Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 14, 2013 3:34 PM
Jul 2012
Coming back to finish the show after some hiatus time from watching any anime was clearly a mistake. I can't understand a thing.
Jan 2, 2014 5:07 PM

Aug 2013
unclesnapple said:
I'm still very confused by the blonde guy's motives. He was trying to explain the goodness of destruction and why all those people had to die and why they're a "lie" and it confused me to all Hell.

Yeah, really, what's up with him?
Feb 1, 2014 3:44 PM
Jul 2012
Nice episode!

So, is this guy(yellow hair) was killed by Ergo Proxy as Vincent? Don't get what's going on between those two. Vince should've just followed Pino and not fucked by that dude, and now he's the proxy. Was correct on that one. Now Pino is in trouble since she don't know that Vince was a proxy. Bad for her to trust him.

5/5
Apr 25, 2014 11:09 AM

Aug 2013
And now I know why this is called Ergo Proxy.

At this point, trying to understand what proxies are or why they exist is useless. My brain's just going to overheat if I think about it XD Well one thing I do get is that it was Vincent who touched Re-L on the lips and Senekisu was the other proxy who attacked him.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 20, 2014 2:01 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode,so he is the agent of death.

Aug 16, 2014 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
5/5,
This shows getting so much better. Finally got some questions answered.
So Vincent is a proxy wow. I wonder whats up with Pino, and also what happened to Re-l. Can't wait to see the next ep.
Aug 24, 2014 2:51 PM
Nov 2013
So, Monad was Vincent's "proxy soulmate"? Or sth.
And back then what he did to his memories practically left her dead or unconscious, or at any case at the state we saw her in episode 7. That's probably why she was there even before Deadalus was assigned his post - the whole story dates baaack in time.

And another mystery... is Monad related to Re-I in some way? (After all it was Re-I's vision that motivated Vincent to kill the other proxy.)

Can't wait to see how this evolves. Sooooo interesting!
Nov 18, 2014 1:59 PM

Aug 2013
More monsters, ehh I expected good sci fi, not fighting super-monsters.
I will continue watching, but I think, it is not story for me.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 15, 2015 2:14 AM

Aug 2009
Great episode. Some questions definitely answered.
So these proxies are title the "proxy of -something"
Does being the proxy of death mean that he will bring death to only proxies, or everyone around him. It seems like he is super powerful and the only proxy who tends to win each fight and has the ability to kill them. Hmm....

So I think they all have a different objective and they were suppose to fulfill their proxy roles within each city/dome, but Mr. Ergo proxy here forgot his mission. Interesting. Looking forward to this.
Also another speculation about the soulmate proxies, could Vincent also have one? Could it be our main female lead? So MANY questions ugh
lovexLuffyJan 6, 2018 5:28 AM

Apr 6, 2015 4:57 PM

Oct 2013
Ok, so I already knew that Vincent is a Proxy for some time but I was thinking that he is Ergo Proxy...Although I always called him "the big Proxy that kills all the other ones" :) But they could finally explain that are Proxys....And also, I wanna see Re-I...
Aug 22, 2015 8:37 PM

Jun 2015
If only I wasn't already spoiled that Vincent was a proxy, I would have enjoyed this more. I was also spoiled that Kazkis was a proxy just by looking at Troy Baker's MAL page. Great episode though.

Still confused on what "Ergo Proxy" is.

Pino <3
Nov 24, 2015 7:14 PM

Nov 2012
Holy shit, Vincent is the Ergo Proxy? So is he like the strongest proxy due to the title of proxy of death?
Dec 26, 2015 3:35 PM

Aug 2014
So Vincent is a Proxy , this was cool .
I like how dark the anime is , but i didn't like that monsters/proxy/awakening thing i feel like it would have been a better series without those monsters .

Anyway , Good episode .
Feb 1, 2016 8:47 AM
Nov 2014
I feel so dumb right now because I didn't realise that Vincent was the Proxy in Re-ls room, so obvious afterwards with that necklace and especially the connection between the name of the show and him. I really like the development of the story for now.
Feb 1, 2016 8:48 AM
Nov 2014
Klassical said:
So Vincent is a Proxy , this was cool .
I like how dark the anime is , but i didn't like that monsters/proxy/awakening thing i feel like it would have been a better series without those monsters .

Anyway , Good episode .

I love the atmosphere, too. But what should be the plot without the proxies?
Feb 3, 2016 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
Ergo Proxy !! Shit that was awesome action.
But wait if he supposedly erased his own memories..
Doesn't that mean he's just going in circle to find out what he is ?
Now I want to know his and Monad's history behind all this fuss.
Monad seems to have just suffered from all this ordeal.
Feb 25, 2016 4:31 AM

May 2010
unclesnapple said:

I'm still very confused by the blonde guy's motives. He was trying to explain the goodness of destruction and why all those people had to die and why they're a "lie" and it confused me to all Hell.

I'm still confused. I don't even know, he sounded contradictory to me esp. whenever he mentioned his knights. I don't even care anymore.
Mar 4, 2016 4:40 PM

Jun 2014
UserDeleted said:
Also, why are there talking naked statues in this anime show?

I read somewhere that Donov uses the statues to communicate.
Sep 13, 2016 4:04 AM

Mar 2010
Finally some parts start to make sense.

Proxies come in pairs so pretty sure vincent and lil are related. Maybe lil is proxy of life so shes announced death but might not be truly death!

Also pino knew, smart girl but why wouldnt she tell vincent when he was wondering who he was etc
Oct 10, 2016 12:48 AM

Jan 2010
Tilted angle shots were really abused in this episode. I know it's supposed to portray Vincent's disoriented sense of perception, but goodness gracious.

And by the way, proxy of brilliance? Ergo Proxy - the proxy of death? So they weren't being arbitrary with the word proxy. Though, if this show goes the route of the proxies being representative of the human psyche, I fear this show will become, by all intents of the phrase, a battle of egos. In other words, being concerned with action and style over any actual discussion about the themes suggested throughout the show.
Nov 17, 2016 4:16 AM

Oct 2012
Proxy of death eh?
Looks like he is a god of death (shinigami) afterall xD
I mean he said he isn't before
Rayl1ghtNov 17, 2016 4:58 AM
"Signature removed"
Dec 10, 2016 5:05 PM
Aug 2016
I had an idea he was a proxy sincde he always aproach or apeared when it was him or someone he cared about

Since that 1st episode I kept that in mind. And after that thing with him trasformed in proxy, an attempt to show his love to Re-l and saving her two time, kept me in alert.
So this episode just confirmed me some of those ideas. But being actually the ergo proxy was a blow mind ahahaha
Dec 11, 2016 10:19 AM

Jan 2013
So Vincent is the Proxy of Death ... Ergo Proxy.
I dont think there's any reason for me to dig deeper as to how and why, I'll just keep tagging along Vincent and see how the story unfolds.

I'm kinda missing Re-L (ReaL) ...
May 13, 2017 7:31 AM

Jun 2013
It's almost funny, the way the blonde guy talks. So cryptic. The only thing I understand is that he was feeling shitty about being a proxy, and Senex was his only source of happiness (if I can even call it that). Oh, and that he made some vague prediction, that there's an even greater revelation lying ahead for Vince, and it will be bad news for him.

Well, at least I can count on Pino to make things less depressing.
LeeTailorMay 13, 2017 7:38 AM
Aug 19, 2017 11:21 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
pretty interesting ep, but i still want all the other questions answered xD

Jan 18, 2018 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
Dam Vincent, you were right when you suspected you were the god of death or something.

I wonder how the Proxies came to be.
Mar 9, 2018 5:55 PM

Feb 2013
Vincent revealed as Ergo Proxy.
One of the things the series does well through this point is both hint about Vincent, but also casting doubt, making the audience question what they think they know.

The real question... how does he always have new gloves?

I barely recall most of the middle episodes (except for a couple yet to come). Beginning and end I recall, just not much from the middle.

Lot's of "what" answers this episode, not yet "why" answers.
BurntJellyMar 9, 2018 6:01 PM
Apr 13, 2018 6:31 AM

Jul 2017
I don't understand why people are so surprised. It's was hinted from the very first episode that Vincent was a proxy.
May 15, 2018 9:37 AM

Jan 2018
Okay, Vincent really needs to lose his Spanish Inquisition outfit. Bleh

And Pino will always be the best thing about this show.

Now where will the sailboat take them to? And will death fall upon those they will encounter?

Jan 30, 2019 7:52 AM

Mar 2016
That fucking curse pronounced in the midst of that Proxies' death throes... I'm convinced that these things are pagan deities fighting over a post-apocalyptic Earth. If they are associated with specific locations, like the two seem to be in these past episodes, that makes even more sense to me. These gods also seem to come in 'twos' which is interesting.

Waiting to be proven wrong on that.
syncrogazerJan 30, 2019 2:43 PM
Mar 25, 2019 11:55 AM
Jun 2017
lol is that kakashi's seiyuu
Definitely my favorite episode
i liked when pino counted till 400 also vincent is badass in proxy form.
Ultimate_OikawaMar 26, 2019 3:14 AM
Jan 28, 2020 7:27 PM

Jun 2014
Aozure said:
cantius said:

*facepalm*

This.

I can't believe you people didn't realize that he WAS the Proxy >_>
Oh, sorry Mr Know-it-all!! Please, forgive us for not being as brilliant as you XD

These smug dudes are unbearable.
Apr 25, 2020 2:32 AM

Mar 2020
i may be paranoid but no android
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Oct 22, 2020 7:03 AM

Aug 2015
I was expecting this series to be darker in tone than it is. And I wasn't expecting love to be such a big part of the lore. The whole Proxy of [insert thing] seems really random / fake deep. Not really into it.
whitherOct 22, 2020 7:06 AM
Dec 31, 2020 2:41 PM
Mar 2018
It was strongly, strongly implied that Vince was a proxy from the first 2 episodes onwards. This should not really come as a surprise. Instead, we should be asking more about what the blonde guy was getting at.

I do agree, though, with some of the comments above that it all seems a bit arbitrary. As if the show is throwing ideas around but not knowing how to answer them.
Jun 4, 2021 5:31 PM

Mar 2018
This episode had a lot to interpret from a psychological stand point. Glad to see the mysterious veil slowly reveal itself and look forward to Vince's potential discovery of his memories through visiting Mosk.
Celest__Jun 4, 2021 6:03 PM
Jun 9, 2021 1:48 PM
Mar 2021
we got a lot of info but it's pretty much impossible to connect anything right now.
Agent of Brilliance, Agent of Death... What do those names mean? Why is he a traitor? What does "you ran away in the most shameful way, as a proxy" means? Why do they fight each other? Why is Vincent Law's Proxy supposedly protecting Re-l and why did the other Proxy, back at the start of the anime, try to kill her? Are there even any humans left anymore (since he said "People? We're lucky now that all life is dead and gone." )? what if the only real human left is re-l because her name in a previous ep was "real". anyways, exited to see how this anime end
Jun 15, 2021 4:37 AM

Jul 2009
Glad to finally confirmed that Vincent is indeed that proxy that destroyed Re-L's bathroom.

I wonder the reason he did that is to protect her from the first proxy and was subsequently "killed" or "comatose" and now being observed by Daedalus

So Kazkis and Senekis are to be engaged. Kazkis was in charged of Asura and Senekis for Haros.

I guess the reason why Asura and Haros was destroyed by both of them is to initiate the Day of Awakening.

Seems Proxy is indeed a "race" or "species" or "being".

Ergo Proxy. The Proxy of Death!

I love how Pino made another recount while waiting for Vincent XD
Jun 29, 2021 5:19 AM

Aug 2019
I probably would’ve been more shocked at this reveal that Vincent is a proxy if not for the fact both him and Ergo Proxy have the same VA
Aug 16, 2021 9:18 PM

Dec 2018
so it looks like each town or whatever has a proxy and that's related to the births? so is mosks or whatever's proxy the ergo proxy? and i think him being a traitor has something to do with his denying his own existence and wiping his memory and running off to somewhere else.
StateofOhayoAug 16, 2021 9:22 PM
Sep 12, 2021 12:07 AM
Jun 2014
While I enjoy the tone and the characters so far, the actual dialogue and editing are kinda awful.

Characters often show up places without it making sense how they got there.
Blonde dude shoots Vince on the stairs, and then suddenly Vince is in that white room with blonde dudes following him, there's no logical line for how/why characters are where they are. Why did blonde dude let Vince get away? After that blonde dude in proxy form is drinking wine and Vince is following him? Like I can connect the dots in my head for the most part and come up with my own reasons for why certain things happen but its still extremely jarring.

And lines of dialogue that if were spoken to me I would immediately question the validity of.
Vince says something like "If Im not human how can I go on living"
Idk a lot of things that are living go on living without being human.
Does the average person wake up and think "Gosh if I happened to be anything but human it would be pointless to continue living, being human is the reason I want to keep living"?

Its just an extremely weird line of logic to follow.

Blonde dude says "The only option must be that you erased your own memories then"
like whoa, that's pretty presumptuous. I get that that's what the writers are telling us actually happened, but there's no inherent line of deduction that absolutely proves that statement true. Maybe the man just hit his head real hard on accident. You don't know his life.

A bit nit picky but stuff like that makes this seem a bit jarring and illogical, and its starting to pile up. Really hoping it regains its footing with structure and shots composition/editing.

Sep 30, 2021 10:31 AM
Nov 2020
This is when the series took a great turn and really quickened and deepened its pace. I've been hooked since this episode
Jan 15, 2022 2:53 PM

May 2019
KohaiMinus said:
While I enjoy the tone and the characters so far, the actual dialogue and editing are kinda awful.

Characters often show up places without it making sense how they got there.
Blonde dude shoots Vince on the stairs, and then suddenly Vince is in that white room with blonde dudes following him, there's no logical line for how/why characters are where they are. Why did blonde dude let Vince get away? After that blonde dude in proxy form is drinking wine and Vince is following him? Like I can connect the dots in my head for the most part and come up with my own reasons for why certain things happen but its still extremely jarring.

And lines of dialogue that if were spoken to me I would immediately question the validity of.
Vince says something like "If Im not human how can I go on living"
Idk a lot of things that are living go on living without being human.
Does the average person wake up and think "Gosh if I happened to be anything but human it would be pointless to continue living, being human is the reason I want to keep living"?

Its just an extremely weird line of logic to follow.

Blonde dude says "The only option must be that you erased your own memories then"
like whoa, that's pretty presumptuous. I get that that's what the writers are telling us actually happened, but there's no inherent line of deduction that absolutely proves that statement true. Maybe the man just hit his head real hard on accident. You don't know his life.

A bit nit picky but stuff like that makes this seem a bit jarring and illogical, and its starting to pile up. Really hoping it regains its footing with structure and shots composition/editing.

Thanks, im not the only one to be bothered by all this.

But i think EVERY seinen anime from 90's + 2000's was like this, so annoying.

The screenwriter, the director, the editors, the producers, everyone with some sanity could tell: "hey, it is too messed up".

But on purpose the allowed the direction and dialogues to be this confuse, because at 90's it was "cult, stylish".
Jul 8, 2022 1:42 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Vincent being a proxy makes sense for sure with how it was hinted before, so it means he sealed his memory to acquire a human form and leave the city he was supposed to supervise for some reason, also seems like Pino knew all of it hm
Sep 12, 2022 5:37 AM

May 2018
So Vincent was the Ergo Proxy the entire time. I thought the Proxy was an alter ego or something xD
Sep 26, 2022 1:10 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
It was already obvious but finally we get the confirmation that not only is Vincent a proxy but also the one who was in mc's bathroom, the ergo proxy... cool fight

Proxys = Gods, so he's the god of death while the other guy is the god of brilliance (and they said something about truth too?), makes sense since he's the one who forced Vicent to open his eyes.
Autoreivs get "infected" by them and start worshipping them (getting on their knees praying etc)
nostalgiaasSep 26, 2022 1:25 AM

Nov 16, 2022 2:59 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
RRRROOOOOLLLLLLLL CREDDDIIIITTTTSSSS

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 21, 2023 9:28 AM
Jun 2021
Wow. This is getting really interesting
Dec 8, 2023 10:20 AM

Dec 2022
That blonde proxy guy was downing that red wine like a machine. I'm guessing being a proxy made him immune to alcohol poisoning and other assorted side effects associated with being in a constant state of wine drinking.

Shaded Horizon

Dec 19, 2023 9:58 PM
Aug 2022
I can't believe he actually said my name is ergo proxy
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

93 by LonewolfNBU »»
Apr 12, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.