Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (34) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 28, 2010 1:28 AM

Jan 2009
TensaiShonen said:
nothing wrong with that, I'll be 24 in half a year and I'll still be watching anime, same as when I'll be 34....anime is just another hobby, and if your ashamed of your hobby just because of your age, just think there are men around their 40's and 50's who still collect stamps

True, but many people I know think of anime as "crappy kids show" and that all adults who watch them are retarded. -____-;
Nov 28, 2010 1:37 AM

Jun 2009
I don't. Not unless in some form of long running conversation it winds up popping up. I especially don't tell those I know really like American comic books. D| I know it's not ALL of them but a lot of the ones i've met have attached this stigma on anime/manga fans that I really don't want lagging around me. In more recent years i've finally come up to terms with my love for it but at the same time i'm still tentative about mentioning it. One too many times i've heard people call me out and stereotype me and it's rather annoying. >m> The other issue I have is that i'm black and that really doesn't roll over well with the atmosphere of people I tend to be around.
Nov 28, 2010 1:50 AM

Jun 2009
i don't give a damn about what they think .. if anyone asked i'll answer proudly (YES) ;)
Nov 28, 2010 7:07 AM

Aug 2010
If they ask, I'll proudly answer yes. I'm not ashamed of it at all! Hell, I wore an Akatsuki cloak on career day and occasionally wear a dog tail to school. :)

That would be a different story if I lived deep in the ghetto, though.
Nov 28, 2010 7:15 AM

Jul 2009
If people ask, I'll say it.
Nov 28, 2010 7:15 AM

Jul 2010
Reading this thread, I just realized that people do look down on anime that much, huh? I didn't know since all this while from elementary school up to college I'm always surrounded by people who watch anime/read manga (mostly just the big 3 though).
Nov 28, 2010 7:19 AM

Sep 2008
If they ask, sure. I see no reason to hide it.
Nov 28, 2010 7:15 PM

Aug 2009
Amarevia said:
True, but many people I know think of anime as "crappy kids show" and that all adults who watch them are retarded. -____-;

that's where you educate them and let them know what anime really is, if they're friends then they should have the heart to at least listen and if they need more convincing then that's where you show them shows like Elfen Lied or other series you think aren't deemed for kids(or GitS or Monster if you want to show something intellectual).....if they still think they're for kids after all that, well hey, you've proved your point an you gave it a try. There's no shame in that and just proves how ignorant some people are.

And yes, I've been in similar situations where friends new to anime say "anime is kiddy stuff" due to shows like Dragonball and other shonén or moé shit that looked like it was targeted for a young audience(which I guess doesn't help) but once they see gore or something that's borderline hentai it changes their views on the matter and most actually get into(asking me if I can burn them a series} Right now I'm a blockbuster for anime with a lot of my mates who use to think ignorantly.

The ones who still think "anime is for kids" after educating them as best as I could are usually the jocks in my college which I never worry about as they're too busy pumping weights and trying to look good so they can score their next lay(which I think is very childish by the way)
Nov 28, 2010 8:24 PM

Oct 2010
No ... only if they ask.
I have some terrible experience were i told people that i like Anime they started to laugh at me( i am talking about some adults not my friends ).
My father and Mother knows it and they dont mind it.
Nov 28, 2010 9:32 PM
Dec 2009
I only tell people that I watch anime.
Nov 28, 2010 11:29 PM

Nov 2010
I used to be really embarassed about it because in primary I was always asked "why do you like anime, you're not asian!" and even my best friend refers to me as an asian wannabe, and when japanese students came this year my friends like "ohhh! you should go talk to them I mean you watch enough anime!" that same friend also think anime is the only thing i watch. It kinda pisses me off how stereotypical people can be...yeah if someone asks I'll say yes but I usually keep it to myself, considering its only usually my close friends who pick on me, the only people I usually tell. Yeah I'm pretty sesnsitive, I know I shouldnt be so self-conscience...
Nov 29, 2010 6:49 AM

Nov 2010
Sure if people ask me if i watch anime or read manga i will say yes, but i dont usually bring it up, in the town i live in most people dont even know what anime is, when you refer to anime the say "is it those cartoons like superman and ed edd and eddy?", which doesant help things when you say that you do like anime couse they get the wrong idea and classify you as an 'immature kiddy', but i am slowly working on 'educating' them on how diverse anime is and that it is not all perverted and so on.
Nov 29, 2010 11:54 AM

Nov 2010
If people ask me whether I watch anime I will answer positively, of course. My best friend is an anime fan, too, and with him it's easy to conversate about this theme. But there are many people who don't understand the magic of the anime world and they are convinced that anime is equal to cartoons, which is an enormous mistake. Speaking about whether I like anime or not with people who don't care is absolutely useless, because after all they won't understand. A person should watch at least one anime to realize how unbelievably interesting they could be :)

P.S. Sorry for the mistakes, but English isn't my mother language :)
Nov 29, 2010 1:33 PM

Aug 2009
I tell everyone. I don't care if someone will think less of me for liking anime, there's no reason that they should.
Nov 29, 2010 1:44 PM

Apr 2009
Only if they ask or seem to also watch it. It's not something I do often enough to use as a subject for conversation.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally
Nov 29, 2010 1:47 PM

Aug 2010
I don't tell anyone unless it comes up in conversation, and I usually don't talk about it much unless the other person is interested too. It's just like anything else, people don't care to hear about hobbies that they themselves aren't interested in.
Nov 29, 2010 3:06 PM

Sep 2007
If I told them, I'd have to kill them.

So it depends on how much I like the person, really.
Nov 29, 2010 7:02 PM

Sep 2010
If people ask me, I'll say yes. It's not something I would bring up in a conversation though if I'm the only person who's really interested in it.
Nov 29, 2010 7:28 PM
Nov 2010
I am 28, a butcher, and an unabashed anime fan lol Though I onlly usually talk about it when it comes up, I have never had any issues telling anyone that I like anime. (I just wished my wife watched anime as well, but no luck there. I just have to chip away at my son when he gets older.)
Nov 29, 2010 7:43 PM

Jun 2008
No. I used to not care but them to many people made fun of me so I stopped telling people. Only my close friends know it but I usually don't bring it up. My mom absolutely hates it. She says I'm wasting my time and money (for the very few DVD dubs I have bought). But I find it a great time waster since I don't really have a life during the school year.
Nov 29, 2010 8:41 PM

Nov 2010
Here's the bigger question: Why not tell people that you like anime? I'm pretty sure that we've all seen some anime in our lives, it'd be pretty hypocritical for people to judge and look down upon you if you say you like anime. As an addition to my statement on hypocrites, aren't we all? So why not just stab yourself might as well because if you ever judge somebody then judge yourself first.

So be shameless and tell your friends that you love anime. If they don't accept you then they aren't your friends. I tell my friends I play Yugioh, that I watch anime, and that I create anime with a friend of mine; and they eventually shrug it off like it was nothing, a thing of the past. In other words, nobody is going to care unless they have similar interests OK.

Not scolding just throwing it out there because I've dealt with this my whole life and I just want to throw some advice to my fellow peers. So yeah as society is trying to teach is to "Express yourself!" and you should tag along with the party bus because life is much more fun if you do what you truly enjoy. =)
Dec 12, 2010 9:44 AM

May 2010
Well mostly all of my friends knows that i watch anime :). well if another person asks i would say "yes" to him too. But the problem is that here in my country most of the people dont like or know anime
Dec 12, 2010 9:53 AM

Dec 2010
Well, maybe not openly. But, if they ask, then yes - I would tell them.

Though all my friends know I love/like anime. They don't mind.

kateikyoushi hitman reborn! ♥
Dec 12, 2010 10:07 AM

Jun 2010
I come from Pennsylvania. It's full of hicks.

What the hell do you think? xD
Fan of Dragonball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

Dec 12, 2010 8:42 PM

Dec 2010
Yep! I love telling people that I love anime!
:) They would recommend me more anime too!
Kind people!
Dec 12, 2010 8:56 PM
Mar 2010
Only if they ask me, meaning I don't tell this hobby openly to others when introducing or describing myself. And plus, I only talk about mainstreams ,if I do get a chance, because people around are a bit ignorant about anime :X
Dec 13, 2010 12:34 AM

Sep 2010
i dont others that i like anime...

they just notice it and doesn't care about it...

and i even got other's to also like anime coz i always bring anime magazine at school and my some of my friends also like it...

i even gain more friends because of it,,,

well thanks to my anime addiction.
Dec 13, 2010 4:16 AM

Dec 2010
the trouble is most males won't admit to liking anything unless it involves drink, women and monster trucks. We're far too insecure.

When we do finally get the courage to admit liking something outside the norm of our society it usually goes like this 'have you seen any of that cartoon shit from japan and shit cos its the shit if you like that kind of thing....not that I do unless you do or some shit.'

And then if you get a positive reply you can say what you really think 'I love anime blah blah blah.'

Luckily my xbox live friends are anime fans so I have someone to talk to....my real friends are a different matter entirely:(
Heads I win. Tails you lose.
Dec 13, 2010 7:00 AM

Oct 2010
It never really comes up during a conversation, but if someone asks if I like anime I'll tell them yes.
My burning passion shall continue to live as long as there is one growing rose.
Dec 13, 2010 4:25 PM
Jun 2009
Yes. I bring it up pretty early on in relationships (both friendship or romantic ones), because I know that I will not get along very well with someone who does not share this interest with me. Saying this early on will save them from having to leave me later on because they just can't understand why I choose anime over things like clubbing.
Dec 13, 2010 9:18 PM

Jun 2010
Why wouldn't you tell people you like anime? It's not like saying "Hey everyone! I just love sitting on fire ant nests wearing pants made of sugar!"
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2010 11:01 PM

Nov 2010
I usually don't say it outright, but it ends up in a conversation anyways. After all, if I'm talking with someone and they ask, "What are your interests?", the first thing to pop out of my mouth is that I like anime. Why hide something that has been a part of my life for over six years?

Dec 13, 2010 11:38 PM
May 2010
No one asks me whether I like anime or not.
Therefore, no one knows about my strange hobby.

Also I don't like when people talking about anime IRL, it's pretty annoying for me.
Dec 14, 2010 12:03 AM
Oct 2010
I've never actually told anyone... Everyone can tell it by just looking at me. lol

1. Always I have my dear Bleach bag with me <3
2. Colorful "anime hair" with very unnormal hairstyles (i cut my hair by myself)
3. Clothes I wear aren't normal (I absolutely love clothes what visual kei bands wear~)

But i think i would tell if someone asked "what're you interested in?"
Dec 14, 2010 2:00 AM

Aug 2010
My close friends know about my guilty pleasures, but it isn't something I advertise or bring up as a topic of discussion. Most people would never believe it from just looking or talking to me.

This includes anime, mmo's, building my own pc's (being a geek in general), stuff like that. I rarely even bring up my job to people I'm meeting for the first time(s). I'm not really embarrassed about my hobbies, I just think people who bring it up often are pretty lame, and otherwise boring/have nothing else worth talking about. People who talk about world of warcraft at a party, for example. I mean really?
Dec 14, 2010 2:56 AM

Mar 2010
Yeah I do. I think people that know me think of it as an slightly off-centre element of my personality. You wouldn't think i would be into anime if you saw me lol.
Dec 14, 2010 8:51 AM

Aug 2010
I have a few friends to which I told that I like animes, but generally, I don't talk so directly. I sometime find myself using some terms from animes, so, I think I am a little subtle telling everyone that I watch them.
Dec 14, 2010 1:16 PM
May 2009
no. because they usually don't know what it is (or they think it's something for kids like Pokemon) and I don't want to end up like some kind of freak. :)
EmotoDec 14, 2010 1:21 PM
Dec 14, 2010 8:56 PM

Jan 2009
I've openly referenced many animes when talking to friends, family im just kinda normal with they know I like it just accept me when it comes to my watching it. Of course, when I'm overly excited when some new figurine comes out or gundam model kit they'll be like o thats cool how much it cost? and then they'll get angry cuz i wasted big bucks for a "toy" lol. As for friends, they're pretty cool sometimes I talk about anime in front of people that don't like anime and it'll just be like story telling and some will listen, others will be like yea those are cartoons (which pisses me off >( ) But other than that remember haters will hate. To put it simply, yes I tell people I like anime in fact I'm proud to call myself an otaku lol.
Dec 15, 2010 2:08 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, in my country it's not big problem...not like in Japan
the whole class knew that I like anime...
IZUMI64Dec 15, 2010 8:38 AM
Dec 15, 2010 2:16 AM
Jul 2018
yeah, most of my friends are in to anime. But when making a first impression I don't bring it up (sadly anime caries allot of misconceptions with it.)
Dec 15, 2010 4:16 PM

Jul 2010
I will speak openly if someone if genuinely interested but if they clearly arent that bothered I just say I watch alot of eastern asian films/tv, as I do watch alot of korean/jap/chinese movies too. I haven't come across any negativity though, usually its just a lack of understaning about the genre on their part.
Dec 15, 2010 6:02 PM

Jun 2009
VongolaXEspada said:
Do You Guys Tell People You Like Anime? Explain your answer, Please Don't Just Say Yes or No.

So how am i suppose to response, lol. But no, i dont just go out and say I like anime, only ask or i have it in common then, i would mention that i like anime.
Dec 15, 2010 7:45 PM

Jun 2010
It's not something I tell somebody out of the blue, but if someone mentions it or asks if I like anime then I'll tell them. Or if somebody says they like anime, I'll be like "Me too! 8D".
Dec 15, 2010 8:00 PM

Sep 2009
AlexSadist-sama said:
Yeah, I'm fine with tellling people only if anyone asks.

that .......
Dec 15, 2010 9:05 PM
Oct 2009
I'll tell anyone who asks my straight out but normally keep it out of school life. The people around me think that it is ridiculous. ><
Dec 16, 2010 1:12 AM

Nov 2010
i only tell people with open minds,, i have a feeling most would think its lame. its a shame reallly.
Dec 16, 2010 1:19 AM

Dec 2010
besides,whether my friends know I watchit it makes little difference to my own personal enjoyment of anime.
Heads I win. Tails you lose.
Dec 16, 2010 1:22 AM
Sep 2010
Only if they bring it up or seem to like anime as well.
Dec 16, 2010 2:18 AM

Aug 2009
Just a recommendation out there to everyone, you don't want to be telling your co-workers about your anime obsession. A reeeaaaaalllly bad idea.
I was doing an internship in japan, and I was denoted an "ani ota" (anime otaku) T_T I mean, I guess it's true, but I kind of felt rediculous afterwards.
Pages (34) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

84 by TitanOfPlasma »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 9 hours ago

12 by traed »»
10 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

67 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
15 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

46 by TitanOfPlasma »»
21 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 11 hours ago

38 by Absurdo_N »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.