Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 3, 2015 9:57 AM
Nov 2014
What the fuck it actually happened! I cannot believe that Yang would die this fast.... truly a tragic death, if only he didn't took that goddamn sleeping pil maybe he would have survived. I didn't expect this plot twist, I'm in shocked.
Jun 6, 2015 3:00 AM

Aug 2014
I was not expecting this at all, poor yang. I thought Julian would come at the last minute to save him.
Jun 19, 2015 3:55 PM

Oct 2012
Didn't have nearly the impact it should've do to the mistake of reading episode discussions after episodes early on while watching this anime. Stupid anime fans talking about freaking death flags, trying to sound smart and spoiling everything for people. Are you losers satisfied?

Jun 20, 2015 6:53 PM

May 2012
OMG did they really kill of the Magical Yang off with a leg shot? I mean come on so many good man have died already with better deaths and they kill of one of the main characters like this? This can't be it right? Please tell me I'm wrong :'(

Either way this episode was just fantastic, really intense and had great development but I really didn't want to see Yang get cut off like that :/
Jun 20, 2015 7:57 PM

Sep 2010
Mirorin said:
STUPID EPISODE TITLE SPOILED IT. DAMMIT.
"The Magician Doesn't Return" gives it away, you know!

When I saw the title I screamed cause Yang was my fav since I watched the Spiral Labyrinth Gaiden at least it wasn't that douche Fork that would have really pissed me off.

I actually knew Yang was going to die as soon as I watched the ending theme for the first time in the main series. I mean come on all the endings hinted at it cause in the first ending Julian was looking up at Reinhard, in the second one he is the only character who isn't among the stars and is wearing his pilot suit, and in the third ending he is going through old photos. So from the very start it was pretty much screaming out he was going to become Yang's successor at some point. I just didn't think it would be this early I was thinking more towards the end like in the 90s or something not in the 80s. Still in denial -___-
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 22, 2015 10:39 PM
Jun 2014
Yang Wenli was the main attraction I had to this show. Now that he's gone it is going to be hard to finish this. I really hope they find a way to make the show entertaining without him.
Jul 13, 2015 2:35 AM

Feb 2013
Easily one of the best, if not the best anime death in history.

It takes guts for a writer to kill off an MC not in a majestic battle and honorable way but in a cheap shot , and without even knowing who killed him. Usually MCs will just bandage up a wounded leg but Yang dying shows the horrible horrors of life, no one dies in spectacular fashion and sometimes it happens when you're all alone.

This will be with me for a long time.

Also, not getting spoiled at all really made this better. I didn't watch OPs,EDs or previews. So if u recommend this show to someone STRONGLY tell them to do the same.
Jul 13, 2015 3:09 PM

Nov 2014
WOW, that left me speechless for a while.
Aside from the narrator scum that spoiled earlier by saying Julian would later regret letting Yang leave iserlohn (don't have to be a genius to figure out that one..), that was really how you should write a story. Yang was probably one of my all time favorite characters and to have him die In such an "earthly" way was really better than any spectacular death in game of thrones. This series is not about war but rather about the meaningless of it. It's so existential at times that Yangs death really falls perfectly in that narrative. Death comes to everyone just the same. For that, I think this was a genius anime moment. It really took this anime beyond you regular "main heroes never die" theme.
However I really don't know how good can it still get without Yang, and I can't help but wonder, are the best episodes already behind me?
Which is a bummer, You don't ever want to feel that way with any story.
I wonder if the kaiser will lose it when he hears about it.
Jul 19, 2015 9:45 PM

Dec 2013
What fucking shitty way to die. I shot through the leg? Seriously? This episode was depressing. The narrations made it obvious he was going to die but I was still clinging onto the hope that he'll be ok :(
Jul 20, 2015 4:02 AM

Oct 2013
Shinjirarenai!!! Chikushou!
Jul 28, 2015 9:32 PM

Sep 2013
This is one of the most powerful episodes I've ever seen in anime. Even the name itself is just so beautiful and sad at the same time.

:(
Aug 7, 2015 3:48 PM

Dec 2008
Yang Wen-li... My heart is broken. I don't even want to watch the remaining episodes anymore.

Sent with Mal Updater
Aug 7, 2015 9:54 PM
May 2014
Shit, man. What can even happen from here on besides Reinhard winning? What will fill the next 20-some episodes?

btw, I loved that Yang's death was an Ashita no Joe reference. Made doubly as depressed, since the scene it's referencing is also a major tearjerker.
Aug 14, 2015 5:33 AM

Feb 2008
Oh well, the show was pro Empire anyway, so it's not like FPA had much screentime or development. With Wenli out of the way, FPA barely has notable characters. Guess now the show will focus even more on Empire and maybe the lolEarthCult.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 19, 2015 4:03 PM

May 2014
I still can't get over yang's death .
Given the right situation , the right story , anyone can be shaped into Snake.
-Revolver Ocelot , MGS2
Aug 20, 2015 2:54 AM

Jan 2015
Damn, he's gone. Fuck, man.

I salute you, Yang Wenli.

Rest in peace.

Status_EffectAug 20, 2015 3:00 AM
Aug 21, 2015 3:28 AM
Aug 2015
While Yang's death is tragic and awful, it was kind of expected he was going to die somehow. Being killed by some random nobodies made him a martyr, and that's one of the best ways he could've gone out. Had he died in battle against Reinhard, this serious would be over already, and the entire Alliance effort would be ended immediately. Instead, they now have a hero who has given his life for his cause, and renewed efforts in their fight.

You will be missed, Hero of El Facil and Astarte, Miracle Yang, Magician Yang.
Aug 26, 2015 10:21 AM

May 2012
son of a bitch.... thats probably one of the saddest deaths ive seen in a long time, and the op lied, there is need for crying....
Oct 16, 2015 6:58 AM

Feb 2014
I can't believe Yang died like that i wanted him to die in epic battle against Reinhard
Nov 1, 2015 1:06 AM

Nov 2012
wow that episode was really well done. Honestly, I had already been spoiled on Yang's death but I really didn't expect for events to go like this. I mean they even learned of assination attempt beforehand and rosennritters got there probably very close to rescuing him to the point where julian was in earshot range next hall over ugh! I did find it odd that dude only left it at simply shooting yang in the leg and not making sure he killed him.

I wonder if those empire guys were in on the assassination plot with the earth cult and Fork was just bait? Although I will say I swear it stupid as hell right after an assassination attempt, you immediately open your bridge to another ship although it was devious as fuck they were the ones who appeared to have saved yang. As soon as I would have learned about any assassination attempt, I would have went immediately back to the fortress called off any in person talks.

Ohhh Reinhard is going to be pissed and yang side going to be pissed. If its the earthcults doing this is a masterstroke on their part. I hope Reinhard eventually finds out who really behind yangs assassination and dish out justice big time.

I mean it looks like Rienhard was even esepecially inspired by a vision of Kircheis of all damn things to peacefully talk with Yang, and this directly goes against that so of course he's going to rage hard!

I'm really intrested as to what the rest of the series can be from here on out. Theres still the earth cultists and the phezzan dude, but its not going to be same without yang. My favorite character of the show by and far!
Nov 1, 2015 1:15 AM

Nov 2012
Even all of that being said, it was easy to get the feeling once yang started getting dragged back into the conflict after the FPA defeat at end of season 2 , that he really was going to his doom. You could tell he wasn't into it and was so indecisive, just red flags everywhere. I kept telling myself if he could have only just stay there, no one try to break him out.

But who knows, I think there would have eventually been multiple attempts on his life anyway no matter where he was especially in any empire controlled territory.
Nov 23, 2015 9:15 PM

Oct 2013
When I entered Yang Wenli in google to find my new MAL picture the first suggestion it gave was Yang Wenli's Death..... So I was basically spoiled that he dies when I was at like 30 episodes in. Also, people saying that the 82nd episode is the best one , completely spoiled that he dies in this ep. Narrator's foreshadowing for the past ~4 episodes didn't help either.
But it still hit me pretty damn hard, can't imagine how I would feel if I wasn't ready for it.
Nov 29, 2015 3:24 PM

Apr 2015
Fuck... :'(
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Dec 27, 2015 12:42 AM

Jul 2013
Orangevision said:
ChaosLegion said:
...i wantet Yang to die so badly...

That just can't be healthy.

Why are you still watching? just don't please, if you hate Yang then there's no reason to continue watching.
Jan 27, 2016 11:22 PM

Nov 2013
And I thought the narrative was constantly being in favor of Yang...

I mean, "Miracle Yang" with the absolutely ridicolous disatvantage manages to win/almost win every time, and it really felt like he got a lot more screentime (but perhaps it's even, I didn't count minutes...) so this was a huge shock. This certainly makes things a lot more interesting.

It does make the show a bit more interesting, but still... I can't even fathom the tragedy that will hit poor Frederica :'(
Jan 28, 2016 11:52 PM

Dec 2012
Oh...my...god...at some point I realized this really wasn't going to be a close call or last minute save. It was literally mortifying to watch Yang in his last moments. No final speech to Julian, no last requests, no honorable death. I'm practically crying at this point, it's like the surgeon coming out of the emergency room and shaking his head. I don't know if I want to watch the next episode just for the sole fact that I don't want them to confirm he's really gone.

I can't help but think that Reinhard will start to adopt Yang's views as a result of his death. Perhaps democracy will ironically live on through his greatest rival.
Feb 4, 2016 10:15 PM
May 2015
God I love this show. I actually shed a tear during Yang's death scene. For a few episodes I suspected this would happen. Along with the narrator dropping hints that Yang wouldn't be around, the ending also hinted at his death. I was a bit confused at how calm he was the whole time it was happening. Not sure if he simply accepted what was happening or if it was because he was hopped up on sleeping pills. I will continue to watch this show and the rest that follows afterwards. Needless to say, this is probably the greatest anime I've ever seen and one of the best overall shows.

Pretty much how I felt at the end of this episode:

Alejandro1210Feb 5, 2016 5:07 PM
Feb 8, 2016 7:39 PM

Nov 2014
Well.. This was pretty underwhelming..

Feb 29, 2016 9:18 PM
Jul 2018
Fucking rekt m8.

A well deserved death for Yang Wenli, not at the hands of Reinhard.
Mar 19, 2016 5:46 PM

Apr 2014
so sad
my heart is racing
:(

was a lonely dead.....so peaceful
reinhard is going to be depressed too
Mar 19, 2016 10:51 PM

Jan 2013
I was spoiler long time again before I started the series........so I don't really feel anything about his death
shame on me for reading spoilers. =/
But the way he die is kinda dumb, why the need for him to take a sleeping pill to go to sleep.
And I fear Julian gonna go annoying teenage emo anst.....not looking forward to this. Might think about putting this on hold.
But seriously, I love Yang as a character. He is such a chill character, which is refreshing.
BornWithCHeeSeMar 19, 2016 11:00 PM
Mar 22, 2016 6:00 AM
Feb 2013
Episode 42, one minute in is a total spoiler. Yang pretty much says how it's gonna happen.

I only realized it after watching the series for the third time.

I still shed tears when Yang dies.
Mar 26, 2016 1:57 PM

Apr 2015
Why? Why? Why does this chest feels pain seeing that scene? It's been foreshadowed in the episode 78/79 when the narrator said it's going to be the last time Julian and Yang can talked like that and also the trailer of ep 82 in the end of 81, but just WHY this chest feels pain?!!
Mar 28, 2016 11:39 PM

Mar 2013
Yang's death has already been spoiled for me quite a few number of times. When you Google his name, the first suggestion is like: Yang Wenli death. The third ED also subtly hinted it and the narrator has most definitely foreshadowed it.

What really surprised me was the way he died. He was one of the central characters of the show, but he died in the most anticlimactic way and the one who has caused it was not a significant character . Rather, a random one. That said, it was very poignant and heart-wrenching at the same time. Yang's death is definitely one of the saddest I have seen in anime.

He isn't one of my favorite characters and it has been almost a week since I saw episode 82, yet I still feel like there's a slight twinge in my heart whenever I recall the scene where he died. Very few character deaths has affected me this much and all of them were someone I really liked. Yang is the exception so far. I might say I like him a little, but not so much that I expected to be saddened by his death. If he had gone out in a battle with Reinhard, I doubt it that it would have affected me.

In any case, I still have so much praise to offer to this anime. It's brilliant and realistic in many ways. Yang's death isn't only one of the saddest, but one of the best I've seen.
Mar 31, 2016 6:31 AM

Jun 2014
LoTGH's version of Red Wedding - Red Negotiations.
Apr 1, 2016 10:29 AM

May 2013
LiaNF said:
Yang's death has already been spoiled for me quite a few number of times. When you Google his name, the first suggestion is like: Yang Wenli death. The third ED also subtly hinted it and the narrator has most definitely foreshadowed it.

What really surprised me was the way he died. He was one of the central characters of the show, but he died in the most anticlimactic way and the one who has caused it was not a significant character . Rather, a random one. That said, it was very poignant and heart-wrenching at the same time. Yang's death is definitely one of the saddest I have seen in anime.

He isn't one of my favorite characters and it has been almost a week since I saw episode 82, yet I still feel like there's a slight twinge in my heart whenever I recall the scene where he died. Very few character deaths has affected me this much and all of them were someone I really liked. Yang is the exception so far. I might say I like him a little, but not so much that I expected to be saddened by his death. If he had gone out in a battle with Reinhard, I doubt it that it would have affected me.

In any case, I still have so much praise to offer to this anime. It's brilliant and realistic in many ways. Yang's death isn't only one of the saddest, but one of the best I've seen.

The narrator kinda spoils it...
Apr 18, 2016 4:06 PM

Jan 2016
Manly tears were shed after the conclusion of this episode....

But, the possibilities to make the story more engaging than ever achieved with Yang's death.

Naturally, you'll ask the question.... How does this death affect the Kaiser and his empire, Yang's fleet and the Universe in general?

I can't help but get excited on how it unravels.
Apr 20, 2016 11:39 AM

Jan 2014
I didn't feel a thing. It was probably a bad time for me to watch this.
I wish I watched it at a time when I could feel something.
I ruined this moment forever for myself.
I don't even feel sad that my favourite character died.
Maybe I feel empty because it was such a simple death...
Apr 24, 2016 11:18 AM
Dec 2015
WHAT THE F***?!?!!?

I mean, there were hints all over, but I still didn't expect it to actually happen.
May 23, 2016 11:26 PM

Oct 2011
N-no..... what the fuck

Why must you do this? ; _ ;

Though I already had a feeling that this might happen because of the narrator's foreshadowing

Oh well, can't wait how the universe will react to this. Miracle Yang becomes Bloody Yang.
BlueKiteMay 23, 2016 11:30 PM
Jun 7, 2016 6:47 AM

Mar 2013
Im so mad and so sad that i could leave to watch series from now on. Just why? Why did it have to be like this? Damn...
Jun 16, 2016 10:04 PM

Jun 2014
wth theres still like 30 episodes. and no yang. I hope the Kaiser dies soon to balance that.. Reuenthal still hasnt acted on his internal thoughts either.
Jun 22, 2016 2:06 PM

Aug 2014
I know this was coming, I mean the narrator kept nagging on and on that it was going to come, but somewhere inside me still wanted to believe otherwise...WHY, JUST WHY???
R.I.P Yang Wenli :'(

I'm not looking forward all to everyone to this devastating news...especially poor Frederica.
Jul 9, 2016 10:30 PM

May 2016
After watching episode 82, I decided to go back to episode 81 to watch the preview for 82 and I can't help but hysterically laugh at the narration because omg holy shez. REALLY? REALLY NOW? Thanks to these boards, I've avoided the previews since episode 1 but after watching the preview for 82, I'm just like woooow that narrator. ARE U SERIUS?!? ARE YOU FURREAL?

I knew Yang was going to die because HELLO, HEAVY FORESHADOWING MUCH but to die by being bled to death? Who'd knew... I was going to call it a night after 82 but now I'm just curious to find out what everyone's reactions would be to this. Onwards to 83...
"ドSではない。迢ドSだ." - 蘇芳先生、月華撩乱 Romance

Jul 12, 2016 11:28 PM

Jun 2016
I cannot believe how easy it was for the Earth Cultists/Terraists to slip in through the Imperial military lines, into the Iserlohn Corridor, dock with Yang's ship *despite them knowing about the threat of assassination* and actually kill him. We knew this was coming, which probably made it all the more painful to watch it unfold. It was so very preventable.

Now to see if Yang's claim that terrorism doesn't change the course of history really is true. Somehow I feel that the course of history has already been irreparably changed..

R.I.P. Yang Wenli, the one voice of reason and the lovable tea fanatic.
Aug 5, 2016 11:19 PM

Jan 2015
This was a gut wrenching death to watch through, hitting harder than Kircheis's by a significant amount. All this shows is that Reinhard also probably dies a young death.
Aug 14, 2016 4:14 PM
May 2015
that was so fucking sad and beautifully done. man im in borderline tears.

i did not see that coming at all. i feel like this show gives you such strong death flags for certain characters but they end up never dying while others do unexpectedly.

julian been marked for death from day 1 it seems and hes still here. reinhard been alluding to his own death for a while by ignoring talks about heirs or marriage and fantasazing about yang defeating him gloriously in battle, and hes still alive.

RIP Yang and Kircheis 2 amazing characters.

I hope this doesnt send reinhard into a negative spiral. I cant see him living to the end but I hope for a glorious ending to his magnificance.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2016 7:21 PM
Jan 2012
Goddamnit. This was the worst time for me to see a death like this...
Oct 27, 2016 8:50 PM

Mar 2016
And just like that, The Magician has died
No one was there to see him go.
No one was there to hear his last words.

Very few shows have made me cry even on one occasion. LoGH has made me cry on two.
;_;
Aure0linOct 27, 2016 8:55 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 28, 2016 12:40 AM

Mar 2014
Fred457 said:
And just like that, The Magician has died
No one was there to see him go.
No one was there to hear his last words.

Very few shows have made me cry even on one occasion. LoGH has made me cry on two.
;_;
What was the first occasion? Kircheis?
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.