Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2011 8:58 AM

Nov 2009
I was quite impressed, Im not really a big fan of the whole Mahou Shoujo thing but this one will be on my watching list all the way I think.

Madoka's Mum is pretty cool too, knew I'd like her from her first interaction with Madoka =)
Jan 9, 2011 10:01 AM

Jan 2008
Oh. My god. That was amazing. Love it!
Jan 9, 2011 1:09 PM

Mar 2008
Wow, that's quite an impressive but unusual mix of styles in this anime...

Anime characters like Hidamarki Sketch, graphic style like Bakemonogatari but somewhat grotesque like the Persona series, and some magical girls too? Looks like to be a great one :)
Jan 9, 2011 1:57 PM

Jul 2009
OShoranO said:
Nanoha > This.

Man I lol'd for five straight minutes.
Jan 9, 2011 3:34 PM

Apr 2009
Kyube is f*cking evil, I just know it...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 9, 2011 3:51 PM

Feb 2010
Detective said:
OShoranO said:
Nanoha > This.

Man I lol'd for five straight minutes.

Man I facepalm'd for five straight minutes.
Seriously, how can somebody they that based on the first episode?
Remember Nanoha's first episode? It was just <i>bad</i>. 'cept for the last five minutes or so. And now look at the rest of this series.
Jan 9, 2011 6:34 PM

Mar 2008
WOW! I could say I am truly impressed with this series and I am indeed truly glad to have discovered this anime! The music is amazing (as expected of Yuki Kajiura), the visuals are stunning at the same time (in some scenes) creepy. I also have yet to understand about why Shinbo Akiyuki, Aoki Ume, Urobuchi Gen and SHAFT are so appreciated, and I am willing to understand why.

The opening theme is upbeat catchy yet it has a part of its lyrics where it sounds sad and is somehow related to the series about what might happen. The ending theme sounds dark as well as the part where the song was introduced!

The story is interesting for me and I am really looking forward for it! I should really be ready for depressing stuff to arrive soon knowing how people refer about Urobuchi Gen's works.

The animation is at its best when it comes to action scenes and Mami's transformation scene, at the same time there are awkward-looking animations at some scenes. Maybe they are saving money for more action scenes for the future episodes, especially near the last few episodes?...

Also... What lured me into watching this series in the first place is that it is Yuki Kajiura composing the music for Madoka Magica, plus Kalafina is singing the ending theme! And not to forget the possibility for this series to show bits or more of yuri. XD And I am seeing Homura x Madoka so far. I wonder now if what Japan would call this pairing. I thought to myself "HomAke". ^^'

I was truly surprised about Yuki Kajiura composing music again for another mahou shoujo series apart from Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome, where both of their music has touched, amazed and inspired me! Not just in Mai-HiME/Otome, but for all other series she composed for. I don't care if some are repetitive or some tracks sound the same from other series like what other people said. (I even survived watching Haruhi's Endless Eight without complaining anyways. XDDDDD)

And lol! So I pray... Unlimited Musket Works. IT WORKS! XDDDDD
The soundtrack played there and also in Tomoe Mami's transformation scene is wonderfully epic!

Now I am really, really looking forward for the OP, ED and soundtrack releases! And so are the future episodes! Can't wait! XD

EDIT: I apologize for that flood of similar comments hours ago. Perhaps MAL isn't working well with me. *bows*
Jan 9, 2011 8:40 PM

Jan 2010
I j*zzed when i heard "Magia" by Kalafina = 3 = (Btw Magia is the song played in the very beginning of the anime.)
Jan 10, 2011 2:18 PM

Jul 2010
Wow, thanks to sankakucomplex for mentioning this.

The dream at the beginning was pretty nice, reminded me of M.C. Escher ;)

My thoughts while watching:
The animation overall was... uhm... well, I don't like it.
What kinda school are they going to? Looks like some half-ass "we are futuristic" stuff.
Also how she got into that mess in the CD Shop perplexes me.
And then butterflies came on and the room turned into a WTF and I went D:

I don't think I will watch this to the end,
except maybe if Homura turns out to be the good one. That would be interesti- oh wait, please don't let that happen.

For now: This Anime = WTF
Chances for a 10/10 = 0.043%
Chances that I will bother watching ep2 = 50%
Jan 10, 2011 3:27 PM

Oct 2009
I'm a fan of Nanoha. And just watch Nanoha the movie after finished Madoka. I'm almost laugh while remember many scenes seem similar.

I think Madoka's first episode intend to have gimmicks to tribute Nanoha's first episode. Since two series share the same director - Akiyuki Shinbo.

Beside that. Art style and music are awesome.

4/5 - Still hope for more original in next episode.
Jan 12, 2011 9:06 AM
Jul 2009
I don't know what it is about this anime, but I have never looked forward to episode 2 of any anime other than Glass Mask more than I have for this one (MSMM). I even watched all three seasons of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha to pass the time! It just seems so different from all of the other animes of this genre, I'm really looking forward to it!
Jan 13, 2011 1:44 AM

May 2010
SHAFT is just amazing.. but the story's still lacking something.. will watch to see it develop..

and ClariS and Kalafina themes? yes! :D
Jan 13, 2011 9:17 PM

Aug 2008
I love the whole style behind it. I'm actually quite jealous of how clean and stylish and modern most of the architecture appears to be. I want Madoka's house! It's beautiful. Everything else is of course still somewhat confusing. I wasn't a bit surprised that that girl in her dream ended up being a transfer student who was great at everything. I am surprised by how darkly the episode ended. What's the relationship between these magical girls and why is the transfer student trying to kill that bunny-cat thing that creeps me out?

Jan 16, 2011 7:12 PM

Nov 2007
whoooaa. might legit be my guilty pleasure show this season. i should've known shaft can pull off a genre like this LMAO. madoka's mom is badass.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON HIS LITTLE BROTHER OH MY GOD. SO ADORABLE. ;o; /irrelevant to the show but w/e w/e.
Jan 17, 2011 6:14 AM

Sep 2008
It's like a drug trip movie I saw on a drug trip...
entauri.deviantart.com

Jan 24, 2011 1:35 PM

Oct 2009
McRib said:
Unlimited musket works out of nowhere.

lol yeay, now I know where it reminded me of xD
Jan 25, 2011 9:01 AM
Jul 2010
That was wired... I mean it.

The art and music were amazing though I always feel like the characters don't blend in the background when I'm watching something by SHAFT. The story... Well, not much to say right now. It's still the first episode.
Jan 28, 2011 10:18 AM

Mar 2009
Awesome!
Jan 29, 2011 9:49 AM

Jul 2010
stunning art and sound track.
Jan 29, 2011 8:34 PM

Jan 2008
Oh wow. I haven't seen a first episode this mindblowingly awesome in a loooong time and, if this keeps up, it could well warrant a 10. Maybe it's just the relations with Nanoha, Saya no Uta and SHAFT that are making me squeal with fanboyish delight over this, but I reckon this could be REALLY fucking good.
Jan 30, 2011 4:04 AM

Aug 2010
controlmajortom said:
Wow, that was incredibly boring.

I'll give it one more ep before deciding to drop or not.

This.
Feb 1, 2011 10:17 AM
Jan 2011
looks like they throw the label "psychological" on just about anything now.
Feb 4, 2011 1:22 PM

Dec 2008
VictimOfFate said:
What the hell did I just watch.

^ +1
Towards the end I started to feel like I was on some kind LSD trip!
Akemi frightens me.
I want Kyubei for a pet.
Feb 5, 2011 3:31 AM
Mar 2010
Majokko and dark-dramatic-psycho plot!!!!
OK I'm very curious for this anime, it seems new type of majokko series....

next to 2nd ep
Feb 8, 2011 7:45 PM

Oct 2008
It's so freaking colourful. O_O
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 11, 2011 3:50 PM

Dec 2010
Wow. This was...actually really good. Surprise Shaft Awsomeness!! But this seems so far to be the most promising of this season's shows, so it better not mess up this great opening!
"Ah yes, the demon drink...'Nature's Alzheimer's' they call it"
Feb 13, 2011 12:43 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, glad I decided to pick this show up after all XD
Beginning and ending parts were so epic. Music is great ;D
Anyways, the characters are pretty interesting so far (love that blue haired girl XD)
Hmm ... animation is nice and smooth? Yea, looks really interesting so far haha XD
Feb 13, 2011 1:00 PM

Aug 2008
Don't have much to say for this first episode besides that I love the whole style behind it. I'm actually quite jealous of how clean and stylish and modern most of the architecture appears to be. I want Madoka's house! It's beautiful. Everything else is of course still somewhat confusing. I wasn't a bit surprised that that girl in her dream ended up being a transfer student who was great at everything. I am surprised by how darkly the episode ended. What's the relationship between these magicl girls and why is the transfer student trying to kill that bunny-cat thing that creeps me out?

Feb 15, 2011 12:26 AM

Mar 2009
It's kinda confusing so far but I liked this episode.
Feb 24, 2011 7:40 AM
Jan 2010
HAHAHAHAHA MAHOU SHOUJO MEETS SZS OPENINGS
Feb 25, 2011 2:31 PM
Dec 2010
My mind ..... it is full of fuck. Seriously what the hell did I just watch.

McRib said:
Unlimited musket works out of nowhere.
lol
Mar 26, 2011 1:08 AM
Mar 2009
Well that was a complete troll to the Mahou Shojo genre. In a good way.

The Witch background animation thingy seemed REALLY off with the regular animation.

Ending song kicks so much ass too.
Apr 9, 2011 3:37 AM

Feb 2011
the happenings are pretty much to expect in magical anime
i thought it's going to be more badass <.<
Apr 9, 2011 8:20 AM

Jul 2010
I was just browsing through the top anime list and this showed up at #47 with a score of 8.59. I never really gave the mahou shoujo genre a chance, and I sure as hell wasn't expecting this show to be so well-received. And so I figured this would be a good place to start.

Definitely wasn't expecting the show to be this dark--it's an interesting spin on the (I'm guessing) typically high-sugar, super frolicky atmosphere of other mahou shoujo shows. The animation and art style are stunning at times, and, with Shaft's involvement, I'm reminded of Bakemonogatari at certain spots.

Definitely continuing with this, though hopefully the hiatus ends soon.
Apr 14, 2011 12:31 AM

Jan 2011
What the fuck did I just watch?
Apr 15, 2011 8:25 PM

Dec 2010
Nice, but confusing...
Apr 16, 2011 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
interesting show..

#47 ranked and possibly for good reason,

might be right up my alley in terms of what id like to see, but its WAY to early to judge ... will admit its unique and one of a kind..
Apr 18, 2011 2:27 PM

Jan 2010
VictimOfFate said:
What the hell did I just watch.

Agreed.
But in a good way.
That battle had me thinkin' that I was totally trippin ballz.
o-e
5/5
Apr 19, 2011 5:30 PM

Feb 2010
Wow I'm surprised how much I liked this first episode considering I'm not into the magical girl genre. The opening sequence is amazing and I really like the direction it's going.
Apr 25, 2011 9:56 AM

Apr 2009
The art was... well, disappointing for my tastes...

Maybe not the whole art, but just how the characters are drawn.

Either way, it's quite refreshing and entertaining. A bonus too for a realistic family :3
Apr 25, 2011 10:03 AM

Jan 2008
hottbill said:

The beginning of the greatest show of 2011.
Apr 25, 2011 9:25 PM
Nov 2009
I didn't think it was exactly boring, but it was quite serious :( My mum came into the room and watched for about 30 seconds before suddenly shouting "CHILL OUT EVERYONE, HAVE SOME ORANGE JUICE" ^_^; That pretty much summed up my feelings as well.

But if artistic merit is what interests you in an anime, there can be absolutely no doubt that this was an amazing first episode :)
Apr 26, 2011 11:25 PM

Jan 2011
MannyCalavera said:
hottbill said:

I doubt it, I dropped this show after this episode. Maybe I'm missing something since I haven't seen any Mahou Shoujo
Apr 27, 2011 11:33 AM

Oct 2007
Lilah said:
My mum came into the room and watched for about 30 seconds before suddenly shouting "CHILL OUT EVERYONE, HAVE SOME ORANGE JUICE"

Your mom is awesome.

Trying this out since it's so hyped. I hope it will become more entertaining later, the first episode wasn't that interesting to me.
Apr 27, 2011 11:40 AM

Dec 2010
hottbill said:
MannyCalavera said:
hottbill said:

I doubt it, I dropped this show after this episode. Maybe I'm missing something since I haven't seen any Mahou Shoujo
You're missing ep 3. That's the minimum threshold for dropping Madoka in good conscience.
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Apr 27, 2011 12:02 PM

Oct 2007
hottbill said:
MannyCalavera said:
hottbill said:

Episode 3 is when the story really starts.
Why make episodes 1 and 2 then? to know that you'd have to rewatch them after seeing episode 10.
all for fun.fun for all
Apr 27, 2011 12:09 PM

Dec 2010
totoum said:
hottbill said:
MannyCalavera said:
hottbill said:

Episode 3 is when the story really starts.
Why make episodes 1 and 2 then? to know that you'd have to rewatch them after seeing episode 10.

It's more than that, in my opinion. These two episodes are important to setting the story, and the start points for character development.
"Tonight, I sit in the eye of the storm. As fire boils around me, I press forward, winds and lightning lashing my wings. I am no match for what I face. Yet I will not back down, and though fear may place it's stranglehold on my heart, courage will see me through. With tears in my eyes, I hit full throttle. My engines become an inferno, and my weapons light up, awaiting my command.

If I die tonight, I will do so fighting for everything I believe in."

Apr 27, 2011 12:25 PM

Oct 2007
BrickBreak said:
It's more than that, in my opinion. These two episodes are important to setting the story, and the start points for character development.

Oh I'm not saying that people can skip the first 2 episodes,it's just that episode 10 gives them a whole new meaning.

I'd like to also say to hottbill,look at the most recomended anime for Madoka:it is NGE,that should tell you something.

And to anyone starting the show now:reading the wiki page of an episode after seeing it is a great companion and I think would enhance the viewi,ng experience.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Episodes
all for fun.fun for all
Apr 28, 2011 7:03 AM

Apr 2009
BrickBreak said:
hottbill said:
MannyCalavera said:
hottbill said:

You're missing ep 3. That's the minimum threshold for dropping Madoka in good conscience.

This.
Apr 28, 2011 10:47 PM

Feb 2008
this series is trying way too hard to be weird, though I probably wouldn't mind it as much if I hadn't just watched 3 episodes of C.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1541 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.