How would you rate this anime?
Nov 5, 2010 9:55 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island

MAL Anime Information Page: Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island

MAL Score – 8.39 (by 9904 users)
Ranked - #120
Popularity - #493

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Hunter x Hunter: Greed Island was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
2 Yes - 10.5%
17 No - 89.4%

59 Don't know this anime - 74.6% of the total number polled
1 Abstained - 1.2% of the total number polled
santetjanNov 16, 2010 9:31 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 6, 2010 1:50 PM

Dec 2007
It's just another part of the progression, I have no idea why would anyone think that something as incomplete as a section would deserve to be in the relations.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 6, 2010 2:26 PM

Jul 2008
ladyxzeus said:
It's just another part of the progression, I have no idea why would anyone think that something as incomplete as a section would deserve to be in the relations.

Why don't you ask Daisuki? She thinks anything and everything HxH related should be in the relations for the sole reason of being HxH.
Nov 6, 2010 9:52 PM

Sep 2008
I share the same sentiments. I don't think Greed Island is worthy enough as standalone. Even if you consider HxH as a whole, it wasn't the best part of the series either.
Nov 10, 2010 1:22 PM

Sep 2007
I would disagree that Greed Island wasn't the best part..well at least as far as enjoyment. While I will say that Hunter x Hunter is probably one of the better shounen fighters I've read/watched, it was basically just one buildup and letdown after another.

Greed Island was the only part of the series that I felt had an appropriate climax and finish. While a lot of the stuff was a bit absurd (lets settle this with a game of volleyball) it did fit considering it took place within a game. That and the true conclusion was confronting the Bomber.

In addition to the whole 'nen' fighting system, including new rules specific to the Greed Island game just made an already entertaining fighting series that much more so.

However this is an automatic no because I don't support direct sequels in our relations lolol.
Nov 10, 2010 1:43 PM

Apr 2009
The best part of Hunter x Hunter for me was the exam arc. Greed Island and Kurapica Revenge arcs are pretty much equal and I like them for different reasons.
BlackMagic said:
I don't support direct sequels in our relations

Come on! Even if the sequel is better than the prequel? For example, Ookiku Furikabutte Season 2.
Nov 10, 2010 2:01 PM

Sep 2007
I'll have to take your word for Ofuri since the 1st season ranks among one of the worst shows I've ever managed to finish.

The only way I will vote yes for a sequel is if it either manages to standalone well and be understood without watching the parent story or prequel...or if it is a true sequel but a great amount of changes were made such as theme, production studio, animation, etc.

Otherwise I just consider it redundant. When we have the prequel already in relations then we can probably assume that anyone who picks it up to watch will continue with the sequels if they enjoyed the first one.

The only exception would be if the prequel or parent story has been permakilled, in which case then I wouldn't mind maybe seeing a sequel come up since it would be like saying..this franchise may be lacking, but this part in particular is pretty amazing if you don't mind getting to it. Case in point: FMP-TSR
Nov 10, 2010 2:35 PM

Sep 2008
BlackMagic said:

Greed Island was the only part of the series that I felt had an appropriate climax and finish. While a lot of the stuff was a bit absurd (lets settle this with a game of volleyball) it did fit considering it took place within a game. That and the true conclusion was confronting the Bomber.

But wasn't those parts in Greed Island Final? That's why I said this OVA wasn't really good, since the only good parts of that arc is in another OVA. (G.I. Final). Even so, I doubt I would consider giving a yes to GI Final if it is ever nominated.
Nov 10, 2010 2:56 PM

Sep 2007
Ah yeah, true. I keep forgetting that Greed Island was cut in two. So basically we are voting on half of an arc of a series...would need to be something close to a masterpiece or something very groundbreaking to get a yes vote from me with just that.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.