Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2008 1:04 PM

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Akai Shuuichi is dead D:

well, i don't think he is but if it is true, there better be a good reason why he had to die.
May 27, 2008 9:33 AM

Oct 2007
care to explain who this guy was... the last time i watched this show was in the 300s somewhere
Jun 13, 2008 5:09 PM

May 2007
Ah, finally caught up a bit with this series. I can't believe he died. ;_; I'm also thinking (hoping?) that he's not, but can't think of a way he would've gotten out of this one.

@nyamo: He's an FBI agent.

Edit: Oh yeah, and what a coinkidink. I watched this on Friday the 13th, and it was also Friday the 13th in this episode.
konakonaJun 14, 2008 12:52 AM
Jul 1, 2008 12:15 AM

Feb 2008
lol omg 500 episodes.... is this anime really so good that it needs this much? i might check it out later......but 500+?
Jul 13, 2008 1:05 AM

Apr 2008
I can't believe he's dead. It has to be some trick so he can do work in the shadows.
Aug 4, 2008 10:59 AM
Feb 2008
duotrouble said:
I can't believe he's dead. It has to be some trick so he can do work in the shadows.

My first post on any forum on MyAnimeList. Like, wewt.

Anyhow. If you check out Akai's profile on Wikipedia, it actually says 'Suspicious Death', and not just 'Death'... from which we can infer that there's something (or several somethings) that don't quite add up. In fact, there's an external link that takes you to another website that explains the discrepancies in his 'death scene'. It's here, if you're interested.

Anyway, to summarize: it's not noo much of a stretch to imagine that Akai wore a bulletproof vest and that the blood was fake. If you look really closely when Kir actually fires her gun the second time, you'll see she seems to move it just a fraction to the left... which means she didn't shoot him in the head. As Gin and Vodka drove away when the police got near, they wouldn't have been able to see if Akai got up out of the car and escaped the explosion. Of course, the burned body would have to be someone else - someone who already died. Ring any bells? ;D

Aaah, I've rambled. Sorry to any TL;DR folks. =P

Also... I don't know whether to vote 'loved it' because it really was an awesome episode, or 'hated it' because Akai might have REALLY died after all. D:
Jan 31, 2010 12:31 AM

Aug 2007
Well, I just watched this episode. Kind of weird posting here 2 years after the last comment but eh. I think the last poster hit the nail on the head. While watching this I didn't go through any emotions because I just couldn't believe he died. After watching so many shounens where the protagonists were thought to be dead but were actually alive, it just seemed like an unnatural death. I couldn't even picture it being true. I have suspicions that it could be true, especially with that line vermouth said about them not needing two silver bullets which would be a valid (and pretty much only) reason for getting rid of him. It would really be a shame though since he was the only ally Shinichi had that was actually intelligent.

However, to expand on the last post and the burned body cell phone thing, I think I can figure it out:

However, all the evidence right now points to him being dead so those are just suspicions. When the truck was burning it showed his body in the same position he fell in when he was shot and with rigamortis and 30 seconds, I don't think he could have gotten a corpse to fall the same way. I think it sucks that they didn't kill off an annoying character instead but it's nice to see an anime that isn't afraid of killing off popular characters.
Feb 6, 2012 10:48 PM

Jun 2010
I wouldn't mind the series getting rid of an unimaginative Mary Sue like Akai, but I don't believe it. The FBI was able to confirm his death because Jodie happened to be in possession of Conan's cellphone which is because he lent it to her because her's just happened to stop working for some reason.

Remember during the hospital storyline when Conan dropped the spy's cellphone in water so he couldn't use it?

So I'm sure this is just another deception played by supermen Akai and Conan on that silly female Jodie.

It's worth mentioning at the end of this 14-part story (well, actually there must have been at least three or four episodes' worth of unrelated material in there) about the Organization that Ai wasn't the least bit important when an Organization episode used to to mean an Ai episode. This just means that the story has wrung everything out of her and she's just a dry husk left to stand around doing nothing, I guess. Personally I find this very disappointing.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, none of the FBI characters know that Conan is actually Shinichi. This means that no one questions the presence of what they think is a 7 year-old child during any of this. That's not believable. It's like the writer has lost touch and lost interest in the "shrunk down to a child" gimmick and just ignores it. None of the other regular cast are important in this storyline so rather than a continuation of what storyline we had it's like a whole new show. The only common factor is the secret criminal organization and that's just a stock plot component.
FronzelFeb 10, 2012 1:42 AM
Aug 6, 2013 10:03 PM

Apr 2012
Also, if I'm remembering correctly, none of the FBI characters know that Conan is actually Shinichi.

I am not so sure about this because Jodie Sensei bugged and observed Professor Agasa's lab and the Professor called Conan every time Shinichi in their conversations.

After all I am really sad that Akai seems to be death because he was one of my favorites.

I agree with Tigerz, Conan has two mobile phones so maybe the police had the wrong finger prints and a wrong burned body. It seems a little unrealistic but maybe the CIA was involved and came up with a plan only Akai and the CIA knew about.
Somehow rescueing Rena and himself. Maybe he has now a new identity and will show up in one of the final chapters, how knows?

I hope Aoyama will bring him back to life in the future because it's Manga and Anime :3
Dec 18, 2013 1:53 PM

Nov 2010
tigerz said:
That is definitely possible, I was thinking the same thing while reading his post.

Fronzel said:
I wouldn't mind the series getting rid of an unimaginative Mary Sue like Akai, but I don't believe it. The FBI was able to confirm his death because Jodie happened to be in possession of Conan's cellphone which is because he lent it to her because her's just happened to stop working for some reason.
That's Detective Conan for ya.

Fronzel said:
It's worth mentioning at the end of this 14-part story (well, actually there must have been at least three or four episodes' worth of unrelated material in there) about the Organization that Ai wasn't the least bit important when an Organization episode used to to mean an Ai episode. This just means that the story has wrung everything out of her and she's just a dry husk left to stand around doing nothing, I guess. Personally I find this very disappointing.
Forgot about that but it is true for now.

Fronzel said:
Also, if I'm remembering correctly, none of the FBI characters know that Conan is actually Shinichi. This means that no one questions the presence of what they think is a 7 year-old child during any of this. That's not believable. It's like the writer has lost touch and lost interest in the "shrunk down to a child" gimmick and just ignores it. None of the other regular cast are important in this storyline so rather than a continuation of what storyline we had it's like a whole new show. The only common factor is the secret criminal organization and that's just a stock plot component.
Yeah I've pointed that out a couple of times. This show has been just a weekly puzzle show, no need to further the plot, develop the characters or relationships, etc.

OT: Yeah I'm not sure that he's dead. I guess we'll have to see what happens later in the series.
Sep 16, 2014 5:46 PM

Jun 2008
He'd better not be dead ;__;

I'm so sad this arc is over. I want more Vermouth.
Sep 18, 2014 10:04 AM

Jan 2013
WTF?! Did he really just die? Anyway, that arc was pretty good and suspenseful. If he really is dead, then that was sad. If he's somehow alive, I would be really interested to see how he managed to pull that off. T_T
Dec 19, 2014 2:07 AM

Jul 2008
So at the end of it all, the Black Org wins, Rena is handcuffed to them and Akai is dead. Damn that Gin...
Jan 30, 2015 11:31 PM

Jul 2012
RIP Shuichi Akai. You will be missed..Great arc. I especially liked the hospital part where Conan and the FBI teamed up to transport Rena out of it safely. That was an amazing plot progression.
Aug 27, 2015 1:26 AM
Apr 2014
How would Akai's fingerprints get on Conan's cellphone?
At 14:41, Jodie told Takagi a fake story about how she dropped her cell in the morning and Akai picked it up for her. If that is so, how would Akai's fingerprints get on Conan's cellphone if Akai picked up Jodie's cell in the morning and Conan lent his cell to Jodie at night?
Aug 27, 2015 2:24 PM
Apr 2014
RogueGeeLoki said:
How would Akai's fingerprints get on Conan's cellphone?
At 14:41, Jodie told Takagi a fake story about how she dropped her cell in the morning and Akai picked it up for her. If that is so, how would Akai's fingerprints get on Conan's cellphone if Akai picked up Jodie's cell in the morning and Conan lent his cell to Jodie at night?

Oh, never mind. I found the answer to this. In episode 503, Takagi leaves the room six minutes in and does not witness Conan giving the phone to Jodie.

Instead of identifying Akai by matching fingerprints, why couldn't they have used a more reliable method like having one of the FBI members pretend to be an acquaintance of Akai and fabricate a story like wanting to make sure the dead body isn't Akai, so he or she brings his dental records to see if it matches the dead body? Aren't teeth harder to duplicate, if it is even possible to manufacture teeth? This way, the FBI can dispel the chances of Akai using a disposable body. However, Akai might have thought about this, so there is a minuscule chance he somehow destroyed all of his own dental records and replaced it with the dead body's records.
Aug 27, 2015 2:37 PM
Apr 2014
I am 99% sure Akai isn't dead, but I am only this confident due to the fact that Haibara and Akai haven't had the chance to meet face to face. The writers haven't dug into this gold mine yet.
Aug 27, 2015 8:20 PM
Dec 2012
Fronzel said:
stuff

I agree with most of your criticisms, although I'm alright with Akai being hax since he's a badass. If we're talking of Sues, then Conan is obviously the biggest offender, and it's brought to ridiculous levels in this arc. I was waiting for the moment where someone would comment on that 7 year old kid who's following them around, making perfect deductions and unreasonably accurate predictions, but they all seemed to ignore it. I thought that at least Eisuke of all people would at least question what the hell Conan was doing with a bunch of FBI agents. They're just stretching this way too far now. Like how the fuck did he know for certain Akai had 'died' from just the cell phone hint? It's ridiculous. No human, no matter how fucking smart would be able to figure that out with that degree of certainty.

Honestly, I'm starting to think this show would be more enjoyable if they just scrapped Conan and replaced him with Heiji. At least he encounters true difficulties during investigation and making deductions. Conan is just like "I'm pretty much perfect except for the 1% of the time that my dad appears and one ups me". God damn I'm just so pissed off with this.

But yeah, this is yet more proof that Aoyama is a mediocre writer who neglects his strengths in favour of this pretentious nonsense. The only reason I still watch DC is because I like the characters but my patience is really wearing thin because of the almost complete lack of any growth or development in characters outside of Takagi and Haibara. Every other character is pretty much exactly the same as they were in the beginning (though their demeanours have changed throughout DC eras, these changes were the result of external factors as opposed to any development in the actual plot).

That said, this arc was pretty entertaining despite my ramblings. It felt like I was watching an actual show and not some neverending bullshit shonen crap. It is pretty sad that these 15 episodes contain more substance than the other 400+...
This community is terrible.
Apr 15, 2016 5:33 AM

Jan 2012
Good lord way too much bitchin' in this thread. XD Apparently y'all made it 500 episodes in without realizing what kinda show you're watchin'. XD Anyway pretty downbeat finale to this longest arc of the series so far, but the show goes on!
Mar 16, 2018 8:25 AM

Sep 2017
Damn this is first time someone important died in this series....I couldn't believe it but even I never thought ACE would die in One piece...So yeah everything doesn't happen as granted as always....:)
May 29, 2019 3:07 PM

Sep 2011
Fronzel said:

ideefixe said:
Fronzel said:
stuff
I agree with most of your criticisms. If we're talking of Sues, then Conan is obviously the biggest offender, and it's brought to ridiculous levels in this arc. I was waiting for the moment where someone would comment on that 7 year old kid who's following them around, making perfect deductions and unreasonably accurate predictions, but they all seemed to ignore it. I thought that at least Eisuke of all people would at least question what the hell Conan was doing with a bunch of FBI agents. They're just stretching this way too far now. Like how the fuck did he know for certain Akai had 'died' from just the cell phone hint? It's ridiculous. No human, no matter how fucking smart would be able to figure that out with that degree of certainty.

Honestly, I'm starting to think this show would be more enjoyable if they just scrapped Conan and replaced him with Heiji. At least he encounters true difficulties during investigation and making deductions. Conan is just like "I'm pretty much perfect except for the 1% of the time that my dad appears and one ups me". God damn I'm just so pissed off with this.

But yeah, this is yet more proof that Aoyama is a mediocre writer who neglects his strengths in favor of this pretentious nonsense. The only reason I still watch DC is because I like the characters but my patience is really wearing thin because of the almost complete lack of any growth or development in characters outside of Takagi and Haibara. Every other character is pretty much exactly the same as they were in the beginning (though their demeanours have changed throughout DC eras, these changes were the result of external factors as opposed to any development in the actual plot).

That said, this arc was pretty entertaining despite my ramblings. It felt like I was watching an actual show and not some neverending bullshit shonen crap. It is pretty sad that these 15 episodes contain more substance than the other 400+...

i pretty much agree with everything written in these two criticisms. There are so many things that are wrong about this anime: plot progress in a pace of 1 per 50 episodes, lack of character development (introducing them as an important character and then just wasting them like Jodei), too many inconsistencies, unrealistic events. All these reasons make it pretty clear why this show is not so popular outside of Japan.

This arc still is the longest BO arc as of now which, i think, was not that much entertaining and the rest of the show will pretty much be the same. Unrelated cases, one important episode per 50 or 100 episodes etc. It's been a while since i started feeling disappointed about this show but was waiting for this clash arc to decide how to proceed. And as of today, i think i will put the show on hold for a while..

About the episode, each and every one of us is pretty sure that he is not dead, you can just say this easily after watching 500+ episodes (or maybe 300+ excluding fillers). So far there has always been a proper (or too complicated) explanation for all the impossible scenarios. And i dont think this show can waste important characters this easily while they can make a good money of them.. So.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ember-moonMay 29, 2019 3:12 PM
Mar 11, 2020 3:50 AM
Nov 2019
tigerz said:
Well, I just watched this episode. Kind of weird posting here 2 years after the last comment but eh. I think the last poster hit the nail on the head. While watching this I didn't go through any emotions because I just couldn't believe he died. After watching so many shounens where the protagonists were thought to be dead but were actually alive, it just seemed like an unnatural death. I couldn't even picture it being true. I have suspicions that it could be true, especially with that line vermouth said about them not needing two silver bullets which would be a valid (and pretty much only) reason for getting rid of him. It would really be a shame though since he was the only ally Shinichi had that was actually intelligent.

However, to expand on the last post and the burned body cell phone thing, I think I can figure it out:

However, all the evidence right now points to him being dead so those are just suspicions. When the truck was burning it showed his body in the same position he fell in when he was shot and with rigamortis and 30 seconds, I don't think he could have gotten a corpse to fall the same way. I think it sucks that they didn't kill off an annoying character instead but it's nice to see an anime that isn't afraid of killing off popular characters.

Good point.
I think Akai put the corpse of the BO hospital guy in his C-1500 car and faked his death. So he pretended that he got shot (just like the detectives did at episode 219) to make Gin think it was real and then after Hondou Hidemi (aka Kir or Mizunashi Rena) left, he left the site through the distraction of the police.
Then, the BO would hear the news that a corpse was found in the site (which was the corpse of the BO hospital guy) which would make them think that he got killed.
The fingerprint would match the fingerprint on Conan' as the dead BO guy had touched the phone earlier in this arc, but that doesn't matter.
At the end of the episode, Conan didn't seem to be surprised about Akai's news, meaning he already knew beforehand what was going to happen to Akai. Also, the fact that he smiled makes me think that Akai may be alive. Maybe the two came up with the plan that I described. I have a feeling that Conan was related to what happened to Akai, but I don't really know anything for sure for now. I guess I'll just have to watch the show to find out.
Themeaningof4869Mar 11, 2020 3:55 AM
Oct 14, 2021 12:56 PM

Jan 2016
Damn bro, I don’t know what to believe, no way a badass can die like that right? Ugh now we probably gotta get through like 50 mediocre “iTs A sUiCidE” cases for a glimpse at the main story.

May 8, 2022 1:27 PM
Feb 2022
Shuichi akai noooooo
May 24, 2022 10:54 PM

Nov 2021
No way I refuse to believe this... there's gotta be some tricks behind this. Just no

May 2, 2023 1:09 AM
Sep 2020
Absolutely goated
Oct 8, 2023 3:07 AM
May 2019
good, but the ending of Akai meh i didnt like it
Jan 5, 5:14 AM

Nov 2017
WOW, episodes 489-504 are intense with one-hour formats leading up to the death of Akai Shūichi, who is the first major character in the series to die!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 11 Discussion

Jawaese - Aug 17, 2010

33 by xiao_li »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Meitantei Conan Episode 1119 Discussion

hai_X_is - Apr 6

8 by jcadle »»
Apr 14, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 1100 Discussion

hai_X_is - Oct 14, 2023

5 by AnimeLover813 »»
Apr 14, 3:57 AM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 1099 Discussion

hai_X_is - Sep 30, 2023

13 by AnimeLover813 »»
Apr 14, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 1098 Discussion

anime-prime - Sep 23, 2023

9 by AnimeLover813 »»
Apr 14, 3:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.