Forum Settings
Forums

Criticisms about dubs that made you want to slap your forehead and go, "what the f*** are you talking about?!"

New
Jan 14, 2011 11:29 PM

Oct 2008
Ever had one of those moments where someone criticized a dub and you felt like wanting to knock some sense into them? Well not in the violent sense, but you felt as if there are some things people who bash dubs plain don't get. I'm pretty sure anyone who has been self-aware of the whole everlasting sub v.s dubs war has experienced at least ONE of those situations. Well now this thread is your official rant corner for just that sort of thing. So drop an argument, a complaint, some f-bombs, mix with some death threats (okay I'm only kidding about the "death threat" part), and then you have your recipe for an "anti-dub rant." And it can be about anything. It can even be about actors or studios that you personally feel don't deserve the complaints they get.

I'll be the first to go. One thing I want to set straight that comes to mind is the "cast fatigue argument." The whole, "I'm tired of hearing the same 10 actors in many dubs I hear."

First of all, why don't you just watch a show you like that doesn't have that actor you heard a lot lately. If you're tired of hearing Vic Mignogna or Todd Haberkorn in everything, then don't freaking listen to a Funimation dub for a while. Instead do your research by checking that actor's profile, see what dub he/she hasn't been in and watch a dub that actor hasn't been in! Hell, go back and watch a dub you haven't heard of in years, if it means not dealing with repetition. Vic Mignogna isn't in Rurouni Kenshin, so listen to freaking that!

Second, so what if you can recognize the actor's voice? So freakin' what?! It's not just about if an actor can try a totally different voice! The point of an actor's voice is to convey a character coming to life vocally and help the audience believe in that character vocally. And the go-to argument is Johnny Yong Bosch or Vic Mignogna on Adult Swim, back-to-back! If you can tell the difference between how Ichigo acts and how Lelouche acts, and if you can tell the difference between how Yoshimori and how Edward acts, then those actors did a good job doing their job. Voice acting isn't so much about can you identify the actor behind the voice as much as it is can you identify the character behind the voice. I can understand how it's easy to immediately think of the actor behind the voice, but just try to think of the character more often.

And what's so dumb about this is that they demand the actor to sound different, which they could easily do if they applied a silly uncommon accent in a dub. But fans don't freakin' want that! No! Fans act so rigid, demanding fidelity at the same time.

And third, there are a few valid reasons this happens. The first reason being that if you want dubs coming out as soon as possible, but as efficiently as possible, then veteran actors who you hear a thousand times are the go-to option. The second reason being that it's cheaper and less time-consuming to hire actors within the same state than in another state. And what the fans who demand high quality dubs need to understand is that even if extra time and money is added, how is it gonna pay off once the anime is released on DVD? People make it sound like "a dub has to be perfect or no one is gonna buy it!" None of that would matter if the DVD won't sell well anyway. As much as I believe a dub should be of good quality, the people that make it sound like a dub can determine whether a show will sell well are ultimately the minority.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2011 12:57 AM

Dec 2009
I'm just the opposite with voice actors. I love hearing an actor I recognize because I have no interest in Hollywood or any American pop culture and therefore I very rarely recognize any American actors/actresses/whatever the hell mainstream people talk about.

I'm not in a rage-rant mood right now, but I am a bit annoyed at someone I was speaking to earlier who, before now, hasn't had an opinion on subs or dubs. Out of the blue today, he asked me why I didn't watch subbed anime. I said, one, because I can't multitask - subtitles demand my total, undivided attention; and two, I miss a lot of details with my eyes glued to the bottom of the screen - it's much easier to split the work between my eyes and ears than it is to have my eyes frantically darting up and down for 20 minutes.

"Right, you wouldn't want to miss a second of that lush animation."

"Is that sarcasm?"

"Yes. Yes it is."

"I don't want to miss it. =|"

"Even in action-y anime (oxymoron) you won't miss much detail from it."

"One, action anime is hardly an oxymoron, and two, you kind of miss a lot. A lot a lot. You've seen Excel Saga - that's not action-y at all, and I'm sure you can imagine how much fun it would be trying to keep up with the speech in that series. Plus the three characters talking in the background. And any text on the screen."

"No. Not really. I prefer subbed. I can't multitask with subbed, so I have to pay attention."

"Watching a long shonen series I've already seen twice before pretty much requires me to multitask. If I weren't doing anything else, it would bore me. Sometimes I like to watch something I don't really have to think about, if that's all right with you."

"If I were watching any anime dubbed I'd get bored."

I'm a bit peeved at the moment, but that's about it. >_>
Jan 15, 2011 10:44 AM

Oct 2010
Well, I have one friend who hates dubs with a passion. Basically, he considers japanese VA's on par with Disney dubs(which is absolutely ludicrous considering Japan has some of the WORST acting talent in the world). Every time we debate about it I get hot with anger, as he consistently calls me an idiot for saying mostly English dubs are superior in terms of acting talent. Not only that, but his argument for Japanese VA's being better is that anime is a huge part of the culture over there, and thus they HAVE to be good(rather than saying they're just better). That's not true at all because, like I said, Japan is terrible in terms of acting talent.

There are of course exceptions to bad acting in Japan, but it's hard to come across.
Jan 15, 2011 12:06 PM
Jan 2007
RogueAngelX said:
Not only that, but his argument for Japanese VA's being better is that anime is a huge part of the culture over there, and thus they HAVE to be good(rather than saying they're just better).

PFFT... does your friend realize that unless it's a long-running shounen on Primetime (such as Dragonball Kai and One Piece) or a family show (Detective Conan), almost all anime in Japan is broadcast in the middle of the night where nobody except hardcore otaku will watch it?

It's amazing how some fans seem to think anime is like 'the biggest thing ever' over in Japan...
Though I suppose it's easy to make that mistake once you learn about Akiba and Comiket, but nonetheless it's not anything near a "huge part of their culture." That's like saying anime conventions are a huge part of American culture.
Jan 15, 2011 3:25 PM

Dec 2009
I'd say it's about as much a part of their culture as American animation is in ours. Regular people know enough about it, but they rarely bring it up in a dinner conversation or anything.

I don't know that Japanese acting is the worst in the world - I don't really think it's bad, even. I just think English voice acting tends to be better. Why? Who's to say. Maybe it's because anime is even more niche here in the States, so the people who choose to work in the industry have to be passionate about it. It's an uncommon-er interest.
Jan 16, 2011 10:09 AM
Jan 2008
Some of the more idiotic complaints that I have heard involve redubs of older titles, most of which were not very good to begin with. People would napalm the older dubs like they were the worst thing in the world, and yet when a new dub comes out with improvments, those said people suddenly say that the newer dub is the worst thing in the world and that the older one is superior! WTF?! Trust me, I've seen this happen on other forums, and there were dubs that fell prey to this asinine atmosphere. Akira and Laputa are my most noted examples because the arguments that the new existing dubs made by Geneon and Disney, respectively are the worst ever made and that the older ones are superior have no real credibility to them. It gets even worse when said naysayers say that the new voices are all wrong for their roles and that they should "sound exactly like the Japanese", adding that fans want the "real version with better voices and not Disney-souding junk". At this point there is just no reasoning with such people. They are simply talking out of nostalgia for the version they saw first, and not giving legitimate criticisms.

Not that all older dubs are bad. I will confess that Totoro was done quite well by Macek, but that's not to say I think the Disney version is a disgrace. On the contrary. I think both are excellent in their own right. Sadly, many many internet fans are against the new dub, even unfairly attacking the skillful people involved. And most of these criticisms are just bias against celebrities and again, the company distributing the new version. Even Nadia, which had a mediocre and very uneven dub by Streamline but received a much better, if not perfect, dub from the folks at Monster Island, has had its share of detractors. Never mind that the leads in the new dub sound like children (hey, they GOT kids to play the roles!), the voices of the original were so much better were in fact they were criticized BEFORE THE NEW DUB CAME. Now all of a sudden it's arguments like "the new dub is workmanlike and that the voices are all lifeless". Which is totally surprising to me, as I've always considered that dub one of the finest in existance (granted, you DO have to get accustomed to the accents, but since this is a European based series, giving the cast neutral ones would be a mistake).

Others would be that the actos are OTT that they "ruin the film". Well, guess what? The Japanese VAs can get OTT too, and yet viewers say they are perfect? Hello! What's wrong with putting a bit of energy into the part, especially when the said actor is having fun with his/her role?

And then there's the famous argument that "if it's not accurate, it sucks". If by accurate they mean that the script should be simply the literal translation word for word, well then, no, that's not a recipe for greatness. It only results for awkward and stiff results. Like it or not, the script HAS to be altered, mainly to sound like fluent, natural English and for jokes that can't be translated from one thing to another to be translated. Liberal translations are mostly the call of the companies in question, but as long as the actual core storyline is not changed and the dialogue overall flows smoothly, then it doesn't really matter if a few things get lost in the translation. Nor does it matter that it's not word-for-word. What's important is to capture the ESSENCE of the film, not the letter. To take the latter approach is basically to cause a handicap on the dub.

Those are just some of the examples I can think of.
Jan 16, 2011 4:41 PM

Dec 2009
I disagree with just the essence of the dub being the one and only important factor. I think the translation should be as accurate and true to the original scripted dialogue as possible, and only modified enough to flow smoothly and naturally in the English language. I'm not okay with any content being lost in translation.

And OTT = Over the top?
Jan 16, 2011 6:22 PM

Aug 2007
My big complaint about other peoples' complaints are that they bitch and moan that dubs change the dialogue too much. When you're translating Japanese dialogue into english, certain liberties have to be taken in order for the translation to even make sense. That, and I've switch audio tracks several times with different series, and the sentences really aren't all that different, and it's not even worth nitpicking over either.

Also, the 'same actor' complaint is a rather moot thing. As I believe that's more of a budget concern than anything. I can't imagine Funimation has the money to able to afford the voices of such actors as Christian Bale, or Willem Dafoe. Of course you're going to hear familiar voices, you will also hear familiar voice actors in the original Japanese too.

Jan 16, 2011 8:15 PM

Dec 2009
If anything I think a lot of the Japanese voices sound virtually identical, regardless of how many there may or may not be. If I closed my eyes and listened to Bleach's Japanese audio, I would have no clue who was talking or when, even being familiar with the Japanese voices.
Jan 16, 2011 8:54 PM

Oct 2010
XTApocalypse said:
If anything I think a lot of the Japanese voices sound virtually identical, regardless of how many there may or may not be. If I closed my eyes and listened to Bleach's Japanese audio, I would have no clue who was talking or when, even being familiar with the Japanese voices.

You also wouldn't understand what the fuck they are saying XD.
Jan 16, 2011 9:24 PM

Dec 2009
That too, of course. I'm just saying for the sake of actor versatility/ability.
Jan 17, 2011 1:09 AM

Jan 2011
I really hate when people say the dub isn't properly translated, because they assume the fansub they watched which had lots of swearing is 100% correct. I could bring up a whole list of things these anti-dub people come up with that makes me slap my head, but I'm feeling calm right now and don't wanna ruin that.
Jan 17, 2011 3:01 AM

Dec 2009
I often get the feeling that fansubbers are putting in obscenities themselves to make the dub look cut or kiddy or however they can make it look to support their groundless anti-dub claims. I don't speak Japanese, so I can't prove it, but that's my gut feeling when I'm reading them.

Then again, Sonic X comes to mind - I just don't know if it's an example or if it's the exception. If it's the former, then American companies really don't have any choice but to tone down their more kiddy... wait, what am I saying? They released Naruto uncut. So much for everything I just said. =|
Jan 18, 2011 4:49 PM

Dec 2009
I don't know if any of you are masochistic enough to read this, but... here you go. =/
Jan 19, 2011 5:14 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
I don't know if any of you are masochistic enough to read this, but... here you go. =/

A post like that is the last I ever care to read about. It's one thing to prefer subs over dubs, but to bully others for thinking otherwise is nothing but meanspirited and childish. Why can't we all just accept that differences are differences.
Jan 19, 2011 6:58 PM

Oct 2010
I commented on his profile, hopefully I get into a fun debate with this idiot.
Jan 19, 2011 8:26 PM

Dec 2009
I admittedly poked fun at him. He didn't seem to grasp that that's what I was doing, though.
Jan 19, 2011 9:07 PM

Aug 2007
I thought the all caps would have made it clear that I was joking when I typed that.

Jan 19, 2011 9:23 PM

Dec 2009
You'd be surprised how many members of this site would write something like that in all seriousness. If it was sarcastic, then I apologize for chastising you, but considering how quickly everyone assumed the worst I think it's safe to say that your message wasn't all that apparent.
Jan 20, 2011 10:26 PM

Jul 2007
"I hate dubs because they always edit the anime"
Ugh

@ Hypeathon first post: Oh my god! Thank You for putting what I've been feeling in a coherent sentence

RogueAngelX said:
(which is absolutely ludicrous considering Japan has some of the WORST acting talent in the world)

For the most part: Neither Japanese or American is inherently superior or inferior. I think it has more to do that what is good acting is differs between the regions. Though I must say I disagree with the whole "worst acting talent in the world".

XTApocalypse said:
I often get the feeling that fansubbers are putting in obscenities themselves to make the dub look cut or kiddy or however they can make it look to support their groundless anti-dub claims. I don't speak Japanese, so I can't prove it, but that's my gut feeling when I'm reading them.

I was always skeptical about obscenities in translations. On one hand people always said that the dub/ official subs takes out the curse words then in the same breathe stated that there are no curse words in the Japanese language. Huh?
coolcatJan 20, 2011 10:30 PM

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Jan 21, 2011 11:56 AM

Oct 2010
From what I have seen, Japan has some pretty terrible actors. I am talking about non-anime movies, though. If there is one thing they do well is looking dead, and I'm not joking about that.
Jan 21, 2011 3:22 PM

Jul 2007
RogueAngelX said:
From what I have seen, Japan has some pretty terrible actors. I am talking about non-anime movies, though. If there is one thing they do well is looking dead, and I'm not joking about that.

Since we are talking about anime, I assumed that you were talking about voice actors. Even though I now realize that we are not, I still think they're not. And still refer to the difference in what is good acting. Though I do think that Japanese live-action acting can be really over the top, which I don't like.

Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness bringing torment and pain to others, oh damned soul wallowing in your sin...perhaps it is time to die
Jan 21, 2011 9:32 PM

Aug 2010
There are some truly fantastic Japanese VAs. Usagi's VA in Sailor Moon comes to mind, she's brilliant.

And holy crap Hias, I totally thought you were serious about hating dubs and dub lovers. It wasn't until I read a little farther down in the comments that I saw your post here. lol.

Ok, the worst comment I've seen was on a review for the Samurai X OVAs. I posted it to the group earlier, but I'll say it again.

"Oh, and those of you who watch anime dubbed know you're not real anime fans, right?"

Or something really close to that. I wanted to reach through the screen and knock some sense into them. Unfortunately the best I could do was give the review a negative rating.

Jan 21, 2011 10:55 PM
Jan 2008
kiwigreeneyes said:
Ok, the worst comment I've seen was on a review for the Samurai X OVAs. I posted it to the group earlier, but I'll say it again.

"Oh, and those of you who watch anime dubbed know you're not real anime fans, right?"

Or something really close to that. I wanted to reach through the screen and knock some sense into them. Unfortunately the best I could do was give the review a negative rating.

I didn't think the dub for that title was particularly good, however a comment like that is absolutely inappropriate and asinine in the extreme. NOBODY should have the right to criticize others how they should define themselves as fans.

For instance, I ALWAYS watch the Ghibli movies in Disney's dubs, and there are purists out there who just HATE them and think they're poor and/or the worst dubs of all time (I kid you not). I've even heard one person say that "real fans shouldn't watch the dubs". Does my choice to watch the dubbed versions of these movies make me any less of a fan?

NO. Of course not. That argument is all the more flawed when the director in question says that "all animation is dubbed" and actually doesn't favor subtitles.

Dub quality may vary, but elitist attacks like that are just going too far.
Jan 21, 2011 11:00 PM

Aug 2010
JTurner said:

I didn't think the dub for that title was particularly good, however a comment like that is absolutely inappropriate and asinine in the extreme. NOBODY should have the right to criticize others how they should define themselves as fans....

I agree, I didn't even finish the OVAs. Although that was simply because I didn't like them. But the VAs weren't great.

Jan 21, 2011 11:06 PM
Jan 2008
kiwigreeneyes said:
JTurner said:

I didn't think the dub for that title was particularly good, however a comment like that is absolutely inappropriate and asinine in the extreme. NOBODY should have the right to criticize others how they should define themselves as fans....

I agree, I didn't even finish the OVAs. Although that was simply because I didn't like them. But the VAs weren't great.

It's a shame, too, because the guys who dubbed that title did a WONDERFUL job with their dub of "Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water" -- flawed as that show may be, the dub is one of my favorites alongside the Ghibli ones. But it shows that even otherwise competent studios can have misfires. (Surprisingly, the Ghibli dubs have avoided falling into that trap, despite there being naysayers who say otherwise.)
Jan 22, 2011 4:06 PM

Jun 2009
they bitch about:

anime dvds having an english dub (even though there's a japanese track as well)

saying japan has the greatest voice actors ever (that's subjective, but also a huge overstatement, japan has shitty VAs as well)

english dubs ALWAYS edit content (unless it was the 80s and 90s and 4kids)

change the script (mostly to match the lip flaps, but that's really not all that true)

english VAs can't act (AGAIN subjective and an overstatement)

japanese VAs have more vocal range (so do english VAs)

english VAs are in it for the money (i've heard that once in a youtube video and i HIGHLY doubt johnny yong bosch, crispin freeman, wendee lee and the like only do it to fill their pockets)

why are dub haters complete dumbasses?
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jan 22, 2011 4:36 PM

Dec 2009
JTurner said:
NOBODY should have the right to criticize others how they should define themselves as fans.

I don't completely agree with this. I've always thought that anyone who skips episodes in a series just because they're ill repute and/or filler doesn't deserve to be called a fan, and I stand by it. :P

I didn't think the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X OVA's had bad dubs at all, personally. I thought they were just as good as the final dub of the series. Unless you're talking about some Animax dubs I don't know about or something.
Jan 22, 2011 4:40 PM
Jan 2008
Lordcrab86 said:
why are dub haters complete dumbasses?

It's probably not even worth trying to find out why. It's best just to stick with liking dubs. If we like dubs, then that's what matters.

That said, I have a SERIOUS problem with anybody calling anyone names or saying nasty things to them just because of their preferences. I should know because I've been insulted at times for defending Disney's Ghibli dubs. I've been called a "Disney whore" and that I am "wrong" to think that they are good and that I should only watch the Japanese versions or the "perfect original non-Disney dubs with REAL actors".

So what if people want to watch the Disney versions or the Japanese versions? Does that make one person better than the other?

Seriously?

NO WAY.

It's just elitist BS in every meaning of the word. Hardly worth reasoning with.
Jan 22, 2011 4:44 PM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
JTurner said:
NOBODY should have the right to criticize others how they should define themselves as fans.

I don't completely agree with this. I've always thought that anyone who skips episodes in a series just because they're ill repute and/or filler doesn't deserve to be called a fan, and I stand by it. :P

I meant by insulting others for preferring dubs. That's what I object to most of all.
Jan 22, 2011 4:49 PM

Aug 2010
XTApocalypse said:
...I didn't think the Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X OVA's had bad dubs at all, personally. I thought they were just as good as the final dub of the series. Unless you're talking about some Animax dubs I don't know about or something.

The OVA's weren't terrible, I think for me personally, I just missed the old VAs. Oh and as for the Animax dub, there is one. (I'm pretty sure it's animax) You should find it just so you can see a bad dub! They changed Kaoru's name to Kerrie and Kenshins name to... Kenshee I think. Something like that. The voice actors themselves aren't bad, but the name changes... Ugh.

Jan 22, 2011 4:56 PM

Dec 2009
I thought it was Cory and Kenny. I was talking about an Animax dub of the OVA's you're talking about, though. I already know there was one of the main series.

Animax dub of the series
Modern dub of the series
Modern dub of both OVA's

#2 and #3 both use the same voice actors, so I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with them. Unless, of course, there was an Animax dub of both OVA's, in which case there would be something to complain about. That's what I was asking.
Jan 22, 2011 5:29 PM

Aug 2010
XTApocalypse said:
I thought it was Cory and Kenny.

Yes, that's right!

Jan 22, 2011 6:04 PM

Jul 2007
@ XTA: No, the OVAs had different VAs from the Media Blasters' dub of television series. The OVAs and movie were licensed by a different company, ADV Films, and used Monster Island for the ADR Recording or Dubbing.

And I thought Samurai X OVA had some pretty bad acting mostly from Tomoe, but I think the Movie was pretty good. I need to rewatch it though.

Jan 22, 2011 6:13 PM

Dec 2009
... was Kenshin's actor the same in both versions? I guess he was the only character who was in both the series and the prequel OVA. If it wasn't the same actor, I guess I just didn't notice, then. Huh. Maybe I overlooked it because it was a younger Kenshin or something. I don't know, I only saw part of one of the OVA's once a good year or so ago.

It can't be as bad as Yu Yu Hakusho was, though. The series and both movies were all licensed by three different companies, and each one had a different dub cast. The series's dub is god-like, the second movie's is meh, and the first one was so unbelievably terrible that I thought I had gotten a fandub the first time I saw it. In fact, I think a fandub with even a little effort could have turned out better than the first movie's dub. It was just that awful. =|
Jan 22, 2011 6:59 PM

Jul 2007
Richard Cansino or Richard Hayworth or whatever he's calling himself now played Kenshin in the series. J. Shanon Weaver played him in the OVAs and movies. Surpisingly the Animax and Bang Zoom! dub shares Richard as the voice of the leading man. But I'm pretty sure everyone else is different.

Jan 23, 2011 3:00 AM

Jul 2009
"Dubs are for the Illiterate"
I heard this. It pissed me off!

Stop. Calm yourself. You're an idiot.
Jan 23, 2011 3:39 AM

Dec 2009
Jan 23, 2011 5:25 PM

Jul 2007
Well people that are hard of seeing do prefer having a dub option. I think it be the same for the hard of hearing with subs. Not sure if that's the same logic because they're seriously people who have that kind of impairment. Illiterate thing is just because people are jerks trying to imply dub-prefers are idiots as oppose to handicapped.

Jan 23, 2011 5:46 PM

Dec 2009
It was a joke, Coolcat. XD

"Subs are for people who don't care about attention to detail" was a little too wordy.
Jan 23, 2011 7:40 PM
Jan 2008
coolcat said:
Well people that are hard of seeing do prefer having a dub option. I think it be the same for the hard of hearing with subs. Not sure if that's the same logic because they're seriously people who have that kind of impairment. Illiterate thing is just because people are jerks trying to imply dub-prefers are idiots as oppose to handicapped.

Calling fans who prefer dubs idiots and even worse names is definitely not the type of behavior I approve of in any way, and frankly, I don't wanna see myself get into that.

But yes, I HAVE been called that, as well as a "troll", "retard", "annoying", "Disney whore", and lots of other insults just because I like dubs and don't think they are bad. It's even more frustrating to me when those naysayers try to push their view on me and say that I should not even have my own point of view.
Jan 23, 2011 10:06 PM

Jul 2007
The sad thing is most people watch TV in their native language. Are the Japanese illiterate because they want to watch a show in their naive language. Do English-speaker automatically go illiterate when the go watch Toy Story. Though watching television and movie in general is seen by some as made for the lowest common denominator among us. Not sure why just because you are watching such things in another language removes one from such stereotypes or have a right to put it on others.

Anyway I also don't think some dub-prefers help much because I notice a lot of time they say something around the lines of "I watch dubs because I don't like/ want/ feel like reading subtitles." God, I hate coming across that kind of stuff.
coolcatJan 23, 2011 10:12 PM

Jan 24, 2011 2:27 AM

Dec 2009
JTurner said:
But yes, I HAVE been called that, as well as a "troll", "retard", "annoying", "Disney whore", and lots of other insults just because I like dubs and don't think they are bad. It's even more frustrating to me when those naysayers try to push their view on me and say that I should not even have my own point of view.

Why expose yourself to it, then? From your tone it sounds like you're really, really on-edge. I don't even bother with any anime clubs, forums, or discussions outside this one and a couple inactive ones that I started, but that's just me. Quite frankly the only reason I socialize at all is because I have no other means to kill time with.

@coolcat: Yes, it's a pain when people confirm stereotypes and undo the work that someone has put into absolving them. >_> That I know all too well. Granted, I think that's the reason that anyone doesn't watch something subbed, it just needs to be... well, better argued, to have a positive impact.
Jan 24, 2011 9:47 AM
Jan 2008
XTApocalypse said:
JTurner said:

Why expose yourself to it, then? From your tone it sounds like you're really, really on-edge. I don't even bother with any anime clubs, forums, or discussions outside this one and a couple inactive ones that I started, but that's just me. Quite frankly the only reason I socialize at all is because I have no other means to kill time with.

@coolcat: Yes, it's a pain when people confirm stereotypes and undo the work that someone has put into absolving them. >_> That I know all too well. Granted, I think that's the reason that anyone doesn't watch something subbed, it just needs to be... well, better argued, to have a positive impact.

For me it's kind of a back and forth issue. At times I really don't pay attention to what naysayers say, but other times it can really grate on me. I'm sorry if I sound too tormented, but yeah, I REALLY need to learn to restrict myself to where I should visit and socialize with.
Jan 27, 2011 5:11 PM

Feb 2010
I was just checking out someone's profile and they just so happen to have this rant I think everyone should read. Keep in mind that I myself have no problem with dubs or subs however, the person who wrote this does have a strong view towards subs.

"as all of you know. There has been a war, an ongoing war between dub lovers and sub lovers. The dub fuckers think that anime in english is okay but its not. Anime has always been supposed to have been watched in its original japanese with english subtitles. Why? Cuz the performances are always so much better! Cant you idiots see this?! So I'm typing this today to let you dub fuckers know that we, the superior sub lovers will always win this argument cuz as I pointed it's natural and it's the way anime should be watched do you fuckin understand or what!? The japanese language will always be the better of the two. In fact, its even inspired me to take up japanese as a second language! My dream is to perfect the language and watch all of my anime raw, straight out of tokyo baby. Dat way I can get it before anyone else, and learn a lot of new and super cool things about Japans culture. Because japan has always had the best culture in the world! I hope I made that perfectly clear, so, dub fuckers, stay the hell away from me and my profile cuz I watch all my anime, completely subbed."
Jan 27, 2011 5:22 PM

Dec 2009
That's Hias. I linked to his profile earlier in this thread, and he says that it's supposed to be sarcasm. Not many people seem to pick up on it, though, so you're not alone.
Jan 27, 2011 5:32 PM

Feb 2010
oh my bad it seems pretty convincing to me hahaha
Jan 27, 2011 6:26 PM

Aug 2010
haha, I did the same thing, BigLanik. I was so irritated when I read that, and then they joined the group.

Seriously,it's been said a lot, but we need a sarcasm font.

Jan 30, 2011 10:34 AM
Jan 2008
sugardiri said:
Hi, I'm new to anime english dubs! :D I used to never even consider touching the english dubs because everybody around me said they were just "terrible!". So I didn't watch them out of shame but was always interested so I gave it a chance. I started by watching Akira, Yugioh and yu yu hakusho english dubbed, in which I found the voices way better than the japanese ones. ( Yes, I know yugioh and some other animes edit the anime a lot and change things related to the plot. ) But I don't really care, I just watch both english dub AND subbed! :P (I cheat ) They both sound awesome! I just watched subs first and then dubs if they have.

Anyways I'm really out of topic here so~ stuff I've heard people say that ANNOY me is when they say they don't portray their emotions in english dub and the just generalize it! Yes there are some voices BOTH in japanese and english that just make your ears bleed but equally both english and japanese have GREAT voice actors so it's really wrong to just generalize all english dub are horrible. Don't they consider the love and the passion those English voice cast do to deliver those animes to us!!!

Like it or not, there are always going to be people who claim that the English actors are emotionless and/or unbearable no matter how much enthusiasm they put into their characters. For instance, Vic Mignogna has always been so passionate about his performance as Edward Elric, but there have been a few people who think that he is the worst offense of the dub and put in no emotion (seriously).

But should any of those people matter to you when you watch a dub you like? Absolutely not. What's most important is how YOU feel about it. If you think the actors are great, then that's what ultimately counts. You really shouldn't worry about what other people think or say. They may be entitled to their opinion, disagreeable though it may be to fans like you (and me), but you are just as entitled to yours. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just not worth dealing with or is just entitled to what they think. That's all.

As far as Akira goes, it depends on what dub you watch. The redub by AniMaze is very well done despite some lip-sync issues, but the ancient Streamline dub is quite bad and absolutely incoherent. (Oddly enough, some people think the older version is preferable, but if I ever watch this movie -- and I don't often because it's not one of my favorite Anime films -- I'd rather see it in the new dub.)

(Edited to avoid wrath from XTApocaylpse)
JTurnerJan 30, 2011 11:12 PM
Jan 30, 2011 4:44 PM

Dec 2009
JTurner said:
Anyone who tells you otherwise is just not worth dealing with.

(Or entitled to opinions)

Akira: Pretty average dub to me, but there are two dubs, so it depends on which you watched.
Yu-Gi-Oh!: I hate the dub, but I'm watching it right now anyway.
Yu Yu Hakusho: Greatest dub in the history of ever.

Very rarely do dubs cut content unless they're being modified for a TV broadcast (which is increasingly rare these days) and/or 4Kids is involved, though. They're the ones who dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh!, along with Sonic X, the first version of One Piece, and countless others left in the wake of their destruction. I don't know if they dubbed Sailor Moon or not, but I know it was modified for way back when it aired on Toonami, and an uncut dub was never made. Naruto was cut and edited for its run on Cartoon Network, but the DVD's were still released uncut and intact.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is a dub song from a children’s anime dub that you love the most?

funtime43_tr - Mar 9

0 by funtime43_tr »»
Mar 9, 9:42 AM

» Why do you like English dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

coolcat - Apr 27, 2010

325 by Edawg0066 »»
Jan 1, 10:57 PM

» English dub fan, what do you think of these Japanese dubs of American cartoons?

mdo7 - Aug 31, 2020

2 by mdo7 »»
Nov 14, 2023 5:43 PM

» What are your Top 5-10 Favorite English Dubs? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KidRyan - Mar 14, 2009

261 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Oct 13, 2023 1:55 AM

» In Defense of 4kids/New York voice actors.

funtime43_tr - Oct 25, 2022

1 by SwatKat1990 »»
Jan 18, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.