Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 6, 2008 1:30 PM

Jan 2008
The manga was superb all the way to the end. Not a single misstep, it was perfect. (although female characters could have been fleshed out a bit more)

When Asami leant against Hojo I wanted to shed manly tears. Such an epic friendship.

Tokai survives to the end! What a man. You love him, you hate him, you're confused, but you root for him anyway. Unforgettable character. Kinda reminded me a bit of Lono from US graphic novel 100 Bullets, but Tokai is more loveable.

I would love to see a sequel of sorts, set in the 21st century, post 9/11, dealing with other aspects of Japan, cultism, corporate espionage, stuff you'd see in a Clavell novel (the author I mention in my review, check his books out, read them in the order of the era they're set in, his 'Asian Saga' is amazing)
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 30, 2008 4:09 PM

Apr 2008
MANLY TEARS

All I can say. Still in in wah-it's-over shock mode.
Oct 20, 2008 7:50 PM

Nov 2007
"It's alright to sleep now?"
"sure"

god damnit. manly tears indeed.
Jan 1, 2009 8:04 PM

Jul 2007
As much as I loved this manga, I felt the end was too abrupt, not rushed, but just abrupt. I felt like Isaoka saying that Asami could be a candidate was offset by the fact that he died and they never clarified by any means what would happen next. Another thing which kind of bugged me throughout this whole manga was the fact that the Deputy Chief just randomly fell "hopelessly in love" with Hojo, and basically throughout this manga there didn't seem like there was a single woman who wasn't easy to have sex with. I just think think the author seems to be really bad with an accurate portrayal of love in general.
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Jan 2, 2009 4:57 PM

Feb 2007
The easy sex is what made it so bad-ass. Shut up.
Jan 3, 2009 3:45 AM

Jul 2007
selective_yellow said:
The easy sex is what made it so bad-ass. Shut up.

There's easy sex in hentai too, and it certainly doesn't make it "bad-ass". Well, I guess it might seem bad-ass for someone's who never had sex, but having sex with whores doesn't make you badass, sorry.

In any case, easy sex wasn't so much the problem as easy period. Women were just easy, and since they were so easy the fact that the two main characters had sex with all the women they did didn't seem so great.

edit: You want to read a manga that's just overall badass? Eden: It's an Endless World. Overall badassery, and everything you could possibly ask of a manga.
SinJan 3, 2009 3:48 AM
All the mods fucking blow on this website except Kaiserpingvin, Cloudy-Sky, Baman and aero. PM me if you're actually good and I left you out.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Jan 4, 2009 12:27 AM

Jan 2008
Although I agree that the female characters were easy, you have to take into account the genre of the manga and what comes along with it. 99% of yakuza tales center on men, and any women that do feature are either hookers or victims, and whenever they're not then its a fantastical tale where they're assassins or something. Its a shame that the two most powerful women in the story, police lady and politician, didnt get as much depth as the guys, but I see it as a stylistic choice consistent with the form and content of the story. This is about men.

Its basically a pulpy tale from a dude going by the pen name 'buronson' aka 'the Bronson in Charles Bronson' so you have to take easy women as part of the package, its all intended. If it were packed with more women better developed it indeed would be an even more superb manga, but a different breed altogether, because then we wouldnt call it pulp fiction, it would have risen above that. As it stands, its still perfect the way it is because it knows what it is.

As for the ending, its ok to have a big question mark hanging sometimes, because if after that scene where Asami dies, it suddenly went into an epilogue of more politicking, it would have ruined the emotional impact and poignancy of the climax.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 5, 2009 12:40 AM

Jul 2007
Cihan said:
Although I agree that the female characters were easy, you have to take into account the genre of the manga and what comes along with it. 99% of yakuza tales center on men, and any women that do feature are either hookers or victims, and whenever they're not then its a fantastical tale where they're assassins or something. Its a shame that the two most powerful women in the story, police lady and politician, didnt get as much depth as the guys, but I see it as a stylistic choice consistent with the form and content of the story. This is about men.

Its basically a pulpy tale from a dude going by the pen name 'buronson' aka 'the Bronson in Charles Bronson' so you have to take easy women as part of the package, its all intended. If it were packed with more women better developed it indeed would be an even more superb manga, but a different breed altogether, because then we wouldnt call it pulp fiction, it would have risen above that. As it stands, its still perfect the way it is because it knows what it is.

As for the ending, its ok to have a big question mark hanging sometimes, because if after that scene where Asami dies, it suddenly went into an epilogue of more politicking, it would have ruined the emotional impact and poignancy of the climax.

I kind of see where you're coming from with that women aspect of it, though I just have a personal preference that since the chief was one character who was there throughout the whole manga she could've been developed much more.

But, I disagree in terms of the ending. I'm not saying they should've had the scene where Asami dies and then more of the story, but rather more of the story before Asami dies. In other words, postponing Asami's death until after he got elected and determining what would happen after he dies, or at least mentioning a hint of what would happen, before he dies.

Oh, rule 8...

( ̄ー ̄)
Apr 8, 2009 5:12 PM

Dec 2007
"is it alright to sleep now?" wow..just wow.
Apr 30, 2009 1:38 AM

Jan 2008
I was supposed to write my essay... I almost started writing it... In the end I spent whole night reading this masterpiece.
I had fun once and it was awful.
Jul 31, 2009 8:08 AM

Jan 2009
My heart is in pain.
Oct 20, 2009 3:15 AM

Oct 2008
i have not read many manga's but this is my number one favorite ive read so, fck and the goodfellas, godfather..best crime story is for sanctuary.
Nov 9, 2009 12:08 PM

Feb 2009
Just finished this after some intense reading and there is not much else to say than just wow!

What an amazing story, easily the best manga I have read so far. The easy women raised some eyebrowes on my part as well, but in the end id did not matter much. Overall the series was so impressive that I can overlook the issues with Hojo's Deputy Chief and the other instances where it appears.

Easily 10/10 for me on this one.
Nov 9, 2009 12:35 PM

Jan 2008
All women are easy anyway.
Nov 12, 2009 10:07 AM

May 2007
Finally got around to reading this manga. And man, what an awesome ride. I was in the edge of my seat the entire time, for the most part.

I really only have one disappointment with this manga. While the first half of the story was pure brilliance, I felt the second half of the story (once the relationship between Hojo and Asami was revealed by Isaoka to the public) didn't match the excellence that was presented in the first half. A clear example I would compare that to would be with 20th Century Boys when...

Brilliance in the first half of the manga, not up to that level in the second half, but still, really, freaking, amazing.

I also found the ending to be quite sudden, but I have no problems with it, as the ending between Hojo and Asami was perfect. An epilogue of sorts would be nice, but it leaves little up to the imagination I guess.

Final 9/10.
VK11Nov 13, 2009 6:14 AM
Dec 19, 2009 11:17 PM

Apr 2008
The ending was sudden, I wish we could have seen Hojo's future struggles after Asami's dead. One thing I don't understand is how a drop out High School student can be qualify to run for politics.
Jan 24, 2010 7:14 PM

Jul 2009
Amazing manga, one of the best i've read.

TuzoAnime said:
The ending was sudden, I wish we could have seen Hojo's future
struggles after Asami's dead. One thing I don't understand is how a drop out High School student can be qualify to run for politics.

hmm, isn't anyone able to run for politics ? (or as long as they don't have a criminal record)
May 2, 2010 2:09 PM

Apr 2009
TuzoAnime said:
The ending was sudden, I wish we could have seen Hojo's future struggles after Asami's dead. One thing I don't understand is how a drop out High School student can be qualify to run for politics.

Take a look at the jobs of most of the ministers and dietmen in your country. At least in germany these things ARE possible.

Regarding the ending: I shed manly tears ;_;
Steel Ball Run anime when?
May 24, 2010 1:39 AM

Apr 2010
Truly a masterpiece. Such superb storytelling, and a perfect ending in my eyes.

Beatnik said:
All women are easy anyway.

speak for yourself (and for me too ;D)
Jul 11, 2010 12:35 PM

Jul 2007
Wow what a powerful ending. I'm confused about who will take asamis place in the election though. I finished this manga without stopping. I probably spent a good 8 hours on it :)
Aug 23, 2010 7:01 PM
May 2008
*cries* Manly tears!!!

10/10
Dead Account
Please Delete
Sep 21, 2010 4:47 AM

Apr 2009
its a shame the manga didnt have no drama there.. i mean come on.. when i heard its about yakuza i immediatly thought there would be some damn powerful drama there.. like how the main character dies or other around him..

i mean imagine if the police woman chick would be killed by yakuza.. how would Hojo react.. or if Hojo's bodyguard ( the one that helped his son with the money for his sickness)

how great impact it would have had.. its a mafia story damn. (check Godfather)

it was fucking awesome wan Hojo was shut.. i thought he would die ( it would be good too if he would be dead)

they tried to kinda put some drama there at the end with Tokai.. it was nice but nodoby died and it was a happy ending..

well its not like this sux or other.. maybe i was just expecting other stuff..

still a masterpiece is a masterpiece..

best damn story about politics/yakuza...

fucking awesome art 10/10
Sep 27, 2010 5:15 AM

Apr 2009
oh and how Hojo was saying stuff like - till now i wasnt serous, now i will get my hands dirty..etc..
i was like hell yeah, lets see some blood Hojo.. lets see some mafia war

and what happened? nothing..

also the police dudes were not developed well..

they were introduced perfectly but didnt make shit in the series.. neither that little man (that was kinda scary) neither that angry police-man with his socks ...
they did nothing..

the series was more based on the 'political' part rather than mafia one...
Dec 17, 2010 3:30 AM

Jan 2010
vindemon64 said:
Finally got around to reading this manga. And man, what an awesome ride. I was in the edge of my seat the entire time, for the most part.

I really only have one disappointment with this manga. While the first half of the story was pure brilliance, I felt the second half of the story (once the relationship between Hojo and Asami was revealed by Isaoka to the public) didn't match the excellence that was presented in the first half. A clear example I would compare that to would be with 20th Century Boys when...

Brilliance in the first half of the manga, not up to that level in the second half, but still, really, freaking, amazing.

I also found the ending to be quite sudden, but I have no problems with it, as the ending between Hojo and Asami was perfect. An epilogue of sorts would be nice, but it leaves little up to the imagination I guess.

Final 9/10.

I agree with how you related Sanctuary and 20th Century Boys. Though it was much more evident in 20th Century Boys losing momentum towards the later half of the manga. In Sanctuary it might have lost some of the epicness that the first half presented us with but overall it stood strong. Only have a few gripes with it but can't rate this a 9/10 either.

smokes said:
oh and how Hojo was saying stuff like - till now i wasnt serous, now i will get my hands dirty..etc..
i was like hell yeah, lets see some blood Hojo.. lets see some mafia war

and what happened? nothing..

also the police dudes were not developed well..

they were introduced perfectly but didnt make shit in the series.. neither that little man (that was kinda scary) neither that angry police-man with his socks ...
they did nothing..

the series was more based on the 'political' part rather than mafia one...

I agree with the police being really underdeveloped. They stood out for like a volume or two and that was it. Didn't really mean much at all. The only downside to this manga is character development. I had this same problem with 20th Century Boys. Disappointing but the story is still overall good.
VitaXDec 17, 2010 3:33 AM
Feb 14, 2011 11:00 PM
Jul 2009
One of the BEST manga I have read so far

even though I would've preferred if the ending was a little bit more clarifying towards what would happen to the nation after asami's death.

It Also occured to me -- after finding out that asami had a disease-- that hojo would've commit suicide... Well can't know now

Oh, another thing, did Hojo EVER really had sex with that police woman or was it always her just dreaming????
Feb 17, 2011 1:52 PM

Aug 2008
It was a truly amazing strategy-based story, my eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. I liked the ending, but there's this one thing i don't understand: why does Isaoka propose Asami for the prime-minister seat? Isn't he a stubborn geezer who wouldn't let go of power? His abrupt surrender had me going wtf! And when he discussed it with the old yakuza, he said he was ready to retire when he saw Asami's eyes...like when, 100 chapters ago? Did he meant to be a pain in the ass just to test if he was ready to govern the nation? I just can't wrap my mind around his resignation...
Mar 16, 2011 11:45 PM

Feb 2010
hinode said:
It was a truly amazing strategy-based story, my eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. I liked the ending, but there's this one thing i don't understand: why does Isaoka propose Asami for the prime-minister seat? Isn't he a stubborn geezer who wouldn't let go of power? His abrupt surrender had me going wtf! And when he discussed it with the old yakuza, he said he was ready to retire when he saw Asami's eyes...like when, 100 chapters ago? Did he meant to be a pain in the ass just to test if he was ready to govern the nation? I just can't wrap my mind around his resignation...

He's a cunning bastard but when you strip off these traits, he remains as a true politician at heart. He knows what's wrong with Japan and he recognize Asami's talent and drive to reform the country. In the earlier parts of the manga, the reason Isaoka offers Asami a position as a minister was as a collateral form of 'peace offerings' together with the demand that Asami will wait patiently for 10 years, since it will be more or less 10 years when Isaoka retires. After Asami rejects his proposal, Isaoka resigned that he just 'set back Japan politics by 10 years'.

My impression was Isaoka want to go out with a bang by helping Asami to the position of Prime Minister in the end. I guess he pretty much comes to terms that his ideologies and obsession for power are not the solutions to Japan's problems.

I fell in love with this manga. Never once a dull moment, it had me at the edge of my seats throughout the story. Testosterone actions, scheming politics, insightful dialogue, inspirational, exciting twists and overwhelming manliness .

10/10
live2winMar 17, 2011 5:04 AM
Mar 22, 2011 1:10 PM

Jun 2009
I felt as though the story was a little too obvious with it's attempts at plot twists at times and the character development for anyone aside from Asami and Hojo wasn't quite as extensive as I like. It's also really obvious that the mangaka has no idea how to write a female character in a positive light.

But, despite my complaints, I can't deny how high quality this manga is overall and I thought it was a rather interesting foray into the world of politics. Which is interesting because I went into this expecting more of a crime drama when in actuality it was more of a political tale. But, it was a good political tale.

Overall, though, I'll give it an 8/10 because of how bare bones the character development was and the series reliance on plot twists. I also dislike the portrayal of women.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 17, 2011 1:17 PM
Jul 2011
The entire Asami falling sick felt a bit random.The first half was good but then the mangaka just kept on dragging the story on.I felt the entire Russian mafia entering Japan a bit unnecessary.
A solid 6/10 imo it would have been a lot better had it been around 60 chapters.
Sep 25, 2012 5:12 AM

Aug 2009
Aghhhhh *cries* noooo it's over!!

But in all seriousness, that ending just seems so much sadder in retrospect. I feel like in the post-cold war era that this story covers, there was a certain sense of global optimism that was a big part of the story. I think the world really needs to regain that and go through a lot more major change and I really wish we had some real-life visionaries to make it happen...I don't agree with all the political convictions of the characters in Sanctuary but their idealism is awesome.

Anyway haha not meaning to go off on a political tangent!

Amazing, amazing story. Yes the portrayal of women was awful but I could enjoy the story without necessarily 'forgiving' that aspect...I just accept it as an inevitable part of the territory with a 90s Japanese yakuza story and enjoy the other aspects. The best part was the lifelong friendship and unwavering will of Asami and Hojo. It was interesting how the older yakuza and the secretary general had a similar backstory, along with those guys in Russia. I wonder if there are real-life examples of this kind of thing haha. I know politicians get money from unsavory backers all the time but this kind of lifelong commitment? I guess it's possible though.

One thing I find kind of fun is imagining what they did in the intervening years between their adolescence and where the 'real' story starts. I can just imagine Hojo showing up at Tokyo University to give Asami suitcases of money so he can afford to hang out with the wealthy connected students and make important connections for his political future haha...then Hojo would tell Asami all about his fun day beating up street thugs with Tokai and Asami would laugh along and then go back to his studies :p
sevenaySep 25, 2012 5:19 AM
Sep 25, 2012 9:11 AM

Aug 2009
smokes said:
its a shame the manga didnt have no drama there.. i mean come on.. when i heard its about yakuza i immediatly thought there would be some damn powerful drama there.. like how the main character dies or other around him..

i mean imagine if the police woman chick would be killed by yakuza.. how would Hojo react.. or if Hojo's bodyguard ( the one that helped his son with the money for his sickness)

how great impact it would have had.. its a mafia story damn. (check Godfather)

Yeah I noticed that, too. The characters were a bit TOO cool at times and I wished more had happened in the story to shake them up a bit. Maybe if they had been portrayed as forming deep relationships with anyone other than each other this would have been easier. When things happened to one of them that upset the other that was really the only time they showed their humanity.
Dec 16, 2012 7:18 PM

Oct 2008
Beatnik said:
The manga was superb all the way to the end. Not a single misstep, it was perfect.

Fucking agree, manly tears were shed, I'd never have imagined I would read something better than Monster, this proved me wrong, perfect 10/10 for me.
Jan 24, 2013 1:42 AM

Dec 2012
I cried at the ending. This has to be the best manga I have read yet. It was my perfect manga and I cannot stress enough how much I enjoyed it. Every aspect was perfect and I could not stop reading it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone. 10/10 perfection.
MastaJJan 24, 2013 2:03 AM
"When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it."
Mar 7, 2013 10:56 AM

Jul 2011
words cannot describe all the greatness of this manga.
講廢話,被撞到.
Mar 18, 2013 1:04 AM

Nov 2011
The ending still brings me to tears.... such an amazing manga.
Sep 1, 2013 12:28 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Very good manga with a great ending. Splendid art, memorable characters and a story that meant something makes this a classic.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 9, 2014 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
One of the best and most important mangas I've ever read. So many themes that lessons that it'd take me a while to list them all out. I think every man should read this and learn something.

10/10. Can't believe it's over 20 years old and still holds relevance today. I'm glad Hojo and Asami found their sanctuary. Manly tears were definitely shed at the final scene.
Apr 15, 2014 10:56 PM

Dec 2011
Raitei_Dono said:
The entire Asami falling sick felt a bit random.The first half was good but then the mangaka just kept on dragging the story on.I felt the entire Russian mafia entering Japan a bit unnecessary.
A solid 6/10 imo it would have been a lot better had it been around 60 chapters.

That's what I'm sayin, it didn't need to be that long and I lost interest about half way into the story. 5/10 for me

May 21, 2014 7:20 PM

Jul 2011
Agreed. First half was fabulous.

Second half lost momentum... and the women... but overall I still enjoyed it. It was good, it was a political thrill. There were a few ideas I didn't like, but the idealism was strong and epic. These are action takers, not the people who sit back and think about what is wrong with the world and do nothing.

Good read, burned through the chapters easily and quickly.
Jun 4, 2014 12:50 PM

Oct 2012
This was probably the best 'stable' manga I ever read...
It went realy steadily, not trying to create some awespiring twists, it was entangling in it's own way.

The length was just perfect too - a few volumes more and you would start to get bored of the same theme, a few less and it wouldn't be in depth enough.

The ending was pretty good - they left it pretty open ended while leaving the feeling of it being complete.

It had a few flaws, but they may be a bit too biased on my opinion..
First of all - I am not too much into medicine and chemistry, but I doubt that there could be such effect from chemistry which would leave you fine without any symptoms for tens of years and then suddenly burst and kill you within a few month time...
The second part was the voting part of it.. I, as a citizen, don't see how could a simple confession of some thug make such effect on votes in a period of 2 hours... It was over-exaggerated for sure.
I mean, even if I was told that my country will die off unless all go and vote, I wouldn't realy care, one can always go to another country if he feels like it.

Also I don't realy understand the criticism about women being treated bad(an irony that such criticism is mostly from woman themselves, heh, quite biased..) - I think that element was actually pretty intentional and was done realy well.
Don't forget women's suffrage for Japan only opened up after the WW2 and the period we see in manga is not too far from that, old folk of the manga period is from the generation, who may still treat women as an object..
Also don't forget that Japan is a country heavy on traditions, and it was usual for a woman to become a simple housewife in japan.. yes, rarely they held some high positions, but other than that - barely more than a toy for their husband or servant in whorehouse.

Who knows, if the WW2 didn't turn out as it did - maybe the women in japan still wouldn't have their suffrage..
It maybe even would be for the best - women are hardly any good for anything related with politics.. There are exclusions, just like everything in this world does, but women are mostly too open minded and their opinion is often based on whim or rumors or other opinion, in short - unreliable.

Well, now that got a bit too far from discussing the manga, so I will stop here.

A steady trip the manga packed was sure entertaining - offered a brief introduction into the world of politics too, and I think it did well at that. One of the easiest 10/10 I could give, it's rare to see a manga which is so entangling and at the same time does not even try to rely on dramatic moments to entertain you - series just calmly proceeds on their own pace and do it great.
Oct 24, 2014 8:31 PM

Jan 2013
Because every manga about organized crime has to be some action hollywood fantasized manga. Grow up you fuckin manchildren. I reread this manga and I can say 100% there is no other manga as unique and passionate as this.

More topics from this board

» Number of chapters?

arielpk - Jan 26

5 by Alexioos95 »»
Jan 29, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Sanctuary Chapter 105 Discussion

becool - Dec 19, 2014

8 by 1stburneracct »»
Jan 21, 2023 3:17 AM

Poll: » Sanctuary Chapter 8 Discussion

becool - Dec 16, 2014

2 by Stephas »»
Jan 21, 2023 2:34 AM

Poll: » Sanctuary Chapter 1 Discussion

Feminiszt - Jun 8, 2012

6 by dedalus02 »»
Nov 28, 2022 1:36 PM

Poll: » Sanctuary Chapter 51 Discussion

Beatnik - Jun 5, 2008

3 by FMmatron »»
Jan 2, 2021 3:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.