Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 6, 2008 6:25 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I wonder if Reuental will get a fancy nickname like Muller? He pulled out a metal spike that impaled him and continued to maintain command even after major blood loss and passing out several times. That's got to be worth something even if he's an enemy of the Empire.

I figured Grillpalzer lost his nerve but his second defection came far too late. Knapfstein lost his life following Grillpalzer's plans. It would have been a major disservice to his sacrifice if Grillpalzer were to remain unscathed.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jun 25, 2008 7:27 PM

Mar 2008
So many good lines. Reuental telling his subordinate, in a completely calm voice and with a spike sticking out of his shoulder, that it was inappropriate for him to scream when his commanding officer is injured.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Aug 19, 2008 11:32 PM

Sep 2007
Reuental... what an awesome guy. It's too bad the narrator has told us like...19 times that he's going to die.
Jun 25, 2009 11:33 PM

Apr 2009
If you weren't paying attention to the first 96 episodes, this episode reinforced the fact on how manly Reuental is. He was impaled by a giant spike, and without even a flinch, pulled it out himself and reprimanded his subordinate for screaming.

Reuenthal has secured his place as my favorite Galactic Heroes character.

Aug 25, 2009 1:02 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Osaka117 said:
If you weren't paying attention to the first 96 episodes, this episode reinforced the fact on how manly Reuental is. He was impaled by a giant spike, and without even a flinch, pulled it out himself and reprimanded his subordinate for screaming.

Reuenthal, a true Galactic Hero....It's just sad that so many lives were sacrificed just because of the Terraist and one single man's scheming....

Again, this episode left me speechless. I don't even know what to say about this episode anymore. It was just...awesome....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 30, 2009 11:02 PM

Jun 2009
Osaka117 said:

Fuck. What a badass. That is all I have to say.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 20, 2009 6:38 PM

Dec 2008
Mittermeyer seems to have survived kissing his wife goodbye and telling her not to worry. Still, he's not home yet!
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 24, 2009 2:40 PM

Dec 2008
Reuenthal FTW! Definitely one of my favourite characters.
Jan 12, 2010 9:47 PM

Apr 2008
Good to see Norio Wakamoto still being a badass in his somewhat younger days.
Jan 23, 2010 3:31 PM

Mar 2009
Mecklinger is in my opinion on even terms with awesomeness with Reuenthal :D
Too bad he has such a little role in LoTGH.
FalkoroJan 23, 2010 5:07 PM
Jan 24, 2010 6:17 AM

Jan 2008
But he has a stupid haircut though.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 3, 2010 2:37 PM

Apr 2009
Beatnik said:
But he has a stupid haircut though.

/fail.

Silverhammer said:
Mittermeyer seems to have survived kissing his wife goodbye and telling her not to worry. Still, he's not home yet!

lmao thats also true) seeing that scene was a hint that he will die ))
tho he's winning now...
Feb 15, 2010 11:42 PM

Jan 2009
Stupid haircut or not, Mecklinger showed how great a person he is in the way he handled the whole Grillpalzer situation.

Reuenthal is such an incredible man that even when he got impaled, all he did was sit up and pull that sharp rod out without so much as a complaint.

It's incredibly sad that he should have to fall to one man's impure ambitions.
May 12, 2010 6:47 PM

Aug 2008
Reuenthal is total badass.

I like Mecklinger's campy stache and hair. He's a great character with refined tastes and compassion and having a very manly voice, to boot.
Jul 5, 2010 6:47 PM

Feb 2010
Reuentall was really awesome this episode, too bad he probably won't make it through the next episode :/.
And Grillpalzer got what he deserved. And I sure hope Mecklinger decides to tell Mittermeyer and Reinhard about the Terraists. It would hurt their pride, but they should know who the real enemy is.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 26, 2010 6:38 AM

Apr 2008
Reuenthal was full of dignity through all this episode. It is so unfair that his exceeding pride led him to rebel against Lohengramm.

Again, I discovered a good side of Mecklinger, who is too under-exposed in LOGH when regarding his abilities, inboth commanding and statements. I wonder why he hesitates so much to tell the truth about the Terrraists being behind the assasination attempt.

But then again, wow... Reuenthal is a hell of a character.
Oct 22, 2010 3:33 PM

May 2010
Mecklinger seems to be on par with Reuenthal regarding rationality and cool-headedness. I can't deny that Reuenthal has proven manliness that puts Chuck Norris to shame, but what surprised me was how spot-on Mecklinger was about everything. I have to admit I'd sort of ignored him until now. All I remember from before is how he was strategically forced by Yang to back off and seal the exit of Iserlohn cooridor, which didn't give us much idea of his abilities beyond the fact that he's not an idiot. I hope we get to see more of Mecklinger in the future.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 2, 2010 2:24 PM

Jan 2010
Reuenthal is so badass that he even deceived narrator's predictions!:)
i'm glad he gets to live for another episode...now i'm wondering what will happen to him

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 15, 2011 8:05 AM
Nov 2010
I don't get the logic of this show anymore.

It's bad being the traitor of a TRAITOR but it's ok to sacrifice millions of soldier just to prove a point.
Jan 15, 2011 11:28 AM

May 2010
SuperSaiyen said:

It's bad being the traitor of a TRAITOR but it's ok to sacrifice millions of soldier just to prove a point.

A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 16, 2011 10:37 PM

Apr 2009
Damn, Reuental is badass!
Mar 18, 2011 3:50 PM
Jul 2010
Great battle overall. The lower-tier admirals like Bayerlain and Grillpalzer were typically worthless, while Bittenfield, Wahlen, and Mittermeyer were awesome.

And then Reuenthal. DAMN.

Still, as much as he kicks ass, Reuenthal is pathetic from a historical perspective. He was overtly manipulated into wasting the Empire's military potential and his own life. Considering Lang would've been arrested anyway thanks to Hilde, and Mittermeyer stomped the rebels so hard that Reinhard didn't even need to show up, there was absolutely nothing gained.
Aug 8, 2011 11:56 AM
Jun 2011
Seabury said:
I can't deny that Reuenthal has proven manliness that puts Chuck Norris to shame

I love the discussion here.

Also, the series. Cool ep like always.
Oct 22, 2011 3:57 PM

Apr 2009
Reuental is such a boss " I'm just gonna pull this metal bar from my chest, while having my legs immobilized by a throne and my subordinate is behind me screaming like a little girl"

When Grilpalzer and knapfstein first appeared, i thought they could became the second generation of twin admirals like wolf and reuenthal, but in the end such a disappointment...
Dec 21, 2011 4:35 PM
Feb 2011
Sad how many people, driven by their loyalty to Reuntal, share in his suffering by condemning themselves to death as traitors to the Empire, all because of the actions Reuntal took that were caused by his own personal problems and feelings of self-hatred that weren't even caused by a fault of his own in the first place, but rather the fault of his parent(s)

Sins of the father indeed.

Also, alongside the obvious Reuntal and Reinhardo-sama, I'm starting to think that Mecklinger may just be the zenith of manliness...
002173Dec 21, 2011 4:45 PM
Feb 19, 2012 12:20 AM

Sep 2009
Mecklinger has been one of my favorites from a long time.
His horribly horrible hair cut and stash just attracted me to him.
Sad he gets so little screentime with how fun of a character he is.

The artistic Admiral.

Also Grillpanzy is a fuckwad.
Feb 19, 2012 6:37 AM
Nov 2010
Ok, first the battle scenes. I know the strategy has so many faults but still, they kept me on the edge of my seat. I love Bittenfeld.

And then Reuenthal...I seriously started crying when the Tristan was being attacked, I thought 'no this is it for Reuenthal' and then he goes all badass pulling that metal bar from his chest. I just hope that he doesn't die in the next episode...I know all the foreshadowing (especially the narrator) is telling us that Reuenthal will in fact die...I will just ignore the narrator and hope for the best (I don't want Reuenthal to die!! ;-; )
Mar 7, 2012 8:18 AM
Jan 2011
Not that it takes anything away from Reuental's awesomeness, but surely someone except me thought the way that metal bar came flying was rather unnatural?
Mar 11, 2012 7:42 PM

Sep 2009
TanTheMan said:
Not that it takes anything away from Reuental's awesomeness, but surely someone except me thought the way that metal bar came flying was rather unnatural?

Seemed to be pretty straightforward with established LotGH ship design.

Lost track of how many people were crushed or impaled by falling beams in the bridge.
Mar 16, 2012 8:27 PM

Aug 2010
Reuental ;_;
May 3, 2012 10:39 PM

Mar 2011
Reuenthal is a true bro.
May 4, 2012 9:59 PM

Aug 2008
Sabinlerose said:

Lost track of how many people were crushed or impaled by falling beams in the bridge.

I like the ones that get rolled over by the Roman Columns and Statues.
May 9, 2012 1:07 AM

Feb 2012
I really don't understand all the love for Reuenthal. Basically on his side over 2 million soldiers died and who knows how many on the other side, all for his personal pride and manliness. In the end he doesn't even want to continue commanding his troops in a war he started, instead opting to forgo surgery and die of his wounds because apparently what real men do is die and leave others to take care of the mess. Where others see bravery I see vanity that killed millions. It's sad that it's come to this in a series that once didn't try to appeal to emotions with simple answers. But people seem to think that such blatant disregard for human life is a positive trait as long as the character doesn't whine when being impaled by a metal rod.

If anyone was awesome in this episode it was Mecklinger. Anyone with that haircut and moustache must be above the petty pride that has millions killed. And that alone makes him manlier than Reuenthal.
May 9, 2012 8:14 PM
Sep 2007
Feorg said:
I really don't understand all the love for Reuenthal. Basically on his side over 2 million soldiers died and who knows how many on the other side, all for his personal pride and manliness. In the end he doesn't even want to continue commanding his troops in a war he started, instead opting to forgo surgery and die of his wounds because apparently what real men do is die and leave others to take care of the mess. Where others see bravery I see vanity that killed millions. It's sad that it's come to this in a series that once didn't try to appeal to emotions with simple answers. But people seem to think that such blatant disregard for human life is a positive trait as long as the character doesn't whine when being impaled by a metal rod.

That's the reason I like him so much. He's vain, arrogant, and selfish (with self-loathing/self-destructive tendencies to boot). A complex character, perhaps not admirable, but very fascinating.
May 9, 2012 10:34 PM

Sep 2009
Feorg said:

If anyone was awesome in this episode it was Mecklinger. Anyone with that haircut and moustache must be above the petty pride that has millions killed. And that alone makes him manlier than Reuenthal.

Love the Mecklinger love.
May 10, 2012 8:25 AM

Feb 2012
Excelsior said:
Feorg said:
I really don't understand all the love for Reuenthal.... Where others see bravery I see vanity that killed millions....

That's the reason I like him so much. He's vain, arrogant, and selfish (with self-loathing/self-destructive tendencies to boot). A complex character, perhaps not admirable, but very fascinating.

I can understand that, he is admittedly an interesting character. What I don't understand is his veneration as the epitome of admirable masculinity. In many ways he seems like Katerose, although for different reasons. She puts up a tough pose so that others wouldn't really see her insecurity. In her case it's probably a result of being so young in an environment dominated by men, Reuenthal has traumas that go much deeper. In the end he does stupid and inconsiderate things to avoid looking like a fool, and even when dying he seems to be brave more because of pride than inner peace. But pride is nothing; it's a way to see yourself in relation to others and their social ideas. He's too dependent on such ideas to be a true hero. In contrast, I think Mecklinger is a better model for masculinity because he's well-rounded: a poet, a historian, a soldier, a moustachioed stallion with a deep voice and a flowing mane, not ruled by what others might think of him. Or even Reinhard, although I don't care for his pompousness; he has a vision of how he wants to change the galaxy and makes his own future no matter what obstacles he may face. He's quite a Nietzschean character.
May 29, 2012 2:08 PM

Feb 2012
Reuenthal said:
Regardless of the color of eyes or skin, the color of blood is the same for everyone, isn't it?

One of my favorite lines in the series. Let's reflect on the millions of members of the Imperial military, members of the FPA military, citizens of the Empire, nobles of the Goldenbaum Dynasty, people rebelling against Reinhard's kaisership, citizens of the Alliance, members of the coup d'etat against the Alliance, Terraists, and Phezzani that have died in the first 97 episodes -- because all of them are red-blooded humans.

Feorg said:
I can understand that, he is admittedly an interesting character.

That's my position. There's a wide difference between liking a character as a character and liking that character as a hypothetical living human being.
Sep 25, 2012 9:26 AM

Jan 2011
Reuental > Kenshiro
Jul 13, 2013 9:08 AM

Jan 2013
I literally gasped at 8:30, if you don't know what I'm talking about, just watch the episode (Or click the spoiler).

KuandohanJul 13, 2013 6:46 PM
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Aug 7, 2013 4:49 PM

Jun 2013
That metal pierced through his whole body, and Reuenthal was able to pull it out without a flinch. Tragic injury.....sadly he won't be livng much longer :( but I fully respect Reuenthal as a brilliant and brave man.
Oct 1, 2013 4:05 PM

Nov 2009
Man, Mecklinger should be getting more screen time . . . That guy is actually pretty wise. I feel like he usually actually grasps someone's intentions after this episode. Many of the other admirals guess as to what someone's intentions are but fall short as to what their true intentions are. Maybe then, instead of being an admiral, he should be an advisor to Reinhard . . . But oh well.
Oct 2, 2013 1:42 AM

Jun 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
Man, Mecklinger should be getting more screen time . . . That guy is actually pretty wise. I feel like he usually actually grasps someone's intentions after this episode. Many of the other admirals guess as to what someone's intentions are but fall short as to what their true intentions are. Maybe then, instead of being an admiral, he should be an advisor to Reinhard . . . But oh well.

It is interesting that you mention that since Mecklinger did serve as Reinhard's Chief of Staff in several occasions, such as in the end of the series. Keep an eye for him =p
Feb 13, 2014 12:42 PM

Sep 2013
I can feel the death of Reuenthal coming.
cupcFeb 27, 2014 10:07 AM
Feb 17, 2014 11:55 PM
Feb 2011
Reuental... to prideful for his own good. Too much sacrifice for his own vanity, all for naught. I hate Rubinsky and the despicable Terraists (who doesn't), but you gotta hand to the conspirators to have the great Reuental dance on their palms. And to think that Knapfstein and Grillpalzer should've been the next Twin Pillars, it makes you worry about the capability of the next generation.
Feorg said:
/preach
JujikaFeb 18, 2014 2:13 AM
Aug 12, 2014 6:37 AM

Nov 2013
Reuenthal deserves better than this. The weakest arc yet contributes to his downfall?

I hope Mecklinger reports his findings or this is just going to be a farce of a finish for a great character.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 12, 2014 4:07 PM

May 2013
SuperSaiyen said:

When Yang died he thought about every single soldiers life that he had "killed". Reinhard and his autocrats only look at the deaths of fellow admirals when they reflect of the tragedies of the last 3 years.
Nov 21, 2014 8:25 PM

Mar 2012
How the hell is he still alive lol.
Jan 7, 2015 11:17 PM

Jan 2014
Grillpatzer takes the fall. In the end, his pride combined with Reuental's led to this unfortunate situation.

The only thing left for me to wonder is what Oberstein was planning for his trip to Heinessen with Lang.

And Mecklinger never gets to see any action.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 5, 2015 1:19 AM
Aug 2011
prosit said:
I don't understand the Reuenthal love...

I don't either.
I'm just going to assume Wakamoto Norio is the main reason why people love him, and if that's the case then I don't blame them.
Mar 15, 2015 1:44 PM

Aug 2014
What a waste of time for Reuntal
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.