Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 27, 2012 1:41 AM

Apr 2008
Jae102 said:
This movie was a huge let down for me don't get me wrong I love Gundam 00 and it's my favorite Gundam series and what got me interested in Gundam again but man this movie was a huge letdown. First of all what the hell are the ELS and why are they in this seires? Second why kill Shaman off when you hype him up to be an major antagonist. 3rd why didn't we go to Jupiter like we were supposed to. I thought the way the movie was being hyped that Celestial Being was finally going to Jupiter where the Gundams and GN Drive were built, and I thought everyone would have twin GN drive and evolve to innovators and maybe this movie dealt with Shaman who was a remaining Alaw or related to Alejandro Corner or something. Something with an plot with two sides having reason like the UC era. Not random shapeless Aliens that have no form and shape shift metal bull. ELS's had no place in Gundam 00 period and seriously Sunrise why? The movie was uninteresting and even lacked the cool fight scenes like the Anime had.

You sir took the words right out of my mouth. I want to forget this even existed (Tsukihime syndrome), but I love that Andrei died so it's tough. That awesome insert song when he died was probably the only good thin about this godawful movie. I REFUSE to believe Mr Bushido died.

One of the worst atrocities to ever grace my screen. 2/10 - In the leagues of Mars of Destruction, Naruto and Another and maybe Guilty Crown.
My Blog: Oasis Crossing ~The Book of Friends~

Forum Avatar: Fram Nara from Gundam AGE
Aug 2, 2012 12:38 AM

Jan 2012
damn I forgot how hot Marina Ismail was...

brb fap fap fap

as for movie itself.... forgettable
Sep 29, 2012 11:56 AM

Aug 2012
I enjoyed it.. the pew pew pew pew was really good.

But what tha faq was that ending ?

It's almost like they're saying

Sep 29, 2012 12:20 PM

Sep 2010
Everyone remember when we all thought Descartes was actually going to be important to the movie since he was in every PV?

Yep thought so.

Still 2 years later thinking what a waste of space he was along with that Meena chick too. Why were they even created to begin with besides eye candy?
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 13, 2012 1:14 AM

Jul 2010
Mr. Bushido, you are Samurai.
Nov 8, 2012 9:29 AM

Sep 2009
I didn't like this movie. Thankfully this means, or should mean, the conclusion of the 00 universe. I would've rated it lower but I actually kinda liked the ending, even if they did beat you over the head with their message. A big disappointment but eh, what can ya do.
not a job creator

Feb 14, 2013 10:04 AM

Jan 2010
I'd like some explanations:

1) The flowers on the Qan in the ending... I am convinced that they have a meaning! WHAT do the mean? At the beginning I thought they symbolized the fact that Qan was there from decades, because there is no war anymore; so Setsuna has no reason to pilot it and left it there for years/months... flowers blossomed on it. Setsuna still has CB suit because he's ready in case there will be war... but there isn't, so he just "watches"... But something says my hypothesis is wrong: Qan can't be there from "years/months" because it's likely that it's where Marina lives=> so in the ending it's there because Setsuna visited Marina. How can it be flowers on if it's there only from minutes/hours?

2) Aeolia knew that humanity would have transformed into Innovators?! HOW? How did he know? And, mainly, HOW did they become Innovator? I didn't understand how this evolution happens.
Feb 16, 2013 8:55 AM

Dec 2008
I enjoyed the movie! However, I think there needs to be some OVAs to show us what happened to everyone after the ELS stopped fighting, AND what Setsuna's life was like on the ELS's home planet.
May 5, 2013 12:06 AM

May 2012
WTF with this movie.. they can even execute the thought "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" in other ways.. i dont like the alien thingy,. im just disappointed that they did time skip.. T_T cant even see the other chara romance development(esp Marina and setsuna) :D.. anyways i will view it as spin off, i like the tv series ending more..

May 10, 2013 5:32 PM
Apr 2008
Even to this day, I am baffled as to how people think the ELS idea came from nowhere and/or was stupid.

It was alluded to SO many times in season 2, and the way they implemented this idea into the movie was very well-done and I considered the movie to be more hard science-fiction than Gundam space opera; perhaps that's the reason why so many people are put-off by it, since they weren't used to hard sci-fi? Indeed, this movie gave me strong reminders to Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow.

The story was great too, beautifully exploring and re-creating the anxiety and political complexities of a possible extraterrestrial invasion of this planet. Even without the quantum brainwave awareness of the Innovators, the Earth politicians and military personnel are hesitant at indiscriminately eliminating a threat they know so little about. The realism and execution of this dynamic and complex portrayal earns it a fine review from me.

I actually considered the action scenes to play third fiddle to the story in this film, and did its role of portraying the human fear of the unknown incredibly well. All-in-all, I believe this film was the logical way of concluding the 00 universe.

adis said:
First of all, I can't understand why people are so surprised that the main antagonist were aliens. Like Tieria didn't say that CB main goal was to unite the world FOR THE UPCOMING DIALOG, so with who else should humankind speak if not whit aliens, not to mention thh last minutes of second season(4 lights flying from Jupiter ) and the whole "humanity childhood has ended". To me aliens were so obvious the moment is finished the TV series [..] When I watched this movie it didn't felt like watching Gundam 00, it felt like watching something else, a weird SF movie full of pseudo philosophies, that failed hard at making sens, and a major plot hole.

At least this guy somewhat gets it. It's too bad he/she didn't understand the philosophical and sci-fi ideas and dynamics behind it.

klaymore said:
humans cannot even understand each other, we really cannot expect to find understanding with aliens, a world with no war is impossible... however it is not wrong to keep believing as i think that is the message of the show

stAtic91 said:
As you have seen in all of the previous Gundam anime, humanity is obviously not capable of uniting on their own. You saw how much war and power struggle there was in season one. For humanity to really become one GN-Particles and Innovation were needed, just like Aeolia's "plan" predicted. Aeolia's, no, Celestial Being's goal was very simplistic, it's just that Ribbons and A-LAWS interrupted with the overall plan, making it more difficult than it should have been.

True. We all know humans are foolish creatures who are unable to stop violence and war. I believe that's where the Innovators come in. After only 50 years, they now make up one fourth of Earth's entire population. Sure, minor disputes may still arise here and there, but these will most likely be solved peacefully by the ESF government. Once humanity fully evolves into Innovators, everyone will be able to understand one another.

Junigenmukyoku said:
I thought it was okay, I give it a 7/10. The overall message of the story was nice, but I think it would have been better if it wasn't a Gundam 00 movie. I mean, after watching the series, this movie left me with many questions. The action and animation was pretty good, but I don't know. It's a 2 hour movie, but it felt like a 1 hour movie to me. It lacked depth for a 2 hour movie, but was a good watch nonetheless.

Though more vague than other criticisms I've seen regarding the film, that is already a more fair criticism than the majority that I've encountered.
May 11, 2013 9:03 PM

Dec 2008
I didn't like the ending.
May 12, 2013 10:49 PM

Nov 2007
Overall of the movie is not bad, good action, story wise ok too, music good. btw, wish more action on the 00 Qan[T].

Just that ending moment a bit ..erm, not sure how to describe.

Seriously I wish they describe more on the CB crew at the end, so far only know Tieria, and Setsuna come back to visit marina, and the name of Sumeragi was mention which is the name of the new ship which mean she contribute a lot to mankind (I assume)? but how is the other crew?

and one thing, Aeolia sure is a GOD, can predict thing so far away....
Life is dear, love is dearer. Both can be given up for Fate/Nanoha.
May 19, 2013 4:31 AM

Aug 2012
Actually the movie was more like science fiction than space opera, so a lot of fans confuse since usually Gundam was use space opera genre. Even the ending was little letdown, overall this is a good movie.
Jun 8, 2013 8:22 AM

Apr 2011
Because Gundam always talk about human's conflict, supersition of nonexixtence and Ace pilot. Gundam 00 was literally spit on it. If Sunrise want to make some sci-fi a-la Star Wars, just make another franchise! Don't defile on Gundam!

"Peace cannot be obtained by force but by understanding?". KISS MY ASS! We, humans always having constant war since ancient time. I thought the crew should be more mature and know more about it. But, the fuck, don't they ever learn anything from human's war over these two millenium? Why Troy destroyed? Why Roman was destroyed? Why the fuck Mongolians destroy everything? And how the fuck WW2 finally ENDED!! DID THEY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THAT?? Please, Japan!!

Its not as simple as misunderstanding! Its human's nature, it always in their blood. Just why WW2 break out? Why gulf war happened? What happened in Vietnam? ITS NOT AS SIMPLE AS MISUNDERSTANDING FOR FUCKING HIROHITO's SAKE!!! PLEASE STOP IT JAPAN!! DON'T SIMPLIFY THINGS IN YOUR CRAMPED LOGIC!!

This is why I hate most Japanese fiction warfare.
Jun 22, 2013 9:45 AM

Jan 2010
allflying said:
Because Gundam always talk about human's conflict, supersition of nonexixtence and Ace pilot. Gundam 00 was literally spit on it. If Sunrise want to make some sci-fi a-la Star Wars, just make another franchise! Don't defile on Gundam!

"Peace cannot be obtained by force but by understanding?". KISS MY ASS! We, humans always having constant war since ancient time. I thought the crew should be more mature and know more about it. But, the fuck, don't they ever learn anything from human's war over these two millenium? Why Troy destroyed? Why Roman was destroyed? Why the fuck Mongolians destroy everything? And how the fuck WW2 finally ENDED!! DID THEY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THAT?? Please, Japan!!

Its not as simple as misunderstanding! Its human's nature, it always in their blood. Just why WW2 break out? Why gulf war happened? What happened in Vietnam? ITS NOT AS SIMPLE AS MISUNDERSTANDING FOR FUCKING HIROHITO's SAKE!!! PLEASE STOP IT JAPAN!! DON'T SIMPLIFY THINGS IN YOUR CRAMPED LOGIC!!

Anime almost always have optimistic views. It seams to me like they MUST be optimistic (at least: in some way!). Take 00: yes, there is a happy end and "no war! no misunderstanding! just let's kiss and hug!", but the anime itself shows you it is not possible. It shows people who "like" war, who have war/power lust "in their blood" (Saachez; Alejandro! they are not "misunderstood"! they simply need to be eradicated; they ARE war!), and Celestial Being being still (and always) necessary. Gundam 00 "KNOWS" that "misunderstanding" is not the only problem.
Jul 3, 2013 4:22 PM
Feb 2011
Deidara89 said:
allflying said:

Anime almost always have optimistic views. It seams to me like they MUST be optimistic (at least: in some way!). Take 00: yes, there is a happy end and "no war! no misunderstanding! just let's kiss and hug!", but the anime itself shows you it is not possible. It shows people who "like" war, who have war/power lust "in their blood" (Saachez; Alejandro! they are not "misunderstood"! they simply need to be eradicated; they ARE war!), and Celestial Being being still (and always) necessary. Gundam 00 "KNOWS" that "misunderstanding" is not the only problem.

While this may be true in some cases, there's a clear difference between being "optimistic" and just plain lying to yourself. Especially in a series that tries to take itself very seriously. You can't just shove anti-war message down our throats, when the message itself is rather weak, simplistic and easily contradicted.
Jul 13, 2013 4:47 PM

Oct 2012
I really enjoyed the movie but the end felt extremely abrupt, it's too bad. I think it would have been better if they had aired another 12-13 episode season to give time to flesh this out a little more and explain some things a little more in depth or at all for that matter.
NerorexJul 13, 2013 4:50 PM
Aug 31, 2013 11:47 PM

Oct 2007
TheOtherJN said:
Even to this day, I am baffled as to how people think the ELS idea came from nowhere and/or was stupid.

It was alluded to SO many times in season 2, and the way they implemented this idea into the movie was very well-done and I considered the movie to be more hard science-fiction than Gundam space opera; perhaps that's the reason why so many people are put-off by it, since they weren't used to hard sci-fi? Indeed, this movie gave me strong reminders to Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow.

The story was great too, beautifully exploring and re-creating the anxiety and political complexities of a possible extraterrestrial invasion of this planet. Even without the quantum brainwave awareness of the Innovators, the Earth politicians and military personnel are hesitant at indiscriminately eliminating a threat they know so little about. The realism and execution of this dynamic and complex portrayal earns it a fine review from me.

I actually considered the action scenes to play third fiddle to the story in this film, and did its role of portraying the human fear of the unknown incredibly well. All-in-all, I believe this film was the logical way of concluding the 00 universe.

adis said:
First of all, I can't understand why people are so surprised that the main antagonist were aliens. Like Tieria didn't say that CB main goal was to unite the world FOR THE UPCOMING DIALOG, so with who else should humankind speak if not whit aliens, not to mention thh last minutes of second season(4 lights flying from Jupiter ) and the whole "humanity childhood has ended". To me aliens were so obvious the moment is finished the TV series [..] When I watched this movie it didn't felt like watching Gundam 00, it felt like watching something else, a weird SF movie full of pseudo philosophies, that failed hard at making sens, and a major plot hole.

At least this guy somewhat gets it. It's too bad he/she didn't understand the philosophical and sci-fi ideas and dynamics behind it.

klaymore said:
humans cannot even understand each other, we really cannot expect to find understanding with aliens, a world with no war is impossible... however it is not wrong to keep believing as i think that is the message of the show

stAtic91 said:
As you have seen in all of the previous Gundam anime, humanity is obviously not capable of uniting on their own. You saw how much war and power struggle there was in season one. For humanity to really become one GN-Particles and Innovation were needed, just like Aeolia's "plan" predicted. Aeolia's, no, Celestial Being's goal was very simplistic, it's just that Ribbons and A-LAWS interrupted with the overall plan, making it more difficult than it should have been.

True. We all know humans are foolish creatures who are unable to stop violence and war. I believe that's where the Innovators come in. After only 50 years, they now make up one fourth of Earth's entire population. Sure, minor disputes may still arise here and there, but these will most likely be solved peacefully by the ESF government. Once humanity fully evolves into Innovators, everyone will be able to understand one another.

Junigenmukyoku said:
I thought it was okay, I give it a 7/10. The overall message of the story was nice, but I think it would have been better if it wasn't a Gundam 00 movie. I mean, after watching the series, this movie left me with many questions. The action and animation was pretty good, but I don't know. It's a 2 hour movie, but it felt like a 1 hour movie to me. It lacked depth for a 2 hour movie, but was a good watch nonetheless.

Though more vague than other criticisms I've seen regarding the film, that is already a more fair criticism than the majority that I've encountered.

I felt mostly the same way as you (especially the part about how it feels like a logical epilogue to the Anno Domino Saga of Gundam) and still to this day can't comprehend the sheer level of hate this movie got when it came out and how many people seem to have completely failed to notice that it was essentially the epilogue (not a new story) to Setsuna's story and served to tie up loose ends that were supposed to be covered in the TV series, but when the movie got green lit were instead moved to the big screen similar to Char's role in ZZ Gundam getting move ahead to Char's Counterattack. You can even tell the aliens were meant to appear in Second Season going by the gag parody trailer which turned out to be tongue in cheek spoilers for events that would occur in the season.

That is unless that was kind of the goal or peoples expectations and understanding of the nature of the film and Setsuna's story arc in general were completely and historically off base. Like I know I say this a lot, but I really think people just wanted to hate on this movie cause that's the trend with a lot of Sunrise produced stuff on the internet, it just seems so blatant here especially (nobody seems to have been really thinking at all with the critical posts, it's just straight into bashing and over the top reactions about how bad it sucks with very little elaboration beyond beating on the same frankly irrelevant and/or clearly off base if you really paid any attention to the film and series points like Hurr aliens even though as you mention it is foreshadowed to such an extent that I already pretty much knew the story had to be about an extraterrestrial invasion and the resolution of the third step of the Schenberg plan [did anybody else even pick up on this at all by the way as Tieria and Ribbons states it straight up in episode 24 of season 2 regarding the "dialogues to come"?] by the time I saw the teaser at the end of the second season) and I see no other way to rationalize the criticisms that were leveled at this one and the degree and they just baffle me to this day otherwise.

Also don't even get me started on some of the things people complain about that were actually explained or made more than obvious in the film like what the flower is supposed to mean, where the ELS came from, why Ribbons is in it, or who the trailblazer is cause you have to not be paying any attention whatsoever or just ignoring it in order to carry on the narrative we saw play out in this thread 3 years ago in order to not know the answer to these questions. There's just no other way.....it's just that suspect.
PeacingOutSep 1, 2013 12:09 AM
Oct 9, 2013 2:10 AM
Jan 2013
After re-watched Gundam 00 A wakening of the Trailblazer movie I felt it was actually alright, I was Glad Setsuna didn't choose his Gundam over Marina like what Tiera did . I feel Feldt was more suited for Setsuna and the fact Setsuna didn't really care about feldt feelings.

0) I felt the enemies(aliens) were rather stupid for the Gundam series as it wasn't really a mobile suit battle and there isn't that exotic battle where you get in the series. New characters introduced in the movie was rather pointless.

1)The ending was most disappointing because of rush scenes where we were not given on what happened to all the characters(it was like if they just disappeared into a black hole).

2)Then there is Setsuna going through that warp hole and didn't show what the planet actually looks like.

The BIGESST problem is it wasn't explained why Setsuna had to stay at ELS for 50 years because he was only there to make peace and maybe live there for 1 year instead.

I have to keep saying this but Setsuna should have choose Feldt(she has done soo much for him) but either way Marina/Feltd was fine for me.

I am DISAPPOINTING with the movie because it doesn't show that Setsuna used his powers to turn marina back to a younger age when it does in manga

I am sorry for writing this late because I have been staying at ELS for 4 years(please excuse for my lateness of writing my final thoughts and opinion
Nov 2, 2013 11:06 PM

Jul 2011
Everything was so good except for the ending D:
Gonna have to fiddle with my headcanon to get a more satisfying end because the epilogue was absolutely terrible.
'cuz I actually liked the movie... until the flower thing ;_;
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Nov 15, 2013 4:49 AM
May 2012
Dark_Messiah said:
WTF with this movie.. they can even execute the thought "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" in other ways.. i dont like the alien thingy,. im just disappointed that they did time skip.. T_T cant even see the other chara romance development(esp Marina and setsuna) :D.. anyways i will view it as spin off, i like the tv series ending more..

robertomelchor said:
I didn't like the ending.

I've been expecting this one just like season 2 but it didn't!!

WHAT THE FUCK, SERIOUSLY!! *angry sigh*
Dec 8, 2013 10:41 PM
Sep 2012
This movie had enough SetsunaxFeldt and Just Feldt in general that i loved it. I love this movie, I'm just going to ignore the last 5-10 minutes of it and fanficimagine my own SetsunaxFeldt ending. Yup Great movie. O_o
Jan 12, 2014 2:57 PM

Jun 2013
In the end Setsuna became the intergalactic savior/Jesus/"unificator" (lol). I'd say it doesn't get bigger than that :)

My only complaint is they didn't show what happened to everyone in the epilogue.

8/10.
Feb 8, 2014 6:54 AM

Dec 2012
I haven't been this flabbergasted since Kakumeiki Valvrave. I wish I could give it a 10 if only because Andrei is no longer with us.

It's not so much that I disliked this. I think this movie had a really important message, but fell short of executing it in a truly meaningful way. I liked the quote at the end, "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." But applying this to random aliens just felt so out of place and honestly felt like a mockery of what the past 2 seasons did a tremendously great job at building up.

I can now see why this movie's rank is leagues below the main tv series. I loved the battles and it was as fun to watch as the main show. Part of me likes how peace was finally achieved, showing that the process is a long one but still shouldn't be given up on. On the other hand, I feel like they could have used something else other than alien borg metal shapeshifters as antagonists for the message they wanted to send.

Overall I'm going to either say a 7 or 8/10, still have mixed feelings about what just happened.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After giving it some thought, I've decided that I should include my new thoughts about this movie to get it off my chest.

Everything about this movie was right. The foreshadowing of Jupiter's relevance, the importance of the Innovators, and the meaningful message about understanding one another. I feel as though with all of that in mind, this was deserving of an easy 8 or 9/10.

However, the one thing that went wrong with this movie was the addition of the ELS aliens. I feel that once again, this movie had a meaningful message that was poorly executed. If anything, the moral of the story was hindered by how extreme this scenario was. It would be like trying to teach people that love is about what's on the inside, while portraying a love story focused around an apish, filthy, and socially awkward otaku and a beautiful, waifu material perfect princess.

Overall I'm disappointed that everything about this movie was great, but with the inclusion of aliens none of that mattered. I would have much preferred human antagonists with something like a conclusion where Setsuna's Quan-T Gundam spreads its GN particles all over the world, allowing everyone to communicate with and understand one another.

6/10. Were it not for the other great and redeeming qualities, this would have easily dipped into the 3-5 range for me. The Tsukihime of the Gundam franchise for me, it no longer exists in my mind.
ZekkenshinFeb 9, 2014 4:44 AM
Mar 28, 2014 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
Mhm... the ending still bothers me...
I remember when the movie was first subbed and was put on streaming sites...
Half the sites I used had purposely left out the last minute and a half lol.

Apr 16, 2014 4:39 AM
May 2012
I can't believe I was the only person who've been whining over this one.

Talk about why I get over-emotional to this till I've been taking this very seriously.
May 15, 2014 6:49 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A bit corny at the end to be honest (the flower? LOL). And the Silver Surfer Setsuna is a bit too far out for my liking. But the animation and eye candy is as always extremely good and the combat sequences are awesome.
Gundam 00 is easily the best non UC Gundam as a whole IMO.But this film is definitely the weakest of the bunch.
FarabeufMay 15, 2014 7:44 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 1, 2014 7:26 AM

Dec 2012
Fai said:
okay so so far the only ones saying something bad about this movie are setsuna-x-felt(ever heard of one-sided love, folks?) shippers(who, unsurprisingly also have stuff like "gundam" seed rated as 10/10).

Felt's first and true love obviously was s1-lockon. What was shown as her feelings for setsuna was clearly shown as affection and attraction. There was no "epic love", she was just attracted to the guy. Something people usually get over.

Marina and setsuna have been set up as this platonic love relationship since season1. Two people , two different people reaching for same thing in different ways.

Both Marina and Setsuna have been strong characters with their weaknesses and its nice to see them each learn something in their life.

It only makes sense that they came to an understanding in the end. Not every series needs to end with childish riding into sunset or a wedding type romance. Its nice to see relationship handled in more mature way.

Thank You.

Jul 2, 2014 6:15 PM
Jul 2012
Might be a little late but can anybody tell me where I can read this manga?
Jul 6, 2014 11:34 AM

Feb 2013
Poor Feldt... she sure knows how to pick 'em...

So much action. Non-stop lasers everywhere.

Setsuna finally come back for his granny-girlfriend... so sad.
Sep 2, 2014 9:34 PM
Feb 2010
Total Like!

If this movie had a sequel, an OVA, or mayhaps a new season, from which Gundam 00 started, to what kind of alien civilizations they'll be facing does anything but intriguing me to a no-end.
Oct 7, 2014 9:08 AM

Aug 2012
ExileoN said:
Total Like!

If this movie had a sequel, an OVA, or mayhaps a new season, from which Gundam 00 started, to what kind of alien civilizations they'll be facing does anything but intriguing me to a no-end.

Too bad Sunrise team suck in developt science fiction genre, since it not attract many audience unlike mecha genre.
Dec 30, 2014 11:26 PM

Jun 2013
What the fuck was this shit?
Feb 10, 2015 6:41 AM

Oct 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
I haven't been this flabbergasted since Kakumeiki Valvrave. I wish I could give it a 10 if only because Andrei is no longer with us.

It's not so much that I disliked this. I think this movie had a really important message, but fell short of executing it in a truly meaningful way. I liked the quote at the end, "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." But applying this to random aliens just felt so out of place and honestly felt like a mockery of what the past 2 seasons did a tremendously great job at building up.

I can now see why this movie's rank is leagues below the main tv series. I loved the battles and it was as fun to watch as the main show. Part of me likes how peace was finally achieved, showing that the process is a long one but still shouldn't be given up on. On the other hand, I feel like they could have used something else other than alien borg metal shapeshifters as antagonists for the message they wanted to send.

Overall I'm going to either say a 7 or 8/10, still have mixed feelings about what just happened.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After giving it some thought, I've decided that I should include my new thoughts about this movie to get it off my chest.

Everything about this movie was right. The foreshadowing of Jupiter's relevance, the importance of the Innovators, and the meaningful message about understanding one another. I feel as though with all of that in mind, this was deserving of an easy 8 or 9/10.

However, the one thing that went wrong with this movie was the addition of the ELS aliens. I feel that once again, this movie had a meaningful message that was poorly executed. If anything, the moral of the story was hindered by how extreme this scenario was. It would be like trying to teach people that love is about what's on the inside, while portraying a love story focused around an apish, filthy, and socially awkward otaku and a beautiful, waifu material perfect princess.

Overall I'm disappointed that everything about this movie was great, but with the inclusion of aliens none of that mattered. I would have much preferred human antagonists with something like a conclusion where Setsuna's Quan-T Gundam spreads its GN particles all over the world, allowing everyone to communicate with and understand one another.

6/10. Were it not for the other great and redeeming qualities, this would have easily dipped into the 3-5 range for me. The Tsukihime of the Gundam franchise for me, it no longer exists in my mind.

My thoughts exactly.
Feb 12, 2015 4:48 PM

Oct 2014
I just found something...Interesting
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_-A_wakening_of_the_Trailblazer-_%28Manga%29
So in the manga, Setsuna marries Marina...Just when I thought the ending couldn't get worse.
Mar 8, 2015 4:40 PM

Jun 2012
I wish they had given the ELS an actual design instead of them just being blobs, but it was still enjoyable. Good visuals and a fantastic OST. The ending didnt really leave me satisfied, It felt like they didnt give all the characters closure. I feel like I might forget about this series in a month or two.

Howling_Darkness said:
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_-A_wakening_of_the_Trailblazer-_%28Manga%29
So in the manga, Setsuna marries Marina...Just when I thought the ending couldn't get worse.

I wish they had included that in the movie, makes me feel better about the ending.
Mar 14, 2015 3:13 PM

Oct 2014
Shuhan said:
Howling_Darkness said:

I wish they had included that in the movie, makes me feel better about the ending.

Its true that it makes the ending more "complete". But just de-aging Marina like that is stupid.
Mar 29, 2015 7:34 AM

Nov 2013
flaxman85 said:
damn I forgot how hot Marina Ismail was...

brb fap fap fap

as for movie itself.... forgettable

Amen.
"In the manga, Setsuna returns to Earth when Marina Ismail is old, similar to the movie, however here he uses the power of the ELS to make her young again, and they get married. "
Here's my proof.
I translated it.

It is legit. I don't lie.
KapengBarakoMar 29, 2015 8:22 AM
Apr 7, 2015 11:41 PM

Jun 2012
Howling_Darkness said:
Shuhan said:

Its true that it makes the ending more "complete". But just de-aging Marina like that is stupid.

Yeah its kinda dumb but im pretty desperate for any closure.
Jul 4, 2015 2:21 PM

Feb 2012
Wow this movie was bad :|. Rewathing it after a few years really puts alot of things into perspective.
Jul 8, 2015 6:40 PM

Jul 2010
I still think Feldt is best girl.
Jul 8, 2015 7:06 PM
May 2015
I love the movie as a whole, as I wasn't confused by the genre change (space opera to hard sci-fi) as I watch pretty much every genre. Gundam 00 as a whole is my fav Gundam. The movie is a 7/10 while series is 8-9/10. I felt Feldt's romance, which I might agree was shoehorned, progressed way more than Marina x Setsuna ever did (the manga ending would downgrade the movie to 5/10 so let's not count it).
Jul 27, 2015 5:27 AM

Jun 2014
CookingPriest said:
okay so so far the only ones saying something bad about this movie are setsuna-x-felt(ever heard of one-sided love, folks?) shippers(who, unsurprisingly also have stuff like "gundam" seed rated as 10/10).

Felt's first and true love obviously was s1-lockon. What was shown as her feelings for setsuna was clearly shown as affection and attraction. There was no "epic love", she was just attracted to the guy. Something people usually get over.

Marina and setsuna have been set up as this platonic love relationship since season1. Two people , two different people reaching for same thing in different ways.

Both Marina and Setsuna have been strong characters with their weaknesses and its nice to see them each learn something in their life.

It only makes sense that they came to an understanding in the end. Not every series needs to end with childish riding into sunset or a wedding type romance. Its nice to see relationship handled in more mature way.

CookingPriest if you haven't read it there is a manga drawn by Yun Kouga(official character designer of 00) called "The place where the sky meets the earth" which serves as the prologue to the movie and YES IT IS CANON and it depicts setsuna x marina's relation as a very intimidate and strong one but the unique thing about them is it this relationship is totally asexual but it's not platonic either as shown in the manga. They do feel for each other but they also know that it is impossible to to be with eachother.

The manga also explains as to why Setsuna went to meet Marina at the end of the movie. You should read it , it's only one chapter of 32 pages. Felt had a one-sided crush on Setsuna but she was allyzoned ;)
Jul 27, 2015 5:31 AM

Jun 2014
Shuhan said:
Howling_Darkness said:

Yeah its kinda dumb but im pretty desperate for any closure.
The marriage is a metaphor of their feelings. The mangaka himself stated that.
Jul 27, 2015 5:37 AM

Jun 2014
SovereignSky said:
I love the movie as a whole, as I wasn't confused by the genre change (space opera to hard sci-fi) as I watch pretty much every genre. Gundam 00 as a whole is my fav Gundam. The movie is a 7/10 while series is 8-9/10. I felt Feldt's romance, which I might agree was shoehorned, progressed way more than Marina x Setsuna ever did (the manga ending would downgrade the movie to 5/10 so let's not count it).
LOL a one sided romance progressed the story as compared to the mutual understanding of two individuals and their acceptance of one another and of their paths which in term developed Setsuna the most LOL i think you haven't read the Prologue manga of the movie written by Yun Kouga WHICH IS CANON named "The place where the sky meets the earth" which pretty much declares the obvious fact the Soran(Setsuna) X Marina is the OTP and also explains their relationship through the their thoughts in the manga and also show how Feldt does not even comes close to what Setsuna and Marina have for one another.

Oh yeah the manga also explains why Setsuna went to meet Marina and NOT Feldt. I hope one day i will get to see a 20 min OVA of that manga so that this unnecessary waifu war will end LOL
CutePriestJul 27, 2015 5:41 AM
Oct 31, 2015 12:47 AM

Aug 2013
I liked the movie. The scene after the credits wasn't needed though. I'd rather have an open ending.

7/10
Dec 7, 2015 8:39 PM

Mar 2012
This was a terribly executed movie. Within the first 15 minutes of the film there was an entity ready to go back to the old ways and start conflict because they didn't want to understand them as human beings, that they are only good for slave labor and the moral of the movie at the end is understanding, and that humans can change. THAT'S SUCH A CONTRADICTION. The Feldt and Setsuna relationship went no where at the end of season 2 and it went completely no where in this, what was the point? There were so many ships sailing in the original series, why bother continuing with a pointless one? The ELS has to be the dullest "aliens" I've seen ever in an anime, no, animated series period. Shaman got a lot of air time in the first half for someone who died quickly and served no real purpose to the plot. As far as I can tell, and how much I so badly want to state otherwise, Destiny is better than this movie. Hell, this movie took on some of the terrible bits of Seed, Lock-On pulled a Kira Yamato and went full beam spam in one part of the movie, Mehna was introduced almost as 00's version of Flay Allster, only smarter apparently.
Most of the latter quarter of this movie can be summed up as machines shooting at solid walls for apparently hours...waiting for the newly created Gary Stu (Setsuna) to come to the rescue and even then all he did was avoid fire and make it to the core, only to finally have it abruptly stop.
Like with Destiny, I want my life back. :|

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 19, 2016 3:02 PM

Dec 2014
-----------------------------------------------------------
Unfiltered text below. You have been warned.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Jeez... nobody gives 00 a break on MAL, do they? A third of the comments are a bunch of criticisms without any explanation whatsoever.
Ya know, I kept hearing about how Awakening of the Trailblazer was "complete trash" and "haxhaxhaxxxxxxx with aliens", but I thought it was actually pretty good.

Some of the big points for me:
- Had a good laugh at "Celestial Being the Movie". Pretty accurate parody of the show till now, though I am a bit surprised that people forgot Celestial Being so fast. I mean, it was only four years ago!
- While I did find Marina kind of grating VA-wise, at least she was doing something productive. In fact, just about everyone was interesting this time around, and none of them felt like they were on the screen for too much or too little.
- Billy and Mina (Still not sure if that's Nena or not, and if it is- why is she still alive and not ogling Setsuna?) were informative, but also pretty funny. I laughed harder than I should when Billy said "Please be gentle."

Of course, the way that everyone just magically survived at the end (with the exception of Andrei, 1st-Innovator-san and TRANS-GrahAM - may you rest in peace) was kind of childish- but so is the wish that everyone in existence can fully understand and sympathize with each other. You're not going to be able to get around that in Fate/Stay Night or in Gundam 00. And for what it's worth, I think the rest of the movie more than made up for any points that would have taken off.
It's not a perfect movie, but all in all it was pretty amazing. Putting it as 9/10, and a favorite anime.
Feb 5, 2016 11:14 AM

Apr 2008
Watching the movie for a third time and I still think it was the low point of Gundam 00 franchise. Not because of the aliens, or lack of Quan[T] action or Marina Ismail shipping at the end. But because it was a movie, it was too short for amount of plot it had to cover and develope.

Honestly the awakening of trailblazer would have been a fine 12 episodes third season.

I would love to see more of the new earth federation.
See more of what Mari and Aleluja is up to on their pilgrimage.
See how Celestial Being is still watching over the world from the shadows and helping out.
See more of Saji and Luise, in general have more time spent on viewing how people are adapting to the new world.
More than anything, we needed more time to develop Setsuna as an Inovador. See him come to terms with his new abilities and learn how to let others close to him once again.

The concept of ELS were fine, the execution really lacking. Nearly every action scene was reduced to someone running away from a bunch of missiles. Later on they began to adapt and evolve by copying human technology, very unimaginative.

They should have developed the prelude to conflict a bit more, with ELS attempting to make first contact via assimilation of quantum adept humans. But because of the nature of ELS the human either died to due overload or went on rampage due to going insane.
Thus mankind get really scared of ELS and consider them a threat, they bounce back to their old ways and try to fight ELS with force and ELS, responds with the same coin.

Where CB is actually trying to find a way to solve this without violence. In the end, Setsuna would use Quan[T] to create a huge particle field, utilizing hundreds of linked consciousness, they would be able to communicate with ELS and make truth. ELS creates a flower in space to "communicate" to the rest of the mankind that they do not wish for conflict.

Then Setsuna tells that he feels obligated to help ELS at their homeworld, says his goodbyes and leaves. Timeskip and longer prologue is also needed, as I strongly feel we did not get any conclusion to Saji's and Luise fate, not to mention Mari and Aleluja.

tl;dr
The movie was not enough to cover the amount of plot required.
I shall know no fear as I am fear incarnated
Apr 4, 2016 8:54 AM

Apr 2015
Okay I honestly loved both seasons 1 and 2 and I think the latter ended perfectly and in a satisfying way. I really don't know why they decided to make this. It basically just ruined everything good from the series, including both characters and plot. So, to me, this movie never happened and season 2 was the true ending
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» The Ending

Pegorge - Jan 23, 2011

17 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 5, 2022 9:40 AM

» Mobile Suit Gundam 00 10th anniversary event announced a new sequel is in production.

DatRandomDude - Apr 14, 2018

11 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 5, 2022 7:46 AM

Poll: » Can't decide who is best girl. Help!

NakoP - Sep 7, 2022

4 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 5, 2022 7:45 AM

» Manga Ending: Gundam 00 Movie: Awakening of the Trailblazer

deg - Jan 4, 2011

25 by Bulma777 »»
Mar 10, 2017 4:11 AM

» Big fan quetion

Bulma777 - Dec 26, 2016

0 by Bulma777 »»
Dec 26, 2016 11:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.