MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Anime DVD & Blu-ray Market in Japan Grows 20% Year-on-year
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Anime DVD & Blu-ray Market in Japan Grows 20% Year-on-year

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
01-20-11, 4:37 PM

Oricon released the annual market report of the DVD and Blu-ray media in 2010. The total sales of anime DVD & Blu-ray in 2010 rose 20% from a year earlier.

Chart1: Anime DVD & Blu-ray Sales in Japan from 2008 - 2010

Chart 2: Breakdown chart of Blu-ray sales in Japan

Chart 3: Breakdown chart of DVD sales in Japan

The whole media sales in 2010 was 107.1 % compared to the previous year. The growth is attributed to the two-fold increase in the anime Blu-ray sales, which makes up 62.7% of the whole Blu-ray market.

Source: Oricon
Related topic: Severe Estimation of US Anime Market in 2010
Modified by dtshyk, 01-20-11, 8:12 PM

01-20-11, 4:43 PM

And yet they keep bitching about the state of the industry today
HEY GUYS BE NICE AND VISIT MY BLOG WILL YA? :D
Latest Update:
Spring 2011 Impressions (part1)
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)

01-20-11, 4:54 PM

And then the mighty Ishihara saw the growing demon that was the anime industry and took it upon himself to destroy it in shining glory
/sarcasm

I loled that anime is like 66% of all blu-ray sales XD

01-20-11, 5:21 PM

See? So what's all this BS about *illegal uploaders are causing the downfall of the anime industry*

01-20-11, 5:38 PM

mikhailn said:
See? Sp what's all this BS about *illegal uploaders are causing the downfall of the anime industry*

I couldn't have said it better, my friend.

01-20-11, 5:48 PM

B-chan911 said:
mikhailn said:
See? Sp what's all this BS about *illegal uploaders are causing the downfall of the anime industry*

I couldn't have said it better, my friend.

F#$k! mikhalin beat me to it haha!

01-20-11, 6:03 PM

These news can't possibly be true, everyone knows that anime is dying, moe is killing the industry, and everything was better in the past.

01-20-11, 6:45 PM

TreF said:
These news can't possibly be true, everyone knows that anime is dying, moe is killing the industry, and everything was better in the past.

I got to QFT the part about everything being better in the past. Back then a certain scarfaced doctor could perform surgeries without a license and win awards. Today an underaged girl buys hentai siscon games in the first episode and Japan is up in arms. What you going to do? Throw Black Jack and Kirino in jail?

But I'm not too surprised at the news. Recently the anime has a lot of emphasis on songs. Just think of K-On and Angel Beats. The natural reaction is to get the Blu-Ray version of your favourite anime, simply because Fuwa Fuwa Time doesn't sound the same on DVD, CD or illegal download.

Plus I believe nowadays they bundle an extra *special episode* with the DVD or Blu-Ray so collectors would definitely go for it

01-20-11, 7:13 PM

lol blu-ray! but hey this is good, if its making real money then the industry ought to at least put some effort into trying to make decent shows

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫

01-20-11, 7:27 PM

Can't stop laughing at the amount of foreign music that's actually on the pie chart. It's barely visible.

Companies blaming piracy for bad sales isn't a very good excuse, however, it's not a good excuse to pirates to say that piracy isn't affecting sales.

This chart does suggest a significant rise in anime however, what this doesn't take into account is the anime that actually didn't sell well. People assume that high sales in total equals overall state of the industry. It doesn't.

01-20-11, 8:13 PM

mikhailn said:
See? So what's all this BS about *illegal uploaders are causing the downfall of the anime industry*

This.
Severe Estimation of US Anime Market in 2010
Chart: Anime DVD & Blu-ray Market in US (2005 - 2010)

01-20-11, 9:06 PM

game8910 said:
And yet they keep bitching about the state of the industry today

Mostly because cost of production of these shows continues to go up much faster than the increased revenue from BluRay sales.

01-20-11, 9:39 PM

I still think it's sad when you have anime out selling Hollywood and Domestic Japanese Films...

Don't get me wrong, it's good news, but this just shows the Hardcore devotion that Otaku have for their beloved animu.

Not to mention that anime is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED in Japan.

I would NEVER spend $70 for two BD episodes of K-ON!!

Hell, I wouldn't spend $20 even if you told me Mio was going to be naked in one of the episodes...
Momo>Sports>Breaking Bad>Anime

1997 2001 2003 2006 2012 2013

01-20-11, 9:43 PM

I think you are only interpreting this. the real thing, as I know since my trip to japan few months ago for one month long, I could see the orinal news in here is not that far. It´s 100 % possible, I´m not saying that those are the exactly number or percents, but kind of like it.

Maybe in US is decreasing because of the piracy increasing in that country, as everyday are thinking more new forms to hack soemthing than buying it as it is supposed to.

But in my opinion is real. today there are more anime tv-shows that anything else, new living styles plos are being included, new and better music, without including the execive tecnhology they put into each.

01-20-11, 10:12 PM

Want more sales, make decent anime, every season there are like 3-4 animes worth watching.
While other ones have panties and tits all over your screen.

01-20-11, 11:27 PM

alexcampos said:
I still think it's sad when you have anime out selling Hollywood and Domestic Japanese Films...

Don't get me wrong, it's good news, but this just shows the Hardcore devotion that Otaku have for their beloved animu.

Not to mention that anime is RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED in Japan.

I would NEVER spend $70 for two BD episodes of K-ON!!

Hell, I wouldn't spend $20 even if you told me Mio was going to be naked in one of the episodes...
Exactly, it's the collector's devotion that drives people to buy anime in nice looking cases, even when it's expensive as fuck. I for one can't see why anyone would want to buy more than one or two DVDs/Blu-Rays of movies per year; if I would ever want to re-watch a movie, it'd would be either something like Avatar or an older classic (which I most likely already have in my collection). TV shows...who the hell would wanna re-watch that? Anime on the other hand, especially stuff like K-ON!, is basically pure antidepressant, something I could watch more than once as a way to unwind and I wouldn't care if it was predictable even the first time round. So yeah, I'm not surprised that in Japan #otakus>#movie buffs.

01-20-11, 11:34 PM

I can see a lot of pirates using this to justify their stealing. But it's nice to see the industry is growing all the same.

01-20-11, 11:40 PM

yet they say they r loseing money =/

01-21-11, 12:48 AM

Yeah, this was expected. There were a lot of big sellers this year in comparison to the past couple of years (Bakemonogatari, K-ON!!, AB!, Railgun, Working!, DRRR!!, etc) and there were a lot of movies released in the latter half of last year. It seems like the trend will continue as well, with several series from fall and winter already being assured to sale 15-20k copies and a lot of blockbuster anime announced for this year.

01-21-11, 12:50 AM

dtshyk said:
mikhailn said:

This.
Severe Estimation of US Anime Market in 2010
Chart: Anime DVD & Blu-ray Market in US (2005 - 2010)

I wish to point out that the numbers aren't complete because Wal-Mart hasn't revealed their sales data. On top of that, there is a huge number of reasons for this drop, such as Americans getting their stuff straight from Japan or Americans losing interest in anime. Doesn't have to be illegal subbers

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices