MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

[OPEN] Tutorials, Questions and Graphic Tips
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Club Discussion »» [CLOSED] Member Cards Love ♥ »» [OPEN] Tutorials, Questions and Graphic Tips

Must be a Club Member to Reply
10-18-10, 9:14 AM

since we're a graphic club, why do not share some of our skills with other people?
here you can post any graphic questions you want, or request a graphic tutorials. the questions can be like: 'how did you make that cards effect' or 'what font did you use for that card' and so on~
be sure to tell in what program the tutorials were made.

if you need photoshop, I can give you my private copy of photoshop 8.0 CS, just write to me a PM.

10-18-10, 9:16 AM

reserved post.

05-08-11, 5:35 AM

mc's tutorial - 'bright' effect

at first, choose the picture. tutorial is made with this picture. blue pictures are the best in my opinion.
and, remember: I use Photoshop CS, so it will work on other versions of this program. I don't know what about another programs. you can try :D

second step
well, this pic is uite big, so crop it. you should make something like this.

third step
to make better quality of your work use sharpen and unsharp mask. you decide about amount, I chose 140%.

fourth step
if you are satisfacted with your current picture, then this part is not necessary.
well, this part uses image menu. to make picture brighter use brightness/contrast. then play with brightness and contrast.

and this is the end :D
you should have made something like this.

have fun~
Modified by yuucchi, 05-12-11, 10:42 AM

05-10-11, 6:00 PM

what kind of font and bgs of the text do you use? I'm using a really simple version of photoshop online that's not really any help. >.<

05-11-11, 8:26 AM

I would also like to know which curly fonts people use. There are some ones that I've really liked and running searches hasn't brought up what I want. So my question is:

What are the names of the cursive fonts you usually use on your cards and where do I find them to download?

05-11-11, 8:34 AM

@Atika
you can always try to download a full version of photoshop. I don't have an idea how the 'online' version is working or how to use the fonts and backgrounds in it...

@KittenCorner
do you have any example cards with fonts that you like? maybe someone will recognize them when you post the cards here.

05-12-11, 10:34 AM

@KittenCorner
you can download any curly fonts that you like in dafont.com.

05-29-11, 5:17 AM

tutorial - this white thing on my cards

tutorial is made with this picture.
of course, I made it size 300 x 200 px.
remember, underlined things are very important in you work!
and one more thing: I use PHOTOSHOP CS.

step 1
make new file.
1500 x 1500 px is the best size.

step 2
make 20% pic enlargement and change it from 'background' to 'layer 0'.
to make 'layer 0' click twice on 'background' layer and click 'ok'.

step 3
make huge circle.
very huge...

step 4
make selection and click 'ok'.

step 5
change layer from 'shape 1' to 'layer 0' and click 'delete'.
also, please delete 'shape 1' layer.

step 6
change your picture width to 300 px.
don't worry obout height.

step 7
copy 'layer 0' to your 300 x 200 px picture.

step 8
change 'layer 1' opacity.

result.

that's all.
have fun!
Modified by yuucchi, 05-30-11, 4:48 AM

05-29-11, 5:23 AM

mc said:
tutorial - this white thing on my cards

thank you for this ♥

05-29-11, 6:56 AM

thank you for this, too ^^
thanks for making them :D

05-29-11, 7:05 AM

i don't understand a little :'/

05-29-11, 8:03 AM

I tried to make it in photoshop cs5 and it worked well, it just need some slightly tool changes when making.

05-29-11, 10:33 AM

Thanks for sharing mc
It will be useful to me ^^

05-30-11, 3:55 AM

:(((((((
it didn't work in photoshop cs5 :(
this is the only part that I don't understand:
the Step 5 up to Step 8
can someone say it to me clearly :'c

05-30-11, 4:09 AM

step 5 - just click on the 'layer 0' and then click 'delete' on your keyboard, or ctrl + x.
next right-mouse click on 'shape 1' and choose 'delete layer'

step 6 - go to image > image size and change the dimensions as you see on the mc's picture.

step 7 - ctrl + a AND ctrl + c > then go to your card picture and paste what you copied earlier (ctrl + v).

step 8 - it's clearly visible on the mc's image.

05-30-11, 4:39 AM

thanks ^^
thank you so much both of you :D,
but it has so much steps :P
anyway it's ok :D

08-01-11, 3:01 PM

ladyAre's double border on rounded-corner cards tutorial
requested by sh

program used: Photoshop CS

(you probably already know how to make a rounded corners and simple stroke, but I'll explain it from a start so it will be clearer to everyone)

1. pick an image, resize it and make the rounded corners on it.

how I am making the rounded corners
(there's probably an easier way, but I like it like that)
a) crop/resize the image. now select the "rounded rectangle tool"

b) set the radius the way you want, the more pixels you set the bigger the corners will be.

c) now patiently draw the rectangle on your image. you can zoom it so it will be easier to draw.

d) when you will finish, you'll see the rounded corners. now change the tool to "pen tool", right-click on the image and select "make selection".
after that, copy the selection as it is said in step 2 of the tutorial.

I made the card random size 350 x 210 px, and the radius of corners 25 px.

2. COPY the already rounded image, and make a new empty canvas (file > new)
when the window pop-ups, change the width and height by adding a 10 pixels to each, for example my card image is 350 px wide and 210 px high, so I'm changing it to 360 and 220. also, check the transparent background.

3. paste the copied image, it will be nicely sitting at the center of the canvas. it should be called "layer 1".
now click on the "layer" tab at the top, and choose layer style > stroke.

leave the size 3 (it can be 2, 4 or more but I think 3 looks the best on cards), change the position to "inside" and color to white.

4. now make a new layer above the image (layer > new > new layer or by clicking on icon on "layers" window. it should be called "layer 2".
click on the "layer 1", then click on "magic wand tool" and then click somewhere on the empty space near the card image.

next, you must right-click the mouse and pick "select inverse".
after that, click on "layer 2", and change tool to "rectangular marquee tool". don't delete the dashed selection lines!

now pick any color you like for the second border. I'm almost always choosing a delicate grey.
right-click on the selection and choose "stroke..." - the pop-up will appear, change the width to 1 px and location to "inside" or "outside", as you wish.
you must also uncheck "preserve..." that's at the bottom of the pop-up. also it should say mode: normal and opacity: 100%
and it should be ready ♥

result:

there's so much steps, but when I'm making them it all takes a few seconds only, and it's really simple.
now decorate your card, but remember to delete the not needed parts of textures, patterns or anything that goes on a empty place around the card image.
Modified by isibeal, 08-05-11, 2:09 AM

08-04-11, 8:42 PM

oh no, I can't make the last step::
ladyAre said:
now pick any color you like for the second border. I'm almost always choosing a delicate grey.
right-click on the selection and choose "stroke..." - the pop-up will appear, change the width to 1 px and location to "inside" or "outside", as you wish.
and it should be ready ♥

result:

]

08-05-11, 2:09 AM

@KRisock
when you're making this:
right-click on the selection and choose "stroke..." - the pop-up will appear, change the width to 1 px and location to "inside" or "outside"

you must uncheck "preserve..." that's at the bottom of the pop-up. also it should say mode: normal and opacity: 100%
I forgot to wrote about it, because I forgot what was the default settings in photoshop, as mine are 100% custom now.

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices