Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2010 9:39 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
..and its over, man that was a good series lol In the end it was never revealed who he really was, and what happened to Sakura? I also question his reason for repeating highschool, I mean He did go to elementary school he could of continued to college right?

Ah well, very funny overall, so long Sumire! you crazy old man..T-T
Nov 15, 2010 5:15 PM

Dec 2008
Man I can't believe it's over, I loved this, this was such a great series! x] I'm kinda sad, but it's alright, I love good endings; I would rather have had it end at 5 volumes then continue needlessly for 20-30 volumes. x]

(spoilers)
I knew they wouldn't reveal the identity and character of the old man in the end but, that's alright too, because it doesnt matter: because Sumire is Sumire. :] I found it beautiful in the end, how Sumire is still changing people's lives, but she herself never changes. Sakura too, in her own way changes people's lives. I think that's why the puppeteers are doing this, you know? Anyways, I'll miss this manga, farewell Sumire. n_n
Jun 12, 2011 10:11 AM

Jul 2008
Sumire ;3;
gahhh. This manga finally ended. I had a blast reading this. It was creative, funny, and geez. Unique.
I want more of this kind of stuff in the future xD
well... ONTO THE SEQUEL

Jun 24, 2011 8:06 AM
Feb 2010
The end was very funny and mysterious. Why did Sumire turn back to high school? Remember that by that time she should be 24. And judging from her "elementary school days" both Sumire and the old guy should have aged at least a bit, but they still look the same oO. Well who cares :3

On a side note, I found that the main character of this series seems to be the old guy after all, since at the end Sumire seems not to have remembered anything while the old man does (lol).

And till the end, the mystery of Sumire going into toilets (school and public but esp public) and some other stuff never got resolved... aww.
Feb 12, 2012 3:16 AM

Mar 2009
I thought they would run to each other and hug or something, lol. Anyway it was fun reading this manga.
Jul 8, 2012 5:03 PM

Jun 2012
I love how the author hinted the reason behind those pretentious eyes. Seeing as how many people pretend not to know him (mostly the adults), it lets us have a glimpse of the old man's past and that he made a difference in a ton of people's lives.

I'm going to miss this manga. Sumire was hilarious and touching to the very end T_T
Jul 22, 2012 10:53 PM

Aug 2011
enjoyed every chapter laughed pretty much for all of them. not going to lie i burst into tears when they met and he acted like he didn't know them but in reality he was trying to hold back the tears of joy of his reunion with them. such a great series a unique one as well. i will miss it 9/10. sumire i will not forget you!!!

i will forever love the dead eye look :D
Potatoboy27Jul 22, 2012 11:02 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2014 10:37 PM
Dec 2009
For some reason I thought I discovered what the Twist would be quite early in the manga, something along the lines of Sumire being the Old Man's daughter that died while a baby. He was a ventriloquist, very sad that his daughter died so early without even enjoying life, so he decided to live her life for her.

So Sumire was actually how he thought his daughter would grow up to be.

But in the end, we got no answers! Well, I guess it's better this way than a melodramatic sad ending... :<
Dec 29, 2014 5:13 PM

Sep 2010
luved it 9/10 ^^
Jan 18, 2015 3:24 PM
Jul 2008
Ending was surprisingly powerful. The old man stayed in character even to the end, and continued making high school fun for girls. Loved it.
Feb 26, 2015 2:50 PM

Oct 2012
What an unexpectedly touching and memorable ending this turned out to be.
May 27, 2016 3:25 AM
Nov 2013
gometa said:
For some reason I thought I discovered what the Twist would be quite early in the manga, something along the lines of Sumire being the Old Man's daughter that died while a baby. He was a ventriloquist, very sad that his daughter died so early without even enjoying life, so he decided to live her life for her.

So Sumire was actually how he thought his daughter would grow up to be.

But in the end, we got no answers! Well, I guess it's better this way than a melodramatic sad ending... :<
then why is he repeating highschool ?
May 19, 2017 11:00 AM

Aug 2012
That was a touching ending for a comedy series :)

9/10 really hope to see this as an anime, I still don't know if Sumire is voiced as an old man or 16yrs old hs girl :3
Aug 15, 2017 10:22 PM

Jan 2011
I appreciate the tie in with 17-sai.

PirateKingz said:
I love how the author hinted the reason behind those pretentious eyes. Seeing as how many people pretend not to know him (mostly the adults), it lets us have a glimpse of the old man's past and that he made a difference in a ton of people's lives.

I'm going to miss this manga. Sumire was hilarious and touching to the very end T_T
Also this.
Apr 22, 2019 2:41 AM

Dec 2014
I teared up a bit. 8/10
Jul 24, 2019 6:07 PM

Jun 2017
I've never cried so much about a old man crying.
"The Stairs to Adulthood May Not Always Lead Up" - Gintama.: Porori-hen - episode 1
May 16, 2020 4:26 AM
Mar 2017
Finished Sumire 16 yesterday and 17 today, really enjoyable. Probably the manga I've enjoyed the most, I would recommend it to everyone to be honest. Sad that 17 was so short though, would've loved to see it be even a bit longer. Two things I didn't like though, the male puppet felt unneeded, and the guy in love with Sumire in 16 should've become a main character, but he didn't. Overall though, a 9.5/10 from me.
May 19, 2020 1:06 PM

Nov 2008
Seeing how it transitions into 17-sai in the end, i now get why it is suggested to read them in release order. Also it was surprising to find out it is not a 1 year gap between them, but the whole 6 years. The ending sure felt abrupt and it's a bit of shame because i think there could have been more stories told about years of their school life. Nonetheless, it found it very touching and couldn't hold back tears when the old man was shown crying. In the end, he never let himself be out of character, that's some admirable devotion o7

PirateKingz said:

Wow, i didn't even think to interpret dead eyes that way. It really adds another layer of depth about old man's character.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Jul 26, 2020 7:19 PM

Jan 2014
Such a touching ending ;-;
☆・。・。☆・(* ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ~Aphotic ☆・。・。☆・゜
Aug 1, 2020 10:30 AM
Mar 2017
Another finished re-read from me, still my favorite manga by far.
Oct 24, 2020 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty much what everybody here said. I also think the woman with Sakura was most likely a person Sumire helped influence, like he did for the other girls, and that she also lost her son and went to follow in his footsteps. Pretty tragic and morbid undertone to this otherwise comedic series. I mean, there just has to be something deeper going on in there... right? The old man can't just be doing it out of a hobby or something else .

Let's be real here, the old man was clearly channeling his death daughter's ghost, right? At points it is so obvious that she comes off as lifelike to people (you can see it with Sakura too) as if she touches their hearts and comes through to them and they begin to acknowledge and see her existence, at least that Is what I feel the author was going for. Even for me, I kinda caught myself forgetting that Sumire wasn't a doll at a couple of points. Honestly, unique stuff. Nice stuff man, nice stuff!

It is surprisingly a really solid ending, probably the most solid ending I have ever read which is amazing considering the situation behind this supposedly being canceled. The author has me impressed, he is really skilled.

A very touching and powerful series overall, I did not expect it to be so good when going into it... dunno what else to add. Good bye Sumire, I am definitely gonna miss you! You also managed to touch my heart, haha.
Sep 6, 2023 7:07 AM

Jan 2021
If there is truly is something on the other end of the spectrum from cosmic horror ... a cosmic beauty(?), perhaps, then this panel of the old man crying encapsulates it perfectly,

I like not knowing any specific reason for him being that way—because there isn't any reason compelling enough to make a satisfying ending, at least none without a lot of shadow-work done beforehand in the story. But this story was never about that. The point was to be with and enjoy Sumire's character. Like the other characters in the story do. Like the Old Man does himself. Like we all do. Like those who read the story in the future will do. And like the characters who meet Sumire and the Old Man next will do.

Why? Does he live through Sumire? Does Sumire live through him? Are they one-and-the-same, a metaphor for transcience, or for eternal things, perhaps satire about being born in the wrong body?

Fuck if I know.

But Goddamn does it bring a tear to my eye.

—and there, now its gone.
CHILLEDPHOENIXSep 6, 2023 7:11 AM
Oct 12, 2023 8:51 AM

Apr 2017
I don't know about the interpretations of "Sumire was the Old Man's daughter", but I loved that anytime the story got into a heartwarming moment...something would happen and we'd be reminded that Sumire is just a puppet. Like when Ageha is crying because she doesn't have any friends, and Sumire reaches out to her, then runs off after Ageha takes her hand...leaving Ageha holding Sumire's arm, lmao.

Surprisingly wholesome, though I could've done without the creepy moments with Sumire hinting that "she" wanted to be around naked high school girls. I get it, ridiculous moment, but idk, some of those moments seemed taken too far to be funny. I did enjoy the twist when Sumire won student council presidency (...only for that plot to be dropped immediately, for some reason?) and that ero-club member card fell out of the Old Man's suit pocket (which, it turns out, belonged to that yakuza that Akebi stripped).

The chapters with Ryuuji and the Young Woman were hilarious, and how much easier her expressions were to read than the Old Man's.

A bit strange for the Old Man to lie that he was going to go far away. Or maybe he did, then came back? Or maybe he meant it metaphorically? Who knows.

And I like the interpretation that Sumire had helped others, and that's why they all refused to address the elephant in the room.

9/10, a surprisingly good, wholesome and funny story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sumire 16 sai!! Chapter 13 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Feb 11, 2012

1 by Pande91 »»
Oct 6, 2023 2:43 PM

» The Author is continuing Sumire 16-Sai!! on twitter

SightScreen - Feb 25, 2018

3 by Genoard »»
May 19, 2020 1:21 PM

Poll: » Sumire 16 sai!! Chapter 51 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Feb 12, 2012

2 by Genoard »»
May 19, 2020 12:43 PM

Poll: » Sumire 16 sai!! Chapter 50 Discussion

2 by Genoard »»
May 19, 2020 12:20 PM

Poll: » Sumire 16 sai!! Chapter 49 Discussion

3 by Genoard »»
May 19, 2020 12:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.