Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Feb 1, 2016 10:27 PM

May 2011
I love both endings. The ending with Kanade was happy happy end but I liked this one a little more since it portrays Otonashi's goal of trying to save others by staying behind by himself. Reminds me of Shirou.
May 12, 2016 8:06 AM

Jun 2012
i really am not happy i saw this cause now it makes me confused what the goal of this episode was and it makes me doubt if he actually was reincarnated and met kanade in the real world as i assumed at the end of the origenal show but i guess i see this as what happened before he accepted everything and dissapeared to be reincarnated and met kanade.

6/10 it wasnt bad in most aspects but since its short with not much explenation it can never get a high score.
RobertovkMay 12, 2016 8:15 AM
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jun 17, 2016 8:15 PM
Feb 2016
(THERE ARE NO PLOTHOLE)

Q1.)how is it possible that kanade was the first person to arrive in the afterlife if
She has yuzuru's heart?

A1.)the purgatory is connected to the past,present and future or in every seconds in the world,
My evidence is shiina,it is obvious that shiina is a ninja from the past era,it is more obvious if you will read the manga,in kther words their soul came from different times for example shiina came from 1200 years,yuri from 2006,otonashi from 2010,kanade from 2012.in kanade's present time(2012), otonashi is already dead,but in otonashi's present time (2010) he's still alive.same goes to shiina and yuri in their time.at kanade's time she was already in a coma and is already in the afterlife(she's not dead she's just in a coma),but in yuri and shiina's present time they are still alive,lets assume that there are night and days in the afterlife but the time in the afterlife is not actually moving, while in the afterlife kanade was already in the afterlife alone and is already the student council president of the npc's,2 months in yuri's time(2006) she died,when she came to the afterlife kanade was already in the afterlife,yuri's soul came from 2006 but kanade's soul came from 2012,it is impossible if the afterlife is only connected or madefor the present time, but its not it is connected to all the time in our world,that's what made kanade to be the first character in the afterlife,in shiina's time,2 months after 1200,she died and was sent to the afterlife,ex. Yuri was already there for 3 days before she met shiina but kanade was already there for 2 years or longer before yuri's first day in the afterlife(im only counting the days and night in the afterlife but time does not really exist in the afterlife in my theory but there are still days and nights).at that time in the afterlife,otonashi in the present is still alive,2 months after 2010 otonashi died and was sent in the afterlife right away even if he had no regret in his life,maybe because kanada and otonashi has the same feeling or because otonashi's heart was looking for him,but it was obvious that the reason why he's there is because hes the only one who can release kanade from the afterlife.
Aug 7, 2016 10:28 AM
Feb 2016
Paul said:
I was quite sadden by this episode, not disappointed sadden, emotionally sadden. The fact that Otonashi 'stayed' behind to help other people get through as well as the fact that they stated 'he was waiting for someone'.

Does anyone know what it meant by 'Next Stage" at the end of the OVA/Ep? Kinda lost me there.

That's why i stopped at episode 13. Is episode 13.5 part of the series?
Sep 1, 2016 5:46 PM
Jul 2018
richard360 said:
Mehn that OST really had my feels rising

This.

HOLY SHIT I loved that So MUCHHH.
Amazing to see Otonashi steping up and trying to help other people *.*
Also, it seemed like he was waiting for Kanade to maybe appear in that world again, maybe? At least that was what it seemed when some girl talked. That's awesome.
Dec 4, 2016 8:42 PM
Apr 2016
My theory for who Otonashi was waiting for:

Maybe I'm wrong since I haven't watched it again for a bit of time but what I thought was that Otonashi was not waiting for Kanade but instead was waiting for his little sister.

I think he thinks that his sister regretted her life (confusing wording) so he decides to wait for her.

Well obviously his sister didn't regret her life because she didn't appear, but Otonashi is blinded or couldn't accept that fact??

I didn't watch it for a long time so maybe I missed an important dialogue, so can someone debunk my theory?
Sep 13, 2017 9:30 AM

Jul 2016
Okay, let's watch the OVA, sure it will help... Wait, TWO MINUTES LONG?!

Nah, just kidding, it wasn't bad for a 2 minutes epilogue.

Well, we know that Yuzuru DID stay and someone else came to this purgatory. Kinda a sad ending if you think about it.

I don't know if I prefer that there isn't a Second Season, I prefer the Series this way.

Angel Beats: 8/10

Epilogue: 6/10
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Oct 6, 2017 9:11 AM
Sep 2017
I don't want to believe but this OVA makes me think that Otonashi had stayed in that world alone...
Oct 17, 2017 9:59 PM
Aug 2014
Well I do hope someone eventually relieves him of his duty; cant see it going well if he stays there forever.
Feb 21, 2018 4:08 AM
Feb 2018
If Kanade was the person who got his heart, it means she is alive, which is probably the reason he's waiting... For her to die, and meet her again.
Mar 23, 2018 8:03 PM

Mar 2016
An interesting alternative ending... If Yuzuru Otonashi did stay behind, he'll live an endless life and will see through and guide countless young souls' arrival and obliteration of countless of them... He's waiting only to guide them to move on.

If he stayed behind, even if he still retains all his memory about the SSS and Kanade, he'll never meet Kanade ever again in the real world. I rather choose to believe in which they're reincarnated back and finally meeting each other again, even though they have no memory of each other. (From episode 13)
Nov 1, 2018 7:05 PM
Apr 2018
It would've been nice to see this as the start of a second season I guess.
Jan 15, 2019 3:24 AM
Dec 2017
How is this epilogue ha having such bad rating? This is the best twist I've seen.
Feb 1, 2019 6:31 PM
Apr 2016
Hmm, I assume this takes pkace right before the last scene in the first and only season, in the middle of the end basically (?) Awesome I guess...
Feb 1, 2019 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
XandersonEpic said:
How is this epilogue ha having such bad rating? This is the best twist I've seen.

In fact, I like this too. But I think it deserves its rating because there is no point to make such a twist. Otonashi could have left without hesitation. I mean, I don't think it should have made. It's very short. Most importantly, some people couldn't believe that they waited months for this.

In addition, despite unusual plot and characters, a lot of people think that Angel Beats! is very frustrating. Because the waste of potential was shocking. Some characters' backstories were not even told! The story would have been more coherent if there had been more episodes. So. maybe one of the reasons of Another Epilogue's bad rating was this frustration.

PS: I don't regret watching this ending. Actually, I like it. It's a good bonus to Angel Beats.
Jul 26, 2019 7:58 PM

Oct 2015
Too me that was just a useless outburst episode, that didn't deserve to be alone but instead should've been included in the last minutes of the last episode! Would've been better if Kanade was there though.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 5, 2019 6:46 PM

Oct 2013
It's really "Another Epilogue". Alternative point of view, something that can be described as "What if... Otonashi decided to stay and guide all people who would enter this afterlife-like realm?".

Short episode, but its message is clear. I liked it. :-)
Nov 24, 2019 1:50 PM
Nov 2019
Gar_Logan said:
But this isn't what happened right? This was just what would have happened if he did stay behind.

You did see him reaching towards the shoulder of a girl that looked exactly like Kanade (Even though we didn't see her face.) at the end of the last episode.
Dec 3, 2019 4:13 PM

Nov 2019
I didn't like this :/
3/10
Mar 29, 2020 2:07 PM

Jan 2014
i don't understand. still confused 4/10
is this an alternate ending or meant to happen before the reincarnation we saw in ep 13????
Apr 27, 2020 11:51 PM

Apr 2019
This is just a theory, but I don't think this "Another Epilogue" actually has literal meaning to it. Instead, I believe it is not a different ending where Otonashi stayed but it is what happened before the main series.
Remember how one of the students in this short said "He's waiting for someone", the same thing was said in ep 9 of the main series by the one in the 2nd computer room.
Couldn't it be that he was the programmer who was waiting for someone (and that turns out to be Kanade).
Rem is best girl
May 1, 2020 4:32 PM
Sep 2018
That was a GOD action for me, just for that I make a 10/10
May 12, 2020 7:52 PM

Jan 2016
I liked it. It basically shows what would have been of Otonashi if he had stayed behind. Either that or this is what he did before he passed on. I think it's the former.
Oct 18, 2020 3:35 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
When they said "He was waiting for someone" wasnt it what the one guy in the basment said in the original anime?
Is this somehow connected? Wut oO

Dec 1, 2020 8:06 AM

Aug 2018
Just waste of production really. Useless.
Dec 13, 2020 12:01 AM
Oct 2019
I feel this is what happened after Kanade disappeared and Otonashi stayed. Then, after becoming student council president and helping others, he decided to finally ascended to heaven. He would eventually meet Kanade once again. (Ep. 13 endind after credits)
Mar 8, 2021 9:29 PM

Jan 2020
This, this is what Angel Beats could've been like. It could've been actually depressing.
It had potential...

I actually really liked this OVA even if it was 2 minutes long. It's way better than the entire series, despite it lasting only 2 MINUTES.

Apr 26, 2021 11:04 PM

Feb 2020
There was no need for the epilogue. How anime ended was perfect. This feels like some sort of wishful shit.
Ok, otonashi do looks cool, but still its unnecessary and kind of ruins the aftertaste of anime for me.
But since its just 2 mins, I guess whatever
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 8, 2021 10:13 PM

Apr 2021
Man A lot of people have different theories...I choose to believe that before Otonashi meets Kanade in the real world as shown in the ending of the show....he might have spent some time in the afterlife....helping the people who wind up there(as shown in this epilogue)....I really loved the tv show although the ending could have been better rather then leaving the viewers with a sense of confusion...but anyways
Joel77Aug 8, 2021 10:16 PM
Aug 11, 2021 8:23 PM

Jan 2021
The scene with Otonashi in the Student Council room deadass made my heart hurt a little.

Oct 26, 2021 6:52 AM

Aug 2020
If this was made because there will be a season 2, then yeah, it was cool. But it's been 11 years so why would they release another season now?

Assuming there will never be a second season, I didn't really like this epilogue. How it actually ended made me so emotional and this was just unnecessary. 5/10
Jan 17, 2022 12:19 AM

Jul 2021
Seems like this is the alternate ending where Otonashi remainds behind to guide others to "disappearing" from this world. He's setokaicho now and is waiting for someone?
Kinda sad in a sense. This was a good OVA. 7/10
TsutanaiFuunJan 17, 2022 12:24 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Feb 15, 2022 11:22 AM

May 2016
That was another great ending that could have happened.

5/5
Aug 19, 2022 1:52 AM
Sep 2015
Seemed contrived and a waste of time.
Sep 8, 2022 2:24 AM
Sep 2022
something special
Nov 13, 2022 8:55 AM
Nov 2022
It seems like a bad ending honestly. Forever trapped in the school, possibly unhappy and going insane after a while. What a way to ruin Otonashi. Glad that this is not the real deal.
Jan 31, 2023 12:31 AM
Jul 2022
short but interesting
Feb 18, 2023 6:56 PM

Aug 2014
With this mini-episode, I guess the male MC stayed back for a long time, kinda like what happened to the guy that fell in love and became a program (episode 12).  Except that the male MC decided to give up hope and pass on.  And then once they both got reincarnated, they encountered each other in the epilogue ending of episode 13. 

Angel Beats could make a movie or a long OVA episode with that story line, with everyone re-encountering each other reincarnated and alive. 
oooo3333Mar 1, 2023 12:37 AM
Apr 21, 2023 1:18 AM
May 2021
Wtf was this? just showed an alternative ending where otonashi stayed in the world 😂. Nothing else? bruh
Feb 19, 3:53 AM

Jun 2017
what if he is stuck in a time loop and the og creator of Angel Beats software .Fits the bill of the NPCs explanation in ep12.Interesting hypothesis but we may never know the answer
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Episode 13 Another Epilogue

earthfairys - Oct 10, 2010

11 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jun 27, 2022 3:51 PM

» Otonashi circle

JustAnotherShiro - Dec 14, 2019

1 by GreenClock »»
Dec 14, 2019 11:17 AM

» Angel Beats SPOILER

yg01 - May 25, 2018

6 by kevin_satron »»
Oct 4, 2018 4:52 AM

» How this connects to the end of the main series

fang3412 - Jun 6, 2015

1 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 15, 2015 12:00 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats the best anime....../Another Epilogue

trabeus1 - Sep 10, 2013

38 by Luna »»
Sep 11, 2013 12:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.