How would you rate this anime?
Jan 7, 2011 9:15 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Kuuchuu Buranko

MAL Anime Information Page: Kuuchuu Buranko

MAL Score – 8.27 (by 3617 users)
Ranked - #195
Popularity - #815

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Kuuchuu Buranko was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
28 Yes - 62.2%
17 No - 37.7%

37 Don't know this manga - 59.6% of the total number polled
0 Abstained - 0.0% of the total number polled
santetjanJan 23, 2011 6:46 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 7, 2011 9:26 PM

Mar 2010
Full of gimmicks and tries to be witty, but unlike Tatami Galaxy, it ultimately fails. The mish-mash style of real life and animation may be refreshing to some, but it's nothing new. Some stuff that irks me:

Mayumi is hawt, but her only purpose there is to show cleavage.

Tearing of the calendar is a nice idea to mark the time frame, but again it's merely a gimmick. If they are able to tie several stories together, it could be a masterstroke on their part. However, the only stories that barely show any relevance to each other are the ones about cellphone-obsessed kid and his father.

Too much obsessive–compulsive disorder. Funny? No.

Overall, I think it is a decent watch but not enough to get a yes vote out of me.
Jan 8, 2011 12:21 AM

Oct 2008
Full of gimmicks and tries to be witty, and like Tatami Galaxy, it ultimately succeeds.

is what i think
Jan 8, 2011 1:44 AM

Sep 2008
I don't like to compare it to Tatami Galaxy, but in a way, I liked Trapeze a bit more. Sure, it is full of gimmicks, but then again a lot of anime relies on such gimmicks to be unique. Trapeze is just fun; it's never snobbish deep in any way. Every episode is refreshing and never boring. On retrospect, I kinda understand now how people dismissed Irabu Ichiro as a character on the previous spotlight, but I still say he was such and entertaining character.

This anime is an easy yes for me.
Jan 8, 2011 2:16 AM

Sep 2009
I second the two above posts.

Also, I should just point out that this is basically the ultimate group watching anime. This probably isn't the first thing that would come to your mind when you think of a "Guys Night" show, but it really works for it. I've been watching it with a group of friends, and it works perfectly for the occasion. For one, it's very funny. For another, it makes for a great group participation exercise in that we each try to work out what animal will represent them, and after that, why the specific animal is representing them, what their problem is, what's causing their problems, etc.

I may have preferred Tatami, but this is an easy yes for me.
Jan 9, 2011 2:29 PM
Sep 2009
I haven't seen this, but now I have every intention to. Anything being compared to The Tatami Galaxy is sure pique my interest.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jan 10, 2011 7:02 PM

Aug 2008
I don't really understand the comparison to Trapeze, since the most direct comparison is to Mononoke. Both were made by the same team, have the same format, and have the same kind of overall style.

And Trapeze is much weaker on every front, though it was still good and enjoyable. Just not exemplary.

No.
Jan 11, 2011 11:56 PM

Jun 2010
I agree to Lind_L_Tailor.
its pretty fun to think what animals represents what.
Favorite was the young human animal form:D

Characters where memorable even if they were just almost in one episode each.
The disorders were pretty varied and are pretty realistic (They even got a real doctor to explain it for us XD)
ultimately it serves to make us laugh and give some insight on the human mind.
As well as giving thought that some disorders can actually be capitalized upon :D

A yes for me.

Animation - 8
Sound - 8
Characters - 10
Story - 9
Enjoyment - 9

Total of approx - 9

Animation

Animation will take some getting used to. The realistic painting type is what it uses as well as some cut outs and such. Looks like there's a slim budget for this one, kind of reminds me of shaft. or maybe it just picked that kind of animation. But once you feel at ease with the animation, its actually not half bad, the shading and realistic streak of the animation pulls the viewer closer and makes it all more relate-able. Various quirks and additional surreal hints are drawn in to give insight on the current situation. it tries to visually explain the situation.

Sound

~ Kiss kiss kiss, kiss kiss kiss ~ The right sound for the right situations. Enhances the scenery whether it is to cheer you up, psych you out or just be damn depressing, they will hit you subliminally for that nice dramatic effect.

Characters

The characters are memorable and have very distinct personalities and disorders. Even if they almost just appear in 1 episode they are surprisingly fleshed out. And dare i say relate-able for those with the tendencies to these disorders XD (P.S. read my personality test in my page :P) These personality disorders are some of the most common insecurities of humans and these characters delivers them in a non overly dramatic manner.

Story

There's no real main overarching story in here. But the stories of each episode and each character is pretty much already solid . Solid story telling in just 30 minutes, almost western animation like. The resolution to each is not always obvious but they always make me feel warm and fuzzy when it hits the noggin and every little quirky "treatment" Irubu made the patient do comes together and ultimately solves the problem, but not always :P.

Enjoyment

Watch it with your friends, this will increase the enjoyment even more. over all I would say I was surprised that i enjoyed it as much as I did. I went in with big skepticism and the art style made me think "Oh this is another one of those trying hard to be deep kind of anime". No, no its not. Its a deliberately fun and psychological ride to the human mind.

P.S.
May have some bias due to just being freshly watched. i disclaim all excitement relating to this post... MEh!!!.... JUST KIDDING XD PSYCH! And rightfully so! Pun totally intended
omnimon3000Jan 12, 2011 12:17 AM
Jan 14, 2011 3:51 AM

Dec 2007
I was one of those that nominated this series. More than an induction, I think Trapeze deserves a watch and that's why I nominated it. Voting yes, nonenthless.

But let's say some words about this.

First, the art. It was really nice to see Mind Game's art outside of a movie, and on an episode basis. I think the art really created a perfect environment for the development of mental disorders. Taking the seriousness out of them, it makes it easier for the viewer to connect with the character, not with the problem.

The characters were memorable. When I talk about characters I talk about each patient. Irabu and the Nurse are just there to guide the story and serve as mediators between the characters and their own understandment of their problems. Each character is an individual, that has a past and a future. I think this "future" is a very important element. Usually stories end with "they lived ever after, happily or not", but on this case it's more like "and they lived in this certain way for a while after".

The music was great. They could have ruined this series with silly toon sound effects, but they didn't. This was a relief. The OP is on my MP3, as I love it.

And finally the story. The story is interwined with the characters and does not exist per se. On this case, I don't think that's a bad thing. It's a series that talks about people, so it makes all sense that the people are the story.

All in all 8/10 and a yes. Definetely worth a watch.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 16, 2011 7:52 AM

Oct 2008
The only real reason that I found myself voting yes for this series is because I couldn't deny that it was geniunely interesting. It's art was a great deconstruction of the everyday photo copied character designs. It's obsessive breaks from animation to live-action continued to offer texture to this hybridization between the two media formats. The other gimmicks as others have stated, worked well in this series which was in itself an effective backlash to the run of the mill homogenized crap that is being pumped out of Japan right now. The music was interesting and didn't distract me from the story, the plot examined some of the many psychological dilemmas that people face in everyday life and when it was over I was satisfied with what I had just watched. When it ended I actually started reflecting on the psychological deficiencies that were laid out and how they related to my life. A particular one that struck home was the whole anxiety episode about the President. Others have already discussed this being their favorite episode, and it was for good reason. We all generally walk around wearing our ego's like costumes. Sometimes image, also discussed in the child actor skit, can distort reality. I found many of these stories to be very therapeutic is some twisted manner. Even the vitamin shots, which appeared to be for the doctors own shot fetish, seemed to be saying more. It was saying we are all sick, even the doctor treating you has problems. Sometimes we all need someone to give us a wake up call. Trapeze chose to make that wake up call a shot of vitamins administered by a seemingly Gothic nurse with an abundance of cleavage. I'm still not sure what her role was other than fan service but I'm guessing her character could be viewed as Charon type character that lies in-between life and death or mentally stability vs.insanity. She herself appears to be a psychopath afraid of men with friends because she doesn't like people.

I don't think that Trapeze successfully jumped into a category of it's own for originality of course, it's animation styles, non linear plot, and psychological examination have been done before by already mentioned Nakamura's earlier work Mononoke, Yuasa's Mind Game, and also Maeda's Gankutsuou but it does offer an interesting episodic story that is fun to watch and even has some societal messages worth a little self reflection. I'll also add that I'd probably only recommend this series to people who don't like non-linear plot designs and bit of pulp with their entertainment. 7/10
Orion1Jan 16, 2011 7:58 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.