Forum Settings
Forums

Wao World Produces Original Anime For Elderly Audience

New
Dec 9, 2010 1:31 AM

Feb 2008

Think Corporation and Wao World have announced original anime movie & TV series "Showa Monogatari". The movie will be premiered on January 29th and the TV series will start next April. The target audience are elderly people in their sixties or older.

Showa Monogatari official website

In order to overcome the stagnation of the anime industry due to the declining birthrate and the isolation of the core-fan-oriented titles, the producers took four and a half years to create a slow-paced and easy-to-watch animation. It's a human drama taking place in Tokyo in 1964.

Staff
Director of the movie: Murakami Masahiro ("8-gatsu no Symphony: Shibuya 2002-2003")
Director of the TV series: Kugimiya Hiroshi ("Sugar Bunnies")
Character Design & Animation Director: Yanagino Tatsuo ("First Kiss Monogatari")
Production Studio: Wao World

Cast
Matsumoto Yasunori
Fukuen Misato
Takagi Wataru
Tsukada Masaaki
Yoshino Hiroyuki
Kyouda Hisako
Tamagawa Sakiko
Aoki Makoto

Source: Think Corp.
Sakana-sanJan 30, 2018 5:05 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 9, 2010 1:35 AM

Aug 2009
Sounds interesting. Never have I seen something that's for that old demographics.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Dec 9, 2010 1:40 AM

Oct 2008
Will try and watch - mainly because of Yoshino Hiroyuki.
Dec 9, 2010 1:40 AM

Nov 2009
I am sorry to report that I am not of that age demographic yet, or will be, anytime soon. How unforunate, are they going to have a bunch of 50's puns and references?
Dec 9, 2010 1:42 AM

Nov 2009
This show may turn out to be more boring than Aria.
Dec 9, 2010 1:44 AM

Aug 2010
I'll probably try giving it a chance, if nothing more then out of curiosity to see how they approach elderly viewers.
Dec 9, 2010 1:58 AM

Jan 2009
Sounds interesting, let's hope they didn't make it in black and white .
Truth is, Everybody is going to hurt you, You just gotta to find the ones worth suffering for.
Dec 9, 2010 2:39 AM

Sep 2008
I'm sure they'll attract much wider audience than just the people in their 60's.
At the very least, I'm going to watch and, most certainly, enjoy this, as long as it will receive an english translation.
Dec 9, 2010 2:44 AM
Mar 2009
They've put 4 and a half years of effort into this, unlike current anime which seem to be rushed off the drawing boards barely done (or not done at all *cough*Bakemonogatari*cough*). I'm sure that, while they say it's aimed at an older audience, they're just trying to break out of the hardcore otaku demographic and have made something that will appeal to a much wider audience. I'm gonna check this out.

Dec 9, 2010 3:29 AM

Nov 2008
Since Spring 2011 doesn't look promising at all (I have 4 on ptw, but I would be surprised if even one turns out to be better than half-decent), I might as well take a chance and watch this.

Also, I think it will be the culture gap more than the age gap that will isolate western watchers. Being aimed at older people, I think that traditional Japanese values will feature strongly in this anime, values that western viewers might not able to link with fully.

But as I said, with Spring 2011 shaping up pretty badly, I looks as good as anything announced up to this point.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Dec 9, 2010 4:22 AM

Jan 2009
dtshyk said:

In order to overcome the stagnation of the anime industry due to the declining birthrate and the isolation of the core-fan-oriented titles, the producers took four and a half years to create a slow-paced and easy-to-watch animation.

OMG is this why the animation of Bleach and Naruto are not so action packed as its used to be because japanese are getting old and that they cannot follow fast action sequences???

just kinda a prejudice interpretation in my part
Dec 9, 2010 4:40 AM

Jan 2010
stagnation of the anime industry

Oh, how right that is.

I am proud to have Clannad as the only thing on my dropped list.
Dec 9, 2010 5:00 AM

Dec 2008
I think it may actually be pretty interesting. I'm definitely going to try and watch it if it gets subbed.
Dec 9, 2010 5:07 AM

Nov 2008
well wellwell iwill still give it a try
Dec 9, 2010 5:25 AM

Jun 2009
looks interesting ^o^
Dec 9, 2010 5:29 AM

Mar 2009
I wonder if their target audience will end up liking it.
Dec 9, 2010 6:24 AM

Oct 2009
And here's another anime I'll never touch. Ever.
Dec 9, 2010 6:31 AM

Jun 2008
This looks like exactly the sort of anime I enjoy.
I'm 18.

I feel really old now, OTL
Dec 9, 2010 6:44 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Hmm, need to check this out. It sounds really promising without the usual anime cliche.

As far as you know, it could have to potential to be a masterpiece.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 9, 2010 7:20 AM

Feb 2010
This is interesting, I'll take a look at this :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 9, 2010 10:47 AM

Jun 2010
Age/gender demographics never are a deciding factor when I decide to watch an anime. Looks like a good amount of effort was actually put into this one, so I'll give it a try, it looks interesting for sure.

>20 year old
Dec 9, 2010 10:49 AM

Apr 2010
this could be interesting... its something thats not made for perveted-idoited-minded-teen-freaks...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Dec 9, 2010 1:42 PM

Apr 2008
1964...mm, post-war/family drama?

Yasunori and Takagi *_*
Dec 11, 2010 3:57 PM

Feb 2009
Is there some kind of differences between the kind of shows the elderly in Japan vs. America enjoy?

Because my grandma liked Higurashi and Darker Than Black when she watched them with me :I

Either way, I think I'll be watching this~ |D
Dec 20, 2010 12:30 PM

Jun 2009
Don't like the premise of the "human drama taking place in Tokyo in 1964" but will check it out nonetheless. As far as I understand the creators took their time for making a worthy anime.
The actors are great: Matsumoto, Yasunori (Darker than Black - Kurasawa, Gai, Fullmetal Alchemist - Havoc, Jean), Takagi, Wataru (Tobi - Naruto, Great Teacher Onizuka), Tsukada, Masaaki - let’s hope that in this anime he will be as fit as Yamamoto... and maybe together with Kyouda, Hisako as Kaede (InuYasha) they will kick some asses from 60's (in slow motion :)
It also seems that it would be a meeting place for the cast of Darker than Black, 3 Seiyuus were part of it (Yin, Gai and Sakurai, Kenji), and both new and old Fullmetal Alchemist (Havoc, Elicia Hughes, Grumman and Kimblee).
It’s always interesting to see some new approach so I’m really happy to hear this news. Will be waiting!
Dec 20, 2010 1:27 PM

Nov 2008
I'm not even 30 yet and the post war story is not to my taste (stories with that premise may become a tearjerker or worse depressing really quickly due to possible flashbacks from characters), but I'll still watch it since the creators actually took the time to make this.

Jan 19, 2011 10:36 AM

Aug 2007
Just because it's aimed at an elderly audience shouldn't stop anyone from checking it out. If anything, this will probably be just the kind of show we need to start seeing more often.

No more "WACKY HIGHSCHOOL ROM-COM BASED OFF THE HIT VISUAL NOVEL" crap, please.
HiasJan 19, 2011 10:52 AM

Jan 19, 2011 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
Hias said:
Just because it's aimed at an elderly audience shouldn't stop anyone from checking it out. If anything, this will probably just the kind of show we need to start seeing more often.

No more "WACKY HIGHSCHOOL ROM-COM BASED OFF THE HIT VISUAL NOVEL" crap, please.

indeed. 90% of VN rom-com adaptions are shit. i may check this out for freshness sake.
Jan 31, 2011 8:03 PM

Dec 2009
This looks awesome.
I could use some historical drama on my list.
Feb 5, 2011 6:26 PM

Sep 2008
so..is the movie a sequel or prequel?
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 7, 2011 9:53 PM

Mar 2009
The '60 were a pivotal time all around the world. I am very interested to view it from the Japanese stand point. It wasn't exactly "post war" but things marked "Made in Japan" didn't denote the excellence but carried the same stigma "Made in China" does today.

And just who decided the demographic was "elderly"? Older adult, yes. Elderly, no. Had to make it slow so the old folks could keep up, huh? What they are really talking about is slice-of-life without all the silly school kid stuff. While you are looking down your noses at the slow old fogies they are shaking their heads at your inability to appreciate some of the deeper, darker, more complex series.

I look forward to more sophisticated, realistic offerings. But don't worry. It will hardly replace the stuff you have gotten accustomed to.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Feb 14, 2012 8:59 PM

Feb 2010
Anyone knows if Hadena is at least planning to continue subbing it? Or any other group? Such a shame, I was really looking forward to this.
Feb 15, 2012 10:27 PM

Aug 2011
Smochi said:
This looks like exactly the sort of anime I enjoy.
I'm 18.

I feel really old now, OTL

Lol, I'm 16 and I think I'll be watching this. :D
Apr 20, 2012 11:36 AM
Nov 2011
lisnoire said:
The '60 were a pivotal time all around the world. I am very interested to view it from the Japanese stand point. It wasn't exactly "post war" but things marked "Made in Japan" didn't denote the excellence but carried the same stigma "Made in China" does today.

And just who decided the demographic was "elderly"? Older adult, yes. Elderly, no. Had to make it slow so the old folks could keep up, huh? What they are really talking about is slice-of-life without all the silly school kid stuff. While you are looking down your noses at the slow old fogies they are shaking their heads at your inability to appreciate some of the deeper, darker, more complex series.

I look forward to more sophisticated, realistic offerings. But don't worry. It will hardly replace the stuff you have gotten accustomed to.

Couldn´t agree more.
Apr 20, 2012 12:24 PM

Feb 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Anyone knows if Hadena is at least planning to continue subbing it? Or any other group? Such a shame, I was really looking forward to this.

Seems like Gotwoot picked it up. So much win!
When they finished subbing I'll definitely watch this, looking very much forward to it!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
1 hour ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
Yesterday, 2:11 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.