MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 98 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu »» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 98 Discussion

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
View Poll Results: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 98 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

59 90.77%
4 out of 5: Liked it

2 3.08%
3 out of 5: It was OK

2 3.08%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

0.00%
1 out of 5: Hated it

2 3.08%
Voters: 65

01-29-10, 10:53 AM

I felt the whole Reuntal betrayal was a bit too forced and this is the only part of the whole series that I havent been able to connect to.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

01-30-10, 11:51 AM

eyerok said:
I felt the whole Reuntal betrayal was a bit too forced and this is the only part of the whole series that I havent been able to connect to.

It's a pride thing, to a ridiculously manly degree. The idea that the only reason Ruenthal didn't go for the throne himself during most of the saga, because he respects Reinhard so much, is good manly stuff. I think his character was handled very well, I mean we had almost a hundred episodes worth of characterisation, building up his ambitious nature and motivation.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

01-30-10, 11:46 PM

Beatnik said:
eyerok said:

It's a pride thing, to a ridiculously manly degree. The idea that the only reason Ruenthal didn't go for the throne himself during most of the saga, because he respects Reinhard so much, is good manly stuff. I think his character was handled very well, I mean we had almost a hundred episodes worth of characterisation, building up his ambitious nature and motivation.

Well I guess so. I just found it so frustrating to see how Reuenal reacted and so many lives were lost for nothing. Saying that he overreacted would be a massive understatement, in fact. And the soldiers were really stupid too; to follow him just because they thought they were fighting to remove Lang and oberstein. But this one episode at the end of the whole affair cleared most of the things for me. The guy who was sent by Reuental to investigate the assassination attempt didn't tell him it was the terraists. I thought Reuental already knew. But now that I think about it it makes sense because if he couldn't find out who did it, then he cant justify himself, and he would be bound to lose his face. So the whole pride thing makes a bit more sense now. They should have told this in the beginning, cuz then I wouldn't be holding my head throughout as if I had a nasty headache. Its a good thing Mecklinger found the truth.
Modified by koreye, 01-30-10, 11:49 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

02-04-10, 12:50 PM

^yeah, its a matter of pride.. he wouldnt go to Kaiser and beg for forgiveness or such) he chose to fight) tho its not that simple to explain lol)

anyway the plot is ending and its becoming clearer...
meh

02-20-10, 12:21 PM

Damn that Reuenthal.... for dying before Wolfgang arrived, and ultimately losing to such spineless bastards like Truniht and Lang. In any case, he lived his life out as a man to the end. Also, he finally got to meet his son who was fortunate to be born without his heterochromatic eyes.

He made a sound call in having Wolfgang and Eva take care of him. Also there was great irony in this situation, that Reuenthal wanted to live without having an heir and ended up with a son, and that Wolfgang and Eva wanted to have kids, but could not. By giving custody of his son to him, Wolfgang will finally have the child he wanted as well as someone to always remind him of his best friend.

02-21-10, 4:14 PM

falkenn said:
"I was planning to live until you arrived, but it looks like I won't make it.
You're being a disgrace to your presumptuous name, "The Gale Wolf", you know?"

tears were shed
Yes. Same here. I expected they would meet, but unfortunately...

I was surprised by the end of the previous episode that they would dedicate an entire episode for Reuental's last day. It was magnificently conducted, making me feel once more the sensation of helplessness, as it happened with Wenli. Still, so many things have happened... I guess I would have so much to comment, but I simply can't bring myself to write anything right now.

One more character to my top-favorites list.

And I haven't thought about Emil being a Terraist spy before... but that's a possibility I can't ignore anymore.

05-12-10, 7:17 PM

Second saddest death. Third saddest episode.

07-05-10, 7:47 PM

naikou said:
Reuntal's death was second saddest after Yang's...

tainteddonut said:
Although it was shown he has been able take time to enjoy some of the finer things in life like opera and art, for the most part he's been hard at work. Even while sick he was still receiving reports and making decisions while in bed.
I've had a horrible thought. As I watched that one "doctor" kid serve Reinhard tea, I thought that maybe that kid is a Terraist. After all, the Grand Bishop mentioned getting someone close to Reinhard... and the fevers started pretty soon after that kids appearance, iirc. Damn.

Wow, I had exactly the same thought. I hope that's not the case though :/

Reuentals death was unavoidable at this point, but it was still emotional. And I LOVE him for taking Truniht with him. He sure didn't expect that.
I hope we get more Alliance in the next episodes though :)
Check out our Simul Watch CLUB and join if you're interested!

Ratohnhaketon said:
I can hear the anti-SOL purists gathering outside with their plotforks.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste,
I show love 'cause it's a terrible thing to hate.

07-25-10, 5:31 PM

MannyCalavera said:
"I was planning to live until you arrived, but it looks like I won't make it.
You're being a disgrace to your presumptuous name, "The Gale Wolf", you know?"

tears were shed
And many at that.

09-26-10, 6:41 AM

Let's be honest, I shed tears, especially when seing Mittermeyer crying.
Reuenthal's acts were so remarckable,courteous, right until his death. At least, this b******d of Trunhit died.
Elfried visit with their child was meaningful : she at last seemed to care about him, and granted his last whish.
His decision to give his child to his bestfriend shows again how he esteems and cherishes Mittermeyer.
Lohengramm finally understands that he whished to fight him.

This episode was good but too sad.

12-02-10, 2:50 PM

this is turning rappidly into a sad soap opera were everybody dies ;(
can someone remind me why is this anime labeled as "military" over "drama"?

5/5 and Rip Reuenthal and Bergengrun
Truniht?ha ha ^^
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

01-15-11, 11:51 AM

Can someone tell me why Lang has such a lovely wife? What the hell is wrong with the universe of this Anime?

Kesler's "discovery" isn't new at all, Oberstein was already a step ahead of him. I noticed Oberstein is like Lunge from Monster, now both on my favorite character lists
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

01-17-11, 1:23 PM

finally Truniht is dead. It took them a while to kill him.

Ruenthal is dead which is a good thing. No offense people who have him as favorite, he and Reinhard are the character I hate the most in the series...

02-12-11, 10:15 AM

it's weird, Yang's death was so sad and yet i only shed tears when Reuenthal died. he was such a complex character that i couldn't decide if i like him or dislike him.

i finally realized how awesome Reuenthal's character is at his death and that i truly liked him. ;;_;;

04-22-11, 10:57 PM

I still refer Reinhard as the blond brat after 98 episodes. Reuenthal's death was sad but still way below Yang's and Admiral Bucock's, but to each his own.

04-25-11, 7:38 AM

R.I.P Reuental... second best character in this series.
Finally that Trunhit got what he deserved.....

05-27-11, 1:48 PM

Truniht's death was extremely satisfying. Almost like killing Saemon Haevarian in BG2.

06-24-11, 6:02 AM

Just watched this episode for the second time. Cried just as much as the first time.

08-16-11, 5:40 AM

D: ..why does it seem like every show i watch my favorite characters seem to die? *SIGH*...
Even though i knew it was coming, I still had to hold my tears in, the universe has lost another great man..

R.I.P Reuenthal

12-21-11, 5:13 PM

FINALLY TRUNHILT DIES. GODDAMN.
Still.. I felt sorry for him. He looked so pathetic as he was bleeding out.

Reuenthal had SO much self hatred. He died rather unfullfilled, and that was a sad thing for me. I've only recently started to understand his character. He won't be favorite characters material, but hes one of the best in the series imo. Sad death at that.
Modified by Spirit_of_Fire, 12-21-11, 5:19 PM

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices