Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 31, 2008 8:53 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I felt bad for Hilda this episode since she's my favorite female character so far in the show. It was partially because of her and her father that Baron Kunmel was able to get so close to assassinating Reinhard. Even though Reinhard is not punishing them severely by limiting them only house arrest, this sets her back over all the things she's accomplished thus far. If she's ever able to return to serving by Reinhard's side there will always be a negative stigma from others due to her association.

So the Earth only has ten million people on it now? Were they trying to say billion but forgot the 'b'? I honestly thought they'd have a much larger built powerbase. There must be some method to their madness. Otherwise why start a battle now? Perhaps it's wrong and their real numbers are hiding elsewhere? Maybe they've got influence over high ranking officials in Reinhard's administration that can pull strings? Or perhaps a large base of followers on other planets that can attempt to start a civil war? Or they have some secret weapon that minimizes their risk of attack substantially? Whatever the case may be, ten million alone can't be enough to face off against Reinhard unless they aren't revealing something.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Nov 8, 2008 6:19 PM

Aug 2008
Looks like war between the Reich and Earth and Earth is going to lose in the end most likely. Although this episode was very exciting with the assassination attempt and all. I loved watching Reinhard hit that guy because he wanted that locket. Nice job on the animators part for showing the brains bit. Good ep overall.
Feb 17, 2009 7:31 AM

Jan 2008
Brain coming out the skull alert!

Cultists are freaks, all over the universe.

I liked how the template of this episode screamed filler, but because this is LotGH it most certainly wasnt. The setup to this conflict was layed freakin' dozens of episodes ago, and Kumel's reasoning was pretty engaging too, just wanting a brief moment of power for once in his life. But dude, you dont get between Reinhard and Kircheis.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 22, 2009 4:59 PM

Apr 2009
That was a damned good episode. Well, all the episodes are good, but this one was one of the best so far in my opinion. The assassination plot and raid on the Earth Cult was very entertaining and exciting, and the ironic ending of Julian going to Earth at the same time as the Empire is invading was awesome.

Jun 23, 2009 12:50 AM

Apr 2009
Earth seems quite desolate, so I dont think there was a mistake when they said 10 millions, I doubt such a backwards forgotten planet could boast 10 billion people, besides planets in LotGH universe aren't that populus after all.

Osaka117 said:
the ironic ending of Julian going to Earth at the same time as the Empire is invading was awesome.
He is like the angel of misfortune or sth, wherever he goes the empire invades... :p
Sep 5, 2009 5:06 PM
Mar 2009
I need help with the OST again.

Anyone knows the name of the music that plays during the battle at the cultists base?.. and the music that plays during the torture scene?
Sep 9, 2009 1:40 AM

Jun 2009
I can't believe it still surprises me but... man, Reinhard is such a badass. As Hilda noted, the man wasn't terrified in the slightest. Most leaders would've shit their pants in that situation.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 16, 2009 4:18 PM

Dec 2008
tainteddonut said:

. There must be some method to their madness. Otherwise why start a battle now? Perhaps it's wrong and their real numbers are hiding elsewhere? Maybe they've got influence over high ranking officials in Reinhard's administration that can pull strings? Or perhaps a large base of followers on other planets that can attempt to start a civil war? Or they have some secret weapon that minimizes their risk of attack substantially? Whatever the case may be, ten million alone can't be enough to face off against Reinhard unless they aren't revealing something.

In the Foundation novel, Salvor Hardin used religion to defeat an unmatchable military force, as the superstitious soldiers were incited to overthrow their commanders. It's hard to believe that there are Earth Cultists in the imperial fleet though and I would tend to suspect that the Earth has some hidden military power, if only for the metareason that a space opera could do with some epic space battles. :) Of course, I'm expecting to be proved wrong.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 11, 2010 12:51 PM

Jan 2009
For a moment, I thought Reinhard was going to be made to sweat once Künmel pulled out that switch.... and for what? A brief moment to have power over something? Pitiful.

I'm also wondering what song it was that was playing when the police were storming the Earth Cult building. I feel like I've heard it before.

Also.... TRUNIHT? That man always finds an opportunity to go undetected until the right time. I wonder what he's got planned.
Jan 13, 2010 5:45 AM

Sep 2008
lol @ Reinhard's gay pendant :P
nice ep.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 3, 2010 7:07 PM

Aug 2008
Brains...really...gross. And Jim Jones-esque madness. Cults are baaaaad.

Reinhard's gay pendant ftw, though.
Sep 8, 2010 7:38 PM
Jun 2010
Reinhard is such a stubborn child. He risked everyone's life for a pendant.

I'm glad to see that the animation was improved a bit.

Julia has the bad habit of being cornered by the Empire each time he leaves the Alliance's planet for another one lol.

Sep 29, 2010 9:47 PM

Oct 2009
vvvpqsw said:
I need help with the OST again.

Anyone knows the name of the music that plays during the battle at the cultists base?.. and the music that plays during the torture scene?

DeadBonesBrook said:
I'm also wondering what song it was that was playing when the police were storming the Earth Cult building. I feel like I've heard it before.
Yeah I know it probably doesn't matter anymore, but the piece is Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky.
Oct 12, 2010 5:42 AM

Jan 2010
this was probably the most entertaining episode so far in all LOTGH!

i loved it :)...i didn't expect that sick dude to turn against Reinhard.

the earth cultists are dumbasses...never attack a man with a laser gun using a knife :\,or comit suicide because a old man says so

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 7, 2010 6:16 PM

May 2010
I was going to turn myself into a cartoon character and beat up that baron, then I realize it's really pathetic to beat up a disabled person...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 11, 2011 6:56 AM

Feb 2010
Reinhard won some brownie points for his unyielding nature. The chance to hold the world universe hostage is tempting, even for a few minutes. I can understand the reasonings behind an iill-fated Kumel. I wonder if this is the episode that foreshadow the change in character for Reinhard since he mention he can't find any worthy adversary.
Aug 18, 2011 3:14 PM
Jun 2011
Reinhard is unflappable. That was pretty cool to see. I also loved the backhand to the half dead Kunmel. He was thinking "I'll let us all die before you can touch my Kiercheis DNA!"
Aug 20, 2011 9:19 AM

Sep 2008
Grisle said:
Reinhard is unflappable. That was pretty cool to see. I also loved the backhand to the half dead Kunmel. He was thinking "I'll let us all die before you can touch my Kiercheis DNA!"

lol
gay pendant FTW!
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 5, 2011 4:31 PM

Apr 2009
I wonder how this earth cult was able to spread throughout the galaxy, seems like not everyone watched the history lesson as Poplan and Julian did...
Dec 12, 2011 6:25 PM
Feb 2011
Backhanded by the ruler of the universe.. I wonder how many people can boast that.
Dec 30, 2011 9:59 PM

Mar 2011
I'd watch an anime written by Poplan.

I hope Julian and the crew don't get mixed up with the Empire attack.
Jan 15, 2012 11:35 PM

Sep 2009
TowardsTheStars said:
I'd watch an anime written by Poplan.

I hope Julian and the crew don't get mixed up with the Empire attack.

Every Harem and Moe anime ever created!
=3
Feb 9, 2012 8:24 PM

Aug 2010
Julian is in for some deep shit.
Apr 21, 2012 3:07 AM

Feb 2012
It was funny how they said Reinhard doesn't like big security and only took sixteen attendants with him. I notice the music has changed, previously there was a lot of German music but I think the previous episode used Chopin and this one had Mussorgsky.
May 9, 2012 6:31 PM

Feb 2012
Feorg said:
I notice the music has changed, previously there was a lot of German music but I think the previous episode used Chopin and this one had Mussorgsky.

The music director has certainly made some very bold choices so far in season 3, and I've liked all of them.
May 24, 2012 1:29 PM

Apr 2009
One of the best episodes so far
Jun 8, 2012 11:37 PM

Jun 2009
Feorg said:
It was funny how they said Reinhard doesn't like big security and only took sixteen attendants with him. I notice the music has changed, previously there was a lot of German music but I think the previous episode used Chopin and this one had Mussorgsky.

16 obviously isn't a lot of security for the most powerful person in the Galaxy, so I don't get the criticism here.

Great episode, it's pretty cool seeing these plot threads laid out so long ago coming into fruition like this and now fueling a conflict and effecting Julian now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 18, 2013 1:45 AM

Jul 2012
I just know Oberstein is up to something. You could almost say it's being foreshadowed but I'll have to wait to find out.

Also, commanding your troops to take off their boots so they can get into positions as quietly as possible? I don't remember hearing that in any other visual media I've watched but I must say it's a brilliant tactical move.

Finally, poor Julian, I was trying to think of a good analogy I could use to describe the situation he's about to get into and the empire. Unfortunately, nothing good comes to mind. So I'll just say good luck Julian, looks like your gonna need it little buddy.
Jun 20, 2013 8:24 AM
Nov 2011
I have to say that I really did feel for the baron in this episode, although him being sacrificed during the course of the serie was obvious from his first appearance.
Aug 2, 2013 9:56 PM

Jun 2013
I KNEW that Baron was evil the first time I saw him. He wanted to go down in history.

Reinhard SMACK HIS ASS LOL OWNEDDD!!!
Sep 20, 2013 9:28 PM

Nov 2009
For some reason I find it kind of annoying that Reinhard laughs at the idea of marriage . . . I mean, it is kind of annoying that he doesn't care or want to care about anyone else. Anyways, I'm surprised he put them under House arrest, that seemed like a pretty big punishment for a family that was only related to the man who was "not going to receive any punishment"
Oct 3, 2013 8:54 PM

Jul 2011
Ohohohoh. Conflict. So I guess they're moving onto the Earth cult now. Hopefully Julian survives in good health. I don't want to see him tortured by the Empire. :/

koreye said:
Grisle said:

lol
gay pendant FTW!

LOL.
Jan 10, 2014 12:26 AM
Feb 2011
"Show it to me." "Yada!" Gotta love that exchange. Unyielding Reinhard and a zealous Heinrich looked like squabbling kids. Poor Heinrich though. Oberstein seems cautious of the Mariendorf's position and influence and he doesn't seem too keen on having Hilda as Reinhard's wife. If anything, the girl's the best candidate.

Forget about restoring Earth to its former glory. Those cultists are mad! The show's getting more graphic, too. Brain spilling out and half a head flying off the window during the shootout. Reinhard and Julian are bound to meet as indicated in the first season's ED, and Julian going to the Empire as an unfortunate cultist prisoner would be a really good precedent.
Aug 7, 2014 8:58 AM

Nov 2013
Empire forces heading to Earth, Julian just arrived at Earth... is a fateful meeting between Reinhard and Julian on the cards? :D

Also gotta love Oberstein coming in like a snake and poking around other peoples business, I have to laugh at how he approaches stuff now. It's so slimy.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 29, 2014 5:35 AM

Dec 2013
I felt no sympathy towards Kunmel. However Reinhard's treatment towards the dead Kunmel was nice. His analogy was extremely well thought out. It suited the situation nicely "when your life is threatened, and when you arrest the villain afterwards do you punish the weapons that was in that villain's hands?" After this I forgave Kunmel. Kudos to you Reinhard.

Very impressed with how Kesler and the military police handled things. At moments I was squealing with excitement. The fatty Lang is a bad omen. Hopefully he won't get in the way in the future and sway the loyalty of Reinhard's men (e.g. Mittermeyer and Kesler).
Nov 9, 2014 9:05 PM

Mar 2012
When did Oberstein start rocking a cape like Reinhard? xD
Nov 26, 2014 6:42 AM
Mar 2013
Aw, Hilda's chances of getting with Reinhard are even closer to zero than before :/
Jan 2, 2015 12:31 AM

Jan 2014
Some cult members drinking that Kool-Aid. Disaster was inevitable.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 4, 2015 6:48 PM

Aug 2014
Its gonna be cool to see LotGH's take on a futuristic Earth. This is especially so because its also post-nuclear war as well. I wonder how the attack will affect Julian's crew?
May 30, 2015 7:54 PM
Nov 2014
Instead of dying peacefully he chosed to die a stupid death lmao. Reinhard = GAR tho.
Jun 14, 2015 3:16 PM

May 2012
A bit slower but quite interesting development, let's see what's next.
Jul 6, 2015 6:39 AM

Dec 2013
Rip old dying dude. Also damn that guy had his brain spilling out. It's weird how this anime can suddenly get so gorey all of the sudden.
Aug 4, 2015 12:26 AM

May 2012
well shit lol
Aug 12, 2015 12:40 AM

Jun 2014
Looks like the next big confict has begun.
They did a nice job at showing how fanatic these cultists are.
Oct 14, 2015 6:40 PM

Nov 2012
I knew the second the dude thought about the locket Reinhard was going to be like hell naw mother fucker ! Its interesting the men under Reinhard that went with him, they seem to only now be curious about the locket? Its obvious Reinhard would never tell anyone about it, very private and personal and it'd just start a rumor mill if one of his commanders found out about it most likely.

Anyway that was just a nasty move to pull on Reinhard it even looked like the Kaiser seemed to be genuinely nice towards the dude somehow. I'm guessing he was doing it more as a favor for Hilda , he just knows he ows her big time for saving his life :P

If anything Reinhard was more upset at the cultists than kunmel. These dudes seem to be behind a lot of shady shit, they automatically started attacking imperial forces when they showed up too. Hopefully Julian learns a lot more about them.

Looks like Julian's pretty much going into a viper den on earth, hope he manages to stay safe blending in with the cultists somehow. LOL now reinhard sent men to earth so everytime Julian goes anywhere there's trouble ugh.
midnightbladeOct 14, 2015 6:43 PM
Nov 19, 2015 1:24 AM

Jul 2013
Yang was one step ahead for realising the earth cult
Jan 24, 2016 2:05 AM

Dec 2012
"Let me touch your pendant."
"No."
"Give me the pendant!"
"NO I WILL SKIN YOU ALIVE PLEBEIAN."

It's as if Reinhard is becoming more obsessed with his only material attachment to Kircheis that remains. It gets a bit scary at times to watch him constantly rub it.

I feel as though Heinrich is really a victim here. The Goldenbaum Dynasty essentially embedded it into him that he was worthless without some distinguished service or prestigious accomplishment. The Earth cultists took advantage of that desperation in his final hours. But man, now it opens the door to the possibility of more assassination attempts, I get the feeling they'll be the army in the shadows. That raid was brutal af, those brains dripping out was just like yuck...

On another note, I ship Hilda x Reinhard.
Jun 16, 2016 2:53 PM

Aug 2014
Can't say I felt bad for Heinrech but I can see where he's coming from.

Klesser's back huh? I wonder if the plot point of him making the connections of Reinhard being already aware of the previous Kaiser's kidnapping, will be brought up again or just pushed to the sidelines.
Jul 4, 2016 9:07 AM

Jun 2016
Reinhard needs a new raison d'etre and quick. Clearly Hilda is not cutting it, can we ship Katerose over to Odin? :P Also, I am surprised he hasn't visited his sister yet. I thought he was done conquering the Universe.

Hmm. Another reason to live could be an overwhelming alien invasion.
Jul 31, 2016 12:35 PM

Oct 2015
Wurstgurgler said:
I can already see that The Earth Church Cult is a Religion of Peace.
No, this isn't right. Terrorism never resulted in peace, yet almost always in war.
Omnia munda mundis
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.