Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 4, 2010 8:09 PM

Feb 2009
I really wasn't expecting much and was shocked at how much I liked it. I will most definitely be following this one.
Oct 4, 2010 8:24 PM

Jul 2009
EPIC cast AND Chiaki Kon? Do like.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Oct 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Jul 2010
A bit obvious, from he opening and such what the pairings will be. I don't mind it's kind of cute so far. Zakuro is a tsundere X3
The outhouse scene was funny xD
Anyone who is a fantastic gif maker please contact me! ;)
Oct 4, 2010 8:52 PM

Jan 2010
It was ok.. can't say anything more.. chant was good.. hope it gets better for the next episodes..
Oct 4, 2010 9:05 PM

Apr 2009
This is probably the best well drawn series this year. Beautiful effects, scenery and attacks. The story is so so atm tho.
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

Oct 4, 2010 9:06 PM

Jan 2010
it was good. reminds me of Ouran in some parts. the OP/ED was also good.
Oct 4, 2010 10:13 PM
Jul 2009
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Admittedly, the Seinen tag is the only reason I'm watching this.

However, there isn't the slightest hint of Seinen here. EXPLAIN, MAL!

It just means that the original manga was published in a seinen magazine (even if the content wasn't the best fit). As for the anime, I bet Aniplex is targeting a female audience.

Anyway, the source material largely dictates the style/content of any adapted show. Deen can easily be blamed for poor animation quality, but it isn't like they're responsible for the various cliches found in their shows. If they're making many similar shows with similar quirks, it's because sponsors are asking them to adapt those types of properties (many studios get pigeonholed the same way once they find a successful formula. For instance, AIC is the go-to studio for a harem comedy).
Oct 4, 2010 11:20 PM

Dec 2007
I believe this episode was pretty good. I loved the chanting, the over-mentioned toilet scene, and the secondary full chant at the end ^^. It's good and love the character interactions.

I don't see the need to crap on this Anime. If you don't like it don't watch it? Just move on?
Oct 4, 2010 11:24 PM

Oct 2009
Wasn't particularly great though some parts were quite lovely. But I can see this getting old, fast. I've only read the one chapter that has been scanlated so I'm not sure about the rest of the material. Hopefully it'll develop into something more than a generic fantasy shoujo.
Oct 4, 2010 11:25 PM

Sep 2009
EuroSubstance said:
I don't see the need to crap on this Anime. If you don't like it don't watch it? Just move on?

Man, if I had a nickel from every time I heard the "Don't like don't watch" argument... then I'd wonder why the hell I was using foreign currency. But that's besides the point. These are DISCUSSION threads. We are supposed to DISCUSS these series. It's the first episode. There is absolutely no reason to not bring perfectly valid faults to the table.
Oct 4, 2010 11:52 PM

Jul 2009
Lind_L_Tailor said:
EuroSubstance said:

Man, if I had a nickel from every time I heard the "Don't like don't watch" argument... then I'd wonder why the hell I was using foreign currency. But that's besides the point. These are DISCUSSION threads. We are supposed to DISCUSS these series. It's the first episode. There is absolutely no reason to not bring perfectly valid faults to the table.

While you do have a point, it's rather difficult to discuss merits and flaws of a series based on the first episode. Not that it's supposed to happen this way, but I've seen many a show be bashed into the ground for being "generic" or "boring" or "cliche" in the Episode 1 thread. Same thing applies to praisers: a show isn't "best evar" or "best in season" or "LIFE CHANGING" based on episode 1 either.

Personal opinion for first episode:
Pros = Great cast, great animation, seems like a fun show
Cons = Not much in terms of conflict outside the romantic lulz, hoping it won't turn into an UGH-worthy fantasy shoujo
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Oct 4, 2010 11:54 PM

Apr 2009
Great into episode, got more than I had expected out of it, and looking forward to more.
Oct 5, 2010 12:24 AM

Jun 2007
I absolutely loved it. I can already tell it's going to be my favorite of the season. You can't go wrong with Sakurai Takahiro. <33333

Oct 5, 2010 12:27 AM

Jul 2010
good start

4/5
Oct 5, 2010 12:50 AM

Jan 2010
Okay that was eh... Strange. O.o
Oct 5, 2010 1:51 AM
Jul 2010
Every season, the anime distribution is as follows: 50% based on manga, 25% based on novels, 25% on games/visual novels, there's very few original animes. Why? Because it takes a TON of investment (ever wonder why on some anime, the characters look like they are drawn by different people each time...well it IS.) So anime dont compete with each other, it's more like stocks. So in this case, J.C. Staff decided investing in the manga Otome Youkai Zakuro will make them money. Will it make as much money as ore no imouto? probably not. will it make money? probably, based on the success of the manga.
Oct 5, 2010 1:57 AM

Apr 2007
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Admittedly, the Seinen tag is the only reason I'm watching this.

However, there isn't the slightest hint of Seinen here. EXPLAIN, MAL!

This. Meh. 2/5
Oct 5, 2010 2:11 AM
Jul 2010
This isn't seinen, it's most likely josei. the seinen demographic is Male 21+, the josei demographic is Female 21+. MAL probably doesnt make a distinction between the two. Thats why you get a lot of pissed off american male fans watching a show called maiden demon zakuro and wondering why it wasnt what they expected
Oct 5, 2010 2:58 AM

Feb 2010
over the top comedy i'm in :P
Oct 5, 2010 2:58 AM
Jun 2008
Ahh, This is a better version of Occult with a better version of Bunmei =P
Oct 5, 2010 4:20 AM

May 2008
that was quite ok i guess =D

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Oct 5, 2010 5:30 AM

Jun 2009
Got my second fav series for this season XD
Oct 5, 2010 5:58 AM

Jun 2008
LaAmaya said:
Unexpectedly good one, I think. I liked the exorcism song.

Indeed. A lot better than i thought it would be.
The guy was hilarious using bishonen tactics to hide his cowardliness. Lol at the moment he played the hero saving those pumpkins thing and then he couldn't move from fear.

I liked the art and the coloring. They where made very well. OP and ED where also very good.

It seems we are gonna have some spirit fighting romance and am fine with it. The guys seem fun and the girls are cute and all. Our little tsundere and mr.bishounen are both from the non annoying sympathetic type of there category so i liked them.

MorningGlory said:

And a more sweet instead of dark atmosphere.
Oct 5, 2010 6:00 AM

Aug 2009
Well that made a pretty good impression.. I like it!
Oct 5, 2010 6:23 AM

Nov 2009
exorcism song before opening was really beautiful >.<.
Oct 5, 2010 6:24 AM

Feb 2009
MorningGlory said:

Huh?Occult's characters were actually interesting and somewhat funny.Hopefully these characters will achieve their level of ''compellingness'' till the end of the series.

Still,it was oddly dynamic and the exorcism scenes were gorgeous.
Urufuzu_reinOct 5, 2010 6:54 AM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Oct 5, 2010 6:35 AM

Aug 2008
A very bad start for this series. The characters were absolutely terrible (except the tall guy), the attempted comedy failed, and on top of that it was just plain boring. I actually had decent expectations for this, but now it's definitely a strong candidate for my worst of the season. Starting at 3/10.
Oct 5, 2010 6:43 AM

Dec 2009
Rhypo said:
Meh, it was ok but I don't think it can compete with the other animes that recently started airing.

True, It's good but not good enough.

I love the fact that the male character is a wuss in a otome game adaptation . I hope the comedy keeps up .
Oct 5, 2010 7:04 AM

Feb 2008
LOL, the male characters in this anime are simllar to those from Ouran !
And the whole youkai/demon, hanyou/halfdemon thing reminds me of InuYasha.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Oct 5, 2010 7:58 AM

Oct 2007
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Not necessarily, but here it's a serious failing point.

As for Deen, both of the previous shows I mentioned were by Deen, the animation feels a lot like their style, and overall this seems like the kind of crap Deen so often produce.
I don't think that is a serious failing point here unless you came here with a mindset that you are expected to see something big from this show which I did not.

I like both Deen and J.C. Staff but do I know both of them making shitty show? Yes I do, so do other companies.

Linalee-Stratos said:
Why is it so wrong to say that you like other shows better than this. Its the same as saying 'I like Ouran way better than Air'. Its a personal opinion or are we not supposed to have these nowadays on the forums.
Seriously, I watch random shows. If one is less entertaining than the other, I will keep that in mind and say it out loud. What's the problem in that?
There is nothing wrong to say what you like or don't like, or more like to compare/compete how ever you want. And I have no right to disallow it. But to come out of blue and say:
Meh, it was ok but I don't think it can compete with the other animes that recently started airing.
Don't you think it feels wrong? I mean, are we watching anime or are we playing a game?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 5, 2010 8:13 AM

Dec 2008
Loved it! Can't wait for the next episode!
Oct 5, 2010 9:21 AM

Nov 2007
To those who want to discuss crap, I will highly recommend to go here. -_-"

Anyways, as for the anime, I totally enjoyed the first episode. Yeah, it might be just another shoujo anime to many, and the comedy not being of the top notch but I liked the setting which is pretty innovative if you asked me. The girls are absolutely kawaii~ and I already fell for Zakuro (Nakahara Mai) and Hotaru (Hanazawa Kana) and two of my favourite seiyuu actually gave their voices. Not to mention Hino Satoshi, Sakurai Takahiro and ever awesome Horie Yui.

I am crazy over romance anime, so yes, if I decide on Kuragahime, this very one is pretty much all that I need to round up my fall anime quota. already picked Bakuman, Hakuouki 2, Ore no Imouto, Shinrei Tantei Yakumo and Star Driver. and I am absolutely happy ^_^
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 5, 2010 9:24 AM

Feb 2010
Siva said:
Linalee-Stratos said:
Why is it so wrong to say that you like other shows better than this. Its the same as saying 'I like Ouran way better than Air'. Its a personal opinion or are we not supposed to have these nowadays on the forums.
Seriously, I watch random shows. If one is less entertaining than the other, I will keep that in mind and say it out loud. What's the problem in that?
There is nothing wrong to say what you like or don't like, or more like to compare/compete how ever you want. And I have no right to disallow it. But to come out of blue and say:
Don't you think it feels wrong? I mean, are we watching anime or are we playing a game?
Ok, I just checked if I might have used the wrong word because you apparently didn't get the meaning of what I said but fortunately I used the right one. I'm not into tl;dr so you'll have to deal with a simple explanation: In my fucking humble opinion Otome Youkai Zakuro, after the first impression, does not look like that I'll enjoy this as much as the other animes that recently started airing and I don't think the crowd will either, this does not mean, by no means, that Otome Youkai Zakuro is an anime that isn't even worth being watched.
Oct 5, 2010 9:29 AM

May 2009
Lind_L_Tailor said:
EuroSubstance said:

You are right about that, but you actually used the words "shit" and "crap" in every sentences, so it seemed like you had no intention to discuss the anime, just wanted to troll. And there is a BIG DIFFERENCE. You know, BIG DIFFERENCE.
Oct 5, 2010 10:17 AM

Sep 2009
Siva said:
]I don't think that is a serious failing point here unless you came here with a mindset that you are expected to see something big from this show which I did not.

I expected to see characters that were remotely original and not be hit with a long string of annoying clichés and archetypes.

viral_hun said:
You are right about that, but you actually used the words "shit" and "crap" in every sentences, so it seemed like you had no intention to discuss the anime, just wanted to troll. And there is a BIG DIFFERENCE. You know, BIG DIFFERENCE.

I said the word "crap" once. And having a dissenting opinion is not tantamount to trolling. :/
Oct 5, 2010 10:20 AM

Jul 2009
I'm quite happy that they're finally starting making romance that does not have harem or a lot of guys and a single girl.... It's fun 'coz every character has it's own love problem and so on >-< I' m waiting for the enxt ep !!so thumb Up !!!
Oct 5, 2010 10:54 AM

Jun 2009
Generic and cliche-filled it might be... but I don't think I've actually seen a "generic" show so I can't tell. xD

I did enjoy it, though. More than Star Driver, anyway.
Oct 5, 2010 11:46 AM

Oct 2009
I really liked it. I wasn't sure what to expect but it turned better than what i imagined.
Not regretting choosing it this season.
Can't wait to see the rest.
Oct 5, 2010 12:42 PM

Oct 2007
@Rhypo: Well I never expected a lot of people to watch this show either.

Lind_L_Tailor said:
I expected to see characters that were remotely original and not be hit with a long string of annoying clichés and archetypes.
LOL with that poster art, I think you expect thing way too much.

Oct 5, 2010 12:42 PM

May 2008
I didn't really have high expectations when I decided on it, but it turned out a lot, lot better than expected. I really liked the first episode, and seriously can't wait for more!
Oct 5, 2010 1:06 PM

Sep 2009
Siva said:
Lind_L_Tailor said:
LOL with that poster art, I think you expect thing way too much.

Feel free to accuse my expectations rather than actually explaining why I'm wrong.
Oct 5, 2010 2:45 PM

Oct 2007
Base on word Seinen alone, do you expect this to be somewhere near as good a Saraiya Goyou or what? Why do you set your standard so high that a show like this will never get a chance to shine even a little in your place? Well it is not like my problem anyway.

Oct 5, 2010 3:02 PM

Sep 2009
Siva said:
Base on word Seinen alone, do you expect this to be somewhere near as good a Saraiya Goyou or what? Why do you set your standard so high that a show like this will never get a chance to shine even a little in your place? Well it is not like my problem anyway.

No, I do not. I really don't tend to expect things to be as good as Saraiya Goyou. But this falls short of the passing grade by being utterly generic and cliché. I don't set my standards that high or anything, but I generally expect shows to at least do something that will make them worth watching. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Oct 5, 2010 3:33 PM

Oct 2007
Well I guess maybe the reason is that you carefully pick few shows to watch with some some expectation from them while I pick almost anything that is subbed and then drop what I don't like later on after a few episodes. Honestly before I watched this show I have no expectation from it only one thing in mind that I will drop it after the first episode because I expected to see some long boring talking about ancient past with a lot of cliché fanservice(Kanokon, Wagaya no Oinari-sama, etc...) but no this episode doesn't have that. And I don't mean this episode is anything great but rather entertainment, at least for me.

Oct 5, 2010 3:36 PM

Sep 2009
Except that's not really how I do things at all. If something looks like it has a shot at being god, I watch it.

Also, this seems terribly irrelevant.
Oct 5, 2010 3:59 PM
Sep 2010
I thought this anime was absolutely fantastic. All the characters had their own distinct personalities, which means the show will definitely be fresh. Not only that but they are all very enjoyable. I also love how each of the men have their female partners, so we will get to see nice love developing between each of them (Hopefully), which also keeps the show fresh. Honestly, if this show didnt do any sort of battle scenes for the rest of the anime, I wouldnt mind at all, I like seeing the characters antics in what they do, though Im sure the action does indeed bring another flavor to the anime to attract even more people which is a plus. Im glad that each of the male characters have their flaws, because no one wants to be a perfect male getting all the attention. Its going to be extremely hard this season to figure out what the best anime is.

And to all you people who are complaining that this show is cliche. That seems like a pretty stupid thing to say. First off, every original idea that is used in anime means that there is 1 less original idea out there. So obviously as the years go by, anime is going to seem to be having the same concepts of the anime before them. When anime first came out no one ever complained because there were a ton of ideas that could be used. Oh and by the way, if you say something like "There are a ton of ideas that can still be used", Ill bet you there was an anime that has already done it, and if it didnt, then it probably is some stupid wacky idea in the first place. In conclusion, complaining that an anime is too cliche or whatever is just flat out stupid.

Also about the whole comparing this anime to other animes. yea its perfectly fine to say you like 1 anime over the other, but to actually compare an anime to another anime of different genre's is stupid. And dont use a Code Geass or a Clannad After Story to compare these new anime that comes out. Enjoy the anime for what it is. If the anime has entertained you, then it has served its purpose. I swear there are so many people here that have to be nitpicky about every thing in anime and just cant sit down and enjoy it for what the anime is

Also I think in order to judge an anime correctly, you need to judge it on how well it presented its genre's. Like complaining that Seitokai Yakuindomo didnt have any romance is stupid because it was intended to be a comedy and thats all.

Well I ranted long enough, this anime is spectacular and I cant wait to see more
Oct 5, 2010 4:49 PM

Sep 2009
Superluccix said:
And to all you people who are complaining that this show is cliche. That seems like a pretty stupid thing to say. First off, every original idea that is used in anime means that there is 1 less original idea out there. So obviously as the years go by, anime is going to seem to be having the same concepts of the anime before them. When anime first came out no one ever complained because there were a ton of ideas that could be used. Oh and by the way, if you say something like "There are a ton of ideas that can still be used", Ill bet you there was an anime that has already done it, and if it didnt, then it probably is some stupid wacky idea in the first place. In conclusion, complaining that an anime is too cliche or whatever is just flat out stupid.

Also about the whole comparing this anime to other animes. yea its perfectly fine to say you like 1 anime over the other, but to actually compare an anime to another anime of different genre's is stupid. And dont use a Code Geass or a Clannad After Story to compare these new anime that comes out. Enjoy the anime for what it is. If the anime has entertained you, then it has served its purpose. I swear there are so many people here that have to be nitpicky about every thing in anime and just cant sit down and enjoy it for what the anime is

wut

Haha, no. Nobody made any specific comparisons to any anime they expected this to be. Upon watching, I judged this to be a clichéd shoujo, with unlikeable archetypes that have been used over and over and over. It's just going to be a one-dimensional love story with a bunch of magical girl action spliced inbetween.

And here's the thing, I'm not expecting every anime to do everything in a completely new way. Everything in media is simply made up of tropes, but it's nice to see them used in a new way, which this does not do in the slightest. It's going over a bunch of tired clichés that weren't good in the first place, and have only decayed from overuse.
Oct 5, 2010 5:21 PM
Sep 2010
Lind_L_Tailor said:
Superluccix said:

wut

Haha, no. Nobody made any specific comparisons to any anime they expected this to be. Upon watching, I judged this to be a clichéd shoujo, with unlikeable archetypes that have been used over and over and over. It's just going to be a one-dimensional love story with a bunch of magical girl action spliced inbetween.

And here's the thing, I'm not expecting every anime to do everything in a completely new way. Everything in media is simply made up of tropes, but it's nice to see them used in a new way, which this does not do in the slightest. It's going over a bunch of tired clichés that weren't good in the first place, and have only decayed from overuse.

Um, yes they did. One person mentioned this being an enhanced version of Occult Academy, but thats not the point. Im saying that a bunch of people, once they see a great anime like Code Geass, will use that a the standard for judging anime.

Ok you judged it to be cliche, so its cliche, the majority of anime is cliche, its not something to be used for say bad things about a series. Its dumb. Its not just anime that deteriorates on originality, its all types of mainstream media.

And I agree, its always nice to see something that looks to be cliche, be used in a new way. Thats always a plus. But I dont see how this anime doesnt fall into that type of category. Yes its about romance, yes its about comedy, but it involves spirits and humans interacting so they can establish a better relation between the two? Im pretty sure thats already a twist there.

Since you dont like this anime, will you be continuing to watch it? I dont tell people after the first episode "Well if you dont like it then dont watch it" because this forum is for discussion and it makes perfect sense to hear the pros and cons, however watching this show AFTER episode 1 and complaining about the show, thats where it gets kinda dumb, if you already have a ton of discontent for the first episode. I mean no one here wants to hear negative comments about every single episode of a series.

But hey, I probably sounded like a douche so lemme try to soften my approach. I agree that if something is original, its probably going to have a better impression on some people, maybe Im defending this because I havent watched anime for over 10 years,(Im not assuming you have, but I think I will assume you have more anime experience.....however the hell that is defined) so maybe I dont know what its like to see something repeated over and over extensively, so I suppose my entire post was biased. *sigh*, there goes being able to debate well, my motto is to be able to see both points of view before me focusing on one point of view. Ah screw it who cares xD

Edit: Damn, this site isnt like Crunchyroll, I cant put my message in Spoiler tags so I dont take up too much space. Im sorry guys
SuperluccixOct 5, 2010 5:31 PM
Oct 5, 2010 5:38 PM

Sep 2009
Superluccix said:
Um, yes they did. One person mentioned this being an enhanced version of Occult Academy, but thats not the point. Im saying that a bunch of people, once they see a great anime like Code Geass, will use that a the standard for judging anime.

Ok you judged it to be cliche, so its cliche, the majority of anime is cliche, its not something to be used for say bad things about a series. Its dumb. Its not just anime that deteriorates on originality, its all types of mainstream media.

Code Geass? Great? Mwuhahaha!

Sorry, I know that's irrelevnt, but I still find it funny that that would be standard used here.

And no, the majority of anime is not cliché. The majority of anime is made of parts that have been used before. It becomes cliche when so many of the same parts are used in a ludicrously familiar manner, making the show pointless, as is the case here.
Oct 5, 2010 5:46 PM
Sep 2010
First let me say I have never watched Code Geass, and I only assume it was great due to how popular it is, and how I practically havent found anybody who hated it. But the point was using any sort of anime which was considered great, I just wanted to throw an example out, you can replace it with something else as you see fit.

I still dont see how this show can be belittled for being cliche.
What exactly makes this show cliche? The personalities of the characters? Sure we have a couple of them we have seen before, if not all. This is supposed to be a romance anime with a nice atmosphere, and those personalities are ideal for this type of anime, so its obvious you want these personalities. Well not obvious, since I guess any girl with any personality could work, but Im pretty sure these were ideal. If not that, then what else could it be?

If by going by your definition of Cliche which means a bunch of similar parts being used in 1 anime.....then can you name 5 anime that has basically the same scenario as this? I sure as hell cant name one.
SuperluccixOct 5, 2010 5:59 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» It was only the perfect anime for the first two episodes until....

Kiryotsu - Jan 31

2 by lifeandstories »»
Feb 1, 1:54 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2010

70 by CalmTeaTime »»
Dec 11, 2023 3:19 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Dec 27, 2010

123 by Dawizz »»
Jun 10, 2023 7:08 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 13, 2010

82 by Zekkenshin »»
Feb 10, 2021 1:28 PM

Poll: » Otome Youkai Zakuro Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Jinjos - Oct 11, 2010

73 by removed-user »»
Aug 14, 2020 4:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.