Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 9, 2013 2:56 AM

Feb 2010
What to make of it... As a final ep it was conclusive enough.
Finishing a villain with Zakuro Wunderwaffe might be anticlimactic if this show was about fighting, I'll pass it as ok. I kind of hoped for Daidai to be redeemed and live to be less foolish with her sister.

A plus from me for Omodaka changing his mind and returning, if not in a spectacular manner as I'd like it : Lt.Hanadate returninig as if nothing happened to give his subordinates supervision and occasional trolling, bringing another young talent (Byaku~) to the flock, anyone? :3

Romantic wise (and what's I'm in for with this series) it was very good. Those goodbyes almost brought a tear in my eye, especialy Susukihotaru and Riken. Still no "confession" and no kiss with those two! But it was as good, if not better.

Agemaki got one, though. And it was tsunderish and great with Zakuro, quite satisfying, they also made a lot of funny moments.
Twins and Ganryuu were fun too. That's where I would be uncomfortable to see a kiss :D

Come to think of it, I like how it is with Riken and -Hotaru. I hear traditionaly Japaneese did not view kising like westerners and those epic hugs are more to my liking, that's how I'd also like to show those feelings in his place. My favourite pairing in these series.
When kissing was mentioned, I wonder why Susukihotaru blushed so fiercely - perhaps she remembered something? :D

I want a whole season just about Riken and -Hotaru, oh well. It never will happen because everyone is Ecchi these days. Ecchi is a cancer that kills anime >_<

Iilia said:

I would have liked to've seen more between Riken and Susukihotaru, but their embrace was priceless.

I loved the part with the two kids coming in and tattling on Agemaki and Zakuro. But the best part by far was Agemaki sulking just to get Zakuro to admit her feelings.

Aggreed on both. Less is more (intense?:) And Agemaki will be a fine tsundere-handler :D

Also Byakuroku is sexy as, well... and looks good with Ha-- Omodaka. I'm glad I wasn't wrong in assuming it will happen.

Overall, while I greatly enjoyed many parts of it untill Zakuro abduction "arc", I don't feel like rating the series very high. I do believe anime creators did what they could to make some sort of conclusion with the material they had to the point it was decided to deviate from manga (too late to introduce new characters, need an ending of sorts) And they didn't try to make it more things at once than they could handle, which didn't left loose ends. I'd give it a strong 8/10.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
May 19, 2013 2:50 PM

Apr 2013
I'm glad to see Zakuro and Agemaki kissing, but I felt the ending still could have been better. Zakuro reciprocating Agemaki's feelings was pretty cute, though.

I agree that the anime, overall, was quite enjoyable up until Zakuro was abducted. Given that I watched this show for the romance, every time Omodaka got near Zaruko I felt really uncomfortable. And although it was interesting to see Zakuro and her mother's pasts, the plot in the last few episodes didn't really engage me. I didn't really care about Omodaka. The transition from Zakuro and Agemaki being cute in episode 8 to Zakuro hurting Agemaki in episode 9 to their kissing in episode 12 was, in my opinion, poorly handled with many, many gaps. That said, I was still able to enjoy the show as a whole, though I wish I could have gotten more romance, and by extension, more enjoyment. 7/10 - good.
Jun 17, 2013 3:34 PM

Mar 2012
After finally finishing this series, I'd like to start by quoting the ever beautiful spider queen Rangui and what she said to Byakuroku "Finished with your cheap drama?"

Cheap drama it was....perhaps the most clichés I've ever seen in an anime before. I found most things to be pretty obvious and hardly suspenseful, for the most part the romance was crap. I think this was the first anime I've watched where I was far more interested in a side romance (Susukihotaru and Riken) rather than the main romance (Kei and Zakuro)....It was hard to care for their romance because she was a total douche to Kei the entire time, and I find it hard to believe that at the end I'm expected to cry or remotely show emotion to her announcing that she actually does love him, I felt like it was a joke.

Perhaps the worst offense an anime could do is turn the "evil" antagonist into just an antagonist deserving of remorse. It's as stupid as the possibility that Hilter somehow turned out to be just a troubled person, and therefore deserves remorse and compassion.

All in all, this particular anime tried to be far more than what it was, and in end it wasn't pretty.....5/10...nothing special, just your average anime

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 21, 2013 10:50 AM

Aug 2011
Venom900 said:

Perhaps the worst offense an anime could do is turn the "evil" antagonist into just an antagonist deserving of remorse. It's as stupid as the possibility that Hilter somehow turned out to be just a troubled person, and therefore deserves remorse and compassion.

Because being violent against a repenting offender works so much better right :o? haha nvm, not gonna open that can of worms, as for my thoughts on the anime regarding my enjoyment factor, I scored it a 9/10 very few animes have been able to captivate me within the first few episodes. I have to admit after i read the description i wasn't too impressed and the synopsis actually made me hesitant because it sounded different from what i was used to seeing in my romance anime, of course Differences and change can sometimes be a very good thing, I like the whole layout of the anime, I loved the characters, I llked the story (although that wasn't the focal point), and best of all they didn't pop out one of those open ended romance endings, i really despise those, even though this anime did have it's main couple i loved how they were willing to look at the other characters interactions as well, it was very neat. In short i'd love if they ever made a S2, im a bit disappointed to find out the manga is actually behind the anime with no signs of an update in over a yr. But i guess thats how it goes sometimes. Hopefully J.C will keep putting out things i like, Shakugan no Shana and now this :D i'm expecting great things.
"Even if the morrow is barren of promises... nothing shall forestall my return!"

Jul 27, 2013 6:54 PM

Jul 2013
Do you guys know whats the name of the song they sing during duels?

Japanese version

Asore
♪♫Watasha hanaka? chouchoka onika?
Awaremimo yomo araryou monoka
Menino kawarini sasukano yaibaja
Nando homete kudashansei
Asore Apare Apare Aparena ♪♫

Eng version

Am i a flower?
a butterfly?
an ogre?
misery in the world, is violence the answer?
dash of rouge turns to blade in hand.
Do praise my efforts.
Asore Apare Apare Aparena"

Its so haunting yet beautiful
Mar 14, 2014 1:44 AM

Aug 2013
The story itself wasn't really that interesting but the cast really carried this show.

8/10.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 22, 2014 1:11 AM

Feb 2010
Here is the song with translation:
http://kafkafuura.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/benibana-no-otome-uta/
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Apr 18, 2014 11:16 PM

Oct 2013
13 episodes for an offscreen kiss. Rapist and murderer gets killed in a fire. None of the soldiers put up much of a protest when they were told they were reassigned. Yeah they came back but I was expecting at least one of them to be like fuck that, I'll quit the military to stay here. Again with the repeat animation. Black Widow bitch taking over as the big baddie at the end instead of Omodaka -- lame. Last two episodes and the finale as a whole were quite unsatisfying, especially for a seinen.
Aug 19, 2014 3:28 AM

Apr 2012
Liked the cast of characters, but the drama felt really underwhelming/cheap. Surprisingly easy to marathon as well. Really enjoyed the lovey dovy moments as well and got a pretty conclusive romantic end.
Felt like they could have done more with the lore/ fantasy world building.

6/10

Apr 27, 2015 9:51 AM

Apr 2014
9/10

Dec 14, 2015 5:56 AM

Nov 2014
ehbiwtf said:
13 episodes for an offscreen kiss. Rapist and murderer gets killed in a fire. None of the soldiers put up much of a protest when they were told they were reassigned. Yeah they came back but I was expecting at least one of them to be like fuck that, I'll quit the military to stay here. Again with the repeat animation. Black Widow bitch taking over as the big baddie at the end instead of Omodaka -- lame. Last two episodes and the finale as a whole were quite unsatisfying, especially for a seinen.
heh, despite what he does, Omodaka seemed pretty lame for a villain, suddenly Byakuroku is all for Omodaka and the spider was just plain freaky To add, the soldiers were useless in fights, but i guess thats why they were with the Spirits... I did enjoy the romantic moments, however I do think they could of made the ending more better indeed, or more episodes =/
Jan 8, 2016 4:45 AM

Nov 2014
I liked the ending, especially last 2 or so minutes. It was nice change after being on verge of dropping since ep. 6. That cheap drama and how long it lasted really made it painful to watch. On the other hand unusual setting and not-that-bad characters made it somehow interesting.
And Benibana no Otome Uta (that's how it's called?) was one of better anime music I've heard :)
Jun 23, 2016 7:44 AM

Jul 2012
Ahhh, that was a cute way to end it. I really wanted more of a resolution between Riken and Susukihotaru :c At least the main pair got together.

I feel that it was good overall but I might have expected more out of it. It felt like Inu x Boku SS with a Kamisama Hajimemashita x Natsume Yuujinchou feel.

The highlights of this series was colour, music and artstyle probably. 7/10
Jan 18, 2017 5:05 PM
Dec 2014
Glad I watched it but it was definitely lacking in some areas. I feel they would have done a better job extending the anime to 24 episodes and developing the side characters a bit more. Especially Reiken and Ganyru. They got such little screen time just because they weren't the main characters.

Her brother was such a flimsy villain and I found the whole "I'm going to rape my sister" very badly directed. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't get anywhere near enough of a sinister aura if that's what he was actually going to do. He was supposed to "hate" Zakuro and yet I felt it was more annoyance than anything. The ending as well where they show him in the cart smiling felt so out of place as well? Like all of a sudden he's okay with Zakuro being happy again? I would have liked to have seen Zakuro and her brother have a bonding moment too if that's what they wanted to happen. Or at least talk to one another jeez.

The concept had great potential and I felt like it kinda just flopped at the end there. Plus what the hell was that screen cut of Zakuro and agemaki kissing? Are you for real? If you're going to rush a kiss at the end there at least show us! Jeez are we like 5?

And also the reinstated thing? Seriously? You're going to pull that? So realistically, that was just an easy way to show how they all really feel about each other for the viewers, and then be like "JK we're actually staying together the same as always". It felt kind of stupid.

I have a lot of complaints but I did actually enjoy it and would probably watch it again regardless. I mean the "fight" scenes are cool and the stuff that happens before the finale are well done as well. Plus I do quite like the characters and the animation is nice to look at.
Feb 28, 2019 5:47 AM

Mar 2018
This anime was very sweet and enjoyable. I agree with others that Riken and Susukihotaru were the best part. I also thought Ganryuu and the twins were adorable. :D

I wish there had been more sweet moments with the main couple. The last-minute confession and kiss was rushed. Still, a very enjoyable series. I give it 8/10, and I am interested in reading the manga. (No promises, though.)
May 4, 2019 4:58 PM

Mar 2018
Why did they cut in the middle of that kiss?

I don't like that they gave Omodaka a good ending and tried to make the spider lady the sole villain.

But Zakuro and Kei's ending made up for it. I give this show 8/10.
Jan 25, 2020 5:45 PM

Dec 2016
I enjoyed the series overall despite the fact that Omodaka was such a lame villian, the plotholes regarding why Agemaki got separated from the others when they were transported to the Oracle village and how he was able to hear the crying of Zakuro's mother and reading her mind, I guess he has some spiritual habilities like his mother and sister or that just happened because was covenient for the plot and we will never get an explanation. On the other hand, all the characters were pretty likeable, I wish there was a second season but taking into account that this aired in 2010 and the manga is on hiatus that seems unlikely.
Feb 10, 2021 10:13 PM

Dec 2012
You know what? I don't even mind the last minute "Everything's back to normal" quick fix at the end. Just seeing Zakuro get flustered beyond words was well worth it. And even so, we got to see how each couple (& trio) felt about each other during those "farewells."

Well overall this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I'm glad they didn't dilly-dally with the romantic tension and gave a bit of closure to the direction each pair is going. With Kei x Zakuro, the obvious confession & kiss. And then Riken x Susukihotaru, a quiet understanding that needs no words, just a simple embrace. Of course, there's Ganryuu-SAMA x the twins and well, let's just say that should always be interesting. In any case, this type of romance was right up my alley and I only wish I could have seen more of those moments.

In its quieter moments, this reminded me a bit of Natsume Yuujinchou and had a similarly soothing captivation to it. I'm particularly fond of this time period as the clash of cultures leads to gradual changes in attitudes, both with the characters themselves as well as society at large. In all honesty, I would have preferred more of a focus on that if it meant foregoing Zakuro's past & the various battles. While the last few episodes certainly added a heavier atmosphere, I feel like the best emotions came from the lovey-dovey, slice of life style.

7.5/10
ZekkenshinFeb 10, 2021 10:18 PM
Mar 13, 2021 6:00 AM
Jul 2020
I loved the ending but the overall story was a little boring but i still loved it was a fun wholesome watch i give it 7/10
Mar 24, 2021 10:36 AM
Oct 2019
Not gonna mention that that fucker was gonna rape his sister? Ok... Anyway I have zero sympathy for him and his sob story at the end ruined this entire show for me. Also Rangui deserved better
Sep 17, 2021 10:57 AM
Sep 2021
Oh cmon, agemaki deserves more than that woman. Fight me🙃
Apr 2, 2022 6:55 PM
Jan 2016
over huh? well it was a very average and predictable with a boring will they won't they plot that ended in one kiss that was barely shown. I was hoping we'd at least see all three couples (I'm counting the twins as one) kiss but we don't even get that. honestly it feels like I wasted my afternoon on this but it wasn't bad enough to care so that's that I guess.
Aug 3, 2022 1:45 AM

Sep 2014
I just love it when the antagonist gets a happy ending.
1/10
Jun 10, 2023 7:08 PM
Jul 2021
This anime was a burden to finish. Once again a female lead anime that goes down in flames because they focus way, way too much on feelings and other nonsense dribbles.

This show should have been good, at least! But no, let's focus on Zakuro a bleh, meh, bland empty of a shell, a stereotype of the average modern Japanese teenage girl. Ffuk feelings! Give action! You have a show that deals with the supernatural in a unique fashion, and what do they do with it? 

They (every one connected to this spazz of a project) focus their attention on love, female teenage feelings and some other rubbish, forget about the supernatural, forget about that Kitsune spirit protecting the girls that god? Elephant guy or every other demon/spirit and what not. 

Forget all about that and let's waste our time going in circles between every girl and their male equivalent focusing on their fake? Moronic "relationship"  that goes nowhere.

When they finally decided to do something with the supernatural lore of the show it is way too late, I and many were already bored to dead with this nonsensical show/characters/boring plot etc.

Proof of how much this show sucks, easy. Let's take a look at blondie boyo family. It is clearly showed that the little sister has "powers" and that the mother might be a supernatural being or that she also has "powers" what do they do with this? Nothing! Nothing at all! A stupid look between Zakuro and the little sister before Zakuro leaves with blondie boy. The end.

How is blondie boy well blonde? in the early 20th century how many Japanese were natural blondes? Even today how many of them are natural blondes? 0.001% or is it 0.003% but here we have a blonde dude somewhere in early 20th century Japan, right.

Good riddance, now Zakuro exist stage left and don't come back. 

P.S Let's better forget about the fact that the bad guy was going to grape his sister and they tried to make us care about him with some very ordinary sappy story that I and countless others didn't give one fvck about.
DawizzJun 10, 2023 7:19 PM
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» It was only the perfect anime for the first two episodes until....

Kiryotsu - Jan 31

2 by lifeandstories »»
Feb 1, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2010

70 by CalmTeaTime »»
Dec 11, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Jinjos - Oct 4, 2010

162 by CalmTeaTime »»
Dec 11, 2023 3:17 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2010

82 by Zekkenshin »»
Feb 10, 2021 1:28 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Jinjos - Oct 11, 2010

73 by removed-user »»
Aug 14, 2020 4:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.