MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 1 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica »» Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (8) « First ... « 4.6 5.6 [6.6] 7.6 »
Poll: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 1 Discussion

08-27-11, 10:26 PM

Rasco said:
IT was just below decent but im sure things will make more sense as i keep watching

all for fun.fun for all

08-28-11, 11:47 PM

controlmajortom said:
Wow, that was incredibly boring.

I'll give it one more ep before deciding to drop or not.
Give it two more please.

09-05-11, 11:33 PM

MUAHAHAH.
wtf?

09-05-11, 11:35 PM

BrickBreak said:
PrometheusZero said:
Also, how crazy are those classrooms?
Very crazy. They based the design off an Austrian prison!

On that note, Mitakihara's architecture has loads of references to real-life buildings.

whoa crazy stuff!!
seriously. what kind of damn luxury prison is that!?!?!?

09-11-11, 6:20 PM

Monad said:
Don't like the character design and not a fan of magical girls especially when they come with cute little animals but there were some interesting elements. I can imagine a lot worse and cheesier ways of starting a magical girl story so I guess they didn't do an awful job.

I will watch more episodes before i start forming an opinion. At least it had made me intrigue enough to watch more.
Why the Hell Monad always steals the exact words I wanna say? xD Not kiddin tho I don't mind cute little animal-like sidekicks... But seriously the start was so different compared to the middle and then towards the end the anime became weird once again.... There's still lots of mysteries to solve but certainly the way it was portrayed was awesome and really interesting... This Dark Magical Girl Settting is really new to me and is great to experience something different.

By the way for those who didn't like this first episode or dislike the genre or any other reason why they hate the episode, try a pair of ways to avoid the hate: Forget everything else and just enjoy the show having fun with it or avoid it at all costs...

It was an interesting start... a classic slice of life middle part, an interesting intro to a character that might be good but bad at the same time, a unexplainable transition and a really psychedelic closing scene... Really... Butterflies and then Mr. Pringles-like Cotton/dandelion thingies.... What was that... Oh and don't forget the muskets... Cool formation by the way.... Really what was that? xD Oh and I like the cool buildings... Really well made... I really like the futurist feel they add to the show

Oh and the audio... It was top-notch... Obviously Yuki Kajiura-sama did and awesome work with the BGM and Kalafina was great too... and also the VA's were great... again I liked Madoka's VA that contrasted a lot with her charac design...

I'm really intrigued and I still wanna watch the anime. Okay the animation ain't perfect has lots of discrepancies like the bg's vs the characters, especially Madoka and the Green-haired Friend, but seriously it was a great start ^^

Signs,
Green
Modified by rebwaters, 09-11-11, 6:24 PM

10-22-11, 1:18 PM

Too much cutesy -_- but the story looks interesting so far.

I really don't like these designs though.

10-26-11, 3:47 AM

I thought it was a great first episode :D

The characters were really interesting, and the storyline has got me definitely wanting to know what'll happen next :D!!

11-27-11, 10:37 PM

The plot and characterization so far adhere to Magical Girl conventions, but the execution made this episode entertaining. Also, glad to see that Shaft laid off the nonsensical camera angles and pretentious drivel that plagued Bakemonogatari and adopted a much down-to-earth visual and writing style. The character design also grew on me by the end of the episode, and I knew when I heard the music that it was Yuki Kajiura.
Modified by Hayatempest, 11-28-11, 2:26 AM
Kihel:"from Dianna Soreil to Dianna Soreil."
Dianna: "from Kihel Heim to Kihel Heim."

12-04-11, 8:38 AM

Shaft just take magical girls anime into a whole new level~

The story kinda interesting so far, with the character design quite unique and cute. The music is something that is very impressive in my opinion. I really get the feeling of this episode due to the music used and lastly, the voice actor cast is very fitting or each characters so far =)

01-01-12, 8:09 AM

Incredible art style, interesting plot and characters. The opening minutes were very unexpected and mind blowing!

It's made a great first impression on me (its living up to the recommendations so far), I'm intrigued on how the story may develop.

01-11-12, 12:21 AM

Not sure if i should continue watching.
I really loved the background (Reminds me of Bakemonogatari), but the plot is kinda.. i dont know.
Might give it a try only cuz SHAFT is boss.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

01-12-12, 6:21 AM

KyonSmith said:
Not sure if i should continue watching.
I really loved the background (Reminds me of Bakemonogatari), but the plot is kinda.. i dont know.
Might give it a try only cuz SHAFT is boss.

Believe me,after just 1 episode you know nothing about the plot ;)

this is fate zero writer X shaft , trust them!
all for fun.fun for all

02-10-12, 4:10 PM

I forgot how amazing that first episode is!

I just got my Limited Edition Vol 1 in the mail, and it's so win!

The box is baller, the cases are fantastic!

The extras are awesome as well, especially the postcards with the preview images!

The poster and stickers are awesome, I will definitely be getting Vol's 2&3 limited edition.
Will be pre-ordering them soon!

Urahara Out!!

02-10-12, 9:03 PM

I tried to watch the live stream of the first ep. dubbed but my computer executed an epic fail. I think I caught two minutes near the beginning and that was it.

02-15-12, 2:19 PM

Damn, this show is much better then I remembered.
Really like the mix of atmosphere or cute school life and psychological thriller these first few episodes.
4.5/5 for the first episode.

02-17-12, 4:39 PM

Well, god damn does this look fantastic on Blu Ray wow.

Nothing really plot wise however, looking forward to see where this goes.

04-11-12, 1:57 PM

That was... strange. XD It switches from being dark to cutesy and back again. I'm not too sure about the animation--at times it looks amazing and then it looks weird at others, but hey, I've heard good things about this so. I'mma keep watching.

The music's really good, too. owo *is already in love with the opening theme ahaha*

04-16-12, 10:53 AM

What on Earth?

04-16-12, 12:13 PM

I have no idea what to think...
Half of it was girlier than the first episodes of Nanoha and half of it felt like I was high :D The visuals were sometimes good (like in the dream scene), but the one in the plaza was ridiculously weird.
I heard many praise for this anime so I really hope that it won't focus too much on the Mahou Shoujo aspect. Can't wait to see the psychological thriller parts and the big OMG change which everyone talks about, since it is a very short anime I will surely not drop it.

04-16-12, 8:39 PM

This is certainly different from what I expected. This episode had a couple of silly cliches, but then again, every anime does. Very entertaining first episode.

04-16-12, 11:41 PM

I hated it... it was pretty boring. The only reason I continued to watch was because a friend kept nagging me.

04-25-12, 7:03 AM

Mixed feelings on the art style. I hate the moe character designs, but the bits at the end with the... witch? ... were awesome and surrealistic. Also, the opening minutes of the episode were epic.

Plot is showing a lot of promise from the start. Why so much hostility between the two magical girls? And Akemi's warning. Is she really a bad guy, or just trying to keep Madoka from a horrible, awful life?

Needless to say, I just finished Bokurano, so I have no faith in the adorable mascot right now.

Everything was top notch in this episode. Definitely 5/5.

04-25-12, 7:20 AM

Interesting opening, too. Is that representative of how Madoka will be transforming in future episodes? By pressing her nude body up against the nude body of her clone? LOL

Kind of reminds me of Hikaru and Nova from Magic Knight Rayearth.

06-06-12, 10:16 AM

My first Mahou Shoujo; but I suppose this won't be about cute girls happily jumping around and casting spells. Might be interesting.

And I want a cat now and name him Kyubey.

06-12-12, 8:22 PM

That was totally not what I remembered watching when I actually watched this specific episode was first aired on tv last year.

06-19-12, 2:36 PM

Wow. I don't know what I was expecting from this, but the kick-ass episode I just watched was not it. It was so awesome! The characters are awesome and the plot seems pretty cool too. Totally makes me want to watch more ASAP. Kyubey's contract was weird - "become a magical girl and get a wish". And Homura is a lot darker than I expected from this anime. Great first episode.

07-04-12, 11:28 AM

The first episode was ok in my opinion. The music was especially brilliant. :)
(≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ❤

07-04-12, 5:29 PM

Neko0chii said:
The first episode was ok in my opinion. The music was especially brilliant. :)

Yuki Kajiura.

If you liked the music in this episode, you are in for a treat for the rest of it.

07-28-12, 4:13 PM

Was ok, enjoyed it a bit. The art was great.

08-17-12, 3:03 PM

First "magic girl" anime that didn't make me want to vomit after the first episode. The art + psychological feel has given me a good first impression.

Does anyone happen to know what song plays about one minute into the episode, when it shows the building floating in the air with lots of floating rocks around it?
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.

08-17-12, 3:53 PM

Laraso said:

Does anyone happen to know what song plays about one minute into the episode, when it shows the building floating in the air with lots of floating rocks around it?

MAGIA

08-25-12, 8:01 PM

VictimOfFate said:
What the hell did I just watch.

This. ^

Idk if I should drop it or not..........
One more episode and I'll decide.

Art style is interesting. I have mixed feelings for it too. I hate character designs and the weird surrealism but the scenery and setting art are very nice.

09-06-12, 4:38 AM

Normally I'm not big on mahou shoujo and too much moé doesn't appeal to me either, but I've heard so much about this show that I just had to start watching it.

1st impression. Great art and an original visual style (it is SHAFT after all), the backgrounds are amazing; the soundtrack is very pleasing and complements the story. Voice acting is solid. The story so far is not the most original thing ever, but it's ok.

The one thing that is really jarring is the character designs. I don't like this stylized cutesy form, specially when it makes characters seem younger than they are. Madoka looks 8 for crying out loud. But I guess you cannot do a real successful anime this days without pree-teen characters so I guess I'll just have to get over it.
“If it were a third-rate TV anime, a dead protagonist can come back to life at the producers’ convenience. But the world we live in is not such a convenient place. Lost lives will never return. Because of it, we live in a world where a life is an irreplaceable existence.”

10-01-12, 10:01 AM

Marzan said:
Normally I'm not big on mahou shoujo and too much moé doesn't appeal to me either, but I've heard so much about this show that I just had to start watching it.

1st impression. Great art and an original visual style (it is SHAFT after all), the backgrounds are amazing; the soundtrack is very pleasing and complements the story. Voice acting is solid. The story so far is not the most original thing ever, but it's ok.

The one thing that is really jarring is the character designs. I don't like this stylized cutesy form, specially when it makes characters seem younger than they are. Madoka looks 8 for crying out loud. But I guess you cannot do a real successful anime this days without pree-teen characters so I guess I'll just have to get over it.

I think that this is one way of "tricking" the audience with the tone of this show

10-14-12, 3:13 PM

Interesting start of this Anime! Quite strong visual style and a nice way on presenting the special world, the first mahou shoujo transformation was also quite nice, lets see if this anime has potential to be a successful mahou shoujo anime!

10-28-12, 3:29 AM

I watched the TV version of the first episode on 20 May 2011, after which I stalled it and forgot about it for a long time. I've been planning to watch the BD version for a while so I decided to do start it today. I skipped through the first BD episode a bit to revive my memories a bit.
Great start to be honest, amazing amazing. And that strange magic world.
Just a strange show in general, but interesting to watch. I'm looking forward to more.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.

10-29-12, 10:01 PM

Been avoiding this anime because the girls looked like they came straight out of sailor moon in all the pics then people would say it was on of the best anime so I was stunned to see it look like Bakamonogatari in some scenes the art doesn't annoy me that much the animation is so well done also the beginning reminded me of black rock shooter.
Should have known its done by shaft. -_- they specialize in this kinda animation

12-30-12, 5:31 PM

I'm currently re-watching this. I have to say the animation is a little iffy, especially considering what type of anime genre this is. But the music is brilliant, as expected of Kajiiura Yuki & the plot seems very original compared to most mahou shoujo anime. I can't help but download the next episode right away!

01-02-13, 8:53 AM

controlmajortom said:
Wow, that was incredibly boring.

I'll give it one more ep before deciding to drop or not.
me to suspected much more tough

01-12-13, 1:40 PM

very weird but i kinda like it and i love the soundtrack and ED song..gonna watch ep 2 >< .

01-12-13, 11:06 PM

what year is this anime in? it's really futuristic

01-12-13, 11:07 PM

what year is this anime in? it's really futuristic

01-29-13, 5:00 AM

First thing first, bad art. I was kinda shocked to see that the MC and her friend aren't really shocked to see the transformation of that girl, and that talking cat? Kyubei.. can't stand the art but probably could get used to it after a few more episode
Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 50 - Best series of the season.
"The heart moves where the heart will." - Twenty Fifth Baam, Tower of God

02-05-13, 7:34 PM

The only part I truly enjoyed in this episode was Madoka's father. FINALLY a non-transvestite (hopefully...) father who cooks for his family! :D

Yes to breaking gender rolls.

03-06-13, 12:09 AM

I saw the first episode last night and holy cows it was great. The music and art were amazing. I almost started drooling when I saw the first scene and the end. I hope they story and characters will keep up, because if so, this is will be awesome.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

03-20-13, 6:47 PM

that... thing... xD is strange xD

03-28-13, 11:21 PM

Wao, its been a long time since I watched a mahou-shoujo anime...
Its interesting... and the music is awesome.
know your place.

04-18-13, 10:31 PM

Huh, I was not expecting to like that as much as I did.
Someone recommended it to me because they liked it a lot, but I'm not much of a magical girl type.
But the darker themes have caught my attention...!

04-30-13, 4:04 PM

@anthony59237
Yeah, I too am wondering what time period this is set in. I mean, the school looked so futuristic with its glass walled classrooms and everything.

Wow! This is just as good as I was expecting, maybe more. I'm definitely liking the story, the art and the music so far.

About Madoka's dream, it's definitely one of the strangest I've seen (but nicely animated):

The Kaname bathroom is gigantic! Is it just me, or is this too many makeup products for one person:

Madoka seems to have a really nice family. I'm hoping nothing happens to them later...

And the award for "Best Looking Clock in Anime" goes to:

Lol at Sayaka teasing Madoka:

Why is Homura (apparently) trying to kill Kyuubey? She doesn't seem to want Madoka to become a Mahou Shoujo. I wonder what it is that she lost.

The art for the illusion/barrier thingy looked great:

Mami to the rescue:

I didn't realise she had this many guns:

There certainly are some dark vibes so far (mostly from Homura).
Looking forward to the next ep! ^^

06-17-13, 7:13 PM

I got the same vibe that it was dark OP. Especially because of the weird beginning, the part where Madoka and Homura are walking to the "nurses office" and then, of course, the part where Madoka and Sayaka save Kyube from Homura.
I'm liking this so far! I was thoroughly entertainted through that whole episode. I really like the art style as well. It's different from other mahou shoujo anime I've seen. (Which isn't very many)

Pages (8) « First ... « 4.6 5.6 [6.6] 7.6 »
Advertising     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy