Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 14, 2010 3:21 PM

Oct 2010
I just started reading manga on mine. It’s really, really cool. It could almost be made specifically for it! Sometimes the screen is a tiny bit small, like with GiTS ect where there are loads of footnotes, but in general it’s wicked, and you can zoom real easily anyway. Has anyone tried it?

It’s really easy to set up. Best instructions are here.

Has anyone tried any other eReaders? I was looking at the Nook, but it seemed a bit gimmicky and pointless. Any experience? I want to buy my gf an eReader but I don’t know if I should stick with the Kindle or what.
http://www.accessj.com
The real deal on Japan.
News and information for visitors, ex-pats and prospective workers.
Dec 16, 2010 1:21 AM
Sep 2010
Nah. Can't say I have.
Dec 16, 2010 1:23 AM

Mar 2009
I haven't tried it.
Dec 16, 2010 2:55 AM

Dec 2010
I haven't tried it on the Kindle, but I have tried it on the iPad. Which is perfect for it.
Dec 16, 2010 5:46 PM

Oct 2010
I like the kindle because of the no-glare screen. Plus it weighs almost nothing. Haven:t tried the ipad though.
The real deal on Japan.
Dec 17, 2010 11:11 AM
Sep 2010
skankfish said:
I like the kindle because of the no-glare screen. Plus it weighs almost nothing. Haven:t tried the ipad though.

I've been wanting a Kindle really badly.
Dec 17, 2010 11:43 AM

Aug 2010
I haven't tried it yet, and I don't plan to, to be honest. It doesn't appeal to me.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Dec 18, 2010 10:48 PM

Apr 2009
Yep. Mangle works great. I have a Kindle 3, and I'm really enjoying it for manga. I read through Mai the Psychic Girl a few days back. Probably going to tackle Love Hina next. I also have some light novels on it as well. Calibre is another handy tool.
Dec 20, 2010 5:49 PM

Oct 2010
I haven't tried calibre. Does it work the same way?
The real deal on Japan.
Dec 20, 2010 11:00 PM

Apr 2009
Calibre basically converts ebooks from one format to another, which is handy if you want to make an epub file into a mobi.
Dec 23, 2010 4:37 AM

Aug 2010
I am looking to get a kindle / nookcolor for manga, does anyone know a good website to download pdf files of manga or readable files for kindle / nookcolor?
Dec 25, 2010 10:19 PM

Apr 2009
Can't really answer that since your question may violate ToS. However, you are not going to find a lot of manga in PDF form. Mostly it will be jpeg or png files scanned and put into zip or rar folders. As I mentioned before, Mangle is a great tool for putting Manga onto the Kindle. As for where to find Manga, I would look for it in the same places you find anime.
Dec 25, 2010 11:47 PM

Dec 2010
Sounds cool. I actually thought about it a long time ago but never really felt the need to figure out how. Rather just use the computer or my Iphone.
Dec 26, 2010 5:44 PM

Apr 2009
I wanted a Kindle because I have tons of ebooks going back almost 15 years. Using it to read manga was a bonus, even if it has now become the primary function of the device. :)
Jan 7, 2011 12:10 AM

Jul 2008
I just ordered a Kindle DX and can't wait until next week to get it. All I can say right now according to the reviews is don't buy the smaller version. Your able to read the small print of the manga but its not very comfortable (but then again it does have a zoom feature). As for the ipad its got a ton of features but it doesn't mean that its a good eReader. It's expensive and too much of an eyestrain from the bright screen (my brother has one). If your gonna buy only for the purpose of reading then go kindle.
Jan 7, 2011 12:19 AM

Sep 2007
I Just Read Manga From My Evo I Really Dont use My kindle As It Is Expect For A Few Novels
Jan 7, 2011 5:21 AM

Oct 2010
I like my net book and free. Unless, the kindle can browse the web I very much prefer not having to pay for it's "services".

I always learn something, and that is: to always be yourself. And to express yourself, to have faith in yourself.
Jan 7, 2011 6:28 AM
Nov 2010
Does manga support on Kindle?
Jan 7, 2011 10:28 AM

Jul 2008
warrenwater said:

Yes, google mangle. You could buy manga wirelessly on amazon but their library of manga ain't too big at the moment. Just look for scanalations and convert with mangle.
Jan 7, 2011 5:32 PM

Oct 2010
heres another reason why i don't trust kindle. if lost then there goes your whole collection and work. i don't think they can insure all the books that have been lost on the kindle?

I always learn something, and that is: to always be yourself. And to express yourself, to have faith in yourself.
Jan 7, 2011 10:47 PM

Jul 2008
GungriffonGRAVE said:
heres another reason why i don't trust kindle. if lost then there goes your whole collection and work. i don't think they can insure all the books that have been lost on the kindle?

What do you mean by lost? Are you talking about losing the kindle or the data? I'm not sure because I don't get mine until wed. I'll keep you updated and check it out myself.

And theres no point in web browsing with the kindle if all your gonna do is read books or manga. And plus 3g is free when downloading ebooks. Web browsing can be a different story. But all in all, just stick with your net book.
Jan 8, 2011 1:46 AM

Aug 2010
GungriffonGRAVE said:

I haven't used a Kindle in a while, but I'm fairly sure that one Amazon account lets you register up to 6 Kindles on your account, so if you lose your Kindle, you can get another one and still download things you've brought if you register it to the same account. For other file types, just treat the Kindle like you would a PC/laptop and back up your data elsewhere in case something happens.

However I believe some (all?) Kindle purchases 'expire' within 30 days, so unless you back them up elsewhere then you have to buy them again. DRM is pretty awful.
Jan 8, 2011 1:55 AM

Oct 2010
GungriffonGRAVE said:

Don't lose it then? It's the same thing with wallets. They won't return any money placed inside if you lose it.

GungriffonGRAVE said:
I like my net book and free. Unless, the kindle can browse the web I very much prefer not having to pay for it's "services".

iPad's both are great manga readers and can surf the web at the same time.
Jan 8, 2011 7:56 AM

Oct 2010
Zalxoras said:
GungriffonGRAVE said:

Don't lose it then? It's the same thing with wallets. They won't return any money placed inside if you lose it.

GungriffonGRAVE said:

Due to functionality I would preferable choose a Ipad over a kindle. The kindle just seems expensive for its limited use. I would wait until a price drop.

Jan 8, 2011 7:56 AM

Oct 2010
Zalxoras said:
GungriffonGRAVE said:

GungriffonGRAVE said:

Due to functionality I would preferable choose a Ipad over a kindle. The kindle just seems expensive for its limited use. I would wait until a price drop.

Jan 9, 2011 3:37 PM

Jul 2010
I use my Kindle 3 for manga, and I haven't had a single problem yet.
Mangle is a godsend.
Jan 10, 2011 11:48 AM

Jan 2010
I've had an iPad for a couple of weeks now and I've read more manga on it than I have in the last year before it. It's an amazing device for scan readers, you can just store the files on your HD, create zips and load them into itunes when you want to read them. It creates folders for series if you just stick to the exact same name formats, for example: "All-Rounder Meguru 1.zip" and so on just changing the number for each volume or chapter.

I'll never go back to reading manga on my desktop computer.
Though there's still something nostalgic to reading real books, so I will still keep buying those whenever I can. Though the need to do so has certainly declined with this digital manga reader of mine.
Jan 11, 2011 6:19 PM

Apr 2009
Has anyone tried using a Mac for this? I tried Mangle and it came up error. They even have one for Mac but it didn't work. Does anyone know any other program for Mac to convert manga? Do you even need to? Since the Kindle 3 can handle JPG and PDF can you just create a picture folder in the root menu of the kindle? I'm trying to back up my stash. SOMEONE HELP!
Jan 12, 2011 12:16 PM

Dec 2009
I haven't tried it on a kindle. But I have tried it on my smart phone, I had too zoom a lot, but it worked. But really, I prefer reading it as a book (in the hand), or on the computer. But an iPad would probably work :D.
Jan 13, 2011 1:10 PM

Jul 2008
Just got my kindle Dx 2nd edition today and I gotta admit it was not exactly what I'd thought it would be (I mean it in a bad way). The screen could sometimes lag if your the type to press buttons really fast. You could clearly see the after burn effect when moving the line around. It's rather slow on the 3g internet (no surprise there). Overall I felt that there was no wow factor. However, it does display the images (manga) clearly, and its very sharp. The whole thing was pretty light and I would choose this over an ipad any day. If your reading under a light bulb there is a very very very slight glare so I'd advise you to read it under a well lit area. On the good side it does exactly what an eReader does but in terms of speed its slow. I'd suggest anyone getting a kindle to wait until a better version comes out.
Jan 14, 2011 12:49 PM

Apr 2009
GungriffonGRAVE said:

Well, for one I've never bought a single eBook from Amazon. All the books I have are DRM free PDFs or eBooks converted to .mobi using Calibre. Every book I have is backed up on my computer and external HD.
Jan 14, 2011 12:51 PM

Apr 2009
warrenwater said:

I hope so, as I just put the entirety of Love Hina on it (about 2500 pages). I probably have about 6000 pages worth of manga on it right now, as well as a bunch of conventional books, with over a GB left of free space.
Jan 14, 2011 12:57 PM

Apr 2009
Phreak9mm said:
Has anyone tried using a Mac for this? I tried Mangle and it came up error. They even have one for Mac but it didn't work. Does anyone know any other program for Mac to convert manga? Do you even need to? Since the Kindle 3 can handle JPG and PDF can you just create a picture folder in the root menu of the kindle? I'm trying to back up my stash. SOMEONE HELP!

I have Mange running on my laptop, which is running Ubuntu 10.10. Check out the Link which describes how to get it running in Linux. Basically, Mangle is written in Python. So long as your Python libraries are up to date, you can download the Mangle source (put the folder where its convenient), and then start it by running the mangle.pyw script. Even a Mac should be able to do that much.
Jan 14, 2011 12:59 PM

Apr 2009
anime_daisuki said:
Just got my kindle Dx 2nd edition today and I gotta admit it was not exactly what I'd thought it would be (I mean it in a bad way). The screen could sometimes lag if your the type to press buttons really fast. You could clearly see the after burn effect when moving the line around. It's rather slow on the 3g internet (no surprise there). Overall I felt that there was no wow factor.

First thing I would do is check Amazon's site and see if your model has the latest firmware installed.
Oct 17, 2011 8:44 AM

Apr 2008
I just got a kindle 4 last week - wicked device, great for ebooks and manga - half way through xxxholic atm - GOD BLESS MANGLE
Oct 19, 2011 11:23 AM

Sep 2011
Is it sad that I have no idea what a kindle is?
*googles*
Huh.Can't afford it anyways.Probably.
Oct 30, 2011 6:18 AM

Oct 2011
with manga i can tolerate reading it on a tablet (ipad or kindle) since there's pictures. weird reason, i know, but it's how i am. novels on the other hand should always be book form... it just isn't right for me any other way
Oct 31, 2011 7:42 PM
May 2011
I've been reading my manga on a Nook Classic. Definitely thinking of upgrading when the new nook comes out. I love reading it on the Nook since its so convenient but I really want to either upgrade to a lighter Nook or the iPad where I can read American comics as well. Didn't go with the Kindle 4 just because it has no upgradeable memory.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

375 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
2 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

151 by Armandoriel »»
3 hours ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Today

1 by Alexioos95 »»
4 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

21 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:55 PM

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

52 by Luxology »»
Yesterday, 5:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.