Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 4, 2011 6:27 PM

Jul 2008
I made a photo for my 365 project today that was inspired by the beginning of this ep. Thought I'd share.
Feb 4, 2011 7:09 PM

Oct 2006
This series is starting to bore me..
Feb 4, 2011 7:34 PM

Oct 2010
Oosran said:
DenjaX said:
"It's because she became a mahou shoujo by wishing for someone's recovery. She has superhuman regenerative powers." - Kyuubei
WTH if that is the case, MAMI IS STILL ALIVE?!?!?!?!? She wished for her survival from her accident......
Well, you know... sure if Sayaka can heal faster than others, but dead is still dead after all ┐(-。ー')┌
There is no way you can heal yourself when acids of that monsters eat through you. Rarely have I seen recovery work inside of beast stomachs, enough to save you.
1idd0kun said:
Yuunagi said:
@Kuro-Tenshi: Methinks that has more to do with SHAFT's idiosyncrasies rather than lazy animation. They like playing around with the visuals.
I doubt it. Urobuchi would kill a kitten if Shinbo screws with the meaning of that scene just to be pretentious. For this project, Shaft seems to be restring themselves to play with the witches mazes; the real world seems to be deal with in a normal fashion. In fact, I doubt Shaft could pull off a good depiction of Urobuchi's script if they played too much with the visuals, since a lot of the foreshadowing is delivered through said visuals!!
That's true there was lot of foreshadow with just the black/white colors here and there.
1idd0kun said:
Homura manipulates not only time, but also space (look at the walls). Provided this isn't lazy animation, but I doubt it, because if it was lazy animation, it makes more sense to leave the same background instead of changing it.
Holy shit you might be right. A spatial reset to how things were without affecting the people. Looks to me like Kyuubei could have changed shit around in that dream. If Homura can do this, I don't see why she would not able to kill that monster at the end less it uses the same powers as her and they are far more powerful, thus canceling hers that she has. It would be the only explanation for that.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 4, 2011 8:02 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Darn it. No one died in this one....

I really hope the reality is pretty much the cruel fate of the Puella Magi. I am waiting for them to uncover the terrible truth behind everything.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 4, 2011 8:46 PM
Jul 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
If Homura can do this, I don't see why she would not able to kill that monster at the end less it uses the same powers as her and they are far more powerful, thus canceling hers that she has. It would be the only explanation for that.

Then again, maybe Homura's hax abilities have some unknown limitations. And that monster from episode 1 did seem to be way too powerful.
1idd0kunFeb 4, 2011 8:52 PM
Feb 4, 2011 9:20 PM

Jul 2008
Well in episode 1 Homura was shown able to produce heavy wind with her weapon.
I beleive her ability is related to wind and that she is only dodging things with pure speed.
Feb 4, 2011 9:31 PM
Jun 2008
nice action ^^
She get super heal when she wish something related to heal.I wonder what Mami's wish?
Feb 4, 2011 10:13 PM
Jul 2009
Ginga-Bishoujo said:
I beleive her ability is related to wind and that she is only dodging things with pure speed.

But the pic I posted can not be explained by speed. Only space-time manipulation can explain that really.
Feb 4, 2011 10:56 PM

Apr 2009
GG Sayaka is very underpowered. :S
Feb 4, 2011 11:52 PM

Jan 2011
T'was another solid episode of Madoka, though I was already sold when I saw the new Mahou Shoujo eating taiyaki :)
Feb 4, 2011 11:56 PM

Aug 2010
Another excellent episode.

Seems that Sayaka has more toughness than she let on by standing up that that more seasoned Mahou Shoujo. I think the brilliance that the show did by killing Mami off is now every fight can go either way. There is alot to say to that, not many animes (or stories in general) will risk killing off a main character, but when it pays of it really pays off. Makes the plot so much more believable in many ways. Reminds me quite a bit of the epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire and Ned Stark.

There was a ton of dialog in this episode (actually, last episode was like this as well) as if the show were setting up towards something. It could just be that this show enjoys a slow pace which seems to work for it. I wish they would do something to break up the monotony a bit because 14+ minutes of straight dialog is a bit much, even if the dialog is good and advances the plot. Maybe they are changing as soon as next episode since this one ended in a cliffhanger.
shizu_bara said:
I made a photo for my 365 project today that was inspired by the beginning of this ep. Thought I'd share.
That's pretty awesome :D. I know nothing about arts so at the risk of sounding uneducated, that is a photograph and not some fancy CGI right?

1idd0kun said:
Homura manipulates not only time, but also space (look at the walls). Provided this isn't lazy animation, but I doubt it, because if it was lazy animation, it makes more sense to leave the same background instead of changing it.
I like this theory, although I don't necessarily see the same thing with the backgrounds. I think it is just lazy animation honestly because the poster is missing and the types of pipes are different. Her power does seem to have something to do with time and space though with how she mysteriously evades attacks in episode 3 and in this episode she moved so fast that the other girl didn't even see her coming, possibly because she stopped time and/or used teleportation.

edit: merged posts
desolatoFeb 7, 2011 9:22 AM
Feb 5, 2011 12:10 AM

Aug 2010
shizu_bara said:

That's pretty awesome :D. I know nothing about arts so at the risk of sounding uneducated, that is a photograph and not some fancy CGI right?

1idd0kun said:

I like this theory, although I don't necessarily see the same thing with the backgrounds. I think it is just lazy animation honestly because the poster is missing and the types of pipes are different. Her power does seem to have something to do with time and space though with how she mysteriously evades attacks in episode 3 and in this episode she moved so fast that the other girl didn't even see her coming, possibly because she stopped time and/or used teleportation.
Feb 5, 2011 1:02 AM
Jul 2009
EMChamp said:
I like this theory, although I don't necessarily see the same thing with the backgrounds. I think it is just lazy animation honestly because the poster is missing and the types of pipes are different.

But that's the point. The background changed too much, that's not laziness. Leaving the same background would be lazy. The difference in the background indicates she manipulated the space to change Sayaka's location. That way we can tell it wasn't just teleportation, nor did she just stopped time and then moved Sayaka by hand (which would be rather silly, considering she would have to go back to the center to struck the pose lol).

Basically she remade the space. At least, that's what this picture indicates.
1idd0kunFeb 5, 2011 1:05 AM
Feb 5, 2011 2:12 AM

Nov 2010
Spacial reconstruction theory? that is effing cool o.O, Also Sayaka is kinda underpowered, but her healing is pretty awesome, she's currently me favourite character :P but damn is Homura ever badass, people do NOT mess with her xD. Cept Mami, was she stronger than Homura? or did Homura just not really fight back against her?
Feb 5, 2011 4:52 AM

Sep 2010
The best sword fight scene that I have watched since Stranja Mukou Hadan (sword of the Strager). I'm eager to watch the next episode now :)
Feb 5, 2011 5:11 AM

Nov 2007
1idd0kun said:

But that's the point. The background changed too much, that's not laziness. Leaving the same background would be lazy. The difference in the background indicates she manipulated the space to change Sayaka's location. That way we can tell it wasn't just teleportation, nor did she just stopped time and then moved Sayaka by hand (which would be rather silly, considering she would have to go back to the center to struck the pose lol).

I think you're absolutely right.
Why would Shaft change the background if nothing had altered?
So I think Homura was in a witch-dimension when she made her wish, doing a set-back in time and place.
I have to think things over, but it may favor the Homura = future Madoka theory.
(although that seems too obvious).
cleoFeb 5, 2011 5:16 AM
Feb 5, 2011 5:22 AM

Jun 2008
Kyubey-I can't help Madoka, they are gonna horribly, horribly die fighting each other, with there blood splatter all over and each other blades stabbed inside them. Oh! THE PAIN!!! Look your friend gets more wounds on her body every minute. She ain't gonna live through this. Her throat is gonna be spit in half while she will desperately cry for help. But i can't help her and you are too weak.
She's probably gonna curse you threw her grave for letting her die like that. And i can't even imagine the pain and suffering of her family when they see her curved soulless body. You won't even be able to sleep at night.

If you became a magical girl though..., then you could save her.

So will you become one?

Will you?

TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!!!

Homura- It's ok am here.

(Kyubey inner thoughts) - Bitch, ruin my job again!!!!! Am gonna eat her liver!!!
Feb 5, 2011 5:48 AM

Mar 2008
Love the fact people really think Madoka is going to be a Mahou Shoujo. Remember who is writing. For all he cares she nevers changes to one and trolls all watchers :D.

Though I expect her to change when Sayaka dies. And she wishes all Mahou Shoujo's back who died~!

If you wish also gives you some sort of powers, like Sayaka regenerating, would that mean Madoka could come back from the death :D?
Feb 5, 2011 6:14 AM

Jul 2008
1idd0kun said:
But the pic I posted can not be explained by speed. Only space-time manipulation can explain that really.
You are thinking too much.
Time and space manipulation give you the same power as a god and it would overly overpower her character so it can't happen on this basis.
If she had power over time and space then she wouldn't have any problem keeping an eye on everything she want, she wouldn't had any problem against Mami and she wouldn't had any problem at least dodging the attack from the monster in ep 1.
It give way more sense if she control wind and dodge thing with speed, that would say that the monster in ep1 was just faster than her.
Also I will say that every power a mahou shoujo possess is linked to one thing, basically Sayaka or Mami wouldn't have been able to use wind or anything else because their attribute was already set (Gun and sword)
The same goes with the new girl that use her linked staff.
Homura was seen using wind so her power are based on that.

It's not because it fit with one or two piece of the puzzle that the piece go there in the puzzle.
Wind control + SHAFT explain everything and makes MUCH more sense, and Shaft never were lazy on the animation, it's only their style.
desolatoFeb 7, 2011 9:23 AM
Feb 5, 2011 6:15 AM

Mar 2008
Kyubey... you sick son of a fluff D:
Feb 5, 2011 7:08 AM
Jul 2009
Ginga-Bishoujo said:
You are thinking too much.
Time and space manipulation give you the same power as a god and it would overly overpower her character so it can't happen on this basis.
If she had power over time and space then she wouldn't have any problem keeping an eye on everything she want, she wouldn't had any problem against Mami and she wouldn't had any problem at least dodging the attack from the monster in ep 1.
It give way more sense if she control wind and dodge thing with speed, that would say that the monster in ep1 was just faster than her.
Also I will say that every power a mahou shoujo possess is linked to one thing, basically Sayaka or Mami wouldn't have been able to use wind or anything else because their attribute was already set (Gun and sword)
The same goes with the new girl that use her linked staff.
Homura was seen using wind so her power are based on that.

It's not because it fit with one or two piece of the puzzle that the piece go there in the puzzle.
Wind control + SHAFT explain everything and makes MUCH more sense, and Shaft never were lazy on the animation, it's only their style.
I already say that I don't see Shaft pushing their style on a scene that is crucial to understand Homura's abilities, not with Urobushi's scripts at least. And if you're worry about Homura being overpowered, think of the among of magical energy it must take for her to pull off this things (space time manipulation). Those would be obvious limitation. Besides, the identity and power of the monster from episode 1 is still unknown. If it's true that it's Suleika, the witch of darkness (see info on official madoka website), as many speculate, then I can see more than one reason Homura's powers wouldn't work on it.

But hey, if you disagree, that's ok. Let's just agree to disagree. We'll see what happens.
desolatoFeb 7, 2011 9:23 AM
Feb 5, 2011 8:07 AM

Nov 2007
stevethapirate said:

one last thing... what the hell is kyubey? a demon? whats his orgin? and where are the rest of the kyubeys? Are they like him (and EVIL!!!!)

HOLY SHIZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That picture scared the heck out of me. Kyubei=nightmare fuel
-------------------------------------------------------------
stevethapirate said:
What Im starting to think is that kyubey had some sort of control over Mami and now sayaka.

cleo said:

The only thing I wonder is: wouldn't that be the best piece of information Homura could use to turn Madoka away from becoming a MG? If I were Homura, it's one of the 1st things I would tell herto scare her off.

Maybe Homura can't tell Madoka everything for fear of ruining the spacetime continuum.However if Kyubei has control over them wouldn't he also have control over Homura?

cleo said:

DenjaX said:
"It's because she became a mahou shoujo by wishing for someone's recovery. She has superhuman regenerative powers." - Kyuubei
WTH if that is the case, MAMI IS STILL ALIVE?!?!?!?!? She wished for her survival from her accident......

It would have been interesting if she wished for imortality and not just life.
But that may not be possible.
Yuunagi said:

And remember Mami's suggestion to Madoka? The largest, most extravagant cake to celebrate her becoming a magical girl.

Maybe that is a metaphor for how big Madokas wish has to be -> placing her at the top of the "food chain".

RobinotX said:
Love the fact people really think Madoka is going to be a Mahou Shoujo. Remember who is writing. For all he cares she nevers changes to one and trolls all watchers :D.

You realize that even more epic trolling than that would be:
Kyubei is not evil.
Homura is evil and tries to prevent Madoka from becoming MG because then Madoka would bring peace to the world of MG.
And she succedes!
Epic trolling everyone!
1idd0kun said:
Ginga-Bishoujo said:

That would mean Homura used Temporal Duplication(Ability to bring past and future versions of oneself back to the present) against the clownworm and then exploded the duplicates.
Feb 5, 2011 8:29 AM

Nov 2009
*whistle* enjoyable as usual. I am loving the fact that she hasn't made the contract, but i am still thinking Kyubei is up to no good.
Feb 5, 2011 9:37 AM

Jul 2010
Another awesome episode with an epic fight. Was on the edge of my seat the whole time. And that Kyubey...keeps getting more and more evil...
Feb 5, 2011 9:42 AM

Jul 2008
EMChamp said:
shizu_bara said:

thanks ^_^

I used a mix of photos and photoshop, but no CGI work is done here. ^_^
GreenTea13Feb 5, 2011 12:08 PM
Feb 5, 2011 10:56 AM

Oct 2007
Damn it, Homura. Just when I thought I was about to see Kyubey changes his facial impression to his EVIL smile on his face and said "Just As Planned" and then you ruined it.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Feb 5, 2011 11:24 AM
Aug 2009
Kyubei is a troll.

Sure I am.
Feb 5, 2011 12:46 PM

Oct 2008
Lihn said:
Spacial reconstruction theory? that is effing cool o.O, Also Sayaka is kinda underpowered, but her healing is pretty awesome, she's currently me favourite character :P but damn is Homura ever badass, people do NOT mess with her xD. Cept Mami, was she stronger than Homura? or did Homura just not really fight back against her?

Homura probably would have obliterated Mami.
Swords, guns, chain spears... vs. Spatial Reconstruction (And?) Temporal Distortion

That's like bringing a toothpick, already used by someone so it's nice and blunt, to a gunfight.
Feb 5, 2011 1:15 PM

Sep 2010
Pretty good episode.

i have a funny idea, that when Mahou Shoujo dies, her contract expires, and the granted wish does the same.

That would be very terrible and brutal to that boy.
Feb 5, 2011 1:54 PM

Dec 2009
I will rage if madoka won't use her wish to bring mami back to life !
yuno6.jpg
Feb 5, 2011 7:48 PM

Jul 2008
1idd0kun said:
I already say that I don't see Shaft pushing their style on a scene that is crucial to understand Homura's abilities, not with Urobushi's scripts at least. And if you're worry about Homura being overpowered, think of the among of magical energy it must take for her to pull off this things (space time manipulation). Those would be obvious limitation. Besides, the identity and power of the monster from episode 1 is still unknown. If it's true that it's Suleika, the witch of darkness (see info on official madoka website), as many speculate, then I can see more than one reason Homura's powers wouldn't work on it.

But hey, if you disagree, that's ok. Let's just agree to disagree. We'll see what happens.
Well then I'll remember to quote you in the next threads if you happen to be wrong.
Your argument on the background basically hold no weight except your hope and misconception of how things work when SHAFT do a show, no matter who did the script.
desolatoFeb 7, 2011 9:25 AM
Feb 5, 2011 10:13 PM

May 2010
Spirit_Sempai said:
I will rage if madoka won't use her wish to bring mami back to life !

I really hope she won't. It's the dying part that separates this from the typical maho shoujo animes and I don't want that to be ruined by characters going back to life. :\ My only wish for Mami is for her (dead) body to come back to earth but I doubt they'd wish for that.
Feb 5, 2011 10:51 PM

Aug 2010
1idd0kun said:

I tried to find a scene that would show they randomly change the position of the pipes completely like this one, but to no avail. What I did find causes me to retract my previous statement about the background animation of the pipes being sloppy or lazy -- quite the contrary, I am surprised how much effort they put into being consistent with their positions. Here are some examples of that consistency:

Pipes are in the same positions when zoomed up.

Another example of pipe consistency. The pipes in these two sets are remarkably similar, even when zoomed to the combatants in the background the pipes are the same. However, note in the first picture, there is water falling in between them, in the second there is no water. This appears to be inconsistency.

Another example of inconsistency, Madoka should be behind the red barrier thing, note the time.

They could have simply used this background and it would have been fine.

It appears to be a mistake as far as the story goes, Madoka should be trapped behind that barrier.

I think all that these images show is that there are examples of lazy animation and inconsistent backgrounds, but not to the degree that you show for the spatial reconstruction.

Not sure what to make of this in regards to the theory, because I think this shows SHAFT can be inconsistent in their backgrounds. It seems odd that they would take pains to keep their positioning consistent for the entire episode only to change them randomly for one scene at the end. Again though, I struggle to draw any conclusions from the backgrounds because they can be inconsistent

Getting back to the theory though, I'll put my thoughts in list form for readability:

- I looked back on episode one's first scene where Homura fights the witch (I presume it was) and was losing.
-Her powers there seemed to indicate that she could phase herself to dodge incoming attacks, similar to what she did in episode 3.
-This could indicate she does have the ability to manipulate matter (or at least herself). It is conceivable that she uses this power to make it appear that she is teleporting. After all she has to run towards the fight in order to stop them, just as she had to run to catch Kyubey -- why not just teleport?
-I did not really see any time element in where she stops time though. Just from my vision of time-stopping abilities and teleportation, it seems unnecessary that she would have both these abilities.

All this leads me to lean towards Homura holding not time-related abilities, but matter-related abilities:

-In episode 1, she is able to push the dust out of the way with what at first glance looks like wind abilities.
-Given that Homura was depicted as an archer in the promo, it makes sense, thematically at least, that she has the wind on her side.
-Perhaps her teleportation ability is something like wind walking (turning invisible and phasing through being able to travel through the wind). Also, in the first episode's first scene, when she blocks the last projectile it looks as if something is pushing against it to deflect the attack, like wind.
If it was matter, she might have simply redirected the attack towards the enemy or maybe even materialize something to block it, something that would suggest matter manipulation.
-She can also fly in the first episode, which seems like a kind of "wind" type ability.
-When Homura lands, like in the last scene of this episode and in a few scenes in 1 and 3, just lands very lightly, like she is made of air or something
-Notice that when she lands, her hair seems to be blowing, as if from an invisible breeze that did not seem to affect the other characters before.

As a final word I will leave with this opinion/summary. It seems that the pipes in the scene were indeed changed somehow by Homura. As you said, why go through the trouble if they can just redraw the background. They have done it before, as I have shown, and the pipes were in the same positions. That being said, there was also some visible inconsistency in those scenes which suggests that they are somewhat casual (lazy) with the backgrounds so it may be difficult to read too much into them. I cannot see the spatial reconstruction working on the basis of only this one scene, especially when other parts of the series seem to point to Homura's power being something else. I am not sure that given what I have seen so far from Homura, her powers have much to do with any time-space elements.

To clarify about the pipes:
This is just inconsistency, a large inconsistency, but so was the one where Madoka is not trapped behind the gate. My guess? Someone else handled the scenes where Homura appeared and the background was drawn differently, simple as that.

What I hypothesize then is this:
Instead of solid matter, what Homura has control over is air.
Feb 6, 2011 12:19 AM
Aug 2010
I think Homura wished for Immortality and that she is a lot older than she looks which is why she has lived long enough to see perhaps hundred or even thousands of Magical Girls Die and why she is so Jaded.

I wonder what the limitation are on the Wish are if someone could wish for Ominipotence then the war would be over in a day.
Feb 6, 2011 12:31 AM

Sep 2008
tameknight said:
I think Homura wished for Immortality and that she is a lot older than she looks which is why she has lived long enough to see perhaps hundred or even thousands of Magical Girls Die and why she is so Jaded.

I wonder what the limitation are on the Wish are if someone could wish for Ominipotence then the war would be over in a day.

Under that theory she would either be from before the current Kyuubi, or Kyuubi has simply forgotten her.

I have a suspicion that witches aren't strictly a finite resource, so the war's not gonna end no matter what you do. They're like disease, doesn't matter how many you cure, more are just gonna keep popping up causing trouble in new and confusing ways.
Feb 6, 2011 3:16 AM

Aug 2010
I'm still wondering... why are girls like kondom-chan after the grief seeds. The only EXPLAINED use for them is to purify soul gems after you used up some of their power.
However, if someone else fights the witch and gets the grief seed, you don't have to use your power and have no use for the grief seed anyways.
So why is Kondom-chan after the grief seeds? I think there's some other use for them, apart from purifying, that makes the girls go after them, a use that makes it worth taking the risk of getting killed.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Feb 6, 2011 3:21 AM

Nov 2007
EMChamp said:
Given that Homura was depicted as an archer in the promo...

I had completely forgotten about that!
So I watched those PV's again, and both Madoka and Homura are depicted as archers.
Put together with the other Fate/Stay Night references, it really makes me wonder if indeed Homura = Madoka.

EMChamp said:
To clarify about the pipes:
This is just inconsistency, a large inconsistency, but so was the one where Madoka is not trapped behind the gate.My guess? Someone else handled the scenes where Homura appeared and the background was drawn differently, simple as that.

What I hypothesize then is this:
Instead of solid matter, what Homura has control over is air.

Imo there's a big difference between inconsistencies and a complete reconstruction of the background.
I've got another theory, but I'm curious what you think Homura's dream is that gives her control over air?
Feb 6, 2011 5:19 AM

Jan 2008
If you get healing powers from wishing for someone to recover... what do you get when you wish to live, like Mami did? I'm smelling something "just as keikaku" here.
Feb 6, 2011 7:03 AM
Jun 2008
It seem a lot of guessing going around on what is Homura's ability ....hehe.I will put my guess as well.I guess she is a bubble user =)
Feb 6, 2011 8:05 AM

Apr 2007
cleo said:
EMChamp said:
To clarify about the pipes: This is just inconsistency, a large inconsistency, but so was the one where Madoka is not trapped behind the gate.My guess? Someone else handled the scenes where Homura appeared and the background was drawn differently, simple as that.
Imo there's a big difference between inconsistencies and a complete reconstruction of the background.
I doubt there's any way to tell for certain whether it was intentional or not, but regardless it provides some interesting insight about the animation process. If one compares the backgrounds of these two shots (both of which take place before Homura appears):

you'll notice that, while superficially similar, a few differences are there. Compare the angle of the shadows the the little "horn"-looking pipes make on the wall behind them. But then if you look at tinier details such as the scratches in the wall and such, you can see that, except for some different shading, they are effectively identical. Barring a complete redraw of the background, scratches and all, obviously this was done with layering (similar to what most people who use Photoshop are familiar with) in whatever software they used, but the question is, why take the extra effort of moving the shadows assuming the rest of the background is the same? Who knows. From my own observations, this type of thing happens all the time and most shows' audience wouldn't bother to notice how the water flow was shifted in the above shots (a foreground animation mistake there, not background) or how, in those lateral shots the alley floor is 5-6 panels wide while while in linear views it's only 3 panels wide. Remembering, of course, that while we say "Shaft", as if they created the entire show, it's actually more like this when dealing with how these cartoons are made:

And as for Homura's ability, take your pick. In episode one she flies around and takes direct hits from skyscrapers. She also throws purple crap at Kyubey while chasing him (assuming that was her and the little bastard didn't set that up as well, just like he probably evilly masterminded Mami's "death", Kamijou's "accident", Bleach/Naruto filler, the Hindenburg Disaster, etc., etc., but I digress) around. In episode three, she's wicked fast and leaves bombs when you least expect them. And, in this episode, as stated by MorningGlory above, she might have a bubble/droplet thing going on, since not only did she have all those little droplets around her when she broke up the fight, but they made extra sure to animate those droplets on Homura's cup lid well during her chat at the restaurant with Madoka earler.

So, in summary: EPILEPTIC TREES
Feb 6, 2011 9:26 AM

May 2008
Iri said:

haha. Makes since.....Holy crap I just realized that we havent seen kyubey true form yet... He could be anything or anyone! Maybe he is the sole cause for all disasters ever! He was probably Hitler and Stalin at the same time!And he creates hurricanes and tornadoes and stuff too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Clever furry........
(‿‿ ) Holy shiz hes here!!! Ive found out too much! *dead*Im not so sure about the Homura actually being Madoka and going back in time stuff....
I mean I think shes really fast or maybe has the power to slow time. But I dont think shes actually Madoka. Although I do have to say Kyubey saying that he doesnt know if she signed a contract with him or not is kinda suspicious...

I still think it'll be intresting to find out more about kyubey. Like if he has someone he has to work for. Maybe he doesnt even know why he has to get Madoka, but Mrs. Kyubey is being held hostage. Also It would be intresting to see a rival kyubey. Maybe still evil as the dickins but not Kyubeys friend.

In summary there are two questions im waiting to see answered:
1) what is Kyubey and what is his main goal(besides molesting err...... magicing Madoka)/motivations for this goal
2)Why is Homura so concerned about Madoka, and where did she come from.......

idk... Forgive me for being slightly crazy rights now... I gots the flu so this post is fever induced haha (same with my last one)

edit: merged posts
kyubey is watching you (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ )
Feb 6, 2011 10:20 AM

Aug 2010
cleo said:
I had completely forgotten about that!
So I watched those PV's again, and both Madoka and Homura are depicted as archers.
Put together with the other Fate/Stay Night references, it really makes me wonder if indeed Homura = Madoka.
Hmm I'm not sure what to make of that. Who is the girl with the longer pink hair that is with Madoka in the OP? I always assumed that was Madoka's inner magical girl or something, but maybe it could be Homura somehow? Just offering my two cents.

Cleo said:
I've got another theory, but I'm curious what you think Homura's dream is that gives her control over air?

Certainly there is a big difference, but given that, as Iri stated, the backgrounds are drawn by many people, perhaps its not such as large a mistake as we thought. In the scheme of things, the barriers missing on Madoka seems to be a larger mistake than the pipes being wrong story-wise. So they are certainly capable of making a mistake even at that level. I'd also like to say that I find it hard to believe that if they wanted to reveal something about Homura's power, you would think they would make it more obvious. I mean if they go to the trouble of switching the pipes, I doubt they would take the chance that the viewer would miss such a important revelation.

Not sure about Homura's dream (wish?), perhaps it has something to do with why in episode one, girls commented about her hair and appearance being so pretty? For fun, I'll speculate she wished for good looks or something to that effect, although that is most certainly wrong. Just not enough info to form anything on that just yet I think.

But why is it wind? Perhaps wind has something to do with beauty in Japanese culture. Or Perhaps she wanted a portable hairdryer :p.
desolatoFeb 7, 2011 9:26 AM
Feb 6, 2011 1:59 PM

Jul 2010
Kyuubei is looking increasingly evil..
- When Sayaka made her wish/contract, why did the whole place look so eerie and ominous?
- Using reverse psychology on Madoka -- suggesting an idea, then saying it's ok if she doesn't want, then assuring that he'll always be there
- Didn't he say in earlier eps that he wasn't supposed to give ideas for the wishes of the to-be- Mahou Shōjo? Why is he going back on his words now?
- And the fact that he don't care to stop 2 Mahou Shōjo fighting each other. If he has the power to contract, I'm sure he also has the power to stop
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Feb 6, 2011 3:00 PM
Nov 2010
The difference between Kyubey and the usual fluffy mahou shoujo mascot is, he only talks when either trying to convince the girls to a contract, or guiding towards a battle. He's slient when it comes to the girl's feelings and never provide any comfort/empathy. Since we dont' know Kyubey's objectives, can't say for certain he's evil. He simply manipulates to push a particular outcome, much like how the new girl is using her powers as a means to an end (I'm guessing her wish was an endless supply of snacks? lol queue Tim Tam ad). I wouldn't classify her as evil, she just uses the power as she see fits. Kyubey certainly is not choosing girls by their 'personality' but rather latent power, so it has to do with the soul gems and the seeds and what a collection of these may do.
Feb 6, 2011 4:31 PM

Aug 2009
Madoka fighting game needs to made NOW. But really, this show is just klfjsadfjkdasfkjsdafjsdlkajfsda <3
Feb 6, 2011 7:07 PM
Jul 2009
I see some people posted interesting comments about Homura's powers. I stand by my original theory, spatial reconstruction. I'm still undecided about time manipulation. Anyway, we'll see how things pan out.

On another note, here's some comments from Urobuchi (the writer):

From BLT interview with Yuuki Aoi (Madoka's VA):

1idd0kunFeb 6, 2011 11:07 PM
Feb 6, 2011 9:27 PM

Jul 2010
potplant said:
The difference between Kyubey and the usual fluffy mahou shoujo mascot is, he only talks when either trying to convince the girls to a contract, or guiding towards a battle. He's slient when it comes to the girl's feelings and never provide any comfort/empathy. Since we dont' know Kyubey's objectives, can't say for certain he's evil. He simply manipulates to push a particular outcome, much like how the new girl is using her powers as a means to an end (I'm guessing her wish was an endless supply of snacks? lol queue Tim Tam ad). I wouldn't classify her as evil, she just uses the power as she see fits. Kyubey certainly is not choosing girls by their 'personality' but rather latent power, so it has to do with the soul gems and the seeds and what a collection of these may do.

Seems like Urobuchi Gen hints otherwise
http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Translated_Official_Documents#Kyubey_cuteness
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Feb 6, 2011 9:35 PM
Aug 2010
The live full version of Magia is out. (:
Feb 6, 2011 11:07 PM

Jan 2008
perpetual said:
The live full version of Magia is out. (:

And it is delicious. Even by Kalafina standards.
Feb 7, 2011 12:29 AM

Oct 2010
1idd0kun said:
From BLT interview with Yuuki Aoi (Madoka's VA):
Sigsig said:
I cannot wait for that answer! I hope the visuals will chill down in fear to anyone foolish enough to become a magical girl and not sure how boys will react to all of this, but we shall see it here very much and I cannot wait to either sympathize with you or try convince you of its fear. Already I did so in this episode with Sayaka's ritual with Kyuubey. It does not look much but it's quite deeper going as far as someone mentioning in response to my remark that it looks like Kyuubey took Sayaka's innocence. In that very matter a sexual relationship where between "A,B and C" it goes to B, touching her body. Yes it can be viewed as that with the visuals although it's not direct in your face like Yosuga no Sora, far from it. That's why me and some people analyze every detail.
potplant said:

Seems like Urobuchi Gen hints otherwise
http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Translated_Official_Documents#Kyubey_cuteness
What he hints at is Kyuubei's cute appearance to deceive and he won't fool me. I read the translations of that conversation and it clearly hints at that. That means Kyuubei is deceiving at the very least. Sounds fishy to me.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1543 by Biisoo »»
Apr 23, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.