MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Anime or manga where the main character has a special power that no one else knows about?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Anime or manga where the main character has a special power that no one else knows about?

10-16-10, 8:40 AM

Yup something like that :). By power i mean any kind of power that normal human doesn't have (for example seeing spirits or something else different.., but vampire stuff is too common already, but it depends on the storyline :O)
It would be good if it has a good (not stupid) story (maybe something that character really suffers because of the power or something), :D And i don't like old animes , the newer are better. Manga doesn't matter. Mecha and shounen-ai is no-thank-you.

And it would be good if the character goes to school. And it would be good if the character is male with black hair, but it doesn't have to be :D (just my ideals lol) XD

So what comes into your mind ?:D (btw don't reccomend something that i have seen already :)
Modified by Lylaaz, 10-19-10, 6:48 AM

!Thought... Idea…Vision…Action!

10-16-10, 8:58 AM

One that popped into my mind straight away was XXXholic. I only follow the manga (Because I saw that the anime misses out a lot and is a lot shorter) it ties into Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles too, which I think is a nice touch.
Basically: he's a guy who can see spirits, so goes to a special "store" where wishes are granted, he starts working for the store owner and it goes from there.
The main character goes to school, and also has black hair: tada!
I see that you've seen the anime, but the manga is well worth a look too (because of what happens)

Lets see.. there's also D.N Angel which is set in a school, dark haired protagonist who's got great reflexes and junk, and also has a split personality of sorts. I've not read the manga yet but the anime was pretty good.

Nabari no ou: dark hair, school, he's got a powerful hijitsu stored inside of him and eventually suffers because of it, modern day ninjas and it's just pretty good. Nice cast and intertwining stories.

Baccano is a good one too, pulp fiction styled story, and a bunch of them are immortal.

[And zetsubou sensei extra seasons >> he has the power of negativity :'D]
Modified by WhichOneIsKirk, 10-16-10, 9:19 AM

10-16-10, 2:00 PM

In order of character suffering(not what you're looking for specifically, I know).
All are in school but they aren't all about school life. Also, obviously, not all black-haired males.:

Saikano
Naru Taru
Tsukihime
Parasyte
Blood+- only about 7 episodes total where protagonist is in a school
Mai-HiME
Phantom- only about 3 episodes at the end where the protagonist is in a school
Vampire Princess Miyu
Hekikai no AiON
Midori no Hibi

10-16-10, 2:34 PM

Gakuen Alice may be worth a shot. I would highly recommend reading the manga over the anime.

Synopsis
Best friends Mikan and Hotaru grew up in a small town in the remote countryside. When Hotaru moves to a school for geniuses in Tokyo, Mikan misses Hotaru so badly that she decides to travel to Tokyo herself to find Hotaru. She finds Hotaru in a school called "Alice Academy," and finds that the school is actually for people with special powers called "Alices." Narumi-sensei, a teacher at the school, discovers that Mikan also happens to have an Alice, and Mikan is admitted into the academy. At first, she becomes enemies with a boy named Natsume with a fire alice but later Mikan made friends with him (Natsume). She also befriends his best friend, Luca. There she finds friends, love, and a life that she will never forget. However, during that time, Mikan (along with her friends) find out that the academy is really built on birth secrets and lies.

It sounds extremely childish and all but I promise you, later on it gets much darker in the manga. While pretty childish in the anime, it is a decent watch if you don't mind that.

Not to mention that the male lead is easily the best part of the entire series. Natsume stays in the background for the first little bit but becomes the second main character pretty quick.

Natsume in the beginning of the manga...

Natsume later when he grows up (They have a chapter where they get older, but it's also supposed to be forshadowing to how they will look in the end)

Natsume definitely fits the mould of what you wanted in a male lead. He suffers very badly from his power, he has black hair (with red eyes, which is freaking awesome) and they all go to a school for people with abilities.

Really though, it seems very silly at first but it becomes a very dark series past around chapter 50, so if you think it seems cool, at least try to get to that point.

10-16-10, 3:40 PM

Kipcha said:
Gakuen Alice may be worth a shot. I would highly recommend reading the manga over the anime.
I read a bit of that back before Mangafox died, when they had it on their frontpage. It is darker and more complex than it looks, but I don't know if it qualifies as what the OP wants: everyone knows about the Alices since they all have them. Granted, Mikan's power is not standard and is not fully understood for the first several volumes, but everyone in the school knows about it.

10-16-10, 3:42 PM

DrHouse said:
Kipcha said:
I read a bit of that back before Mangafox died, when they had it on their frontpage. It is darker and more complex than it looks, but I don't know if it qualifies as what the OP wants: everyone knows about the Alices since they all have them. Granted, Mikan's power is not standard and is not fully understood for the first several volumes, but everyone in the school knows about it.

Yeah, I guess. Well, at least it fits the bill everywhere else.

10-18-10, 11:09 AM

BakaKawaii> thanks :D but the only one that i haven't seen is baccano :) XXXholic is good but i think i'll go with something that i haven't seen before, but thanks anyway :)
DrHouse> thank ya for the links :P i know some of them, but i haven't seen them so maybe i should :D hehe.
Kipcha> arigato. i think i start reading it know, at least few chapters to see if it's good. :)

[ i'll still accept more recommendations so if you know something good then i'd like to know ]

10-18-10, 8:25 PM

nyan koi? he can talk to cats.

Myanimelist is just a crappy game.

10-18-10, 9:33 PM

Natsume Yuujinchou. A high-school boy who can see spirits (youkai), and no one knows about his ability, with the result that he suffers from it (to the point where he is continuously bounced around relative's homes). The series has an episodic nature, but it's beautiful in terms of its story, art and OST. The stories can be happy, sad, melancholic and bittersweet - Natsume Yuujinchou certainly made me feel an entire range of emotions throughout its two seasons. It's one of the few shows I always reccommend.

10-19-10, 6:46 AM

I have seen them :D

10-19-10, 7:28 AM

Ah I didn't see your on hold list.
Karin has a vampire storyline, more comedic but she still suffers from it.
Shaman king has a black haired kid who can see spirits and junk too, I recommend the manga over the anime though.
Shin angyo onshi has a black haired man who has a power and suffers, but not due to the power, one of my favourites.

06-11-14, 1:39 PM

Kyo Kara Maoh

It's about a junior high boy who is suddenly pushed into a toilet and ends up in this place called the demon world where everyone is calling him the demon king. He has awesome powers where he turns into this powerful chivalrous guy when he goes "demon king" AND he has black hair and eyes, which everyone talks about in the story because they're a sign of royalty...

He doesn't go to school a lot, but he's always wearing his school uniform around for some reason. Hope you like it :)

06-11-14, 1:42 PM

Anohana...Jinta can see dead people and no one believes him xD

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices