Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 13, 2010 7:30 PM
Mar 2010
This thread may have spoilers

Lol, I'm sorry, but this has been bugging me ever since I finished Death Note two or so weeks ago.
Do you think what Light does in Death Note is right?

Watching Death Note, I encountered many comments saying what he is doing is completely rational and needs to be done. I don't agree with this whatsoever. I think Light definitely abused the power of the Death Note to the maximum. I kind of understand the first one and the second one to be a test, but when they came up as positive, the man went ape shit. From the first episode he is saying that he'll be the 'God of the new world'.... Wtf how delusional is he? i don't know how it was worded, depending on whether you watched dubbed/subbed and who subbed, but I liked it when Ryuk said, "so when you kill all the bad guys, the only bad guy left will be you." because it's completely true. He see's nothing immoral about what he is doing. I'm sorry, but I don't know where he gets off thinking that it is his right to pass judgment onto others because they're 'bad people'. A lot of the people he killed were already in jail.... They weren't doin' anything to the world in there. I think it is a totally different thing omitting them to prison or jail, but to kill them? That is a whole new level. I understand the world would be a much better place without criminals, surrrrrre. But criminals are still people. There are still people that care for them. I could never take someone away from someone else, but Light doesn't even second guess it, so clearly he was a sicko from the beginning. First episode I watched I was kind of on Light's side because I could kind of see what he was doing, and he was my friends favorite so I was a little biased. Later on into the series (like, 3-4 eps, lmao) I realized the guy is a loony. His thoughts are so convoluted! How does anyone like this character unless for the pure enjoyment they just wanted to see him be a dick. K true, I won't say anything to that, but I will say: how does anyone think what he's doing is right?
As soon as he killed his first person, he was just as bad as those criminals, which I think is the scariest thought that he doesn't even notice. There is seriously something missin upstairs. Seriously.

- - this is where the spoilers kick in ;) - -

He's such a sociopath. He watched his Dad die because of the use and abuse of the Death Note. How could you do that to your own family? Seriously, it's not just a stranger this time, it's you're blood. From the first episode he said that he might have to kill his family in case they find out about DN. It was like a switch just turned on in Lights mind (no--really bad--pun intended) after finding the death note. Like he had this evil ambition dying for a way to get out. He (although this wasn't necessarily his fault; it just happened through the use of the DN) let his sister Sayu become practically a vegetable because she was traumatized. He killed L, which burned a special place in my heart. Well, you can say that Rem killed L but it was because of the bitch named Yagami Light. I felt bad for Misa too. He didn't love her. All she wanted was his love and he gave her some cheap gimmick. When Takada-san comes into the picture he completely jumps ships as if he has liked her all along. In the end she dies.

about the ending...

But seriously......

:)

But yeah. Your views? Light = Sociopath or was what he was doing completely reasonable?

"It's just...a bad dream! Wake up, wake up...!"
Dec 13, 2010 7:36 PM

Jul 2008
I'm getting a huge case of TL;DR lately.
My view is that Light was doing the right thing up until he started going after L / the police, because then it's not just taking out criminals, but it's taking out innocent people who are trying to catch you, which is a dick move.

Then you have the whole "criminals could be innocent" debate, which always sways me against corporal punishment, but just look at prisons these days: full, happy places, hell, homeless people even commit crimes over here to get into prison for a warm room and food (as said by my law teacher). A little killing to ease up the prison population and put a little old fear into the hearts of men goes a long way.
Dec 14, 2010 12:50 PM
Mar 2010
BakaKawaii said:
My view is that Light was doing the right thing up until he started going after L / the police.

I can't agree with that. (and lol, he went after the police & L like, ep 2) Maybe I'd be completely fine with him if he was seriously getting rid of only the really bad people that the police hasn't caught yet, but he just went ape shit with the death note after he killed the first two 'tests'.

s-o-c-i-o-p-a-t-h.

Dec 14, 2010 3:35 PM

Jul 2008
I'm pretty sure he killed more than two "tests" before going after the police, as he was targeted by the police because he had killed so many and gained a following, or it's been a while since I've seen it and I've forgotten many things.

I never said he wasn't a sociopath, but he was doing the world a favour.
Dec 14, 2010 3:42 PM

Nov 2010
don't flame me, but I think he had the right idea in the beginning but then he lost the plot. IMO I think that those who kill people deserve to die, an eye for an eye.

Because hes first killing ACTUALLY helped people, but then her just went off and started killing and going mad with power.

fluttershyDec 14, 2010 3:47 PM
Dec 15, 2010 7:25 PM
Mar 2010
BakaKawaii said:
I'm pretty sure he killed more than two "tests" before going after the police, as he was targeted by the police because he had killed so many and gained a following, or it's been a while since I've seen it and I've forgotten many things.

I never said he wasn't a sociopath, but he was doing the world a favour.

I said he went ape shit after his two 'tests', I didn't say those were the only people he killed before the police were onto him. The first two tests was that guy on TV who was in some preschool or something and the guy with his gang who were harassing that chick when Light was in the convenience store. After that, you see Ryuk looking at the Death Note and there are pages full with names. That's when you know he lost it.

And then when he said, "I'm going to be God of the new world" it confirmed.

paperbomb said:
don't flame me, but I think he had the right idea in the beginning but then he lost the plot. IMO I think that those who kill people deserve to die, an eye for an eye.

Because hes first killing ACTUALLY helped people, but then her just went off and started killing and going mad with power.

I think the second person that he killed deserved to die, too, lmao, so I'm not really complaining there. I guess the first one as well, but not as much as the second one. I'm not saying that a lot of the people that he killed didn't deserve to die, I just didn't think that he should have been the person choosing whether someone should die or not. That being said, though, I don't think everyone he killed needed to die. Like Ray Penbar. He deemed Light under no suspicion and the FBI were gonna be out of Japan pretty soon. They weren't much of a threat. And then killing his wife.... I'm sorry, I guess you can argue 'he needed to do it to survive' but the way he killed her was just brutal. She wasn't a criminal and he had so much pleasure seeing her walk away to go kill herself. That is psycho at it's worst, my friends.

Dec 26, 2010 5:32 PM

Apr 2010
Sociopath all the way.
For those of you who don't know what is is..I have a clink for you.
Truyst me it sounds JUST like Light. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&defl=en&q=define:sociopath&sa=X&psj=1&ei=7esXTZO6NMT38AbCmL2YDg&ved=0CBYQkAE

Anyway, I can say that Light and I agree on one thing and one thing alone.
"The world could do without criminals" Lord knows that I was at-the-screen-high-fiving him but he went about do it ALL WRONG.
I could never say that he was right for what he was doing, if I did then I would be lying my ass off.
[Catchy, cool, insightful quote]
Jun 16, 2011 8:19 AM

Jun 2011
Definetly a sociopath. But he is adorable without his memories
Jun 16, 2011 8:22 AM

Apr 2011
How about a practical sociopath. 0_O
Mar 23, 2013 1:11 PM
Mar 2013
Yes your right he is sicopath, a crazy guy who needs to be locked away for his and others own good.I think the only reason people were on his side. Because A they think he could suceed and we could all live in a perfect world.B people are biases and think all criminals have to die.But realy in reality it wouldn't work because we all do wrong every day, each of us sin every day. So they cannot truly be a perfect world simply because were not perfect
Apr 9, 2013 9:39 PM
Apr 2013
Sociopath. Ever since his speech when he said he would make a world 'with the people HE decides are honest and hardworking' and all that. He already said he was eventually gonna start killing off lazy people. I think the power of the Death Note is addicting. Even after he rid the world of evil... he would have probably stupid excuses to keep killing people, like someone jaywalking or playing hookie.

Even if he had won, eventually Ryuuk would have killed him out of boredom because once Light killed all his obstacles, he would have ruled with the world without any opposition or anyone else coming after him.
Apr 9, 2013 9:39 PM

Jan 2013
Bro, Johan Liebert is a sociopath , Light? Hmm, kind of reasonable
Apr 9, 2013 9:42 PM
Oct 2012
He is simply a man with a goal that is given an opportunity to achieve it with a slight extreme thought process.
Apr 9, 2013 9:51 PM

Jul 2008
His intentions were understandable, but he obviously went way too far. Once he started killing innocent people who got in his way, it became ridiculous. The lengths that he was willing to go to operate the death note, hell no, wtf are you doing, Light..

As a side note though, I'm glad that Light was unstable rather than have him stay in control and get away with what he did.
"LET'S HOSPITAL!"
Apr 9, 2013 9:55 PM

Aug 2012
smokahontas96 said:
Definetly a sociopath. But he is adorable without his memories

I agree
Apr 9, 2013 9:58 PM

Dec 2010
He was power hungry that is all. An opportunist who got a hold of a book and couldn't discipline himself to use it in an ethical way (as if there was such a way).

Apr 13, 2013 11:49 PM

Mar 2013
There is a large difference between what you all deem being a "sociopath" and what it really is. Being a sociopath does not equate being crazy, actually sociopaths are generally quite good logicians; that is why many people with sociopathic tendencies end up being either murderers or CEO's.

Light was definitely a sociopath, but he wasn't crazy. He was extreme, but crazy is too much of a stretch.

Now on to the was he right or not part of the discussion. Many have brought up that killing criminals is ok, but not if they are in jail, I disagree. If I were to kill criminals off on a mass scale, jail mates would be some of the first I kill off. This would be for two reasons: 1) Their names are easily available in registries. 2) A single jail mate costs around $75,000 a year to keep penned up. That is a huge economic strain when you consider how overflowing jails are worldwide. The move to kill them is not only one of justice, but it is also one of accessibility and economics.
Apr 20, 2013 6:25 PM

Feb 2011
He was an extremist...I don't think he was really a psychopath, he didn't suffer from any apparent mental disorders. He's a "chaotic good" character taken to the absolute extreme.
Apr 25, 2013 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
I was totally on his site, he wanted to make the world better. Sure, he made a lot of "evil things" like killing fake L in the second episode, but for me Light is the hero.
Jun 19, 2013 3:27 PM
Nov 2012
Reasonable? No.

Like many others said, his intention was good and reasonable- at first. But you could tell that deep down inside, what he mainly wanted beside getting rid of the vermin in the world was a God complex. He wanted everyone to worship him, look up to him.. As to this day, I'm unsure why. It could be pure insanity that he just hid for a while, or maybe the ego of high grades and good looks caught up to him? Probably a mix of the both.

I think he was a good kid, though, before he got the death note- he was just hollow and lived with no meaning in his eyes. When his memory is erased from having the death note, you can tell he's decent. Light appears very naive, kind and... normal. I would say he became a sociopath when he began killing, and it progressed more and more to the fact that the thought of him being God made him not care about killing those closest to him.
Jul 1, 2013 5:47 PM

Feb 2010
Umm...I think it was pretty obvious that he became a sociopath.

No matter how good his intentions were, in the end, he killed because he loved that position of power.
He killed, because he wanted to achieve a world, were he could reign over as god.

In no way are his acts justifiable...especially, as the person above me described, when he killed off the people close to achieve his "goal" of a world free of crime.

beanwantaburger said:
He wanted everyone to worship him, look up to him.. As to this day, I'm unsure why. It could be pure insanity that he just hid for a while, or maybe the ego of high grades and good looks caught up to him? Probably a mix of the both.

It is my belief that perhaps living in a society defined by status and structures where even the school system separates people by their academic abilities, he felt that this power was not enough...that he was capable of achieving so much more. If he graduated high school, he would go off to a prestigious university, get a job, get married...he could not escape the system no matter how great of a genius he is. Of course, he would be provided with more opportunities able to achieve more than the average person, perhaps being the owner of a company, CEO...(etc.), but the reality is that he probably realized as a student that this was not something he wanted. When that notebook fell on the ground, it was his ray of hope, his opportunity to be able to change the world...to change that system. An opportunity, to reign as a god of the world he can create.
Jul 2, 2013 4:59 PM
Jan 2013
@Ghostony
I would say the charisma and socialization was a facade. And the conscience was his way of self-justifying his actions. Or rather it was for Kira.

Now, Light when he lost his memories was actually a decent guy. He even worried for Misa, and his family. When Light had the death note, he was a different person.

Light definitely became a sociopath early on. Another flaw in his character was just how naive and childish his view of justice was. Many think that executions lower murder, but statistics prove the contrary. And harsh punishments increase crimes as well. "In for a penny in for a pound" If two very different (in terms of scale) crimes or one crime with varying degrees are given the same punishment, then a criminal is given incentive to just commit the greater crime. If theft is worth death, then why go after small fry? Why not steal a larger amount since the punishment is the same? Or if you might get caught, why not kill the witness, since the punishment is the same? In Light's ideal world, people would become perfect citizens who would just forgo the crime altogether, but he forgot that most crimes are committed out of passion or desperation. Many regret committing them. Many reform. Light's world was also one without forgiveness, if you mess up, you're dead. It was most apparent in his dealings with those around him. The biggest crime in his book was disagreeing with him. By that point, he had lost it.
"There is perhaps no phenomenon which contains so much destructive feeling as moral indignation, which permits envy or hate to be acted out under the guise of virtue."
— Erich Fromm
Aug 30, 2015 7:50 PM
Aug 2015
In my opinion he wasn't a sociopath, He had a God-complex.
Aug 30, 2015 11:00 PM

Mar 2015
He was just a naive kid with dumb ideas who then got corrupted by power.
Sep 19, 2015 3:37 PM
Feb 2015
FloatingIdiot said:
FloatingIdiot said:

This. Even though he was a genius. Too bad.
Sep 20, 2015 4:23 AM

Sep 2015
Honestly- he doesn't count as either.

There is no right and no wrong- why don't you guys think about it that way? Light was right in a way, but he was far, far more wrong.
It's like L says, "He has a very childish concept of right and wrong."

So do you guys. Stop judging things that can't be judged.

No one can determine if L was right; while he was pursuing a mass murderer, he was also simultaneously preventing the deaths of tons of people whose lives were entirely unnecessary. When you think about the crimes those people committed, Kira's right. When you think about their families and try to put yourself in their shoes, or even think about (partially) undeserved death by a stranger's hand, not knowing when or how you'll die (and that too, for an experiment? A whim?), he's wrong.

They were all lives he took. People. Living, breathing, thinking people with lives like yours. Maybe they were happy once. Maybe Light took that away from them.
Or judge their actions- rape, murder, kidnapping, blackmail, extortion... you'll say they deserved every second of it again. It's endless, guys.

No one's right in real life, and no one's wrong. We're all just humans, like Light or L. Would you have done the same with a Death Note? Maybe not. Maybe you'd have killed your innocent enemies. Maybe Light was creating a better world after all. Maybe his actions were generous. Maybe we all have a twisted sense of right and wrong. Either way, you can't group him as a sociopath OR reasonable.
Point proven?
Nothing is here desu~
Sep 20, 2015 4:26 AM

Sep 2015
FloatingIdiot said:

Seriously?
You cannot be serious right now.
Are you high? Were you high the whole series?

...Well, watch it again! Or maybe you just can't appreciate true genius. Still, Light didn't pull off impossible shit for 12 volumes and 37 episodes for this, y'know.
Nothing is here desu~
Sep 20, 2015 4:30 AM

Sep 2015
Marloges said:
I was totally on his site, he wanted to make the world better. Sure, he made a lot of "evil things" like killing fake L in the second episode, but for me Light is the hero.

Well fuck you.
Light was... troubled. He was genius, sure, but he didn't get the concept of right and wrong at all. And the Death Note only further corrupted him.

Giving people what they "deserve"? Right, you think?
What about mass-murdering to suit your own whims and your FUCKING INCURABLE GOD COMPLEX? Still right? Still a hero?
Think about it. I actually pity him, but not because I support him or anything.
Nothing is here desu~
Nov 12, 2015 5:06 AM

Oct 2015
WhichOneIsKirk said:
My view is that Light was doing the right thing up until he started going after L / the police, because then it's not just taking out criminals, but it's taking out innocent people who are trying to catch you, which is a dick move.

Then you have the whole "criminals could be innocent" debate, which always sways me against corporal punishment, but just look at prisons these days: full, happy places, hell, homeless people even commit crimes over here to get into prison for a warm room and food (as said by my law teacher). A little killing to ease up the prison population and put a little old fear into the hearts of men goes a long way.

He was NEVER doing the right thing. What gives him the right to play God and to decide what is or isn't right? Making that decision by itself makes him evil. He's a psychopath, plain and simple. I haven't even finished the series because I find his character so unlikable. I can't believe there are people out there who think he's the good guy. Everything he's done so far is all for him. So he can be God, so he'll be worshipped because hes the best, the smartest and everyone else should bow to his vastly superior sense of wisdom and judgment. Even when helping his sister out with her homework early on it was still all about him. He didn't do it because he cared or to help. He did it to show her how much better he is. The simple fact is that killing criminals was just an excuse for him. Notice how he starts with murderers and rapists but not too long after is going after simple thieves, jaywalkers, the police, and anyone and everyone who gets in his way. He has a God complex. He is evil. He is the very definition of evil. We are not judge, jury and executioners and as horrible as it is sometimes even criminals have rights. That's what sets us apart from them. We must do things as fair as we can, with honor and with justice on our side. If not then we are no better than they are.

He wasn't corrupted by power. Power just revealed his corruption. He was always rotten inside and without that book who knows, maybe he'd be a Senator or lawyer or any other number of professions that Psychopaths can flourish so well in. Light is evil personified and humankind at it's worst. He is what we all would be without empathy. He's incapable of love, of caring of any real emotions. He's only able to experience the lesser emotions such as jealousy, anger, resentment, etc. I tend to feel bad for people without empathy because empathy is such a beautiful gift. It's what connects us all and without it you get someone like Light.
Nov 12, 2015 7:36 AM
Jul 2015
A little bit of both.
Mar 15, 2016 4:20 AM

Mar 2016
Motive, and Means.

Without my condoning it, Light's initial impulse to make the world better by ridding it of violent criminals and "bad people" (think genocidal politicians and warmongering world leaders) is at least understandable; Light's not wrong when he points out to Ryuk the web-responses to Kira versus the rote-responses of "killing is always bad."

But then we get to the two big problems with his means:

1. All people have the capacity for Good and/or Evil; few are solely one or the other. And, the human population is always regenerating itself every day as old people die and babies are being born, so, the the capacity for Good and Evil is always evolving and renewing.

2. Kira's "New World Order" is based upon Fear and Intimidation of his "God-Like" ability to kill those he perceives as Evil; this is egomania taken to an extreme.

Then, we get to the fact that Kira begins to see anyone who opposes him, even police (who might be somewhat sympathetic to his initial motives) as his enemies, that must be eliminated, and then Light progresses to seeing anyone who disagrees with him as worthy of death (newscasters and editorial commentators).

Added to the fact that he "lowers the bar" of Kira's judgement to killing people suspected of crimes, but having never been convicted in a court of law. Police have been known to make mistakes, and may bring in the wrong person as a suspect, just to have them cleared a short time later when further investigation reveals their innocence.

So now Kira's "World" is bereft of not only any semblance of Justice or due process, but also bereft of freedom of religion (priests denouncing Kira as a false god) as well as freedom of expression (those who oppose Kira's judgement on moral principle and publicly say so).

I'm not a clinical psychologists capable of rendering a diagnosis of sociopathy, but in my book, the boy ain't right in the head to start with, and goes downhill rapidly in the series.
I am the one you warned me of.
Mar 26, 2016 9:10 PM

Feb 2010
Flevalt said:
"Evil"What "evil" is a thief?
Is it the fact that they took something from someone else without permission?
That they did not bother with local customs or tradition?
Or because they broke a law?

Don't people sympathize with thieves who selflessly rob for the sake of others a la Robin Hood? So through different reasoning, taking something without permission can become something that is considered the right thing to do or the wrong.
So that's not what makes a thief evil.

A mass murderer is on a COMPLETELY different scale than stealing. This is taking away another human's being life we are talking about. I would also like to point out that Yagami Light even kills innocent people, and basically anyone who opposes him or tries to stop him.
Apr 4, 2016 12:51 PM
Apr 2016
I think people watching the anime are too emotionally engaged to see Light's actions as anything other than evil. We  view them this way because of society's influence but what we need to do is step back, emotionally alienate ourselves from the events and think about this logically.

Light very wisely states to Ryuk (and I think this is overlooked too much in discussions about this) that when people are asked whether killing criminals is the right thing to do most people ride their moral high horse into the sunset and say, "No. Everyone has a right to life. " Light correctly points out that this is the answer that people give because they are too scared to say the truth about how they truly feel. Society has made us cowards to say the truth because we are so afraid of social disapproval. Light makes the difficult decisions for everyone, acting on urges we are to afraid to say. I can not think of a better person to do this because he has the intelligence, the means and the courage to do the right thing.

To further my point I will use an example. Two families, A and B, are living in poverty. The father in both families barely makes enough money for them to survive. Both families have a young 3 year old son. It's been a month where hardly any money has come in and they haven't had food for a significant amount of time. Father A steals a life of bread to feed his frail son and wife whilst father B does nothing because it is the " right " thing to do. The child in family B passes away shortly after. Who is the better Father? Father A, in committing a crime, has saved his sons life whilst Father B does nothing, resulting in the death of his son. Father A did the necessary evil to achieve the greater good. He took the risk to achieve his role as the father figure.

Light does pretty much the same thing. Instead of sitting in his room and complaining that the world is rotten, he is given the opportunity to change it and does not hesitate in doing so. He is committing a necessary evil to achiever the greater good. Frankly it is a means to end.

What people get wrong on the issue of Light's moral compass isn't that he has a distorted view of right and wrong. Rather the issue with his character is that he has a pure, definite view of right and wrong. He sees his world in black and white, good and bad, no in between, and that is why we see him as evil. He takes the extreme route which proves to be the most effective route to achieve good. If that route involves innocent blood shed for a greater cause than so be it. Remember that no war was won with no casualties. Countries risked their soldiers' lives to achieve peace. The war on crime is no different. Another reason why Light is the perfect person to lead people into his crime free world. He doesn't fear doing the dirty work so that the innocent can benefit. Are his methods extreme? Most definitely. Does he kill innocent people to achieve his goal? Damn right he does. Is it the right thing to do? If the question is how to achieve a world with no crime then a resounding yes. It's difficult to swallow but it is the truth.

As for mental health, as a psychology student I see him more psychopathic than sociopathic. He emulates emotions very well, making him seem normal to the regular person. He carefully plans his murders and he shows no sign of empathy to others. A sociopath has little emotional intelligence unlike a psychopath, sociopaths are made because of their environment growing up so they have the ability to feel emotions, just not as much as a normal person. Pyschopaths are born not being able to feel these emotions but are able to fake them very well, unlike sociopaths. Also sociopathic murderers are more sloppy in their actions and act out of impulse most often.

TL:DR Light is a psychopath with a strict view of right and wrong. He is right in his actions to achieve the greater good.
Jun 8, 2016 6:15 AM

Oct 2015
WhichOneIsKirk said:

Even before he went after L and the police he was doing the wrong thing. He was NEVER a good guy and is a textbook psychopath. One does not play God. It is not up to him who is good or bad and we have laws and even criminals are protected under those laws. As much as I dislike it at times those laws are in place for a reason. Light NEVER did anything else for other people. He was NOT trying to make the world a better place. He was NOT trying to help society or victims of crimes. He was doing it for selfish reasons. He wanted to be God. His sole reason for taking out criminals was so the masses would see him as he sees himself. As better, smarter, greater.....as a God.

Even when he helped his sister with her homework he did it for selfish reasons. He did everything for himself. Narcissism and a massive ego go hand in hand with being a psychopath. They have NO empathy and do not view others as people. Another human is the same thing as a piece of trash to them. They're to be used and disposed of as they see fit. He was a villain and was so unlikable that I could barely keep watching the show. It's hard to follow a show with such a clear cut psychopath. How do you root for someone so evil? The ting that really gets me is how people prop him up and think he's the good guy. That is very troubling. As much as we'd all love to just do what we want and "make the world a better place." The ends do NOT justify the means. I'm sure the Nazi's thought they were the good guys during WWII. Hitler probably perceived himself as a hero and was ridding the world of what he hated. That's what happens when we start to play God and think we and we alone have the right to choose what is right or wrong for the world. What makes Light so darn special that he should get to do this? Because he can? Because he's smart (although his intelligence is highly debatable) or because he's good looking (again debatable)? His sense of sense of self entitlement is off the charts. He should not be looked up to, praised or even given a second thought as a hero. No more than Hitler should. Evil is evil no matter how you want to dress it up.

I remember reading about school's banning Death Note or Death Notebooks because all the kiddies who had seen the show were going around and making their own death books where they'd write the names in it of other people that they didn't like. How ridiculous is that? Death Note is a anime, a cartoon and has no basis on reality. Instead of using a stupid fantasy to try and deal with one's problems they would be better served by looking at reality and taking some action. Maybe talk to someone, talk to the person you don't like, try to make friends with them, understand them. You might find you have a lot in common with them. If you're unable to befriend them then turn the other cheek if you're able. Defend yourself if you're not. Tell an adult, teacher, someone instead of playing make believe and making a Death Note(book). That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read about. Would you really want all these kids to have a real Death Note? Can't you see how even the most altruistic person around might be tempted to use that for their own selfish purposes. And let's be clear here Light was not altruistic, nice or kind...not even in the beginning. He truly wasn't helping anyone. He wasn't tempted because of the notebook and it wasn't the note book's fault. All it did was enable him to be himself and to show his true colors. The only thing that had held him back was fear of retribution or being caught. Having that Death Note took that fear away from him and he thought he could get away with it. He was never a good person, period.

Evil rarely views itself as evil so be careful who you decide to raise up.
Jun 17, 2016 5:16 AM

May 2016
A kid who played God then corrupted by power.

At least his development and ideal is great.
Though the way he approach it is dumb. or he just used that as excuse and go mad with his killing.
Jul 22, 2016 11:35 AM
May 2015
Only a complete sociopath would disagree with how Near defined Light: "A twisted mass murder who thinks of himself as god. Nothing more, nothing less."
TheBuddahmanJul 22, 2016 12:00 PM
Jul 23, 2016 2:05 PM

Jul 2016
He is an anti hero, rooted for him throughout the series!
Jul 23, 2016 2:09 PM

Mar 2015
TheBuddahman said:
Only a complete sociopath would disagree with how Near defined Light: "A twisted mass murder who thinks of himself as god. Nothing more, nothing less."

I disagree. He was a twisted mass murderer. But I ain't a complete sociopath, and sociopaths have to be antisocial, so if anyone was antisocial, it was L.
Jul 26, 2016 3:29 AM
May 2015
TShady said:
TheBuddahman said:

I disagree. He was a twisted mass murderer. But I ain't a complete sociopath, and sociopaths have to be antisocial, so if anyone was antisocial, it was L.

Nah, you mix these 2 labels, an ideal example of sociopath are your average greedy CEO, who should have social skills to succeed whether he like socializing or not. Similarly, it isnt like Light was an extrovert or something, being mr perfect he had elite social skills which he would mostly use for personal gains.
Apr 23, 2017 10:17 AM

Jan 2017
Flevalt said:
"Evil"
"Sociopath"
"Psychopath"

People want something they can articulate in order to describe their feelings.
That's what these words are. They describe something people want to despise. But in the very moment you have to resort to using them to describe someone, you are distancing yourself from the attempt to understand what they are supposed to stand for.

What "evil" is a thief?
Is it the fact that they took something from someone else without permission?
That they did not bother with local customs or tradition?
Or because they broke a law?

Don't people sympathize with thieves who selflessly rob for the sake of others a la Robin Hood? So through different reasoning, taking something without permission can become something that is considered the right thing to do or the wrong.
So that's not what makes a thief evil.

Local customs are what people consider to be proper behavior where they come from. In a different culture, you might find yourself to be the bad guy quite fast no matter what you consider "objectively" right and wrong. Thievery is something that is looked down upon in (almost) every country of the world. If something is considered to be proper, then you are expected to act that way by others. That's what morals are.
And if your morals dictate that thievery is wrong, then it is wrong.
It works that way very much like the law itself. When it is written that something is wrong, then people believe that this is how it is supposed to be.

Again, what evil is a thief then?
The thief is but a petty dancer to the rhythm of his surroundings.
His intentions are clearly of importance to people, but the intentions don't decide whether he is right or wrong in his doing. Above all else, it is the law that decides.
In the eyes of the people, he is the idiot for getting caught and deserves to be punished.

The CEO of a corporation getting over 1 Billion in revenues every year goes against everything that is considered to be morals by international standards. His corporation is above the law, since his corporation earns comparatively so much more money than other companies, that he can easily bribe courts and political representatives alike.
Neither morals nor law can make this person evil. He stands above others almost like a god. He is the person who deserves to be where he is and do whatever he wants, because he was smart enough to manage to get there in the first place.

People approve of that which they claim to hate so much.
They embrace being the evildoers. As long as they are on the side of the winners, that's all that matters. The fact that it is so easy for people to be so indifferent towards the truth and live with themselves so light-heartedly and happily is the proof of their wrongdoing.

Gandhi said the same thing his own way once: The Earth provides enough for every human's needs, but not enough for everyone's greed. And that's what it runs down to in the end. The human is not a being of reason, and how could it? In every village and city I can point you to a person who lacks it entirely and to another man who was blessed with more than he needs of it. But greed is something every human has. It's what moves us into action. Greed is what makes us human. An animal on the other hand has no greed, it stops desiring after it's basic needs are covered.
If people cared about what is right and what is wrong, then there would be no poor countries and no people starving. The living proof can be found in Latin America, Asia and Africa.

People glorify democracy and the civilized Western ways as if they had managed to improve on human faults, but in reality it's just the patricians of the West indulging themselves in luxury with the poor countries doing the work for them in a globalized world.

Yagami Light, the sociopath. If you are able to live with yourself in a westernized country, then you are by definition a sociopath.
Yagami Light is me, you and everyone of us. That's something the series tried to convey. The lyrics of Zetsubou Billy make it plain obvious if you haven't caught on from the series. That's why they call him Kira.
In latin it stands for "light". As in Yagami light.
In Japanese, it's how the word "Killer" is pronounced.

If you think you have justice on your side more than anyone else, you are lying to yourself. We are all Killer.

Dude! *double high five*
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
May 7, 2017 10:45 PM

Feb 2016
There are two things to say about the morality of what Light is doing.

One, is the internal consistency of what he does and how he is portrayed. From the very beginning, Light was portrayed as an ambitious villain who has a strong sense of what he considers to be justice. The sense that Light is wrong in his views is underscored by the constant colored highlights where he is smiling in a sinister way and speaks in quite evil dialogues. His later moments of maniacal laughter and sense of superiority only drive home the point that he is not someone we should be admiring or rooting for. His God complex and his desire for a utopian ideal is actually shown in sympathetic light. I mean, who wouldn't want a world without crime, right? The problem is that Light views the world in black and white terms. There are "bad " people who do bad things and deserve to be punished by death. The appearance of Mikami, the prosecutor, is a clear caricature of Light and it is no mistake he often talks of Mikami as the 'perfect right hand" for Kira. They both see the world in their black and white terms, except Mikami explicitly states this in his foolish monologue where he claims that there are only two types of people, good and bad. I think we can all agree that this is blatantly false.

There is also the problem with Light's killing of the innocent. He kills multiple innocent people quite early on. I think the first victims are the FBI agents. However, killing of the innocent is not the most worrisome part because after all, you could possibly justify killing the innocent if it guarantees the end result. One of the largest problems with Death Note's writing is that we seldom know why criminals are killed and Light's ethical code is not clear. I seem to recall a couple of points in the show where Light mentions heavy crimes and so on, but there are points where criminals are killed as soon as their names are broadcast to the public. Perhaps this is me not being informed on how the penal system works in Japan or in the show's internal universe. It is possible that Japan only broadcasts the names and faces of people who have already been convicted of the most serious crimes like rape and murder. I don't know.

Despite my lack of knowledge on this, it is not clear whether Light is killing anyone under the umbrella of "criminal" no matter the heft of their crime. That essentially means that he could have killed people for something as minor as theft or assault or whatever other laws may land someone in jail for petty crimes. It is possible that there were people convicted for drug use or prostitution or other victim-less crimes, again, depending on Japan's legal system. That is also not counting the percentage of innocent people who are mistakenly convicted of crimes. Light and his accomplices must have killed at least one person who was wrongfully convicted, hence, they have killed an innocent unwittingly.

The second has to do with our own moral views in the real world. I think what Light did was clearly immoral, even if he had not killed any innocent people and just kept killing prisoners at a slower rate as to avoid discovery. His moral code is already mistaken. The world is not black and white. There are few truly good and bad people. Sure, there are Ted Bundy's of the world, terrorists, and mass shooters who are evil and cannot function without causing a net loss in human happiness, but many criminals who end up being convicted are otherwise normal people who end up doing bad things because of emotions or other influences. There are many instances where we consider murder to be justified. Theft to be justified. Assault to be justified. Many current laws simply do not make sense, for instance, being convicted for possession of illicit drugs or other victim-less crimes like gambling and prostitution. So to say that simply because you're a criminal you deserve to die is to ignore the complexities of the human life and the severity of legal and social transgressions. That is precisely why we have variable sentencing and not just the death penalty for any theft or murder.

There is also even the problem of killing people in general. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. Exactly what crimes should constitute a death penalty? Murder of one? Murder of two? Murder of 20? Theft of one million dollars? It is very difficult to justify a concept such as the death penalty when you're operating on emotions such as vengeance. I don't see a rational moral reason why murdering someone should lead to the death of the murderer any more or less than it should lead to the death of someone who steals someone of extreme value to someone else or destroys that very same thing. We value human life on a more or less similar plane, at least logically, and once we start killing, I'm not sure how to stop the buck.

Light's plan is also quite naive in that he thinks he's incorruptible and morally just. The Death Note has already corrupted him and we have clearly seen that Light was ready to kill any innocent person who stood in his way, even his own sister. That's not moral and even the most utilitarian moral theorist should recoil in his/her seat after seeing Light's reasoning stoop so low.

May 17, 2017 3:22 PM
May 2017
My version of Light

Light: I made up the God just to connect to social, to watch how people act and say about what I'm doing. Kira is just my messages.

The notebook is not my power, my power is come from my willing to see this world get better.

I'm doom and even lost my soul, my happyness, my smile.

You see! Instead. I can lie while I'm look into someone eyes

Are you pity me or support me....
May 17, 2017 4:56 PM
May 2017
IchigoRadiance said:
@Ghostony
In Light's ideal world, people would become perfect citizens who would just forgo the crime altogether, but he forgot that most Light's world was also one without forgiveness, if you mess up, you're dead. It was most apparent in his dealings with those around him. The biggest crime in his book was disagreeing with him. By that point, he had lost it.

Good to point out. Really good to bring into question, how Light better world will work. When light and dark, yin and yang always connected
May 17, 2017 5:07 PM
May 2017
Saucy said:
There are two things to say about the morality of what Light is doing.

One, is the internal consistency of what he does and how he is portrayed. From the very beginning, Light was portrayed as an ambitious villain who has a strong sense of what he considers to be justice. The sense that Light is wrong in his views is underscored by the constant colored highlights where he is smiling in a sinister way and speaks in quite evil dialogues. His later moments of maniacal laughter and sense of superiority only drive home the point that he is not someone we should be admiring or rooting for. His God complex and his desire for a utopian ideal is actually shown in sympathetic light. I mean, who wouldn't want a world without crime, right? The problem is that Light views the world in black and white terms. There are "bad " people who do bad things and deserve to be punished by death. The appearance of Mikami, the prosecutor, is a clear caricature of Light and it is no mistake he often talks of Mikami as the 'perfect right hand" for Kira. They both see the world in their black and white terms, except Mikami explicitly states this in his foolish monologue where he claims that there are only two types of people, good and bad. I think we can all agree that this is blatantly false.

There is also the problem with Light's killing of the innocent. He kills multiple innocent people quite early on. I think the first victims are the FBI agents. However, killing of the innocent is not the most worrisome part because after all, you could possibly justify killing the innocent if it guarantees the end result. One of the largest problems with Death Note's writing is that we seldom know why criminals are killed and Light's ethical code is not clear. I seem to recall a couple of points in the show where Light mentions heavy crimes and so on, but there are points where criminals are killed as soon as their names are broadcast to the public. Perhaps this is me not being informed on how the penal system works in Japan or in the show's internal universe. It is possible that Japan only broadcasts the names and faces of people who have already been convicted of the most serious crimes like rape and murder. I don't know.

Despite my lack of knowledge on this, it is not clear whether Light is killing anyone under the umbrella of "criminal" no matter the heft of their crime. That essentially means that he could have killed people for something as minor as theft or assault or whatever other laws may land someone in jail for petty crimes. It is possible that there were people convicted for drug use or prostitution or other victim-less crimes, again, depending on Japan's legal system. That is also not counting the percentage of innocent people who are mistakenly convicted of crimes. Light and his accomplices must have killed at least one person who was wrongfully convicted, hence, they have killed an innocent unwittingly.

The second has to do with our own moral views in the real world. I think what Light did was clearly immoral, even if he had not killed any innocent people and just kept killing prisoners at a slower rate as to avoid discovery. His moral code is already mistaken. The world is not black and white. There are few truly good and bad people. Sure, there are Ted Bundy's of the world, terrorists, and mass shooters who are evil and cannot function without causing a net loss in human happiness, but many criminals who end up being convicted are otherwise normal people who end up doing bad things because of emotions or other influences. There are many instances where we consider murder to be justified. Theft to be justified. Assault to be justified. Many current laws simply do not make sense, for instance, being convicted for possession of illicit drugs or other victim-less crimes like gambling and prostitution. So to say that simply because you're a criminal you deserve to die is to ignore the complexities of the human life and the severity of legal and social transgressions. That is precisely why we have variable sentencing and not just the death penalty for any theft or murder.

There is also even the problem of killing people in general. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. Exactly what crimes should constitute a death penalty? Murder of one? Murder of two? Murder of 20? Theft of one million dollars? It is very difficult to justify a concept such as the death penalty when you're operating on emotions such as vengeance. I don't see a rational moral reason why murdering someone should lead to the death of the murderer any more or less than it should lead to the death of someone who steals someone of extreme value to someone else or destroys that very same thing. We value human life on a more or less similar plane, at least logically, and once we start killing, I'm not sure how to stop the buck.

Light's plan is also quite naive in that he thinks he's incorruptible and morally just. The Death Note has already corrupted him and we have clearly seen that Light was ready to kill any innocent person who stood in his way, even his own sister. That's not moral and even the most utilitarian moral theorist should recoil in his/her seat after seeing Light's reasoning stoop so low.

You are good. I have a feeling your eyes is sharp, you see through him somehow. You did your homework well. I give you 100 point with bonus at the end of the years.
Sep 5, 2017 9:01 PM
Sep 2017
Light is absolutely a sociopath, quite possibly schizophrenic with Kira, definitely narcissistic and ultimately gravitates from an undiagnosed depressive to full blown, raging, psychotic break in the end. With the Death Note, he believes himself a God of justice, and in authority to pass judgement of certain death on the mere accused, despite knowing for himself whether or not they are actually innocent or guilty of the crimes they are accused of. Light claims to kill criminals, but will actually murder anybody who is on potatoe chip TV accused of a crime, regardless of their innocence, for the purpose of preventing future crimes, such as the murders he is in fact committing himself by writing in the Death Note, in which he is using to prevent crimes. Ladies and gentlemen, It does not get anymore insane that. He was simply bored out of his mind with his life, bc he believes he's better than everyone and no one offers him a challeng. L, provided that challenge in a game, in which Light ultimately lost in the end.

Now, onto L. Another absolute sociopath which is surprisingly being missed. We can technically blame L for Light taking justice into his own hands by murdering the accused whose cases have been dropped. Light felt the justice system had fail and since L is apart of a group of the best detectives in the world, there really shouldn't be any reason why so many killers ended up with dropped cases. L was more concerned with winning than the failing justice system in which L is contributing to. L will unjustly use inmates on deathrow like lab rats just to test his theories of Kira and the Death Note, despite knowing for himself whether or not these inmates are actually innocent or guilty, for the purpose of simply getting a step closer to bringing Kira to justice. In.. sane. L claims to want justice but is infact a criminal himself, who will abuse his authority, steal, commit invasions of privacy and command torture all the while, nonchalantly giving himself diabetes bc he is obsessed with winning.. and sugar. L is simply bored out of his mind with his life bc no one offeres him a challege. Kira, provides that challenge in a game in which L ultimaley loses in the- (see where Im going here?) Light and L, are basically both paths and boy, do I love villains. The character developments is always so deep.

The only consistent guy was actually Ryuk. Whether or not it was actually his Death Note, he was merely fulfilling his purpose as a God of Death, which he may have actually provided death to those who where suffering in illness aswell, so lending his Death Note full of instructions, rules, regulations, terms and conditions to a human who was creating death was fitting of Ryuk's purpose. He also gave Light multiple opportunities to relinquish the Death Note.

Now when will the creators start making episode's of Life Note?
GyallicgirlSep 5, 2017 10:08 PM

More topics from this board

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

62 by CirceOwO »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

916 by SnipersKgrooWife »»
Apr 16, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

itainteazy - Apr 4, 2007

393 by decco6226 »»
Apr 13, 8:10 PM

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

27 by egosumjohn »»
Apr 10, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xXDaijinkazeXx - Apr 15, 2009

127 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.