Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 1, 2011 9:19 PM
Apr 2010
Hrr-drr-drp
goldslaughtFeb 2, 2011 11:18 PM
Feb 2, 2011 2:32 AM

Nov 2007
This Shiki he met in this episodes are neither male nor female Shiki.

This OVA mostly talks about the personalities and originality of current Shiki. It's very interesting for me.

I kind of loled before Shiki's leave, she said, "stupid Kokutou, you can still meet me tomorrow"

And the ED vocals were awesome. I cannot wait to hear the covered ver. in Kalafina's Magia single (included as coupling song, snow falling). "snow is falling" according to Kara no Kyoukai Ongakushuu.
tsubasaloverMar 13, 2011 6:59 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 2, 2011 2:34 AM

Jul 2009
I'm a fan of KnK series and yet the Epilogue disappointed me in many ways.
It's 33 minutes of long, boring talk between Kokutou and Shiki. Most of the time there was no real animation (motionless sprites on background that was endless snow) and the dialogues were DEEEEEP. I can't give it more than 3/10. (edit: okay, after some thought I decided to give it 5)

This is not what I have waited for for more than a year. And the "Blu-ray" movies are mostly DVD upscales. Ufotable, I am disappoint.
friFeb 2, 2011 3:36 AM
Feb 2, 2011 2:40 AM

Feb 2009
fri said:

It's 33 minutes of long, boring talk between Kokutou and Shiki.

Uhm, doesn't the synopsis say so?
MAL synopsis said:
The epilogue titled "Kara no Kyoukai" is about a conversation between Mikiya and 「 」.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Feb 2, 2011 2:49 AM

Jul 2009
Urufuzu_rein said:
fri said:

MAL synopsis said:
The epilogue titled "Kara no Kyoukai" is about a conversation between Mikiya and 「 」.

Yes, I'm aware of that. :) But still, it could be a little more... I don't know... faster? fascinating? lively?

Don't tell me I'm going to be hated for having my own opinion again.
Feb 2, 2011 3:01 AM

May 2009
^Nah, you're not going to be hated for it, but you're just stupid because you expected more than you should. That is exactly what Nasu wrote. That's what the epilogue is about. To be quite honest, everyone that finished the 7th movie should be aware that the story is done and that everything beyond is just plus.
Feb 2, 2011 3:02 AM

Feb 2009
fri said:
Urufuzu_rein said:
fri said:

MAL synopsis said:

Yes, I'm aware of that. :) But still, it could be a little more... I don't know... faster? fascinating? lively?

Of course not. Sorry if I came off as rude.
I haven't watched the epilogue yet and your comment struck me as being a little odd.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Feb 2, 2011 3:27 AM

May 2010
fri said:
Everyone's lying, they totally hate you.

Anyway, it was exactly as expected and I enjoyed listening to it.
Feb 2, 2011 4:26 AM

Feb 2009
Found myself just listening to the voice of Shiki's VA than paying attention to the conversation itself.
Feb 2, 2011 6:21 AM

Mar 2010
Long and boring? LoL... I almost stopped at each and every sentence, trying to fully comprehend its meaning and place it on the imaginary timeline in my head, and I fully enjoyed it. Even though I'm a huge fan of the series and the novel, I had no expectation concerning this epilogue, because I knew "if it's KnK, it'll be awesome", so I just simply watched and gave obviously 10.
Feb 2, 2011 9:04 AM

Oct 2009
Half an hour of pointless, nonsensical, metaphysical bullshit talk between 3D characters. And pretty snow. Nasu, I am disappoint. 4/10.
Feb 2, 2011 1:36 PM

Apr 2009
It was ok. Nothing else can be said about it, it wasn't good, but it wasn't bad either. I'll watch it once again to fully comprehend it... but the ova is not really important.
The important thing is that "KnK in HD" was just a troll, since those "hd movies" are nothing else but upscales, and on top of that... they are of a rather poor quality. Blurry and indistinct, it looks about the same as a 400x400 picture resized to 2000x2000 whose edges were sharpened. I haven't seen such a troll since E8...

Feb 2, 2011 9:13 PM

Sep 2008
Let me spoil this OVA for you:

"Bodies have personalities, I'm my body's personality, Shiki and SHIKI were created because I'm lazy"

"Hey, let me give you a cop out so that Shiki doesn't look evil!. Actually, Shiki doesn't like to kill, I do"

"Kokutou, you are MEDIOCRE"

"Actually every human is zpezial"

It didn't contribute retroactively anything of importance to the storyline, nor did it give good closure, like proper epilogues tend to do. It was just a shallow reflection on the characters and some minor talk on events, as if Nasu wanted to hamfist you with what he wanted to tell with them. Also doing more Nasuverse powerlevelz bullshit. Way to add insult to injury, Nasu.

I can sort of see this working written (although it's still hamfisted as fuck), but in the visual medium it was just a rape to the rule of "Show, don't tell".
EmmanuelVRFeb 2, 2011 9:19 PM
Feb 2, 2011 9:15 PM

Oct 2008
Already knew what to expect. Though I kinda wanted a different scenery, like maybe a flashback or two showing when she appeared in the past movies.

Anyways, this proves that this Shiki is the most powerful being in all of everything.

She's like a Haruhi that discovered her powers. No, probably even more powerful. Good luck beating that.
Feb 2, 2011 10:16 PM

Feb 2009
fri said:

This is not what I have waited for for more than a year. And the "Blu-ray" movies are mostly DVD upscales. Ufotable, I am disappoint.

Bullshit. Did you even see it?

I'l make it easy for you
this is dvd upscale - http://twitvideo.jp/contents/img/04fNv
and this is what we got - http://twitvideo.jp/contents/img/04fNs

Moreover, the epilogue look amazing.
http://salmon.gundam.eu/knk/knk-epilogue004771.png
http://salmon.gundam.eu/knk/knk-epilogue014313.png
Feb 2, 2011 10:18 PM

Jun 2008
Can someone explain to me why she just disappeared at the end? Was she not physically there, just her consciousness? So was her physical body and the other "Shiki" just sleeping somewhere?
Feb 3, 2011 12:19 PM

Jun 2009
i found it quite interesting and a good way to wrap up an great series.
Feb 3, 2011 3:33 PM

Oct 2010
FullArmageddon said:
Can someone explain to me why she just disappeared at the end? Was she not physically there, just her consciousness? So was her physical body and the other "Shiki" just sleeping somewhere?

She was kinda omnipotent and apparently could do anything she felt like to.
- She really doesn't want to exist anymore as for where she is there is nothing, and she can only look into the real world through Shiki's eyes.
- She is not suppose to exist and she is aware of it.
At the end i think she actually jumps but she knows nothing will happen and they will still see each other tomorrow.
then again... I can be wrong

I was hoping for more KnK awesomeness, maybe more story. Never the less, this was an awesome way to explain the origin of Shiki and SHIKI.
huh?
Feb 4, 2011 11:55 AM
Feb 2009
Just to be clear

she fixed his limp at the end right
Feb 4, 2011 12:16 PM

Jan 2010
Goddamn Nasuverse
Ok™
Feb 4, 2011 12:30 PM

Oct 2010
VGJunky said:
Just to be clear

thanks i didn't notice that O.o
The only reason he didn't want to get his eye fixed was to not make Shiki suspicious right?
huh?
Feb 4, 2011 12:56 PM

Jul 2009
choyos said:
The only reason he didn't want to get his eye fixed was to not make Shiki suspicious right?

He said he's too afraid of her messing something up while healing him, as he's used to Shiki destroying things instead of rebuilding. He said it in a humorous tone, so I'm not sure whether that was a joke or not. But I like your version more.

I liked this movie more after rewatching it (I had to do so while and after translating the script). It felt shorter and less boring this time, somehow. Solid 6/10.
Feb 4, 2011 9:27 PM
Jan 2010
fri said:
choyos said:

He said he's too afraid of her messing something up while healing him, as he's used to Shiki destroying things instead of rebuilding. He said it in a humorous tone, so I'm not sure whether that was a joke or not. But I like your version more.

I liked this movie more after rewatching it (I had to do so while and after translating the script). It felt shorter and less boring this time, somehow. Solid 6/10.
He said it as a joke. Mikiya is completely fine with the way he is.

By the way, the epilogue deals with the major themes of KnK (eg. What is the body and soul, etc.). The reason why most people don't "get it" is because some parts of the story were badly represented in the movies.

I guess people would've prefered Mirai Fukuin, eh? I personally wouldn't mind.

Here, have a summary from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about:
Anyways, as you’re probably aware, KnK as a whole has an underlying tale about the relationship between mind, body, and soul.

From a chapter chronology perspective, this is how the work jerks you around:
1) Bodies and mind/soul can be split (Fujou bloodline) and relation between the body and mind (rooftop speech) is explored by Touko.
2) The nature of Shiki (pre-accident) is revealed: she appears to be dual-personality and has a crushing desire to kill. Again, the disconnect between mind/soul and body is emphasized as two mind/souls reside in one body and she talks about how the Shikis feel like polar opposites.
3) Via Fujino the purpose of the body is explored quite heavily. If you remember Touko’s line, “not having a body means not having anything; without it, you never feel pain, and without feeling pain, you never feel elation; and without feeling elation, you never feel the pleasure of accomplishment.” Also interesting is that in the book this chapter explores the difference between magus and superpowers. Superpowers are described as channels, and I can expound on this later if you want because I LOVE this explanation.
4) Four symbolizes a huge “revelation” of sorts as you realize that Shiki was never dual personality. But via the reference “to the hole inside her” you’re left with an unanswered question of what’s going on. The relationship between mind, body and soul is really central to this chapter as Shiki picks up on the speech mannerisms of the deceased Shiki while several forces fight over her body.
5) Via Araya Souren there’s huge emphasis on the soul; this chapter does a LOT. Touko reveals that she’d already created complete clones of herself (body and mind/soul) that always resulted in the same thing; via the Kigen the soul and ancestry/evolution/generations of souls are explained, and then there’s that very, very subtle hint. That oh so very subtle hint when Shiki “wakes up” out of being comatose. Araya believes this is the Ryougi thing about self-hypnosis. There’s an obvious implication of the body simply being a vessel; Shiki’s murderous intent is born from her Kigen of the null, and there’s a lot of hypothesizing about the relation between her null Kigen and the Acasic Record.
6) And then there is Kurogiri Satsuki. Aside from his interesting position in between all parties, he’s actually the symbol for the mind. Satsuki in the novel is actually a guy who lost his past because “of the mischief of fairies;” he’s not actually a magus (as he was described in the movie) because he has little to no magical powers, he’s more an ESPer (ala the ch 3) who happens to be able to speak to and understand everything; as a result of his loss of memory due to the fairies he actually trained really hard under the supervision of the magus church to try to retrieve memories. In fact, via his Goddot Word superpower he’s possibly the only character in the Nasuverse who has direct access to the Acasic Record and doesn’t give a fuck. However, he realized that his memories are absolutely lost because they’re not in the Acasic Records – this is puzzling, but yeah. For reasons not fully explained, he takes off from the supervision (aka captive life) under the Church and becomes hunted, because he’s a wanted man for his direct connection to the Acasic Record. Araya manipulates a very willing to comply Satsuki toward Ryougi, in order to awaken her memories. As a result of Satsuki’s apathetic (and even sadistic) compliance, as a result of this chapter all the memories and thoughts of the deceased Shiki return to her, making her “whole” again, but exacerbating the pain of having lost part of her. This obviously displays the difference between mind and soul, and makes you realize MPD = multiple minds, Ryougi = multiple souls, and the mind is distinctly separate from the soul as Satsuki extracted the remaining mind and reconnected it in her.
7) This is why we said 7 was lame by comparison. This was just a tying of loose ends of the story of Ryougi Shiki. Nothing was revealed here that we didn’t know already. But that leaves…
8) The Epilogue. Mind-blowing. One night, Ryougi Shiki wakes up. This is neither of the Shiki we have come to know, but rather the original; this is the Shiki Kokutou fell in love with (the Shiki that was taking a walk in the snow), this could be the Shiki that woke up on her own accord during the events of chapter 5. To this point we’d been lead on to think of the body as a necessary vessel, and it comes to pass that the body has its own sentience. She reveals that "Shiki"'s murderous intent comes from HER, and seems to imply that she swims around in the Acasic Record as she pleases. But her body shouldn't be anything special, hmm? Because all the Ryougi family does is make it so multiple souls can inhabit the body, etc. Now go through the book again. A lot of little subtleties start to make sense…
lasercannonFeb 4, 2011 9:35 PM
Feb 4, 2011 10:24 PM

Jan 2010
Now watching it in HD and enjoying it on my TV.

I have to say, I enjoyed it and I liked how they went all the way into the Nasuverse with the dealings of "self". I liked the how tied everything up with Shiki's issues and the art/animation was stellar in this OVA.

I'm not gonna lie, I would have rather seen Mirai Fukuin instead of this..but this is fine as well. A proper explanation to the dealings of the Nasuverse is always welcome since everyone knows it's a mess.

Now that Kara no Kyoukai is officially done...let's just hope ufotable can do a similar level of quality when they do Fate/Zero later this year.
Ok™
Feb 5, 2011 8:54 AM

Oct 2009
OH. MY. GOD. I'm flabbergasted. That was beautiful.

Oh, the snowflakes.
Feb 5, 2011 10:07 AM

Jan 2009
VGJunky said:

I don't think so, seemed to me he was still dragging it in the last scene.

I'm more curious about why is Kokutou going back the way he came from?
Feb 5, 2011 11:42 AM

Jul 2009
I have to admit, this was by far one of the more interesting conversation in anime history but I am at the point where I find it's hard to understand such content. Maybe it has to do with me watching the movies months and months ago, but even so, I can't really comprehend what just happened.

The whole snow, peaceful setting doesn't help me stay alert as well, in fact, it probably does the opposite by making me drift into sleep.
Feb 5, 2011 2:03 PM

Sep 2009
Well, I was hoping for a little more closure to the storyline after hearing about this epilogue, but I ended up not getting it...for the most part. What the OVA did do was give me more insight into Shiki as a person/being/thing/derp. If only it had presented it in a way that was a little less of a drag to watch.
Feb 5, 2011 2:10 PM

Jul 2007
-OJ- said:
VGJunky said:

I don't think so, it seemed to me he was still dragging it in the final scene.

Because he cant jump off the cliff with his injured leg. :-)
Feb 5, 2011 2:29 PM
Feb 2009
-OJ- said:
VGJunky said:

I don't think so, it seemed to me he was still dragging it in the final scene.

IMO he picked up his left leg when he turned around to walk away (assuming he's walking home or something yo)
Feb 5, 2011 3:54 PM

Mar 2010
Kurogashi said:
...this was by far one of the more interesting conversation in anime history...

Yeah, I agree with you. Even though I've already rewatched the series twice, and the epilogue once, sometimes even I can be surprised at some twists and sentences. I don't understand those people who find this epilogue "boring and long". It's 30 minutes pure psychology, which has a deep meaning directed towards the audience. Meaning, that the 7 episodes weren't able to fully convey towards you. If you guys are not interested (because everyone is different), and maybe you don't really care about the whole KnK, that's totally understandable, because I said: Everyone is different. Ones like ecchi, ones like mecha, ones like everything, and there are some of those, who're addicted to this. I haven't seen so much anime so far, but from those I've watched, this one is just sooo outstanding... It's not the type of anime for me, that goes by fast by the passage of time. Its meaning touched me deeply, so deeply, that it changed my whole life. It's simply a masterpiece, and with these beautiful OSTs from Kajiura Yuki... I can't even describe its epicness.
Feb 5, 2011 4:00 PM

Jan 2009
Grummel said:

Brilliant reasoning :P

I meant he was obviously going somewhere On The Sidewalk when he saw Shiki#3, so why didn't he continue on in that direction but turn back instead ?

It might have a significance or might not :D
Feb 5, 2011 5:41 PM

Apr 2009
I had to watch this twice as I somehow managed to stop taking in what was being said about half way through. I think this could have benefited if they changed it up a bit, 30 minites of someone talking non stop, with no change of pace is pretty hard, even if it's interesting.Reading what lasercannon posted really helped my understanding. I gave it a 6/10 which was hard for me as this is part of Kara no Kyoukai, which I found amazing. I just found it hard to stay alert for 30 Minutes of non stop talking.

Edit: Now that Mirai Fukuin has been released, I plan to rewatch this soon, since it's been a few years. Hopefully I'll be able to appreciate it more. We'll see I guess haha
RydakoMar 30, 2014 5:22 AM
Feb 5, 2011 6:11 PM

Jan 2010
Hello Kokuto, it's been a while,
Let's converse for the next 30 minutes where I frequently must repeat myself with only slightly more detail each sentence I speak, dragging out what quite possibly could of lasted 10 minutes, shall we?
Feb 5, 2011 6:21 PM

Apr 2009
tl;dr Relationships with women who have multiple personality disorder are difficult.

Weren't they supposed to have a kid or something?
Feb 5, 2011 10:25 PM

May 2010
I guess some people just don't get it. It's not really an OVA, it's an epilogue to the movies. An epilogue usually only contains information, but nothing new. It's not a continuation of the movies or anything.
In my opinion it was great. It's supposed to be an epilogue and it succeeded. It explained Shiki's personalities and it ended the whole story.
It serves its purpose just fine.
Feb 5, 2011 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
Daisuken said:
Kurogashi said:

Yeah, I agree with you. Even though I've already rewatched the series twice, and the epilogue once, sometimes even I can be surprised at some twists and sentences. I don't understand those people who find this epilogue "boring and long". It's 30 minutes pure psychology, which has a deep meaning directed towards the audience. Meaning, that the 7 episodes weren't able to fully convey towards you. If you guys are not interested (because everyone is different), and maybe you don't really care about the whole KnK, that's totally understandable, because I said: Everyone is different. Ones like ecchi, ones like mecha, ones like everything, and there are some of those, who're addicted to this. I haven't seen so much anime so far, but from those I've watched, this one is just sooo outstanding... It's not the type of anime for me, that goes by fast by the passage of time. Its meaning touched me deeply, so deeply, that it changed my whole life. It's simply a masterpiece, and with these beautiful OSTs from Kajiura Yuki... I can't even describe its epicness.

Just because some of us weren't too keen on this epilogue doesn't mean we aren't big fans of the series.

For me, this epilogue was needlessly stretched out. I don't think the dialogue was deep or complex, half of it was just a reiteration -with bigger words- of what they'd said only minutes before.
Feb 5, 2011 10:53 PM
Feb 2009
-OJ- said:
Grummel said:

Brilliant reasoning :P

I meant he was obviously going somewhere On The Sidewalk when he saw Shiki#3, so why didn't he continue on in that direction but turn back instead ?

It might have a significance or might not :D

IMO he was going directly to that point where he had met her in the past

He came to talk to her
Feb 6, 2011 12:40 AM

Feb 2008
The music and art was really nice, but my mind started wandering off after a while. This could have benefited from being half the length.

6/10
Feb 6, 2011 1:37 AM

Aug 2008
I don't know what to say. The "answer" (but should I really call it an answer? I never asked a question in the first place) is intresting but not in the way Nasu tells it to us. The problem is simple: for more than thirty minutes of dialogue, those two aren't really speaking of anything. Really, the whole dialogue was obvious and basically complete in the first FIVE minutes. But, as we all know, Nasu is a master in writing things, very simple and cristal clear things, in such a way that they appear incredibly deep and meaningful just because you have to freeze every sentence to follow exactly what they are saying. As someone wrote before me, Shiki's just repeating the same thing over and over and over, every time adding some simple bit of information. This is not how you write good dialogue, it's just a technique to waste paper and the viewer's time.

Speaking of what she spoke of. Did we really need this bit of exposition? The personality subplot, inplanted into a soul with "nothingless" as origin is convoluted, vague and basically unintresting because, from an anime only watcher pov, the entire serie was the story of this cute girl with an intrested personality that had to deal with all the bathshit insane stuff and people that fill the Nasuverse. But not, seems like it's not like this. It is "a complex analysis of the human psyche" according to what someone wrote and suddently KnK is so incredibly deep and only the real fans can understand it. Oh god. Suddently the flame about Shirou's supposed hypocrisy in heaven's feel seems so meaningful.
Feb 6, 2011 2:34 AM

Jan 2008
SurferDude said:
Half an hour of pointless, nonsensical, metaphysical bullshit talk between 3D characters. And pretty snow. Nasu, I am disappoint. 4/10.

got to agree with this, I didn't expect a lot from it but come now, besides some elements of the woh she came to be it was all bullshit, human excists of three things, mind body and soul. Lol.

Daisuken said:
Kurogashi said:

Actually I like the show, the action, the animation, the sub plot, but the sub sub sub plot of mind body and soul is just retarded and stupid.
TheUniqueReaperFeb 6, 2011 2:42 AM
Feb 6, 2011 3:45 AM
Dec 2007
I have one word for this one : soporific.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 6, 2011 4:15 AM

Oct 2009
Jacut said:
I have one word for this one : soporific.

This is very true! It's up to individual to decided whether or not that is good, but I certainly like sleep-inducing film. It's very rare, isn't it?
Feb 6, 2011 8:24 AM

Jun 2010
The dialogue was interesting, but I found most of the part boring.
Feb 6, 2011 9:57 PM

Nov 2008
Well, that was quite inspiring. We all have a part in life, don't we?

Feb 7, 2011 12:04 AM

Apr 2008
Someones Philosophy Essay Got Into My KnK
Feb 7, 2011 6:47 AM

Jul 2010
As much as I enjoyed it, I found myself punching my cat in the face when the first 10 minute of conversation was summed up in 3 sentances.
Feb 7, 2011 10:38 AM

Feb 2009
Byou said:
I could listen to Maaya's voice all day long.

Seconded. I love her voice.
This was pretty much what I expected from the epilogue. It sums things up nicely but it does drag a bit. Oh well, that's Nasu for you. It was damn pretty, though.
Feb 7, 2011 10:54 AM

Jan 2011
Pretty snow. :D
I liked it, it felt like a lecture.
Feb 7, 2011 1:34 PM

Nov 2008
Damn, Shiki was so moe in this episode....
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Question about Garden of Sinners movie 8

MarkVijet - Jan 27, 2022

3 by MarkVijet »»
Jun 25, 2022 1:33 AM

» What is this?

Veethorn - Jun 23, 2010

9 by Flamestriker101 »»
Sep 26, 2020 2:57 AM

» Can't find a soundtrack :(

Deago - Aug 22, 2015

3 by TomDay »»
Nov 11, 2015 7:23 PM

» It's counting down. What is it?

zimno - Aug 26, 2010

1 by zimno »»
Aug 26, 2010 8:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.