How would you rate this manga?
Feb 11, 2011 9:40 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Manga: train_man densha otoko

MAL Manga Information Page: train_man densha otoko

MAL Score - 8.19 (by 891 users)
Ranked - #336
Popularity - #908

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the manga that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate a manga: Art, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Art - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Art - discuss any pros and cons of the art styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Character - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to specific characters in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 4 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to seeing how this discussion will develop.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

train_man densha otoko was NOT inducted into the club Manga list:
3 Yes - 20.0%
12 No - 80.0%

32 Don't know this manga - 68.0% of the total number polled
0 Abstained - 0.0% of the total number polled
Dr_TokamiSep 2, 2017 8:42 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 11, 2011 11:20 PM

Feb 2010
Since I have nominated this once, I feel obliged to say something.

A few years ago, I checked out this manga from some recommendations. After 5 chapters or so, I dropped it because it was bland and didn't sustain my interest. Fast forward to early 2011, I came across what appears to be the source of this story. Apparently, it is based on reality where a geek posted in 2chan looking for love advices and this was one of the most discussed story among Japanese users in the Internet. 'Densha', 'Hermes' are popular memes.

With this information in mind, my perception of the story changes. What was initially boring and bland turns out to be, ironically, interesting. This was partly because a credible source eliminates one of egregious pitfalls in slice of life genre,which was being unrealistic. It also helps to enhance the humor when we relate with the protagonist, like the silly things you'll laugh at when you talk about a friend ( that resemble Densha ) within your own click. This story is basically about an awkward geek seeking help from 2chan in his love conquest.

The interactions between Densha and 2Chan is one of the highlights of the story. I find that it is portrays fairly accurately. One may argue the Internet is filled with trolls and they will be the first to crucified Densha rather than helping him. Based on what I have seen, even in a place full of trolls, whenever a serious problem was brought up people tend to give serious advices. Now, 2chan's response may not be unrealistic but it is definitely heavily romanticized here.

I can understand why 'Hermes' capture the hearts of many male users in 2Chan. She was shown to be kind, nurturing, gracious and she looks like this TV actress.I may be nitpicking here as I feel she was depicted a little too flawless in the manga.

This is an incredibly lighthearted manga. For the past few you decides, I have chose to abstain. I didn't quite like the manga but I am not sure whether it is exemplary within its genre due to my rather limited exposure. In this case, it was the exact opposite. I enjoyed reading this manga but I know better slice of life romance manga, some which were rejected in this club. Therefore, I have to say No. If this was indeed inducted in the club, there are 2 others manga which bear the same story, shouldn't we be choosing the best lot out of them? Besides, it has not been proven that the story was completely authentic, although I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Summary:

Base Score - 7
+1 for making me smile

Verdict: No
Feb 12, 2011 7:45 AM

Aug 2009
I have to admit it, It was a fun read, but there's still too many flaws for this to get a yes from me.

First, for a manga that was published in 2007, the artwork is outdated. It was not bad to the point of bleeding, but as a whole, I just found the character design to be just plain ugly.

Second, I was actually impressed by how the development would go in the first chapters as I didn't read the synopsis of this story, nor did I knew the original true story. The bad thing, Is that after 10 chapters or so, it becomes boringly repetitive. Densha ask for a solution on 2chan, they help him, it works and then a single page is shown where everyone is saying "woot". In short, I felt that the story dragged on for too long.

Densha Otoko is, as live2win said, heavily romanticized. It does try to keep a sense of realism, but the development of the story was just too perfect for my liking. I can easily recommend this manga to basically everyone, but it's far from perfection and far from the best of its genre.

No.
-Fixing-
Feb 12, 2011 9:26 PM

Sep 2008
I have to agree with both posts above. Enjoyable, but not quite there for being exceptional. I have to say that if it weren't for the 2ch users, I would have thought that Densa Otoko's love story is a bit bland and even a tad predictable in terms of development.

I guess I can recommend it who wants a quick read (really easy to read as I've finished the whole thing in less than hour) and might be a suitable (or not?) love story for the upcoming Valentine's Day. :)

P.S. Question: isn't it that 2ch and 2chan are completely different sites? Or are they same? I always thought 2ch is the text board (in which the case for Densha Otoko) and 2chan is an imageboard. But not sure.
Feb 13, 2011 8:32 PM

Jul 2009
I think this manga is a good one. Its story is indeed simple and the development is predictable but even without some drama it managed to provide some good and heartwarming romance scene. It's not bad once in a while we have a simple romance story but manage to entertain and made the reader feel enjoy when reading it.

The artwork maybe the weakest point of this manga, but it's the author drawing style. I realized this after reading some other his work.

Well, overall this is an enjoyable manga and I'd recommend it to everyone who wants to read a good romance story. A yes from me.
Feb 15, 2011 5:39 AM

Feb 2008
Overall, I can only mirror what has been said in the above few posts. train_man is a light, simple read that, though I would not call it heart-warming, at least stays clear of many of the annoyances of romance stories by not throwing in all kinds of situations solely intended to add drama and spice things up.
In fact, one could say that the story is a remarkably common one. Sure, the initial incident on the train is improbable (though not implausible), as pointed out by the manga itself when copycats fail to repeat the success of Densha, but from there things turn more everyday. Someone seeking answers to his doubts and questions about his love life on the Internet? Pick any chat or board, and with a bit of time you'll see it. Someone willing to change parts of himself for the sake of his love as priorities start to shift? Well, that's almost a given, isn't it? Some initial shyness and stunted communication, drawing things out for far longer than they pehaps ought to have? That's life.
And therein lies perhaps the problem with this manga. As Wilio pointed out, the manga turns repetitive, as someone seeking confirmation and progressing slowly does not make for riveting reading material. There is nothing special about seeking advice on a message board, it just being a substitute direct clique of friends, and the reactions are utterly mundane. The other board members giving their replies to a post for pages on end gets old soon.
Naturally, there is a bit of over-dramatisation, in particular towards the end, and it's also true that Densha is improbably lucky with everything going a tad too smoothly, but overall it does not veer very far from the imaginable and even probable (I liked, for instance, how some board members would take Densha's initial posts to start writing about their own situations, with a few sub-conversations springing up).

In the end, though, this leads to a bit of a paradox. Generally, people are clamouring for a series to provide a realistic portrayal of situations, but when things move close to a possibly actual situation, including the parts where nothing really progresses, one starts to wonder why one is reading a fictional account of something that might be observed in actuality. train_man densha otoko is perhaps too slow and too repetitive for its own good, but it is so by doing away with all the strongly implausible situations that are so often decried in romance stories. So, really, what is it we want?
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Feb 16, 2011 6:17 PM

Sep 2009
Wilio said:
I have to admit it, It was a fun read, but there's still too many flaws for this to get a yes from me.

First, for a manga that was published in 2007, the artwork is outdated. It was not bad to the point of bleeding, but as a whole, I just found the character design to be just plain ugly.

Second, I was actually impressed by how the development would go in the first chapters as I didn't read the synopsis of this story, nor did I knew the original true story. The bad thing, Is that after 10 chapters or so, it becomes boringly repetitive. Densha ask for a solution on 2chan, they help him, it works and then a single page is shown where everyone is saying "woot". In short, I felt that the story dragged on for too long.

Densha Otoko is, as live2win said, heavily romanticized. It does try to keep a sense of realism, but the development of the story was just too perfect for my liking. I can easily recommend this manga to basically everyone, but it's far from perfection and far from the best of its genre.

No.
Basically this.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it. But it wasn't great, and it certainly wasn't anywhere near club-level.

Pretty clear no.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.