MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 97 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu »» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 97 Discussion

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
View Poll Results: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 97 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

25 73.53%
4 out of 5: Liked it

6 17.65%
3 out of 5: It was OK

1 2.94%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

0.00%
1 out of 5: Hated it

2 5.88%
Voters: 34

01-16-11, 10:37 PM

Damn, Reuental is badass!

03-18-11, 3:50 PM

Great battle overall. The lower-tier admirals like Bayerlain and Grillpalzer were typically worthless, while Bittenfield, Wahlen, and Mittermeyer were awesome.

And then Reuenthal. DAMN.

Still, as much as he kicks ass, Reuenthal is pathetic from a historical perspective. He was overtly manipulated into wasting the Empire's military potential and his own life. Considering Lang would've been arrested anyway thanks to Hilde, and Mittermeyer stomped the rebels so hard that Reinhard didn't even need to show up, there was absolutely nothing gained.

08-08-11, 11:56 AM

Seabury said:
I can't deny that Reuenthal has proven manliness that puts Chuck Norris to shame

I love the discussion here.

Also, the series. Cool ep like always.

10-22-11, 3:57 PM

Reuental is such a boss " I'm just gonna pull this metal bar from my chest, while having my legs immobilized by a throne and my subordinate is behind me screaming like a little girl"

When Grilpalzer and knapfstein first appeared, i thought they could became the second generation of twin admirals like wolf and reuenthal, but in the end such a disappointment...

12-21-11, 4:35 PM

Sad how many people, driven by their loyalty to Reuntal, share in his suffering by condemning themselves to death as traitors to the Empire, all because of the actions Reuntal took that were caused by his own personal problems and feelings of self-hatred that weren't even caused by a fault of his own in the first place, but rather the fault of his parent(s)

Sins of the father indeed.

Also, alongside the obvious Reuntal and Reinhardo-sama, I'm starting to think that Mecklinger may just be the zenith of manliness...
Modified by Spirit_of_Fire, 12-21-11, 4:45 PM

02-19-12, 12:20 AM

Mecklinger has been one of my favorites from a long time.
His horribly horrible hair cut and stash just attracted me to him.
Sad he gets so little screentime with how fun of a character he is.

The artistic Admiral.

Also Grillpanzy is a fuckwad.

02-19-12, 6:37 AM

Ok, first the battle scenes. I know the strategy has so many faults but still, they kept me on the edge of my seat. I love Bittenfeld.

And then Reuenthal...I seriously started crying when the Tristan was being attacked, I thought 'no this is it for Reuenthal' and then he goes all badass pulling that metal bar from his chest. I just hope that he doesn't die in the next episode...I know all the foreshadowing (especially the narrator) is telling us that Reuenthal will in fact die...I will just ignore the narrator and hope for the best (I don't want Reuenthal to die!! ;-; )

03-07-12, 8:18 AM

Not that it takes anything away from Reuental's awesomeness, but surely someone except me thought the way that metal bar came flying was rather unnatural?

03-11-12, 7:42 PM

TanTheMan said:
Not that it takes anything away from Reuental's awesomeness, but surely someone except me thought the way that metal bar came flying was rather unnatural?

Seemed to be pretty straightforward with established LotGH ship design.

Lost track of how many people were crushed or impaled by falling beams in the bridge.

03-16-12, 8:27 PM

Reuental ;_;

05-03-12, 10:39 PM

Reuenthal is a true bro.

05-04-12, 9:59 PM

Sabinlerose said:

Lost track of how many people were crushed or impaled by falling beams in the bridge.

I like the ones that get rolled over by the Roman Columns and Statues.

05-09-12, 1:07 AM

I really don't understand all the love for Reuenthal. Basically on his side over 2 million soldiers died and who knows how many on the other side, all for his personal pride and manliness. In the end he doesn't even want to continue commanding his troops in a war he started, instead opting to forgo surgery and die of his wounds because apparently what real men do is die and leave others to take care of the mess. Where others see bravery I see vanity that killed millions. It's sad that it's come to this in a series that once didn't try to appeal to emotions with simple answers. But people seem to think that such blatant disregard for human life is a positive trait as long as the character doesn't whine when being impaled by a metal rod.

If anyone was awesome in this episode it was Mecklinger. Anyone with that haircut and moustache must be above the petty pride that has millions killed. And that alone makes him manlier than Reuenthal.

05-09-12, 8:14 PM

Feorg said:
I really don't understand all the love for Reuenthal. Basically on his side over 2 million soldiers died and who knows how many on the other side, all for his personal pride and manliness. In the end he doesn't even want to continue commanding his troops in a war he started, instead opting to forgo surgery and die of his wounds because apparently what real men do is die and leave others to take care of the mess. Where others see bravery I see vanity that killed millions. It's sad that it's come to this in a series that once didn't try to appeal to emotions with simple answers. But people seem to think that such blatant disregard for human life is a positive trait as long as the character doesn't whine when being impaled by a metal rod.

That's the reason I like him so much. He's vain, arrogant, and selfish (with self-loathing/self-destructive tendencies to boot). A complex character, perhaps not admirable, but very fascinating.

05-09-12, 10:34 PM

Feorg said:

If anyone was awesome in this episode it was Mecklinger. Anyone with that haircut and moustache must be above the petty pride that has millions killed. And that alone makes him manlier than Reuenthal.

Love the Mecklinger love.

05-10-12, 8:25 AM

Excelsior said:
Feorg said:
I really don't understand all the love for Reuenthal.... Where others see bravery I see vanity that killed millions....

That's the reason I like him so much. He's vain, arrogant, and selfish (with self-loathing/self-destructive tendencies to boot). A complex character, perhaps not admirable, but very fascinating.

I can understand that, he is admittedly an interesting character. What I don't understand is his veneration as the epitome of admirable masculinity. In many ways he seems like Katerose, although for different reasons. She puts up a tough pose so that others wouldn't really see her insecurity. In her case it's probably a result of being so young in an environment dominated by men, Reuenthal has traumas that go much deeper. In the end he does stupid and inconsiderate things to avoid looking like a fool, and even when dying he seems to be brave more because of pride than inner peace. But pride is nothing; it's a way to see yourself in relation to others and their social ideas. He's too dependent on such ideas to be a true hero. In contrast, I think Mecklinger is a better model for masculinity because he's well-rounded: a poet, a historian, a soldier, a moustachioed stallion with a deep voice and a flowing mane, not ruled by what others might think of him. Or even Reinhard, although I don't care for his pompousness; he has a vision of how he wants to change the galaxy and makes his own future no matter what obstacles he may face. He's quite a Nietzschean character.

05-29-12, 2:08 PM

Reuenthal said:
Regardless of the color of eyes or skin, the color of blood is the same for everyone, isn't it?

One of my favorite lines in the series. Let's reflect on the millions of members of the Imperial military, members of the FPA military, citizens of the Empire, nobles of the Goldenbaum Dynasty, people rebelling against Reinhard's kaisership, citizens of the Alliance, members of the coup d'etat against the Alliance, Terraists, and Phezzani that have died in the first 97 episodes -- because all of them are red-blooded humans.

Feorg said:
I can understand that, he is admittedly an interesting character.

That's my position. There's a wide difference between liking a character as a character and liking that character as a hypothetical living human being.

09-25-12, 9:26 AM

Reuental > Kenshiro

07-13-13, 9:08 AM

I literally gasped at 8:30, if you don't know what I'm talking about, just watch the episode (Or click the spoiler).

Modified by Kuandohan, 07-13-13, 6:46 PM
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn

08-07-13, 4:49 PM

That metal pierced through his whole body, and Reuenthal was able to pull it out without a flinch. Tragic injury.....sadly he won't be livng much longer :( but I fully respect Reuenthal as a brilliant and brave man.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices