Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2010 11:11 AM

Sep 2008
Normally I prefer subs for any anime I see. But there are some obvious exceptions. And samurai champloo would be on the very top of that exception list.
Seriously. A lot of people who are primarily English speaking have not seen this dubbed. Thats just sad. I just dont get it. What kind of an English speaking anime fan would skip on cowboy bebop or samurai champloo dub. Especialy samurai champloo. That would explain the lower rating for the show on MAL (relative to other half-assed shows on the top anime list). Obviously, you're bound to miss some of the expression when you're reading like that.
Honestly, if you havent seen the dub, do yourself a favour and watch the dubbed version of this show. The sub is good, but its crap compared to the dub. Not really. But thats how good the dub version is.
eyerokNov 14, 2014 4:23 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 7, 2010 4:13 PM

Sep 2010
Well the subs are good too. But, imo, I think the dubs a whole lot better. It's what I first saw it in too. I'm rewatching it right now though and gotta say, english dubs are still awesome. And it's rare for me to actually like dubs (the only other ones so far is probably FMA and Baccano..maybe one other anime, but yeah not really a dub person).

What is your color? Are you satisfied with it? To your ideal color... the color you had always wanted to be dyed... you used to seek it more than now... reflect your true self. Let it release.
Aug 4, 2011 10:18 AM
Feb 2010
The dub is good on this series, however there are some episodes which the dub doesn't work. The episode with the folk singing and map at the opening. And the second episode in the Mugen pirate arc.
Aug 7, 2011 1:09 AM

Dec 2010
The dub adds disc scratches (which are awesome)
Aug 7, 2011 1:25 AM

Sep 2008
aboose said:
I saw these posts so I decided to check out the dub, as skeptical as I was.

I was right to be skeptical. I personally think that the dubs are horrible, just as bad as any dub.

well, they're better than most american cartoons I've come across. In fact
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Aug 10, 2011 5:41 AM

May 2009
We are going to be filthy bitch
Aug 11, 2011 11:08 PM

Jun 2011
In subs the characters voices never sound as emotional as a dub, especially in this series. Each voice actor on the dub suits the characters so well, I think. LOVE IT!
Aug 11, 2011 11:11 PM

Aug 2011
aboose said:
just as bad as any dub.
yep you are SOOOOOO credible when it comes to dubs*sarcasm*
May 11, 2012 4:36 AM
Sep 2009
Two words: Steven Blum.

Reason enough to watch the dub. Dub > Sub.
May 16, 2012 11:56 PM
May 2012
I just joined and this is the first thread I saw. I gave the dubs a try but I couldn't handle it! I dunno if it's cuz I've been watching Samurai Champloo pure subs beforehand, but it's just not the same! Mugen dubbed seems so tame while subbed and Jin seems too excited. It just doesn't fit their character!
May 16, 2012 11:58 PM

Aug 2010
Dub was very good but can't compare them as I haven't seen both.
May 26, 2012 1:22 PM

Sep 2008
MaximusTheGreat said:
I just joined and this is the first thread I saw. I gave the dubs a try but I couldn't handle it! I dunno if it's cuz I've been watching Samurai Champloo pure subs beforehand, but it's just not the same! Mugen dubbed seems so tame while subbed and Jin seems too excited. It just doesn't fit their character!

ehh, wha-? I felt it was the opposite. Mugen was wild and sounded natural (unless you're doubting steve blum's abilities as a VA). And Jin sounded sober and unexcited, just the way he should be.
Nov 25, 2012 9:34 PM

Jan 2012
I'm one of those people the Love subs, which doesn't mean I hate dub. However, 90% of the anime that I watch anymore is in sub. There are a lot of dubs that make my ears bleed; come on, I know you know that one dub that just sucked. This had a pretty great cast. Some of the miscellaneous characters were a little irritating, but the main cast was great. In particular, Mugen was great, but I doubt anyone would argue with me there. Although, I kinda want to go find the Baseball episode sub. Its so funny when the do english scenes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 29, 2012 4:38 AM

May 2012
While the acting and writing is really good in English (Steve fuckin Blum!) there is one particular episode which just does NOT work in English - The Baseball episode.

In this episode we have Americans playing baseball against the Japanese. The American characters however do not speak Japanese, they speak Engrish in both versions. This of course ruins a lot of the "language barrier" humor and jokes that was originally in the Japanese version.

I dont say this as a so-called "elitist", but watch the anime subbed! Plus you'll get to hear some Japanese rap which is always fun and Toshii from GINTAMA voices Mugen :D
who_dat_ninjaDec 4, 2012 4:03 AM
Nov 29, 2012 1:05 PM
Jul 2012
Subs is actully pretty good. I watch one episode of dubs in one part, it's averange but good. So sub for me.
Nov 29, 2012 1:12 PM

Sep 2011
I'm watching in dub right now, its fantasticd, watched the first 3 episodes in sub agian and it doesnt have the same feel, mugen and fuu dont seem to be putting as much emotion into their characters and mugen doesnt come off as awesomely. Not bad but the dub gives it way more style

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 4, 2012 4:12 AM

Sep 2012
I like dubbed coz you don't have to go back a few seconds if you missed something. However subs seem to have more emotional influence, especially in fights when the characters yell out their lungs, the dubbed version just sounds weird.
Dec 28, 2012 1:09 PM
Jul 2012
Just watched the dub. It sounded odd for the first time rewatching it. Mugen and Jin sounded ok. But, Fuu voiced not that good.Others sound aright.Still perfer subs once again.
Mar 11, 2014 1:12 PM

Jul 2013
The dub isn't really better than the sub version, but Samurai Champloo's dub is definitely one of the best I've heard along with Bebop and Baccano.
Jul 30, 2014 10:47 AM

Aug 2008
Both are pretty good can't really go wrong with either. slight edge to sub on background characters. Mugen is voiced by two very good VA eng/jap.
Jul 31, 2014 1:59 AM

Jul 2014
Dub.
"This fucking beer, It's fucking tasty" - Kaiji Itou
Oct 11, 2014 9:20 AM
Mar 2012
Dub due to the hip-hop elements, but they're both good. Champloo is a perfect example of an anime to point out to sub elitists. Champloo and Baccano.
Stuff like the episode with the dueling brothers, or the freestyling dudes is just better in English.
Nov 14, 2014 4:23 AM

Sep 2008
its a bit late now, but I added a third option.
Jul 22, 2015 7:12 AM
Sep 2013
Honestly, most of the time I prefer subbed by far. Dubbed (in my opinion) usually don't capture the mood of the anime or their voice just doesn't seem right for the character. An example of this would be clannad dubbed / subbed. By far, subbed captures the emotional impacts of the story and the characters themselves. Dubbed is just... oh God stop.

However, there are of course exceptions to this. Basically, the vise versa, and that is samurai champloo. In the first episode I had constantly switched between subbed and dubbed and by FAR, the dubbed easily captures the character, settings, and mood much better than the subbed. For example, the samurai's voice (this is in the first few minutes of the first episode so don't worry no spoiler) when he talked back to his executioner captures his image perfectly. Even the executioner (or whoever he was) sounded very calm and didn't fit the scene in the subbed. Needless to say, in the dubbed I felt the VA captured it fantastically.

Do yourself a favor and don't be a "subbed elitist" and watch this show in dubbed. Please....
Sep 29, 2016 7:56 PM

Jul 2012
The japanese dub for the samurai guy is so bad, not the afro one
よろしく!
Feb 7, 2018 4:58 AM
Jul 2017
Finished the anime in sub and loved it. Rewatching Samurai Champloo in dub and I'm switching back and forth with the sub. I honestly didn't like the dub bc their voices didn't match their personalities. I think Mugen sounded more careless and badass in the sub. And also bc he has the same va as Zoro in the sub it's even more badass hahahaha. But yeah Jin also doesn't sound as calm as he really is in situations. Jin sounds more interested in the dub when he really could not give a f***. There are situations where Jin does deep down care but he still gives off a no f***s vibe. And for Fuu. She just doesn't sound like a 15 year old which she is.
Feb 8, 2018 3:53 PM
Jun 2017
I watched dub after that watched the last few episodes in sub because I felt bad for not listening to the Japanese voice actors and dam.. The dub was better! Just watch a few minutes of episode 1 in sub and dub and decide
Feb 26, 2018 12:51 PM

Apr 2017
Japanese anime, takes place in Japan with Japanese characters.

"if u dont watch it in english dub u are elitist fag hurrdurrdurr"
Mar 30, 2018 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
Dub is really good, however for samurai champloo, it's not really important which one is better or it's not the real issue here. Japanese setting, culture and history are main focus in many episodes and they are the essential themes of the series in general.

You can go with sub or dub for the first run, but I can recommend at least for once samurai champloo should be seen in japanese.
Jun 30, 2021 12:59 PM
Dec 2017
both were pretty good.

Jul 2, 2022 6:25 PM

Dec 2021
Champloo is one of the few good dubs out there

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Akral - Sep 17, 2007

67 by Buzz-1 »»
Yesterday, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cero - Oct 20, 2008

373 by ZeyadxMoustafa »»
Apr 2, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

186 by plus_SlamDunk »»
Mar 28, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

142 by CyrahOmega »»
Mar 18, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RyanBebop - Feb 22, 2010

55 by GingZ »»
Mar 15, 12:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.