MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Shane Black to Direct Live Action Movie of Death Note
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» News Discussion »» Shane Black to Direct Live Action Movie of Death Note

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
01-16-11, 6:42 AM

Interesting... I think.?

I'll probably not watch this since I haven't been a fan of hollywood movies. Though I think that they shouldn't change too much of the stuff from DeathNote. I mean... The original manga storyline/plot development etc is what makes the name DeathNote successful in the first place right? If they change too much of it, it'll just turn out to be another fail adaptation that gets a lot of hate.That said, they'll probably still get people watching this since the name itself would bring in the crowd, be it the curious or the people who just want to hate.

Ah well, will see how it goes...

01-16-11, 6:50 AM

People seem to forget that most previous American live action adaptations of anime were so blatantly terrible movies by default because they were done by greedy pigs who couldn't make a good movie to save their lives and needed to change the title to one people have heard of and slightly change their crappy movie so that they can pretend it's anything like the anime in order to make a quick buck.

This is done by an actual good director and the presumably main character's actor is a legit fan of the series. In other words, this actually has a chance to work.

also lol @ believing stuff about a script no one's actually linked to (and even if it was that doesn't prove it's real).

Disagreeing with me is like you saying "my opinion is wrong".

01-16-11, 6:57 AM

the japanese live action films of death note are also horrible.

01-16-11, 8:31 AM

Apparently they're going to be more faithful to the manga. Shane Black is a good writer so hopefully he'll be able to pull it off. Also, all of the info in Benj-san's post is completely fake. Nothing but a silly rumour.

B-chan911 said:
Oh God, this will be interestingly bad I'm sure XD First a supposed Bleach movie (by Warner Bros. I might add), now a Death Note one...wow...

Actually the Death Note movie was announced way before the Bleach movie.

leeahseng said:
englishman stay away from japan's anime industry

Shane Black is American.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

01-16-11, 8:42 AM

Touka said:
Apparently they're going to be more faithful to the manga. Shane Black is a good writer so hopefully he'll be able to pull it off. Also, all of the info in Benj-san's post is completely fake. Nothing but a silly rumour.

Really? I heard he was going to make up his own script.

http://www.animevice.com/news/rumor-alert-death-note-movie-script-leaked/2653/

The guy in the blog says he even read the script himself.
People are strange, when you're a stranger

01-16-11, 9:03 AM

well well well , hope it would be best hollywood live action movie based on a manga ever !

01-16-11, 9:13 AM

Oh God.It's so annoying!Everyone's like "OH NOEZ AMERICANZ WILL RUIN IT11!"
Stop it people!Maybe it'll be actually a good one!Some of us didn't like the japanese movies of Death Note so maybe Hollywood won't fail to make it better!Argh,so stop with the bitching,like it or not IT'S A FACT,And I can't wait!^^

01-16-11, 10:34 AM

AT LEAST ITS NOT ZAC EFFRON!

Please like my cosplay Facebook Fanpage ; u ; (I shall give you hugs if you do! ; 3 ;)

01-16-11, 11:15 AM

I'm telling myself not to expect anything but at the same time I feel like it's going to be crap
"To define is to limit."
--Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

01-16-11, 11:46 AM

Eh?

Something tells me they’re going to screw up Death Note. Hopefully not, but I can’t expect anything.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.

01-16-11, 11:53 AM

As long as they don't stray too far away from the Death Note plot it shouldn't be too bad right? >.>
Modified by QwaserRailgun, 01-16-11, 12:00 PM

01-16-11, 11:58 AM

I'm weary about this movie, live-action movies tend to not be very good, but so far it seems like this movie is on the right path, they have a great director and great producers.
For now I'm only going to listen to the facts and not rumors, if it doesn't have a reliable source then I'm not going to believe it. Like that "script". If they've just recently hired Shane Black I doubt they have a solid script yet, maybe outlines of a script but definitely not a "this is it" script.
I hope everything goes well, and if it doesn't completely follow the manga I hope at least it's an enjoyable movie.
Hopeful, but not blindly so.
Cat Love

01-16-11, 12:06 PM

I'm not sure what's worst:

The supposed Cowboy Bebop Movie
The supposed Bleach movie
Or an actual Death Note movie coming out in the next few years.

I think I'll just cry myself to sleep now.

01-16-11, 12:21 PM

OMG....
im gonna cry.....

01-16-11, 12:24 PM

I was hoping they had forgotten about making an American Death Note movie.....
I don't think this is going to turn out too well ... but I'll wait and see. =/

01-16-11, 12:26 PM

Dear god, will they never give up?

Seriously, movie directors, not everything in the world needs a film adaptation. Eragon, Avatar the Last Airbender... and now Death Note? It's not like they can fit all the awesome plot twists into a mere 2 1/2 hours, so why try? Just leave it in anime/manga format. Most things are better off left that way.

01-16-11, 1:04 PM

I thought I would be a bit annoying and say something that isn't very constructive, such as, I hope this won't turn out to be like the Dragon Ball movie.

I joke. To be honest, I'm looking forward to it, whether it does turn out to be good or bad. I'm not expecting any fancy SFX that I was expecting in the Dragon Ball movie or any cinematic fighting sequences (since there is barely any). Not very concerned about whether L's character looks identical to the manga character. All I would love to see in this movie is some sort of psychological, justified, intelligent game between the two main characters. I don't really care so much whether Ryuk is in it or any other shinigamis are in it, or even if L's successors are in it. Just as long as Light and L's characters are portrayed well (mostly personality wise) and they stay loyal to the first part of the manga (From the start till L dies) i'll be happy.

01-16-11, 1:45 PM

If this really is the guy that directed Lethal Weapon, then this movie is going to be great.
Modified by Jto182, 01-20-11, 5:16 PM

01-16-11, 2:42 PM

I like how everyone automatically assumes "THIS WILL BE THE WORST MOVIE EVARRRRR".

Give it a chance. If you don't want to, then don't watch it. Sheesh.

01-16-11, 3:13 PM

I have seen some of the guys work like The Last Boy Scout, The Long Kiss Goodnight and Last Action Hero. But, those were all action movies. So, I don't think the Death Note movie wouldn't be that great of a film because I think this guy, who's known for doing action movies, wouldn't do so well on doing a psychological mystery thriller like Death Note.

I heard that a film he directed called Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a neo-noir mystery comedy movie. But even if he directed something like that film, I still don't think he's capable of directing and writing a film which is based on a popular manga/anime like Death Note.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices