Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 19, 2008 1:26 AM

Dec 2007
I actually loved this episode, even though I've never watched Macross Zero. (I probably will eventually, but I bet I'll hate it.) The show-within-a-show (well, really movie-within-a-show) aspect was really nice.

This one really reminded you of how complicated the love triangle (...took me three tries to spell that word >_<) between Alto, Sheryl, and Ranka really is. Take Alto out of the equation and there's a sempai/kouhai aspect, as someone already said, but I can't help wondering if eventually there won't be room for two idols of Sheryl's level and there will be a competition between them because of that. (I'd hate that, but it is possible.) This is probably one of the few love triangles I've seen in an anime where the character everyone is interested in is actually more boring to me than the other two characters. Seriously Alto could just go away and I bet there'd still be enough chemistry to make the Sheryl/Ranka relationship (no not THAT kind of relationship...though there IS a doujin out already... :D) fun to watch.

Also....Alto is now permanently Alto-hime to me, unless he does something ridiculously bad-ass.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Jun 19, 2008 3:32 PM

Mar 2008
SageShinigami said:
Also....Alto is now permanently Alto-hime to me, unless he does something ridiculously bad-ass.

Which he will have to do, as a prerequisite to a Macross series protagonist.
Jun 20, 2008 11:02 PM

May 2008
Cool episode, brought back fond memories of Zero. Ranka is kawaii!
Jun 26, 2008 10:58 AM

Jul 2007
someone once said in a true tears ep discussion thread about who the lead guy ends up with: the first girl you see in the op(in this case: sheryl). LOL. it has been pretty true 9 times out of 10(ok that was just an expression and i don't have the numbers to back that up silly people XD)

anyway, i do believe in what that person said, judging from what ive seen/remember from all the shows ive watched

*edit: that doesn't stop me from rooting for the ones i like to end up with the guy lol(go ranka!)
Jun 27, 2008 5:18 AM

Oct 2007
Ranka is the first one you see in the OP by like 1 second, new op coming soon anyway.
Jul 14, 2008 1:05 AM

Sep 2007
Heh, good thing i watched zero earlier today. . .
Jul 22, 2008 1:53 PM

Mar 2008
Excellent episode, now Ranka will be a star too ! I loved when Sheryl kissed Alto :)
Aug 14, 2008 5:33 AM

Apr 2007
Amazing episode. Aimo is so beautiful, and Ranka is full of win.

Onto next episode~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2008 10:30 PM

Jul 2008
This episode had a very nice touch to it. A connection to the past in addition to story progression. Don't see episodes like that very often.
Kind regards
Sidoen

Oct 7, 2008 3:19 PM

Dec 2007
Just a great episode. Frontier keeps on paying homage to the great Macross series that came before, while moving in its own direction. Both of the kiss scenes (the highlight of this episode, of course) really made an impression and felt so appropriate for the characters involved.

I teared up a little at the end for Ranka, I was so proud of her.
Oct 27, 2008 4:49 AM

Feb 2008

Lol. Was that a joke or something? Because that animation was TERRIBLE.

Anyways, uhhh, strange episode. I hope the next is back to the same quality as the previous ones.
Jan 30, 2009 1:39 AM

Jun 2008
Some tears come out. One of my fav eps so far, absolutely brilliant.
Mar 25, 2009 2:59 AM

Jan 2008
Loved this episode, especially the with all the Macross Zero parts in it.
Jul 5, 2009 6:31 PM

Jul 2008
SageShinigami said:
This is probably one of the few love triangles I've seen in an anime where the character everyone is interested in is actually more boring to me than the other two characters. Seriously Alto could just go away and I bet there'd still be enough chemistry to make the Sheryl/Ranka relationship (no not THAT kind of relationship...though there IS a doujin out already... :D) fun to watch.

QFT.

Alto-hime seriously pales in comparison to both girls. He's pretty much a tsundere to both girls.

BEGINNER
Sep 18, 2009 6:30 PM

Jan 2009
Damn. Alto's lucky. Both Ranka and Sheryl in one episode!
Dec 2, 2009 10:13 PM

Jan 2009
Macross Zero was so awesome! This ep was pure win!

I think the animation during the hydra battle was purposefully stylized. Though it felt totally out of place.

Dec 30, 2009 4:48 PM
Jul 2008
It probably has more to do with the animator they got to do that particular scene, it looked like something out of Yuasa's work so it might be an animator that works with him.
Jan 7, 2010 12:38 AM

Aug 2008
I realli~ dont like Sheryl *gets angry~ at her*
Jun 13, 2010 11:45 AM

Dec 2009
Alto sure loves to ignore that both girls are fallen for him...
Oct 3, 2010 7:23 PM
Dec 2009
Alto is dense in love. Unless a girl confesses directly to him, he'll understand.
Alto is funny, taking Sheryl serious and blushing while Sheryl "jokes" with it :] Love Sheryl, and her character type, I see less of these compared to Ranka's type, where I see a lot in manga.
tag©.androgynous
Nov 27, 2010 3:17 PM

Nov 2009
sheryl makes me go grrrrrrrrrrrr. ranka ftw. this ep finally had enough of her. i wish sheryl would stop pretending to be ranka's patron cuz she totally keeps screwing her over
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2010 5:01 PM
Feb 2010
Why does Brera remind me so much of sasuke from naruto? hair and lack of speech and emotion perhaps?

~ A woman's determination can move the mightiest of stones~
Dec 14, 2010 5:53 PM

Aug 2009
BOTH the kisses in one episode? They killed it. Alto killed it more.
I don't like this love triangle thing really.

And the episode was OK. I just hope Ranka won't turn bitchy like Sheryl now.

Brera FTW.
Dec 19, 2010 3:04 AM

Aug 2010
Hmm, this is the first episode of Frontier I'm actually commenting. Now...
Heck, the soundtrack of the show is unbelievable. I know there are some people who don't like some songs, but I think every single of them is astounding.
This episode, was...meh...literally...both girls kissed him? hmm, not a problem, but I already think where the story leads :D (of course, I haven't read any spoilers as of yet :D
Mar 18, 2011 11:32 AM
Jun 2010
quite a good episode, liked it
Jul 1, 2011 10:59 PM

Aug 2009
FUCK SHERYL! -______-

She can be really nice, but I hate how slutty she can be! -__-
Jul 13, 2011 10:13 AM

Jul 2010
Ranka is in a movie! Even better, the lead role!
Dec 1, 2011 3:04 AM

Aug 2010
Enjoyed this episode! More love tension between ranka, alto and sheryl!
Dec 11, 2011 11:43 AM

Jun 2008
draker said:
Oh god, what was wrong with the animation during the battle with the Hydra? I mean... crap, it was just unwatchable....

Yeah i agree, actually the artwork is the worst part. The characters have bad artwork in general and when the movement because intense then the flaws of the artwork escalate.

Ottocycle said:
Looking at the replies regarding the short fight scene, I think they would have preferred it if the producers replaced the dynamism of the scene with well-drawn still shots in a flashback?

You guys have weird definitions of QUALITY. At least to me.

My friend, is pointless trying to imitate fliud movements by spoiling the artwork with undefined lines because you are too bored to actually to the work of getting real fluid movement without having to relay on cheap tricks of sucky artwork.
Is not the first show that uses this style but it's a cheap and disgusting style where clear defined character artwork is thrown to hell because it makes it harder to make the movement seem fluid without real hard work.
Basically what they did was cheap staff.

Anyway the whole episode was a homage to Macross Zero and am happy i saw it before checking this because i would have no idea about the movie they where doing in this episode.
Quite a clever thing creating a movie in one anime that is like another anime.

That Miss Macross chick seriously didn't fit the role of Sara since Sara was such a simple girl.

Avarice said:
I've been a fan of Sheryl since this series started but in this episode, not so much. I know that she's been rather manipulative and finds amusement in toying with Alto but I thought that she took it too far this time around.

She wasn't really toying with him. she was pretending she was toying with him.

Awakened said:
anyone else wondering why rankas brother finds it ironic that ranka plays the role of (dr.) mao?

I'm surprised no one else commented on that.
MonadDec 11, 2011 12:15 PM
Dec 17, 2011 6:59 PM

Feb 2009
Nice tie with Macross Zero, it kinda makes that series important to the Macross world and not just "another OVA"

AnywAy I loved the fight with the hydra, I prefer that style of animation much more than the CGI dogfights (which are very beautiful on their own right)
Jan 3, 2012 4:46 PM

May 2011
Nice animation, le fu.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jun 15, 2012 2:43 AM
Dec 2010
They should made stand alone anime of this Movie thing in this episode, it caught my interests :)
But i can't stop myself from feeling that there just not enough episodes, its already episode 10 and nothing happened so far, which would be ok if we had another 26-39 episodes left to watch at this point (like at prequels). I hope the end will not be unnecessary rushed.
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Aug 2, 2012 2:09 PM

Sep 2011
The animation at the Hydra scene made me LOL. Episode was pretty awesome regardless though! Dat kiss. =p
Jul 24, 2013 10:23 PM

Mar 2012
"He who dares, wins."

If memory serves, most anime romances end up with the one who gets the first kiss....I mean...this show is all about clichés isn't it?

As much as people hate Sheryl, she is the probably the sole influence for all of Ranka's accomplishments thus far.

But really though, I hope this show takes a turning point sooner rather later, If I wanted to watch a romance I would have picked up the most recent school RomCom....I want action!

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Aug 29, 2013 2:08 PM
May 2013
I'm glad I've watched Macross Zero before this , this episode is full of spoilers.

Sheryl is always few steps in front of Ranka.
Apr 26, 2014 8:25 PM

Jan 2013
Lulexiaa said:
FUCK SHERYL! -______-

She can be really nice, but I hate how slutty she can be! -__-
Kissing a guy you like isn't slutty you dumb shit
Aug 10, 2015 11:11 PM
Aug 2011
guh these characters are so bland and they just don't seem to get any better
Aug 31, 2015 5:43 AM

Nov 2011
Why does Macross Frontier exist
Why does Macross Zero exist
Why does every Macross besides Choujikuu and Ai Oboete exist?
I'm okay with Macross Plus, but like the title, they should have plused the episodes.
But everything else should not exist.
Fuck my life. I'm wasting my life on this shit. Why
Nov 5, 2015 8:38 AM

Feb 2013
Fuck you Sheryl.

Ranka is best girl without a doubt.

Jan 6, 2016 8:23 AM

Aug 2015
Weird animation strikes again, and finally Ranka is on the road to stardom thanks to "that" scene lol
Aug 8, 2017 12:29 AM

Nov 2012
Really liked the animation during the fight scene. I couldn't find out who the animator could be sadly. It was just really interesting how it showed them flying moving across the ground and the camera tracking them. Otherwise it was a bit out of place. It made no sense however how alto got to her so fast. From how i imagined it, i thought Alto was on the other side of the island considering Ranka took a car to get there.

Overall it was a great episode, especially for those who watched Macross Zero.
Apr 13, 2018 4:25 PM

Jan 2013
Loved the references to Zero. There also was a reference to Plus - hydras were from Eden. Though they looked more like some Digimon creatures, lol xd
Aug 20, 2020 10:39 PM

Mar 2015
Ok, I really love how this franchise has its characters making/watching films based on previous shows in the series.
Aug 23, 2020 5:44 AM

Aug 2017
Weren't the events of Zero considered a military secret? did...did they recreate the whole island inside a ship??

If Leon truly doesn't know Brera...then maybe Grace indeed

Brera was "injured" so much that his metallic "bones" were shown yet in the next cut he's fine. And then "injured" later again... I think his blade was a bit too short to cut so much...

I wonder how did they film and act underwater.

that Hydra fight scene was incredibly reminiscent of Viral from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, everything from Brera's character design, to the way he fought, to the animation (except the Hydra itself..that looked like it was out of Pokemon or something).

Wow, nice catch. I agree that Brera appeared kinda conveniently though (however you can justify it by saying that he's interested in Ranka for some reason). To recover his past...His cyborg-like nature suggests he's from Galaxy of course, which makes me suspect Grace once again. I have a guess that Brera is Ranka's brother who miraculously survived the Vajra encounter but needed a serious cybernetic operation in order to keep on living...and both he and Ranka forgot their shared past...just a speculation

First Mao actress didn't deserve this... but they continued filming nevertheless. I liked how Ranka took Alto's advice about acting with her heart seriously after she saw that kiss :3

That hydra...I think it was implied that Vajra have some effects on them or the environment in general

Apparently Alto also participated in a love scene while performing as a princess xD

I wonder who was Alto going to play as a woman at first...

The man who gave Leon info had a woman's voice...another cyborg from Galaxy?

What was Sheryl's role in the film after all? Writing a theme song?

P.S. What happened with the length of Alto's hair during the kiss?
St0rmbladeAug 26, 2020 4:46 AM
Mar 17, 2021 9:51 PM

Jan 2010
Oh hey, it's Macross Zero. Characters getting swapped out for the in-universe movie version threw me off hard though. Also, if I recall correctly, the story of Lynn Minmey in post-SDF Macross,

That being said, I can't tell if Sheryl is trying to claim Alto first, or is trying to push Ranka to go further than herself, both in terms of being a songstress and in romance. Macross Frontier is once again throwing quite a few twists and turns with the franchise's past and present. Lastly, I love that the in-universe film's credits were used in place of the episode's credits. Great touch.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by sserpens »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - May 15, 2008

72 by Antanaru »»
Dec 31, 2022 11:36 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 21, 2008

123 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Nov 19, 2022 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.