4, Ouran High School Host Club , vol 15
5, Naruto, vol 49
6, Hetalia Axis Powers, vol 1
7, Bleach, vol 33
8, Heart no Kuni no Alice ~ Wonderful Wonder World ~, vol 5
9, Yotsuba&!, vol 9
10, Rosario + Vampire season II, vol 3

Source: NY Times Manga Best Seller List
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 8, 2011 3:03 AM
Dec 2009
Previous week rankings:
Jan 8, 2011 6:04 AM

Oct 2009
Nice to see Ouran getting better <3

But, Vampire Knight... when this vampire trend will end?
SuouAoiJan 8, 2011 6:46 AM
Jan 8, 2011 7:20 AM

Jul 2007
SuouAoi said:
Vampire Knight... when this vampire trend will end?

correction: "vampire" trend. Bram Stoker's Dracula novel was awesome as was the film adaptation, Nosferatu movie was awesome, "Interview with a Vampire" movie was awesome and so on and so on and so on. real and realistic monstrous gothic vampires is a separate genre from disco-pires.

as long as twishit and other meyer-style disco-pires exist. Seriously "disco-pires" do not deserve to be called vampires as apart from "baw fangs and blood" they are too ridiculously different from real and old vampire concept

-----

This top list disappoints me. Again.
Jan 8, 2011 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
its a shame yotsuba&! dropped so far.
Jan 8, 2011 9:28 AM

Jul 2009
yay for hetalia...on there TWICE
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2011 9:28 AM

Jan 2010
Nice seeing Ouran and Kuroshitsuji top Naruto and Bleach. Although Vampire Knight should gtfo.
Jan 8, 2011 9:40 AM

Nov 2008
banzai naruto and bleach
Jan 8, 2011 10:31 AM

Aug 2009
WOW, Hetalia's had quite a successful week! Other than that, though, not much changed on the list. Vampires and shounen continue to reign for the most part!
Jan 8, 2011 10:32 AM

Aug 2009
WOW, Hetalia's had quite a successful week! Other than that, though, not much changed on the list. Vampires and shounen continue to reign for the most part!
Jan 8, 2011 10:58 AM
Oct 2009
Cool ^ Hetalia's first! I still need to get my copy of that second volume...XD
Jan 8, 2011 11:31 AM

Jan 2010
HETALIA ! & Heart no kuni no alice =D
Jan 8, 2011 1:40 PM

Feb 2010
Yes! Finally another manga tops Vampire Knight. Hopefully it will be knocked off the list soon.
Jan 8, 2011 6:56 PM

Apr 2010
wow Hetalia way to rock out and own the rest

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jan 9, 2011 8:54 AM

Mar 2009
Poor Yotsuba at the bottom. :c
Why the hell is Vampire Knight so popular? OTL
Jan 9, 2011 11:11 AM

Dec 2009
Why is everyone so annoyed at Vampire Knight ? Nobody forces you to watch/read it . Some people like it. I think there's no harm in this . Also, comparing it to Twilight is overused , besides , unlike Meyer's disco-fantasies , Hino-sensei's vampires have fangs , don't mind killing and drink HUMAN bood.

Grats ,Hetalia :D ! You are probably the only thing that made history easier to memorize (at least for me) !
Jan 9, 2011 11:55 AM

Mar 2009
head-go-boom said:
Poor Yotsuba at the bottom. :c
Why the hell is Vampire Knight so popular? OTL

bishie vampires.
.....or something.... >.>
<i>When all else is lost, the future still remains</i>
Jan 9, 2011 3:24 PM

Apr 2009
Only Nr. 9 is worth reading...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 9, 2011 6:25 PM

Sep 2009
alwaysbored said:
Why is everyone so annoyed at Vampire Knight ? Nobody forces you to watch/read it . Some people like it. I think there's no harm in this . Also, comparing it to Twilight is overused , besides , unlike Meyer's disco-fantasies , Hino-sensei's vampires have fangs , don't mind killing and drink HUMAN bood.

Grats ,Hetalia :D ! You are probably the only thing that made history easier to memorize (at least for me) !

Maybe because people don't bother with their research.
Sort of like you when you made a fool out of yourself by saying Sparklypires don't eat people and drink human blood.
They do. Just a few don't.
-shrugs-

===

Wewt.
Good to see Hetalia up there.
Jan 9, 2011 6:26 PM

Dec 2009
Go Hetalia!
Jan 9, 2011 8:16 PM

Dec 2010
I have to agree with alwaysbored about the Vampire Knight hate and Twilight comparisons... it's insulting to compare it to Twilight, first of all, and second of all, Vampire Knight, even though for a while it was really painful to read through, is starting to pick up again and has grown up since its days of Zero and Kaname glare offs, and it's a lot more mature and complex then Twilight could ever hope to be. I have ALWAYS been a vampire aficionado and vampires have generally been a reoccurring popular theme in American culture--I'm really not surprised it reemerged, it comes back every decade or so (despite the more annoying come back in some cases this decade, incomparable to classics like Near Dark, Interview with the Vampire, Lost Boys etc. ^.^.) I'm genuinely interested to see what's next in the series, and I have a feeling Vampire Knight is going to stay up there--yeah, probably because of Twilight's influence, and the bishies, but also because tons of Americans are obsessed with vampires. Simply got to accept it I suppose :)

And @Fai, I would hardly compare VK vampires to discopires. They actually have merciless, ravenous blood seekers that aren't vegetarians who shop at Whole Foods and the villains actually have teeth (no pun intended ;) ). Not once has any character decided to get fur stuck in their teeth rather than chomping on a human. There have been a lot of worse cases of it lately, believe me xD

(These are all of course personal opinions, and I do not mean to directly offend anyone, Twilight is simply not my cup of tea.)
SpiritedSarahJan 9, 2011 8:24 PM
Jan 9, 2011 11:51 PM

Jan 2010
Huh, people really like Hetalia. I'm kind of surprised it's doing so well Stateside. The anime episodes I saw of it seemed a little too "out there" to get good sales like this.
Not surprised by Vampire Knight, though the last volume really weirded me out.

I've seen Alice in the Kingdom of Hearts on these lists a lot. Is that a good shoujo? I don't hear people talk about it much, but it's apparently selling well.
Jan 10, 2011 12:10 AM
Jul 2018
Why the hell is Hetaila so popular? It's pretty shit.
Jan 10, 2011 5:32 AM

Jul 2007
-Clay- said:
Why the hell is Hetaila so popular? It's pretty shit.

Three reasons:
1) yaoi fangirls.
2) because of the natur eof the show. It takes jabs and parodies certain countries. Due to the size of the cast, everyone can findd their hated country in there ;]. Human nature.
3) because it portrays a lot of countries. Despite most of them having only comedic vlaue and being parodied, it still warms the nationalistic pride in the consumers.

SpiritedSarah said:

And @Fai, I would hardly compare VK vampires to discopires. They actually have merciless, ravenous blood seekers that aren't vegetarians who shop at Whole Foods and the villains actually have teeth (no pun intended ;) ). Not once has any character decided to get fur stuck in their teeth rather than chomping on a human. There have been a lot of worse cases of it lately, believe me xD

(These are all of course personal opinions, and I do not mean to directly offend anyone, Twilight is simply not my cup of tea.)

alwaysbored said:

DO they die in the sunlight?
Is the only way to kill them by stabbing them with wooden stake?
Are they afraid of garlick and crosses?
Do they NOT have some ridiculous superpowers?

Just being a Bloodsucker does not make you a genuine vampire.

There are a lot of requirments for them being genuine and awesome. Of course (as far as I know) vk "vampires" do not act like discoballs in the sunlight, but they still deny a lot of major vampire rules and are more like a generic different-from-humans race, complete with superpowers and magic, unlike the unholy walking dead that vampires are.

While its not as drastic ad bad as twilight, the popularity of twilight and the twitard population IS the major factor on why it is popular since in tone its still a romance fiction targeted at teenagers. and has two main characters angsting at each other and less focus on , you know actual vampires and vampyric nature, with more focus on how sad and how in love they are.
Jan 10, 2011 6:45 PM

Dec 2010
I happen to like Vampire Knight because it also happens to be a very political story (and somewhat deep if you look at it as a criticism of racism) compared to the majority of vampire tales that are simply about the walking dead (only other anime/manga tale that comes to mind is Dance in the Vampire Bund atm but I'm not too exposed to anime and manga) but sometimes that part of the story is forgotten because of the assumptions made about the fan base *shrug* Actually a lot of the angst seems to come from the vampiric nature (well, maybe the division is more like: 1/3 angst dedicated to vampire nature issues, 1/3 angst for love triangle issues, and 1/3 angst dedicated to dark mysterious past stories, but vampires are pretty much what caused everything to become messed up in the first place xD )
Most vampire stories don't follow "genuine" vampire stories anyway--original vampire legends didn't even involve vampires that burned in the sun, Nosferatu started that, and Hollywood created its own cast type which we now consider a "genuine" vampire. Anything that can suck human blood is basically considered a vampire nowadays, but VK vampires are very gothic vampires, "Dracula types" (turn into bats, some wear capes :p, nocturnal, use coffins etc.) so perhaps they can be considered closer to the original type of vampire than more recent depictions, but there are so many variations and definitions of what a "true" vamp is so it's all subjective.
This isn't supposed to be a discussion on vampires anyways so I'll stop ranting there :p
Jan 11, 2011 3:42 AM

Apr 2009
SpiritedSarah said:
I happen to like Vampire Knight because it also happens to be a very political story (and somewhat deep if you look at it as a criticism of racism) compared to the majority of vampire tales that are simply about the walking dead (only other anime/manga tale that comes to mind is Dance in the Vampire Bund atm but I'm not too exposed to anime and manga) but sometimes that part of the story is forgotten because of the assumptions made about the fan base *shrug* Actually a lot of the angst seems to come from the vampiric nature (well, maybe the division is more like: 1/3 angst dedicated to vampire nature issues, 1/3 angst for love triangle issues, and 1/3 angst dedicated to dark mysterious past stories, but vampires are pretty much what caused everything to become messed up in the first place xD )
Most vampire stories don't follow "genuine" vampire stories anyway--original vampire legends didn't even involve vampires that burned in the sun, Nosferatu started that, and Hollywood created its own cast type which we now consider a "genuine" vampire. Anything that can suck human blood is basically considered a vampire nowadays, but VK vampires are very gothic vampires, "Dracula types" (turn into bats, some wear capes :p, nocturnal, use coffins etc.) so perhaps they can be considered closer to the original type of vampire than more recent depictions, but there are so many variations and definitions of what a "true" vamp is so it's all subjective.
This isn't supposed to be a discussion on vampires anyways so I'll stop ranting there :p

What a load of bs.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 11, 2011 9:36 AM

Sep 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
SpiritedSarah said:

What a load of bs.

As opposed to your opinion which was just NO U.
The other person sort of wins that argument or dare I say debate on technicality alone. S/he actually has n opinion while you.....have a "NO U".
Jan 12, 2011 10:23 AM
Aug 2010
Kuroshitsuji, Ouran High, and Alice in the Country of Hearts!!!
"To define is to limit."
--Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

1 by ZXEAN »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

22 by Piromysl »»
4 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.