Forum Settings
Forums
xxxHOLiC Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 11, 2011 12:44 PM

Nov 2009
Yes, i was all excited when they decided to countinue it past yuuko dieing ... but i much rather they had not. The whole last 20+ chapters have done nothing but add worthless chapters to it, and make the ending even worst.

The fact that he didn't use the egg to remove his memory, and that they sped through time like that, which was surprising though, easily discarding everyone like that.. ehh.
Feb 11, 2011 4:22 PM

Sep 2008
If they didn't have any ideas of how making Rou decently, they simple shouldn't have done it. Just that. 7/10.
Feb 11, 2011 5:09 PM
Feb 2009
I, myself, am also feeling a little uncomfortable about the ending. However, I was really more into the anime than the manga. and from what I can tell from the ro ova. There are some hints that Yuko may be alive. Also I saw a screenshot from the new one, and Yuko is there! So maybe the new Ova will answer some questions that the manga couldn't. And who knows? Maybe they might sneak in an epilogue chapter in the 19th volume.
Feb 11, 2011 8:37 PM

Nov 2007
OMG WHAT!!!!!

WHY CLAMP?

It is very hard for me to hate CLAMP but OMG how I want to hate them with a passion over there ending. I know that CLAMP being CLAMP that is a reason for it. And I thought it odd that sudden that characters were no longer appearing but WHAT?

Imma gonna go corner now. T___T
Feb 12, 2011 2:43 AM
Feb 2011
At first I hated it...but I feel ok with it now, but I still think it's CLAMP's worst ending so far. The OAD may give us something more, hopefully details about what happened those hundreds years before.... hopefully.
DramaticDreamerFeb 23, 2011 2:50 AM
Feb 12, 2011 1:18 PM

Oct 2008
i agree that it was a shitty ending, but come on people, that's no reason to drop the whole score! i mean the manga still rocked and i liked as much as i liked tsubasa. but what the hell's up with all the mangakas recently!? alot have been really lazy and ruining their stories..

but still, disappointing
and now i'll never be able to read it and look at doumeki without crying...
Feb 13, 2011 9:53 AM

Jul 2009
The ending was exactly what I expected: very ambiguous. However, I'm going to keep my rating for xxxHolic 8/10 since I try not to let bad endings affect my enjoyment of a manga/anime but it really fell off badly after Tsubasa ended and it became a monthly serialisation.
Feb 13, 2011 4:05 PM
Aug 2009
That was SO CLAMP.
I mean, they will use the characters or the story in the future, again. Just too obvious.

Or wait, maybe they are just crazy...

As already said here, surely there will be an extra chapter; but it's not like if that will solve things... don't hope something good.
Feb 13, 2011 5:33 PM

Aug 2008
Well... What can I say... it was a what the fuck ending... In both ways... bad and good way... I seriously think it's a screwed up ending, but since it's CLAMP me needs to readjust my parameters of enjoyment and rating... Ambiguous... it was again an ambiguous ending and that makes me so pissed, but also we got clues and IMAGES of what's the end of this journey... a long one nonetheless.

What I liked. Time passing without being noticed. A new Doumeki. The feeling of being freed and the need to move on. I really liked that and especially the feeling of moving on and freedom... ata should stop mourning and enjoy life, just as Zombie Yuuko did while she was alive.... Quite true... Man this story is so tragic :(

What I disliked: The feeling of being rushed... The sudden change of pace and pretty much the big difference between Rou and the other part of xXxHOLiC Monthly serialisations and the time between releases really killed HOLiC....

But really pissed me off was the fact that the so awaited promised ending that would tie up the whole TRC/xXxH universe never came... Is this really the closure for this universe? I don't think so... there's no clue in how TRC really ended.... And we got an open ending here with xXxHOLiC... that's just not right. That means CLAMP got lazy and ended their works in just random ways....

At least the meaning and power of the egg is clear to me... it's a tool to make Watanuki forget completely about Yuuko. Pretty much a tool to make Watanuki a normal person... A tool to get rid of all his powers... The dreams.... and Yuuko... Oh btw, did someone notice that Wata used Clow's seal to invoke his powers and make that cage for the Butterfly? That was cool

What really surprised me is the fact that the Dou we knew and cared for is not there anymore, but the Dou that's keeping Wata company is no other than a descendant of Shizuka Doumeki... what the heck... I really didn't see that coming... But I guess some clues were laid down here and there for us to notice before this last chapter... This Doumeki didn't really behaved like the one we knew... He was strange... plus... He crossed his arms immediately... something that the other one would never ever do in his life....

In a sense... it was an awful ending, but it's a satisfying one since this means that we will never really see again Yuuko, and that now Wata is finally powerful enough to move on and successfully be the rightful store owner.... But where's Mokona... and Maru and Moro?

And so that's it? No Epilogue.... maybe we'll see one... I hope that answers some lose ties that were left here and there... or will they do some random epilogue that tells us nothing... I hope we get a epilogue with the people of the Universe....

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2011 3:26 AM
Aug 2010
So, I'm wondering, when exactly did the new Doumeki come in, was it when they moved to when Watanuki took over the shop, or just before the series ended? I mean, we were wondering why "Kohane" called Doumeki by a different name, was this where they hooked up or maybe they were both children/grand-children of the original characters we knew... DAMN YOU CLAMP!

Now that Watanuki is freelancing and not being confined to the shop, what happens to Moro and Maru? Hopefully, they'll do what they did with Tsubasa, and come out with something that will tie everything up in the end...but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part...
Feb 14, 2011 6:10 AM

Oct 2009
Wow. The ending was awesome. But so sad and cruel :(
Feb 15, 2011 7:30 AM

May 2010
Even though the ending was abrupt, I'm not going to lower my score. I mean, this isn't one of those series that necessarily progresses toward a goal. And I loved the art style.

But I sort of wonder if Watanuki will re-surface in Gate 7....
Feb 18, 2011 10:03 AM

Feb 2008
Hopefully they'll make another chapter to conclude things or otherwise it'll be... not satisfying.
Feb 18, 2011 1:53 PM

May 2008
CLAMP.... GO FUCK YOUR DAMNED CRAPPY ENDING.

FFFWWUUUUHHHHH. I can't even begin. Okay, I can. Seriously, I don't mind if the ending is dramatic/somebody dies/they can only see each other really rarely. But this? THIS??? What's this? This rushed, stupid thing.

Who did Shizuka end up with? And Himawari? And how come Shizuka's great-grandson is sitting with Watanuki so calmly? WHY CLAMP? WHYYYY?

xxxHOLiC was my favourite manga from them. emphasis on the 'was'.
Feb 19, 2011 9:13 PM
Jun 2009
The revelation that this was last chapter had me going, "Wait, what?!?!" Now, I guess it makes some weird sense after thinking about the last page. But, GAH! Now I have a slight headache from the news and mild depression. Seriously, that ending was NOT uplifting in the slightest for me. Watanuki. T_T *goes to read chapter 40 of Kimi ni Todoke*
Feb 24, 2011 10:19 AM

Aug 2010
Oh the raging. This is how CLAMP gets their sustenance.

People mad about them not saying when new Doumeki came in don't get the idea of agelessness. Doumeki looked like his grandfather and no one raged about that, yet his grandson looking like him is unacceptable? Right. It also makes sense for the grandson to know a lot about Watanuki. I mean seriously, if you were friends with an immortal, wouldn't you tell your children and grandchildren about them?

The end of the series seemingly drug on and this explains why. The passing of time. It wasn't an abrupt end, it was setting up for showing this. Sure there's loose ends, but it does make more sense when you tie it all together.

All in all, it's a fitting end. They could have ended with Yuuko, but it would have been unfulfilling and people would have wanted more. This way, it's clear there's really no more. There was never a clear plot ending and this shows that. But yeah, it's not my favorite ending, and they could have done it better, but it was thought out and it fit the story.
Feb 26, 2011 7:12 AM

Jan 2009
Wow, that was a bit sudden. Though I actually expected something like this as an ending. In my opinion, this series went on a downhill after TRC ended, I just couldn't enjoy it any longer. Not my favourite series, not my favourite ending, still it wasn't bad.
Mar 10, 2011 5:15 PM
Aug 2009
DeliriousPanda said:
All in all, it's a fitting end. They could have ended with Yuuko, but it would have been unfulfilling and people would have wanted more. This way, it's clear there's really no more. There was never a clear plot ending and this shows that.

I don't agree at all.
In fact, the "unexpected" ending makes a big hole where CLAMP can re-take the story or whatever they want.

Just for saying something, their new manga, Gate 7, is about dreams, when dreams become almost the main part of the plot in xxxHolic at the end.

I'm not saying that they will make a continuation, but their stories always mix with other works they have made or will make later.

For example, CLAMP made Tokyo Babylon, which (without spoilers), ends really abruptly. Everyone thought that was the end, but the characters from this work later appear in x/1999, and there the plot is continued in some way, even when they are not the main characters.

This is not an end. This is a cliffhanger!
Mar 13, 2011 8:13 PM

Nov 2007
I think CLAMP might have plans about a new manga which has tsubasa's and xxxholic storylines merged.

Mar 14, 2011 10:06 AM

Apr 2008
It's ridiculous how Clamp has given up in getting decent endings. They'll just really end xxxholic in Gate 7 or whatever manga they write after.. It really makes me believe they aren't ending X because they no idea what ending to write and they can't do an open ending to finish somewhere else because they're already using Tokyo Babylon characters..

The ending makes sense, but it doesn't add much to the first ending, there's the slowly passing of time and how Wata stands by waiting for Yuuko but that's what they'd told us in the first ending, that Wata would wait for Yuuko forever and the wish granting in the last chapters were mostly boring and useless, I get that they couldn't show anyone else aging, but...

So, we're stuck waiting for them to get a new manga were they really end this..
Mar 21, 2011 8:28 PM

Apr 2010
rebwaters said:
Well... What can I say... it was a what the fuck ending... In both ways... bad and good way... I seriously think it's a screwed up ending, but since it's CLAMP me needs to readjust my parameters of enjoyment and rating... Ambiguous... it was again an ambiguous ending and that makes me so pissed, but also we got clues and IMAGES of what's the end of this journey... a long one nonetheless.

What I liked. Time passing without being noticed. A new Doumeki. The feeling of being freed and the need to move on. I really liked that and especially the feeling of moving on and freedom... ata should stop mourning and enjoy life, just as Zombie Yuuko did while she was alive.... Quite true... Man this story is so tragic :(

What I disliked: The feeling of being rushed... The sudden change of pace and pretty much the big difference between Rou and the other part of xXxHOLiC Monthly serialisations and the time between releases really killed HOLiC....

But really pissed me off was the fact that the so awaited promised ending that would tie up the whole TRC/xXxH universe never came... Is this really the closure for this universe? I don't think so... there's no clue in how TRC really ended.... And we got an open ending here with xXxHOLiC... that's just not right. That means CLAMP got lazy and ended their works in just random ways....

At least the meaning and power of the egg is clear to me... it's a tool to make Watanuki forget completely about Yuuko. Pretty much a tool to make Watanuki a normal person... A tool to get rid of all his powers... The dreams.... and Yuuko... Oh btw, did someone notice that Wata used Clow's seal to invoke his powers and make that cage for the Butterfly? That was cool

What really surprised me is the fact that the Dou we knew and cared for is not there anymore, but the Dou that's keeping Wata company is no other than a descendant of Shizuka Doumeki... what the heck... I really didn't see that coming... But I guess some clues were laid down here and there for us to notice before this last chapter... This Doumeki didn't really behaved like the one we knew... He was strange... plus... He crossed his arms immediately... something that the other one would never ever do in his life....

In a sense... it was an awful ending, but it's a satisfying one since this means that we will never really see again Yuuko, and that now Wata is finally powerful enough to move on and successfully be the rightful store owner.... But where's Mokona... and Maru and Moro?

And so that's it? No Epilogue.... maybe we'll see one... I hope that answers some lose ties that were left here and there... or will they do some random epilogue that tells us nothing... I hope we get a epilogue with the people of the Universe....

Signs,
Green

totally with u...
:'( i hope theres an epilogue ne....
Mar 22, 2011 9:12 PM

Jan 2011
I agree. That was the worst ending of anything I've ever read. Such a great series and i was so excited to keep reading. it was so bad i cried a little.
Mar 22, 2011 10:27 PM

Aug 2008
Rou (not the OAV, the manga) is, to me, a big epilogue. We all knew what was going to happen - Yuuko was finally able to pass away, and Watanuki took her place. That's it.

We were able to see how the rest of the characters grew older and still took care of him.

What did you want to read? Did you want Yuuko to come back to life and screw space/time again?

I don't get you, people. I really don't.
firekitesMar 22, 2011 10:31 PM
Mar 23, 2011 8:32 AM

Dec 2010
I wonder what ever happened to Syaoran and the gang.. I hope they feature in Gate:7 sometime, I really do.

Zell182 said:
The ending was exactly what I expected: very ambiguous. However, I'm going to keep my rating for xxxHolic 8/10 since I try not to let bad endings affect my enjoyment of a manga/anime but it really fell off badly after Tsubasa ended and it became a monthly serialisation.

My thoughts exactly.
Mar 24, 2011 11:07 PM
Aug 2010
I have to say, I really enjoyed the first about 190 chapters of this manga, right up until the point where

After that, this series just kind of gets boring, and that was a pathetic excuse for an ending. Thanks CLAMP for a terrible ending to a good series.

At least Tsubasa ended well. Not that xxxHolic wasn't on the whole good, but Tsubasa was so much better.

Was going to give this series an 8/10, am tempted to give it a 7 in particular because of the ending.
Mar 25, 2011 12:54 AM

Apr 2009
X_x I didn't realize this was the last chapter until I saw the second OVA for Rou and saw people ranting about how the xxxHolic manga had ended. So, I went back and reread the last chapter and while I would personally like to see more of Watanuki's work as shop master, the ending isn't the worst thing I've ever seen. Yeah, the pacing was rushed, but I wasn't confused by Doumeki's great-grandson's appearance. and over 100 years have passed, actually. Ultimately the ending just makes me feel sad for Watanuki. He waited all that time for Yuuko, but it's never to be. I'm of course also sad that Shizuka Doumeki is gone, but at least CLAMP didn't dwell on the original cast's passings. Overall, I wouldn't decrease my rating for xxxHolic because of this ending. It's a somber, but fairly fitting open conclusion.
Mar 27, 2011 11:33 AM

May 2008
firekites said:
Rou (not the OAV, the manga) is, to me, a big epilogue. We all knew what was going to happen - Yuuko was finally able to pass away, and Watanuki took her place. That's it.

We were able to see how the rest of the characters grew older and still took care of him.

What did you want to read? Did you want Yuuko to come back to life and screw space/time again?

No, I didn't want to read Yuuko coming back to life. Never. That would've been plain stupid. I wanted to read Doumeki Shizuka using that damned egg, making Watanuki right and mortal again and the shop in ruins. In my book, that'd be a perfectly reasonable ending, setting things right. (Which was kinda the message of TRC and Holic: don't mess with the natural flow of time and setting of world cuz it could turn out disastrous.)
Mar 28, 2011 12:55 PM

Sep 2010
lol I stopped reading this after Tsubasa ended and I wanted to check up to see what the spoilers were going to be for the last chapter and wow its really that bad?? XXXHolic was good, but I liked Card Captor Sakura, X, and Tsubasa way more though and Clamp you need to finish X one day damn it.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Mar 29, 2011 3:41 PM
Feb 2011
Hm, well I thought the dream of Yuuko telling Watanuki he was free to leave the cage was quite lovely and poetic. I was satisfied with that as an ending. But I admit I was a little disappointed we didn't get to find out more about the egg. And there seemed to be a vague insinuation that 100 yrs had passed and that ... what? Was Doumeki really the same person as his great-grandfather? That was kinda confusing.
Apr 2, 2011 12:39 AM

Feb 2008
Fuck you, CLAMP.
Apr 2, 2011 11:26 PM

Oct 2007
First Read, Thought there was more,
check MAL. It really was the final chapater.
Read MAL Discussion. ReRead Final Chapter again.
ZOOOMMMGG,
Apr 10, 2011 10:55 AM
Jan 2009
That was just amazing ending :)

It's very open I can do whatever I want wit it in my imagination and what's more it's very well composed into rest of the story.

Dokumeki and his further family couldn't use egg because their was already using it whole the time. Why all of them stayed for so long with Watanuki? Because of the egg - that hope never to come. And after so long time Yuuko allowed Watanuki to go free, whatever he will do now is up to him and our (readers) imagination. I feel so free together with him :)

I was afraid that CLAMP may spoil story with some unreasonably happy ending, but at the end it went just perfect :)
Apr 14, 2011 9:24 PM
Mar 2010
>Reads the ending months ago
>Wonders why it hasn't been updated for a while
>Find out that that was the actual ending
.________.
Apr 25, 2011 12:03 AM

May 2008
So boring after Yuuko's 'dead' nothing good happen, even the ending was boring. 4/10 nothing special, I prefer the anime.
ClosedCXApr 25, 2011 12:10 AM
Apr 27, 2011 11:28 AM
Aug 2008
The ending was... meh. I knew that chapter 213 was the last one so I had big expectations for it when I started reading it. It was basically like "Oooh, how are they going to end it? How are they going to end it?"

And then I read it and I feel like going to CLAMP and just going batshit crazy. It was like reading Hikaru no Go's ending all over again... T-T
Screw you CLAMP! Why? Why? Why ruin a series that had so much potential? WHY?

Of course I calmed down later on and thought about it all and bleh, so anyway:

Pros: The whole mood did fit, as well as the whole time passing by thing. I did feel like Watanuki grew a lot during the whole series and even though I pound my head on my desk in frustration, I feel like the extent of his character growth really showed up in this chapter. (Freedom of the store, etc) Also, we got to see Yuuko again!

Neg: Even though the time skip was expected, it was rushed.... like seriously rushed. It didn't match the pace of the previous chapters at all. It's like, slow chapter with Watanuki granting wishes, slow chapter with Watanuki cooking, slow chapter with Watanuki calmly talking with Doumeki- THEN quick skip to about 100 years in the future with Doumeki's great-grandson. I mean, WTF.
Also, even though Watanuki grew a lot, I didn't feel that satisfied about him at the end. He's still waiting for Yuuko, still sitting there smoking pipes, and I really just want him to see him do something for himself. Not to mention: The egg. What the hell was the point of the egg?!
Finally the main problem: There just wasn't any sense of conclusion. Especially when you compare it with the beginning part of the series. Before Yuko died (and even after) Watanuki was always helping others, caring for others, learning from others. We saw him make friends and be happy. What do you get in the last chapter? Watanuki.... just doing... nothing. It's just painful. You don't even know about what happened to everyone else. Himawari, Doumeki, Kohane, Tiny Fox, Fortune Teller, Zashiki Warashi, ame warashi, cute oden fox, and all those characters we've grown to love.

I swear Clamp, I'm honestly thinking of not reading Gate 7. So much wasted potential...
May 5, 2011 2:02 AM

Dec 2009
game8910 said:
once again....CLAMP does not fail in getting the worst reactions out of me...

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ENDING!!!?

I mean...I liked the ending of Tsubasa after convincing myself that holic would somehow patch things overall but seriously...did they plan this chapter in 2 hours before the due date?

dropping the score from 9 to 8

yea i'm with u on this one i read TRC first than istarted reading holic which i hoped it will answer some questions BUT it didnt answer all the questions it just left more holes.
went from 9 to 8 for me as well
May 5, 2011 2:16 AM

Apr 2010
Should have ended like the anime rou
May 11, 2011 6:40 PM
May 2011
I just finished the manga myself; the ending was lackluster that's for sure.

May 24, 2011 8:14 PM

Aug 2010
Worst ending of all time. Ending was shit this show doesn't deserve a rating higher then 5 because everything after yuko died was bull. No clue what clamp was on when they were writing it, but since the first half was so good 7/10 for me.
May 29, 2011 11:49 PM
May 2011
I think they didn't want to do a sappy happy ending and keep it open ended for future use perhaps. Having Watanuki appear in other series and such.

But imo they totally hinted at the eventual happy ending. That in it of itself is what keeps my nerd rage minimal.
May 30, 2011 12:24 PM

May 2009
o.O
That ending. *sigh* 19 volumes, but they couldn't bother taking one extra chapter to explain things properly? No, we get several panels. Maybe CLAMP was aiming for impact? It felt more like hit-and-run, though. :/
My heart did hurt for Watanuki, though. And the panels in those two final chapters were especially stunning.

I might have to re-read to figure out at what point Doumeki stopped being the original Doumeki and started being great-grandson Doumeki.
May 31, 2011 2:50 AM
Jun 2010
The switch happened between dream 1 and dream 2 ( chapter before this one and this one ) He said he would have to strain his powers , meaning it would take time to prepare. It is also the only spot where the switch could have happened.

Anyways this ending dropped the manga's score from a 9 to a 6
Jun 16, 2011 3:38 AM

Mar 2009
I was actually expecting an okay ending to this series, but I guess I was really wrong. I just became confused and disappointed.

CLAMP, I-

I can't even-

'_______'
Jul 5, 2011 7:30 PM

Jun 2011
idiotsite said:
firekites said:

No, I didn't want to read Yuuko coming back to life. Never. That would've been plain stupid. I wanted to read Doumeki Shizuka using that damned egg, making Watanuki right and mortal again and the shop in ruins. In my book, that'd be a perfectly reasonable ending, setting things right. (Which was kinda the message of TRC and Holic: don't mess with the natural flow of time and setting of world cuz it could turn out disastrous.)

Maybe I'm trying really, REALLY hard to find a way to accept this as a good ending to one of my all-time favorite manga/anime series every, but I guess Ro was really just a huge epilogue to xxxHolic.

I think maybe CLAMP wanted this to be a tragedy or something. Though I have to agree with everyone's view that this was too darn rushed for such a long series, I think it sort of worked. What I got from it was mostly the dream sequence in the last chapter. As someone noted, Watanuki used Clow's magic circle. Not even that was able to keep Yuuko (the butterfly) from being encaged. I guess that what Yuuko was trying to teach Watanuki is that she herself was able to let go of her most precious person, Clow, and live freely after so long. She had waited all this time, perhaps even more so than Watanuki, to grant Clow's wish. She knew her end would come after that, but just like Watanuki, she was willing to wait.

In a way, I guess she kind of got to see Clow again in his descendants (namely Syaron and of course, Watanuki though he's not a literal descendant). She showed him that dream to let him know it was okay to forget her. That, inevitably, it had to happen but, inevitably, they would meet again. Yuuko kind of died a tragic death, as Watanuki is leading himself into. Already all the people he knew had to die, being regular humans, but in the least they were willing to wait with him.

Like I said, maybe I'm just trying too hard to give sense to this ending, so most of what I just said may seem like to total bogus to most. I still can't in no way say I liked the fact that Doumeki's ancestors kept visiting Watanuki and in some way still had the same egg, or the fact that Watanuki never noticed the first Doumeki's death, but I guess, in a way, Doumeki tried to grant Watanuki a wish in return: to allow him to remain in eternal bliss where he had met Yuuko.

There are still a lot of lose ends (more of which I noticed as I wrote this). But I guess even another way to think of the ending is that Watanuki became like the customer that wanted to date Doumeki. Her "yearning" separated her true self from her body and he ultimately became lost.

Ugh CLAMP, you've got me trying to defend you again. Never do this again please. And if you do, I might even prefer you putting it on hiatus like X/1999 and come back to it years later.
Jul 16, 2011 1:46 PM
Apr 2010
Nicklas92Jul 16, 2011 1:50 PM

Aug 10, 2011 1:17 AM

May 2011
dreamingsamurai said:
So this is 100 years into the future?

So where are all the flying cars, man??? :D

LOL
Aug 21, 2011 9:24 PM

Feb 2009
Well, I'm kinda disappointed too. I don't love with all my heart this manga, but it should have a better end. I don't know what I would change (there are something that is better not explain too), but it's missing something. When I ended it, I was like "is totally missing some pages here, no?( ̄ー ̄)". But, well, it finally ended and there was not much to do after what happened with Yuuko, so I'm glad CLAMP put a end on the manga.
Nov 16, 2011 9:52 AM
May 2011
Eurius said:
idiotsite said:
firekites said:

Maybe I'm trying really, REALLY hard to find a way to accept this as a good ending to one of my all-time favorite manga/anime series every, but I guess Ro was really just a huge epilogue to xxxHolic.

I think maybe CLAMP wanted this to be a tragedy or something. Though I have to agree with everyone's view that this was too darn rushed for such a long series, I think it sort of worked. What I got from it was mostly the dream sequence in the last chapter. As someone noted, Watanuki used Clow's magic circle. Not even that was able to keep Yuuko (the butterfly) from being encaged. I guess that what Yuuko was trying to teach Watanuki is that she herself was able to let go of her most precious person, Clow, and live freely after so long. She had waited all this time, perhaps even more so than Watanuki, to grant Clow's wish. She knew her end would come after that, but just like Watanuki, she was willing to wait.

In a way, I guess she kind of got to see Clow again in his descendants (namely Syaron and of course, Watanuki though he's not a literal descendant). She showed him that dream to let him know it was okay to forget her. That, inevitably, it had to happen but, inevitably, they would meet again. Yuuko kind of died a tragic death, as Watanuki is leading himself into. Already all the people he knew had to die, being regular humans, but in the least they were willing to wait with him.

Like I said, maybe I'm just trying too hard to give sense to this ending, so most of what I just said may seem like to total bogus to most. I still can't in no way say I liked the fact that Doumeki's ancestors kept visiting Watanuki and in some way still had the same egg, or the fact that Watanuki never noticed the first Doumeki's death, but I guess, in a way, Doumeki tried to grant Watanuki a wish in return: to allow him to remain in eternal bliss where he had met Yuuko.

There are still a lot of lose ends (more of which I noticed as I wrote this). But I guess even another way to think of the ending is that Watanuki became like the customer that wanted to date Doumeki. Her "yearning" separated her true self from her body and he ultimately became lost.

Ugh CLAMP, you've got me trying to defend you again. Never do this again please. And if you do, I might even prefer you putting it on hiatus like X/1999 and come back to it years later.

Really interesting read; glad you posted it.

Interesting idea of sort of living for someone, but needing to forget them so that you are able to reunite with them at a later point. That's dedication I'd say.
Jan 8, 2012 8:50 PM

Jul 2011
That ending was just rude.

I was expecting Watanuki to pay the price to see Yuko, and then she would start to visit him in dreams like Haruka, and they could converse and stuff.

Anyway, one chapter was not enough to end something like xxxHOLiC. So rude.
Mar 29, 2012 11:02 PM

Mar 2009
What…the….hell….? What did I just read? A crappy ending that ruined a great experience, that’s what. Instantly dropped from a 9 to 7, might even drop it lower. I can’t stand it when I invest my time in a series, only to be fed a piece of crap for an ending.

Sigh. I feel like I kind of “get” it when people say the ending is fitting, but it’s so unsatisfying for the readers. I guess the creators don’t need to care about what fans think, they have the right to take the story in whatever direction they want to, it’s their creation. But at the same time, I wonder how it feels to just destroy your fans’ hopes and dreams like that. They knew fans were attached to these characters and just gave them terrible endings with hardly any conclusions/closure. Poor Watanuki, and wtf at that not being the same Doumeki…

I used to think Hikaru no Go had the worst manga ending I’d ever read in my life and nothing could compare, but I was wrong. This is worse! At least for HikaGo, the overall experience made me keep my ranking at 10, but for this, once Watanuki took over the shop the series became incredibly boring. And with that ending....I've seriously decided to not pick up any other CLAMP series until they are finished so I can read opinions about their endings!!!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How many chapters does this have?

Zaldun - Aug 22, 2018

7 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Apr 7, 10:38 PM

» How to continue xxxholic?

CrystalKing - Aug 9, 2023

2 by n7pidgey »»
Aug 10, 2023 8:07 AM

» Manga Price Gouging

Kairoku - Jul 27, 2013

2 by AstarionAncunin »»
Oct 13, 2022 7:09 AM

» omnibus release quality

elgatosaika - Dec 1, 2021

2 by elgatosaika »»
Jan 3, 2022 7:54 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Chapter 48 Discussion

Naivette - Jul 3, 2012

1 by ArtemisMeiko »»
Mar 7, 2021 4:05 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.