Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 10, 2011 8:51 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
At the beginning, we can see Kyouko playing perfect DDR on Claris's Connect. Anyway, Madoka still remains as "let's not fight, be friends instead!" characters ,and she's becoming more and more annoying character to watch, but we have to remember that it's all Kyubei's fault!!

(Later, I loled at Madoka saying, "it would be nice, when I become old enough to drink with mom." By that time, she would be too old to be Mahou "Shoujo" though...)

Anyway, mumblings aside... we end up Madoka (temporarily) killing Sayaka by throwing away her soul gem on the road... WTF? AND Kyubei officially becomes the EVIL MASCOT character as he doesn't seem to care about people's lives... Also, we get to confirm Homura's ability to teleport(!) short distance. :)

There was no major fight, but a cool episode indeed. There were so much new information gained in this one.

P.S: I don't know why MBS keeps changing the airing time of Madoka Magica... -_-
P.S 2: I think my lunch tastes better when watching Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica at the same time. :)

Screenshots of my favorite moments.
kuroshiroiFeb 10, 2011 9:44 AM

Feb 10, 2011 9:00 AM
Jan 2010
welp homura's the best character.
Feb 10, 2011 9:05 AM

Nov 2008
Sayaka poor, was almost died T.T
Feb 10, 2011 9:06 AM

Dec 2007
Lots of new interesting revelations in this episode, especially about the soul gems,QB's role and the bodies of the mahou shoujo.
It raised also the possibilty that Mami isn't dead yet, as Homura still has her intact soul gem. <- I just realized that it wasn't her soul gem she took >_< But anyway, aslong as we don't see the shattered soulgem of Mami it's a possibility we cannot dismiss.

Homura seems to be pretty overpowered, as even Kyouko who's a veteran seems to be taken aback a bit. It's also pretty much confirmed that she's from the future, as she already knows about the witch(valpurgis night?) appearing in two weeks time.
yakisobapanFeb 11, 2011 10:38 PM
Feb 10, 2011 9:07 AM

Apr 2007
stevewiess01 said:
AND Kyubei officially becomes the EVIL MASCOT character as he doesn't seem to care about people's lives
During that whole interchange when Kyouko was dangling him off the bridge, I think he did a good job in taking steps toward a pure amoral characterization rather than as simply evil, although what he did with that grief seed earlier was more than just a tad bit disturbing. Apparently those markings aren't just decorative. Very good episode.
Feb 10, 2011 9:42 AM

Mar 2010
Iri said:
stevewiess01 said:
AND Kyubei officially becomes the EVIL MASCOT character as he doesn't seem to care about people's lives
During that whole interchange when Kyouko was dangling him off the bridge, I think he did a good job in taking steps toward a pure amoral characterization rather than as simply evil, although what he did with that grief seed earlier was more than just a tad bit disturbing. Apparently those markings aren't just decorative. Very good episode.

Maybe I shouldn't have called him evil, but he seemed cold as a steel (especially compared to how he was portrayed in the beginning) and even upsetting emotional Kyouko in the process.

Feb 10, 2011 10:12 AM

Dec 2007
Wtf is madoka doing? Why did she throw Sayaka's soul gem? O___o
Feb 10, 2011 10:24 AM

Nov 2007
Oh my, I couldn't stop laughing when Madoka threw that Soul Gem away.

So what I could gather without subs:
. Homura can teleport and is probably from the future
. QB is AT LEAST a highly amoral character
. Magical Girls are basically lichs, with their Soulgems functioning as phylactery.

Charliehsv said:
It raised also the possibilty that Mami isn't dead yet. Her body got destroyed , but Homura took her unbroken soulgem with her which means that her soul might still be intact.

Not sure about that. I thought Mami's gem was in her hair, so it's was chewed up by Charlotte. Homura took Charlotte's Grief seed in the end.
cleoFeb 10, 2011 10:54 PM
Feb 10, 2011 10:54 AM

Jul 2010
It was unexpected that the old-timer did not know the mechanism.
anyways, will madoka contract under the conditions?
Feb 10, 2011 11:05 AM

Nov 2008
Madoka learned the lesson to never throw a soul gem, since it's a sealed soul as well as a power source you can kill it's user.

Kyubey is cold, cruel, and evil and I will be enjoying him being killed at the end of the series hopefully a brutal and bloody death comes for Kyubey.

Feb 10, 2011 11:14 AM
Apr 2009
I think Madoka is under too much stress and losing her composure :p

Well, who wouldn't?
Feb 10, 2011 12:09 PM

Nov 2008
cleo said:

. Magical Girls are basically lichs, with their Soulgems functioning as phylactery.

Somewhat true with some differences, Lich's are usually a reanimated being (non-existent or dead initially), however Magic Girls are still living beings, but a quite of bit of this is spot on especially the part where destroying the phylactery equals death (Gen went overboard on this though that if leaves the owner, they can die).

I also believe that Sayaka has to die before Madoka will make the contract, damn you Kyubey, you cruel, sadistic critter, why can't you let her peacefully become one even if you have to pressure her half to death with rewards and promises to do so.

Feb 10, 2011 12:10 PM

Jan 2010
Fucking DDR out of nowhere

Goddamn it Shaft
Ok™
Feb 10, 2011 12:36 PM

Oct 2009
KYUUBEYY!! o.o death to him so evil in secret xD!

sayakas half death was random might of been more depressing if she stayed dead turn this anime even more glumey and make madoka even more crazy xD

Feb 10, 2011 12:56 PM

Dec 2010
McRib said:
Fucking DDR out of nowhere

Goddamn it Shaft

Fucking SHAFT see that cene again ,instead Dance Dance Revolution DDR by Shaft means DRUG Dod Reinforcement.
Feb 10, 2011 6:35 PM

Apr 2008
What the....
The souls gems are really them and their bodies are just empty shells!?
KYUUBEYY!!

Also, DDR FTW.
Feb 10, 2011 6:53 PM

Oct 2010
Well at least Kyubey isn't over the top evil, but it's his cold but somewhat amoral reasoning that makes him even more evil.

I really liked this episode! It just keeps getting more intense, you can feel it.
Feb 10, 2011 6:53 PM

Sep 2007
Epic Madoka fail. Her naive attitude and actions nearly cost her friend her life. Kyubey proves once again he is a master troll. He's obviously gaining power by eating all the grief seeds.

Since they mentioned Walpurgisnacht, I'm assuming that a large amount of witches are going to show up very soon or at least a very powerful one.... and then Kyubey reveals himself to be the mastermind.
WasabiFeb 10, 2011 7:25 PM
Feb 10, 2011 7:08 PM

Apr 2010
Iisan-kun said:
Woah, that revelation was epic. I certainly didn't see that one coming...

I think it would've been more interesting if Sayaka had actually died at the hands of Madoka, but that scene's execution was still utter brilliance. Anyway, there's plenty of time for more people to die.

I was really expecting Sayaka to die there. I think that would be the best way to do her death. Just imagine the mental condition Madoka would have after not only seeing a friend dying infront of her, but now killing her best friend without knowing.

Feb 10, 2011 7:09 PM

May 2009
Holy crap... I am at lost for words. That was just... omg I wish Kyouko would have thrown Kyuubey off the bridge. Even if he isn't some evil mastermind he is still a huge jerk. Also Kyuubey eats the grief seeds.... I don't know what to make out of that right now... Also something is coming? A really powerful witch? Ahhh so much stuff >_<

Great Episode. It really seems like if you are not a magical girl you should not be involved in this world.

Also it seems I was more right than I could imagine with the soul gem literally being the magical girls soul.
Nana-chiiFeb 10, 2011 7:12 PM
Feb 10, 2011 7:12 PM

May 2010
I think I understand what they mean by Homura being an irregular. Basically saying she can become a mahou shoujo without needing a soul gem I guess? Or didn't she take the Grief Seed after Charlotte killed off Mami? I don't think it ever showed her transferring the Grief Seed to her Soul Gem though.
Feb 10, 2011 7:24 PM

Apr 2010
Here is my theory about Homura:

She is actually a time traveler who took the appearance of her old body through her wish to become a mahou shoujo. This would explain how she always appears out of no where (her power would be time/space manipulation), and the reason she has come back is because she experienced all of this first hand in the past, and wants to stop her two best friends (From after she transferred into the school) from going down the same path they did the first time, which ended up with both of them dead.

This would fit why she is so adament that both Madoka and Sayaka not become magical girls, and why she even keeps on helping Sayaka after acting like she didn't care about her anymore.

Does this make any sense, or am I just rambling?

Feb 10, 2011 7:29 PM

Apr 2009
Kyubei is the best mahou shoujo mascot character EVER. Now if only Sayaka would have really died...
Feb 10, 2011 7:35 PM

Apr 2010
i dont understand everyones total surprise at the soul gem thing... i thought it was kinda obvious... which is why my jaw dropped when madoka threw sayaka's gem...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Feb 10, 2011 7:38 PM
Aug 2010
Woo~ Go Homura, I love her! She keeps saving Sayaka and Madoka. I was really hoping Sayaka would die right there. xD
Feb 10, 2011 7:46 PM

Nov 2010
very good episode indeed. but damn i dont know how much longer i can wait, i want Madoka to make the contract already. the season is already halfway over.
Feb 10, 2011 7:50 PM

Aug 2010
Wow, this show never ceases to bring something different to the table. It was good that Sayaka isn't gone though because that would just be too much sadness for even this show. I really hope Madoka becomes a mahou shoujo but I think the point of this show is to show how terrible it actually is. Not all sunshine and rainbows like cardcaptor or something like that.
Feb 10, 2011 7:50 PM

Jun 2007
Fuzzhx said:
very good episode indeed. but damn i dont know how much longer i can wait, i want Madoka to make the contract already. the season is already halfway over.

Pretty freaking obvious that Madoka making the contract leads to something bad happening. Which is why Homura wants to prevent it and Kyubey is so insisted on doing it. He's doing everything he can to pressure her into doing it.

The show isn't about Madoka being one, it's about preventing her from doing so.
Feb 10, 2011 7:54 PM

Aug 2009
SUDDENLY DDR!

Kyubey's face during the last part of the episode

Wasabi said:
Epic Madoka fail. Her naive attitude and actions nearly cost her friend her life.

Actually, considering she didn't know that was going to happen and she just had a talk with her mom about doing things for people even though they might hate you....that was probably the right decision. Of course, it quickly became the wrong one
Feb 10, 2011 7:55 PM
Feb 2009
Tbh, I really hope Miki dies, shes played her role of joker, now goooo. Nah... not like that but I pretty much hate her character. The main character annoys me to death. While I say that, I love the other characters and their depth but theres a freaking limit to timidness and uselessness I might as well go watch some rape hentai (do not want), those heroines do more.
Feb 10, 2011 7:58 PM
Apr 2010
When Sakura said that that if Sayaka wanted Kyousuke that much, she should just smash his arms and legs so both his heart and body becomes hers, it was probably one of the coldest, and most evil thing I've ever heard.
But at the same time I laughed when she said it.
Then I laughed when Sakura said she died when her stone was thrown into open traffic.
Is there something wrong with me?!

Oh and Kyubei is starting to tick me off now.... He's such an instigator!!!!!!!! That and he's job "ripping out your soul and transforming it into a soul gem"! I think it's because he keeps eating those grief seeds. It's getting to him.

And my god.... It makes me think about Majou Shoujos' true form altogether.... FFFFFF SAILOR MOON!!!!
Feb 10, 2011 8:01 PM

Jul 2009
Shit I almost had a stroke watching the last five minutes. This anime is skilled at freaking me the hell out.

Madoka confirmed for awesome protagonist:
From her perspective, she's doing exactly what a normal human being would do, but she's trapped in an insane world where our real world logic doesn't exist. If you were in her shoes you'd try and save your best friend too, no matter what the cost. Too bad KYUBEY IS A DICK.
Feb 10, 2011 8:03 PM

Nov 2010
Oh great, they're liches now.
Feb 10, 2011 8:06 PM

Aug 2010
Dam Homura is just too badass. Kyubei's still evil as hell trying to persuade everyone to be a freaking mahou shoujo.

Good job Madoka you just freaking KILLED HER.
billngFeb 10, 2011 8:14 PM
Feb 10, 2011 8:06 PM

Jul 2010
stevewiess01 said:
[P.S 2: I think my lunch tastes better when watching Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica at the same time. :)
Definitely. I don't know why, but the order in which the Thursday shows got subbed today was just abnormal.
RyanSaotome said:
Iisan-kun said:
I think it would've been more interesting if Sayaka had actually died at the hands of Madoka, but that scene's execution was still utter brilliance. Anyway, there's plenty of time for more people to die.
I was really expecting Sayaka to die there. I think that would be the best way to do her death. Just imagine the mental condition Madoka would have after not only seeing a friend dying infront of her, but now killing her best friend without knowing.
It would have had a lot more impact if they didn't drag it out for such a long moment. The "OMG!" part passed quickly as they talked about it (for me at least). As for Madoka's mental condition, she'd be worse than she is now and just cry for the whole rest of the show. :P

What really happened:
Madoka: Kyubey, say something!
Kyubey: All I can say is that that's too reckless.

What I thought would happen:
Madoka: Kyubey, say something!
Kyubey: Become a Mahou Shoujo! :3

Seriously, was I the only one who thought this? XD

Overall, fun episode. I like the Mahou Shoujo vs. Mahou Shoujo concept a lot better than the Mahou Shoujo versus witches thing. It's just a lot more entertaining to watch.
Feb 10, 2011 8:24 PM

Nov 2007
RyanSaotome said:
Here is my theory about Homura:

She is actually a time traveler who took the appearance of her old body through her wish to become a mahou shoujo. This would explain how she always appears out of no where (her power would be time/space manipulation), and the reason she has come back is because she experienced all of this first hand in the past, and wants to stop her two best friends (From after she transferred into the school) from going down the same path they did the first time, which ended up with both of them dead.

This would fit why she is so adament that both Madoka and Sayaka not become magical girls, and why she even keeps on helping Sayaka after acting like she didn't care about her anymore.

Does this make any sense, or am I just rambling?

Yeah, that theory has been around since ep 1, as Homura had so much knowledge.
Thing is: she's not concerned about Sayaka, she focuses on Madoka.
That's where the Homura = future Madoka theory starts.

Can't wait for Walpurgis night
Wiki: Walpurgis Night (in German folklore) the night of 30 April (May Day's eve), when witches meet on the Brocken mountain and hold revels with their gods..."
In Faust Pt.1: Mephisto seeks to distract Faust by taking him to the witches' sabbath of Walpurgis Night, but Faust insists on rescuing Gretchen from the death sentence she has been given after going insane and drowning her newborn child.
In Faust 2: An artificial human made by Faust's former famulus, Wagner, by means of an alchemical process, the Homunculus, leads Faust and Mephistopheles to the "Classical Walpurgisnacht", where they encounter gods and monsters from Greek antiquity.

In part 1 Faust wants knowledge, in pt.2 he's atoning for his sins.
The more I think about it, the more it seems like Homura (Faust pt.2) = future Madoka (Faust pt.1)

Especially put together with the Fate/Stay Night references:
Homura = Archer
Madoka = Shirou
Mami = Gilgamesh? (she used Gate of Babylon)
Kyouko = Lancer?
Sayaka = Saber?????
Feb 10, 2011 8:26 PM

Jan 2011
honestly at this point i really wonder how many more secrets Kyubey has hidden that he just happend to forget to tell everyone!,and he really is heartless.
Feb 10, 2011 8:32 PM

Apr 2010
cleo said:

Yeah, that theory has been around since ep 1, as Homura had so much knowledge.
Thing is: she's not concerned about Sayaka, she focuses on Madoka.
That's where the Homura = future Madoka theory starts.

I was thinking this, but I don't see how its possible. If she was Madoka, how would she have gotten back to the past, because it seems her goal is to stop Madoka from becoming a magical girl, and if Madoka became a magical girl in the past, then her wish was used up. So how would Madoka be able to use a wish to become herself in the past?

Feb 10, 2011 8:33 PM

Sep 2007
garfield15 said:
SUDDENLY DDR!

Kyubey's face during the last part of the episode

Wasabi said:
Epic Madoka fail. Her naive attitude and actions nearly cost her friend her life.

Actually, considering she didn't know that was going to happen and she just had a talk with her mom about doing things for people even though they might hate you....that was probably the right decision. Of course, it quickly became the wrong one

Yes but still, it is her naive idealistic world of pretty girls working together and cookies and cream that led to that moment. That speech she gave in the beginning of the episode just made me facedesk for how naive she really is.

cleo said:
Especially put together with the Fate/Stay Night references:
Homura = Archer
Madoka = Shirou
Mami = Gilgamesh? (she used Gate of Babylon)
Kyouko = Lancer?
Sayaka = Saber?????

I honestly see zero relevance to FSN other than cliche character archetypes. Homura as Archer is only barely true if this so called time travel theory is even true. Madoka and Shirou might share similar naive and idealistic views, but so do lots of other protagonists in other shows. Mami as Gilgamesh? Just because she used unlimited gun works? Other than that, I see no comparison other than they both wear gold/yellow. Kyouko as Lancer just because they're bloodthirsty and uses a lance? Sayaka as Saber? Sure, they may "see" a "righteous" path, but so do a lot of other white knight-type characters.
WasabiFeb 10, 2011 8:44 PM
Feb 10, 2011 8:39 PM

Sep 2010
I never really liked this show up until now.
Madoka's talk with her mother and the revelation of Kyubey and a magic girl's nature made things a lot more interesting.
Feb 10, 2011 8:46 PM

May 2008
I'm sure many have noted already that Mami is likely not dead, because we don't know what happened to her soul gem after she "dies". Homura may have retrieved it amid all her teleporting.

I'll take that a bit farther and imagine that something happened in a scene after her death that we didn't see, and she likely staged this incident with Homura's help. I'm wondering if Homura's ability isn't teleportation but actually some sort of time freeze ability which would aid in this. It's even possible that Mami is sharing control of Homura's body..... but I digress.

Just when you start thinking that madoka won't get any deeper, it does. I'm glad to follow and see how deep the rabbit hole goes. When the shit hits the fan it will be so beautiful.

Also Kyuubey's evilness was showing through a little more than usual in this episode. He really must be getting impatient, drooling over Madoka's soul.
sakaFeb 10, 2011 8:49 PM

I am a banana.
Feb 10, 2011 8:48 PM

Jan 2010
Dammit! I was hoping Kyouko would kill Kyubey.
Feb 10, 2011 8:57 PM

Dec 2009
I really wanted Madoka to kill Sayaka like this :o .... damn it >_< ...
Feb 10, 2011 8:59 PM

Apr 2010
saka said:
I'm sure many have noted already that Mami is likely not dead, because we don't know what happened to her soul gem after she "dies". Homura may have retrieved it amid all her teleporting.

If the manga is to be believed, it shows Mamis decapitated body after Charlotte killed her, and her soul gem was on her hat. Plus, her clothes went back to her school uniform right when she was killed, thus the power of the jewel was gone. I'm pretty confident Mami is still dead.

Feb 10, 2011 9:00 PM

Oct 2008
So there could be a possibility that Mami could be revived (if her body was somehow found). Homura does have her Soul Gem.

This show just manages to keep pilling on the suspense.
And the OST for this show is absolutely amazing.
Good music can make even a terrible show decent.

Good music + good writing + great characters = Madoka

And what is Walpurgis Night?
OmniknightFeb 10, 2011 9:05 PM
Feb 10, 2011 9:03 PM

Apr 2010
Omniknight said:
So there could be a possibility that Mami could be revived (if her body was somehow found). Homura does have her Soul Gem.

To clarify, it was Charlottes grief seed that Homura picked up at the end of Ep. 3, not Mamis soul gem. We've never seen Mamis soul gem since her death

Feb 10, 2011 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
I'm anxious to see how this ends now. Getting Kyubey to be the bad guy is too easy, I'm looking more at the others. Homura and Mami (yea I said it >:D) are the 2 prime suspects for me, I'm not taking the "Kyubey is evil" bait.
Feb 10, 2011 9:07 PM

Dec 2007
LOL. Kyubey just gets eviler and eviler as every episode goes by.

So basically the more magic you use the more tainted your soul becomes.
Feb 10, 2011 9:08 PM

Oct 2008
RyanSaotome said:
Omniknight said:

To clarify, it was Charlottes grief seed that Homura picked up at the end of Ep. 3, not Mamis soul gem. We've never seen Mamis soul gem since her death

Is it a currently established fact? I know the "gem" had the shape of witch's seed, but for a few seconds while she was holding it, it looked very similar to Mami's gem, with the orange hue to boot.

Around 22:06 Episode 3, Nubladder subs.
Feb 10, 2011 9:11 PM

Apr 2010
Omniknight said:
Is it a currently established fact? I know the "gem" had the shape of witch's seed, but for a few seconds while she was holding it, it looked very similar to Mami's gem, with the orange hue to boot.

Around 22:06 Episode 3, Nubladder subs.
The "orange hue" may be from the fact that Charlotte had consumed Mamis soul gem, so Charlotte also had the power of Mami in her. Though this does bring up the question that if Charlotte had consumed Mamis soul gem, and Homura took the grief seed with that power in it, would that be enough to revive Mami?
desolatoFeb 11, 2011 12:01 PM

Pages (11) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.