MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer Episode 1 Discussion

Pages (5) « 0.6 1.6 [2.6] 3.6 4.6 » ... Last »
Poll: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer Episode 1 Discussion

01-04-11, 2:55 AM

Ignoring the ELS though, this is quite a departure from ANY OTHER Gundam because there is now talk of exploring other galaxies ala Macross, not just making space colonies within the Solar System.

01-04-11, 8:39 AM

Disappointing movie. Was hoping it would be better than it what it turned out to be. At most it's a 7.5 out 10 but it's more of a 6.5. Had more enjoyment watching Trigun: Badlands Rumble movie than this. Now that movie left me with a smile.

01-04-11, 10:13 AM

Instead of writing my own thoughts on Trailblazer, I'll simply link to Divine's review over at Random Curiosity. It's a good read and I completely agree with his/her opinion of the movie.

01-04-11, 1:13 PM

- loved the spoof-movie in the beginning. Really clever way of parodying mecha genre.
- Love how tey incorporated advanced humans stuff with innovators.
- The start of alien presence, earth technology going off, was breathtaking yet calm. NO over the top omgs and it escalated nicely.
- Love how every even minor character got a role and importance.
- Creepy alien ribbons and continuous a.c.clarke and i.asimov references.
- Setsuna's bowman-ish slow separation from humanity is surprisingly handled very well.
- Another reference to A.C.Clarke's Space Odyssey trilogy with jupiter event.
- Tieria's sacrifice = epicnss.
- GRAHAM!
- Aliens remind me a lot of gaunas from Knights of Sidonia manga by Nihei.
- When I think about it, 00 always had great OST, but this movie surpassed it in epicness.
- Setsuna's mind drift reminded me a ot of Bowman's little scenes in the chamber.
- Patrick the immortal Cola. XD
- Setsuna's Quantum travel to els homeworld remined me both of universal migrator concept from ayreon albums and Bowman's travels. from space odyssey.
- ELS evolution flashback reminds me a lot of A.C.Clarke's works.
- Wormhole travel :3
- Setsuna's embodiment of peace, flower, being transm,itted through els wa sa view to see.
- Epilogue start with aeolia flashback, reminded me a lot of Foundation and how it was set up by a foresight of one man. Especially the idea of mistreated knowledge causing self-destruction.
- Setsuna being similar to ELS in the end. Did tha tcome as sort of their fusion or is becoming itno that form is the next step of innovator evolution? That is left up to the viewers.

DuroDeMatar said:

Yeah, I would like something else or with more explanation too... I lost track of some things in the movie, but still pretty good :P

Actually the ending is self-explanatory for those who have already read/know about the novels

Setsuna is "David Bowman", an anime equivalent of "space child" created by the long-term plan of Aeolia's "Foundations". While overall plan had a lot to do with kickstarting negotiations and talks between alien lifeform and humanity, Setsuna also is the proof.

Its not important on what he became in the end. Maybe a god, maybe something above humanity, maybe universe. The point is he became. Just like majority of humanity advanced the leaps of evolution stagnated by conflicts and constant route of self-destruction of civilizations.Many people had similar problems with the last episode of casshern sins - a lot of things were left up to the interpretation of the viewer. IMO, thats for better than to try to needlessly explain every detail, destroying the magic that detail has. Some things are always better left unsaid, fo leave for viewers to figure out.

The ending weas perfect IMO. One can interpret that in many ways. Was it the final moments of marina's life? Is setsuna alive in a sense humanity understands life?

After all even in the end of second season, setsuna already had the controlof space and time itself and it only progressed(especially space aspect). What amazes me is that all of what he did is within the laws of quantum physics our universe functions by

Ac.C.Clarke's Childhood's End explored very interesting ideas of humanity's future and troubles of the contact between you and alien civilization(S). It managed to explore human preconceptions, fear of death and the eventual uselessness of physical self in very interesting and sorrowful ways.

I.Asimov's Foundation series explored and played around a lot of ideas that we have seen in gundam 00. Long-term goals, controlling society to achieve certain goals, those who do that being manipulated by a man long since dead, the value of knowledge in face of peril of war, changes, etc.

A.C. Clarke's Space Odyssey trilogy is also important. The contact with alien life, focus on human advancement and evolution, its all there.

The end scene with quan(t) in flowers embodied the idea - a machine, overpowered machine used for war, enforcing peace, even for preserving peace, making people understand each other, is no longer needed and has fulfilled its purposes . Humanity and the world is way beyond the need of that.

entropy13 said:
Ignoring the ELS though, this is quite a departure from ANY OTHER Gundam because there is now talk of exploring other galaxies ala Macross, not just making space colonies within the Solar System.

deep space exploration has beeen the pinnacle of science ficiton for years even before the scifi genre existed. Considering its normal step of human existance, when reflecting on what we did in our planet, its not so surprising. And thus macross reference is baseless.
Modified by CookingPriest, 01-04-11, 1:17 PM

01-04-11, 2:34 PM

I feel trolled because I was expecting a ending where Setsuna finishes fighting and settles down with Marina. Ends with SetsunaxGundamxblind+old Marina

01-04-11, 2:45 PM

Shippers fucking everywhere. Setsuna should be with Gundam, while being Gundam - no one else. Marina is more of a mother figure and Feldt's love seems to be completely one sided.

01-04-11, 3:37 PM

Did anyone else see Tiera float past when the guy was talking to the camera at the end? I laughed so hard at that
"A detoxified Akihabara would just be another electronic town!"

01-04-11, 3:39 PM

Also [gSS] sub's TRANS-GRAHAM was brilliant. Seriously, this movie is giving me too many lols from the trolling and flaming going on
"A detoxified Akihabara would just be another electronic town!"

01-04-11, 3:51 PM

Fai said:
DuroDeMatar said:

Yeah, I would like something else or with more explanation too... I lost track of some things in the movie, but still pretty good :P

Actually the ending is self-explanatory for those who have already read/know about the novels

I didn´t know that there were novels, are them in english?

All my gifs are in my blog

01-04-11, 3:54 PM

stAtic91 said:
Feldt's love seems to be completely one sided.

Whitch makes me kinda sad...
The ONE thing I wish this movie had was WTF happened to every one else?
OVA maybe?
/ 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \ / 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \ / 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \ / 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \ / 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \

01-04-11, 6:33 PM

What the fuck did I just watch?

No, really. What the fuck was that shit?

It was pretty as expected but that plot line was like something a hippie shat out alongside a violent stream of diarrhea.

I'm mad.

01-04-11, 6:35 PM

What the hell man. I loved Gundam 00 but this alien angle took a WEIRD turn for the bad.

PLUS:

I get the whole tieing in the 'understanding' theme, and the fact that they had to explain WHY inervators(sp) were even in the second season in the first place apart from extending the plot aka money making.

Love seeing all the characters after so long, especially soldier dofus who can never die.
The part where the cars are attacking Halleluljah was surprisingly entertaining as well.

And..for some weird reason I like how they tied in Setsuna's flower of peace thing..except it was all so weird at that point i felt confused as the credits rolled. I like Setsuna because he's a martyr/conflicted type character that you want to see be finally healed.

MINUS:

Marina. She is the most useless character, although necessary, because SOMEONE has to rant on about the peaceful solution. The hug at the end made me rage because the pairings seemed so promising with Feldt and Setsuna.

(REALLY? a weird epilogue with a metal setsuna and an old bag. I GET IT that they wanted to show man kind 'evolved' with all the innovators, but 50 FRIGGEN YEARS LATER?? please show us that AFTER we see the cast get their endings. No gundam meister, no setsuna and feldt,

((or even Milena and Tiera (lol that was funny with her dads reaction, not gonna lie.))

ALL IN ALL:

It was a disappointment for me, as I'm a huge fan of the first two seasons. I can even vouch that the alien thing isn't what killed it for me, it was how they delivered it. Maybe a better epilogue was all that it had to take. At the end I wasn't feeling the friend bond between the gundam meisters, much less, from Tiera between Setsuna, that was prevalent through the original episodes.

6.8/10 is generous. I want to rate it higher, believe me, but the guilt would linger.

01-04-11, 8:49 PM

Fai said:

Ac.C.Clarke's Childhood's End explored very interesting ideas of humanity's future and troubles of the contact between you and alien civilization(S). It managed to explore human preconceptions, fear of death and the eventual uselessness of physical self in very interesting and sorrowful ways.

I.Asimov's Foundation series explored and played around a lot of ideas that we have seen in gundam 00. Long-term goals, controlling society to achieve certain goals, those who do that being manipulated by a man long since dead, the value of knowledge in face of peril of war, changes, etc.

A.C. Clarke's Space Odyssey trilogy is also important. The contact with alien life, focus on human advancement and evolution, its all there.

The end scene with quan(t) in flowers embodied the idea - a machine, overpowered machine used for war, enforcing peace, even for preserving peace, making people understand each other, is no longer needed and has fulfilled its purposes . Humanity and the world is way beyond the need of that.

entropy13 said:

deep space exploration has beeen the pinnacle of science ficiton for years even before the scifi genre existed. Considering its normal step of human existance, when reflecting on what we did in our planet, its not so surprising. And thus macross reference is baseless.

I agree with this. As a rather hardcore SF reader, I would agree that this series did have some good ideas behind it. Obviously, the "realistic" aspect of the series is not as elaborate as that of UC in terms of character development and plot.

However, let me tell you this: SF series' biggest asset is NOT necessarily the plot or the characters. If it has great plot, great. If it has great character development, great. They are bonuses. HOWEVER, it's the IDEOLOGICAL aspect of SF that I think is the most distinguishable component that separates it from other genre of literature. Some of you may think this idea of "understanding" is shallow or childish, but keep in mind that what is defined as "childish" and "shallow" can be completely subjective.

For instance, from my definition of SF, Star Wars would be borderline non-SF but more fantasy. It may have great plot or characters, but it lacks in terms of ideological aspect.

Is this movie good then? As a SF series, it has some merits. However, I would say Universal Century is MUCH more elaborate than this. Other than that, I don't think it deserves all this hating.... No matter how the movie sucked in the plot and character department, I think it provided a nice ending (slightly half-assed) to the 00 franchise. I didn't say Gundam 00 franchise but 00 franchise simply because you can't really compare this with other Gundam series.

Could it have been better? YES. How? By more elaborate plot and suspense and more complicated SF element and less laser-spamming. But then again, people found this to be boring already. Then the alternative would be even more boring....

Overall, 9/10. I'm still impressed by the laser-spamming.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

01-04-11, 9:59 PM

They should've cut out some of the crap in the beginning/middle, and added 20 minutes to the epilogue. Feels like they made it too long, and just cut the ending so they could have a theatrical release. But overall, it was a good movie, the ending tied together well imo (except for the sunken ship of setsuna x feldt). I'm hoping for a longer version.

01-04-11, 10:39 PM

Haha, those aliens came out of nowhere. I definitely wasn't expecting the movie to be about aliens.
Really felt like Macross. They should have had Setsuna sing them a song lol

But overall I enjoyed it. Though, it could have used more lasers.

01-05-11, 12:24 AM

enjoy the movie and like it very much ^^

peace no war lol

01-05-11, 1:12 AM

DuroDeMatar said:
Fai said:
DuroDeMatar said:

not gundam novels.

Scifi novels which inspired gundam00,

First season is heavily inspired by Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, while second season and movie draws heavilly upon both A.C.Clarke's Space Odyssey trilogy and A.C.Clarke's "Childhood's End" novel. Aesthetics, designs, etc, all of that I could see appearing in their works.

Foundation series is alla bout one man's vision for the future, he predicted. It focuses on his "creation" closed secret organisation known as "Foundation", its tries to manipulate and stabilize the formation of new government and the mysterious "Seldon Plan".

A.C.Clarke's Space Odyssey series mainly deals with David Bowman and what happens to him, but focuses on evolution and possibilities of humanity, with Bowman literally embodying the pinnacle of human life.. Jupiter is a huge focus there. Not to mentionthe ideas and plotlines, Aliens coming out from Jupiter's "eye" is the most direct reference to these novels.

The third is A.C.Clarke's Childhood's End novel(referenced in very first movie trailer with "Humanity's childhood has come to an end" line) , which deals with alien appearance, struggle with communication and trust(aliens even refuse to reveal their looks till some hundred year into future when humanity has shed away their religious preferences enough to not label them demons). Second, it deals with the appearance of "gifted" children in earth's population(something of common theme around the works about human potential), while whole novel somehow sets up tension between aliens nad humanity, in the end their goal is revealed to be completely benevolent, although that leads to a very sorrowful, unhappy and sad ending. So in a sense while this movie ha d alot to do with this exact novel, the ending more closely resembles the ideas of Space Odyssey than that of Childhood's End.

01-05-11, 7:51 AM

shanimebib said:
This is the best Movie since Titanic.

ROOOOOFL =))))))))) *thumbs up*

Well I liked it ....until some point....mainly
that was one...but...then..came the BIG ending after credits.......I will continue to believe that the movie ended before credits and imagine I DIDN'T see Setsuna all shiny
and i didn't see marina an old hag and.......my eyes hurt...*tries to wipe the memory of those last 2 minutes*

I have 1 QUESTION: how is possible to turn smth that is pretty ok to smth disastruous in only 2 minutes!?.....Sunrise holds the secret to that question i guess.

01-05-11, 8:07 AM

yea movie is FAILURE give more how i was look at mention on this area http://herotvforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=110&start=720 really they said i was right the whole time.

so movie is a BIG TIME let-down should been better IF they (bleeping) make set-light be more HUMAN & go with set-feldt path.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime

01-05-11, 8:34 AM

okay so so far the only ones saying something bad about this movie are setsuna-x-felt(ever heard of one-sided love, folks?) shippers(who, unsurprisingly also have stuff like "gundam" seed rated as 10/10).

Felt's first and true love obviously was s1-lockon. What was shown as her feelings for setsuna was clearly shown as affection and attraction. There was no "epic love", she was just attracted to the guy. Something people usually get over.

Marina and setsuna have been set up as this platonic love relationship since season1. Two people , two different people reaching for same thing in different ways.

Both Marina and Setsuna have been strong characters with their weaknesses and its nice to see them each learn something in their life.

It only makes sense that they came to an understanding in the end. Not every series needs to end with childish riding into sunset or a wedding type romance. Its nice to see relationship handled in more mature way.

01-05-11, 11:54 AM

Wow this was terrible. The first Gundam movie to be green lit gave us this crap. Should be Celestial Beings versus another type of organization or something not a type of life form found on another planet. I don't care that Setsuna doesn't end up with anyone since this wasn't that type of anime anyway. His new gundam barely had any action. I was hoping the antagonist was going to be that new innovator and he would fight Setsuna but noooooo that guy dies in the middle of the movie and we get flying metals as enemies. What a bad way to end the 00 series.

Fights were boring and the plot was terrible. 5/10 and I feel like that is a generous score.

01-05-11, 12:00 PM

I hated gundam seed and don't give a crap about the relationships, yet this movie was still disappointing for me.

Even though it has been said, the main reason I hated this movie was before of the alien antagonists. They weren't interesting and it makes the fights kinda dull imo. Honestly, I'd rather watch yet another conflicts between two nations of humans instead of "Oh let's unite together and fight random aliens".

Also, the ending didn't help, it felt like the movie ran out of time and they decided to end it just like that.

01-05-11, 12:11 PM

Fai said:
okay so so far the only ones saying something bad about this movie are setsuna-x-felt(ever heard of one-sided love, folks?) shippers(who, unsurprisingly also have stuff like "gundam" seed rated as 10/10).

I wish you wouldn't generalize, but alas, I realize that may be a bit much for you.

01-05-11, 1:06 PM

I personally enjoyed the movie, although it's not like anybody cares. Halle showing off secret parkour skills made my day, and I'm quite glad that he appeared for more than one scene, but the Meisters basically weren't in the movie at all. The main focus of this film was... er. I think I lost that somewhere, I was distracted by all the lasers.
I do wish they elaborated a bit more on the finale - huge flower in space wtf - but I'm not complaining. I strangely enjoyed Descartes's presence (and I feel kind of trolled since he was advertised as the main villain and then proceeded to die in the first important battle) and Mina too. It was about time Katagiri had an alternate pairing, since his love for Sumeragi never quite worked out.
And speaking of one-sided love - I was never a huge Feldt fan, given that my shipping of choice has always been Setsuna/Marina, but I found her pretty annoying in this movie. It must have been all the clingyness - during every meeting she was like, "Setsuna, Setsuna, what do you think?". Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Mileina was made of win though. It was about time she confessed. I'm kind of disappointed we never saw Tieria's reaction.
Also, was that supposed to be Graham's death? I'll just be over there, pretending that bit of the movie never happened.

9/10 overall, if only for ninja Hallelujah and beam spams of various kinds. Oh, and Kati and Patrick taking over Ribbons's mansion.

01-05-11, 1:49 PM

I liked it. Although the meisters weren't featured enough. 'Nuff said.

01-05-11, 9:43 PM

It was interesting, but really a big disappointment over all. Setsuna was so hyped up, yet I felt like he did nothing until the end, and even then it was just him getting into the ELS, made contact, and left for ELS homeworld (by miraculously teleporting).

After this I thought, oh, maybe they'll show the homeworld, or maybe they'll elaborate on the memories/scenes Setsuna saw with Tieria. But nope, a flower resembling setsuna's...flower I guess, pops out of nowhere, the ELS stop, and the world is happy. Add on top of that, the epilogue hardly showed any of the other characters, what happened to everyone else?

Overall:
Ending sucked. It was too abrupt and doesn't explain things very well, or at all I should say. We're to assume that Setsuna cleared up the misunderstanding because he's clearly so BIG. And also that the other characters don't matter since they didn't show up in the epilogue.

Edit: Just saw the "manga ending to the movie" and all I can do is lol.
Modified by yaHzee, 01-05-11, 9:48 PM

01-05-11, 10:41 PM

Fai said:
DuroDeMatar said:
Fai said:
DuroDeMatar said:

not gundam novels.

Scifi novels which inspired gundam00,

First season is heavily inspired by Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, while second season and movie draws heavilly upon both A.C.Clarke's Space Odyssey trilogy and A.C.Clarke's "Childhood's End" novel. Aesthetics, designs, etc, all of that I could see appearing in their works.

Foundation series is alla bout one man's vision for the future, he predicted. It focuses on his "creation" closed secret organisation known as "Foundation", its tries to manipulate and stabilize the formation of new government and the mysterious "Seldon Plan".

A.C.Clarke's Space Odyssey series mainly deals with David Bowman and what happens to him, but focuses on evolution and possibilities of humanity, with Bowman literally embodying the pinnacle of human life.. Jupiter is a huge focus there. Not to mentionthe ideas and plotlines, Aliens coming out from Jupiter's "eye" is the most direct reference to these novels.

The third is A.C.Clarke's Childhood's End novel(referenced in very first movie trailer with "Humanity's childhood has come to an end" line) , which deals with alien appearance, struggle with communication and trust(aliens even refuse to reveal their looks till some hundred year into future when humanity has shed away their religious preferences enough to not label them demons). Second, it deals with the appearance of "gifted" children in earth's population(something of common theme around the works about human potential), while whole novel somehow sets up tension between aliens nad humanity, in the end their goal is revealed to be completely benevolent, although that leads to a very sorrowful, unhappy and sad ending. So in a sense while this movie ha d alot to do with this exact novel, the ending more closely resembles the ideas of Space Odyssey than that of Childhood's End.

Oh, ok, I missunderstood :P Thanks for the info though.

All my gifs are in my blog

01-05-11, 11:23 PM

I'm disappointed as we barely get to see 00 Qan[T]'s abilities.. what a bad way to end the show. Especially the ending. It sucked.

01-06-11, 2:14 AM

yaHzee said:
(by miraculously teleporting).

wrong. 00Gundam could teleport even in season2(well in a sense thats what quantization is, as time around the quantum bubble of 00 moves faster than time outside it, it looks like he teleports because it moves so fast that we see its dispersion). Considering the supposed connections of GN Particles to quantum physics and their ability to bend the space-time, its not surprising that even bigger ammount of gn particles would allow for the creation of artificial wormhole.

As for memories? what is there to elaborate? we saw the forming of the life in that planet ( different from our primordial soup), we saw a fast-forward in the planetary development when obviously civilization advanced(they even built space elevators). Then obviously their sun went supernova and while they managed to save the planet from burning up, without the sun it is as good as a random asteroid so they went on searching for the planet that would allow them to exist.

The flower is the easiest bit to understand in the movie. Its the embodiment of mutual understanding and pacifism. In a sense, in setsuna's mind its the embodiment of coexistence and peace. Now considering quantum field does sort of the shared consciousness thing, its obviously that the whole memory sequence was two-way communication. Aliens(lets not forget that they are alien. Our concepts are largelly unknown to them, as well as our biological structure, hence why they spent entire movie trying to connect to us, unsuccessfully) just reproduced the one synonym of peace they learned from Setsuna's consciousness.It also showed that ELS are finally capable of understanding biology of humans,because the flower resembled the organic ones.

And the ending? why doe sit matter on what happened to Sumeragi and others? we got to see what happens to humanity, how both newfound contact and innovator increase affects its existence. It also confirms many theories people had during first/second season that Innovators are bassically pinnacle of space-faring-humanity, adapted especially for long-term space exploration. They have stronger physique, telepathic abilities, greater reflexes, longer lifespans and are very fit for both diplomacy(due to telepathy) and exploration of space.

Its clear that by the rate its going, soon entirety of human population will be innovators and in sense, the old kind of humans will disappear, with everyone in new humanity being able to share thoughts in the collective-consciousness kind of way(in as sense, quite similar on how ELS communicate)

Misunderstanding was cleared the moment he communicated successfully with ELS, who were never actually trying to attack and were trying to understand/gather info(unsuccessfully because they could not comprehend human biology) only after humanity took aggressive approach, else went into actual war. Thus clearing
the misunderstanding about the first-shots and other things, allowed ELS(who in idea were pretty much pacifistic, because form the very start they had a shared consciousness and humanity was the first alien threat they encountered on their way to survival) to stop attacking.

And yes Setsuna is big. If innovators are the pinnacle of human existence, Setsuna is the pinnacle of innovator existence, with capabilities of things like traveling space with only his own mind, a sort of beginning of omni-presence...and various other things. As been said before he is Bowman, the "star child" of this franchise. And by the end he most likely is immortal. He is just showcase of human potential.

Movie explained everything, one just has to look deep enough.

01-06-11, 2:30 AM

Maybe another movie is in the works? That would be truly be groundbreaking, considering it would most probably be INTER-GALACTIC, first ever for a Gundam series. All Gundams thus far are confined to the Solar System.

01-06-11, 9:21 PM

I liked the movie for its good action and soundtrack

I think the ending would of been better if they extended it a little and give the aliens a little more motivation (still confused why they attacked to begin with)

Poor Graham I liked his character

with that aside what bug me was the weird time skip in the epilogue, maybe another year later or something along those lines would be better so we see what other characters are up too. Cause silver Setsuna and old lady Marina seemed odd to me.

beyond that i did enjoy the action and the soundtrack was great, lots of good moments and i wasn't bored even once, so it was at least worth the watch 7/10

01-07-11, 12:27 AM

damn..after all the useless hype...
its just BRS all over again.

01-07-11, 1:29 AM

pepperjackpimp said:

I think the ending would of been better if they extended it a little and give the aliens a little more motivation (still confused why they attacked to begin with)

it was telegraphed quite good.

Remember technically humans first attacked them by destroying the ship from jupiter.

AFter that ELS did not actively attack earth, they tried to "combine" with those who had high density of quantum brainwaves. In a sense they were trying to communicate with humans back then, but were unsuccessful, both due to the different mind patterns(as even those who could hear them, could not take the info and understand it) and biological differences(they are made out of metal and act as hive mind, and possibly they have never seen another species. Its only normal that our bilogical system was a mistery to them, till they finally got it right(with that innovator girl, after quite some time, as they have gathered info from those they killed by trying to combine)

In a sense, ELS did not actively attack for the sake of attacking till certain moment. then it slowly escalated into a big war between two frightened species that are too different to understand each other at the first contact.

Its actually impossible to give clearer motivation to an alien species that has an entirelly different mindsets, values and biology. They are too, well, alien, to be clearly defined by our morals, but according to their actions the above explanation is as close as we can get to describe their pov of the accident with our humanly words.

That in itself reminds me of many examples, for example Robert J. Sawyer's Calculating God novel, where there were an alien species for whom math or ANYTHING with counting is entirely mind-breathtakingly impossible to understand due to them NOT having five fingers and being unable to develop basic calculus skills.

Another example is The Horror Out of Time by R.Garriot. Which deals around a person exploring vast ruins that have just risen from the ocean and being frightened by horrible and unimaginable things in there like
It is then revealed that the explorer is

Quoting that book:

01-07-11, 1:31 AM

I didn't hear the song that they used in the trailers.Did i missed something or they decided to remove it?
-Change by uverworld-

01-07-11, 3:15 AM

It was funny that Patrick survived till the end o.o He really never dies ;o

01-07-11, 3:43 AM

This to me is not comparable to the likes of the UC movies, but it was a fitting end to a very good series. This movie tried really hard to be GAINAX! They introduced entities that are foreign to the Gundam canon. Simply put SUNRISE will never, ever, should never try and duplicate the surreal nature of GAINAX series like TTGL, FLCL, AND EVANGELION.

Should stick to the more grounded science base storyline. Either way this movie was fun; very enjoyable to watch.

01-07-11, 3:52 AM

That was one of the most incredible gundam movie I've ever seen.The aliens,new gundam,the battle and the ending is all impressive but too bad they didn't actually tell exactly what happen to other meister like Lockon and Allelujah !!

01-07-11, 4:57 AM

I didn't disliked the movie like many others. Although I did had some complaints, yes.

I think they focused way much screentime on supporting characters like Billy, for example. The main ones didn't do much and Setsuna's role wasn't that great in the movie. Feldt was being around him but he didn't care much. On the other hand, thanks goodness that Saji was better-- In the second season he was so annoying.

Also... The 2 new characters offered nothing, they were not necessary to be added.

And lastly about the ending. I liked the ending after 50 years, it was a bit sad to see Marina like this, but it was quite emotional. We didn't saw what happened to the others, but I imagine they were either very old (and nothing interesting to be shown) or dead. Although I didn't understood if Setsuna was both Innovator/ELS.

It wasn't that bad, anyways.

I'd like to see something more involving the universe of 00, maybe a prequel before A.D 2364.

01-07-11, 3:33 PM

Well it was good to see everyone in the series once again and how they lived thier lifes before this wierd phenomenon.
The movie was really not worth it for the long wait idk i would want a new gundam series to start right now!!

01-08-11, 12:05 AM

Someone call O'Neill, Jackson, Carter, and Teal'c! We got some serious replicators on the loose.

At the same time...

Frito said:
This movie tried really hard to be GAINAX! They introduced entities that are foreign to the Gundam canon. Simply put SUNRISE will never, ever, should never try and duplicate the surreal nature of GAINAX series like TTGL, FLCL, AND EVANGELION.

Should stick to the more grounded science base storyline.

I agree with this part of this post.

01-08-11, 5:24 AM

i like the pew pew part (face it, it's gundam, there should be fight scenes damnit!)

patrick cracks me up!!

but ending was abrupt and ugh.....

my take is tat setsuna has willingly assimilated with the ELS so that he would understand them better. but i don't understand the part where the ELS stopped fighting so abruptly and flower appears?

01-08-11, 6:09 AM

Awesome movie, was really great with all that pew pew, made me feel like gundam seed again, but that ending, fuc***ing srsly, a flower, srsly, made me go nerd rage, i feel heavily trolled, who the hell produce this? /b? ffs. might as well put troll.jpg instead of the flower...

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

01-08-11, 7:14 AM

DinaraC said:
but i don't understand the part where the ELS stopped fighting so abruptly and flower appears?

Setsuna's contact and mind-connection to ELS allowed them to finally get enough io to understand human morals.

Aliens have no understanding on human society, human biology or human mind. Setsuna being able to actually talk to them worked as two way communication, clearling the miscommunication from before (both when earth shot down the jupiter probe and when ELS on earth trying to assimilate were shot by setsuna.)

Bassically before that each side though that their enemy means them bad things. The flower Setsuna associates with peace and solutions of conflicts. ELS bassically replicated that concept of Setsuna's mind.

felo said:
Awesome movie, was really great with all that pew pew, made me feel like gundam seed again, but that ending, fuc***ing srsly, a flower, srsly, made me go nerd rage, i feel heavily trolled, who the hell produce this? /b? ffs. might as well put troll.jpg instead of the flower...

Oh? so what should have happened? Humanity should have eradicated ELS proving Aeoliar wrong and showing everyone on how worthless they are as the race destined to destroy others and themselves over and over again?

Frito said:
This movie tried really hard to be GAINAX! They introduced entities that are foreign to the Gundam canon. Simply put SUNRISE will never, ever, should never try and duplicate the surreal nature of GAINAX series like TTGL, FLCL, AND EVANGELION.

Should stick to the more grounded science base storyline. Either way this movie was fun; very enjoyable to watch.[/quote

I am sorry but since when introducing aliens means you are copying anime made by Gainax.2

The concept of aliens, especially realistic non-oxigen-bearthers have been older than entire scifi genre. OFr example most of HP Lovecraft's works focussed on bizzare surreal alien creatures, most of whom would cause humans to go insane from seeing them. And thats as early as 1902. its as old as different impossible to understand moral systems (so called blue and orange morality, compared to white and black), which was there even longer, since the faeries were thought up in medieval ages.

Its a VERY old concept, which was mostly silenced by cheesy pulp-scifi novels, shows and movies who usually featured humanoid aliens so the mainstream public can understand.

01-08-11, 10:22 AM

What was that ending? Totally came out of nowhere. Heavily disappointed. I don't know what they were thinking ending it at such a point but I couldn't care less for the story behind it, it felt so unbelievably unfulfilling. Season 1 and 2 blew this out of the water.

Being leniant I give this a 7/10, the fight scenes saved it for me. Also, Setsuna being the Silver Surfer is always a plus.

01-08-11, 10:35 AM

Nice explosions. So aside from that, what was the point of this movie anyway?

01-08-11, 11:22 AM

Fai said:
DinaraC said:
but i don't understand the part where the ELS stopped fighting so abruptly and flower appears?

Setsuna's contact and mind-connection to ELS allowed them to finally get enough io to understand human morals.

Aliens have no understanding on human society, human biology or human mind. Setsuna being able to actually talk to them worked as two way communication, clearling the miscommunication from before (both when earth shot down the jupiter probe and when ELS on earth trying to assimilate were shot by setsuna.)

Bassically before that each side though that their enemy means them bad things. The flower Setsuna associates with peace and solutions of conflicts. ELS bassically replicated that concept of Setsuna's mind.

felo said:

Oh? so what should have happened? Humanity should have eradicated ELS proving Aeoliar wrong and showing everyone on how worthless they are as the race destined to destroy others and themselves over and over again?

Frito said:

Should stick to the more grounded science base storyline. Either way this movie was fun; very enjoyable to watch.[/quote

I am sorry but since when introducing aliens means you are copying anime made by Gainax.2

The concept of aliens, especially realistic non-oxigen-bearthers have been older than entire scifi genre. OFr example most of HP Lovecraft's works focussed on bizzare surreal alien creatures, most of whom would cause humans to go insane from seeing them. And thats as early as 1902. its as old as different impossible to understand moral systems (so called blue and orange morality, compared to white and black), which was there even longer, since the faeries were thought up in medieval ages.

Its a VERY old concept, which was mostly silenced by cheesy pulp-scifi novels, shows and movies who usually featured humanoid aliens so the mainstream public can understand.
Fai said:
DinaraC said:

felo said:

Frito said:

The existence of ELS was acceptable in all accounts. Aliens can be anything from a drop of rice to freaking giant humanoid gorillas. But they clearly copied the flow, the look and the ambiance from the likes of Evangelion and TTGL. Them threading and exploring a totally new dimension etc is not Gundam like. That said those two also borrowed aspects from different sci fi genre. Everything is borrowed in the entertainment industry you hardly get a totally new, genuine experience. Should've have kept the story more grounded. The shit that they started yelling out at the end was unnecessary laughter. Seriously for a movie that had it going the first half of the show, and totally botch the ending. You cannot justify that. ELS was a cool concept. Even their existence is borrowed from the likes of T1000 from the Terminator series.

One more thing is that I don't know about you but Descartes was a wasted character, could've been more vital to how subplot moves forward. ELS could've used him as a pawn or a terminal to communicate but then SUNRISE didn't really go that route. They fucked up dude, you know it. Everyone I talked to liked the first half, but they seriously fucked up the other half.

01-08-11, 2:19 PM

I downloaded the 720p from gss. The file format is in mkv with softsub. I put this file into usb and insert into a dvd player. However, the subs disappeared. Where have the subs gone to?

01-08-11, 9:17 PM

ZonSlashSykato said:
I downloaded the 720p from gss. The file format is in mkv with softsub. I put this file into usb and insert into a dvd player. However, the subs disappeared. Where have the subs gone to?

you sir, is a proof of fail

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

01-08-11, 10:22 PM

I like how the movie emphasized understanding, yet the last words on the screen were in English. The Japanese audiences are REALLY going to know what it meant.

As someone mentioned earlier, I gave this a 7/10 mainly because of the animation sequences and battle choegraphy. Seriously thought there was double rainbow pew pew action going on cause they literally had that many colours on each frame.

I'm disappointed in the ending, but at least it was a giant space flower and not a giant heart carved into the moon like in Eureka Seven.

Banner made by suikka

01-09-11, 8:22 AM

watched it... felt like the whole thing was directed by micheal bay...

Pages (5) « 0.6 1.6 [2.6] 3.6 4.6 » ... Last »