Forum Settings
Forums

Shane Black to Direct Live Action Movie of Death Note

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 18, 2011 1:11 PM

Nov 2009
Benj-san said:
This is what I've heard about the script:

OMG! Hahahaha, pfffff, hahahaha (why is there no emoticons when you need them?)
Americans, leave anime worlds alone! (the same applies and to other countries, Japan included).
Jan 18, 2011 1:29 PM

Jul 2008
Bionicmilk said:
everyone should give it a chance & stop instantly throwing it under the bus be4 its even out.

plus i wanna ask the japanese fans 2 stop bagging america 4 crappy adaptations cuz i saw the japanese death note.....& it sucked more balls than a gay guy.

I actually rather enjoyed the live action films. Japan's attempts at CGI are rather terrible, but they still make pretty awesome films.
This is one of those adaptations that can work, as others have said; it's nothing like DBE.
This along with Cowboy Bebop could very well become good films.
Jan 18, 2011 7:47 PM

Sep 2009
bakuramariks said:
Benj-san said:

Americans, leave anime worlds alone! (the same applies and to other countries, Japan included).

So Japan should stop producing anime then?
Jan 18, 2011 11:23 PM

Feb 2008
I just knew Hollywood wasn't going to give up on this. I wasn't to sure about this director at first but seeing how some of you folks said he is a manga fan, I have higher hopes now...but only if they do a complete rewrite of the original script and get rid of Zach Effron.

Fai said:
Benj-san said:

How does anything of that confirm movie as bad? Name change is only expected, because an american teenager with japanese surname and weird name would be ridiculous.

I've read the leaked script in full, the guy who wrote it missed the whole point of what makes Death Note....well, "Death Note".

When I read the script it was very clear that the writer had only seen the live-action films, and had never even dared laid a finger on the original manga or anime version.

The changes are far greater than just a bunch of simple name changes and no Ryuk. Instead of a suspenseful thriller of a cat and mouse game with a few horror elements, it was changed into full straight-up a horror flick. Even Light's...er, Luke's, personality was greatly changed as well. As Light...er, "Luke", no longer is some bored smart kid with a god complex who turns evil, instead we have some evil force making him do bad things.

I'm sure these changes where all done BECAUSE of Zach Effron playing the part of "Luke", all so he would be depicted more like some nice guy who got just got tangled up in everything. Leave a better impression on his preteen fangirls of you know what I mean... As I'm sure they wouldn't want to see him laughing like a mad, creepy, psychotic lunatic.

Oh, and even less L than there was in the first japanese live-action film.

As screwed up was the script was, i'll admit there where some bits here and there added in I actually liked, but the whole thing just wasn't the Death Note we all know and love, and I definitely want a rewrite (which i heard was going to happen after the script was leaked).

Oh, I still have the script, maybe if you people ask me real nicely...
SailorCardKnightJan 18, 2011 11:32 PM
Jan 19, 2011 6:50 AM

Nov 2009
Sabinlerose said:
bakuramariks said:
Benj-san said:

So Japan should stop producing anime then?

No, i meant Japan to stop making movies from animes as well. Well, whoever wants to watch them, fine. I'm not interested in movies based on animes, so it's fine by me.
Jan 19, 2011 1:40 PM

Oct 2007
It could be WAAAAAAY worse. People always seem to forget The Fist of the North Star movie. I'm sorry but Hokuto Hyakurettsu Ken looks incredibly stupid in that movie. Just check it out for yourself. Just imagine a staple image of Shonen being butchered in live action. Yup.

Either way if the plot is completely off the wrong track, the fact that they have a good director means it won't be god awful. Also if you've already seen the series before, think of it as a new look into it. It'll be surprising for sure.
Jan 19, 2011 7:47 PM

Sep 2009
Sakata-san said:
It could be WAAAAAAY worse. People always seem to forget The Fist of the North Star movie. I'm sorry but Hokuto Hyakurettsu Ken looks incredibly stupid in that movie. Just check it out for yourself. Just imagine a staple image of Shonen being butchered in live action. Yup.

Either way if the plot is completely off the wrong track, the fact that they have a good director means it won't be god awful. Also if you've already seen the series before, think of it as a new look into it. It'll be surprising for sure.

Change is bad.
Fans don't want something new.
They want the same shit shoveled and recycled over and over and over again.

Like Call of Duty.
Jan 30, 2011 11:30 PM

Jul 2010
i'm not sure how i feel about this movie...while many of you have posted reassurance that the death note franchise is in good hands with this director & producers, something deep down is telling me that i'm in for an abomination.

however, i have heard that robert pattinson would be the one to play as L. i'm not sure of any truth behind this rumor though...
Feb 6, 2011 2:40 AM

Jan 2008
SailorCardKnight said:

I've read the leaked script in full

yeah sure.....that script is definitely fake
patlagikFeb 6, 2011 2:51 AM
Feb 6, 2011 12:14 PM

Aug 2010
Geez, why does Hollywood have to rape everything? Now I'm really mad if this is actually true.

Feb 7, 2011 5:34 PM

Dec 2008
Let's look at the bright side... If he succeeds in making an adequate Death Note live action maybe other people will start making movies from anime that aren't like DBZ, or (although not classified as an anime), Avatar: The Last Airbender. Those were just horrendous. Atleast he's an anime/manga fan
Feb 8, 2011 5:17 AM

May 2009
People already started making movies from animes and they don't need to wait for the DN movie to succeed to make money.
Mar 28, 2011 3:41 PM
Mar 2011
I... I won't go see this. This sounds absolutely terrible...
Mar 28, 2011 3:59 PM

Jul 2009
I don't know why people can't simply be allowed to enjoy the current live action films avaliable?
They were only mad a few years back, those who watched were obviously able to read and watch at once, why does it have to be simplified further? Even the old tacky voiced movie dubs are that bit more respectful; atleast we get to apreciate a range of different actors and the director and staff's hard work.

Moemy said:
Movie will fail.

But still,
ZAC EFRON IS KIRA.

Zack Efron!
I was hoping they had moved on from him. :(
They were alledgedly going to cast that Ashley Tisdale as Misa.
I was actually hoping the idea would get put off, yet Disney actors, it just adds insult to injury.

Mar 31, 2011 11:37 AM

May 2009
Moemy said:

But still,
ZAC EFRON IS KIRA.

he's gotten more muscular now and doesn't look as much like a schoolboy as he did before so i don't see it happenin :(

im sad because it would have been funny
May 11, 2012 8:28 AM

Jul 2010
I don't want this, no...
May 11, 2012 5:12 PM

Aug 2009
I just hope they make this take place in the US instead of in Japan. We do not need a carbon copy of a live action movie that already exists.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 3 hours ago

7 by RobertBobert »»
18 minutes ago

» Light Novel 'Saikyou no Shienshoku "Wajutsushi" de Aru Ore wa Sekai Saikyou Clan wo Shitagaeru' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

Vindstot - Apr 21

8 by modcarparking »»
3 hours ago

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

11 by modcarparking »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
6 hours ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.