Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 29, 2010 10:53 AM

Sep 2008
I felt the whole Reuntal betrayal was a bit too forced and this is the only part of the whole series that I havent been able to connect to.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 30, 2010 11:51 AM

Jan 2008
eyerok said:
I felt the whole Reuntal betrayal was a bit too forced and this is the only part of the whole series that I havent been able to connect to.

It's a pride thing, to a ridiculously manly degree. The idea that the only reason Ruenthal didn't go for the throne himself during most of the saga, because he respects Reinhard so much, is good manly stuff. I think his character was handled very well, I mean we had almost a hundred episodes worth of characterisation, building up his ambitious nature and motivation.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jan 30, 2010 11:46 PM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
eyerok said:

It's a pride thing, to a ridiculously manly degree. The idea that the only reason Ruenthal didn't go for the throne himself during most of the saga, because he respects Reinhard so much, is good manly stuff. I think his character was handled very well, I mean we had almost a hundred episodes worth of characterisation, building up his ambitious nature and motivation.

Well I guess so. I just found it so frustrating to see how Reuenal reacted and so many lives were lost for nothing. Saying that he overreacted would be a massive understatement, in fact. And the soldiers were really stupid too; to follow him just because they thought they were fighting to remove Lang and oberstein. But this one episode at the end of the whole affair cleared most of the things for me. The guy who was sent by Reuental to investigate the assassination attempt didn't tell him it was the terraists. I thought Reuental already knew. But now that I think about it it makes sense because if he couldn't find out who did it, then he cant justify himself, and he would be bound to lose his face. So the whole pride thing makes a bit more sense now. They should have told this in the beginning, cuz then I wouldn't be holding my head throughout as if I had a nasty headache. Its a good thing Mecklinger found the truth.
eyerokJan 30, 2010 11:49 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 4, 2010 12:50 PM

Apr 2009
^yeah, its a matter of pride.. he wouldnt go to Kaiser and beg for forgiveness or such) he chose to fight) tho its not that simple to explain lol)

anyway the plot is ending and its becoming clearer...
meh
Feb 20, 2010 12:21 PM

Jan 2009
Damn that Reuenthal.... for dying before Wolfgang arrived, and ultimately losing to such spineless bastards like Truniht and Lang. In any case, he lived his life out as a man to the end. Also, he finally got to meet his son who was fortunate to be born without his heterochromatic eyes.

He made a sound call in having Wolfgang and Eva take care of him. Also there was great irony in this situation, that Reuenthal wanted to live without having an heir and ended up with a son, and that Wolfgang and Eva wanted to have kids, but could not. By giving custody of his son to him, Wolfgang will finally have the child he wanted as well as someone to always remind him of his best friend.
Feb 21, 2010 4:14 PM

Nov 2007
falkenn said:
"I was planning to live until you arrived, but it looks like I won't make it.
You're being a disgrace to your presumptuous name, "The Gale Wolf", you know?"

tears were shed
Yes. Same here. I expected they would meet, but unfortunately...

I was surprised by the end of the previous episode that they would dedicate an entire episode for Reuental's last day. It was magnificently conducted, making me feel once more the sensation of helplessness, as it happened with Wenli. Still, so many things have happened... I guess I would have so much to comment, but I simply can't bring myself to write anything right now.

One more character to my top-favorites list.

And I haven't thought about Emil being a Terraist spy before... but that's a possibility I can't ignore anymore.
May 12, 2010 7:17 PM

Aug 2008
Second saddest death. Third saddest episode.
Jul 5, 2010 7:47 PM

Feb 2010
naikou said:
Reuntal's death was second saddest after Yang's...

tainteddonut said:
Although it was shown he has been able take time to enjoy some of the finer things in life like opera and art, for the most part he's been hard at work. Even while sick he was still receiving reports and making decisions while in bed.
I've had a horrible thought. As I watched that one "doctor" kid serve Reinhard tea, I thought that maybe that kid is a Terraist. After all, the Grand Bishop mentioned getting someone close to Reinhard... and the fevers started pretty soon after that kids appearance, iirc. Damn.

Wow, I had exactly the same thought. I hope that's not the case though :/

Reuentals death was unavoidable at this point, but it was still emotional. And I LOVE him for taking Truniht with him. He sure didn't expect that.
I hope we get more Alliance in the next episodes though :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 25, 2010 5:31 PM

Sep 2009
MannyCalavera said:

tears were shed
And many at that.
Sep 26, 2010 6:41 AM

Apr 2008
Let's be honest, I shed tears, especially when seing Mittermeyer crying.
Reuenthal's acts were so remarckable,courteous, right until his death. At least, this b******d of Trunhit died.
Elfried visit with their child was meaningful : she at last seemed to care about him, and granted his last whish.
His decision to give his child to his bestfriend shows again how he esteems and cherishes Mittermeyer.
Lohengramm finally understands that he whished to fight him.

This episode was good but too sad.
Dec 2, 2010 2:50 PM

Jan 2010
this is turning rappidly into a sad soap opera were everybody dies ;(
can someone remind me why is this anime labeled as "military" over "drama"?

5/5 and Rip Reuenthal and Bergengrun
Truniht?ha ha ^^
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 15, 2011 11:51 AM

May 2010
Can someone tell me why Lang has such a lovely wife? What the hell is wrong with the universe of this Anime?

Kesler's "discovery" isn't new at all, Oberstein was already a step ahead of him. I noticed Oberstein is like Lunge from Monster, now both on my favorite character lists
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 17, 2011 1:23 PM
Nov 2010
finally Truniht is dead. It took them a while to kill him.

Ruenthal is dead which is a good thing. No offense people who have him as favorite, he and Reinhard are the character I hate the most in the series...
Apr 22, 2011 10:57 PM

Feb 2010
I still refer Reinhard as the blond brat after 98 episodes. Reuenthal's death was sad but still way below Yang's and Admiral Bucock's, but to each his own.
Apr 25, 2011 7:38 AM
Nov 2009
R.I.P Reuental... second best character in this series.
Finally that Trunhit got what he deserved.....
May 27, 2011 1:48 PM

May 2009
Truniht's death was extremely satisfying. Almost like killing Saemon Haevarian in BG2.
Jun 24, 2011 6:02 AM

Sep 2008
Just watched this episode for the second time. Cried just as much as the first time.
Aug 16, 2011 5:40 AM

Oct 2009
D: ..why does it seem like every show i watch my favorite characters seem to die? *SIGH*...
Even though i knew it was coming, I still had to hold my tears in, the universe has lost another great man..

R.I.P Reuenthal
Dec 21, 2011 5:13 PM
Feb 2011
FINALLY TRUNHILT DIES. GODDAMN.
Still.. I felt sorry for him. He looked so pathetic as he was bleeding out.

Reuenthal had SO much self hatred. He died rather unfullfilled, and that was a sad thing for me. I've only recently started to understand his character. He won't be favorite characters material, but hes one of the best in the series imo. Sad death at that.
002173Dec 21, 2011 5:19 PM
Feb 5, 2012 4:42 AM

May 2009
MannyCalavera said:

tears were shed

Buckets of tears. I couldn't stop. ;__;

Reuenthal's death was beautifully tragic - the buildup, the dying process, the aftermath.

I admit in the early stages I saw him as a stunningly handsome man with gorgeous heterochromia who was unfortunately too sneaky for my liking. That changed as we got more flashbacks and see different sides of him through his friendship with Mittermeyer. He's one of the most complex and multi-faceted characters I've come across, definitely among my favourites.

Beatnik said:
eyerok said:

Agreed, good manly stuff. My problem with his rebellion was not that it felt forced - because for me it didn't; Reuenthal was not merely ambitious, it wasn't a lust for power that drove him to rebel. As much as I hated it, it was natural why he did. My biggest issue with his rebellion was that he had to die and end yet another wonderful friendship in this show. :(

RIP Reuenthal. Your biggest flaw was your pride and your awful taste in women.

naikou said:
I've had a horrible thought. As I watched that one "doctor" kid serve Reinhard tea, I thought that maybe that kid is a Terraist. After all, the Grand Bishop mentioned getting someone close to Reinhard... and the fevers started pretty soon after that kids appearance, iirc. Damn.

Ooh, I don't like that kid all that much but that never even crossed my mind. Oh no!
Feb 19, 2012 1:22 AM

Sep 2009
I have been wondering about Emils role in everything for the longest time. Nearly every time I see him on the screen I have been pondering wtf is up with him.
Not once did I think he was poisoning.
That ideal might well be true.

RIP to the Empire greatest Admiral.
Feb 19, 2012 11:32 PM
Nov 2010
MannyCalavera said:

tears were shed

An ocean of tears.
I still can't stop. Reuenthal is one of the most fascinating and complex characters I've seen. And his friendship with Mittermeyer was so beautiful...when Mittermeyer cried...;-;
Mar 16, 2012 11:01 PM

Aug 2010
Cowabunga said:
RIP Reuental

At least Truniht finally got what he deserved.
May 3, 2012 11:21 PM

Mar 2011
RIP Fleet Admiral Reuenthal, you were a man among men. I salute you.
May 9, 2012 2:11 AM

Feb 2012
I hope we get more of Julian's side for the remaining series. In the very beginning the Empire was more interesting but for most of the series the Alliance side has been used in the story better to explore different problems. Now that the focus has been solely on the Empire the show has lost quite a bit of what made it great during the latter part of the second season and most of the third.
May 29, 2012 10:29 AM

Aug 2010
Reuental was a great man. The build up for his death was done very well. I'm glad that he shot Truniht.

R.I.P Reuental.
May 29, 2012 6:42 PM

Feb 2012
It's tragic that a man whose very birth was cursed was born with such extraordinary talent and such extraordinary ambition. You'll be missed, Reuenthal, but I can't possibly mourn your death as I did Yang's -- this was the natural conclusion to the life of a man who shouldn't have even been born in the first place.

I will say that you were one of the most tragic and most heroic tragic heroes I've seen in a while.
Jul 9, 2012 11:36 PM

Feb 2011
I am so fucking devastated, even though it was seen from miles away. So. Fucking. Devastated. I'm much sadder for Reuenthal's death than Yang's, all within personal taste of course. Yang was a great guy, but Reuenthal . . . my heart goes out for the man who's never known love. Also for Mittermeyer who chose to bring down his best friend . . .

Saddest episode yet for me.
Sep 11, 2012 6:46 AM

May 2012
Damn, a week ago I added Yang and Reuental to my top10 favourite characters and what I see few days later? Bam! Yang dies. Bam! Reuental dies. That's just so depressing ;_;
I feel so sorry for Mittermeyer - that weren't good days for him. Fighting against his best friend and Reuental's death later...
Sep 18, 2012 6:37 AM
Mar 2012
Good riddance. I was a fan of him and I always indirectly root for minor main characters against main characters, but he was disappointing he did absolutely nothing, all he had were so witty lines, and some things he said just pissed me off to the max.
Sep 18, 2012 11:13 AM

Sep 2008
Shaduge said:
Good riddance. I was a fan of him and I always indirectly root for minor main characters against main characters, but he was disappointing he did absolutely nothing, all he had were so witty lines, and some things he said just pissed me off to the max.

LOL...man, I love your posts.
Sep 29, 2012 3:20 PM

May 2009
Shaduge said:

You must be talking about Truniht. After all, I don't see how anybody with sound judgment would ever consider Oskar a 'minor' character.

Oh wait, that should explain your, erm, alternative views in these threads.
Sep 29, 2012 3:36 PM

Feb 2012
Athena said:
Shaduge said:

You must be talking about Truniht. After all, I don't see how anybody with sound judgment would ever consider Oskar a 'minor' character.

Oh wait, that should explain your, erm, alternative views in these threads.

He's obviously talking about Bergengrun. That time he appeared drunk before Kircheis-sama really "pissed me off to the max."
Sep 29, 2012 4:16 PM

May 2009
Hakuromatsu said:
He's obviously talking about Bergengrun. That time he appeared drunk before Kircheis-sama really "pissed me off to the max."

Bergengrun had witty lines? Ah, and the mystery becomes even clearer.
Jul 10, 2013 12:40 PM

Aug 2010
falkn said:

tears were shed

I didn't cry, but that was the most touching moment of the episode. 5/5.

At least the kid didn't inherit his heterochromia, he still has a chance for a better future.

Speaking of which, by now I can't even fathom Reinhard getting a happy end, conquering the whole galaxy, having a family and reuniting with his sister. Since Yang died, I don't even know what kind of ending I would like to see...I don't think they can squeeze in Julian and his followers becoming a major force and winning, not to mention I still can't like him. My hopes lie with Mittermeyer and Oberstein.
Aug 7, 2013 5:20 PM

Jun 2013
This has got to be the SADDEST death in LOGH. I teared up when Reuenthal died. :(

Thank god, Truniht is dead as well.
Aug 11, 2013 4:42 PM

Aug 2008
Sick again? I wonder if that nice kid who serves Reinhard tea is poisoning him with it for some reason? Would make more sense to me for an explanation like that than he simply has a weak body. If I recall Hilda was also sick at times in the past, drinking the same tea. Wild speculation mayhaps. :D

Can't say I feel sorry for Reuental to be gone, I don't care for his excuses for rebelling against the Kaiser after all. His stupid pride got many people killed but at least he got to go out in "glory". Bastard.

Truniht doesn't even really deserve mentioning. No doubt we're all happy that weasel is dead.
Sep 20, 2013 11:45 PM

Apr 2012
It was am another sad moment in the series. RIP Reuntal and he was one of my favorite character in this anime.

THANK ODIN THAT TRUNIHT IS DEAD.
Oct 2, 2013 6:33 AM

Nov 2009
Well that is actually kind of nice, Reuental's child will be taken care of by Mittenmeyer and his wife. Anyways, did I also sense that Reinhard might actually have more feelings for Hilda than just "she makes things run more efficiently"? I am actually hoping for that . . . But who knows.
Feb 18, 2014 2:51 AM
Feb 2011
How did Elfriede get there? By Dominic's sympathy? At least Reuental got to see his son before he died. I feel too bad for Mittermeyer, especially when Reuental prepared those drinks and he didn't arrive on time for one last drink. Goddammit ;-;

And on his last words: "Sieg sterben." Google Translate wasn't much help, and I can only assume it means victorious in death, which doesn't make sense since he died defeated. Perhaps he meant victory or death...?
Feb 18, 2014 2:24 PM

Sep 2013
Wow. I had to stop mid episode just to get on forums and write how great the first half of this episode, death of Reuenthal is. But then I realised I don't know what to really write about exactly, so I thought I'd just say it was one of the best scenes of moving image I have ever seen.

Reuenthal is the man, R.I.P

This line was fucking badass!!! BADASS I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going mad here

Deaths: Yang>Reuenthal>>>Bucock>>>>>>rest for me
cupcFeb 27, 2014 10:05 AM
Mar 30, 2014 5:54 PM

Oct 2013
Damn man Reuenthal went out like a boss. Killing Trunith, securing the future of his son and giving Mittermeyer and his wife a kid. Great acts by a great man. I'm still baffled that no one of the empirials thought to ask Reuenthal wether he had anything to do with the attempt on Reinhard, though I had to add that if they hadn't mentioned in the series when Reuenthal said "that I shouldn't explain myself if I haven't done anything wrong", I would maybe not have thought of it either. But I understand his pride, once ok, but twice, no thanks. Reuenthal I salute you.

PS: who the hell designed the ceiling of the battleship bridges :P That's just stupid design having stuff up there than can impale your admiral :p
Apr 25, 2014 2:24 PM

Mar 2013
I'm really torn here and a loss for words. I love Reuenthal, no doubt about it, and I did from the very beginning (Wakamoto as my favorite VA made this an even easier match). Nonetheless I cant help but feel frustrated by the rebellion and the result. Objectively i feel like its the weakest part so far in LOGH, and seems a bit like forced drama for the sake of drama. It's even more insulting that scum low level trash like Lang, Rubinsky, and the Terraists (Terrorists much?) have such a profound effect on things.

Still even with those issues, i salute you Oskar Von Reuenthal, RIP my friend.

Special props for killing that scum Truniht, it would have been unbearable if he survived this show, especially in a semblance of power.

Also the tempting but evil whore at least did the right thing giving the child to the Mittemeyer family. I was a bit uncomfortable with the Boy servant joining them though, although i guess its acceptable since he was Reuenthal's loyal servant.
Aug 12, 2014 7:11 AM

Nov 2013
Holy shit there was a moment in that episode where his subordinate just put the baby on the counter and walked off without keeping an eye on it. He could have put it on the floor instead and not risk it falling...

Worst arc of the series so far, sincerely hope this picks up again after this folly. The only redeeming factor of this arc is that Truniht died and Mittermeyer got a child.

Also I like the connection between Yang and Reinhard's use of their subordinates. Julian bringing tea for Yang to wake him up and keep him in good spirits. Emil bringing Reinhard tea which is most likely the cause of his fevers lol.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 13, 2014 4:13 AM

Apr 2012
Quite satisfying to see Reuental put an end to scumlord Trunith, but quite sad to see Reuental wither away. His child is kind of a memento to Mittenmeyer I guess lol and fitting since his wife is not fertile. Bergengrun's last words were more foreshadowing of what's to come.

Oct 2, 2014 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
Reuntal nice way to go out...though felt sad. Amazing character rip. On a lighter note: Rental goes through a wormhole before reaching heinessen. He ends up in a parallel world where aliens invade Japan. He becomes the chief of police and goes by the name matsudaira and can be seen hanging out with the shogun and going to red light areas.

PS truniht good riddance
Nov 12, 2014 4:10 PM

May 2013
kilmindaro said:
Dear God, I didn't know I could cry so much.

naikou said:

Me too. Strange.

Hm, he also may have tried to poison Yang when he had his meeting with Reinhard.

I didn't think about this possibility but it has some merit behind it.
Nov 21, 2014 8:58 PM

Mar 2012
All the feels ;_;
Dec 23, 2014 4:49 AM

Jul 2014
All character will be died? >:(
Jan 7, 2015 11:38 PM

Jan 2014
At least Job Truniht was taken out. All that's left is to take care of Rubinsky and De Villier.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.