Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 19, 2010 10:57 PM

May 2010
If any of you have read an interview by the creator Makoto Shinkai concerning this film, you'll know that he left the ending to 5 CM rather open because he felt that a happy ending would be too cliched and that he wanted us viewers to determine for ourselves what happens to the two after the film. Here is the whole "interview"(discussion of the ending is towards the middle)

http://blog.lhyeung.net/lang/en-uk/2008/06/29/meeting-makoto-shinkai-at-london-bfi/#more-2316
Here is the interview:

In episode one “Oukashou” we see young love has been realised between two people but this is hindered by the distance between them. Then in episode two we see via some indirect scenes of how they were living separate lives. I thought we would see Akari making an appearance but she never had any lines. In episode three, I was looking forward to a happy ending but it was a very disappointing one and didn’t really appear to wrap up the story. Did you ever prepare a happy ending for the movie?

A few laughs at this one.

The ending seen in the movie was the one that had been decided upon before production. Along the way Shinkai had thought of changing it but he felt it wasn’t possible and in the end, kept to his original decision. The main reason Shinkai did this was because he felt it would have ended like a fairy tale where the story is wrapped up nicely. On the other hand, he didn’t want to end it that way because he knows that there must be some other important things that await both Takaki and Akari in the future which the viewers can think about for themselves as the two continue living their lives.

Personally after reading this, I felt that the ending to 5 CM meant that they were never going to be together as lovers(which was fairly obvious), but their meeting at the train tracks meant that they were able to see each other again, not just only at the crossing.I think it meant that they could/would be able to see each other in the future and could possibly end up reestablishing their friendship in some way as they are both living in Tokyo.

My question to you guys is what do you think happens afterwards, do they never see each other again, do they get back together in some way, or do they re-establish contact in some way without getting back together?
ZakuHeadOct 23, 2010 9:50 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2010 12:11 AM

Jun 2009
I forgot since I watched this a year ago. But to think maybe like 10yrs is too long and that span of time they've never had any communications or so.. or tried to find ways to contact each other.. and to think Akari "got tired" for waiting and decides to get married.

I can still remember some dramatic parts in the movie, the letter Akari was suppose to give to Takaki (Train scene), and the end of their communication through mailing, Takaki's text message that was sent to his own mobile, and lastly I was really hoping they will meet again - ending scene(but still impossible)

In my personal experience,
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Oct 21, 2010 2:47 AM

Mar 2010
To be perfectly honest I think its quite redundant whether they meet again or not. This is my interpretation:
Oct 23, 2010 1:50 AM

Jun 2009
ryuu_zer0 said:
Finally he caught a glimpse of her at the train tracks and waited for the trains to pass, to find that she didn't wait - she had moved on.
Dude I don't think this happened if I'm wrong coz I'm was thinking of the last scene, I mean they only feel that the other person is there waiting, but he or she didn't actually see the other person. But then again maybe you're right I didn't actually understood fully the last part coz the train and their chances of seeing each other was very fast I couldn't tell. I will try to rewatch the last scene again

Oct 23, 2010 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
i think ryuu-zer0 nailed exactly what happened.

in that final montage, how are the two main character portrayed?

-he is lonely, smoking, drinking, watching tv by himself, essentially still clinging to the love he had for his childhood friend
-she is smiling, happy, with some "unknown" guy, and showing few signs she is clinging to the past.

quite a sad ending, not what i hoped for lol but realistic i guess
Oct 23, 2010 9:46 PM

May 2010
@ Restore and Ryuu-zer0, that's basically what I got from ending(he was depressed from thinking about her too long) but after reading a translated summary of the 5 cm novel, its a bit different than what was shown in the film. Tataki had technically "moved on" from Akari long ago, but he became really stressed out from work and his horrible relationships resulted in his unhealthy lifestyle. This made him wish he could see Akari once more to give him confidence that his life would turn out fine and seeing her at the trains tracks confirmed it for him and in a sense Akari realized she could move on too. Here is the summary if you want to read it.

http://5cm.lhyeung.net/03-5cmpersecond-comparison.php

I really did like the ending even though it wasn't what I wanted and makes me a bit depressed everytime I watch it, but that is what makes it good. It makes us realize that some point in our lives we will or will have experienced something like this and there is nothing we can really do about it.
Oct 28, 2010 5:29 AM

Jun 2009
Thanks for the info a lot of additional explanation was discussed.. especially the letter she was supposed to give to Takaki which was not showed in the movie, but before that I really thought they didn't see each other.. but I wonder about this line

Their eyes meet. His heart and memories stirred just as the train rushed past along the Odakyu Line and cut off their line of sight.

but it contradicts this line

"It would be enough of a miracle if it had really been “her”. -so he partially had this feeling it was her.. but considering it wasn't a 100% sure..

But of course in the 1st place my answer it's impossible for them to see each other again, but the memories will be forever in their hearts.. I just need some clarification back then about whether they seen each other...

But I just hope they will meet once again - a reunion perhaps..

Okay enough of this.. it's making me more depressed haha.. I hope Shinkai will make another movie but in a happy one..
ZinvyOct 28, 2010 7:40 AM

Oct 28, 2010 5:56 AM
Jul 2010
All of you are correct whether you have different ending perception the result will always be the same, which is they will never meet again. But some of us may think of additional event that could happen in our own minds which is very stirring

@zinvince somehow those lines contradicts each other, I know that feeling, if it is in reality, you will partially regret and move on if you didn't actually see someone you must see or didn't make any closure in it, but soon you will accept the fact and try to move on

but all in all, let us just accept the ending, but I would definitely choose #3 hehe
TracmaOct 28, 2010 6:01 AM
Oct 28, 2010 10:17 PM

May 2010
zinvince said:
Thanks for the info a lot of additional explanation was discussed.. especially the letter she was supposed to give to Takaki which was not showed in the movie, but before that I really thought they didn't see each other.. but I wonder about this line

Their eyes meet. His heart and memories stirred just as the train rushed past along the Odakyu Line and cut off their line of sight.

but it contradicts this line

"It would be enough of a miracle if it had really been “her”. -so he partially had this feeling it was her.. but considering it wasn't a 100% sure..

But of course in the 1st place my answer it's impossible for them to see each other again, but the memories will be forever in their hearts.. I just need some clarification back then about whether they seen each other...

But I just hope they will meet once again - a reunion perhaps..

Okay enough of this.. it's making me more depressed haha.. I hope Shinkai will make another movie but in a happy one..

I doubt the next one will be. I forgot where I read it but his next film will be a downer in some way. The only positive film with a happy ending he made(and will probably ever make) was Place Promised in Our Early Days because you know they live happily ever after instead of never seeing each other again. Concerning the summary of the 5 cm novel, its just a summary and it could be a error of some sorts. But basically Shinkai made it out that the two saw each other at the tracks even though the novel doesn't clarify on it that much.
Oct 29, 2010 5:32 AM

Mar 2010
GunDumb90 said:
Concerning the summary of the 5 cm novel, its just a summary and it could be a error of some sorts. But basically Shinkai made it out that the two saw each other at the tracks even though the novel doesn't clarify on it that much.

Well I guess the brilliance of this ending is that Shinkai gets his point across while still allowing the viewer to form his own interpretation. Whatever really happened, we can all agree that Takaki moved on in the end and regardless whether they meet again, we can hope that both Takaki and Akari live happily ever after (even if it is not with each other).
Nov 17, 2010 11:49 PM

Oct 2010
I got the impression that the ending is pretty clear and straight forward. That moment on the train Takaki realize that Akari most likely moved one, and he decides to do the same.
This is not an anime-type-relation, there is no need for a real closure or a hope of meeting the special someone one day. Takaki had a relationship when he was a child, due to the circumstances things didn't work out. The one moment he could have probably done something was at the end of the first chapter, but he decides not to and there is when the relationship pretty much dies. He didn't let go but Akari moved on and that was it.
Also I don't really think they actually saw each other at the track, i think it was more of Takaki remembering that the conversation they had the beginning and just getting some kind of o-rly moment.
huh?
Nov 20, 2010 6:43 PM

Nov 2010
I think that they just go about their lives, never see each other again and reminiscence about their past while living their life. God, do I get sad when I think of this anime D:
Jan 17, 2011 7:58 PM

Aug 2010
Takaki was too slow to act imo. I think he should of at least stayed in touch. They might reestablish friendship at best.
Feb 28, 2011 2:05 AM

Mar 2009
I think they live their own lives but remember each other.
Mar 5, 2011 6:41 PM
Jul 2010
billng said:
Takaki was too slow to act imo. I think he should of at least stayed in touch. They might reestablish friendship at best.
I would really prefer it like that..
Mar 5, 2011 6:43 PM
Jul 2010
Kenjiro said:
I think that they just go about their lives, never see each other again and reminiscence about their past while living their life. God, do I get sad when I think of this anime D:
This is a great anime.. but to watch it again and know you will get depress in the end was really hard to accept. At least let their relationship stay as friends
Mar 26, 2011 4:30 AM

Mar 2011
GunDumb90 said:
If any of you have read an interview by the creator Makoto Shinkai concerning this film, you'll know that he left the ending to 5 CM rather open because he felt that a happy ending would be too cliched and that he wanted us viewers to determine for ourselves what happens to the two after the film.

That's quite funny considering all the anime I've seen, not one ends up with a happy ending in the sense that they kiss each other.

Spoilers about other anime with no kissing scenes:

I think the clichee is the ''it's original if they don't kiss''. I'm getting a bit bored of it, and it doesn't really help that when someone is about to kiss in an anime, it's almost 100% guaranteed to get interrupted somehow (by a phone ringing or whatever). Oh well, I guess I just have to keep looking.

The way I see this film they both ended up moving on. They'll probably meet in the future, but it won't be a romantic reunion.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Jun 19, 2011 12:59 PM
May 2011
Treekodar said:
The way I see this film they both ended up moving on. They'll probably meet in the future, but it won't be a romantic reunion.

^ This.

And as the hopeless romantic that I am, I could imagine that because of this event - meeting with Akari at the crossing - Takaki is reconsidering his feelings for Risa (the unnamed ex-girlfriend in the movie) and they get back together.

I also have a picture of this in my mind, for a post-credits scene in the movie. Something along the line of showing a sad Risa sleeping with her head on the kitchen table, focus on her mobile and suddenly the icon for a new mail shows up. Cut, there doesn't need to be more I think :)

(But thinking about that according to the novel already 3 months have passed between that last mail from her and the event at the crossing, this seems pretty much as impossible as Akari and Takaki meeting again - though this is what I want to believe :D )
Jun 20, 2011 6:56 AM

Apr 2009
What I was actually expecting (and got hopelessly rejected down) was for Takaki and Akari to meet up once again at that cherry blossom tree they first kissed at, to cry a lot, but end up only reconnecting their friendships and not rekindle their love. I mean, towards the end, both of the characters were even heading out towards some random direction right, remembering past memories on the way?

I think it's pretty clear though that they won't be meeting again, or at the very least not ever have the same type of lovey relationship again... The whole scene with the train and the turning back makes it pretty obvious.
Jun 29, 2011 6:51 AM
Jul 2008
Takaki says two things, that he knew they would never be together and seemed to be searching for something. I don't think he really let go of his feelings or go over the seperation and loss.

Akari pobably lived happily ever after.
Takaki likely ended up one of those drunk gamblers down at the bike track always looking for something, the next big win but I hope he turned his life around.
Jun 29, 2011 7:31 AM

Jun 2009
MorisatoK said:
Treekodar said:

^ This.

I'm with these two.

First, I think Tohno meets with his ex-girlfriend again who continues to text him and mend their relationship. Probably, they get married as well.... then a few years later, they meet accidentally (they are in the same city after all as the ending showed it) and talk about the things that happened to them as friends, with no lingering feelings whatsoever.
Jul 1, 2011 7:00 PM

Aug 2010
ITS A LONG READ BUT WORTH IT ;)

i dont know about you guys but i ended up voting for #2

cus, when u think about it would you really rather be with someone you dont love? as you get older you will remember all the special things you have done with her/him. and eventually you will get depressed (hey thats what happened to Tohno) too make it even worse, the girl/guy u like is living a happy life and you on the other hand is living in HELL. oh god i wish that wouldnt happen to me :S

yes you can move on, especially if you get the chance to meet a super hot girl/guy with great personalities but "C'MON WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF GETTING A GIRL/GUY LIKE THAT OR EVEN JUST MEETING A GIRL/GUY LIKE THAT)

so for me, Tohno will end up with Akari but not after what happened at the end of the movie, i kinda change the story for myself i really coundnt take the ending lol.

soo, Tohno will be together with Akira after highschool. after Tohno realized that he shouldve kept in touch with her so he went to Tokyo University together with Akira then the two really grow more closer together and they ended up deciding to be in a relationship and then they will get married at the age of 27.

CHEERS thats my story :D

btw i found a REALLY GREAT SONG FOR THIS ANIME:
its called "Secret Base by ZONE" also featured in Ano Hana ED song

Jul 29, 2011 4:49 AM

Jul 2011
This really stabbed me in the back haha, I totally thought a cliche was coming on and to be honest who doesn't lke this kind of cliche ending? You have to be a sick freak to not want them to be together in the end :P. But realism reigned its victory over the seemingly forever love between the two and broke them apart, i really felt the backstab when i seen Akari was getting married and Tohno Finally let go of the past at the end. If it was me i would probably never forget the past, but i wouldn't drown myself in bad habits other than doing nothing other than working and sleeping. Besides don't you agree that your life isn't worth living if no one is in it?
Aug 30, 2011 10:35 PM
Jul 2011
I thought that the movie was truely beautiful and by far the best anime movie I have ever seen. I watched this movie in english subs because I love the japanese voice. Though the ending was depressing it was expected, I didn't expect a happy ending rather I knew from the beginning it wouldn't work out for them, it was inevitable. I think their relationship was doomed from the time that Akari transferred. On top of that, Tataki transferred later only leaving them to have a greater distance between each other.

I also read something about Shinkai leaving an open ending so us, as the audience, could choose. At first I was wishing that he just let Akari and Tataki have a happy ending, but that would be too cliche.

In the movie it seemed that Akari moved on while Tataki hadn't. In the instance that they passed each other by the train tracks they both turned around, but a train passed in that moment blocking their view. While Tataki had waited Akari had left, giving the proof that she had moved on.

Personally, I like the manga's ending better because, in the end, of course I thought of Tataki and Akari reuniting. But, I beleive that the movie had a more realistic ending.
That awkward moment when you're watching yaoi then all of a sudden someone walks in...
Sep 1, 2011 7:58 AM

May 2011
Ghostt said:
This really stabbed me in the back haha, I totally thought a cliche was coming on and to be honest who doesn't lke this kind of cliche ending? You have to be a sick freak to not want them to be together in the end :P. But realism reigned its victory over the seemingly forever love between the two and broke them apart, i really felt the backstab when i seen Akari was getting married and Tohno Finally let go of the past at the end. If it was me i would probably never forget the past, but i wouldn't drown myself in bad habits other than doing nothing other than working and sleeping. Besides don't you agree that your life isn't worth living if no one is in it?

^ THIS

The ending was absolutely backstabbing but at the same time it was 100% realistic. No exaggerated fairy-tale love forever nonsense (although it would be nice if that was true). 5cm/s goes for realism and that's why it's so unique. Most dramas go for a good happy ending and while most of us like seeing happy endings, they're just so abundant that sometimes it gets boring.

We watch this movie with high expectations, hoping that Akari and Takaki will be finally together and just when the highly anticipated ending comes... we're brutaly stabbed in the back. I'd say it's story writing at its best.
"The feels man, the feels..."
Sep 3, 2011 8:34 AM
Aug 2010
not necessary the ending is kinda expected to end this way although i personally will think they will be together in the end but after both party "lost" their letter, its kinda clear it will end this way
Nov 2, 2011 8:26 AM
Nov 2011
I posted this yesterday in general discussion:

To me it ends up like this:

All 3 characters moved on and got over at the end, (some of them faster than others) but Akari will always be Takaki's true love and Takaki will always be Kanae's true love.

After reading the letter Akari never gave to Takaki (Thanks for posting it) I am really sure Takaki will allways be her true love as well.

I think they were too young still when they met at train station and thats why they could not say to each other their true feelings and thats why they had to wrote it down. Sadly none of the letters were given. But I think it would have ended the same way even if they could deliver their letters.

It was interesting that at the end, even when distances where shorter between Takaki and Akari,(After all those years they ended up living in the same town) they were so far away from each other.

Not only distances, but time and lack of contact kill relationships.

I think they all move on but they will always have a beautiful memory of each other for the rest of their lives (Including Kanae). There are some people you never forget.
JUAKSNov 2, 2011 2:13 PM
Mar 10, 2012 6:56 AM

Jun 2011
Y U NO MAKE HAPPY ENDING :(

But God i was so sad at the end. It just isn't fair >.<
Mar 31, 2012 6:25 PM
Dec 2010
this might happen since they live in the small city the chances they will meet again is very possible. akari and takaki goes to an affair, akari file a divorce if she's married already. is easy to get a divorce here in japan, actually i read lot of case about family law cases that the other party file a divorce because they meet their first love or true love again for me that is a selfish act but i have no right to judge them ,lol that's why i don't like to involve in family law cases if i became lawyer in the furure i rather want to be a corporate lawyer or run a company is more less headache.
orion_momoMar 31, 2012 6:29 PM
Apr 3, 2012 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
They never see each other again. Distance man, distance!
Apr 25, 2012 4:36 PM
Apr 2012
I have to say this is one of my favorite movie that stir my emotions like a storm. I know that they will never see each other ever again after the movie but i would be satisfy that they would get in contact with each other and become childhood friends. Even if they are both married and engage to different people, they will still be best close friends. If that were true and they were able to see each other again, that would be a happy ending. I sincerely wish that they will meet up again and be friends, chat together, and have fun together like the old days. Although if they became lovers again, that will ruin everything to be honest. I vote for # 3 because i would be satisfy knowing that they will both be happy together and having a fun time together even though they aren't engaged, or what not, just their first love who became friends. Now that i am typing this if they never see each other again that wouldn't be all bad because no one had a bad time. Both of them continue their lives and both of them in the end are happy. Wish they stayed in contact though i really really wish they did. Peace
Oct 8, 2012 8:49 AM

Oct 2012
She'll get married, he will continue being alone, they wont meet again :(
Oct 27, 2012 8:03 AM
Manga DB Admin
Aug 2012
Ghostt said:

Exactly my thoughts.^

Great movie. Now i feel depressed, dont watch it on a Saturday morning, my weekend is ruined now. :(
Sep 10, 2014 8:43 AM

Aug 2014
graet, movie, sad ofc
Nov 14, 2014 5:50 AM

Sep 2014
Seriously I would prefer them both getting runned over by the train ending then this one.
Jan 18, 2015 5:19 PM
Jul 2008
choyos said:

Also I don't really think they actually saw each other at the track, i think it was more of Takaki remembering that the conversation they had the beginning and just getting some kind of o-rly moment.

Talk about great minds thinking alike!

You know watching it tonight, an idea struck me and I was left wondered if Akari was actual ever at the crossing.Was it just still another wishful glimpse of her in his mind and the realisation that it was as he turns to leave. Either way it has a massive emotional punch at the end (as if the Kanae sequence wasn't emotional enough).

Man each time I watch 5 cms I get a different view or feeling. Great movie, love it loads. Will we ever get a bluray release or the OST on CD in the UK?
Dec 15, 2015 1:09 PM
Apr 2014
Just finished watching this anime. It's going to gnaw at my brain for the next few days. Epic story with a true reflection of life's complicated story of Love.

Since the ending is left ambiguous, i believe its safe to assume that the interpretation is left to the viewer to decide based on their life story thus far. This anime is for those that have had and felt the experience of being in love as well as the sorrow that comes with it. Only then will one get the true feel of this movie. That said, the ending for me is still a negative one, or leads one to believe that the future between Akari and Tataki ends at the final scene portrayed.
The actual question for me, is whether the love between the two of them is true love and whether or not they are soulmates. Its quite clear these two will never meet in this lifetime again, and it is very possible for soulmates to meet but never complete their lives together. It is also possible that their actual soulmates are those that they see after the final scenes. You can be certain that both characters will inevitably return to their thoughts of one another even if they have moved on. There is chemistry between them as seen at the train station and synchronous narrations to prove that. The ending is depressing, and love is exactly like this. Its always uncertain, even if its right there in front of you.

Some people say the train scene is a dream imagined in Tanakis head. The theory is certainly a possibility. His smile is one of acceptance. Whether its real or not, he accepts that there is no future between them beyond this point. Akari is left omitted from view as the trains pass as intention by the author. This is to display that there won't be a happy ending for this relationship (even though it is possible). The movie wants to show you that love isn't always a happy ending, and that love is pain and smiles all in one. If there was to be a happy ending, there would be scenes of Akari still thinking of Tanaki after the train passes by, or Tanaki will simply run across the tracks to find Akari or scream her name or vice-versa. Instead he turns his back, smiles and walks away from Akar and she presumably does the same.
In my opinion, the 2 definitely meet at the tracks, even if it is fleeting. The reason for this is because they both think about one another prior to these events. And fate will always leave you with an answer one way or another. They both desperately wanted to see the other, they got their wish, but they also got fates answer, and this is why both of them are able to conclude their feelings about where to go in life at this inconspicuous junction!
Apr 30, 2016 11:34 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
The_Deceiver said:
Seriously I would prefer them both getting runned over by the train ending then this one.

Lool for that.
Since I m still feeling depressed about the movie I will go with never see eachother again, but it would be nice if they could see eachother again someday.
Apr 30, 2016 5:50 PM

Dec 2015
I think if he gets back with his ex-girlfriend and then winds up meeting with Akari when she's married they will have an affair and he will give her a trap baby by poking holes in the condom because in the back of his head he's still not over her :D.
May 10, 2016 3:10 PM

Jul 2015
I took it that he just imagined it since when the trains passed, there was no one standing there.

I just imagine they never meet again and he ends up meeting Kanae by chance and hooking up with her, since she is easily best waifu.
Jun 18, 2016 1:32 AM

Apr 2016
What if takaki finally confessed to her later?She wasn't married yet and even for little she couldn't forget takaki.
You never know what happen after the ending,it's widely open.

The train sequence was different for manga n anime a bit.
Jun 20, 2016 2:19 PM
May 2016
RoyTF said:
What if takaki finally confessed to her later?She wasn't married yet and even for little she couldn't forget takaki.
You never know what happen after the ending,it's widely open.

The train sequence was different for manga n anime a bit.

What happened in the mange ?
Jun 20, 2016 4:00 PM

Apr 2016
@Callouscleric
In the anime ending you can clearly see it was only takaki at one end of the track and but in manga akari did recognized him and said that he'll be fine from now on and when takaki finally understand that she had moved on with her life leaving behind the past,he smiled and walk away which somewhat implied he decided to move on from that point as well.
And if you think akari cheated with takaki ;3 then you're wrong,she clearly waited for years for him but acting like a coward he didn't comeback so finally akari decided to move on but takaki acted like a big fag till the end.

And in the last chapter takae went to tokyo in search of takaki and in the end she was finally able to meet him,although we didn't saw the face of takaki but this is what suppose to be.
Another inconclusive ending even in manga.

Check the manga please for depth details :3
And author didn't gave a conclusive ending so it's upto you what you think happen after that.
(sorry for the grammar.4.50 am here good night)
Aug 19, 2016 6:27 PM

Apr 2016
I voted for "They never see each other again." Akari and Tataki stopped writing letters to each other in middle school probably, so they don't even have each other's phone numbers. (When Kanae saw Tataki text, they were messages he wanted to say to Akari...) The two lived in different parts of Japan. Considering that it took Tataki 7 hours and 20 minutes to see Akari, I doubt the two would ever have the dedication and time to go through that again, just to see each other... Akari is also married after the film ended, so she has a future to look forward to. The two haven't made an effort to see or contact each other in years, so why would they now?

In an ideal world, these two would 'coincidentally' meet each other one day, mirroring an event from their childhood, but that's not realistic at all considering how far they are from each other and how different their lives are... It would be ideal if Tataki met Akari again and saw how she's moved forward, to learn that he needs to move forward as well. I do hope that someday, Tataki learns to look around him instead of always looking beyond...
Mar 29, 2019 6:35 PM
Dec 2018
I thought maybe they would meet again after that. Especially now they are in the same place, Tokyo. And maybe they will be together someday.

My reason is the end of the story. I am confused. Why tell if, akari happy ending and marry someone else. while takaki like not getting anything instead loses everything and just continues his life?

If Shinkai wants to, why isn't it told in the anime / manga if Akari is married to another man and Takaki is married to another woman. Even though it's sad ending but it's also a happy ending. And everything is clear.

But the end of the story in anime / manga is equally unclear and hanging. it is unknown how the fate of takaki next, only known that he continued his life. with whom he finally married? Isn't Takaki the main character?

So in my opinion, maybe after the movie there is still a possibility that later, takaki might somehow come back to meet Akari ( although it's not easy because she's married ). Maybe build a relationship and be able to get married with Akari. moreover it is unknown takaki married who in the story.
motorcomcomMar 30, 2019 8:02 PM
Dec 4, 2019 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty much what has been said on this thread.. I think they 'moved on' with time and their circumstances and eventual natural change of hearts, but remember each other and their connection like we remember our long lost childhood friends.. Maybe they don't want to be together but still hold special place in each other's hearts.
Apr 3, 2020 10:45 PM
Apr 2020
how i interpreted the last scene is as follows. be patient with me. after their last meet at iwafune, they both knew that they would probably never see each other again. because already the distance between them was so much and takaki was about to move even farther away from akari now. hence akari's last words to takaki was " i am sure you will be okay from now on, i am sure of it " meaning she understood the situation well and wished for him to be happy moving forward in life. they never exchanged letters after that because towards the end we can see the letter she was supposed to give to takaki was still with her. and takaki had lost his letter. letters took days even weeks to reach and sometimes they even got lost. with the distance between them, letters would not have been enough to close the gap.

then they spend almost 10-12 years away from each other, without any knowledge of each other's whereabout and no contact at all. they both longed for each other but the emotions and feelings were slowly starting to fade away. they knew they were never gonna see each other again so they both try to move on in their own ways. while akari finds someone she is happy with, takaki fails every relationship he gets in which makes him depressed. you can't blame either of them because there was no way that they could ever meet again.

now the train scene, up until that point takaki had learned to forgive himself and he was trying to move on. akari was trying to do the same. and then as fate would have it, they cross each other in the train tracks. they both turn around to look but the trains pass by and block their vision. but why did akari leave ? why did she not wait for her childhood friend/lover. because she had a new life now, she had responsibilities of her own now. her husband was not just another character we can ignore. they had to go through so much to finally get engaged and decide to start a life together. she couldn't just abandon all that to run away with takaki again. she simply couldn't. so she left as a means of telling takaki that she moved on, that he need not worry about her anymore, that she has gone home ( unlike the time when they met , she waited but not now ).

takaki was still waiting for the trains to pass because even though he was moving on, he still had that little ounce of hope left, that maybe, just maybe they can be together again. but when he saw that akari was not there on the other side, he got her message loud and clear. you see, love is not almighty. love alone cannot fill the gap between them that distance and time created. love alone could not overcome all that. so he smiled, knowing she was happy now, that he did not need to worry about her anymore and move on with his life just like akari did.

the best part about this is that, in their last meet, akari's final wish to takaki was " i wish i could see the cherry blossoms together with you one more time " and takaki's last wish to akari was " i wish i could see you again, and if i do i don't want to be embarassed about who i become ". and in the end, at the tracks both of their wishes come true which helps them find closure at last.

a beautiful movie 💔
Apr 17, 2020 2:50 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Fuck, this movies had a realistic love story attempt rather giving me some generic romance shit. Not because i dont like the happy ending, tho. But, with how the story telling in this show really prove to me how real life situations can happen like that, even get worst, especially this is A LDR sitautions. The difficulty about holding the relationship become so hard,obvs.Even from the kids, the feeling must be faded as the time clocking fast forward. Thats was the truth. And sensei giving me this show for nostalgia reason, really make my heart touched. Then, after seeing the comment above, when Sensei laughed in his interviews, i smirked. You right, sir, you are always right!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 26, 2020 8:24 PM
Dec 2018
I think this is a stupid story from 2 human who love each others but no one struggle to meet or find any way to communication. And end up with one get married after tired of waiting, and the other one suicide after know someone his loved get married with another guys lol hahaha
Jul 29, 2020 10:15 AM

Dec 2015
theyre dead bruv.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.