60 votes
May 30, 2008 1:11 PM

Jan 2008
Spotlight Anime: Cowboy Bebop

MAL Series Information Page: Cowboy Bebop

MAL Score - 8.81 (by 9963 users)
Ranked - #11
Popularity #10

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

*Due to voting rule changes, this series is permanently inducted from its re-vote poll data.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE RE-VOTE POLL:

Cowboy Bebop was PERMANENTLY inducted into the club Anime list:
71 Yes - 84.52%
13 No - 15.48%

21 Don't Know - 20.00% of the total number polled

----------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS OF THE "YOU DECIDE" POLL

Cowboy Bebop was PERMANENTLY inducted into the club Anime list:
66 Yes - 72.53%
12 No - 13.19%

13 I haven't seen this Anime - 14.29% of the total number polled
LindleMar 4, 2018 10:28 PM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 30, 2008 3:36 PM

Nov 2007
There's only a few anime series or movies that I would consider a true classic, and Cowboy Bebop is one of them.

I watched the series when it was first released and I was blown away by how different it was to any other anime of the time in terms of animation, characters, and even story. But the one thing that truly stood out for me was the music.

Animation

The animation in Cowboy Bebop is amongst the best I've seen in anime, and even though it is now 10 years old, the show still manages to hold it's own in terms of animation and character design with more modern action oriented shows. The animation during the numerous action sequences is especially impressive and the character movements are free flowing and naturlistic. The character designs were a work of brilliance, giving each character a mark of individuality even before they spoke. The numerous locales which the crew of the Bebop visit are rendered in amazing detail, giving a surreal sense of realism to the show.

Sound

The sound effects in Cowboy Bebop are excellent. The various locations are vibrant with numerous and differing background noises, from the hum of the Bebop's enginges and the sound of gulls by the sea, to the hubbub of a crowded street and the silence of a church. The voice acting is another area where the show excels. The japanese VA's are extremely well cast, but the show really sets itself apart with the english dub. Cowboy Bebop is one of the few animes in existence where the english dub is equal to, if not better than, the original japanese version.

The most memorable thing about the sound in Cowboy Bebop though, is most definitely the music. All of the music in the show is composed by the world reknowned Yoko Kanno, and performed by The Seatbelts, a band specifically formed by Kanno to perform the music for the series. The music in the show is themed on jazz and blues and is amongst the most appropriate ever used in anime. The opening theme - Tank! - has become a favourite of anime fans around the world (I even have it on my MP3 player).

Characters

Cowboy Bebop has some of the most original and memorable characters to appear in anime - ever. Spike and Jet are most definitely "The Odd Couple" of sci fi anime, or indeed any genre of anime you care to name. Their conflicting characters bounce off each other like peas on a drum, and once Faye is added to the mix it becomes a potent brew of character interaction. The characters in Cowboy Bebop are so well defined that many scenes which would normally appear mundane in other animes are just as memorable in Cowboy Bebop as the action scenes (one springs to mind - Spike and Jet eating eggs after Faye, Ed and Ein leave the ship).

I have to admit though, that my favourite character is Edward. I'm a fan of eccentric, oddball characters that are well depicted and acted, and Edward is one of the best in that area.

Story

The story in Cowboy Bebop generally follows an episodic format, with only a few episodes following directly on from each other. This works extremely well for the show as it allows the viewer to enter the story at any point. The unusual thing about Cowboy Bebop though, is that the characters are developed extremely well for a show that follows an episodic format. This is unusual as shows that follow this format are usually let down in this department for one reason or another. The fact that Cowboy Bebop manages to develop it's characters, and develop them well, is a testament to the strength of the the individual episodes as stand alone stories and the personal history of each character (which becomes gradually clearer from time to time).

Enjoyment

Cowboy Bebop is a sci-fi western with equal parts humour and seriousness. There is a level of sophistication in both the story and it's characters that is rare for a show, regardless of whether it is an anime or not. The only show I can think of that comes close to what Cowboy Bebop has achieved is Firefly, and the similarities between the two are readily apparent. I'd recommend this show to anyone who simply wants to watch a good show, regardless of medium. It's a testament to what can be achieved in anime with the right ingredients, and is one of the most enjoyable animes to ever be made. The only anime that I can think of that comes close to matching it is Baccano!, and if you liked that, then you'll love Cowboy Bebop.
What a day! What a lovely Day!
May 30, 2008 11:24 PM
May 2008
Animation - 9
Sound - 10
Characters - 10
Story - 9
Enjoyment - 10

I'm also another that would prefer having Cowboy Bebop as a classic among anime. Cowboy Bebop was probably the first anime that brought me a great interest into watching anime seriously. Right now today, it is still one of my most favorite animes I have ever watch personally.

Animation - Although the anime has been made quite a long time ago, the animation still stands out well today. One thing about the animation is how well-drawn the characters are made out. The features that are drawn out from the characters makes it simple for viewers to identify them based on their personality.

Sound - I really like how the music was played throughtout the anime. Fans that favor listening to jazz and blues music will get a kick out of listening to them while watching Cowboy Bebop. Another thing that impress me with Cowboy Bebop is how great the voices are perform from several characters. Cowboy Bebop fans will certainly enjoy listening to the voices whether it is sub or dub versions.

Characters - The characters would have to be one of my most favorite areas in the anime. Each of the main characters presents a interesting background and usually a story to tell that brings a great interest to the audience. I find it quite interesting that Spike and Jet end up working together as bounty hunters even though they clearly came from two polar opposites of their past. The other main characters Faye Valentine and Edward also portray areas of interest to the audience.

Story - While there is no straight plotline in Cowboy Bebop, the episodes featuring different storylines are still very entertaining. As I mention earlier about the characters, each of them brings up a intriguing story that resulted from their past. This shows a great area of character development coming from Cowboy Bebop.

Enjoyment - Along with the great character development and music, viewers are also treated with action scenes that can come from outer space or on land. It is also quite fun for myself in seeing Spike taking out anyone that gets in his way. Cowboy Bebop is consider a great enjoyment for myself and most anime fans will clearly not be disappointed in how well-balanced this anime turns out. ^_^
Dark-EvolutionMay 30, 2008 11:43 PM
May 31, 2008 1:39 AM

Jun 2007
Animation 10/10

Oh yes I said it, not only is 90s anime in general some of the best produced anime out there, Cowboy bebop is among the kings of those years. the animation in this show is top notch, amazing character animation mixed with great sci-fi designs on ships and warp gates to weapons and dogs, smooth, stylish, sezure worthy even.

Sound 9/10

Hmmmmmm jazz.....jsnohgu. Yes the music for this show is great from the OP and ED themes being amazing to the in show songs that range from quircky and hilarious to downright dramatic and sad and changes it up a lot during the midst of the show. Sound effects however are almost just asgreat but a little overused, I noticed after seeing a few bagiillion times that a lot of the same sounds were used for amny different things, a way to save budget maybe but none the less is noticable after a while.

Characters 9/10

Always fun to watch is the easy way to put it, seeing the entire team together makes for a great laugh at all times, from Spike just trying to sleep while Ed and is possibly giving birth to a new robot dog mutant while Fay complains about nothing at any given time. Not to mention each background for each character ends up being very interesting as the show goes along.

Story 9/10

Maybe the weakest point of teh show, because this show is very episodic, each episode is great in itself with only a select few leading anywhere to the ending confrontation, so with that in mind the story doesn't really unflold that fast nor is it much mroe thana lover quarrel of revenge, which isn't that unique, however the fact that they don't really go super into it for most of the series for more than they need too is a bit different and makes it more of an easy watch.

Enjoyment 10/10

I loved the series, I remember crying to the end the first time it finished airing on Adult Swim andstill have problem not crying when seeing it again, I eralized I don't own it and need to go purchase it ASAP but nonetheless i'm gonna love it forever.
May 31, 2008 8:36 AM

Nov 2007
Archaeon said:
There's only a few anime series or movies that I would consider a true classic, and Cowboy Bebop is one of them.

I watched the series when it was first released and I was blown away by how different it was to any other anime of the time in terms of animation, characters, and even story. But the one thing that truly stood out for me was the music.

Animation

The animation in Cowboy Bebop is amongst the best I've seen in anime, and even though it is now 10 years old, the show still manages to hold it's own in terms of animation and character design with more modern action oriented shows. The animation during the numerous action sequences is especially impressive and the character movements are free flowing and naturlistic. The character designs were a work of brilliance, giving each character a mark of individuality even before they spoke. The numerous locales which the crew of the Bebop visit are rendered in amazing detail, giving a surreal sense of realism to the show.

Sound

The sound effects in Cowboy Bebop are excellent. The various locations are vibrant with numerous and differing background noises, from the hum of the Bebop's enginges and the sound of gulls by the sea, to the hubbub of a crowded street and the silence of a church. The voice acting is another area where the show excels. The japanese VA's are extremely well cast, but the show really sets itself apart with the english dub. Cowboy Bebop is one of the few animes in existence where the english dub is equal to, if not better than, the original japanese version.

The most memorable thing about the sound in Cowboy Bebop though, is most definitely the music. All of the music in the show is composed by the world reknowned Yoko Kanno, and performed by The Seatbelts, a band specifically formed by Kanno to perform the music for the series. The music in the show is themed on jazz and blues and is amongst the most appropriate ever used in anime. The opening theme - Tank! - has become a favourite of anime fans around the world (I even have it on my MP3 player).

Characters

Cowboy Bebop has some of the most original and memorable characters to appear in anime - ever. Spike and Jet are most definitely "The Odd Couple" of sci fi anime, or indeed any genre of anime you care to name. Their conflicting characters bounce off each other like peas on a drum, and once Faye is added to the mix it becomes a potent brew of character interaction. The characters in Cowboy Bebop are so well defined that many scenes which would normally appear mundane in other animes are just as memorable in Cowboy Bebop as the action scenes (one springs to mind - Spike and Jet eating eggs after Faye, Ed and Ein leave the ship).

I have to admit though, that my favourite character is Edward. I'm a fan of eccentric, oddball characters that are well depicted and acted, and Edward is one of the best in that area.

Story

The story in Cowboy Bebop generally follows an episodic format, with only a few episodes following directly on from each other. This works extremely well for the show as it allows the viewer to enter the story at any point. The unusual thing about Cowboy Bebop though, is that the characters are developed extremely well for a show that follows an episodic format. This is unusual as shows that follow this format are usually let down in this department for one reason or another. The fact that Cowboy Bebop manages to develop it's characters, and develop them well, is a testament to the strength of the the individual episodes as stand alone stories and the personal history of each character (which becomes gradually clearer from time to time).

Enjoyment

Cowboy Bebop is a sci-fi western with equal parts humour and seriousness. There is a level of sophistication in both the story and it's characters that is rare for a show, regardless of whether it is an anime or not. The only show I can think of that comes close to what Cowboy Bebop has achieved is Firefly, and the similarities between the two are readily apparent. I'd recommend this show to anyone who simply wants to watch a good show, regardless of medium. It's a testament to what can be achieved in anime with the right ingredients, and is one of the most enjoyable animes to ever be made. The only anime that I can think of that comes close to matching it is Baccano!, and if you liked that, then you'll love Cowboy Bebop.

I don't think I can say more than Archaeon.

Clearly one of my favourite series ever.
They are neither plants nor animals.
They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them.
May 31, 2008 11:57 AM

Jul 2006
Animation - 6/10
Well, its older, but classic and can still rise above most animation.

Sound - 9/10
Probably the best damn thing about this series is its rockalicious-jazzy OST. i loved it and still listen to it on my ipod even more than a year after completing the series.

Characters - 8/10
the main character is nice and deep, and i enjoyed learning about his past. every once in a while you got to learn a bit about the other characters pasts but the focus remained on the present. i loved the comedic supporting roles, with out them i wouldnt have been able to finish the series.

Story - 7/10
the movie was better. i thought the story of the series was lacking in about every area tho still enjoyable. it just felt like it could be more thrilling or more action, more comedy, etc. i remember the girl's story being interesting too but it wasnt developed enough for me.

Enjoyment - 7/10
i dont enjoy these types of series set in space. and im not a huge fan of episodic series, so i didnt really enjoy this anime, but i can see that its a classic and that guys really admire it.
JuneJun 2, 2008 11:41 PM
May 31, 2008 4:44 PM

Apr 2007
Been a while since I've seen it, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Animation: 9/10

It's hard to rate animation based on the quality alone. Seeing how this series is nearly 10 years old (holy shit) it still stands out well even compared to todays standards. The style of the animation is very pleasant and the fights are well choreographed. The character models are fantastic and each one perfectly displays their character's personality traits. Overall a 9, only because animation can always be better.

Sound: 10

Possibly the greatest opening song of all time and it just gets better from there. Tank is probably my favourite OP to date because of its originality and the way it perfectly sets up the show to follow. The rest of the primarily Jazz soundtrack is awesome as well. The music was one of the main hooks for the show and helps to separate it from other shows in the same genre. I've got every soundtrack and will often listen to it as background music as it is so relaxing.The voice acting is fantastic, with both the sub and the dub voice actors doing a fantastic job.

Characters: 10

A very unforgettable cast that meshed extremely well together. Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed and Ein all fit together perfectly and are helped by fantastic writing. It's hard to top a cast this good. Characters are perfect, we'll leave it at that.

Story: 8

I hate to knock the story as much as I liked it, but since it is episodic I can't give it higher than an eight. I'd love to give it a nine or ten, but I can't help but wish for a longer story arc or two. While the story does have a method of progression, each arc wraps up by the end of the episode. It would've be better if the arcs even lasted for two to three episodes. The larger arc with Vicious is nice, but since it is broken up it is still episodic in nature.

Enjoyment: 10

A straight up ten for sure. This was always the target for the show, and it does an excellent job of. The excellent music, characters, setting and acting all come together to make an amazingly enjoyable show. Nobody hates Cowboy Bebop and unless you are against having fun, then this show is definitely one that every anime fan should own.
May 31, 2008 6:44 PM

May 2008
Animation - 8

As everyone already said, this is an older anime so I didn't expect much from it at first. However, it was done so exceptionally well that it puts some modern anime to shame. The attention to detail is consistent, and the character designs matches well the mood of the story.

Sound - 8

The soundtrack to Bebop is incredible, especially the opening sequence. It is the good opening that convinced me to watch this anime afterall.

Characters - 9

The nice mix with the characters is what makes Bebop enjoyable. This series would actually be fairly dull without all the lively characters.

Story - 6

The story isn't very memorable, but is overall pretty easy to watch in its episodic nature. The story arcs are much too short in its own to leave an impact to say the least. It is also a regret to say that I have been spoiled with a certain event at the end that makes the story even less dramatic.

Enjoyment - 7

I think I understand how Bebop earned its place as one of the classics with its supreb animation, soundtrack and amazing characters. Overall, it is very enjoyable to watch but it left me abit unsatisfied with the ending.
May 31, 2008 7:28 PM

Nov 2007
Let me start by stating that I've only seen the English dubbed version of Cowboy Bebop

Animation: 8/10

I agree with everyone that Cowboy bebop was one of the best in terms of animation, but compared to the high quality animations of nowadays it falls a little bit behind. However, if I was to rate the animation 10 years ago I would've given it a straight 10/10.

Sound: 9/10

Although I watched the dubbed version of this show, something that i usually regret, i still enjoyed both the music (jazz) and voice acting, especially Steven Blum which voiced Spike in the Dubbed version. The op weren't my type of music, but I liked the ending themes: the second was pure classic and the third ending theme, that we see in the last episode (26), was very good and fit the ending.

Episode 26: Ending theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVSmiasnAuk&feature=related

Characters: 10/10

In my opinion Cowboy Bebop does a great job in character build, especially when we consider the fact that its an episodic show. You get to know a lot about the main characters, not everything though. One example might be Julia which I can describe as being mysterious till the very end.

Story: 10/10

Definitely a masterpiece as an episodic science fiction/drama/comedy/action show. Although being episodic, the show succeeds in building up the background for the overall plot, which the show delivers very well in last episodes.

Enjoyment: 10/10

Very enjoyable indeed. I quite agree with Red_Zealot when he said that the target of the show was enjoyment and that it did a very good job on it. Everything was set for your mood to enjoy the set, from animation/ music to story.The ending was shocking, yet one of the best in wrapping up an episodic show like Cowboy Bebop.

Overall: 10/10

I think it is one of the few shows that can be described as a masterpiece, especially when we consider the fact that it was produced around 10 years ago. Being in space, bounty hunters, plot set in 2071 mixed with music that goes back to the 1950's-1970's, and an amazing dramatic ending, these where all factors that contributed in making Cowboy bebop a masterpiece, that's what I think.
itsmeeJun 2, 2008 7:48 AM
May 31, 2008 11:54 PM

Jul 2007
animation: 9
there are a handful of series where the animation is still good even compared to today's standards (hell, compare bebop with allison and lilia and bebop easily wins). character designs.. well, i'm just gonna say that nearly every character is iconic, so in that sense the characters stand out the best.

sound: 10
the people who say 'it's not my type of music' must have a very sad playlist going on. this is easily yoko kanno's best work, some of the catchiest songs i've ever heard and i've got an impressive last.fm to compete with that. "tank" is classic because, well, not only is it a bad ass song it's really an homage to the classic spy shows from the sixties and seventies (venture bros does the same thing). the voice acting is spot on and i can't complain about it.

characters: 10
iconic. every character has lots of flavor and it always seemed to hit right with me. i've seen a lot of ripoffs of spike's character (the dude from gunxsword comes to mind) so you know they did something right there. i just fell in love with all the characters, they all bring something that's different to the table but equally satisfying.

story: 10
i don't care if it's episodic or not. it's the story of the most original motley crew in the history of anime.

enjoyment: 10
how many times do you see wicked kung fu synced up with jazz? it's that kind of fun.

Jun 1, 2008 12:52 AM

Jan 2008
I just voted a 9, which is crazy high in my rating scale. Archaeon, that's a very good review you've written! Cowboy Bebop is a favorite of mine. First, it's a near future SciFi, my favorite genre.

Animation - You may make comparisons to recent animes, but it doesn't really work. The smooth, flowing fight scenes required a huge investment in time and money. More than most studios will dare invest.

The entire purpose the CGI is being developed is to eleviate the hight cost of high frame rate action scenes. And, for me, It just doesn''t have the soul of the animation artists drawing 100's of individual frames for a minute and a half fight scene.

Bebop didn't really have the budget. The animators took it on themselves for the art. It wasn't outsourced to Korea, They were in there, Till god knows how late, drawing thier asses off. All of that and the series Tank'd in the original airings! Thank goodness, the show's greatness has been apreciated since then!

Story - I can't call it episodic, really - The central theme, Spike's story, his life being destroyed by the "Downsizing" of the syndicate, and his ultimate revenge is followed through to the end.
Jun 1, 2008 2:48 AM

Feb 2005
Animation - 9
Considering the series age, the animation is really good, and does not pale much when compared to today's animes. It still pays a great attention to details and manage to keep the quality at the same level through the 26 episodes.

Sound - 10
Yoko Kanno did a fabulous job on CB's OST, the brilliant jazzy tunes, the iconic opening theme and the unforgettable ending themes "The Real Folk Blues" and "Blue" all enjoy a permanent spot on most of my playlists. In fact, I would go as far as to place the Cowboy Bebop OST amongst the best anime OSTs ever, along with such titles as NGE and Utena.

Characters - 10
The main cast really grow into truly lovable characters as you get insight into their pasts and futures, and every one of them have interesting stories to tell. Not only do the characters have all the required character depth and more, it is also presented in a believable way, making their personalities truly come alive on the screen.

Story - 9
Cowboy Bebop strikes a perfect balance between being episodic and story based, starting with several unrelated, yet enjoyable events then turning to character backgrounds and finally ending with a string of episodes telling the truth and end of Spike's story. It is worth to mention that all the episodic episodes manage to entertain and interest you without leaving you restless for the next story segment.

Enjoyment - 10
Cowboy Bebop is widely known as one of the best series out there, and I say it rightfully deserve that reputation. It's an old classic that stays brilliant no matter how old it is, such a brilliant anime is hard to come by.

Jun 1, 2008 5:54 AM

Oct 2007
I gave it a 7 solely based on enjoyment. Since its been a while since I've seen Cowboy Bebop. I'll point out the negatives below without a true rank.

The story is episodic with a few exceptional episodes and many forgettable ones.

I don't like the Seatbelts so it hinders the score immensely.

The animation is solid.

The characters are somewhat interesting but I honestly could care less about Jet.

That being said Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heavens Door is a fantastic movie. And one of my favorites.
Jun 1, 2008 7:56 AM

Jan 2008
Its been a while since I wrote up one these (last one being Monster) because time has not been much of a pal lately. But, anyway here it is.

Cowboy Bebop happens to be a favorite of mine ever since I first saw it on Adult Swim a few years ago, going as far as depriving myself of much needed sleep (when I saw it is was airing at 1 AM on school nights) to view this masterpiece and sure was worth it.

Animation- 10

I agree wholeheartedly with Archaeon on the character designs of the series, to me it stands out as the high point of the animation. It really was not confined to the main characters, each and every character shown throughout the series had a sense of real individuality, a rare aspect in these times of recycled character designs. A main focus of the series is how individuality can make up a cohesive unit and this was brilliantly portrayed through the character designs. Also, the fluidity of action scenes and the integration of CG was done nicely, an amazing feat considering it's age.

A part of this series that I believe gets overlooked is the superb direction. The series is very influenced by film noir and just watching the camera angles throughout is a give away to this. Watanabe does not let any scene go wasted, as his direction heightens all the emotions that he wants his audience to feel.

Sound- 9

Now a nine is rare in this category for this series because of the overall praise it has received for its soundtrack, but my explanation is as follows. I have decided a while ago that when I rate anything on a one to ten scale, nine represents the highest objective quality while a ten is based solely on my subjective experience. Having explained that, the music was well done and fit the scenes appropriately, but I'm not the biggest blues or jazz fan. There are songs (Tank!, Blue, See You Space Cowboy) that I really loved and hold a certain sentimental value to me, but alot of the rest were forgettable. They got you into the particular moment and that is good enough. It is not my favorite Kanno soundtrack. I have to agree with Archaeon that the English dub is one of the best ever. I don't claim to be a fan of dubs, but that maybe because this one has created expectations that are too high for the other dubs to meet. Definitely set the standard for a good dub is.

Characters- 10

I mentioned above that a main focus of the series was individuality, this is obviously seen through the main cast of characters. Starting from the aloof Spike to the genius dog Ein, the amount of personality thrown into the fray on such a small ship is almost too much to contain. The character's interactions with each other serve as the perfect catalyst for developing bonds and creating quality entertainment.

Story- 10

Alot of people get turned off by the episodic nature of series, but I think it adds so much to series (series with great characters, that is). It allows the writers to throw their hardly crafted personalties into many different situations, that they would not be able to before. They are not restricted by a linear story, instead being able to focus on the individual character growth while telling an entertaining contained story as well. But, even though it has an episodic nature, Bebop has a great underlying story that gradually unfolds. I'd go deeper, but I have a fear of giving away spoilers, so I'll stop there.

Enjoyment- 10

It is pretty easy to tell that Bebop is one of my favorite seres (aside from looking at my page and actually viewing my favorite anime section). It deserves the praise that it has gotten over the years, if only based on entertainment value. Its got action, some drama, but most of all, it is fun. I can not recommend it enough.
maxcherry715Jun 1, 2008 9:52 AM
Jun 1, 2008 9:39 PM

Jul 2007
Animation - 8

The animation was a bit too old for me but i was able to stand it. I usually go with animation with visible bright colors. But on the other hand, how the anime is drawn doesn't really help me decide what i will watch. I did like that the anime was drawn differently and wasn't drawn to look cute or anything of that sort. It was detailed which shows that the anime wasn't drawn just to be drawn.

Sound - 8

Not a jazz fan, but loved the opening theme song. It was catchy and just fit with the anime.

Characters - 10

Best part of the anime would have to be the characters. They were enjoyable to watch and i couldn't find one character who i was annoyed with. They all had different personalities and they were also realistic non-awkward personalities.

Story - 8

Didn't really like that the episodes didn't flow, but through the series, they allowed us to understand the characters and the adventures they go on. I would've like it more if the series provided more background information.

Enjoyment - 9

It wasn't till i finished the series that i wanted more. It was a great anime to watch when I had nothing else to do. It was also a very relaxing anime. And I would also like to agree with some of the other people; The movie was the bomb.
Jun 1, 2008 11:08 PM

Sep 2007
Cowboy Bebop is one of those shows that doesn't have to be deep to be great. If you can appreciate style over substance, which I think most anime fans can (lol Baccano), then Bebop is a must-see. It is largely episodic, and admittedly probably most of it is just filler, but it doesn't really try too hard either. Spike is a great lead and the supporting cast falls into place fairly nicely.

I suppose the only negative thing I can say about this is that it suffers from being, well...Cowboy Bebop, which is probably what prevents it from getting a true 10 in my eyes. Still, a very solid and enjoyable late-90's show that should not be missed by any anime fan.
Jun 2, 2008 2:11 PM

Oct 2007
@June: You summed up like almost all my feelings about bebop so nicely XD.

Seishi said:

I suppose the only negative thing I can say about this is that it suffers from being, well...Cowboy Bebop, which is probably what prevents it from getting a true 10 in my eyes.

You mean since it's a popular show and liked by a lot of people you can't see it as a true masterpiece? I think that's a little silly.

Anyway, I'm personally not a huge fan of Bebop. Even though I watched it ages ago (subbed and dubbed), it doesn't really hold much of a nostalgic factor since the story never really entertained me much. Regardless, I still think it's a must-watch since I do respect the series for what it is. I mean, somehow i've managed to watch the series 3 or 4 times (probably more) even though I don't like it all that much.

Animation:7
I love older animation, and so I really do love the character designs in Bebop. Hell, Faye is one of the hottest anime characters I've ever watched. But what I've never really liked about the show is the color pallete. I tend to really like shows with more color and bebop just had too much "dark" colors used. I know it's the style they were looking for, but I could never really get past that. Regardless, the animation in general is really good. The details in it are awesome.

Sound: 9.
Probably the best part about Bebop is it's sound. Tank is really one of the best theme songs, with a great animation sequence to go with it. I also loved their use of sound effects in the show. Now, for voice actors. The japanese voices really do bother me at times, simply because a lot of the side characters don't seem to really fit their voices. However, Jet's seiyuu, it's pretty much a perfect fit for him. Faye's voice is perfect too, but what do you expect from Megumi Hayashibara :). I also think ed's and vicious's voices are really good. The only major letdow is Spike. Spikes japanese voice is good, but at some points I feel it's a little too similar to Jet's.

Now, english voices. Really, this is one of the best dubs i've ever seen, and I despise dubs. But Spike's is absolutely amazing, I prefer it over the japanese one. So are a lot f the side characters, but at the same time I just don't see the same level of acting in the voices when I compare it to the japanese ones. I don't think Jet's voice or Faye's voice are as good in english as the japanese.

Story: 6
The story is the main reason I'm not a fan of bebop. It's episodic, which I'm not a fan of in general. However what bothered me the mst was the fact that it wasn't ALL episodic. Some episodes built up character development or actual plot, but then in future episodes it was totally disregarded. I can stand if a show is completely episodic, or completely connected, but that weird place inbetween bothers me. In a way I felt like a lot of episodes were half filler. They developed all the characters to a certain extent and then left it unfinished. (Like with Faye). I've seen this series multiple times and I still can't really tell you what the story is, besides them being space cowboys. And I still can never remember lots of things about this story. It's not really all that memorable, to me.

Oh, but I have to say that the "Big Shot" program for bounties is absolutely hysterical. I loved watching them advertise current bounty rewards :)

Characters: 8
The characters are highly entertaining. Faye, Jet, Ein, Ed, they're extremely fun to watch. I'm a huge fan of Faye, she's defenitely one of the best female characters I've seen. Ed is also really great. Though I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Spike, sometimes he's pretty entertaining to watch as well. However, the lack of complete character development really killed me. I can't really say much else, but every time I watch this show the main characters are what keeps me going, rather than the story.

Enjoyment/Overall: 7.
This show is really well done and I respect it for what it is, but it's really not a show that can be enjoyed by everyone. However, I still consider it a must-watch simply because it's worth watching at least once. However, I really don't enjoy watching this show all that much. I've seen it multiple times though so it does hold a great rewatch value. But It's not a show that I get excited to watch, or will marathon.

All that being said... I will be very upset if this show doesn't make it into our relations.
katsupJun 2, 2008 4:23 PM
Jun 2, 2008 8:06 PM

Sep 2007
@katsup: no, I meant that the things I appreciate in the show that I think make it great also probably prevent me from putting at the top of my rating echelon. I'm not sure where you came up with that analysis from...the show is well-loved for a good reason.
Jun 2, 2008 9:41 PM

Oct 2007
I misconstrued what you said too Seishi. It seems like you downgraded Bebop just for being Bebop. Which you actually said. Saying that there are things that you really like that prevent you from putting it up as a 10 or whatever you deam great sounds off. Could you point out what you actually liked about it that proves what you also think hinders the show.
Jun 2, 2008 11:53 PM

Jul 2006
i feel that cowboy bebop, eva, akira, ghibli, and even sailor moon are animes that everyone should experience as a base for appreciating other series. know the classics that put anime out into the mainstream to train ur eye for newer/better animes.

i expect scores to be all over. the real question is "will it make it thru 'you decide'?" and the answer is "duh!" ^_^
Jun 4, 2008 4:34 AM

Nov 2007
June said:
i feel that cowboy bebop, eva, akira, ghibli, and even sailor moon are animes that everyone should experience as a base for appreciating other series. know the classics that put anime out into the mainstream to train ur eye for newer/better animes.

i expect scores to be all over. the real question is "will it make it thru 'you decide'?" and the answer is "duh!" ^_^

so true, if u dont c such animes u wouldnt understand nor appreciate the changes in the anime department in general
Jun 4, 2008 7:33 AM

Feb 2008
Animation 8
I can't deny it, bebop has really great animations. The "flow" of the animations is what I consider most noteworthy, it's really easy on the eyes so to speak.

Sound 8
The soundtrack of bebop is among the best I've heard for it's era, perhaps since it's a sound I personally enjoy alot. ;) Voiceacting leaves little to ask for imo.

Characters 9
The best part of the anime. All characters have distinct persona's and compliment each other well. I consider some of the scenes with interaction among bebops crew among the best scenes ever.

Story 6
No real story to follow, it mostly short stories in rapid succession.

Enjoyment 5
I can't say I liked bebop. Sure I watched all of it, and I had a great time during some of the episodes, but overall it was nothing special.

Overall 7
Personally I'd give it a 6, I can't say I like it. It is however, objectively, a really good series in almost all aspects (so the 7 might even be abit low), it just didn't appeal to me.
Success is commemorated; Failure merely remembered
Jun 4, 2008 3:24 PM

May 2007
I can’t believe this show came up for discussion while I’m away. So… this is going to be rushed and unedited (I’m writing it while I should be listening to a speaker, heh) and probably waaaaay too long -- sorry!! And sorry if it’s redundant b/c I haven’t had a chance to read everyone else’s yet! Hopefully, I’ll have time before dinner to c&p on MAL.

Animation, 10.
Sound, 10.

This is one series where discussing the animation and the sound of the series separately would be a grave injustice. There is such harmony and such understanding and mutual reliance between the art and the sound of this series that it feels like the sound is an extension of the artist’s vision and the art is a reflection of the musician’s soul. Like when, in the first episode, Spike is brawling with that bloody-eye dealer in front of the café: the hectic beat of the music felt like another participant in the fight and the fluid grace of their punches and kicks brought dancing to mind. Amazing.

And the use of both the art and the sound to create mood and moment over and over again is just simply brilliant. Um… episode 5? Doesn’t that just say it all? In my eyes, it is the absolute best single episode of an anime that I have ever seen. It might be the best single episode of a television series that I have ever seen. Episode 5 is a study in contrasts of art and music to express the complexity of the story and the characters who carry it: the haunting, heartbreaking music that swells up against the lavish, stunning backdrops against the cool reserve of a man who’s forced to face his past in his present; the soaring voice in a small pool of light, reaching towards the heavens and seeking the protection of the blessed virgin Mary while Faye sits in the dark shadows, sandwiched between the cold, gray corpse of Mao Tenrei (sp?) and the cold, gray shell of Vicious; the gleaming light through the stained glass windows of an abandoned cathedral shining an ephemeral halo around the grappling silhouettes of Spike and Vicious; and, of course, the passive expression on Spike’s face as he falls through the sky, his eye reflecting the shards of glass raining around him to the sound of a lonely piano and a boys’ choir while his past pushes itself into the forefront. Absolutely stunning. Absolutely brilliant.

The art generally is of such high quality that I didn’t really think that it was a TV show when I first saw it… I couldn’t believe it. The work and effort that must have gone into creating those detailed, amazing settings -- so many of which you only see once -- I didn’t know people who cared enough about quality and art to produce something like that still worked in television. ;) And the music… just over and over again, the way it’s used in perfect rhythm and timing with the action of the art, the way it underscores the atmosphere and mood of the story. I don’t know any other show that combines the two so beautiful or utilizes both with such success.

Character, 10.
I thought they took a very subtle hand with the characters. There was so much history and experience in them, that shaped them and forged them, and it so clearly defined them, but they never put it on a platter and spoon fed it to you and you never really got a good picture of everything that happened to them before. I love that. I love that Spike, Jet, Faye and Ed all remained vaguely mysterious to the end, even though it was terribly obvious that they could have told you so much more. I love that they held back and left some things private. It went with who they were as people and it makes sense that they wouldn’t give you more than a few dribbles of information here and there. It was a nice aspect of traditional westerns that I appreciated seeing here. At the same time, this definitely was not a situation where they were unformed and vague characters and the lack of information had to do with a lack of effort. Even a short glimpse of the special makes that utterly obvious.

I also love that they don’t really change -- they don’t improve, they don’t transform or go soft. They are hardened, world-weary people (even Ed!) and they don’t go soft on you. They wandered together out of convenience and when it was time to move on, that’s what they did. They didn’t form a little family and settle down to ordinary, boring, little lives; they survived and, in the end, one by one, rode off into the sunset.

…And seriously, is it even possible to not be a little bit in love with Spike Spiegel???

Story, 10.
This is probably the weakest category for Cowboy Bebop, but it still gets a 10. =P It’s episodic, which some people get all whatever about. I think the episodic nature of the series serves a purpose though. One, because they’re bounty hunters and live sort of a day-to-day, moment-to-moment sort of existence. There isn’t so much continuity in their lives, outside of the people who are on the ship with them. There’s nothing that anchors them outside of the Bebop, in space or time. Two, they’re also all sort of trapped in the past -- most notably in the cases of Spike and Faye -- and they’re just sort of dragging their asses through the present, killing time, which is also better served by a certain amount of choppiness than by a more fluid, continuous timeline. Also, the story really gives you a lot of insight into the main characters and it allows you to experience a variety of rich supporting characters that have their own scars from surviving the harsh reality.

I do have to say that think the greatest strength of the story is actually the chemistry created between the characters and the well-executed blending of many sources. The chemistry is self explanatory, right? The blending of genres is somewhat often seen but very rarely executed with such a deft touch. It pulls from everywhere and it creates this hodge-podge-y thing that some how just works: part western, part noir, part sci-fi, part action, part adventure, part drama, part comedy, part romance. And, impressively, this is reflected again in the blend of blues, jazz, and rock, just as it is in the blend of languages and ethnicities, the variety of settings, of architectural styles, etc. used throughout the show.

Enjoyment, 10.
Brilliant. Iconic. Stylish. Gorgeous. True art. This series changed my view on anime forever when I saw it. Nothing comes close. It makes the most of it’s medium and uses every advantage of telling a story through animation that it can to create a visceral, stunning, painful story that assaults your senses (except for smell, I guess). It is the anime of a decade, of a generation. Amazing. A definite vote yes.
Jun 5, 2008 7:48 AM

Oct 2007
June said:
i feel that cowboy bebop, eva, akira, ghibli, and even sailor moon are animes that everyone should experience as a base for appreciating other series.

I agree completely. Especially about NGE and Bebop, even though i personally don't enjoy the shows so much I can't imagine voting "no" for them on the you decide polls. There are just some shows that make a huge impression on you.

Lowell: that was such a beautiful review.
lowell said:
I do have to say that think the greatest strength of the story is actually the chemistry created between the characters and the well-executed blending of many sources.

I have to agree, the characters and how they interacted with eachother was great. The characters and their personalities are one of the only things that keep me watching bebop.
Jun 5, 2008 11:38 PM

Dec 2007
Animation 8 - I love older animations, so an 8 is fair enough - older animation gain lots of points from the story and character development that they are much focused on.

Sound it was a nice and went nice with the animation, but I didn't found a song that I felt like keeping, so...an 8 for sound is fair enough.

Characters 7 - oh, from here my disappointment. I found everything about Jet, Eddy - we even know who is Faye, but till the end I still don't know who the f**k is Spike or why he has a glass eye. The story points at him as the main character, but this is the most "ignored" character, the less detailed. [Yes I wanted flash backs with his life, I was expecting some clear explanations - at least in the end]

Story - 7 I am not a fan of episodic action, I want to look forward for the next episode, wondering about what is going to happen', so at story is another minus.

Enjoyment - 7 - obviously that with a poor main character development and with episodic action the anime couldn't offer me too much enjoyment. I never understood why this anime is so well rated, but I think is smth related to each individual tastes and expectations ^_^

Jan 17, 2009 9:42 AM

Nov 2007

Animation - 9
It's not the best quality out there, but it's very fitting. The characters are easy to remember and overall it's very, very nice. I didn't give it a 10 because they made such a big deal out of Spike's differently-colored eyes but I never noticed it.

Sound - 10
Great. Just great.

Characters - 10
Spike is the most badass character out there. Period. All the chars are well-done, and they even made Ms. Fanservice 3D.

Story - 10
It's a one episode-story type of show, but every episode is very entertaining, with some badass villains, and the backstories are nicely built.

Enjoyment - 10
Great anime.
Jan 17, 2009 10:51 AM

Nov 2007
I'm basically agreeing with Kismet here;

Animation - 8+

While obviously dated, I don't doubt that it was among the best back in the 90s. I haven't seen much contemporary anime to compare with, though.

Sound - 8

I wasn't particularily impressed by Cowboy Bebop's soundtrack. That doesn't mean it wasn't good, however; for the most time it was fitting, and this being a somewhat music-themed show, that was of course a necessity. Voice acting was great, nothing more to say here.

Characters - 7

My main gripe with this show was the handling of the characters' backgrounds. It was only in the later episodes that we got all the facts on Faye and Ed, and by then the show was already over. Neither did I feel that I got to know enough about Spike and the antagonists were gravely under-developed and identity-less. This might've been intentional, but if that's the case, I think it was a bad choice. Character interactions were great though and the characters appearing only in one episode, while completely forgettable, at least got some sort of development.

Story - 7

Cowboy Bebop had some great episodes. It also had a lot of not-too-good episodes, leading me to originally dropping the show. In other words: one of the most inconsistent series I've ever watched. The latter third of the series, when the main story finally starts moving (which sadly wasn't that great), was satisfying, though.

Enjoyment - ranging from 4 to 8, averaging on 6

As mentioned in the story section, enjoyment fluctuated a lot between episodes. Then again, this series was obviously not for me. I don't deny it being original/influential and I appreciate it for being the "core material" for the much superior Samurai Champloo, where essentially all Cowboy Bebop's weaknesses were fixed.

Verdict: ...no.
Jan 17, 2009 11:28 AM

Sep 2007
Animation: 10 - At least, that's what I take it to be from others' comments. While watching Bebop, I couldn't have told you how good the animation was. And I honestly don't care very much. What I can say is that I don't like Bebop's character design, but I do enjoy its settings.

Sound: 10 - Kanno is awesome, etc.

Characters: 4 - I never cared about Bebop's characters. Out of the main cast, the only character that I like is Ed, and that's a fairly mild form of "like". She's crazy and funny - I didn't care about her backstory. Spike's character never impressed me. And I absolutely hate Vicious. Lame white-haired katana-wielding villain. I don't even remember why he wanted to kill Spike.

Story: 5 - The main story itself was fairly enjoyable... it's a shame that it only occupied 4 or 5 episodes. Most of the standalone episodes failed to entertain me, or tell me much about the characters.

Enjoyment: 5 - For reasons already mentioned above.

Eh. I just don't have that much to say about Bebop. I don't like it, I don't hate it. I don't really care about it at all. It's one of the first anime I watched, but it fails to stand out in my mind. If it weren't for people harping on how it "revolutionized anime" or whatever, I'd probably have forgotten about it already.
Jan 17, 2009 12:42 PM

Jul 2008
Totally redefined what was possible in an anime. No one knew that such a high level of writing, comedy, action, plot, and emotion could be conveyed in a fucking anime series before "Cowboy Bebop".

"Cowboy Bebop" is one of the few anime series that non-fans of the medium can watch and strongly enjoy regardless of personal preference.

Before I had watched much anime, I asked a friend what was worthwhile viewing. The response was, "Just watch Cowboy Bebop. That's it. Everything else is worse than it anyways!"

Now, that was before Samurai Champloo, and some other innovative and amazing series, but I don't think many of them would have EVEN BEEN POSSIBLE without Cowboy Bebop.

So is the series perfect? Not even close. It's essentially a variety show, and some of the individual episodes are weaker than others. Just off the top of my head, 7 years after watching it, Episodes 6, 15, 19, and 24 were very average.

But aside from the main plot arc, whose episodes are all on an unbelievable level of quality, Episodes 1-4, 20, and 22 (was that the one with the rival cowboy bounty hunter?) were stories one had never seen in the medium before.

Who knows? Maybe Shinichiro Watanabe short-changed himself by going into anime instead of live action. But he changed everyone's perception of anime in the process, including mine.
Jan 19, 2009 3:59 PM

Feb 2008
Perhaps I'll try and make a more in-depth contribution at some point, but, barring the want to raise a question mark at 'such a high level of writing etc.', as, when all is said and done, it's not as if it were that high, nor is it a show that appeals to everyone, I'd like to highlight a point made by ShaolinRibiero in the preceding post:

ShaolinRibiero said:
Just off the top of my head, 7 years after watching it, Episodes 6, 15, 19, and 24 were very average.

But aside from the main plot arc, whose episodes are all on an unbelievable level of quality, Episodes 1-4, 20, and 22 (was that the one with the rival cowboy bounty hunter?) were stories one had never seen in the medium before.

Perhaps it's quite different for some, or even most, of you, but for me the ability to remember individual episodes of a series, as against the near inevitability of completely forgetting even the most basic facts of almost all series seen after having completed it, is the hallmark of a masterpiece.
This originality (be it in story, pacing, character actions, whatever) in a few episodes alone, making them so very much memorable, is a reason in and of itself for the show to have my vote.
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Jan 19, 2009 11:06 PM

Jul 2008
santetjan said:

Perhaps it's quite different for some, or even most, of you, but for me the ability to remember individual episodes of a series, as against the near inevitability of completely forgetting even the most basic facts of almost all series seen after having completed it, is the hallmark of a masterpiece.
This originality (be it in story, pacing, character actions, whatever) in a few episodes alone, making them so very much memorable, is a reason in and of itself for the show to have my vote.

Part of it was the fact that I watched and re-watched it a long time ago, one episode at a time. Nowadays, when I watch a series I really like at a rate of seven episodes a day, it's much harder to remember each particular one.

But definitely, the stories were so unique and had such a high level of writing, that it would be hard not to remember them specifically.
Jan 20, 2009 2:07 AM

Nov 2007
This is easily one of the best series (anime or not) I've ever seen. I really enjoyed it being episodic and every single episode seemed so well-made and tasteful. A lot of things have been said already but I really wanted to add that I can't imagine this series to be one consecutive storyline, would kinda remove the magic from the show.
Jan 20, 2009 4:49 PM

Dec 2007
Astounding art and animation, original setting, solid characters, stories that mix seriousness with humour, very realistic situations, great OST...

It has my vote.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 21, 2009 4:08 AM

Jul 2007
Timeless piece. Best fucking OST in the anime world. All the pretty horses. All the pretty things.

11/10.

-1 for being popular.

so 10/10.
Jan 21, 2009 10:38 AM

Jul 2008
Since when do Singaporeans get to be elitist snobs?
Jan 21, 2009 4:13 PM

Jul 2007
Since the time you asked.
madeenerJan 21, 2009 4:16 PM
Jan 21, 2009 4:24 PM

Jul 2008
madeener said:
Since the time you asked.

I expected "Ever since we realized that learning English at school gave us outrageous British accents!"
Jan 21, 2009 5:39 PM

Nov 2007
I own a dog. I will give you a penny if you can guess his name correctly.

10/10
Yes
Jan 22, 2009 9:17 AM

Dec 2007
chryseis said:

10/10
Yes

Sorry for the derivating conversation...

But that thing is so cute. Give it a hug from my part. ^^
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 24, 2009 2:32 PM

Nov 2007
ladyxzeus said:
chryseis said:

10/10
Yes

Sorry for the derivating conversation...

But that thing is so cute. Give it a hug from my part. ^^

in the name of cute, it is OK. i will surely give him a hug!
unfortunately he is nowhere near as intelligent as his anime counterpart-.-
Sep 19, 2016 10:44 AM

Aug 2014
Why would Somebody Challenge this one? it's useless.v
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.