Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 18, 2014 1:11 PM

Sep 2013
Well, finally that is over and I can move to the real treat, Zeta Gundam, as I've been hearing great stuff about it. Still, this wasn't bad, and while it is very aged and characters acted dumb at times, I have to admit it was a very enjoyable experience.

6/10 8/10

Ok I actually upped it from 6 to 8, this show has a long lasting nostalgic effect ;_;
cupcMar 15, 2014 5:09 AM
Mar 10, 2014 10:42 PM

Aug 2010
The headshot by Char was awesome. I prefer Char without his mask. Overall a pretty good final episode. Now it's time for Zeta.

Overall 7.5/10
Mar 14, 2014 8:12 PM

Mar 2013
The zero-gravity rapier fight was amazing as well, I certainly didn't expect that. A nice touch. Then there was the intense headshot. I can't believe they pulled that out in a 1979 anime. Char just fucking blows her head off with a bazooka. I love this guy.

The ending for the White Base crew was awesome and very emotional but having already watched Zeta, I must say that the storytelling at the end was kinda poor. It'd have been better for them to explain more about how peace finally happens for the Zeon and Federation.
TyrelJul 26, 2015 4:54 PM
Mar 23, 2014 7:44 PM

Sep 2011
they ended it on the best episode of the series, this was a great final episode and ending from char and amuro's final encounter, to char getting THE MOST BADASS REVENGE KILL EVER, to the touching final moment of amuro returning to his comrades after a long battle. phenomenal episode

as for the whole show, its got its issues for sure, some bad pacing, some really bad filler and dialogue near the start, and feels dated at times in more way than just the art, however its a great portrayal of how in war both sides still have humans with families, loved ones, dreams, ambitions, and feelings and that regardless of which side they fight on that doesnt make them good or bad. it had a interesting albeit slow story but it had a load of pay off in the end, and for the 70's it has some damn awesome fights and epic moments(case and point this entire episode). i give it a 8/10

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 29, 2014 1:26 PM
Jan 2013
And so it ends, the first of many gundams. In this episode, Char's blowing Kycilia's head was awesome, finally takes revenge on the Zabi family. Didnt like the whole now everyone sudenly might be a newtype and the whole psychic thing, mainly because I prefered the way they portrayed the WB crew at first, as an inexperienced crew that would develop step by step to become great.

I thought the series was rushed in the second half, I now know that it was because it was canceled so I guess they did their best. Really enjoyed the realism the series portrayed at first with Amuro and the WB crew, being mostly civilians and having to fight in this war, speacially with Amuro being 16, and him having this huge responsibility fall on his lap. Some good deaths, others not so much. Char was a good character and i hope to see more of his back story in the future. As a series alone I would give it a 6/10 but since I'm mostly watching it to get some backstory and move on to the other gundams, I'd say 7/10.
Jun 23, 2014 2:50 AM

Jul 2009
Wow just wow!!!

Despite being rushed by stupid Bandai, definitely an amazing way to end the series!!

So many things to say!!!

First off it was amazing that they played Char's theme at the beginning of the episode :)

White base got's trap inside the base while the others fend it off.

The fight between Char and Amuro!!!! I'm amaze at things like Amuro programmed the Gundam to automatically attack above while he waits to see if Char would survive, but Char does the same thing as well!!

I think when Amuro and Char's head bump to each other, Amuro may have given some of Lalah's powers to Char.

I always keep forgetting how handsome Char is :)

He even looks like Sayla when he puts the helmet on!

Damn Char just massacared Kycilia and her team. One thing that bothered me is why didn't Kycilia tried to evade it!?!

Still when her corpse went flying that was just sick as hell!! And i love it!!

Amuro saves the crew via Newtype telepathy!!! If he didn't do that the others would have died.

The way Amuro escaped the exploded fortress, reminds me of

Amazing as hell!! There's alot of things they could fix!

Like should have spent on building relationship on each characters instead of one character falling in love out of nowhere just because Mirai was "Bright Slapped"

A backstory of Sayla and Char's family and their purpose would be nice, but that's what Origin is for ^^

I do agree that the Zabi family felt pretty underwhelming. For a family that ruled the Zeon Federation, they surely got owned pretty quickly.

So does that mean Sayla and Amuro will live on from now?? I wonder if others will continue on fighting?

I'm sure Char is alive as well, they didn't showed his death since the series might have a sequel which it did :)

It's finally over!! Now i know how much things Gundam Seed too from this show. The beginning and the end are identical to one another!!

There's also things Gundam Wing took and Gundam 00 as well!!!

Btw you guys need to watch the PS2 FMV scenes which recreated some of the scenes from the series including the ending!

It was released by EG last march and it's on Blu ray quality HD!!!

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=531318

The animation they used is the same one they used for Gundam Wing!!

I'm surprise as hell they didn't remade the show around the 90s!!

It has the same voice actors, but they kinda sound different(either they're much mature and the sound quality is top notch)

Either way don't forget to watch those as well!!

Such an amazing show!! I'm not surprise why it became influential for the whole genre!! Definitely ahead of its time!!!

I can't wait for Zeta Gundam!!! The reason i started watching this is because Gundam Unicorn is finally over.

So now i can watch it in BD and complete without waiting! I should have started early this year though, but i went with Gundam Wing instead.

I'd give this series a 9/10. Amazing simply amazing!!

Amuro!!!
Jul 10, 2014 6:39 PM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed it despite the flaws of being dated, cheesy at times, and rife with stock footage which are all understandable given its age. The middle got a bit tedious at times and yet the show felt way too ambitious at times as some things went unexplained (NewType) or felt really rushed (the supposed impact of some of the deaths). Nevertheless, Char was a fun and intriguing character and the battles had surprisingly good and varied choreography.

I'd say 7.5, almost an 8 but not quite. Onto Zeta next I suppose.
Aug 14, 2014 6:51 PM

Apr 2013
What an epic ending. I have nothing else to say :D
Sep 1, 2014 5:40 PM

Jul 2014
Solid finale. I'm left entirely satisfied.
Dec 20, 2014 3:03 PM

Mar 2014
Pretty good ending. Didn't blow me away, but I did like some things about it.
The soundtrack was good, and that headshot was cool.
I actually wasn't sure if they were going to kill of Amuro or not, but i'm glad they didn't.

Anyway, I feel like I've had enough Gundam for a while. I think I'll hold off on it before continuing with the franchise.
::End of Transmission::

Dec 31, 2014 12:08 PM

Jul 2010
That was a pretty nice finale. I never thought I would see Gundam and White Base in such a state!

Discovering more Newtype powers and the confrontation between Char and Amuro. From their mobile suits to shooting with guns and then a sword fight. Char headshot the last of the Zabi.

For something over 30 years old, it was quite the enjoyable ride. Though, I did find myself not so affected by the drama it gives off such as the death of Ryu, Lalah, Matilda and just about everyone else. Also including all of Amuro's struggles were not so impacting. The OP started building on me and just the series gotten better despite I finding myself keep on yawning as I was tired when I started this and it wasn't exactly the greatest start. The style and everything else built on me too and I found myself slowly and slowly liking this series more and more.

The show that began it all, the age of Newtypes is also pretty interesting for it to get explained. Enjoyed myself well enough and quite the satisfying finale too with Amuro reuniting with everyone.
Feb 15, 2015 7:37 PM

Feb 2013
It's finally over. I mostly forced myself to watch it to see what made it into the Seed reboot (pink explosions obviously).

I really don't get why people like Char. His reboot versions were much better.
Mar 9, 2015 1:48 PM
May 2012
The finale was absolutely amazing. I have not seen much like it in my life > u <

Alright, short list of absolutely awesome things: Amuro getting out of the Gundam to make it remotely walk and shoot while simultaneously flanking Char was incredible - The gunfight between the two was mindblowing... and suddenly they are fucking swordfighting!?

...So yeah, this episode was holy crap. I found myself cheering waaay too loud when Char shot the last Zebi in the head - that was incredibly and exactly what I was hoping for! :D

Lastly, I guess I should note that this really made me want to watch another Gundam series now... But I should probably wait a bit first. Really want to see more of my favorite characters, though! Kai and Mirai never stopped to amaze me, and I really hope I'll be able to see Letz, Katz and Kikka grow up.

They handled Newtypes well, eventhough they were introduced much too late in the show.

Now to end this wall of text - anyone who happens to come here after me - thank you for reading my posts :p i hope you enjoyed them, like how I enjoyed reading BurntJelly's posts above me, as well as all the others~

May 26, 2015 12:28 AM

Mar 2012
Being an immensely big Seed fan, I'm more or less surprised at how long it took for me to get around to watching the first Gundam series, and truthfully I loved the shit out of this one. Yeah of course it was a bit rushed but I think it came together pretty good. I think Char might be my next most favorite Gundam character, that headshot was quite frankly the most badass thing thus far in any Gundam show I've seen. A couple things here and there i didn't understand really well, but that's whats awesome about a show with rewatch value, I personally don't see what was difficult about watching this show animation wise, its 1979, and truthfully, I've seen far worse animated cartoons from the 70s than this.

A very solid 8/10 for me

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 5, 2015 6:31 AM

Mar 2013
Amazing finale nothing to add
Now Zeta
Jul 26, 2015 5:24 PM

Nov 2011
That was a pretty good finale. It didn't disappoint.

I do wish we could've gotten a little more hinting toward what Char's true goal was, why he was so intent on defeating Amuro, and what caused his change of heart. His killing of Kycilia was surprisingly gory.

It was sad to see the Gundam and White Base destroyed. I thought that allowing Amuro's newtype abilities to push even further in the last moments to warn everyone was a nice touch; I was wondering if he would end up dying. I'm more or less certain that Char survived since one of the sequels has his name in it.

Was it just me, or was that last scene with the whole White Base crew framed to make you wonder if he went to Fraw or Sayla? Maybe I'm overthinking it...

The detached end narration was fitting.

Overall the series was definitely rough around the edges, but I think it was a rough gem. Some of the character development and character drama was spotty. Even so, the portrayal of both sides of the war was good, and the growth of the White Base's crew from mere civilians to seasoned soldiers was fun to watch. The slaps were hilarious. I can definitely see how this spawned a franchise.

I'll probably move on to Zeta next, but I might take a small break first.
Nov 2, 2015 12:16 PM

Jul 2015
Awesome last episode, now it"s time to watch zeta, i have high hope since i heard it is even better !
Nov 8, 2015 1:28 PM

Nov 2012
Seeing White Base/Gundam going down and Amuro reunion with the White Base crew at the end was pretty emotional.

As for the series it was enjoyable despite it's flaws,cheesy moments and overuse of certain stock footage (such as the Gundam's transformation/docking).

Also became somewhat tedious/hard to watch somewhere around the middle of the series but overall would give this a 7.5/10.

Onto Zeta which I was looking forward to more than this.
Dec 19, 2015 10:00 PM
Dec 2014
RIP White Base. You fought with distinction and died honourably in battle. You served your crew well until the last second.
Jan 10, 2016 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
Roloko said:
-animation wasn't really that good
- every episode except maybe a couple almost put me to sleep
- Lots of derps and reused animation can't count how many times the enemy vessel was shot down from the same angle and exploded the same way.

4/10 I do give it props for giving birth to my personal favorite series like 00, SEED, Zeta, Victory, and AGE. ^_^

and this, is what you can clearly call, a pleb's comment
Jan 16, 2016 7:25 PM
Nov 2015
Great ending to a great series! I'm satisfied. My favorite episode was 41 but I liked seeing Amuro using his Newtype powers to save people and heal at the end, I thought that was a really nice touch.
May 28, 2016 3:43 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah that was an epic end, good bye Gundam and WhiteBase.

Char though was all about killing Amuro then all of the sudden went back to killing the Zabi's. That was a quick turnaround.

That headshot was epic though.
Jun 21, 2016 4:17 AM

Oct 2014
So they didn't all die??? what the hell?! JK... The ending was good. I liked this show quite a bit and for the time its clearly amazing. No wonder it had the influence it did! On to 8th Team and Zeta! :)
Jun 24, 2016 4:00 AM

Nov 2011
Really exciting, from all points of view, in the swirl of events narrated, there is also time to close some loose ends. The finish is a gem, truly mythical in images and dialogues. I'm glad I saw in many years this anime series, it still manages to be good, despite the many years that he carries on his shoulders and having a thickness that does not have many series today. However you have to frame this anime series, such as a slice of life that has a beginning and an end, that's why there are all the answers to questions that arise in his vision. But at a distance of a long time, other Gundam series, have or are filling that void in part, I can not wait to continue the line of Gundam UC and see of course, also, Origin.

8.5/10
Jul 24, 2016 7:50 PM

May 2012
Very lovely ending I must say for the actual start of this franchise! At first I was really holding back to actually start this franchise but as usual Mecha anime and especially older ones tend to just be epic AF!

So I'm definitely looking forward to see what the rest of the franchise has to offer but all in all this first season was just great!
Aug 22, 2016 10:05 AM

Sep 2013
Liked the ending and the series as a whole, despite being very dated. Was still worth the time.
Oct 2, 2016 8:51 AM

Jul 2012
Great series with great ending. At first I did not feel watching such an old series but I don't regret it at all. It is very watchable on 720p quality. Char's headshot was really well done. I am ready for Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.

8/10
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Oct 2, 2016 9:18 PM

Dec 2015
bjorno said:
I am ready for Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.

If only...
No one will ever be ready for Zeta Gundam.
Oct 14, 2016 2:36 PM

Jun 2013
Teriffic and rather beautiful ending to a great show! Definitely was not without its flaws, but it was a very fun ride throughout!
Cant wait to get started on Zeta!
9/10
Nov 7, 2016 5:56 PM
Mar 2016
Although I had already watched the movie trilogy over a year ago, I wasn't too impressed by it.
I already knew about where things were headed towards, but I feel like everything had a much larger emotional impact upon me when I actually watched all 43 episodes of this great TV series, instead of, y'know, a compilation film series.
That ending was beautiful. I actually cried tears of joy when Amuro landed on the escape capsule, being greeted by all of the (surviving) White Base crew members.
I've already watched all of UC Gundam up until Char's Counterattack, and so far, I think that this is the best Gundam anime of all time.
Zeta Gundam might have a much more complex plot, but Gundam 0079 is much more emotionally touching than Zeta.
Nov 8, 2016 11:21 AM

Dec 2015
@AlanStratmann Zeta might look complex plotwise but it is mainly because most of it is hidden by the characters drama on screen. (the war story should have look more interesting than in 0079 but it was the opposite since war/politics was more often forgotten)

About the impact, do you mean the characters death and/or things like Amuro's crisis? (those events are indeed too discret and short in the movies). Though the third movie didn't leave me this fast-forward impression.

And what did you think of Char's Counterattack's finale?

PS : I loved this final scene too.

@mshea1213 Not sure how it happens in the TV show anymore, but in the movie and in the manga, the sword duel comes naturally because of the chase inside A Baoa Qu. (Amuro can't really follow Char in the "appartments" zone with the RX78 xD)
(Also, the movie finale was really great, fully reanimated)

If you're interested by Zeta, the official sub is (legally) free on gundamInfo (YouTube). I hope you won't be too disappointed by the high amount of soap-opera and lesser of war/politics.
Rei_IIIAug 5, 2017 11:15 AM
Dec 8, 2016 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
NOTHING FEELS AS GOOD AS THIS!

That line wasn't in the show but in the after credits in one of the "releases" I watched. It's what Amuro says when he meets his friends after escaping the destruction of the enemy's base. Great show with a nice tie up thematically in the in the end. Wish there was more character interaction development but then again this show was rushed (since it was originally planned to be 50+, this show is actually shorter than many gundam big series).

The final battle had lots of suspense, if you haven't watched the series before, there was the sense that Amuro and Sayla could end up dead.

One of the few series where there aren't really good guys or bad guys on either side of the conflict, except some at the top. But even then, their motivations aren't comical or unrealistic. It's good that it doesn't go into a lot as to why the war happens or its justification, because it's a show mostly about surviving the cards life deals to you. It does a good job to show how war can push human potential ( the white base crew shown to adapt and survive for one and grow not just in military skill but psychologically/emotionally, having to waver between duty and emotion).

Take Amuro for example, he never really did want to fight nor was he particularly against it in the first few episodes. But then the events took a toll on him which lets to many stumbles and his eventual desertion. But he came back to the crew because duty for a man is tied to honor, and that goes above many things. And it is innate to man. A good war show will always talk about honor and show it to be this almost divine like power that drives men to glory or their ultimate downfall. For Amuro, it was the former but for others in the show, the latter.

However in the end, it wasn't just honor but also love for people close to him. He learned that when he met Lalla: in a sea of chaos, having something or someone(people) to return to is like an anchor that keeps you more meaning. Further, it seems that his encounter with Lalla helped Amuro to become more "enlightened" as he realized to escape from suffering is to see yourself as more than a being constrained by time and space, and as newtypes they are more than tools of war, no matter their differences.

Also this show seems to have Buddhism tones to it. He does seem to have been on some path of enlightenment to result in far less to no suffering and there was the shared consciousness aspect in the show, liberation of cycle of rebirth (going beyond time, as how people perceive time going from past to present to future is seen as illusion in buddhism), as shown in episode 41. However, I am not familiar with the religion so I won't comment more on that.
CyberNTDec 8, 2016 11:55 AM
Apr 25, 2017 4:53 PM

Feb 2012
An end to a classic. One thing I really like is that even in the end, the Federation military was more important than just the White Base and the Gundam. That ship was a key part to victory, but at least it is clear that there is much more going on elsewhere. I think that is one reason why the One Year War has been such a ripe backdrop for many other Gundam stories.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
1 Dom kill, 1 Zeong kills; 2 total kills this episode
77 kills total

Looks like 77 is the going to be the final kill count for Amuro during the One Year War. It was fitting that his final kill was taking out Char.
May 4, 2017 7:01 PM

Aug 2010
Have to admit, the ending was much better than what I'd expected, given that this was a cancelled series (and having witnessed Ideon's anticlimactic conclusion because of having been cancelled as well). Gets 4 out of 5 stars from me.
Aug 5, 2017 10:59 AM

Jul 2016
What a finale!! Gorilla combat at the end and the head shot took me completely by surprise.

I did think one comical part was when suddenly Char/Amuro were.. fencing.. makes sense. I mean, here we are seeing giant robots blowing up and guns used by the troops, but two hated rivals drop the guns and fence.. okay.

So glad I finally finished this series. It was such a great ride and I wish it never stopped. Now onto Zeta Gundam!!
Dec 14, 2017 4:39 PM
Jul 2017
Feniksrises said:
RIP White Base. You fought with distinction and died honourably in battle. You served your crew well until the last second.

Bye bye White Base. It was its own character really. Took so much of a beating compared to those other capital ships, it just kept pressing on. I'm not a Char fan, but it was nice to see Zabi family get owned.

Excellent series. I can definitely see how this has spawned into decades of further content. I've seen the compilation movies, and in comparison, I liked the pacing of episodic content better. I'll continue to recommend this series, and do a rewatch again in the future for certain.
Apr 3, 2018 4:06 PM

Nov 2016
Char killing Kycilia has to be the most badass moment in the series.

Good finale overall and surprisingly emotional ,especially seeing the Whitebase going down hurt a bit.

I think I'll rate this 6/10

Cause some serious and dramatic moments felt a bit off to me,due to the voice acting.Still a nice series,but I'm expecting more from the other parts of this franchise.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 7, 2018 2:07 PM

Apr 2009
Better than the latest gundam nowadays.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2019 3:51 AM
Jan 2017
For a final episode that had the problem of needing to concluded a rushed ending it did a decent job. Thankfully little did they know this would become a hit and a cash cow till this day.

Gundam is credited for pushing the genre and rightfully so yet if a friend were to ask if it worth watching? Its a tough watch for a modern viewer with aged animation, some off models but I feel its wrong to hold it against this series. however their other issues as this was the first anime to tell this kind of story that we would call real robot genre. it has a lot of dated elements that were common for the time, mecha of the day that were made to sell toys with equally dated designs and very young children characters that have no reason to be there coming to mind.

Yet there some thing done better than some anime today, antagonists writing as humans first(not so much the Zabi's), writing a mature war story with a main character dealing with PTSD. Even if it dragged in areas I'm glad and I saw it and enjoyed it as a hole.

So much so I'm considering doing a review for it something I've never done before, hopefully it won't be shit.
Mar 21, 2019 12:22 PM

Feb 2017
They should have reinforced that spaceship's windshield a little better. A single shot broke through it? If it can't survive a close range bazooka, how could it survive impact from space debris while travelling?
May 22, 2019 12:07 PM

Feb 2008
A lot of things irk me about the biggest "if" of this show: what if it had 50 episodes like Gundam SEED? Would they have had more to say about the newtypes? Because I feel like they didn't go too much into it. Just a product of war, which I don't agree with. My best example is Banagher Links, from Unicorn, who doesn't look like a product of war, but more of someone who wants to protect and his love for Minerva is another big point in his newtype abilities.

That aside, it was MUCH better than the trilogy movies, which honestly made me sleep to death. And of course, from a megafan of Gundam SEED, I really wanted to see the original one and compare all of what happened.

Nothing to compare, they are practically the same show.

Also, as a high school romance fan, I feel like Artesia should've had more love interests (ahem, Amuro) and not just be the lonely sister with a brocon syndrome (was she the one who started it all?). Matilda, Mihairu, Lalah, Mirai; all good characters, well developed and with great voice acting. Shoutout to Tesshou Genda for voicing Slugger, which became Mu la Fraga for me while his time in White Base.

The two last episodes had me very anxious, A Baoa Qu was a much better fight than the 2nd Jachin Due battle, and it was amazing as everyone who had watched Gundam 0079 before me kept telling me. But still not as good as Gundam 00's last battle.

Excuse me for useless comparisons, can't hold myself when typing about Gundam. Great show, great experience. I recommend it over the trilogy.

7/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Dec 31, 2019 9:19 AM

May 2015
I almost questioned Char's sanity several episodes ago, being all friendly with Kycilia and after she learned his true identity no less. That headshot was epic! I wonder what he'll do now, Zabi family is no more and the thing with Newtypes is somewhat uncertain at this point.

Amazing final and great series overall. It definitely had flaws but I really enjoyed watching this. The nostalgic effect of the sound and music hit me every time.
Jan 6, 2020 4:08 AM
Oct 2015
Now that's an epic finale.
Really enjoyed Amuro vs. Char scenes.
Char's last stand was fucking awesome. Been a while since I had seen such a badass moment.

'The Escape' was perfect. Simply astonished me that they had managed an epic ending for an anime long past.

Really anticipated for 'Zeta Gundam'.
Mar 5, 2020 8:55 AM

May 2018
So everything gets destroyed! Props to everyone for following Amuro's directions and surviving
Sep 25, 2020 2:24 PM

Nov 2019
awesome episode, i didn't i would make it this far but this was a nice experience

and explosions everywhere....
Nov 2, 2020 10:30 PM

Nov 2018
Now I see why people like Char so much, after this I have come to like him a lot too. Still Amuro for the win, he proved himself as a hero all the way through, a great character. Based Tomino indeed. Sayla best girl.
Nov 10, 2020 8:27 AM

Aug 2017
I was worried that the ending was going to be rushed but it was much better than I expected. Many things happened and it all made sense.

-Kycilia being beheaded by Char was quite brutal. The amount of detail is amazing. It seems that Char still appreciates his friendship with Garma by sending his sister to the grave with him.
-Char fighting against Amuro and Sayla intervening was quite tense. Both were injured and Amuro was nearly killed after he saved everyone on White Base.
-RIP White Base and mobile suits (Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank). They accompanied us for 43 episodes and it is a pity that they have been destroyed.

It was a very good ending and I would have liked to know what would have happened if originally they had been given the original 52 episodes and not 43 since after they went back to space, I felt that some episodes were very rushed. Even 40 years later, giving less episodes to a series that needs more is still quite common. What a shame. However, there are things that I generally did not like. Deaths are sooo predictable, it's obvious when someone is going to die and it's pretty repetitive. The bad animation made some scenes lose their impact and gives a different result than what was originally planned. Most filler episodes were fine and there are very good character interactions especially during the first 14 episodes. Sometimes the series becomes melodramatic for situations that they shouldn't be like the death of a side character, this would be fixed in the movies but on Earth it was quite tedious. After leaving Jaburo, the pacing is too fast because they gave them less episodes.....surprisingly the ending felt quite good but previous episodes made me quite concerned.

It is the oldest series I have watched since I was a kid and I really liked it. I must say that I can understand the classic anime status of this franchise and it is a must watch if you are an anime fan. Now, I'm going to watch the third movie to conclude the original Gundam once for all. Later, I will continue with the franchise but since I watched the original I continue with the sequel or several spin-off after a break.

These 3 months with this series were quite fun! 7/10 for the anime.

NurguburuNov 10, 2020 8:58 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 24, 2021 3:57 PM

Jan 2014
i am now fullfilled, this is more than what i had hoped from this classic
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Feb 16, 2021 10:08 AM
May 2016
I can't believe how epically bad this show was, to be such a beloved classic that is still going as a franchise I expected so much more. The newtype stuff out of left field was probably the most annoying part, the lightsabers, spaceships, and laser guns didn't make it Star Wars enough? Now they all had to be Jedi with the "force" too? I really liked the earlier explanation of the Gundam having a unique learning computer and with his father's brain damage that made it so it was the only one to have it.
Char's plans and motivations were even more ridiculous, I guess blowing someone's head off with a bazooka makes up for that somehow.
As for the romance all I can say is, how did not one person hit on Sayla? Even Hayato hit on Frau in the second to last episode, was she too cool and pretty to compete with the motherly looks of Mirai? <SMH> I guess Matilda ruined women for the entire crew.
Mar 10, 2021 7:31 PM

Jul 2017
And that's it. Amazing stuff with Char getting his revenge, and Amuro finding his true home. I wish the songs from the movie could have been the soundtrack to the TV show's scenes.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arcanus - Apr 30, 2009

65 by darthtruder »»
Apr 19, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.