Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 8, 2010 2:21 PM

Nov 2007
So I totally didn't realize this until late into the series, but it finally occurred to me that this show is a very unique take on the classic werewolves vs vampires plot. It long bothered me that the one side turned into the weird zombie dog people (because really, this is just plain bizarre), but then I realized: "Hey! Wait a minute. Super strong doglike creatures afflicted by a curse that leaves them with no sense of self and a danger to those around them, and then undead people who are also super strong, but who retain their sense of self, live forever, and whose original bodies reside in coffins. WAAAAIIIT A MINUTE! I've seen this before."

Granted, some of the typical rules of such a conflict aren't present (the Animus aka vampires can walk in sunlight and don't drink blood and the opposing side only "manifests" aka transforms once rather than having just transformations dictated by the moon...although, they only ever seem to manifest at night aside from Herve's mother), yet the basic foundations for werewolf and vampire lore are both there. (Oh! And I just thought of another vampire trait present in the show: the girls turn to dust if they die.) It just struck me as fairly clever how subtly this conflict was expressed and how neatly it was re-envisoned. It's a completely different approach to the classic story, which I have to applaud the creators for. I think they screwed up by not really exploring the actual plot more, but that's for another topic.

Did anyone else make this connection?
Mar 18, 2012 11:17 PM

Jul 2011
wow i neverreally thought about it like that.. good job making connections
Mar 31, 2016 7:29 PM

Sep 2010
Wow nice. Thanks for sharing.
Apr 1, 2022 10:52 AM
Jun 2008
Tsumayouji said:
Did anyone else make this connection?

Nope. I didn't make the connection until I read this thread, but then I'm actually finally finishing up Red Garden after years of struggling to get through the series as there was something I could never wrap my hand around - something that I was still wondering about as I'm almost finally finished with the series.

And I think this is it.

But I think, also, that's one of the issues with the series, that they never really addressed the fact this is supposed to be a twist on the whole vampire/werewolf conflict so people would never guess it, particularly since Horror isn't listed for the genre.

Which, it always did bother me that this series was effectively recommended to me when I was looking for more Anime of the Mystery genre, but it's missing some of the important elements of that genre, so as a mystery it's not very enjoyable to me.

It always felt more enjoyable as horror, but if you place it firmly in the vampire and werewolf conflict it's definitely enjoyable. Of course, that would also mean spoilers for a few things that come later on.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Red Garden Episode 12 Discussion

mrzkitty - Mar 18, 2012

8 by Missynette »»
Oct 19, 2023 6:23 AM

» Worth Watching?

dustinator1991 - Jul 13, 2023

2 by Caro_Arca »»
Jul 15, 2023 12:28 AM

Poll: » Red Garden Episode 22 Discussion

Katbot - Jul 11, 2009

34 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 18, 2022 4:07 PM

Poll: » Red Garden Episode 21 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 1, 2011

12 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 18, 2022 3:39 PM

Poll: » Red Garden Episode 20 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Mar 1, 2011

7 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 18, 2022 8:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.