Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 16, 2012 4:43 AM
Jun 2011
Kotori said:
Basically, you update any details like episode score etc and they are queued to be synced with MAL next time you go online.

Great, exactly what I needed, since I usually watch offline ad it's a pain to update everything manually.
Oct 16, 2012 5:50 AM
Aug 2009
Kotori said:
forgot to add:

- New plugin for custom lists, like what videogames you've played, tv series/movies. Not related to MAL but probably useful to most users :)

Oh snap, that's gonna take me some time adding all those i have played :O and movies i have seen.

Insane idea, could indeed be awesome, however is it a realistic idea? I mean will you have to manually add every single game? Will you have a community doing that? Will you have only a select few games you can select as played?

Long story short have you any idea how you are going to do this?
Don't get me wrong, the idea is great, it just sounds like a rather large addition to have to add. There is also the question on how many would actually use it, is it worth your time building it?

Either way good luck, without ambition no awesome result ;)
Oct 16, 2012 6:12 AM

Jul 2007
Yes I've been working on that for quite a while, you will add them from new malupdater website directly into your account (malu account) from a list of existing games etc. Think of it as sort of a unified site/tracker for most of your media stuff.
Oct 16, 2012 6:31 AM
Aug 2009
I see, that will work i suppose. Speaking about the website, it has 404 page not found errors as you go to stats and support, in the rare case no one has noticed that yet.

Well if its web regulated, as i understand from your explanation, i'd imagine you'd have a database or xml file with all the games (lets stick to games for an example).

Would this be privately regulated by you, or someone working with you, or will the community that uses MAL Updater be able to add and edit games?

I mean, out of experience, building something like that will be allot of work already, regardless whether you are good at web development or not, having to add all sorts of games as well will take forever. Not only that but i am quite sure there are WAY more games out there that you have never heard off then you know.

Only downside of the last system, if you allow everyone (read as registered members) to add and update game information some one could potentially abuse this by adding false info, or complete rubbish. Tho i doubt this would be a big problem, as other could correct this again (like wikipedia).

Just thinking out loud here :)
Oct 16, 2012 7:09 AM

Jul 2007
It's indeed a lot of work. Users will be able to add media and it will be put on pending review by admins/moderators until the data can be verified. As the users grow (malu has ~20k active, I expect a considerable part of it would help), data should be rapidly added as well.
Oct 16, 2012 11:58 AM
Aug 2009
I see, that answers my questions.
Oct 27, 2012 2:50 PM

Jan 2011
I don't like to pick up with developers but it's always fun to ask.

Any ETA estimated?
Nov 2, 2012 6:40 PM

May 2008
I don't know if this was discussed in earlier versions, but will there be some kind of unicode support in future? I don't know if it's really a problem with unicode support, but if a torrent contains special letters my MALU refuses to dowload them. Also I had to change my windows language to japanese for a VN and now my MALU refuses to work with folders that contain special letters from my native language (namely äöüß (German)).
I just can rename the folders and download the missing torrents by myself, but if possible it'll be great if MALU could handle this in upcomming versions.
Nov 2, 2012 7:09 PM

Jul 2007
NicoH said:
but if a torrent contains special letters my MALU refuses to dowload them

need a sample/example
Nov 3, 2012 6:08 AM

May 2008
Kotori said:
NicoH said:
but if a torrent contains special letters my MALU refuses to dowload them

need a sample/example

Examples:
「K」
Arcana✴Famiglia
Yuru Yuri♪♪
Mar 31, 2013 5:22 AM

Apr 2011
No news on MALu 3.0 release ?
Mar 31, 2013 6:13 AM
Apr 1, 2013 4:02 AM
Aug 2009
Nice work Kotori!
Though, in the first post you talked about a featue that "airing times" would be available from the anime main tab, how? :o
Apr 2, 2013 12:16 AM
Apr 2, 2013 4:16 AM
Aug 2009
"== 31 Mar 2013
Initial 3.0 release"
Lol, I really had some hopes here :)
But nevermind.
Apr 2, 2013 5:00 AM
Apr 2013
Kotori said:
Join here for 3.x discussion, I'll post some info there soon

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/mal-updater3

Can you provide a download link for the new release?

Google Groups shows me an empty forum due some javascript errors.
Apr 2, 2013 5:03 AM

Jul 2011
shakor said:

Can you provide a download link for the new release?

3.0 isn't out yet so there isn't a link.
shakor said:

Google Groups shows me an empty forum due some javascript errors.

The forum is empty for me too. Don't think Kotori has posted anything yet.
Apr 2, 2013 6:16 AM

Jul 2012
Please make the file dialog and text separately. To make it easy to translate into other languages.
Apr 2, 2013 8:06 AM

Jul 2007
Kiorika said:
Please make the file dialog and text separately. To make it easy to translate into other languages.

I'm against software localisation, so it will remain in English-only.
May 24, 2013 5:52 AM

Dec 2008
News for 3.0 ? :)
Nov 19, 2013 6:10 AM

May 2013
yo my MALU v2.95 has started to show error 403 (Error During Service Check)
So i guess There may be some problem with the site.
well........
great app
would be really happy if the v3.0 comes out soon!
though !!
THNX !!
Nov 20, 2013 5:56 PM

May 2009
eileen12 said:
yo my MALU v2.95 has started to show error 403 (Error During Service Check)
So i guess There may be some problem with the site.
well........
great app
would be really happy if the v3.0 comes out soon!
though !!
THNX !!

Just uninstall and re-download from the website
Jan 1, 2014 7:10 PM
Livin in the 90s

Jan 2011
Can't wait for offline mode,
the network downtimes, when they happen, are pretty annoying.
Come soon 3.0... come soon...

Jan 1, 2014 7:41 PM

Jul 2007
Yup, mal has been really bad today, with the api call to retrieve anime list timing out often. I'm very actively working on malu3 atm so expect something soon.
KotoriJan 2, 2014 3:49 AM
Jan 2, 2014 1:32 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Looking forwards
Jan 3, 2014 4:16 AM

Jul 2012
Thanks a lot for all the time you invest into that program for us! Looking forward to the 3.0 release!
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jan 21, 2014 9:46 AM

Jun 2012
So, how soon is "soon", exactly? In your original post, you say that 3.0 is coming "soon", however that post was written three years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rush you or anything, but how close are you to finishing 3.0? I don't need any dates, just a rough estimate of how much of the work you've gotten finished so far would be fantastic. (e.g. "70%")

Because at this point, "soon" has lost all meaning.

_
LarasoJan 21, 2014 10:04 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jan 21, 2014 11:15 AM

Jul 2007
Erm, soon!

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=soon%20%28tm%29

Well hmm, over these years I've changed code back and forth many times, ditching some things, introducing new features, redoing large parts of one specific part of the app etc, and lately trying to code it as much platform-independent as I can, so when I develop the Android version I will be able to re-use most of the code.

My build currently worked a few days ago, loading the list, airing times, and anime database. As of now I can't even compile it as it's undergoing another batch of large changes again. I thought I could have an early version for testing this month but it won't be possible. Some estimates if you want to see numbers:

- Dettach UI from all other code: 90%
- New plugins engine: 95%
- Animelist: 95%
- Airing schedules: 99%
- "season browser", now "anime database": 95% (this is tied to other areas so they all depend on each other)
- Manga list: 0%, but it will be almost identical to Anime except for the database, so this will be very fast. For obvious reasons I didn't start this yet, as I must have a finished "spec"/version of the Animelist code to base the Manga on
- Themes engine: 0% (3.0 will launch without user themes)
- Settings stuff: 50%
- Connections stuff: 75%
- Offline mode: 50%
- Queue manager for offline mode: 0%
- Torrents stuff: 0%
- Improved XML parser: 100%
- List encryption: 100%
- New version check system: 95%
- Support for other sites: 0% (depends a lot on other things being finished, after which it will be fast. This won't be in 3.0)
- Rewrite of file/folder scan and monitoring: 50%
- Rewrite of recognition stuff: 50%
- Redo notifications system: 75% (will re-use stuff I did for another app)
- New hotkeys system: 100% (made this for another app recently and then converted it to be re-usable for any app)
- Sharing stuff: 75% (adding skype, facebook, re-doing IRC)
- Core stuff moved to objects, cleaned up init stuff split from other areas: 95%
- Screenshotter: 0% (based on code from my other app MyImgur though, so most of the work is done, I recently had to re-code my imgur library to work with their new V3 api and OAuth2, so I needed this before using it for MALU). This will be a very cool feature, you'll see.
- G15 applet: 50% (mostly the same I'm using for MyImgur and other apps, so no major stuff to do)
- Rewrite players stuff: 50%
- Anime/Manga search/dynamic updates to list without reloading: 75% (depends on database stuff being finished first)
- New stuff for voting a show's episodes in a batch and read current votes etc: 75%
- Major additions and changes to animelist display: 95% (more tabs with additional details, proper sorting, press key to jump to a title is back, you can enable/disable most of the columns and other new features)
- List filters: 95%
- Startup speed improvements: 95% (it's much faster than 2.x and in general feels smoother/very dynamic when updating anything)
- Image resizing rewrite stuff: 100% (real time resizing of pics on info window as you resize the window, old filters for bicubic interpolation was very slow). Anime pics are now only stored once while trying to find a larger version upon retrieval. No more pre-cached thumbs etc for different areas.
- Season browser based on database will be the main feature, people will love this. ~99% complete
- Bookmarks: 99%
- Logs and stats: 25%
- Additional data retrieval and editing not offered by the MAL Api: 99%
- MAL social stuff: 0% (not fully thought out yet, not necessary for now)

Some things to point out:
- Anime stats are gone (currently watching users/total plays stats). I can't handle this load on my server anymore (around 15 million episodes played with malu since i added this)
- Service check: no longer need connectivity to my site. If my server is down it will just fail to check for updated files.
- System Info and IRC-Audio plugins removed.
- Sounds removed
- Android version will interact with Desktop (playnext and other stuff)
- Database will self-grow upon acquiring data by several ways until new major update comes.
- Major UI clean-up

I'd say overall 75% of major stuff is finished, and you can expect a beta within the next few months, with maybe something to test in late Feb or March.

http://i.imgur.com/Sq0sXxe.jpg (bbcode broken again?)
Jan 21, 2014 12:25 PM

Jun 2012
Wow, thanks for that comprehensive list! It really does help put "soon" into perspective.

Kotori said:
- G15 applet: 50% (mostly the same I'm using for MyImgur and other apps, so no major stuff to do)

By G15 applet, are you referring to the Logitech G-Series keyboards? Because if so, that's incredibly awesome, as I happen to own one.

(Also, BBCode isn't broken, but [img] tags have been disabled due to abuse. It's been that way for a few months now, actually)
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Jan 21, 2014 12:59 PM

Jul 2007
Yup, for G15/510, possibly works for others too. I use this for a couple other apps already, so with malu I will use this for PlayNext and other stuff.
Jan 25, 2014 9:28 PM
Mar 2011
Kotori said:
Yup, for G15/510, possibly works for others too. I use this for a couple other apps already, so with malu I will use this for PlayNext and other stuff.

If you are would like some help coding it I would be more than happy to help XD I can program multi platform and platform independent in multiple languages
Jan 28, 2014 7:47 AM

Jul 2009
Kotori, I was thinking about this, but if we are able to make themes with the new MALU 3 will it give the theme makers more freedom in order to make more unique themes? My biggest hold back, which I encountered while making themes, was that I am unable to add custom sounds to each theme.

Btw, don't know if this was mentioned somewhere around the lines, but how about merging the torrent plugin in the program's main interface instead of having it as separate window? It can be added as a tab, just like the airing and related tabs, but still having the option to make it as a window of its own.
Jan 28, 2014 9:28 AM

Jul 2007
You can add sounds to themes in 2.x

Torrents is already mixed with main window/list for v3.

As for themes in v3, it won't be skinnable at first.
Jan 28, 2014 2:28 PM

Jul 2009
Hm, strange, the option for the sounds is indeed there, but I can't click the select file buttons for the sounds at all and I don't recall ever being able to (which may explain why I got the impression sounds can't be added to themes). Maybe its some kind of bug.
Jan 28, 2014 5:54 PM

Jul 2007
Oh, that would be a bug indeed; I don't think anyone ever cared for theme sounds so I never noticed this. I will check and fix it.
Feb 2, 2014 10:57 AM

Nov 2012
Try to update the anime recognition aspect of it to also recognize the synonyms/Alternative Titles. because most fansub groups use different names other than the official MAL name, especially when the anime has a long title .
Mar 31, 2014 8:54 AM

Sep 2011
Is Mal Updater 3.0 dead or is it still happening? I know these things take time, so I"m just curious.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2014 11:11 AM
Apr 2, 2014 2:19 PM
Feb 2008
Kotori said:
Tomorrow

April's fool? Not that I want to push you or anything, I know you have a real life, but would be good to have an update.
Apr 4, 2014 9:29 AM

Aug 2009
Tell me, how long to wait for the release of version 3.0?
Apr 4, 2014 12:28 PM

Sep 2011
Lirina said:
Kotori said:
Tomorrow

April's fool? Not that I want to push you or anything, I know you have a real life, but would be good to have an update.

Yeah, as soon as he posted "Tommorow" I was kinda disappointed, because I was kinda hoping for a serious answer. I'm not gonna lie I would even pay for Version 3.0 if you decided to charger for it which I think you should so that the program can improve more which I really would like to see Malupdater do.

ColdXClueApr 4, 2014 1:27 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2014 1:17 PM

Jul 2007
ColdXClue said:
Lirina said:
Kotori said:
Tomorrow

Yeah, as soon as he posted "Tommorow" I was kinda disappointed, because I was kinda hoping for a serious answer. I'm not gonna lie I would even pay for Version 3.0 if you decided to charger for it which I think you should so that the program can improve more which I really would like to see Malupdater do.

I don't think anyone would pay for a Windows version, but when I have the Android port ready there will be a "Pro" version with unlocked features for 2-3 euro, hoping I can earn a bit from that.
Apr 4, 2014 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
Kotori said:
ColdXClue said:
Lirina said:
Kotori said:
Tomorrow

I don't think anyone would pay for a Windows version, but when I have the Android port ready there will be a "Pro" version with unlocked features for 2-3 euro, hoping I can earn a bit from that.

I will definitely buy the Pro android version, and if you do decide to make a Pro Windows version with a couple of extra bells and whistles in you free time let me know, because I will definitely buy that too.

To Everyone Waiting For A Update:

After reading through the previous post it seems asking him when it will be done has probably gotten to be annoying. I would suggest we all just stop asking a question that obviously doesn't have a answer including me, and just hope we can get a beta by the end of the year.
ColdXClueApr 5, 2014 6:34 PM
Apr 8, 2014 10:30 PM
Mar 2011
I would be more than happy and able to help with any coding or updates you may need and I was working on a program that gets airing times as well as alerts you when a sub group has finished subbing the new episodes with text and email capability, I would be more than happy to share that code to help you with the updates for airing time

Kotori said:
Hey, new version is coming out soon, im working a lot more on it lately and I'll have an alpha version to test soon. I'll brief you a bit on what's changed etc, post your comments about it here maybe.

- New UI. Well, sort of. Things moved around, some removed, some added, different buttons and functionality. Trying to make it advanced but simple to use, with the things you use the most at very easy ready, and the rest sorta hidden but easy accessible if you need them. Some more features in the list itself as well. Less popup windows. No Aero glass thingie or wasted space around. Themes wont work cause, it's just too much work to do something at the moment. I can't define some things to be themeable just to later remove them or add new ones, limiting UI changes to some predefined options because of themes like it is at the moment. So my idea for a new theme engine is a fully customizable one in the future. I am recoding the entire UI towards that, in a way like.. hm, you can sort of program the skin, decide whats on the screen and assign this or that to call x method and such, sort of like winamp and foobar do I think. Something like that will work well cause then I wont be limited in what changes I do in the future to the main UI.

- Online/offline modes. well well, offline mode hmm.. that's a bit hard to decide how it will really work and I'm doing lots of changes everyday. MALU atm uses both the MAL API, and also some of the old ways how it worked before the API. That is, it logs in as if it was a browser, it picks a cookie, and then loads pages etc just as if it was a browser doing so. That way I have access to quite a few things far beyond what the limited API provides. Things like, being able to send a post about a certain series/episode straight from mal updater, checking if threads about a certain episode already exist and a link to it, some extra data about a series like last forum threads, members, last updates, recommendations, links, check for new messages, and other features I'd like to add. But then I'm thinking .. hmm, what is it most people actually use out of those things available only through the old ways? what others would they like? and out of those who use them, are they actually a meaningful number to keep it? If I remove those features, then I can make malu work straight with just the API. The problem with browser emulation login etc, it.. it's slow as fuck. Logging in, getting a cookie, checking it's still valid, make up for changes in login forms (some ppl had weird problems to login because of some ISPs doing some weird redirection post-login and other weird issues). Retrieving data from a series page is also really slow. That delay when you start a series in the player, and you see the window popup and "Loading..", 99.9% of that time is just retrieving all the html data, it's fucking slow really. The posterior parsing is lightning fast, but retrieving the data that is slow, and it's annoying.
But it was the only way before, and still nowadays it provides with some things the API never covered. So, I don't know. I have no hopes in the API being extended or anything related to it fixed anymore from MAL side, so dunno what to do about it. The other "online" part is the pre-login process, where malu checks with -my- server if you are running the latest version of the client and if there any updates, also maintains an online-users number, and checks how many people are watching the same anime at the same time. That sounds mostly useless, but I have some ideas to add to malu in the near future that would make use of that, to have some kind of side community based solely on MALU and some features available through being online interacting with other users etc. So that might remain, or be gone for now, I'm not sure.

The other part of the changes that are for sure into 3.x, is offline updates. Basically, you update any details like episode score etc and they are queued to be synced with MAL next time you go online. Nothing major there, other clients already do this, so malu will as well.

- Sysinfo and music-playing-now plugins are gone. Useless stuff really, so begone ^^

- Importing/exporting settings. Self-explaining.

- Easy take-screenshot-of-video-player-and-upload-with-a-single-click, kind of. Nothing major there, but I think will be nice to have. I will reuse already working and pretty efficient code from my screenshotter app for it (http://eden.fm/tinypic-uploader/). I was a bit stuck with this in the past, because tinypic kept changing their code and they provided no open api to developers, and to make it worse they finally added a captcha for uploads. Fuck them. Imageshack... well.. slow.. ultra slow. They now have an API, it's so-so. I recently added support for imgur, and it's lightning fast, I really like it, so I will go with that for the malu plugin.

- Windows, more windows, more extra windows.. most gone. batch tags editor and season browser are now embedded into the main window.

- Batch tool to assign folders to the series, it's a big mess, I doubt many are using it right now. I'm making a big change into that, something actually useful and very easy and straight-forward to use and understand, it should be intuituve and not have users wonder "how the fuck I use this?"

- Scanning for new episodes on the hard disk. Right now you can only do this manually, and 2 ways. one way is faster than the other, and more accurate, but it can easily miss some valid matches. The other is a bit slower (still quite fast though imo), and finds more stuff, but also false matches. Also it doesnt detect if you have episodes 2,3,4,5 or x series, only the last one, so it be misleading in that you have more episodes than you actually do. I want to change that, mostly through an improved recognition engine. Also, the scanning for files and folders will be done in the background automatically. It will do an initial scan, and then keep monitoring from then on, all on its own and you wont have to click anything or wait for the scan to finish etc, will be quite on detect-as-you-go; but for that we need more accurate recognition first, so that you dont have to choose for a method or another.

- Airing shows. I added some options to that, so you can filter out those series not in your list. Also it's kinda integrated in the main anime list, so you won't have to switch tabs to check how long it is until the next episode of your fav. shows. I need a little help there though. The airing data is all edited manually through an admin control panel in my website. Basically, me and some others who helped before log in as admin and review a list of airing shows, and theres options to edit/add/delete and such. I'd need some more dedicated people to keep that list updated. Ideally this would be provided by MAL itself, but I don't see that happening.

Okay, I think that mostly covers it. There's of course a lot more behind but no need to explain a lot more.

So anyway, leave your comments and such, I read everything in these forums etc even if I dont seem active the last few months or dont always reply.

ps: oh yeah, I see the preview of the topic and thought to myself as well, "omg fucking boring long wall spam of text with barely any paragraphs , I wouldnt even read it myself", but anyway, there it is if you go through it ^^

ps2: ohh one more remark: no osx/linux ports in the near future, seriously, no. I dont have a mac. I know shit about linux programming. And I wont waste my time on something a couple people would use. it's not that I hate those platforms ^^
Jul 27, 2014 10:49 AM

Jan 2014
don't know if anyone suggest it but more streaming websites will be good like(Kissanime, Anime Fave, Anitube..)
Jul 27, 2014 11:05 AM

May 2014
MadLane said:
don't know if anyone suggest it but more streaming websites will be good like(Kissanime, Anime Fave, Anitube..)

Yeah It better have Kissanime or i will cry
Jul 29, 2014 12:52 AM

Mar 2010
Seems like Kotori is using Valve Time :)

Valve Time: "Soon" (1998), way before 2005
Actual Time: October 10, 2007

So 9 years aprox, we'll just have to wait for 2020 at the latest~
Jul 29, 2014 6:27 PM
Oct 2009
paralyz3 said:
Seems like Kotori is using Valve Time :)

Valve Time: "Soon" (1998), way before 2005
Actual Time: October 10, 2007

So 9 years aprox, we'll just have to wait for 2020 at the latest earliest~

Fixed that for you, in all seriousness though, just give it time. We all have lives, it'll be done when it's done. The application is absolutely fine the way it as at the moment anywho :D
Oct 27, 2014 8:50 PM

Jul 2007
A final version will be out before the end of 2014, I have already a very functional alpha build which I'll be making public soon for testing.

"Soon" as in actual soon, hopefully in November.
Oct 28, 2014 12:16 AM

Aug 2009
Yippee!!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» How to comment on my updates?

ADumbNut - Apr 13

0 by ADumbNut »»
Apr 13, 2:05 PM

» How to comment on my updates?

ADumbNut - Apr 13

0 by ADumbNut »»
Apr 13, 1:58 PM

Sticky: » [Bug reports / Help] ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kotori - Feb 19, 2008

5259 by Bahamut_Zero »»
Sep 27, 2022 5:06 PM

» How Does This Thing Work And How Do I Set It Up

ahmed0112 - Jun 14, 2020

2 by Lion3MAL »»
Mar 14, 2022 6:52 PM

» Where is the "theme" folder located?

Legends_of_anime - Jan 13, 2021

1 by TimidSquid »»
Feb 3, 2021 9:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.