Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 10, 2013 4:08 AM

Oct 2008
ronri said:
So again, the Epilogue didn't need to further elaborate on such "questions" considering how most of these were already answered within the series. The fact that the Epilogue even bothered to further flesh out some of those ideas, yet you still missed them, is something that's just incomprehensible at this point.

I accept all your rebutals, since I sincerely also think I missed out on many things, but I'm sorry I watched them a second time (also read the books, what's available in English) and still I feel like any of those problems were properly addressed. I still think there's not enough going on. Why aren't there more mages going after her if she's such an important key role to the whole research? Once they're done with those two "villains" that's all there is to it. Shiki's family, that's a great way you put it, and that's how I thought. Problem is: that's not enough for me. I never met anyone from the family except that one servant of Shiki's, and he's not family, not really. They are just mentioned enough to say "omg they bred her just for this crap because they're arrogant." That's it. I have no feelings of that, I just know it because I've been told through a indirect way. They could've shown Shiki facing the head of the family, giving them the middle finger, anything. Nope, they just never show them. And that's the problem with the whole story and characters. I know plenty of facts, but it's like the characters in the Avatar movie (non-Cameron): They give me a whole bunch of exposition and facts via talking, but nothing that makes them seem as actual, empathic characters. It's like they expect us to already come into the movies (as a whole) knowing several things and accepting at face value some facts they just told us and expect to build empathy over that, instead of showing us which they could've done with 7 whole movies.

So I'm sorry again that you found my reaction incomprehensible. The epilogue was 27 minutes of boring monologue that I could've done without. I enjoyed the movies otherwise, even though I think they were more flashy and just enough content to hint to a deeper and greater plot, it's like they just gave us the tip of the iceberg, and they never bothered properly fleshing out the rest. The fact that they had 7 movies and 5 was amazing and they fleshed out Tomoe just right just makes me think they could've done more but stuck with prolonging moments that weren't necessary to prolong any longer, just to make it look very "philosophical" or just pretty soul searching, I don't know.

And I apologize for my English, it's not my first language so some things I probably didn't explain well or fleshed out, but I try not to sound mean. It's genuinely a good anime, just not as good as needing a production of 7 movies, but that's just my opinion, of course. That's how I felt about this series, and this coming from someone who enjoyed Fate/Stay Night a lot. It's one of the best stories I've read/played as visual novel.
YakuriDec 10, 2013 4:18 AM
Dec 10, 2013 12:31 PM

Sep 2011
Yakuri said:
I still think there's not enough going on. Why aren't there more mages going after her if she's such an important key role to the whole research?

Because it's illegal? Because it's underground? Do note that the Magi in Kara no Kyoukai are the more underground bunch, the kind of folks that would delve in warping/destroying reality unlike the ones depicted in the Fate universe. Not to mention that it's not like Shiki is an obvious target for literally every Magus. Let's not forget that Araya practically embodied this goal of finding the Origin, and his utter dedication to the point of resorting to life-prolonging self-experimentation and living out 200 years and doing nothing but just that, is why there aren't many "other" Magi doing the same thing he's doing.

I don't get why there's a need for "a lot of things going on" when it's providing a much more introspective and ponderous narrative, especially one that revolves around a blatantly introverted cast such as in Kara no Kyoukai where everyone is far more secluded and secretive about their lives (unlike the flashy "epic" that is depicted in the Fate storylines). There doesn't need to be so many things going on for a plot to be interesting, and if you're questioning the overall pacing on why it's so ponderous and why it takes its time, allow me to quote Roger Ebert, a well-regarded film critic:
"Instead of every movement being dictated by the story, sometimes people will just sit for a moment, or they will sigh, or look in a running stream, or do something extra, not to advance the story but only to give the sense of time and place and who they are."

And to quote Hayao Miyazaki's response to Ebert's:
"We have a word for that in Japanese. It’s called ma. Emptiness. It’s there intentionally. [claps his hands] The time in between my clapping is ma. If you just have non-stop action with no breathing space at all, it’s just busyness. but if you take a moment, then the tension building in the film can grow into a wider dimension. If you just have constant tension at 80 degrees all the time you just get numb."

Yakuri said:
Once they're done with those two "villains" that's all there is to it.

Again, you're disregarding the fact that the narrative of Kara no Kyoukai is far more introspective and focused only on a number characters, so it wouldn't make sense why they'd need to draw in so many villains. Kara no Kyoukai already provides a plethora of antagonists, it doesn't need any more "villains" considering the amount they've already provided: Kirie Fujou, Asagami Fujino, Araya Souren, Cornelius Alba, Satsuki Kurogiri, Ouji Misaya, and Shirazumi Lio. So no, that's not "all there is to it", when you consider how the story invokes a more introspective narrative that doesn't require drawing in a more worldly scale when providing a cast of characters.

Yakuri said:
Shiki's family, that's a great way you put it, and that's how I thought. Problem is: that's not enough for me. I never met anyone from the family except that one servant of Shiki's, and he's not family, not really. They are just mentioned enough to say "omg they bred her just for this crap because they're arrogant." That's it. I have no feelings of that, I just know it because I've been told through a indirect way. They could've shown Shiki facing the head of the family, giving them the middle finger, anything. Nope, they just never show them. And that's the problem with the whole story and characters. I know plenty of facts, but it's like the characters in the Avatar movie (non-Cameron): They give me a whole bunch of exposition and facts via talking, but nothing that makes them seem as actual, empathic characters. It's like they expect us to already come into the movies (as a whole) knowing several things and accepting at face value some facts they just told us and expect to build empathy over that, instead of showing us which they could've done with 7 whole movies.

So you didn't notice her father training her in sword-fighting in such a brutal and non-safe manner with real swords? What about Shiki's warped perceptions and her insecurities? Insecurities and a mental imbalance that she clearly demonstrates through her developed two personalities and a violent murderous streak? You're implying that the films need to "show don't tell" when you're ignoring the fact that the narrative is barely even focused on her upbringing and more about her personal introspection and insecurities as a person who desires normalcy yet denies it from herself, something that the films show quite a lot.

Also your criticism towards the idea to know about certain facts is something I find a bit questionable considering how when I first watched Kara no Kyoukai, I didn't even know any of the mythos established in Type-Moon works until watching this series. The fact that it simply borrows some of the most basic concepts of various religions and even delves into their use of it for those who seem lost, means there's enough information within the work itself to illustrate its point. It gets to the point where it seems more like you're just being dismissive of what it tries to get across simply because certain narrative choices didn't click well enough for you in terms of what you're looking for.

Yakuri said:
So I'm sorry again that you found my reaction incomprehensible. The epilogue was 27 minutes of boring monologue that I could've done without.

Considering how the Epilogue goes on to answer and expand on some of the questions you were asking, I think it's unfair for you to dismiss it just because you found it as nothing more than 27 minutes of "boring" dialogue (the correction was needed), especially when you can't seem to find said answers to your questions even if the films already addressed them. Again it's an Epilogue, not a full-blown film entry in the series. Not only does it close off the series thematically, it also serves to tie up the last loose ends of the story. Your seeming preference for a more flashy epilogue is just that, pure preference, but it does not in any way make the Epilogue unimportant especially when it serves as a proper closing to the series' narrative Interesting when one considers that you seem to view the rest of the series as just being flashy in most of what it does, yet this time when it DOES get into last few bits of the story, you'd rather prefer a more flashy presentation than one that focuses on the actual story?

Yakuri said:
I enjoyed the movies otherwise, even though I think they were more flashy and just enough content to hint to a deeper and greater plot, it's like they just gave us the tip of the iceberg, and they never bothered properly fleshing out the rest. The fact that they had 7 movies and 5 was amazing and they fleshed out Tomoe just right just makes me think they could've done more but stuck with prolonging moments that weren't necessary to prolong any longer, just to make it look very "philosophical" or just pretty soul searching, I don't know.

"Prolonging"? We get what, Kirie, Fujino, Shiki, Mikiya, Tomoe, Araya, Azaka, and even Lio, all of which are at least explored enough and given character arcs of their own, enough to stand as individual entries within a film (a whole series in the case of Shiki in particular) There wasn't just "hinting", it pretty much spells out an entire plot that centers on the very character of Shiki Ryougi (both in the reality and world-shattering sense that is Araya Souren, and the life-destroying psychological breakdown that is Shirazumi Lio). The fact that it even provides other character arcs is surprising enough considering how it all mainly comes down to one person in terms of the actual narrative focus. Again, it didn't need to "hint" at greater plot when it has already established a huge one of its own. It doesn't to be bigger scale to be "better" you know, especially when it provides a chock full of story already.

Nothing is simply "made" to look "philosophical" or "pretty soul searching", as if that even makes any sense when the story goes out of its way to actually tell just that as well as showing it through nuanced storytelling. It's all there, and you seem to dismiss them outright simply because you seem to miss out on details or ignore certain nuances implied within the series. Again, despite your claims that the series needs to do more "show don't tell", it's interesting to note that you still seem to ignore the more obvious directorial choices in terms of dialogue, narrative and mise en scene within the series, especially when a lot of it is actually done through imagery (despite your insistence that it never shows anything, it actually shows A LOT more than it tells at all).
ronriDec 10, 2013 1:44 PM
Jan 4, 2014 5:12 PM

Aug 2013
It was an interresting special. What disapointed me is that it's taking the name of ''epilogue'' without being an epilogue. It's after the seventh movie, but it's not closing the story. It's more like a philosophycal questionning on life meaning and what's important for Shiki. It also talk about how she reached the Origin, which is interresting. But it was kind of difficult to follow sometime, it was hard to know at some point if it was that third Shiki that was talking or the male Shiki. Also, the other critic we could do is about the fact that all the episode take place at same spot. It really look like they took the background, redraw it a few time and putted snowflakes in the background, it's not really elaborated.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 11, 2014 2:09 PM

Sep 2013
@Yakuri

So if I understood correctly you basically wanted there to be like a big boss of Araya Souren that Shiki would fight as a final battle, and that would be the epic conclusion to the story. Perhaps they visit a magical castle in the sky or something?(Anyone up for some Laputa action?) The fact that this movie series has none of those, instead it tries to fit together the supernatural, the human mind, the asian philosophy and the ordinary life, is exactly why this series is on a whole different level to almost anything else for me.

Instead, other characters don't mention anything about stuff like that. Kokuto doesn't ask if there are any other mages or some shit. He doesn't because he doesn't care. All he wants is to be a normal guy. Now that's realistic, that's what I would do.

The films epic conclusion is not some great outer scheme revealed to us all to which we scream in awe; instead it is Kokuto and Shiki (Ying and Yang?) finally both understanding each other. Simple and so beautiful.

And this was an extra primarily for those who were really interested in the laws of Kara no Kyoukai, so take it with a grain of salt. It was kinda boring for me too.

Edit: Well, Ronri said everything I wanted to, but better. That is pretty hard to argue against, with Miyazaki quotes and shit ^^
cupcFeb 11, 2014 5:17 AM
Jan 24, 2014 12:28 PM

Dec 2013
This episode was a fine way to start a break before Mirai Fukuin.
Feb 8, 2014 2:52 AM

Dec 2012
All they did was stand in the snow and talk about identity and existence for 30 minutes...and I loved it. I didn't mind the lack of action and the focus on heavy conversation was a nice way to bring closure. The nighttime snowfall on the road overlooking the city was the perfect setting and had the right atmosphere for this poetic and thought provoking dialogue. I enjoyed delving into the ideas that were presented and look forward to continue reflecting on it afterwards. 8/10

This also made me think back to what Shiki kept saying when she roamed around the streets at night, about whether she's alone or if she wants to feel that she's alone.
Mar 2, 2014 8:12 AM

May 2010
interesting conversation - yes BUT its too dragged out and it could have been done in 10 minutes!

ppl really think this was deep? it was philosophical but there was soo much repetition and rewording (by shiki) in the dialogue ..this was ridiculous!
i absolutely get that ppl had ahard time following this piece. and this says much much more about the writer than the viewers.

6/10
Mar 2, 2014 8:37 AM

Sep 2013
Kerozinn said:
interesting conversation - yes BUT its too dragged out and it could have been done in 10 minutes!

ppl really think this was deep? it was philosophical but there was soo much repetition and rewording (by shiki) in the dialogue ..this was ridiculous!
i absolutely get that ppl had ahard time following this piece. and this says much much more about the writer than the viewers.

6/10

It wasn't supposed to be deep. Its purpose was to clear some misconceptions someone may have from the lore of KnK.
Mar 2, 2014 10:07 AM

May 2010
cupc said:
Kerozinn said:

6/10

It wasn't supposed to be deep. Its purpose was to clear some misconceptions someone may have from the lore of KnK.

never said it was supposed to be deep. it just wasnt for me.
Mar 12, 2014 4:14 PM

Sep 2013
My head hurts from watching that...

So this was the original Ryougi Shiki who around infancy created 2 polar opposite personalities, female Shiki and male SHIKI? KnK is great and all but a half-hour of that discussion was waaaaay boring, repetitive, and confusing because of said repetition.
Jun 6, 2014 7:15 PM

May 2013
I saw Kara no Kyoukai Epiloge and was fascinated by it. I still don't understand why it has so low score, but this is MAL...
And then I have read comments here. WOW did I enjoy reading discussion between Ronri and Senjri. I would gladly discuss with you guys but as I'm not confident with my english discuss skills (been a while since I wrote something in english)... I agree with conclusion you come to (which is very close with mine and I'm happy to find people thinking someway like me). You did "force" me to do some reading on Taiji and Daoism themes to be able to follow your discussion hahaha.
Thank for helping me to clear/sort my thoughts about Kara no Kyoukai. :) There is still one thing itching me... Why did the detective (Kokutou's cousin or something like that) give informations of murders to Kokutou? Was he looking for advices or suggestions from Kokutou (who has good investigations skills) or did he had some (hidden) motives?
Exuse me for my english as it isn't even my second language :)
Jun 11, 2014 1:26 AM

Jul 2012
Croat said:
I saw Kara no Kyoukai Epiloge and was fascinated by it. I still don't understand why it has so low score, but this is MAL...
And then I have read comments here. WOW did I enjoy reading discussion between Ronri and Senjri. I would gladly discuss with you guys but as I'm not confident with my english discuss skills (been a while since I wrote something in english)... I agree with conclusion you come to (which is very close with mine and I'm happy to find people thinking someway like me). You did "force" me to do some reading on Taiji and Daoism themes to be able to follow your discussion hahaha.
Thank for helping me to clear/sort my thoughts about Kara no Kyoukai. :) There is still one thing itching me... Why did the detective (Kokutou's cousin or something like that) give informations of murders to Kokutou? Was he looking for advices or suggestions from Kokutou (who has good investigations skills) or did he had some (hidden) motives?
Exuse me for my english as it isn't even my second language :)

I'm glad you were able to get something worthwhile out of our discussion! ^_^

At the time I was really new to Kara no Kyoukai and confused/uncertain about several things as well, and ronri was not only immensely helpful, but also immensely enjoyable to discuss it with. He's got an excellent handle on it.

As for your question, yes, you're correct in thinking that Kokutou's cousin (whose name, if I remember correctly, is Daisuke; at this point it's been a while since I last watched the films) was looking for advice from Kokutou because of his excellent investigative skills.

I know the Epilogue has gotten a lot of flack because people think it's too long or boring or pretentious, etc. etc., but I really love it because of what it adds to the rest of the series when you look back on the other films with the knowledge gained from the Epilogue film. It adds this whole new layer of intricacy that I think makes the series as a whole feel even more solidly interwoven than it already did.

Anywho, I hope my answer was helpful to you, even if it just helped you be more confident in the conclusion you already came to!
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Aug 15, 2014 8:10 AM

Jun 2012
Best knk movie.
Sep 2, 2014 4:13 PM
Aug 2011
Even though i didn't agree with most of the ideas presented, i liked the way they were presented.

I want to give the epilogue a 9 out of 10 as a conclusion to this series, since i would give it a 9 if the series was just one anime entry even though i gave most of the movies 8.
Oct 10, 2014 1:16 PM

Nov 2012
This epilogue made me more confused than it did to conclude things.
Jan 29, 2015 12:58 AM

Jul 2012
This epilogue definitely isn't for everyone. It was a pretty long interaction that probably works better written in the novel, but this wasn't bad of an adaptation. I wouldn't have read it if it wasn't adapted, so there's that. This was just a bit too tedious for me, as I had to pause at almost every sentence to grasp what they were saying. Although, it doesn't help that I don't remember half of their conversation haha. But I got the main points.
Jul 12, 2015 12:07 PM

Feb 2015
Guessing this is closure for the novel readers that watched the movies. Didn't care much for it.
Nov 11, 2015 7:32 PM

Feb 2015
lasercannon said:

Anyways, as you’re probably aware, KnK as a whole has an underlying tale about the relationship between mind, body, and soul.

From a chapter chronology perspective, this is how the work jerks you around:
1) Bodies and mind/soul can be split (Fujou bloodline) and relation between the body and mind (rooftop speech) is explored by Touko.
2) The nature of Shiki (pre-accident) is revealed: she appears to be dual-personality and has a crushing desire to kill. Again, the disconnect between mind/soul and body is emphasized as two mind/souls reside in one body and she talks about how the Shikis feel like polar opposites.
3) Via Fujino the purpose of the body is explored quite heavily. If you remember Touko’s line, “not having a body means not having anything; without it, you never feel pain, and without feeling pain, you never feel elation; and without feeling elation, you never feel the pleasure of accomplishment.” Also interesting is that in the book this chapter explores the difference between magus and superpowers. Superpowers are described as channels, and I can expound on this later if you want because I LOVE this explanation.
4) Four symbolizes a huge “revelation” of sorts as you realize that Shiki was never dual personality. But via the reference “to the hole inside her” you’re left with an unanswered question of what’s going on. The relationship between mind, body and soul is really central to this chapter as Shiki picks up on the speech mannerisms of the deceased Shiki while several forces fight over her body.
5) Via Araya Souren there’s huge emphasis on the soul; this chapter does a LOT. Touko reveals that she’d already created complete clones of herself (body and mind/soul) that always resulted in the same thing; via the Kigen the soul and ancestry/evolution/generations of souls are explained, and then there’s that very, very subtle hint. That oh so very subtle hint when Shiki “wakes up” out of being comatose. Araya believes this is the Ryougi thing about self-hypnosis. There’s an obvious implication of the body simply being a vessel; Shiki’s murderous intent is born from her Kigen of the null, and there’s a lot of hypothesizing about the relation between her null Kigen and the Acasic Record.
6) And then there is Kurogiri Satsuki. Aside from his interesting position in between all parties, he’s actually the symbol for the mind. Satsuki in the novel is actually a guy who lost his past because “of the mischief of fairies;” he’s not actually a magus (as he was described in the movie) because he has little to no magical powers, he’s more an ESPer (ala the ch 3) who happens to be able to speak to and understand everything; as a result of his loss of memory due to the fairies he actually trained really hard under the supervision of the magus church to try to retrieve memories. In fact, via his Goddot Word superpower he’s possibly the only character in the Nasuverse who has direct access to the Acasic Record and doesn’t give a fuck. However, he realized that his memories are absolutely lost because they’re not in the Acasic Records – this is puzzling, but yeah. For reasons not fully explained, he takes off from the supervision (aka captive life) under the Church and becomes hunted, because he’s a wanted man for his direct connection to the Acasic Record. Araya manipulates a very willing to comply Satsuki toward Ryougi, in order to awaken her memories. As a result of Satsuki’s apathetic (and even sadistic) compliance, as a result of this chapter all the memories and thoughts of the deceased Shiki return to her, making her “whole” again, but exacerbating the pain of having lost part of her. This obviously displays the difference between mind and soul, and makes you realize MPD = multiple minds, Ryougi = multiple souls, and the mind is distinctly separate from the soul as Satsuki extracted the remaining mind and reconnected it in her.
7) This is why we said 7 was lame by comparison. This was just a tying of loose ends of the story of Ryougi Shiki. Nothing was revealed here that we didn’t know already. But that leaves…
8) The Epilogue. Mind-blowing. One night, Ryougi Shiki wakes up. This is neither of the Shiki we have come to know, but rather the original; this is the Shiki Kokutou fell in love with (the Shiki that was taking a walk in the snow), this could be the Shiki that woke up on her own accord during the events of chapter 5. To this point we’d been lead on to think of the body as a necessary vessel, and it comes to pass that the body has its own sentience. She reveals that "Shiki"'s murderous intent comes from HER, and seems to imply that she swims around in the Acasic Record as she pleases. But her body shouldn't be anything special, hmm? Because all the Ryougi family does is make it so multiple souls can inhabit the body, etc. Now go through the book again. A lot of little subtleties start to make sense…

this helped...with nearly all the questions i had. thank you.
---
anyway, what did you expect? explosions? murder scenes? you've had this for 8 whole episodes and when a little cooling of happens, you start the bashing?

honestly.

anyway, this explained at lot, really interesting. 8/10
Nov 28, 2015 10:14 AM
Nov 2009
I watched the Epilogue after completing the other movies in the same day.

It was arguably the best part of the entire franchise. I loved the art, the animation, and the theme. I was pleased to learn more about the origin of Shiki and SHIKI, so I watched this Special with a lot of ardour.

It didn't disappoint me at all. I liked how the idea of "personalities" was explored in this episode.

What especially impressed me was what Shiki said to Kokutou - the fact that he is special because he isn't trying to be special, unlike everyone else.

5/5, or 8/10 in my list.
Mar 19, 2016 5:49 PM

Nov 2015
I was impressed with all this personality stuff. I thought that after the main 7 movies there was nothing else to surprise me but then comes this special.

You may say this special is slow, of that doesn't have action, well, that last one is not intended for this special, but the goal is to close everything, with the origin on Shiki, that one we saw in the first movie.

I won't lie, I could barely understand all the deepness (?) of Shiki's monologue (that needs a re-watch jaja).

I'm troubled in how rate this special. I don't feel it to be more than 7, but 6 looks "fine", which it is. But, since all the previous movies made me give it higher rates, I'll give this a 7.

PD: Fuck Mikiya! You soulless SOB! You were all the movie staring at her silent, not blinking.... you creep xD say something!!
Jun 22, 2016 12:10 AM

May 2010
Sol_Ou said:
Best knk movie.

Definitely my favorite one 9.5/10. Love the philosophies conveyed and how it connects with themes from the series and real life in general. This movie obviously isn't for everybody tho, only some will fully grasp it and resonate with it.
Jul 9, 2016 12:08 PM

Feb 2016
The scenery where this starts is simply beautiful. It's intriguing how koukoto and this version of shiki talk about the phisophy of multiple personalities. The whole explanation about the person 'shiki' fills the last gaps that were still around after watching the prequels.
Overall rating 8/10.

The different scenes blended very well together with the main topic that's been discussed here.

Aug 19, 2016 1:35 AM
Jan 2014
It's been almost a year since I watched this and I'm still blown away by how awful it is.

The fact that the studio even created this and then thought "yep. this is good. let's release it." borders on offensive to me.

I'm not sure that I'll ever see an another anime as bad as this that doesn't fall into the 'so bad it's good' category like Mars of Destruction.
Aug 22, 2016 3:59 PM

Sep 2011
ItsXolo said:
The fact that the studio even created this and then thought "yep. this is good. let's release it." borders on offensive to me.

It's an OVA epilogue (meaning it was only on the BD-DVD collection), to a long-running series of films. They literally just animated the intended epilogue straight from the original novel so I don't see how that's somehow "offensive" when they're just being thorough.
Sep 12, 2016 11:14 PM

Jun 2016
It feels strange to acknowledge the fact that I found this straight-on monologue (with the occasional comment from Kokutou) one of the better and more memorable parts of the series. While there wasn't much movement, it was visually *astounding*. The dialogue was a tad long-winded and repetitive. I think this might be something Nasu does, but I'm loathe to read his other works to verify this. There was a LOT of this in the Fate VN. Conciseness isn't in his dictionary. Maybe this style of writing comes across better in Japanese, and there is a lot lost in translation. That would be a shame.

Nevertheless, there was a lot of light shed on Shiki's inner workings, which is essentially the lynch-pin of the entire series - everything is built around that, including the main themes - the nature of the 'soul' and the Origin of everything. I feel a little cheated that I got to know about this right the end, because it gives some much needed context to Shiki's behaviour and other characters as well. I suppose this is why this series is said to have a high re-watch value, among other things.
Sep 24, 2016 2:49 PM

Sep 2014
It heavily reminds me of the NGE final episodes. If this is a good thing is up to you..

Im glad I had the spare time, If not, it would feel wasted. Because what is this actually?
Somehwere after watching one of the movies somebody told me "In the epilogue shiki explains something about her". Yeah she certainly did. But this movie gave me nothing at all. Could erase this of my mind and nothing would change.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 8, 2017 10:07 AM
Jan 2010
It's really sad how most of you watched this whole thing for the "epic fights Xd" and "GORE :OOO" and completely fail to grasp not only the purpose of this last part but the entire series.
Better stick to hollywood flicks and action movies, this is clearly beyond you.
StardustReverieAug 8, 2017 10:17 AM
Aug 18, 2017 6:20 AM

May 2015
Meh, another blah, blah "I'm so spiecial". + for visuals.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 9, 2017 5:59 AM

Jul 2008
Oh great now there's a third one.
Feb 10, 2018 3:09 PM

Aug 2013
Pathetic level of argumentation is totally ruined try hard special mood. Useless episode for average at best anime which doesn't deserve such art and music.
Apr 12, 2018 2:02 AM

Nov 2009
Lawgun said:
Pathetic level of argumentation is totally ruined try hard special mood. Useless episode for average at best anime which doesn't deserve such art and music.

It doesn't, then again it's not like the art or animation is anything special in the first place, just a bunch of flashy lighting and effects that try to mask the little movement and personality there is in the actual animation. The studio really is just a one trick pony.

Hell, I bet the majority of viewers probably wouldn't have bothered with this crap as well as stuff like Fate/Zero if it weren't for the flashy looking fights and oversaturated colors that only look slightly impressive at first glance. At the end of the day, it's still your shitty Type Moon story.
Apr 24, 2018 11:52 PM

Sep 2010
Makes me wonder if the novel wrapped up the plot better. Nice visuals. Also most calm absolutism yangire looking at just the content here /s. This gets 7/10 from me I guess.
May 23, 2018 7:10 AM

Dec 2015
I think i needed to rewatch this , didnt really understand what they’re saying because they go the roundabout way to explain things
I do get the main point , i just dont get the analogies i think
Dec 12, 2018 6:25 PM

Feb 2018
30 minutes just for talking xD.BTW new hair style Mikiya is cool?
Sep 17, 2019 4:51 AM
Apr 2019
I want to know when to watch this episode? completing 1-7 first then watch it?
Sep 17, 2019 6:27 AM

Oct 2014
NakolHira said:

yes, this is meant to be watched last
Sep 17, 2019 6:50 AM
Apr 2019
Shayon said:
NakolHira said:

then what about the remix and the sidestory (mirai fukuin and extra chorus)??
Sep 17, 2019 7:03 AM

Oct 2014
NakolHira said:
Shayon said:

then what about the remix and the sidestory (mirai fukuin and extra chorus)??

Movies 1-6 -> Remix (optional) -> Movie 7 -> this epilogue -> Mirai Fukuin -> Mirai Fukuin - Extra Chorus

Remix is a recap of the first 6 movies in chronological order.

you can figure this order out by looking at the release dates.
Sep 24, 2019 8:42 AM

Aug 2018
This is just average at best. This epilogue gave us why Shiki had two personalities and such but really though her explanation could've been shrink for like 5-7 minutes but instead it goes wayyy too long and repetition of dialouge as expected from Type-Moon's founder. Long repeated complex dialogue =/= incredibly deep

5/10 is acceptable for this epilogue, I give it a pass because the visuals and Shiki made some cute expression here :3
Dec 23, 2019 12:07 PM

Sep 2019
haha wtf was that? LMAO half an hour of talking, a total waste of budget, they could have shrunk the dialogue to 5 minutes, I would give it no more than 6/10 & that is being super generous, in most cases something like this would deserve no more than 2/10 but since I liked the series in general I didn't rate it low.
Jan 12, 2020 4:58 AM

Apr 2013
Well... that was a big ball of nothingness.
May 11, 2020 8:08 PM

Dec 2009
Without reading the novels which I don't know if they cover an explanation to Shiki's behavior, as this feels like the fulfilling explanation in the why she has her odd behavior throughout the story, I can't believe I still don't comprehend her.

Again, I'm left with new questions, while the answers were very difficult to understand with the common lack of context. 4/10.
Sep 10, 2020 10:20 AM

Sep 2017
So Kokutou gets to discuss with Origin of shiki's personality and shit.

And gets his leg healed.

"Void Shiki" says that even if it is a planet, she can kill it.
As if we needed more OP statements from the heroine.

LN reading once again.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 24, 2020 11:12 AM

May 2020
The original Shiki had been spoken. In the end the second Shiki who won. Who know Mikiya more. Touchful story and nice epilogue. 7/10
Oct 11, 2020 12:54 AM

Jan 2010
「Shiki」is as beautiful as always. There's just something about her character design that makes her my favorite visually designed character in Type-MOON, as well as one of my most favorite in anime as a whole. The design itself is relatively simple, but she's just so damn beautiful.

Anyways, this epilogue is Nasu philosophical rambling at its finest, but it also gives an explanation on the nature of Shiki. I've been aware of what Shiki, SHIKI, and 「Shiki」are, but it's nice to hear the explanation herself. The visuals almost reminded me of the Monogatari series, with the shifting camera attempting to provide visual interest amidst the long monologues. I'm not quite sure what I expected from this epilogue, but it was quaint and pleasant, and I'm fine with that.
Oct 20, 2020 8:27 AM

Oct 2019
Epilogue be like: "You're not Shiki that I know aren't you?" | "Nope"

The rest is 30 minutes of yadayada for anyone that really attached to the show to enjoy.
andrearionaOct 23, 2020 2:19 AM
Jan 8, 2022 12:00 AM

May 2020
This wasn't either of those Shiki's that Mikiya met, and her explaining each and every aspect of Shiki's personality, too much thoroughly indeed. So well if anyone was still having any confusions with this even after first seven movies then this one may help.
Feb 7, 2022 5:33 PM

Feb 2017
wow would you look at that, it's the embodiment of what i hate the most: characters standing in the same place talking for 25 minutes straight while i sit there failing to understand the pretentious-sounding, never-ending conversation that feels like its going nowhere.

there's nothing to like about this. i thought it was another actual movie but it was just some lame special that i would have been better off not watching. literally like i can't even find 1 thing to like about this.

placeholder text
Feb 11, 2022 5:55 AM

May 2020
I should've just read the book. Would've saved a lot of time.
Feb 17, 2022 6:07 AM
May 2021
This part is full of dialogue so most of the people find it boring but I think it gives nice explanation for the first 7 parts.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Question about Garden of Sinners movie 8

MarkVijet - Jan 27, 2022

3 by MarkVijet »»
Jun 25, 2022 1:33 AM

» What is this?

Veethorn - Jun 23, 2010

9 by Flamestriker101 »»
Sep 26, 2020 2:57 AM

» Can't find a soundtrack :(

Deago - Aug 22, 2015

3 by TomDay »»
Nov 11, 2015 7:23 PM

» It's counting down. What is it?

zimno - Aug 26, 2010

1 by zimno »»
Aug 26, 2010 8:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.