Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 27, 2010 3:04 AM

Feb 2009
mizsphinx said:
Lmao, in the end, the one character that was the most useless was the only survivor. Oh the irony!

Regardless, though, the sakura scene was touching and Chizuru HAD managed to work her way back up into my good graces the past few episodes. This was the most beautiful episode of the lot, and the most saddest too. I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed some tears...

And:

bubbleslayer said:
his body did not turn into ash like the others..

ok maybe i am trying to deceive myself

I agree. I, also, am trying to deceive myself that Hijikata did not die because his body had not evaporated into ash and he was merely unconscious...or so sleepy after the fight with Kazama...or just wanted to close his eyes and enjoy the feel of Chizuru's lap....yeah, I'm in deep denial at this point...

A light continuation in an OVA perhaps? With Hijikata alive and Chizuru pregnant and they all live happily ever after? Please? Pretty please????

My thoughts exactly. It would be great for an ova like that.
Dec 27, 2010 3:23 AM

Jul 2009
We should change history somehow so that Hijikata and the others may live.... (even though that this is impossible...) it was so sad when I saw everyone ...and the happy lost days...when they were still happy....this dammed WAR which I hate made everyone lose their beloved ones and made Hijikata die!!

I think I 'll curse the history for being so cruel with this people!!
Dec 27, 2010 4:45 AM

May 2010
T.T Kazama~san died in a shitty way~ he could never beat him that easily!!!!!
well it was very touching the kissing scene, i almost cried xD
Dec 27, 2010 8:22 AM

Dec 2009
I was hoping that Hijikata-san wouldn't die and Saito will be still alive (like the historical Saito Hajime) -.- But now... they are all dead :|
Dec 27, 2010 11:53 AM

Aug 2009
WTH!!!;__;

SADDEST ANIME EVER!!!

THEY ALL FREAKEN DIED!!!!! except chizuru...

SO SAD!!! T______T
Dec 27, 2010 12:34 PM

Sep 2009
That had to be one of the most unsatisfying endings I've seen in a while. Next to Togainu no Chi's failure of an ending. To be honest, one my favorite characters died I wouldn't mind if Hijikata died as well, but that ending hardly gave you any closure at all. Sure, there was that cliffhanger that some people find satisfying but still. The final battle scene was anything but epic. Kazama obviously had the upper hand, and you can speculate that he wanted to be felled by Hijikata, but the way they executed that... All in all I'm hoping the two OVA episodes will be better.
Dec 27, 2010 12:43 PM

Jul 2010
OMG This is the end? o.o" I cried (to be honest), I really hoped Hijikata would be alive at the end of the battle... poor Chizuru, "doomed" to be alive without her friends and Hijikata :'(

At least his end was kinda... beautifull with all those sakura trees <3 It was really sad but they've done a great job. I really liked the season even though it were only 10 episodes... But man what a sad plot :(
Dec 27, 2010 4:31 PM

Aug 2009
I'm laughing here though.

I had lost all hope and expectation from the series after episode 6 (SANO DIES = FAIL) and further deaths didn't surprise me much. I really enjoyed the first season. It had moments and some good fights and it had CHARACTERS walking around. This was devastating beyond words. Everything about it. SO much that it's funny.

That little kiss I was waiting for since ... summer? It was pretty much ignorable.
Sayonara my beautiful men. I'll always love you Sano. And Saitou. And Okita.
Dec 27, 2010 5:22 PM

Sep 2009
oh shit...Chizuru never got a shot at happiness?

man the ending blew big time.....that shitfuck Kazama should of left after declaring him an Oni

hopefully he's just taking a nap, cause I sure as hell didn't see his body go out in flames....they should of ended this episode with a year passing by, with Hijikata somehow pulling a plotkai out of his ass, and surviving for that long, with the two getting married and conceiving a child. At least that's what I hoped for.

What I got was Kazama trying to NTR Hijikata the entire series, and doing a piss poor job at that, and the almighty Hijikata put to sleep by a bullet, whom if he wasn't riding the ragetrain while on roids, rushing in like stupid, wouldn't even get him by it.

I sure hope the two OVA's will be the "good" ending, cause god knows Chizuru deserves happiness, and an entire season and most of the eps from the second season of pretending to be a guy.
Dec 27, 2010 8:36 PM

Dec 2010
xxSaspra said:
That had to be one of the most unsatisfying endings I've seen in a while. Next to Togainu no Chi's failure of an ending.

Quote for truth.

Season one was great. I was hooked, so I finished S1 and S2 within a few days of my Christmas break. S2 = love/hate. It revolved too much around death and things like "survive and live on!!! or "don't rush too quickly to your death!!!" bs. This was like every other line.

Maybe I didn't catch certain details since I watched it in one sitting but:

Imo Saitou survived. It's just a feeling. That's what I like best about this anime is that parts are left to the viewer to decide. Heh, the portrayal of Sannan made me hate his guts, up until the double betrayl. It really caught me off guard since he gives off such an evil smartass Aizen traitor vibe (sorry for all the Bleach references).

I don't really care much for the romance between Chizuru and Hijikata. But whenever Chizuru draws her sword, I can't help but get excited since you think you finally get to see her fight. Too bad that never happens. Ever. Ugh, I laugh at the fact that she's an oni. Like wat okay there.

Sad. Beautiful art and music. Hottie bishounens. Recommended tho hahahaha
Dec 28, 2010 5:08 AM
Sep 2009
Very good anime, even considering that I felt that something is missing in both first and second seasons.
Last EP was good, Hiji-Kasama fight was boring, but it's more historical/drama than action anime, so who cares.
It's sad that this anime ended *sob* *sob*
Dec 28, 2010 7:34 PM
Jan 2009

Well at least this episode had more action and

So bummed there is no Saito.
tensainobakaDec 28, 2010 7:43 PM
Dec 29, 2010 4:53 AM
Aug 2010
I refuse to believe he died! If you look at it closely, he's not wearing clothes like he just came out of a battle. (they were bloody) He had both his swords on his side and he would have turned to ash or something. Plus Chizuru said lets see the cherry blossom's next year too, maybe that's why they're there. Anyways, it was night when they fought, then all of a sudden it turned to daytime. Either that's the fastest 9+ hours in anime history or it's a different time period. Unless that's animation fail on Studio DEEN's behalf. Sano's death made me cry, and when everybody died I hated it with a passion. I was like FFFF but yeah, depressing. Feel so empty : ( and Saitou's win.
Dec 29, 2010 2:24 PM
Dec 2009
I just LOVE how Chizuru's the last one standing. [/heavysarcasm]
Dec 29, 2010 4:58 PM

Jul 2010
Immanence said:
Anyways, it was night when they fought, then all of a sudden it turned to daytime. Either that's the fastest 9+ hours in anime history or it's a different time period. Unless that's animation fail on Studio DEEN's behalf.

Lol, denial? :P

If you watched Nurarihyon no Mago or Inuyasha then you'd see the sun rising fast like that all the time. And it's not just those two. It happens in anime a lot. I think it's pretty safe to say Hijikata is dead.

Kaoruyumi said:

Kodou's death was really pathetic. It's like, dude, those are your soldiers. Just tell them not to kill you or Chizuru instead of throwing yourself into their blades. Anyways, just because he's an oni doesn't mean he wouldn't die. Chikage proved that admirably. Kodou wasn't actually her father, but a distant relative. Are we even sure he's a full-blooded oni himself?

As for Shinpachi, they never confirmed what happened to him. He just left and was never shown again. An epic Kenpachi x Ichigo x Byakuya x Hichigo level battle, eh? Those are kind of high expectations for a reverse-harem historical romance. But I do get what you're saying. The final dash-and-die of classic samurai battles wasn't really that epic in this case.
Dec 29, 2010 9:07 PM

Apr 2009
About Koudou. Actually it was really weird how he died. And it was lame. Remember how Shiranui was walking as if nothing happened with at least two holes in his body when he and Sano were done fighting with Koudou's army.

So I dunno, it's one of those plot holes. They just HAD to kill him, just like all the other characters :S I actually loled at his dying scene with the whole "father-daughter" thing.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Dec 30, 2010 3:27 AM
Feb 2009
uuugh can't believe hijikata died too D': poor Chizuru ...can't stop getting teary whenever i think about it =.=
((>.<);;
Dec 30, 2010 3:46 AM

Jun 2009
LambdaDelta_34 said:
i know it would come since its a history based anime and Chizuru is useless till the end =.=

Well, she isn't in history at first place. Shouldn't bother about
her existence. The story just match with the real history. Just accept
the way they are. Duhhhh.

dearest my bb shinah ty for the bday present <33
Dec 30, 2010 5:56 PM

Apr 2009
I just finished it last night. Not sure why they animated the bad ending instead of the good one. More people wanted that one? No idea.
*Depreseed mode on*

I wasn't too thrilled with every single character dying off one by one like dominos. Nor when a couple characters (like Shimpachi) vanish and we don't know what happens with them. Other people like Okita is kind of obvious though.

I've read previous ep discussion threads and a lot of people seem to be upset when certain characters die because it's not "following history"... er... why is it only at that point people are bringing that up? Vampire-like demons and Chizuru aren't in history >___> We just have to remember that this is only 'loosely' following history.

I wish Chizuru wasn't so useless. What was the point of her being a demon? She could have been called a human throughout the series and nothing would have changed.

anyway, I would give it 7.5 out of 10. The animation is great, and it was more faster paced than season one (which i found kind of boring).
Dec 31, 2010 12:51 AM

Aug 2009
Hakuouki ended with everyone's life ending...seriously was it necessary to kill EVERY ONE of them??? i mean...WHY ISNT THIS LABELED AS TRAGEDY???? i think ive cried in this anime more than some animes that have the label tragedy in them!!

and they crammed the romance part of the anime into this episode....very cute the way he confessed to her saying " i am possibly in love with you" awwww~~ cutie~~~ ;D
Dec 31, 2010 7:35 PM

Dec 2010
fireace said:
so how could i stop crying...?
i still cant belive Hakuouki is end.....
i cannot believe he died either i cried like a baby
- Marissa Chan!
Jan 1, 2011 7:40 AM

Jan 2008
It sucks. I really didn't like this ending.
Jan 1, 2011 8:05 PM

Feb 2010
i can't believe i am crying so much! actually i don't like the way it ends..
too bad they all died! even now i am still under depression !
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"
Jan 3, 2011 1:22 AM
Jan 2011
This was a great show. To me it was very emotional. I felt my heart ache seeing everyone die. I was really surprised that almost everyone died that's for sure. I hated the last episode! It was so sad!

I don't think Hijikata is dead. Chizuru I think at the end was just remembering everyone and the good times and being together with everyone again. If Hijikata really died then he would of turn into ashes at that second but he turned back to his human side like in the episode where Heisuke and Sannan-san are dieing. They were still in there rasetsu form when they turned to ashes. Also it might be possible that Saito isn't dead. There's a pretty good chance that he is dead but he might not... Also how could Chikage die so easily! He's an oni! Isn't also possible that Sanosuke isn't dead. Couldn't Kyo have saved him? Kyo also disapeared.
Jan 4, 2011 6:38 AM

Jan 2009
Well, they decide to do Hijikata's route so i guess DEEN practically use all of the game material ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
+ This is a History based so deal with tearjerker ending
Jan 4, 2011 7:27 PM

Aug 2008
Historically, Saito and Shinpachi lived to old age... so I think that's why their "endings" were left ambiguous in Hakuouki Hekketsuroku.

I was okay with Chizuru ending up with Hijikata, as Hijikata was my favorite. But actually, I think Hijikata deserved better than Chizuru to end up with! =D
Jan 5, 2011 10:46 AM
Aug 2009
I think that Hijikata-san didn't die as an Oni as he turned back into a human.
If I didn't miss anything about how Rasetsu could die then..

Hijikata died because of severe blood loss.

All of you could see what that gun shot did to his body, and even though he shouldn't have fight anymore to avoid more blood loss he still moved around freely etc.
Jan 5, 2011 11:15 PM

Jul 2008
If only Hijikata would have lived in the shinsengumi, I would have rated this anime down to a 6 just because it wouldn't have been fair. Still can't believe they killed off ALL of them! (wahhhhh Souuujiiiiii)

At least the ending was well done. I'm glad it ended with a scene of Hijikata and Chikage instead of another history lesson. Though when it came to the flashbacks, I just bawled like a baby. D: It's been 10 minutes and I'm still bawling..
mcc badge

Toph: "Even though I was born blind, I've never had any problems seeing."
Jan 6, 2011 11:43 PM

Nov 2008
This is what I have to say about that ending...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Jan 8, 2011 10:46 PM

Dec 2008
Epic episode! I love how the Hakuouki name came together.
Jan 11, 2011 3:18 AM

Dec 2008
aiwanani said:
Hakuouki ended with everyone's life ending...seriously was it necessary to kill EVERY ONE of them??? i mean...WHY ISNT THIS LABELED AS TRAGEDY???? i think ive cried in this anime more than some animes that have the label tragedy in them!!

and they crammed the romance part of the anime into this episode....very cute the way he confessed to her saying " i am possibly in love with you" awwww~~ cutie~~~ ;D

yes this should totally be labeled as tragedy. it's almost tragic from the start to the end, for this season at least. DAMN why did everyone die q_q I'd rather they left things ambiguous all the way.
Jan 13, 2011 1:42 PM

Mar 2010
Why did they all have to die .... i can't stop crying >___<
Jan 13, 2011 4:32 PM

Jul 2010
Suzayy said:
+ This is a History based so deal with tearjerker ending
I guess I'm kind of the odd one out, because I wasn't really that sad about Hijikata's death. It was just annoying. Souji's and Saitou's supposed death I felt bad about because I liked those characters. There were definitely no tears, though. I don't understand how some people can cry over anime so easily. o.O

mikki_x said:
yes this should totally be labeled as tragedy. it's almost tragic from the start to the end, for this season at least. DAMN why did everyone die q_q I'd rather they left things ambiguous all the way.
Ambigous as in not knowing if each of the members of the Shinsengumi died or not? Definitely not. I like solid endings where you know what happened. Be warned! The following are ENDING spoilers: Not endings like in Code Geass where

Or the ending of Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom where people argued that

But I do agree that this should be labeled a tragedy. It definitely wasn't a happy ending where they play house, that's for sure.
Jan 14, 2011 9:43 PM

Feb 2010
i guess i have to watch it again.. for me to put an end to this feeling
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"
Jan 17, 2011 5:53 AM

Dec 2008
Ambigous as in not knowing if each of the members of the Shinsengumi died or not? Definitely not. I like solid endings where you know what happened. Be warned! The following are ENDING spoilers: Not endings like in Code Geass where

Or the ending of Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom where people argued that

But I do agree that this should be labeled a tragedy. It definitely wasn't a happy ending where they play house, that's for sure.

Well, with all the examples you gave, yeah I agree and definitely prefer sure endings. But somehow just for this season I didn't want to know exactly what happened. Well, I really don't get why Chizuru was the only one left alive. I know it's based on an otome game, but still, argh!!! ._.

Just an afterthought, the art and characters are drawn so beautifully there's zero reality feel to it. Ah but it doesn't really matter much anyway.
Jan 19, 2011 7:14 AM

Nov 2008
WUAH!!! What a intense ending!!! Can't put my mind straight now!!! X.X
Jan 23, 2011 1:41 AM

Jun 2009
Don't expect a happy ending in this series.. since everything was well explained on how "this and that" things work. Example, being a rasetsu will definitely lead you to death soon. And since I hated everything that had happened since the 1st episode that one by one they make sacrifice and died later.. now I understand the true meaning of a Samurai.. and their deaths didn't seem nonsense at all. And how Hijikata defeated Kazama and he also died after that was perfect.. anyway the series is still good though everyone didn't survived.

7/10

and btw.. I was glad they didn't stick to the synopsis about Chizuru's father.. now that was really lame to me. And everything about Chizuru - was so annoying.

Yeah I know some of you was hoping for a happy ending but.. Samurai or a true warrior doesn't imply to this setting.. there will be always tragedy and deaths ahead
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Jan 23, 2011 9:26 AM

May 2010
That's so sad, but at the same time it's happy too. The ending was executed perfectly and I really thinik they did very well. Those kinds of endings are some of the best to me. This show is in my heart always and has truly touched me. I cry without regrets.
Jan 27, 2011 1:58 AM

Feb 2008
danikinz said:
This is what I have to say about that ending...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

ahhh, thank you. After marathoning both seasons only to have everyone end up dead and feeling like I wasted my day, I can now sleep peacefully after having a good laugh at that.
Jan 28, 2011 4:55 PM

Nov 2007
So what if they "all" died...i like some good cry for fictional characters:D
(The thing that is pissing me off is that the only character i wanted to die didn´t die...yes,Chizuru...maaaan,she was completly useless.)

No,seriously...if you just looked up biographies of the guys you would have know what is going to happen and what you should expect.
(except Heisuke´s and Sannan´s death were not really accurate...in date.Well,of course they did not die like that too,lol)
We haven´t seen Saitou and Shinpachi die because they were the only ones who lived till 1915 and died as an old dudes.

I loved this season.
Jan 29, 2011 6:56 AM
Jul 2018
I was sad to see the Shinsengumi 'disperse' like that.
I cried at the end ;w; I wished it strayed from the history, not to say it hasn't yet, but hoping to see a family for Chizuru and Hijikata. x3
& OKITTAAA.. TAT
I thought Kazama would've won. 0w0
Chizuru.. sometimes I wish she was in more in touch with feelings in a way.. I mean, there were times I would've gone, "Oh,you [guys]~<3" but Chizuru's all nonchalant.
Feb 3, 2011 8:38 AM

Feb 2010
The way Kazama died was too easy. And I kinda hated Hijikata for some seconds there.

Even though it's kinda predictable, Hijikata dying was really sad. But I liked how Kazama acknowledged him as an oni before he died. It's what Hijikata's been trying to prove to him, right?

Black_wind said:

We haven´t seen Saitou and Shinpachi die because they were the only ones who lived till 1915 and died as an old dudes.

I loved this season.

Oh really? Now maybe hoping for romance between Saitou and Chizuru for 3rd season? Nahh, I doubt something like that would ever happen. It has the "the end" feeling. =___=
mingling with each other are the flames of red and blue
Feb 3, 2011 11:08 AM

Aug 2009
When Chizuru went Hijikata-san, Hijikata-san, Hijikata-san... I thought ''Oh great, another Orihime; she's such an utterly useless and annoying main character. Overall, this series was a disappointment, it tried to cover so many different genres and, naturally, failed.
Feb 10, 2011 12:28 AM
May 2008
Wow. I don't think I have ever cried so much because of something I watched. This was a bam bam bam...everyones falling... Very well done though. and the music just added to everything. WHY WHY WHY did hijikata-san have to die? He was suppose to live happily ever after with chizuru!! T_T I'm sitting here and I'm still crying. :(
Feb 24, 2011 2:34 PM
Jan 2010
Did they really have to die in the end??? At least Hijikata-san could have been saved... After all, he did drink Chizuru's blood, didn't he??? Will there be season 3??? I'd sure be happy to see Hijikata and Chizuru in a happy ever after ;)
Mar 7, 2011 1:53 AM

Jan 2011
man, intensely sad...though i gues its to be expected sinse the story revolves around the loosing side. If only they'd left Hijikata and Saito alive!
Apr 9, 2011 4:30 PM

Nov 2008
Even when I was so bored with this anime and just wanted to finish it, Even when I hated Chizuru with a passion.
I still felt so bad for her and Hijikata so WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST GAVE THEM A HAPPY ENDING? OR AT LEAST DID THE GOOD ENDING AND LET THEM HAVE BABIES OR SOMETHING (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
THEY REALLY DESERVED IT ; ^ ;

Oh god It "rained" so hard during the ending credit, Seeing everybody happy and together....
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
No matter how much I dislike her Chizuru sure needed a hug.
I'm never watching a tragedy ever again ;w;

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEN
May 5, 2011 10:29 PM
Jan 2011
*Hmm, let's confirm all major Shinsengumi character deaths of this season.

Kondou - Beheaded

Sannan - Turned to dust

Harada - Fatally wounded in battle against resatsu.

Heisuke - Turned to dust

*Open-ended deaths:

Saitou - Last seen charging into battle, possibility that he lived on exists. If following historical facts, he lives on till 1915.

Okita - Last seen intercepting a wave of enemies who are attempting to take Hijikata's life. Most likely he has succumbed to tuberculosis and injuries sustained in said battle.

Hijikata - Last seen seemingly lifeless in Yukimura's lap. Most signs in the final scenes point to his death.

*What the heck happened to him?

Shinpachi - Seriously, he just vanished from the story. In any case, if the show does follow the historical plot, then he lives on.

*Deaths I actually cared about.

Harada - He died like a badass.

Saitou - I refuse to acknowledge his death.

Okita - Similar to Harada's scenario.

*Deaths that should have happened.

Yukimura - Completely useless. As stated by another poster, she was only good at serving tea.

~The series wasn't bad: just a bit jumbled together. Nonetheless, it was still enjoyable. Overall rating 7/10
May 17, 2011 1:04 PM

Oct 2008
Curzec said:
Kazama died far too easy.
"I now acknowledge you as an Oni"
"Let's finish this"
*DASH STAB*
*Kazama drops dead*

Well... everyone but Chizuru died... overkill much? Or is she just a magnet of death?

True! and I hated that! Kazama shouldn't be dead but i'm glad and extremely happy that Hijikata died so Chizuru wouldn't be happy the rest of her life =_=

What a bad bad baaad Anime, I really didn't like this season
Jun 3, 2011 8:35 AM

Sep 2010
Am I the only one who actually likes Chizuru? Sure she didn't do anything, but I thought she was neat character.

Is it bad that none of the deaths in this series made me cry at all? I do admit to almost tearing up at the end of this episode, but no where near crying. I thought the first season was better. This season was all eyecandy and a random slaughter of a character almost every episode. The deaths happened one after another that I just couldn't cry. Also the lack of emotional final dialogues between characters.

6/10 for this season mostly for the Hiji/Chizu moment where they kissed and of course the eyecandy. xD

Another Visual Novel that had an average series I am not really surprised there. Nothing astounding, but it is a good watch to pass time or add another series to the compete list. Its not a total waste of time the series could have been better if it had one whole season with at least 24~26 episodes. Instead of making a half-assed second season. Oh well this is Deen after all.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why didn't Chizuru... (spoilers)

AriAkiko - May 8, 2011

12 by Kana-Cucumber »»
Aug 22, 2021 10:03 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 14, 2010

61 by justduckyxx »»
May 27, 2018 10:18 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 21, 2010

56 by SenChen »»
Sep 22, 2017 2:30 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 3, 2010

100 by MelMelMel »»
May 11, 2017 11:33 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2010

49 by Zahra-chan »»
Jun 2, 2016 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.