MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Overrated?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann »» Is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Overrated?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
View Poll Results: Is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Overrated?
Yes

392 42.24%
No

536 57.76%
Voters: 928

05-26-08, 10:37 PM

Yes or No.
A simple question
Modified by TuzoAnime, 09-12-08, 12:28 AM

05-26-08, 10:50 PM

Don't feed the troll!

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).

05-26-08, 10:53 PM

Delete this, please.

05-26-08, 11:03 PM

Lawl, it's defiantly not overrated. I rarely watch/enjoy mecha animes and I absolutely am enamored with this anime.

End discussion.

05-27-08, 12:39 PM

TTGL is as much overrated as Bush is a good president... but let's not start a debate on Bush plz =P (all that meant that TTGL is far, far away from being overrated)

05-27-08, 12:43 PM

I personally agree with Alberto. Gurren Lagann is indeed quite good, but its popularity is blown out of proportion if you ask me. I don't think that it is worthy of being called a masterpiece either.

People who go and get upset when people say that Gurren Lagann is overrated really need to grow up, and respect the opinions of others. Yes, I know that saying it is overrated is not much different, but still...

05-28-08, 6:57 AM

This is just my opinion. I think the reason why a lot of people rated it as 10/10 is because its very enjoyable. But in terms of storyline, its really just a simple one. But in terms of the passion of the show, I think its a masterpiece.

On side note, I think MAL should really change the ranking system or at least make it better. Like basing the total rating for story, animation, sound, character, and enjoyment. Put weigh on each category and calculate the average = total rating. If you noticed, in most of the reviews of Gurren Lagann, you will see the enjoyment 10/10.

05-29-08, 2:21 PM

i am in agreement with rainulf. I don't believe this show is overrated because it is just that enjoyable. Sure there are anime out there with better animation, sound, story, and whatever else you want to say is needed in a masterpiece. But what makes ttgl so amazing is just the feelings you get from watching it, all the memorable moments that come at you one after another, and just the entire epicness of it.

No other anime has pumped me up as much as ttgl, or had me rewatching it as much, despite the fact it has bad animation at some parts and recycling of animations at others, just to list some flaws.

05-29-08, 6:29 PM

the great thing about MAL is that the ranking system is based off of everyone's votes. The few people that think it isn't that good are in the minority and it's score reflects that. The score you see is based off of everyone's opinnions about the show. So, imo, it isn't "over rated". The rating it has is there because the majority of people think it should be there. I think most of the people on MAL wouldn't give it a good score just because other people gave it a good score. We're all pretty seasoned here.

05-30-08, 11:12 AM

I thought it was pretty neat, but its no masterpiece. I didnt even think I was that into it until I watched the last 15 episodes straight :D. So it did a good job of keeping me intrested.

06-07-08, 3:49 AM

Nope.

Also, anyone giving it a rating of a 1 deserves to be decapitated.
The junk ratings it has should be removed.
It's obvious people giving a 6 and lower are just asscakes.

06-08-08, 8:13 PM

Viperslayer said:
Nope.

its pretty lame to call someone a jackass because they dont have the same taste as you. i think bleach sucks but im not calling you a jackass for using it as your avatar.

06-10-08, 10:03 AM

hatebobbarker said:
Viperslayer said:
Nope.

its pretty lame to call someone a jackass because they dont have the same taste as you. i think bleach sucks but im not calling you a jackass for using it as your avatar.

QFT

I think its good, but still overrated... i may change my mind when i finish it...

06-10-08, 10:51 AM

It's quite charming with its over the top antics and excessive art style. Don't go in expecting some grand philosophical show, just a very good and fun one with a simple message of just believe in yourself. Only 5 eps in but it's really charming.

06-10-08, 10:59 AM

It's much too overratted! It's not OMG EPIC as everyone says. =/

06-10-08, 1:25 PM

in my opinion(im writing this phrase for people who cannot understand that the "things" ahead all are my personal thoughts ^^) it should have been nowhere near as being at the top of all anime out there, additionally i dont think this anime has been done by considering people over 15-16, as i didnt get that much enjoyment either which is presented as the most important factor this anime serves, so in terms of enjoyment, it wasnt even one of the better ones...i dont even bother mentioning about the other aspects relatively weaker than that(story wise etc..).

all in all, for this anime's being at the first place , it is all about the fact that, people who had a different understanding and a different sense of humour than mine are just majority on MAL, or on earth who knows ^_^

06-10-08, 3:06 PM

Its a anime....anime isn't that popular...so it doesn't get much ratings..so how can something that doesn't even get enough ratings be overrated?
Click Meh >_> Loading...

06-10-08, 4:31 PM

Personally, yes, i think it is. It's a great show, but it's flawed.

The main problem that i have with the series is that so many characters are introduced into the series and we don't really get to know a lot of them properly, it's too overwhelming. A lot of the characters don't get much character development. and i'm not going to accept the 'OMFG BUT IT WAS EPIC' rubbish either, because that isn't an excuse.

It really should of been longer, cause that would of probably solved this problem.

06-10-08, 5:24 PM

Nope.

06-11-08, 6:57 AM

I just dropped the series because it bored me. I didn't like one of maincharacters so far and it look about to change any time soon.

Im guessing the show is popular because it looks more like American style cartoons. I don't necessarly mean the artwork but the simple jokes, storyline etcetera. Easy to understand and likeable for a large audience, made for the masses. Well, I didn't even like Cartoon Network when I was a child so maybe therefore I don't like the series thusfar.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (16) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices