Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 3, 2016 4:29 AM
Jan 2016
HikariSakura321 said:
Is this the how the normal ending happened? Though I read something about Saito in the normal ending showed him dead and Okita and Sano were never seen, but not confirmed dead.
As for the two extra eps. I hope to see Saito still alive since his was kinda open and ends up Chizuru. I mean they wouldn't kill the most popular character off.
Plus he's still sorta the first guy she met.

Okita and saito and harada and shinpachi were not shown while dying I hope they are alive in season 3 I am going to start watching it.
Jun 3, 2016 4:37 AM
Jan 2016
That ending though showing all of the other characters T_T. and what kazuma died so easily I think it would have been better if while fighting hijikata can't continue from his previous wound and dies so kazuma takes Chizuru and go and then make a new season where Okita and saito and harada and shinpachi are not dead( because they didn't show us their bodies dead or while they are dying also shinpachi they didn't even say he died)and then the fights begin between the demons and the last members of the shinsengumi trying to save Chizuru.
Jun 3, 2016 4:40 AM
Jan 2016
Gingersn4p said:
Oh. My. God. I can't stop crying. Everyone died. Chizaru is all alone under a cherry blossom tree with everyone she ever cared about dead. I can't. This anime had a horrible ending, especially after Hijikata San said he had something to live for, and they finally were in love, and he just goes and dies. Why. Why producers. Your anime ending sucks. You killed all of your fabulous creations, I hope you're happy now.

I really liked those Shensengumi guys. They were amazing people, which is why it was so painful when they threw their lives away. After watching this it makes you realize just how precious life is! <3 Anybody else need another box of tissues?

I need another box of tissues I finished watching season two then went to watch the ovas and every time I see how they used to be together I start to cry why why did u kill them Okita saito harada heisuke T_T
Also did shinpachi die
Sep 17, 2016 1:58 PM

Jun 2015
That ending scene, it made me forgive the show. It didn't live to my expectations because I found it boring but that ending scene was worth it.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jun 3, 2017 10:13 PM

Sep 2011
Im sad I can't appreciate this series like the rest of you. I thought it was a total disaster. The writing was atrocious, Chizuru was really shallow (only given the illusion of depth), and a lot of content felt missing. It felt like the show couldn't decide what it wanted to be, and in the confusion with no clear goal we are provided a disjointed story which asks more questions than it answers.
Jun 30, 2017 12:57 AM

Oct 2015
It was kinda a bit sad but not very inspiring. The way they were passionate about the shinsengumi, you'd swear they would succeed and gain fame. I guess in the end they were losers all of them.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 6, 2017 12:40 AM
Aug 2014
After the 3rd death I realized the order in which they appeared in the ED (starting after Kondou) was also the order in which they died.

Respect for that red hair demon though, he remained formal in every encounter.

The show followed historical events so it was expected the imperial army would win from the beginning.

The show felt rushed throughout the seasons, nearly 3-4 month jump between episodes. Not sure if they were skipping source material like mad or following historical events...
Jan 14, 2018 10:44 PM

Sep 2014
Alright so Hijikata-san died as well. Hmm the ending was depressing but imo it was a good ending. Okita, Hijikata and others died beautifully but the way kazama died was ridiculous. I don't think there was any reason for him to die at all so it was kinda pointless.
Apr 28, 2018 4:06 AM
Apr 2018
this was depressing, to say the least

but i guess many feel the same, seeing the reactions of many on this forum.

i am pleased that there is such a platform existent for us fans/ critics (perhaps?) to share our thoughts on the last episode of season 2.

i was largely saddened by all the character deaths, but a beautiful anime overall. i just thought the way they killed all the characters was like mass killing. i can't comprehend why some of them had to die. i mean, it's an anime to begin with and they were loosely following the historical plot to begin with. even if it lacked realism, they could have allowed every shinsengumi character to live on and enjoy life in the end.

this ended up being really tragedic, which was what i signed up for because i watched hakuouki assuming it was a fluffy reverse harem anime lmao. i didn't expect myself to be crying nearly every episode nearing the end of season 2.

but i still feel that this forum is cool. it allows me to see the perspectives of everyone through these four pages that i have read, and i am truly moved by this anime.

although i hated some parts of it, i still loved it in the end. it has its shitty parts - but that is also what makes this anime so good. i would ask people to give this anime a try - and see them transform into a ball of angst on the last episode. muahahaha.
Feb 24, 2020 2:56 AM

Sep 2011
Hello everyone

In my opinion, the ending might seem an open ending with Hijikata in the end. Though I believe that Hijikata definitely didn't die, because all the sign says otherways, for example:

- he says that "he has someone he must protect", and it doesn't make sense to simply die after that (kill him off), so the reason he said that was to ensure us that he will live.

- in the end, he becomes a real demon named (Hakuouki)

- when Hijikata is unconscious on Chizuru's lap, she cries (it's more like tearing not crying), the way Chizuru cries was too subtle.

-the final vision of the Shinsengumi is a symbol to there comradesm and brotherhood and their journey that's why Hijikata was in it.

- when the vision of the members of the Shinsengumi appeared Chizuru was asking Hijikata if he can see them (the members of the Shinsengumi), why would she ask him that unless he is with her and not dead.
also if he were dead then why change his fashion (when standing with the Shinsengumi he was wairing the traditional attire, while in the end, he was wairing his new attire)

- in the end, when he gently wipes away her tears, the tears are removed, and the way he looked is too real so he is alive.

- in the original route in the game, he didn't die.

- the second movie proved that he doesn't die (keeping in mind that the second movie is a summary of the anime with a few minor differences). its as if the movie is trying to prove that he lives and to clear the misunderstanding. also, in the end of the movie Hijikata and Chizuru are looking out over the landscape of a village when he sees an image of all his dead comrades he simply says sorry to his men as he still has a life to live with Chizuru and won't be joining them just yet as he simply asks them to watch over them.

I rest my case.

That's what I truly believe, I love this series too much to believe otherwise :)

I hope you enjoyed my reasoning and hope that I reinsured my fellow fans.

Thank you
My 2023 Main Candies:
Aug 18, 2023 5:01 AM

Dec 2012
Since it's been nine years since I saw this, I'm going to refresh & revise some of my thoughts.

My favorite part of Hakuouki, by far, is the historical setting. I'm a bit more acquainted with this time period now and I've at least developed an infinitely better grasp on the concept of the changing times. It's fascinating to think that only a few years following the American Civil War was a Japanese civil revolution that similarly transformed its nation with unprecedented modernity & industry. With stories like this, something I've noticed is how despite the Shinsengumi & other samurai losing, they still remain so honored & revered for the courage they had to live & die by those principles. I only wish that attitude was more prevalent towards the Confederate soldiers here in America. For despite the faults of the Confederacy, there were still so many noble men who fought with a similar sense of honor & duty.

As for the actual story, I'm not quite as critical of the supernatural aspect now. I do still think it's the weakest part of Hakuouki, but watching the OVAs & movies helped me better appreciate how it added an extra layer to the characters - particularly the Shinsengumi members who took the elixir to keep fighting. I'd also say that the ending felt far too rushed for it to be a masterclass tragedy and definitely needed time to build up & breathe when all was over. I would have liked another episode or two just to get more time to appreciate the romantic development as well.

And of course, what reminiscing post is complete without bashing Chizuru? In all seriousness, she didn't bother me as much this time. I could better appreciate her very subtle role as she seemed more of an observer to history, both that which made it into the books and that which remained unwritten.

Solid 8/10 for this season as well as the movies (which I personally think did so much to add onto this experience).
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Why didn't Chizuru... (spoilers)

AriAkiko - May 8, 2011

12 by Kana-Cucumber »»
Aug 22, 2021 10:03 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 14, 2010

61 by justduckyxx »»
May 27, 2018 10:18 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 21, 2010

56 by SenChen »»
Sep 22, 2017 2:30 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 3, 2010

100 by MelMelMel »»
May 11, 2017 11:33 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2010

49 by Zahra-chan »»
Jun 2, 2016 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.