Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2011 8:38 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I couldn't resist the temptation to read it raw. I thought that I know some little Japanese, and remember the anime version quite well, so it should be OK, and it was.

Anyway, again - it's quite straightforward adaptation of the third episode of the anime. The only notable differences I could spot was omitting the infamous Mami's "let Kyubey treat us to a cake" wish proposal to Madoka, and... totally different looking Charlotte, with the you-know-which scene quite different in mood - it's much darker in the manga.

And I still can't get used to the manga version of Kyubey. I prefer the anime facial expression-less incarnation much better.
Feb 23, 2011 10:57 AM

Jun 2009
I will wait for translation. I hope it won't take long. ^^ But Charlotte looks really creepy in that scene.
Feb 25, 2011 9:56 PM
May 2010
A part of me wishes that Mami's death looks more like that on the Blu-ray version of the anime, and the other part thinks that's it's almost more gruesome as it was originally...
Feb 25, 2011 10:41 PM

Aug 2010
poor Mami-san =(
even though i already knew it woul happen

it seemed like a much darker scene in the manga but there werent too many differences
Mar 1, 2011 12:08 PM

Jun 2009
Mami's death was even more gruesome but it didn't have the same impact as anime one (maybe because I already knew that would happen).
Mar 1, 2011 9:34 PM

Oct 2010
One of things that came to my attention is the scar on Kamijou’s arm. What that kind of impact it is obvious that it cannot be healed normally because the nerves are most likely damaged permanently. I can see that clearly now with that scar. Other than that Mami’s death was fucking gross and gory more than I though. I could clearly see that in the spoiler
there is completely a blood splatter with head being detached from it’s body. What’s further to add is that the witch looks far more gruesome and insane. To add to all this the after effect of the grief seed striking Mami’s cup in the anime was not good as the huge blood left over on the floor. That had much more impact IMO.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Mar 12, 2011 7:29 PM

Nov 2007
I'm rewatching the series, while comparing with the manga, so lots of observations.
kFYatek said:
And I still can't get used to the manga version of Kyubey. I prefer the anime facial expression-less incarnation much better.

I completely agree. It's like they're trying to give it a Clamp-feel, while I like the uniqueness of the expressionless critter. He also displays emotion in his manner of speaking, going "Don't be ridiculous!" at Sayaka.

.They skipped the talk of Madoka with her dad and the talk between Mami & Homura
(it's still a mystery to me how Mami can see Madoka's potential).
. In the anime QB straight out asks Madoka if she wants power (not in the manga). Quite an important question with Faust in mind, cause in Faust 2, Faust is able to make Mephisto do things while having the well-being of other people in mind. Mephisto meanwhile assumes Faust is after power.
. Lots of symbolism and foreshadowing lost in the manga,especially subtle things like Madoka letting go & reaching for Mami's hand when she says she wants to be a magical girl like her
. I've been thinking: QB pretty much has the same hunting grounds as witches, except he only aims for young girls. Given the speculation that Charlotte was a terminally ill girl when she contracted, it's not that strange that her griefseed hatched at that hospital. Ofcourse, he might have planted it there himself.
Apr 17, 2012 9:54 AM

Aug 2011
Mami's fate in the manga version was very lacking compared to the anime. Here, it seems rushed, she didn't give much of a fight before it was all cut short.
Nov 13, 2012 6:29 PM

Oct 2012
Dako, I absolutely agree with you,
Nov 14, 2015 2:04 PM
Mar 2015
Comparing this version with the anime...

Well, Mami's death was made more gorier and disturbing. Don't know why SHAFT were too lazy to add that, even on the Blu-Rays, maybe because censors.

Even while it is still a masterpiece, Mami's actions were pretty rushed. No shouting of "Final Shot!", and the shootings aren't too detailed.

Despite that, I'm enjoying this version so far.

Will start to watch an anime episode of Madoka, then a manga chapter and see the differences.

More topics from this board

» madoka magica manga

raziel4635 - Jan 19, 2014

6 by removed-user »»
Apr 17, 2022 12:54 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Chapter 8 Discussion

11223344 - Mar 15, 2011

9 by addictedtoliving »»
Feb 11, 2022 1:21 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Chapter 12 Discussion

PerlaNemesis - Jul 12, 2011

8 by Ryuseishun »»
Apr 11, 2020 9:51 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Chapter 9 Discussion

LostWhispers - Jun 12, 2011

6 by CzeroC »»
Feb 24, 2017 12:08 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Chapter 10 Discussion

PerlaNemesis - Jun 16, 2011

3 by Phaetons_Folly »»
Apr 15, 2013 5:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.