Forum Settings
Forums

Sentai Filmworks Licenses IS: Infinite Stratos

New
Feb 12, 2011 9:08 AM
Dec 2009
I apologize for this late post.
According to their official website, Sentai Filmworks announced on January 18 that they have licensed the anime IS: Infinite Stratos. Sentai Filmworks has not specified when and how the anime will be realeased in North America.

Source: Sentai Filmworks website
NaruleachFeb 13, 2011 11:03 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 12, 2011 10:49 AM

Nov 2008
...and Madoka still goes on being unlicensed.

I know that Infinite Stratos is one of the most popula unlicensed anime this seasonr, but what kind of justice is when standard ecchi and harem get picked up straight away when a non-standard, dark and very good mahou shoujo keeps on being ignored?

I guess Madoka has to be next, though, seeing as everything else worth having has been picked up already, and will probably get picked up by Aniplex's USA branch like DRRR was.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Feb 12, 2011 11:37 AM
Jan 2011
Ok................so what now?
Feb 12, 2011 11:55 AM

Oct 2009
They got Yumekui as well :)

Two of my favourite shows this season, I live in hope that someone will get Madoka.

Feb 12, 2011 1:00 PM

Nov 2008
good for u stratos cause i'm watching it too
Feb 12, 2011 1:17 PM

Apr 2010
I can see this one being a good investment. IS is gonna sell big in Japan and Americans like their mechs as well

Feb 12, 2011 1:36 PM

Jan 2010
Shaft shows never get licensed. Despite breaking sales records in Japan, Bakemonogatari hasn't been licensed.

The only Shaft show in recent history to get licensed was Dance in the Vampire Bund. Which was never capitalized by Funimation, probably because of the content that they never screened before picking it up.
Ok™
Feb 12, 2011 2:21 PM
Nov 2010
You've got to be kidding me.
Feb 12, 2011 2:39 PM
Sep 2007
Good news I guess. Probably won't buy it since there most likely won't be an english dub. I still wonder why FUNimation hasn't picked up any titles. Sentai here seems to be doing all the work these days.
Feb 12, 2011 2:47 PM

Jul 2010
"I guess Madoka has to be next, though, seeing as everything else worth having has been picked up already, and will probably get picked up by Aniplex's USA branch like DRRR was."

That and maybe Oreimo.
Feb 12, 2011 2:58 PM

Jun 2008
Who the hell are this Sentai guys who started licensing so much shows now?
Feb 12, 2011 3:00 PM

May 2008
...Great. Star Driver's next I'll bet.

Feb 12, 2011 3:28 PM

Oct 2009
I kind of hope Funimation picks up Madoka...
Feb 12, 2011 3:45 PM

May 2009
Why Sentai? They've got nothing to do with the Gundam series.
Feb 12, 2011 4:05 PM

Oct 2008
Well at least it wasn't funimation that got it.

Feb 12, 2011 4:09 PM

Apr 2010
I doubt Ore no Imouto gets picked up since it hasn't already. Its too controversial for American audiences

Feb 12, 2011 4:11 PM

May 2009
FOE-tan said:

I know that Infinite Stratos is one of the most popula unlicensed anime this seasonr, but what kind of justice is when standard ecchi and harem get picked up straight away when a non-standard, dark and very good mahou shoujo keeps on being ignored?

I guess Madoka has to be next, though, seeing as everything else worth having has been picked up already, and will probably get picked up by Aniplex's USA branch like DRRR was.

Just look at other SHAFT shows. Ther are hardly any that's licensed.
Feb 12, 2011 4:24 PM

Apr 2010
cool i gues...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Feb 12, 2011 4:36 PM

May 2009
FOE-tan said:

Answer is quite simple. The reception to the Gundam series was quite good and Sentai is hoping that by bringing this to America they can earn a fast buck off Americans who think that this is an improvement over the Gundams. And they're not too far off, for by episode 2 I was like ... is that a Strike Freedom?
Feb 12, 2011 4:46 PM

Apr 2010
We all know the general american audience wouldn't be interested in a magical girl show. The majority of older anime fans will look at it and think its for kids, and it won't be aired on tv for kids to watch. So wheres the market for Madoka?

Feb 12, 2011 5:11 PM

Jul 2009
Why would you license a show that is so terribly bad?
Feb 12, 2011 5:56 PM

Aug 2009
FOE-tan said:
Out of topic, but I remember Madoka being licensed in Korea, and it was once in verge of being fucked. They aired it on 9 pm and 1:30 pm golden time, and didn't know about TAT SCENE when they first took it. Broadcasters of course, did not censored it in its first broadcasting, possibly (which means this is a guess) traumatising tons of kids who watched it.
Feb 12, 2011 8:44 PM

Feb 2008
fri said:
While I can't speak for the quality of it, I can answer that question. Though it may be terribly bad to your more analytical anime fan, or a person who isn't into the anime in question, it will appeal well to the lower common denominator. To elaborate more, in a recent skype group chat I had with one of my friends, his cousin, and one of his cousin's lover, the cousin and the lover both suggested Infinite Stratos to him. They of course did this because they like it.

Another friend said he liked it, and without hesitation he added that "it has big boobs." No doubt referring to several of the characters.

To put it simply shit sells.
DamonashuFeb 12, 2011 8:53 PM
Feb 12, 2011 9:50 PM

Apr 2010
fri said:

Quality doesn't matter. Sales potential does. And I can see Stratos selling well in America, for an anime at least. Infinite Stratos is looking to be 12-15k sold in Japan anyways, so it'll be a major hit

Feb 12, 2011 10:13 PM

Jul 2010
GAY, who would want to license infinite harems, wait there is no harem because the main character is gay and or the most dence main character ever.

Why isn't anyone picking up magica, it is CLEARLY the best this season.
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Feb 12, 2011 10:15 PM

Apr 2010
zansabarshadow said:

Shaft shows are never licensed. Look at Bakemonogatari, its the best selling anime series ever, at 80k per dvd/bd. Yet nobody licensed it, either because nobody thought it would sell in America, or Shaft just doesn't believe in licensing them.

Feb 12, 2011 11:53 PM

Mar 2010
Why would someone license anime like this.

Oh yeah, for money. But I still don't undestand why would someone watch this. Oh well, maybe for lulz, but that's it.
Feb 13, 2011 2:28 AM

Aug 2009
So even crap is getting licensed...
Feb 13, 2011 2:35 AM

Jul 2010
RyanSaotome said:
We all know the general american audience wouldn't be interested in a magical girl show. The majority of older anime fans will look at it and think its for kids, and it won't be aired on tv for kids to watch. So wheres the market for Madoka?

^ yeah. why on earth would they. In america gundam is one of the few animes thats known about to the general public. Throwing a mecha anime thats showing good early promising signs onto their belt is a good jab @ funimation (whom we all wish would just quit already. -.-)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2011 3:54 AM

Feb 2008
I got the impression that his was one of this seasons worst series, being harem ecchi with some tacked on story. I have yet to confirm that though since what I got in HotD was enough ecchi to last for years to come. It's kinda sad that Sentai have seems to have picked up the shows that intrests me the least these last few seasons but as always there are fans of these kinds of things as well so good for them.

McRib said:
Shaft shows never get licensed. Despite breaking sales records in Japan, Bakemonogatari hasn't been licensed.

The only Shaft show in recent history to get licensed was Dance in the Vampire Bund. Which was never capitalized by Funimation, probably because of the content that they never screened before picking it up.

Not really true, the first 2 seasons of Hidamari Sketch and Maria Holic have all been released by Sentai Filmworks. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei have been licensed by Media Blasters but have yet to be released. All in 2010.

I personally believe that in the case of Bakemonogatari the licensing cost is way higher than any other show Shaft have produced in the last few years exactly because of those strong sales, they wouldn't have to license it to other countries recoupe production costs. The presumed sales of an American release probably wouldn't be sufficient to cover that cost. Especially seeing how "otakucentric" the show is it would be very hard to sell it to an audiance outside that base. Especially since within that base, the buying crowd isn't in majority compared to the "pay for anime? no way!"/leech-crowd.
[fancy signature here]
Feb 13, 2011 4:25 AM

Jul 2010
zansabarshadow said:
GAY, who would want to license infinite harems, wait there is no harem because the main character is gay and or the most dence main character ever.

If Ichika is the most dense main character ever, then Madoka is the most naïve main character ever. Equally frustrating to me tbh.

Feb 13, 2011 10:05 AM
Jul 2010
FOE-tan said:

it's just shows that people more prefer ecchi and harem than dark mahou..
Feb 13, 2011 11:56 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Onyxthegreat said:
zansabarshadow said:

If Ichika is the most dense main character ever, then Madoka is the most naïve main character ever. Equally frustrating to me tbh.

Exactly: so far, I am putting Madoka and IS on the same level in terms of how much I enjoy watching it. Overall, the current airing season is rather decent. As long as there is some kind of plot progression, I'm ok with it. Honestly speaking, IS level of fanservice is well within the range of bearable. However, the characters' personalities are a bit annoying. At least it gets balanced out by rather good animation quality.

Now, Level-E is something else.....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 13, 2011 11:59 AM

Apr 2010
Whoomp said:
I got the impression that his was one of this seasons worst series, being harem ecchi with some tacked on story. I have yet to confirm that though since what I got in HotD was enough ecchi to last for years to come. It's kinda sad that Sentai have seems to have picked up the shows that intrests me the least these last few seasons but as always there are fans of these kinds of things as well so good for them.

Like I said before, the quality of a series is irrelevant. The sales potential is all that matters... and this show is looking to be a big seller in Japan, and I see no reason it shouldn't be one of the better sellers from this season in America, as well. Its basically Strike Witches in modern times, and Strike Witches is one of the better selling "Otaku pandering" animes in America.

Its the reason the entire anime industry is just making ecchi/harem/fanservice shows over and over again. They are what sells, and the American audience buys them up as well.

Feb 13, 2011 3:21 PM
Jul 2018
indeed. shaft stuff doesnt get licensed. if they did i would buy them all so its a shame.
Feb 13, 2011 4:12 PM
Dec 2008
It would be a smart choice if they licensed Level E
Feb 13, 2011 4:45 PM
Jul 2018
TraumaHunter said:
RyanSaotome said:

^ yeah. why on earth would they. In america gundam is one of the few animes thats known about to the general public. Throwing a mecha anime thats showing good early promising signs onto their belt is a good jab @ funimation (whom we all wish would just quit already. -.-)

i may be wrong but funimation doesnt have gundam, bandai does.
Feb 13, 2011 6:57 PM

Jan 2011
i just hope if stratos is a successful seller in america, they would add more episodes to it =o and i don't know about yalls but i think they should really pick Beezlebub, I've reccomended it too all my friends (anime lovers or not) and they started to like anime shows and asked me for more good animes... this could be a new best seller o.o
Feb 13, 2011 9:55 PM

Mar 2008
Monad said:
Who the hell are this Sentai guys who started licensing so much shows now?

Sentai Filmworks is a Japanese licensing company that entered into a partnership with the former ADV Films which is now Section 23 films.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Feb 13, 2011 11:15 PM
Jul 2010
WTF do they have to hurry license all anime now for ?
they don´t even dub (i hate them)
Feb 13, 2011 11:19 PM

Apr 2010
Good for USA, but in LA we are fucked... I think the only lincensed animes are dragon ball,sailor moon and card captors sakura, so don't complain...
Feb 14, 2011 12:32 AM

Sep 2009
RyanSaotome said:
zansabarshadow said:

Shaft shows are never licensed. Look at Bakemonogatari, its the best selling anime series ever, at 80k per dvd/bd. Yet nobody licensed it, either because nobody thought it would sell in America, or Shaft just doesn't believe in licensing them.

Bakemonogatari sold very well, but best selling anime series it certainly is NOT.
Feb 14, 2011 12:46 AM

Apr 2010
I should amend my statement. Best selling anime in the last 15 years.

--------01~10--------
*174,353 Evangelion (1995)
*81,499 Gundam (1979)
*71,363 Bakemonogatari(4巻第1週まで)(2009)
*69,247 Gundam SEED DESTINY (2004)
*58,563 Gundam SEED (2002)
*52,923 Dragon Ball GT (1996)
*52,900 FMA (2003)
*47,671 Code Geass (2006)
*46,081 Macross F (2008)
*45,023 Cowboy Bebop (1998)
--------11~20--------
*41,337 Code Geass R2 (2008)
*41,037 Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)
*40,832 K-ON!(最終巻第1週)(2009)
*40,471 Dragon Ball Z (1989)
*38,349 Nadesico (1996)
*37,570 Gundam 00 (2007)
*37,436~37,441 Future Boy Conan (1978)
*31,696 Gundam W (1995)
*29,146 Lucky Star (2007)

http://www.mangashare.com/forums/threads/15208-Japan-s-Top-20-Best-Selling-Anime
RyanSaotomeFeb 15, 2011 9:07 AM

Feb 14, 2011 2:34 AM

Aug 2009
^Then, we can just say it is the best selling TV animation in 21th century, right?... ;)
Feb 14, 2011 3:13 AM

Jan 2011
Whoomp said:

McRib said:

Not really true, the first 2 seasons of Hidamari Sketch and Maria Holic have all been released by Sentai Filmworks. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei have been licensed by Media Blasters but have yet to be released. All in 2010.

I personally believe that in the case of Bakemonogatari the licensing cost is way higher than any other show Shaft have produced in the last few years exactly because of those strong sales, they wouldn't have to license it to other countries recoupe production costs. The presumed sales of an American release probably wouldn't be sufficient to cover that cost. Especially seeing how "otakucentric" the show is it would be very hard to sell it to an audiance outside that base. Especially since within that base, the buying crowd isn't in majority compared to the "pay for anime? no way!"/leech-crowd.

Exactly. Bakemonogatari would never be a success outside Japan. I mean, half the show is about playing with japanese words and idioms. How could you localize something like that? There is no way you could dub it succesfully, you'd have to butcher every last piece of it. Even in the subs you have to consantly pause and read explanations every 5 minutes about what the characters are saying. Even if the company that made Bagemonogatari let the show be licenced abroad, that would only serve to spoil it's reputation, as it would probably be a total failure.
Feb 15, 2011 2:24 AM
Dec 2010
It's nice to see that a GOOD show like Infinite Stratos got licensed (what, a week after it aired?). Though, might as well not dub it, since it has some quality VA.

Also nice to see that crap shows will stay unlicensed.
Feb 15, 2011 2:53 AM

Aug 2009
yFSC said:
It's nice to see that a GOOD show like Infinite Stratos got licensed (what, a week after it aired?). Though, might as well not dub it, since it has some quality VA.

Also nice to see that crap shows will stay unlicensed.
It's good as your post.
Feb 21, 2011 4:22 PM

Jun 2009
i think this might be a good investment
Feb 24, 2011 6:06 PM

Jan 2011
is there only 12 episodes to IS? or other episodes will be added soon?
Feb 3, 2012 7:21 PM

Jun 2009
its being dubbed and it comes out this april check it out on amazon.com
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by BankaiGoku »»
31 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
3 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

10 by malvarez1 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

11 by MantaRaydiated »»
Today, 10:50 AM

» 'Hitoribocchi no Isekai Kouryaku' Unveils Production Staff, Additional Cast, Teaser Promo for Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Azuchi »»
Today, 4:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.