Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 27, 2010 2:37 AM

Dec 2010
This episode felt like a space filler, but it did shed some interesting light on the question of pino's consiousness/cogito... Also, this director seems to LOVE shout-outs ( in episode 15, quiz show, was a shout-out/satire of the character "Q" from Star Trek: The Next Generation) and this one seems to show how much he loves disney's classic animation.
Feb 7, 2011 1:20 AM

Apr 2009
Forough said:
I like how it describes the way a proxy plays God for the world he creates but at the same time how it's not really perfect enough to be a flawless God. A God that has his own fears and despairs. Choosing a Disneyland theme to show how he controls his world and all the references were really clever. I really love how this anime tries different themes in many episodes.

You have explained it interestingly there and I agree.

If Will B. Good was a proxy then he just did an "inception" (yes the very same concept in Christopher Nolan's eponymous 2010 film, Inception) on Pino to divert Vincent coming to Smileland.

Besides I'm extremely biased when it comes to Pino. XD :P
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 2, 2011 3:08 PM
Jul 2009
I thought this would be a much more serious anime... But all these "fillers" (or whatever they are) are killing it a bit for me. I really enjoy the series when it keeps to the plot, but all this shit makes me get out of the mood.
May 2, 2011 1:13 PM

Aug 2009
Boring episode, enough with the fillers.
UllusMay 3, 2011 10:01 AM

A man of few words.
May 19, 2011 2:37 PM
Jan 2010
Awesome how Pino realized that something was wrong and protected Vince and Re-l.
Pino the Girl With a Smile
Aug 24, 2011 4:40 AM
Oct 2008
I love the neko security girl! What's her name? Is there any other art with her?
Nov 23, 2011 10:43 AM
Aug 2010
i think this episode was not filler. in fact want show up pinu have a soul. that's why she saw dream.
Dec 22, 2011 4:31 PM

Nov 2011
Forough said:
I liked this episode. I like how it describes the way a proxy plays God for the world he creates but at the same time how it's not really perfect enough to be a flawless God. A God that has his own fears and despairs. Choosing a Disneyland theme to show how he controls his world and all the references were really clever. I really love how this anime tries different themes in many episodes.

Huh. I really disliked it, but the return to normal at the end saved it. It reminded me of Paprika. It was kawaii, and showed an insight into Japanese family life. I knew it was going to be creepy, but I still found it annoying as heck. I didn't want to watch it, but I did.
Dec 22, 2011 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
unclesnapple said:
This was a good episode. Evil Walt Disney meets anime. How often do you get to see that?

This episode hearkens back to the stories about the blonde guy and the shape-shifter. Each of them was like the god of their own town but screwed everything up. Seeing as how Re-l's grandfather (or at least the people who speak for him) want to use proxies as a god, these episodes illustrate the folly of that kind of thinking.

Plus, from a stylistic standpoint, it's good to see the awkward mish-mash of old-school western cartoons and 21st century anime.

I found it really disturbing and annoying. If I want to watch Western cartoons, I'll watch Western cartoons. Then again, it fits into the story. I didn't write the story, I'm only the audience, so I can't really complain. Life is far more disturbing then a cartoon. ;)
Dec 22, 2011 4:37 PM

Nov 2011
Baphomet said:
some12b said:
Well, aside from the fact that when proxies meet they fight and eventually one of them kills the other. I think this episode of ergo proxy tries to explain Pinocchio from a different point of view.

This. Plus, there's a closer look at Pino. We now see that she realizes the worth of relationships.

Ah, so its a given that when proxies meet they fight and only one can survive. Interesting. I still found the episode creepy and disturbing, and not in a good way. I hate it when people tell you to "smile". The thought of "smile land" unnerves me. The adults discussing Pino's smile at the fair unsettled me. Is that why people have children, so they can watch them smile?
Dec 22, 2011 4:37 PM

Nov 2011
SilentSympathy said:
sunshinesan said:
Pino's cuteness saved it.
Otherwise it was kinda meh.

Although it was still kinda meh. >.<

Actually I don't like it when Pino's turned into some kind of kawaii doll. I find that disturbing. I'm not looking for cute. If I was, I wouldn't be watching ergo proxy.
Jan 3, 2012 1:00 PM

Apr 2010
Be thankful for these fillers! Otherwise this awesome show would only have 21 episodes...
Feb 23, 2012 6:56 AM
Dec 2010
Huh ? what a weird episode :P
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Mar 30, 2012 3:22 PM

Mar 2012
What's with you people? Do you realize that a robot like Pino just had a dream? That she is more than a robot with a 'smile' function? Or that smileland is not what it is, a place with superficial grins.
It's better enough that Pino is over adorable. It's not that bad of a filler, there's worst.
Fan of mature, dark, non-cutesy school uniformed choked fan service BS anime.
Apr 9, 2012 1:26 PM

Aug 2010
Felt like I was watching something from Satoshi Kon.
Jul 18, 2012 4:57 AM
Sep 2011
Woah that was such a weird episode! It was good though!:o
Aug 28, 2012 4:47 PM

May 2012
Another filler episode, I just skipped most of it half way through, and this anime lost my interest again...
Oct 23, 2012 10:00 AM

May 2010
This episode didn't disappoint.
Pretty much confirmed my doubts that Proxies can really enter dreams such as the mindscrew episode with the bookstore.
And the theme here did surprised me. Same with the MCQ.
Oct 25, 2012 1:50 PM

Oct 2012
I thought it would be shit but at the end it wasn't so bad
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Dec 5, 2012 11:51 AM

Jul 2012
aero said:
Man, I'm getting tired from watching pointless episodes. I just spent 50min watching eps 25,26 of Eva and now this?? >__>
Lol me too, finished it yesterday, but i actually liked it
Dec 7, 2012 1:03 AM

Mar 2010
Wow, that was the best thing this show has done so far.
Dec 16, 2012 2:23 PM

Dec 2012
It was much better than the quiz episode. It was weird and funny. I liked the feeling that something is not okay with surrounding (nothing new in the series), why in this dream she hears questions about Re-l, Vincent ? And the end of the episode, why did he choose to change the path ? Did he knew that Pino was right ? Maybe it was his 'inner' Proxy that was asking Pino for an answer about his weakness ? Then, why would it make any sense ? ahhhh ... :)
Jan 19, 2013 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
I love this episode, everything about it. All the references, humors, and philosophical undertones were great.
So, we have more confirmation on two things: Proxies are God of each town, they maintains its life support but when they awake, they can cause destruction for that town. Secondly, Ergo Proxy is feared as an agent of death to these Proxies, so they always try to kill him first. Also, it was said that there were 300 Proxies created so it means that there were 300 towns at the beginning. I wonder what town Ergo Proxy was on charge of.
Feb 2, 2013 5:14 PM

Jan 2012
I have nothing against fillers when atleast have something to do with the story. But this was ridiculous.

Feb 8, 2013 11:26 AM

Jan 2013
ThangLong said:
I love this episode, everything about it. All the references, humors, and philosophical undertones were great.
So, we have more confirmation on two things: Proxies are God of each town, they maintains its life support but when they awake, they can cause destruction for that town. Secondly, Ergo Proxy is feared as an agent of death to these Proxies, so they always try to kill him first. Also, it was said that there were 300 Proxies created so it means that there were 300 towns at the beginning. I wonder what town Ergo Proxy was on charge of.

Maybe he was in charge of Mosque:O
Great episode, loved the trippy disney thing going on, also I liked the fact that Pino can dream now that she's "infected" she's just like a human girl but with robot features;p
Feb 10, 2013 4:16 PM
Oct 2010
I loved it! The two so called fillers (being the quiz show episode and this one) are not fillers--they're loaded with information! It's a really clever way of delivering much needed info.
Feb 17, 2013 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
Didnt love the disney utopia feel of the episode, but there was a lot of information.

The interesting part to me was that when proxy-es meet they fight. Then i figured that the quiz proxy killed 25 proxies because he said that before Vincent he played this game 25 times and never lost
Mar 10, 2013 2:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
some12b said:
Well, aside from the fact that when proxies meet they fight and eventually one of them kills the other. I think this episode of ergo proxy tries to explain Pinocchio from a different point of view.

The fact that when Pino smiles is an almost unprescedented act in smile world, sets the mood that she in fact is more human than a puppet (of course this is due to the cogito virus). And the fact that the other "puppets" turn into real people at the will of their creator is just screaming Pinocchio.

The fake, unreal, autoreivs or cartoonish people, have to mantain the circus of smiles in order to survive makes the smile world actually a very depressing world. Since there is no laughter without crying, no happines without saddenss. Never really enjoying anything since they're forced to fakelly enjoy everything.

Thats why like Ergo Proxy, it's some deep $h1t

Wow that's a really nice connection you made! Pino=Pinocchio? :o mind blown!!! This episode was kind of like a character development episode for Pino. I like how Viincent ends up listening to Pino and not stop at the town.

Did anyone else think of Will.i.am when you find out the creator's name is Will.B.Good? o_O maybe it's just me. Btw, it's terrible that proxies have to kill each other when they meet, because that also means the whole town they built dies with them. The world of Ergo Proxy really is strange...
Mar 15, 2013 6:44 AM

Mar 2013
pit_bull said:
If I want to watch Western cartoons, I'll watch Western cartoons.
Yeah, I had a similar feeling during this episode. Mainly the jolting change of pace in these so called filler episodes has been annoying for me. I can appreciate the content, but the style seems out of place. So I found this episode kinda meh.
Apr 6, 2013 3:23 PM

Jul 2009
Another filler like episode, well, at least it was better than Vince one...
Apr 11, 2013 9:17 PM

Dec 2012
This wasn't filler. It's an original anime, not a manga based one. A series with 23 episodes is short compared to a series with 40 or 200 episodes like Bleach or Gundam. Plus what others have said with Pino and the Proxy itself is proof alone that this was not filler. It was more like the writers being clever and creative with a series they put so much work into. Especially when it pays off at the end with answers to everything.

They were having fun with this episode and the 15th ep. It's kind of like down time to crack jokes at whatever they do in their office. If they were to give you flashbacks or some same old 'meet an enemy and fight' episode then it would be repeating just about any other show that does that.

(Now I don't know if that was what the writers or directors were doing/thinking; I was not there but it's a rational cause^^^) I think we have all done this when we do a project in a group or if one has ever done animations or game programming.

It was a good parody of Walt Disney and Disney world itself. A dark themed or thought provoking anime can have satire you know. When you realize this you can then truly take in an artwork like this series and appreciate it for what it's worth.

I'm a writer so when people complain how boring a story is or that something was not necessary; in a series that's not as mainstream and perhaps obscure like a series as this I get really annoyed.
Apr 21, 2013 6:11 PM

Jul 2007
t3hruroni said:
This wasn't filler. It's an original anime, not a manga based one. A series with 23 episodes is short compared to a series with 40 or 200 episodes like Bleach or Gundam. Plus what others have said with Pino and the Proxy itself is proof alone that this was not filler. It was more like the writers being clever and creative with a series they put so much work into. Especially when it pays off at the end with answers to everything.

They were having fun with this episode and the 15th ep. It's kind of like down time to crack jokes at whatever they do in their office. If they were to give you flashbacks or some same old 'meet an enemy and fight' episode then it would be repeating just about any other show that does that.

(Now I don't know if that was what the writers or directors were doing/thinking; I was not there but it's a rational cause^^^) I think we have all done this when we do a project in a group or if one has ever done animations or game programming.

It was a good parody of Walt Disney and Disney world itself. A dark themed or thought provoking anime can have satire you know. When you realize this you can then truly take in an artwork like this series and appreciate it for what it's worth.

I'm a writer so when people complain how boring a story is or that something was not necessary; in a series that's not as mainstream and perhaps obscure like a series as this I get really annoyed.

I heavily agree with your post, especially the bolded aspect. I enjoyed what the Proxy perspective I saw from this episode and was thusly entertained. :)
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Apr 21, 2013 6:17 PM

Feb 2013
Indeed, I enjoyed this episode myself. At the beginning I was staring at the screen gaping, but it turned out well, further developing Pino as well. Nothing to be angry about here.
May 23, 2013 8:14 PM

Jan 2013
Boba_Fett said:
Another filler episode, I just skipped most of it half way through, and this anime lost my interest again...

Boba_Fett, Shush, I've had enough of your negativity.
This episode was awesome.
Jul 6, 2013 2:15 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ergo Proxy never fails to surprise me. At first the WTF, factor was strong, but once Will B. Good entered the episode made more sense in the context of the series.

This series is big on ideas about the nature of the self and about breaking free of one's limitations to explore the outside world. Smile Land is another self contained miniverse like Romdo, were there is little if no development. Wherever Ergo Proxy goes (Vincent), there is destruction and with it change. Hence the 'local' Proxy used this powers to access Pino's dreams to find a way to defeat Vincent. When that wasn't possible he begged of her to keep him away so that Smileland could continue it's present way of life.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 13, 2013 5:19 AM

Nov 2012
Seriously this anime don't need these fillers. What the heck if it is some episode shorter who the f*ck gives. If this anime didn't had fillers it would probably be rated much higher than it is now.
Jul 13, 2013 9:00 PM
Jan 2011
Forough said:
I liked this episode. I like how it describes the way a proxy plays God for the world he creates but at the same time how it's not really perfect enough to be a flawless God. A God that has his own fears and despairs. Choosing a Disneyland theme to show how he controls his world and all the references were really clever. I really love how this anime tries different themes in many episodes.

Yes. Good points.

Allow me to bring some more points to attention:

1 - The two buddies.
The role of these two characters is that of a someone looking for his raison d'être. Needless to say, looking for one's reason to live is this show's main point. And so these two characters are trying to meet their creator to ask him the most important question. When asked what they will do after that they dont know. They are shown to frequently change their minds and that further adds to their uncertainty about themselves and their purpose.

2 - The climax of the episode.
The climax was the moment right after the proxy's attempt to find Vincent's weakness fails and puts on a fake smile. All the characters in the room, having witnessed Pino's smile dont miss that and start pointing it out aloud. All of them. The creator's motives are suddenly questioned and is harshly criticized. This is not about his ego or authority. It is about his motives and reasoning being questioned.

His reaction was the climax.

This guy is being criticized by his own creation. That is just wrong... He as a creator created something. He didnt have a reason other than that he felt like it. Yet his reason and way of doing things is being questioned by someone who is just a product of his fantasy. It also says something about the his imperfection as a creator (as it has been mentioned already).
The creator was shown to be complaining about ad libs (improvization) in reference to his 'story'. (quoting: "You are always messing things up with your stupid ad libbing") In other words not everyone did as he wanted. His story didnt 'click' as it should. Among other things, this reminds me terribly of an artist whose work is being recognized, but solely for different reasons he had in mind. Can you imagine the feeling of being so misunderstood? That has to be artist's worst nightmare.

Here, we have the same thing. Creator's creation questions him and after gaining the ability, reshapes itself into something the creator didnt want (the ad-libbing). Its not so much about his imperfection and inability as about his pain as a creator.
The creator/the proxy then explains that there is no reason any of them was born and in my opinion tries to make a point. He is very passionate about it. Its his life work at stake. What follows is utmost rejection of all he says by everyone present with an attempt to vacuum clean him out of the projected picture. Sure he sounded a bit narcissistic there, but come on. That was just so sad...

To connect the dots:
The creator seeks the recognition for his creation. God (even false one) requires people's faith and recognition. Just as people cant live without a proxy that serves as their cradle of life, Proxy can not exist without people recognizing him as proxy. Void recognition gives raise to creator's pain.

3 - Pino's smile.
For anyone wondering, what makes Pino's smile so catchy, it is her purity. Because she is completely naive and unable to understand and express more complex emotions, her joy is the most genuine. Thats what makes her reactions so interesting to watch. She is true to herself.

Marzan said:
This series is big on ideas about the nature of the self and about breaking free of one's limitations to explore the outside world. Smile Land is another self contained miniverse like Romdo, were there is little if no development.

Very good assessment. i like the comparison with Romdo.

aero said:
Man, I'm getting tired from watching pointless episodes. I just spent 50min watching eps 25,26 of Eva and now this?? >__>

You actually said that...
Well, i think the sole fact that you finished Evangelion gives you some good points.
Aug 25, 2013 8:32 AM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
theese fillers doesnt even fit the series at all..
Oct 25, 2013 6:54 PM

Jan 2012
even if this episode was part filler kudos to them for attempting something different and unique and once again like the game show host if you actually get past the ridiculous setting you do get some facts, its not all show! this is coming from some one who detest's fillers i really do!
Nov 5, 2013 9:29 AM

Nov 2009
unclesnapple said:
This was a good episode. Evil Walt Disney meets anime. How often do you get to see that?
0_0 No, trust me, the real Walt Disney was a lot more evil than this dude.

Anyways, it was an okay episode, however it is out of place when compared to the series as a whole (along with the game show) . . . I felt that this series could have been great if it had kept up the momentum it built in the first half of the series, though don't get me wrong, I still like it quite a bit.
Nov 10, 2013 8:10 PM

Oct 2013
I definitely do not consider this ep, and the game show ep fillers. Why would you make a 23 ep long series and put fillers in it? no. they obviously don't need fillers, there is no space to fill......

The producers are juts really big trolls who aren't scared to take the show in the direction they want, they don't really care if some people consider it trash.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 1, 2013 6:29 PM

Nov 2013
What a shithole of an episode, couldn't even watch 2 minutes of it till I skipped the episode entirely. It's just a lousy filler episode trying to be unique and just kills the dark mood of the show like the Game Show episode did.

Mar 4, 2014 3:26 PM
Jun 2013
This episode was entertaining. Plus pino was the star witch is awesome.This defently doesint go on my episodes I dont like list. So far that list is for 11&14.
Mar 11, 2014 11:35 PM

Jan 2013
Ergo Proxy is a unique show. It tries to do things (and successfully executes) that other anime wouldn't even dare to think.
Another great episode. Figured it was a proxy's doing pretty early. That Proxy is a God, but a flawed God at that, was explained nicely.
This is the beauty of wonderful storytelling. Rather than showing a fist fight, first ep 15, and now this one, tries and suceeds to do something different.
This episode also showed how much Pino has developed, that she can consider Vince and Re-L as friends.
In a sense, the 2nd half so far is better than the 1st half, especially in developing the characters.
5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Apr 10, 2014 8:49 AM

Mar 2014
This was a weird filler episode, but I still liked it more than the trivia show episode.
At least this one had a proper twist at the end and didn't end quite as abruptly as the trivia show episode.
Still, All of this filler is starting to distract me from the main plot, which kind of sucks :(
Hopefully there's no more of it until the end.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 17, 2014 9:23 PM
Jul 2012
I knew this episode was a filler already. Didn't suspect it to be filler at all. Don't really like where things started to pick up from the last episode,all of a sudden filler comes which is stinks.Will watch this episode later and move on to the next episode I guess. /: Like the game show episode better.

?/5
May 22, 2014 2:02 AM

Oct 2013
The star of this episode was Pino,well that's good,leting her shine.

Jun 17, 2014 11:55 AM

May 2008
It's pretty funny how so many people are quick to label an episode a filler. Just because it's not the same old dark and dreary doesn't make it a filler. As many have commented, this episode builds Pino's character and what makes her different from other Autoreivs along with incorporating the theme of a Proxy's significance. And because it's Pino *dream*, it makes sense for it to cartoony and fun.

I quite liked it since we've shown just how amazing this cogito virus is and a proxy who isn't a fighter but has nice, if kinda screwy, intentions. He just wants all his customers to continue smiling until the end of the world.
Jul 12, 2014 2:43 AM

May 2013
Sakarii said:
It's pretty funny how so many people are quick to label an episode a filler. Just because it's not the same old dark and dreary doesn't make it a filler. As many have commented, this episode builds Pino's character and what makes her different from other Autoreivs along with incorporating the theme of a Proxy's significance. And because it's Pino *dream*, it makes sense for it to cartoony and fun.

Not mention this is an original story. There is no such thing as filler in this anime. I wish people wouldn't be so quick to label "different" as "filler." And yes, I also believe this episode builds Pino's character, just as the last "filler" gave the viewers a lot of information on the world in Ergo Proxy. This was another good episode.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Jul 31, 2014 5:13 PM
Jul 2014
Talvi said:
This isn't the worst episode you fools. There is Pino!
You can see Pino in plot heavy episodes all the same... The episode was not needed :(
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

93 by LonewolfNBU »»
Apr 12, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.