Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 23, 2013 10:56 PM

Nov 2009
Wondering when Reinhard will figure out that Yang is now allied with El Facil and not Heinessen.
Apr 23, 2014 7:01 PM

Mar 2013
Paurge said:
Bucock was such a great character. I'm glad that Reinhard showed the respect he deserved after his death.

RIP Bucock, you were one of the only decent and moral Commanders in the FPA. Brilliant last battle as well considering the impossibility of victory, you went out with a fight befitting a Veteran Elite. I definitely was crying towards the end, especially by the respect paid to the enemy by the Galactic Empire fleets and their commanders.

Alas86 said:
Bucock's last words to Reinhard really stroke a chord to me, he described his disagreement with autocracy in so simple, yet meaningful, terms that I was completely surprised. Bucock died fullfilled and firm in his beliefs and principles and it speaks for Reinhard's greatness that he recognised these values in his opponent and paid him the respect he deserved.

Yes he is one of the few that lived by his morals and codes, and tried to uphold them till the end. Even Reinhard and his followers hold of him and give him credence.

maar-c said:
If Kircheis were alive... ;-;

Kircheis death is certainly the most important event in all of Logh( I can say this confidently even after only being 3/4th's through it). The history as we are shown would have turned out drastically different if he were around. Things would have been better for both the Galactic Empire and the FPA/Yang Wenli. I still miss him and consider him the 3rd most important character in LOGH even while only being a MC for 1/4th of the show. He is definitely the model for true friendship and loyalty, and I'm sure many of us wish to have an equivalent like him as a friend in our lives.
May 12, 2014 12:04 PM

May 2011
*Salute*.

This was such a meaningful episode. Bucock and Ootsuka Akio's voiced character will be missed. The final words between them and Reinhard, followed by the toast(s), to the annihilation, to the slow passing by of the dust with every single person saluting on Reinhard's orders.... then the flashback with Kircheis... just so... meaningful. Especially with the talk between Oskar/Mittermyer at the end there.

I think one thing people aren't interpreting right is Reinhard's words to Oskar on the ship. I felt he was praising Oskar's involvement at his side/on his ship by telling him he would like this formation again in his next battle (most likely Yang). Perhaps indirectly keeping him close/within sights as well?

Fraulein is proving so competent as usual. She's amazing. Bittenfield's fleet arrival had everyone holding their breath before it's confirmation lol.

This episode was very impacting so I can get away with a short break here until I continue through the rest of the series.

5/5
Aug 9, 2014 3:54 AM

Nov 2013
Whenever shit hits the fan; "If Kircheis were alive... "

;____;
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 18, 2014 2:49 PM

Jun 2012
RIP Bucock. His end was very touching, both the last drink and the salute that Reinhard ordered.
Oct 4, 2014 4:49 PM

Dec 2010
This was a very powerful episode. Bukock's final speech was very well thought out- It tied in very well with Reinhard's concerns within himself regarding his past. (I.E. his constant tinkering with his locket.) The salute scene was great, and overall, the episode once again sets up the next "arc" per se. I cannot wait to see what happens next.
I'm in a band! Check it here-
https://fanlink.to/tropicvibez
Nov 13, 2014 4:28 PM

Mar 2012
The Black Lancers got some good looking ships.
Mar 6, 2015 7:35 PM

Aug 2014
This fight ended pretty well. I enjoyed it and all its strategy. Buccock was a cool guy. Its too bad that he died.
Jun 2, 2015 9:27 AM
Nov 2014
Mad respect to both Reinhard and Bucock, Bucock died a very honourable death. Fitting for his character imo. Great episode.
Jun 17, 2015 2:16 PM

May 2012
Pretty impressive end of the battle! I do wonder what will happen next!
Jul 14, 2015 11:08 PM

Dec 2013
Damn this episode was hard to watch. A massive salute to both sides!
Aug 25, 2015 5:09 PM

May 2012
if only Kircheis were here
Jan 28, 2016 6:31 AM

Dec 2012
Truly an awe inspiring episode. I like how Bucock worded democracy as friends on equal terms whereas a monarchy/dictatorship would be that of a master and servant. That is not to say, however, that the latter cannot be as fruitful. Reinhard and Kircheis's relationship is proof of that and it goes to show that once again it's the people behind the principles that can make or break them.

The order to salute Bucock for his valiant efforts spoke volumes about how these men view war. Neither side harbors animosity or ill will towards their enemies. They are simply following the convictions of larger than life philosophies which leads to what they consider an unfortunate impasse (i.e. when Bucock mentions that he'd like a grandson like Reinhard).

That discussion between Reuenthal and Mittermeyer also helps to highlight why they've become such likable commanders. They both realize Kircheis's importance both when he was alive as well as what he means to Reinhard now as seen when Reuenthal notices the locket. It was also refreshing to hear them openly state Oberstein's impact on the military.
Mar 17, 2016 3:29 PM

Apr 2014
hilda is amazing...she is doing a important work....ON THE UNDERGROUND but he is ruling the empire...............
Apr 15, 2016 12:02 AM

Jan 2014
Reinhard sure breaks a lot of glasses.

A fantastic battle, indeed. I liked Bucock's speech and the way they lost with so much dignity.
May 24, 2016 2:52 AM
Nov 2011
Alas86 said:
I can't help but wonder though, were has Reinhard the brilliant tactician gone? Sure as a strategist he proves his ability time and again, but one can say that's because he has the whole galaxy's resources at his disposal, but tactically he is continuously humbled by inferior fleets, as if his loss against Yang in the battle of Vermillion wasn't enough, he now was nearly killed by Bucock as well. Is he just too powerfull for his own good?

Old post; I know.

In the beginning of the anime (and if you watched the side stories), much of both the alliance and imperial fleet were filled with incompetent commanders. All of the commanders that were incompetent are all gone, the Alliance forces are incredibly thin so the remaining survivors have to be competent. Bucock, Trung, and even Carlsen were more than capable commanders.

Not only that, but the Alliance utilized the terrain advantage very well. Using the small corridor to fight on equal terms and fighting not to survive (they knew death was inevitable) but to try to charge the Imperial Flagship were things that Reinhard's fleet didn't consider (although Reinhard and Reuenthal considered that ploy and were well prepared for it). Also, the first two sorties had the young admirals fighting against Bucock who had much more experience in battle than them.
Jun 21, 2016 12:17 PM

Aug 2014
A toast to democracy!

R.I.P Bucock and Trung :'(
Jul 9, 2016 5:17 AM

Jun 2016
*salute* R.I.P., Admiral Bucock and Trung Yu Chan. One of the most admirable deaths for one of the most admirable characters in the series. Bucock's final speech was beautiful. I wonder if that was sufficient to plant a seed of doubt in Reinhard's mind about whether his autocratic rule is the best way ahead. If so, Bucock has, with his sacrifice, made sure that in some way democracy can resurrect itself.

Reinhard really seems to be a pushover these days when it comes to decision-making, looks like he's role-playing a husband quite well *wink*

All this said, I feel like complaining a little - the space battles always seem either a little too simplistic, or a little too messy. One problem I've found is that the battles often happen in 2D - there is hardly any use of all the three available dimensions in space, which should be absolutely crucial (anyone who has read Ender's Game will know exactly what I'm talking about). Battles cannot be like those fought by land armies on Earth; and that's what it often turns out to be in this show. One of the fleets attacks Bucock from above towards the end, but that's a rare exception. They could have done this during the corridor shenanigans, for example. And why were the solar winds affecting only the Imperial fleet toward the end? The Alliance fleet seemed impervious to them, even without the anchors. Lots of convenient devices are used to give one side the temporary advantage over the other and make the battle swing this way and that, making it seem exciting, but it's not always convincing. \endrant

Did anyone think that Bucock will consider making that star into a nova/supernova somehow, thus eliminating both fleets? It sounds like an idea that's good enough to be used as a climax. Hmm. The final round of Yang vs Reinhard, I wonder..
ArachnophobicJul 9, 2016 5:24 AM
Oct 21, 2016 9:25 AM

Mar 2016
I feel what would have made this episode much better would be if we got to see the pov of an alliance ship's crew, especially of those who don't want to die or want to surrender even while the alliance admirals have accepted their inevitable deaths. LoGH already includes a lot of scenes with differing pov's within the same faction so it would have been nice to see some here too.
Aure0linOct 21, 2016 9:29 AM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 5, 2016 5:29 AM

Aug 2014
For a moment i though the plot will save Bucock, glad it didn't.
Great episode, very enjoyable battle.
Nov 28, 2016 1:13 PM

Nov 2010
Mikiyo said:
Certainly Bucock's death made me shiver, and yet more after that extremely beautiful song where the whole empire fleet was passing through the whole sea of destroyed battleships.

Anyway I didn't quite get that speech that Reinhard gave to Reuental in the flagship.
I will face another enemy admiral in this format once again...

I wonder if this has a meaning, given out the fact that he noticed Reuental's odd reaction to Reinhard holding the pendant.

fedaykin said:
Mikiyo said:

Anyway I didn't quite get that speech that Reinhard gave to Reuental in the flagship.

I wonder if this has a meaning, given out the fact that he noticed Reuental's odd reaction to Reinhard holding the pendant.

Indeed, that was curious. Surely Reinhard wouldn't suggest that they may end up fighting to Reuenthal's face, especially given that Reuenthal simply politely acquiesced? If not Reuenthal, then who did he mean though? Perhaps Reinhard is suggesting that this is the manner in which he would defeat Yang?

I do like these cryptic remarks and the wild speculation they permit us. :)

MostCuriousThing said:
Incidentally, even after the battle of Marr-Adetta, we're still not two-thirds of the way through the series.
Reinhard said:
Fleet Admiral Reuenthal. It seems that in some near future, I will face another enemy admiral in this format once again.

I'm not going to read too deeply into that line, but...

I'm currently rewatching the whole series.
Given the future episodes, I'm pretty sure that Reinhard's words relate to
It's both exciting and sad for me. Firstly, that he is considered a worthy opponent to the Kaiser, equal to Bucock or surpassing him. Secondly, the event I mention above is heart-breaking for me.

Bucock fought and died with dignity. RIP.
However, I don't agree with all his words. Just like Yang he idealizes the idea of democracy which is not so brilliant.

And "if only Kircheis was alive"... I find it very annoying. Especially when this phrase is repeated four times in one episode.
MaurevalNov 28, 2016 1:30 PM
Jun 18, 2017 11:46 PM
Jul 2018
RIP Admiral Bucock :'(
Aug 6, 2017 1:59 PM

May 2014
Rest in peace Bucock :(
Nov 12, 2017 12:14 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Bucock chooses died before that surrender!!!
Feb 16, 2018 9:32 AM

May 2016
Fleet Admiral Bucock Rest in Peace.

Bucock death and Kircheis flashbacks that was so freaking sorrowful.
Apr 23, 2018 10:33 AM

Jul 2012
Aure0lin said:
I feel what would have made this episode much better would be if we got to see the pov of an alliance ship's crew, especially of those who don't want to die or want to surrender even while the alliance admirals have accepted their inevitable deaths. LoGH already includes a lot of scenes with differing pov's within the same faction so it would have been nice to see some here too.

yeah.. I'll drink to that
I kept thinking about it for the rest of the episode, so Bucock did not surrender and died honorably, but what about those who did not want to die?
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
May 13, 2018 9:15 PM
Apr 2018
RIP Trung and Buccock. Two great characters that will be sorely missed.

Reuenthal knows that the takeover of Iserhorn was his fault and is probably glad that he left Lutz to take the blame. I think Reinhard's words at the end to Oskar were about Yang.

The ray of hope tease with the oncoming fleet turning out to be the Black Lancers was very mean!

No Empire admiral died. I'm surprised.

So let's see how that changed the power game:

1) Empire. Won a great battle but as always it's tainted by a Yang victory.
2) Yang's fleet- Moving up thanks to the crushing defeat of the Alliance.
3) El Facil- Still keeping them seperate from Yang as I don't trust them one bit.
4) The Alliance. Their capital is still there but they are screwed now they've lost their two best military minds.
5) Rubinsky
6) Earth Cult
7) Goldenbaulm's

MVP of the Episode: Buccock again.
Oct 26, 2018 4:51 PM
Apr 2018
Bucock. Your death won't be in vain.

Damn, Hilda sure looked pissed off at Reinhard's orders at the ending.
Nov 8, 2018 2:14 AM

Feb 2017
Reinhard looks happiest in this episode when he's talking to Kircheis junior.
Mar 30, 2019 2:40 PM

Aug 2017
The silence in the Imperial fleet when it was passing by the debris of the FPA ships made quite a powerful scene, all the respect to the opponents is incredibly beautiful
Nov 18, 2019 1:22 AM

Oct 2012
Damn there are a lot of debris in space, that's not good at all :(
RIP Fleet Admiral Bucock, Mrs. Bucock must be really sad now

If Phezzan is going to be taken too, Empire would have lost their ways to travel between East & West sides
But they're pretty calm about it
There's no way Phezzan would fall, right?
"Signature removed"
Dec 15, 2019 9:22 PM

Jun 2016
I salute you, Admiral Bucock!
Dec 31, 2019 7:16 AM

Nov 2016
Bucock's last moments were simple yet so powerful.

You rarely see a character go out in such a classy manner.

Rip;_;

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 20, 2020 9:47 AM

Aug 2010
I came here to press "F" in respect of Bucock. I want to be your friend in the end!
May 6, 2020 6:11 PM

Jul 2019
RIP bakery guy, you shall be missed.

Also, Hilda's the best waifu.
Dec 17, 2020 10:20 PM
Jun 2017
This has been so far the best episode of the season. Its emotional weight is so great that it cannot be overlooked.

Democracy, for the third time (or so), has fallen. Admiral Bucock fought honorably to the end, and I doubt there will be a death as honorable as his' in all of the series (Kircheis aside). His toast for democracy was so powerful that could leave aside any consideration for its inherent flaws, and fill everyone's hearts with sheer respect and admiration. Admiral Bucock truly was a man with dignity, and I doubt anyone could have resisted the urges to salute alongside the Imperial Fleet.

One could say that the Free Planets Alliance has suffered a multi organic failure, and it's only a matter of time until Reinhard switches off the ventilator.

Someone said that the flashbacks of Kircheis were uncalled for, but I find them very important. Reinhard is, plainly said, a heroic star that shines like no one can shine in the galaxy. Even then, he cannot escape fate nor circumstances, as he is too a mere mortal. He hasn't got to his current position by his intellect and will alone, but also for a series of fortunate and unfortunate events, and thanks to the unimaginable amount of help he has received from many people, to (mainly Oberstein among them, but that's something for another commentary).

This being said, it is not true that everyone must have a servant-master relationship with him, it's just that fate and circumstances have separated him from the possibility of acting in any other way, the death of admiral Kircheis being the final cut to that thread. As I have said in past comments, Reinhard truly represents the classic literary figure of the marble tower.

Now that I have mentioned Oberstein here, it's patent that his role of main advisor for Reinhard has been taken by Fraulein Mariendorf. Thinking about it, he has hardly denied any of her advices, which has led her to exert some sort of soft influence over him, unlike Oberstein's harsher approach to problems (For instance, if one had an ant invasion, Fraulein Mariendorf's approach would be to make an ant farm. Oberstein, on the other hand, would give all of them poisoned food they could carry to their nest).

Anyway, there seems to be tensions rising between Oberstein and Mittermeyer. Oberstein is risking to be left alone. Mittermeyer has Reuental covering him, Oberstein only has himself... though that's enough for him.

Now that war seems to be coming to an end, what does fate have reserved for the galactic heroes? Was Emir foreshadowing the conquest of another galaxy? Whatever happens, I can only be a faithful witness to it, and give a much deserved and heartful salute to all of the fallen, past, present and future.
PaulotronatorDec 17, 2020 10:29 PM
Dec 23, 2020 9:44 PM

Dec 2020
this episode made me lose my mind. i'm literally speechless. will maybe come back later when i'm capable of putting my thoughts and feelings into words... for now, i'll say this is definitely in my top 7, maybe 5 episodes, as well as a true testament to how outstanding this anime is.
Aug 1, 2021 11:58 AM

Jun 2020
u hate 2 c it 😔

rip bewcock 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
Sep 2, 2021 4:42 AM

Jul 2016
frequency15k said:
if only Kircheis were here

How different the galaxy would have been!
Mar 9, 2022 5:38 PM

Dec 2021
Bucock's final speech was almost a sneak diss at everything Reinhard stands for

"I rather have a close friend than a loyal high up or loyal retainer"

"If only Kircheis was alive..."

the feels ..
Mar 11, 2022 11:33 AM

Apr 2018
Respect for Admiral Bucock and his men.
True heroes dying for their ideas.

I'm always astonished by Fräulein's composure
Jun 8, 2022 5:11 PM

Dec 2007
bucock final words hit me hard. for some reason i find him for this to have better ideology than yang. while yang talking a lot about ideology, he says lots of time that the current empire isn't necessarily bad one. while bucok believing in democracy 'till the end.

"if kircheis would alive"
damn.
too bad this anime is so realistic, i wouldn't care "i faked my death" twist lol.
Jul 25, 2022 10:37 AM
Jun 2022
“I’d rather live among others as a friend than as a good ruler or a good servant” - a true democrat.

Man, Bucock’s was one of the Alliance’s best, and went out like a BOSS. You got to wonder what would happen if the military was run by competent people like him, Yang, Trung, Greenhill…

Also, loved seeing imperial admirals pay respect to the old tiger. This gotta be one of the greatest generation of imperial personal in the Empire’s Long history.

Kudos to everyone involved.
Dec 12, 2022 2:03 PM

May 2018
Bucock finally kicks the bucket T_T if Kircheis was alive, the series would have ended by episode 50 lol
Jan 20, 2023 9:51 AM

Aug 2018
Really well concluded battle, the whole endless space battle sequences made this feel realistic and oustanding amount of respect worthy battle. Can't believe it taken this much effort and intense tactic changes to bring down the main person of Alliance in terms of rank.

Bucock really deserves the most respect, his speech to Reinhard and final farewell moments was really an emotional but hope givinng expierence. His braveness and boldness combined with sharp mind really made him a big and admirable admiral. His subordinates deserve big credit too, seeing them follow their commander to death is without a dounbt one of the most honorable thing you can witness in any battle.

Yang will not take news like this camly, he might become a little bit different person afterwards with changing views on everything related to ruling and freedom. In general this episode been a hell of a terrific ride.

Mar 7, 2023 4:06 AM

Jul 2017
this episode really made me cry, one of the highest emotional points of the anime, I will miss you Bewcock.
''Touch the darkness inside me''
May 13, 2023 2:55 PM

Feb 2012
2023 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 27, 10:12 PM
Apr 2021
Definitely one of the best episodes of the series. Very tense and the drama felt genuine.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.