Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2008 11:09 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I can just imagine kids taking this show to heart and leaving home and school, then realising in Japan without immense luck or a degree the only job you'll be doing is flipping burgers for the rest of your life, if even that.

Nice way to repay the human who looked after you for 18 years Yukari!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 28, 2008 3:12 AM

Mar 2007
I saw it on some Discovery Documentary that the drop out rate for japanese highschool kids is at its highest (dunno what year but pretty recent). So, Yukari is pretty much acting like a typical modern day japanese highschool girl.

Honestly, its an interesting take to portray considering how common this route is becoming especially in japan. Surprised not many other drama anime follow paths like this.
Lets see if caroline is gonna be the next model ...or the next Gravure Model

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Sep 8, 2008 5:10 PM

Jun 2007
-thinks she will go back to school&apologize to her mom-
then again, Im not 100% sure :o

ps. >.< love how the girl with pink hair(miwako?) says caroline<3
xD
caroline~ caroline~
Nov 27, 2008 2:41 PM

Feb 2008
Aww~ Mikako is so cute.
Go Carrie for getting an awesome modelling job plus loved her hair for the interview.
Jan 21, 2009 11:39 AM

Mar 2008
alas, i can't help it, but i'm kinda getting bored!!
she's getting prettier, the more make up and nice clothes shes wears.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2010 8:01 AM

Apr 2009
This looks more and more like a trip towards self-destruction to me... interesting...
Jul 8, 2010 9:14 PM
May 2008
Alas86 said:
This looks more and more like a trip towards self-destruction to me... interesting...

This, as well as what beatnik said... I believe this is going to turn out to be a tale of "live and learn".
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 28, 2010 8:47 PM

Jan 2010
NeloDeath said:
Alas86 said:

This, as well as what beatnik said... I believe this is going to turn out to be a tale of "live and learn".

Agreed. Carrie seems stupid for doing this if you ask me.
Oct 16, 2010 11:38 AM

Feb 2009
shellybell said:
NeloDeath said:
Alas86 said:

Agreed. Carrie seems stupid for doing this if you ask me.

Everything depends on the point of view. For me, as much as it also seems to be "live and learn" it's good, better than a miserable life of constant studying. At least later there will be something to remember, and not regret spending life monotonously.
Living only to meet up someone's expectations and not being able to act for oneself, i would choke.

Beatnik said:

You may be right, but again, for me, with the ratio of quarrels I have with my mom, and "do this do that, why aren't you studying" if I had such carefree friends I could consider it an option, I mean running away, but maybe not permanent.
Oct 16, 2010 12:04 PM

Jan 2008
lolwutwhatever said:
Beatnik said:

You may be right, but again, for me, with the ratio of quarrels I have with my mom, and "do this do that, why aren't you studying" if I had such carefree friends I could consider it an option, I mean running away, but maybe not permanent.

I guess I could only say what I did because I'm in my 20's and can realise what a pain in the arse it must be to raise a kid for years only for them to ignore you once they hit their teens.

Unfortunately Paradise Kiss isn't a poignant reflective piece of work on the pains of parenthood and angst of teenage years. It's just....Paradise Kiss.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 27, 2010 2:45 PM

Aug 2009
Beatnik said:

How true indeed. This episode gave me the goosebumps regarding my studies and future.
Aug 31, 2011 12:14 AM

Mar 2011
I see where Yukari' coming from but...it all seems way over-blown. There are indeed a high stat of drop-outs, especially in Japan but..I wish Yukari handled it better. At least prepared before-hand rather than winging it and relying on her friend's help. I really hope she does alright though. It'd bum me out if she failed and returned to her old life. Then again, that's life.

-Memorable line for me...when she said she may not succeed but she won't die. Or something along those lines.. x)
Mar 26, 2013 3:17 AM

Jan 2013
Nice and serious.
I guess Japan is different. She couldn't stick it out and get a highschool diploma without taking college entrance exams.
Apr 17, 2013 10:10 PM
Aug 2011
The sisters look the same. XD

Looking forward to seeing where Yukari heads off into, life is hard out there. for a pimp
Apr 19, 2013 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
I can't wait how yukari is gonna be forward in life.
May 3, 2013 6:30 PM

Mar 2012
Am I the only one that thinks everything is moving so fast? Yukari has known those people for how long....a week? (And that's pushing it) She's already relying on them to house her, quitting school to join a fashion show for them she didn't know anything about a few episodes ago and is already smacking lips with George (who she hardly knows.)

.....Just my opinion.
Aug 4, 2013 4:53 AM

Dec 2012
I really like how rebellious teenagers can relate to this anime... I mean you don't necessarily have to be a rebellious teenager, but having yourself be as oppressed as she was by her mom can certainly make you long for her kind of life. (I mean if I could quit school and become a model, and move out, get a hot boyfriend and have fun like her... well that would be superb #jealous)

But I'm really enjoying this so far.

I still would've finished high school at least.. lol
Aug 14, 2013 7:50 PM

Jul 2013
I'm happy for Yukari in her quest to find both freedom and fulfillment, but the stakes are high when you try to follow a dream rather than sticking to the safer and ordinary path.

If she's in high school, why do I remember seeing that she's 20 years old? And BTW, she looks like the grown up version of the smart girl in FLCL.
Apr 10, 2014 10:40 PM

Aug 2013
It's her first taste of freedom plus she's finally found a place she belongs, can't blame her for doing what she did. Still, that was stupid. Don't want to finish high school because you're not going to college anyway? Heh I guess the concept of job requirement hasn't occurred to her yet.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 13, 2014 11:28 AM

May 2012
Impressive development! I really love where this is going :3 Great realism!
Jan 22, 2015 11:36 PM

Sep 2014
Great episode as always, but Yukari didn't make a smart choice. She's almost done with high school, she could have at least finished that. I hope her decision bites her in the ass.
Dec 2, 2015 9:52 AM

Aug 2013
k0k0 said:
Beatnik said:

How true indeed. This episode gave me the goosebumps regarding my studies and future.

Well, I think that you are wrong. So wrong. Looking after is not everything. If parents are pushing their kids for doing things which they want, and not giving any freedom, then I think it's a matter of time for a thing which Yukari had done. This is not right. I had much freedom (of course I was doing what belongs to me, like studying etc), and I'm really grateful to my parents for this.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 6, 2016 10:25 AM

May 2015
rsc-pl said:
k0k0 said:

Well, I think that you are wrong. So wrong. Looking after is not everything. If parents are pushing their kids for doing things which they want, and not giving any freedom, then I think it's a matter of time for a thing which Yukari had done. This is not right. I had much freedom (of course I was doing what belongs to me, like studying etc), and I'm really grateful to my parents for this.

*applauds*

While I question whether Yukari is actually doing the right thing, her parents could have at least heard her out. They could have negotiated; they could have made a deal that she would at least finish high school, and that they would talk more about the issue once she graduated.

I also think that Yukari would be better off dating Tokumori. Her relationship with George is simply unhealthy, and he doesn't seem to care what she does. Granted, he wants her to make her own decisions, but he could have at least chimed in. Tokumori, on the other hand, seems to be genuinely concerned about Yukari's well-being.

Honestly, though, the most surprising part of this episode for me was the fact that a josei drama would break the fourth wall, lol.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Jul 26, 2016 6:35 PM
Jun 2013
The more I watch this the more I suspect this story is best suited for manga form. There's not a lot of music, minimal movement (so many still shots),tons of dialogue, it feels like it should all just be read.
May 19, 2020 12:10 AM

Jul 2015
Despite looking the most deviant, Arashi looks like the person with the most common sense there suggesting she shouldn't have done those things

No wonder Caroline wanted to escape her old lifestyle, almost no true friends who care about her absence, strict mom, studying for tests without being particularly good at it

Jun 4, 2020 4:22 PM

Sep 2018
Nice, Caroline, and the show, are starting to come into their own. Before the show felt like a chore to watch and the formating felt like it didn't work and it was frustrating to me. But now it seems like everything just works.

animeguy17 said:
The more I watch this the more I suspect this story is best suited for manga form. There's not a lot of music, minimal movement (so many still shots),tons of dialogue, it feels like it should all just be read.

That seems more like your own personal preference for what you like that it is legitimate reasons. Many people need to learn the difference, and not just on these forums.
KristiwazhereJun 4, 2020 4:26 PM
Jul 1, 2021 5:09 PM

Jan 2021
Great episode.
I’m happy that Yukari has her freedom.
Jan 26, 2023 10:14 PM

Feb 2017
art hoes are bad influences lol. I'm surprised Arashi was being the most reasonable one, though I guess Miwako was also doing her best to help. It's good that she wasn't just hyping her up and is trying to get her into a job. George being a bit bitchy about her using the studio space and then suggesting that she move in with him seemed like a red flag. I still like him at this point but I feel like he's being built up as toxic by the show, or at least not a good match for Yukari.

Though I think the show does a good job at making a character's points seem understandable even if you find them disagreeable. Like I can understand George's way of thinking for everything even though he's somewhat frustrating haha.
JKKHJan 26, 2023 10:18 PM
Feb 14, 2023 2:14 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Things are fast, she already left home and dropped school, she's getting her first mannequin work it seems like, nice!
Feb 15, 2023 9:34 AM
Dec 2016
Yukari is making me anxiouussss !!
Dec 31, 2023 3:41 AM

Jun 2020
Of course her choice is wrong . Achool and university is not for everyone and some people can be have a good life without them but it was better for her if she at least finish the school.Its very obvious that she didn’t knew what she wants in her life and her mother made the situation worse with just make her dependent to school. So that she makes a choice this fast is normal to me. I think she is gonna regret it in later episodes but in the same time I hope she is still gonna continue doing what she wants but with more sense in her head.
Jan 23, 12:13 PM
Jan 2024
ainda não to acreditando q ela fugiu de casa e largou a escola pra ser modelo sem nem mais nem menos, ela meio q revolucionou ta

More topics from this board

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Firemonkey5 - Mar 26, 2008

141 by Mirorin »»
Apr 5, 3:34 PM

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 9 Discussion

Ranivus - Jun 28, 2008

25 by Mirorin »»
Apr 5, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 8 Discussion

Ranivus - Jun 28, 2008

37 by Mirorin »»
Apr 5, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 6 Discussion

SunSir - Mar 17, 2008

40 by Mirorin »»
Apr 5, 1:29 PM

Poll: » Paradise Kiss Episode 3 Discussion

Ranivus - Jun 28, 2008

42 by Mirorin »»
Apr 5, 12:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.